Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    A lovely day in the PNW today, less of a trip for some than others. Looking towards the UW and Madison Park areas of Seattle, from the east side of the 520 bridge project:

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    fintail said:

A lovely day in the PNW today, less of a trip for some than others. Looking towards the UW and Madison Park areas of Seattle, from the east side of the 520 bridge project:

G'day

I am not really sure that I fancy the idea of a floating bridge, especially on this scale. However, I am intrigued by it; there must be some feature of Lake Washington that makes a conventional bridge infeasible. What is it?

Remind me not to visit in a storm as there is not a lot of freeboard!

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I believe it is actually on pontoons in those floating sections, but Fin or Isell probably know for sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I actually don't know the reason for the floating bridges - maybe they are easier to build. They have pontoons I think, yes. Only had a sinking problem once, and it was after a big storm and the bridge was closed, anyway. The original floating bridge on the lake was built in like 1940, so it's a thing here.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2015
    Great road trip article.

My brother and his wife have been in town the last few days. Went sledding today.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Last weekend, took the Fusion to Ohio so we could get together for Mother's Day. Overall, averaged about 31mpg. First leg of the trip, 370 miles in 5 3/4 hours including 2 stops(none for fuel).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Taking my Escape to Vermont tomorrow, about 190 miles each way. I don't think I can make the round trip on a single tank of fuel. Filled up today @323 miles, but it took 13.6 gallons and the DTE read 3 miles to go.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think turning around at the state line really makes this more of a California road trip.

Arizona Road Trip in Pictures (F Type visits the F types)

• Options
    Made it round trip in the Escape without filling up, 389 miles. DTE read zero for the last mile. Decided to put a bit of gas from the lawn mower refill tank in it before filling up today. Overall mileage 27.5. Had to run the A/C the whole time. Vermont is a pretty drive, at least at this time of year.
  • Options
    Guess I'd rather have the car, but a free road trip isn't too shabby.

2015 Ford Mustang Dream Drive Sweepstakes Debuts
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    We're heading up to New Hampshire on Friday. Back Monday. A bit more of trip than explorer since he's near our halfway mark.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    fezo said:

We're heading up to New Hampshire on Friday. Back Monday. A bit more of trip than explorer since he's near our halfway mark.

Are you taking the "new" 5?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    That was the plan but my daughter need some help so we ended up home. Bummer. Did get a bunch of yardwork in which I haven't been able to do for years. Things look much better so while not the plan things went ok.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My wife flew back east and is helping our Port Huron friend pack up since the new owner moves in tomorrow. So, after push came to shove, they finished the last of the packing and hopped in our friend's Cruze and took off for New Mexico. They got as far at Toledo today (119 miles). :D

Going to be a bit boring, Interstate most all the way. They turned on the free trial of OnStar and it's only led them astray once so far.

Meanwhile, I have big plans tomorrow - going to take the garbage out. First time since December 1st (I'm in the county so weekly waste pickup isn't mandatory, and we recycle and compost most stuff). Got one garbage can and about 6 trash bags to dump.
  • Options
    Starting to pack for a camping trip to Chattanooga. Heading for Big Bend for the first night; dunno after that. Meanwhile, this guy took a road trip - nice gopher snake but I moved him a couple of lots away (until he finds his way back and freaks out our houseguest who's going to be housesitting for us the next couple of weeks).

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    We like our snakes around here! They keep the rodent population in check, and they scare off visitors after 3 days...

B)
  • Options
    Going 80 in Texas, legally. Heading for Marfa for lunch. Light load this trip (this direction at least; will be pretty full coming back home). And that's no bull.

• Options
  • Options
    Is it a steer? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Bum steer - lost an hour hitting Central Time but my navigator had the miles messed up. So ate lunch in Van Horn and just now walked around Marfa to stretch our legs.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    We took 90 all the way to the outskirts of San Antonio on our trip around Texas. Aside from the congestion in Del Rio, it is a wonderful highway. Saw more antelope than any place in the country. I remember having lunch in Alpine. Must have blinked going through Marfa.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    A few random clips from my road trip back from Palouse/Blue Mountains area on Sunday. Earlier clips were over-written, as the larger SD card didn't like the heat and direct sunlight, and wanted to be switched out. It worked fine later in the day.

As always, clips are best viewed in HD, and in "theater mode" or larger.

I think this is around Othello/Royal Slope area, Highway 26:

https://youtu.be/6tcL05Mn4UI

Near Ellensburg, I90:

https://youtu.be/RvOSv1-3ZLc

Snoqualmie Summit:

https://youtu.be/dCdvALeqhqo
  • Options
    gagrice said:

We took 90 all the way to the outskirts of San Antonio on our trip around Texas. Aside from the congestion in Del Rio, it is a wonderful highway. Saw more antelope than any place in the country. I remember having lunch in Alpine. Must have blinked going through Marfa.

We're on 90 right now - nice drive but not much cell coverage.
  • Options
    Nice, fin. I don't really notice the flat/straight aspect of Columbia Basin driving when I'm doing it, but I sure noticed in that first video!

And, Subarus get a bad rap for slow driving in Alaska, but that Outback in your last vid was determined to buck that reputation! You were going ~72; he was flying! LOL
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    xwesx said:

Nice, fin. I don't really notice the flat/straight aspect of Columbia Basin driving when I'm doing it, but I sure noticed in that first video!

And, Subarus get a bad rap for slow driving in Alaska, but that Outback in your last vid was determined to buck that reputation! You were going ~72; he was flying! LOL

Musta been the XT version...

:p
  • Options
    Fin, even though most people know there is desert in California, I think many believe that the Pacific Northwest is just all mountains, big trees and lots of water! But honestly, that first set of frames could be soybean fields in central Illinois :)
  • Options
    Today was a fun two ferry day. Free beach camping tonight at Bolivar Beach Flats Campground in Galveston. Nice breeze keeping the sand fleas away (and the heat).
  • Options
    Galveston - playing those Glen Campbell records? So is Wichita next - just kidding?
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    berri said:

Galveston - playing those Glen Campbell records? So is Wichita next - just kidding?

Precisely what I was thinking. That and how much I hate sand fleas. They don't have them on Hawaii beaches.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Going the southern route - hitting Lake Charles sometime this morning. [edit - scratch that. Could only take 20 minutes of the Interstate so we're cutting NE already.] Great song by the same name out there by Lucinda Williams. Also have Streets of Laredo stuck in my head from visiting there a couple of days ago.

The free beach wasn't "free". Wound up locking both sets of keys in the van and had to get a guy out to jimmy it. $65. Fun boon docking spot otherwise, and nice neighbors camping a half block away let us use their phone, since ours was locked in the car.

Ordinarily I'd have a hide-a-key but never got around to it on the new van.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    No idea where the power plant is, but lots of power lines heading north toward Houston. We are avoiding that area.

• Options
    Fun time in Chattanooga. Now on the return leg via the "northern" route (Kansas B) ).

Made better time skirting Bowling Green (no Corvette factory tour for me today) so we're heading toward the MO Bootheel unless we stop at Land Between the Lakes at the last minute. Maybe find some place to camp in Mark Twain NF.

Went by some big Hyundai plant near Russellville KY but don't know what it was. Distribution center maybe?
  • Options
    Oh, you need to do the Corvette factory! Way cool.
  • Options
    Next trip. :smile: Not making great time, but that's kind of the idea isn't it? Stayed at the Wrangler Camp with all the horses at Land Between the Lakes last night. Had the whole shady tent loop to ourselves. Great site for only $6 using my senior pass. Should be leaving KY shortly and crossing the Mississippi into the MO bootheel area shortly.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    We'll miss you... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Currently driving on Misery K, heading for Jasper.

That's in Missouri but the Aussie woman giving us directions on the Garmin is having a wee spot of trouble pronouncing Missouri. The road is too narrow for a white line, much less shoulders, but isn't too miserable otherwise. :D
  • Options
    Got to our friends' off-grid house in Taos this afternoon. Beautiful out, so we all have decided to sleep in their "back yard". Had to relocate this little guy first though.

• Options
    So it's not a turd in the outdoor plumbing B)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Drove to Leavenworth and back yesterday, a few random videos:

Heading east after Stevens Pass summit:

https://youtu.be/MhSq0-qnRKM

Westbound just after the summit:

https://youtu.be/vlSqPI6Spiw

As close as I get to off-roading (I refused to drive the fintail down this path last time I was there):

https://youtu.be/arBQKsTdQgw

As always, best viewed in HD, in theater mode or larger. I hope you like 90s alternative music, as that's the channel I was listening to yesterday.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Heavy duty whitewater in the first vid. Still impressed with your camera quality.
  • Options
    Started out for home and car started overheating. Pulled over and found a leak in a heater hose connector. So another day in Taos. Pulled over at a ranch road going into a water tank, and sure enough, a guy hauling water pulled in a couple of minutes later. Filled the overflow and topped up the radiator with his fresh water and limped ~6 miles into town with the heater on and found a shop. Going to take a while for the part to get here but we have a nice place to stay another night.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    stever said:

Got to our friends' off-grid house in Taos this afternoon. Beautiful out, so we all have decided to sleep in their "back yard". Had to relocate this little guy first though.

Wow; that really was a little guy; I think I've seen earthworms bigger than that! :p
  • Options
    Yeah, we wondered if he had brothers and sisters nearby. :)

Sitting on the John Dunn plaza in downtown Taos listening to a busker play the fiddle. Not a bad place to be stuck with car trouble.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stever said:

Started out for home and car started overheating. Pulled over and found a leak in a heater hose connector. So another day in Taos. Pulled over at a ranch road going into a water tank, and sure enough, a guy hauling water pulled in a couple of minutes later. Filled the overflow and topped up the radiator with his fresh water and limped ~6 miles into town with the heater on and found a shop. Going to take a while for the part to get here but we have a nice place to stay another night.

Time to think about that Kia Soul you've had your eye on!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Aw, it's just a little hose connector. B)

Every other part on the van is 8 years old with 150k on it too. Probably going to drive it back to Taos in a week for another visit. And yeah, time to get serious about some car shopping.
  • Options
    stever said:

Aw, it's just a little hose connector. B)

Every other part on the van is 8 years old with 150k on it too. Probably going to drive it back to Taos in a week for another visit. And yeah, time to get serious about some car shopping.

I guess I'm surprised you have to wait for the part - didn't they built something like eleventy-billion Dodge and Chrysler minivans? And it's not like Taos is some tiny little town.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Not sure where the runner came from but it took a while to get here. Santa Fe I suppose. YouTube has a $50 fix but this way I get new hoses too. And I get a block of free time to get all caught up here. :D

~6,000 people here, ~32,000 in the county.
  • Options
    stever said:

Not sure where the runner came from but it took a while to get here. Santa Fe I suppose. YouTube has a $50 fix but this way I get new hoses too. And I get a block of free time to get all caught up here. :D

~6,000 people here, ~32,000 in the county.

Guess it seemed bigger when we drove through it last summer. 10% the size of my town here in Colorado.

Still gives you an excuse to hit the new car lots ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    All the traffic on the one "main" road can make it seem like Gatlinburg or lots of other too-busy tourist towns sometimes. But if you know the back roads, you can get around pretty easy. The main two lane "highway" through town is often backed up a mile in either direction from the plaza. Still a great place to visit though.

Typical New Mexico - I'm parked on the road with the hood up and the water guy who showed up walks over and offers his hand by way of introduction. Such a nice custom here.
  • Options
    stever said:

All the traffic on the one "main" road can make it seem like Gatlinburg or lots of other too-busy tourist towns sometimes. But if you know the back roads, you can get around pretty easy. The main two lane "highway" through town is often backed up a mile in either direction from the plaza. Still a great place to visit though.

Typical New Mexico - I'm parked on the road with the hood up and the water guy who showed up walks over and offers his hand by way of introduction. Such a nice custom here.

True enough ... we went straight through town on the "main" road, with a quick stop for lunch.

I like Santa Fe much more ... our overnight stops there on this last trip to Sedona reinforced our desire to perhaps move there someday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator