Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    Have owned the Golf 10 months as of today and with about 9750 on the clock, looks like I'll be at 12K for the year. Since I stopped that West Palm gig, the mileage s down to about 1K/month which works for me. Spoke with that job on Friday and as much as I think I'd like to come back, and the fellow drivers I see from time to time have asked when I am returning, not sure it's the right thing to do. That almost 80 miles/day to come and go is really a lot after driving all day and it racks up a lot on the car. I was feeling pretty normal Friday so I felt I could do it again but feeling poorly on Saturday made me re-evaluate taking it on again. The family is totally against me returning but I am just not sure. I do love the driving part but that's about it...the few people I really clicked with have left and only see a few familiar faces. Just not sure.
    Have set aside about $160.00 in $1.00 bills for tips and tolls for our trip next month and will probably ramp that up to $200.00 by the time we leave, plenty I think. Not sure the payment method on the train into Grand Central or the number of days we'll use it...so far only on Columbus Day Monday and possibly that following Wednesday as the weekend is booked with reunion activities. Need a certified copy of my birth certificate and plan to go up to Peekskill on the 9th, Friday, to get it. And the other days have relative and friends scheduled. Think we'll need a rest once we get back home actually! Turns out I'll only miss one week at work since ours start on a Friday. Plan to work my 24 by going in Friday, Saturday and Monday before we leave and take the next week off. This way I can take another week before season starts to do something with the wife. Once tax season starts, she can't take off nor can I during the tourist season. Since she can't make the New York trip, feel I need to take just her and I away for a short get away.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Happy New Year all!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,635
    Tickets most likely from vending machine. Can always charge.

Bring bigger bills to cross George Washington bridge or tappan zee!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    songbird54songbird54 Member Posts: 41
    carnaught said:

The Buick Encore was fresh off the truck, Ruby Red/Titanium with the Convenience pkg. plus nav. Along with their smokin' 24 mos. lease deal, including no money down except first month's payment, is XM satellite radio, maintainence, and OnStar for the 24 mo. period, and no disposal fee at lease end. This is an additional car; we wanted a small workhorse. Positive comments fron Suydam, and others, plus my really liking the looks and features of the car also made me interested, so I couldn't resist.

I am currently shopping for a small AWD suv. I have driven the encore (24 hour test) as well as outlander sport, trax, tucson, cx-5 and forester. I loved the ride and looks of the encore. I did not care for the acceleration, but its just my commute, not a race. could you share the details of your lease. I am in NJ but it will give me an idea.

thanks!
  • Options
    suydam said:

"Buick Encore". Replacement for ?? Trim level? Give some details!

I follow this thread and I see you have the Encore. How long have you been driving it and what do you think? I did the 24 hour test drive on a FWD but I would prefer AWD. I only had a little problem with moisture on the windows, but it was like 90 degrees and raining and dark but for whatever reason I had trouble clearing it.

how is it getting onto a highway. Im in a 4cy elantra, so I am used to planning every move.

Thanks!
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I've had my Encore for 6 months now. We both love it. We have the FWD. it has plenty of acceleration for us. The little turbo gets you up to merging speed very quickly. I'm really liking the 6 speed auto Trans as well as it works very well with the engine. It's just right maneuverability wise and has a surprisingly versatile cargo capability. I also appreciate its quiet ride -- not used to that in a small vehicle! We have the mid level Convenience trim with sunroof and the carbon black paint. That has pretty much every feature I want except push button start. Did you take it on the highway during your 24 hour drive?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Thanks for the info
    I got it up to highway speeds on a faster road but with lights. It was a pleasure to drive. 
    I would miss heated seats and push button start but I can remotely start which is a plus 
    I'm looking for awd but I have a feeling this car does well in all kinds of weather even with fwd . I felt pretty planted on the road and I felt higher in this one than any other I tested. 
    Buick and Chevy have gone up quite a bit in reliability lately. 
    A 2 year lease sounds good right now but I do have my trade to think abt. 
  • Options
    We bought ours in February and did have quite a bit of snow left. FWD did fine. I wanted better FE. You don't need the heated seats with the upgraded cloth as it doesn't get cold the way leather does. I thought I would miss that but I haven't at all. We bought ours as they had $2500 cash back then and gave me really good value on a non- running trade.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you test the '16 Tucson @songbird54? The upper trims really have a load of safety features on them. Also big honking wheels that zap the combined mpg by 2 mpg.
  • Options
    A reporter is looking to talk with a family in either the San Francisco or Los Angeles areas that is currently looking to sell one or more of their cars for maximum value. If you fit the description, please send a message to PR@edmunds.com by no later than Friday, September 18, 2015.
  • Options
    stever said:
    Did you test the '16 Tucson @songbird54? The upper trims really have a load of safety features on them. Also big honking wheels that zap the combined mpg by 2 mpg.
    Not yet. Supposedly my dealer didn't have one. 

I don't want the big wheels. I want better mileage. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Me too, but I want some of the extras. Hard to get those without the big clunkers on the axles sometimes.

Parked next to an Elantra GT at lunch downtown today. Thinking it may be a tad small. The Encore looks SUVish but really is bit smaller (in a good way) than the CX-5/CR-V, Tucson/Escape stuff.
  • Options
    I really like the looks of the encore. But I do like the Tucson also. Cx5 is also nice looking. 
    The forester is the least "sexy" but the most practical. 
    Crv' s are all over NJ. I just can't take it. I like something different. 
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,167
    edited September 2015

I would miss heated seats and push button start but I can remotely start which is a plus 
    I'm looking for awd but I have a feeling this car does well in all kinds of weather even with fwd . I felt pretty planted on the road and I felt higher in this one than any other I tested. 

Check the Chevrolet Trax. It's based on the same platform. The option packages may be different getting you the heated seats and start. But I would expect it not to be as plushly finished nor to be as quiet as the
    Encore's ambiance from Buick. I have not looked at or sat in one at my Chev dealer when I've had my Malibu in for oil change and tire rotation, so I'm just suggesting... You might look at online build your own app on Edmunds or on chevrolet.com to see what's included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Trax

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Check the Chevrolet Trax. It's based on the same platform. The option packages may be different getting you the heated seats and start. But I would expect it not to be as plushly finished nor to be as quiet as the Encore's ambiance from Buick. I have not looked at or sat in one at my Chev dealer when I've had my Malibu in for oil change and tire rotation, so I'm just suggesting... You might look at online build your own app on Edmunds or on chevrolet.com to see what's included.
    I have actually tested the Trax and it would definitely give more options for the money. The Buick looks tip the scale. And that quiet ride. 
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited September 2015
    Also, especially if you're going to buy rather than lease, the Encore has a 4 yr./50k warranty compared to the 3yr./36k warranty of the Trax
  • Options
    Good point about the warranty. For either car you can buy a discounted Gmepp warranty from am authorized dealer on the internet.

• Options
    The Trax is no comparison to the Encore. Way more basic. I'm sure you get heated seats in the Encore if you get leather trim.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Drove in a CX-5 today at work all day and was quite impressed really with the whole package. Sorry now that I didn't test drive one before I bought the '14 Tucson but that was the next dealer I was going to go to but just gave up at the Hyundai store. Even though the Trax is a nice vehicle, definitely would go for the Encore for all the extra's one gets...might cost a skosh more but definitely worth the entry fee. Think Hyundai did a great job on the new '16 Tucson, much nicer looking then the one I had.
    I think when it comes down to it, I'm just a small vehicle person, seems the wife is to, we like smaller vehicles with good mpg's though I miss the higher ride height most of all...sitting a little above traffic makes for a more pleasant driving experience in this man's eyes. But the fun quotient of my smaller vehicle is the thing I preferred most of all along with the better mpg numbers, something a small CUV just doesn't give one. Did I do the right thing trading out so early...for me, YES! A costly mistake and totally illogical but felt like that moment in time was the time to pull the trigger and swap out of the Tucson. And the better half hasn't mentioned it at all since I brought it home like I thought she would...over and over again. But nothing after I explained to her my logic and to be honest, don't think she ever liked it in the first place and was secretly happy that I downsized again!

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Songbird54, have to ask if your handle is related to the old mid 50's TV show Sky King since I believe his airplane was the Songbird.
  • Options
    No it's a fleetwood Mac song :D
  • Options
    berri said:

Songbird54, have to ask if your handle is related to the old mid 50's TV show Sky King since I believe his airplane was the Songbird.

That's a good memory at work! I remember that now you mention it--one of my favorite
    TV shows back in the "good old days."

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    I have a punch to report.

In the quest to replace our Gen 1 RDX ski & bikemobile, I've driven some SUV's (4Runner, GX), CUV's (GLK, Q5, RX, Touareg), a wagon on stilts (XC70), and even considered a truck. Do not want a 3rd row. Quick impressions-
    4Runner - Trucky but honest. Limited trim has some modern things like smart key, dual climate heated/cooled seats and full-time 4wd which is nice for a skier. Stiff ride, noisy, and the hood occasionally flutters. Resale monster. Few discounts to be had. People love buying a Japanese-made Toyota.
    GX - The 4Runner's refined brother. Better ride, interior, NVH, transmission and motor. Cannot buy without 3rd row. Despite the off-road chops, it still looks like something a realtor would drive. Not cheap, but cheaper I guess than a Land Cruiser.
    GLK Bluetec- Really likeable. Back seat is not for adults. Even small ones. Too bad, because it checks many boxes.
    Q5 TDI- See above, but with back seats that slide and accommodate humans. Nice. And torque. Unfortunately, the local dealer is beyond bad. Really.
    RX - That Lexus mouse controller. Ugh. Next...
    Touareg - I really like this one. Great size. Drove the TDI and gasser, both drove great. I'm not sure the TDI is worth the premium. Maybe the price diff is only $3 or 4k on paper, but in the real world, dealers would knock serious money off the gas model, and none off the diesel. In one instance, the difference was approaching $10k. Um, wow. But even so, these are still really expensive compared to what you'd cross shop.
    XC70 - Tasteful inside and out, those seats, good value considering the content. Here in the PNW, almost none of these have the climate package (heated everything) for reasons I don't understand. And I hope you like black, otherwise, expect to probably pick it up in Sweden. Back seat a little tight for adults.
    Truck - Love the idea. But everytime I think about parking it. In a space. Around other stuff. Worse, my wife parking it...nope.

Was mulling over, no hurry. Then I recently read the XC70 T6 was being dropped, smaller engines only for '16. Only a handful left in the region, and only one as I would want it for hundreds of miles. So now I have a twilight bronze (i.e. brown) T6 AWD Platinum in the driveway w/climate, BLIS, etc. 300hp/325 lb-ft. It reads speed limit signs and puts it on the dash. The active cruise drove itself in stop and go traffic on the way home. Fancy stuff for this guy. Below invoice, 0% and a tow hitch thrown in. Feeling good.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    Terrific - congrats!

("still looks like something a realtor would drive." - ouch. :D )
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,466
    What about the V60 Cross Country?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    tifighter -
    Congrats on the punch - enjoy!
    - Ray
    Over 35 years since my last Volvo....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,399
    Congrats!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,666
    Great job, TF. Cool punch!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Post pics!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,972
    nice. congrats.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462
    AWESOME! Congrats on the punch! 300 HP/325 lb ft of torque sounds good to me:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,037
    @tifighter - nice choice. Wife wanted an XC70, but when we optioned it up the way we wanted, it was a bit out of our budget. Got the Outback 3.6R instead.

Enjoy!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Nice ride...congrats.
  • Options

Quick pics.

V60XC - Too small with little cargo space for us. I like the upright proportions of the 70 series, and you can also see out of it, which is a plus.

• Options
    I like the color. With mud streaks along the sides it will look just right!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    @tifighter -- very pretty! Congratulations on the purchase, a beautiful car.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,813
    Agreed with above comments. I love the color, and it's a fine-lookin' wagon! It's hard to find a wagon of any sort anymore.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Like the wheels, like the color!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,466
    tifighter said:

Quick pics.

V60XC - Too small with little cargo space for us. I like the upright proportions of the 70 series, and you can also see out of it, which is a plus.

Looks very nice.. love the color

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462
    @tifighter - you MUST post your VW Toureg pricing experience on the "What would it take YOU to buy a diesel car?" thread. There is a poster there that you will drive categorically insane:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,508
    edited September 2015
    There is a poster there that you will drive categorically insane:) That's not a drive, it's a short putt.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,396
    tifighter said:

Quick pics.

I love it! Very nice. Always had a soft spot for Volvo wagons.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,213
    Nice wagon! Kudos for resisting the CUV fad.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    @tifighter - congrats! Those wagons have aged well. Kind of a throwback for those of us who appreciate a "real" wagon.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    For those following that "other" thread, @xwesx seems to have it well under control. Let's keep sticking to cars please.

(And especially nice wagons. :) )
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,813
    @tifighter - I hate that you bought this car and shared it with us! I have thought more about Flexes today than I have for several weeks now. You, sir, are a cruel enabler! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,037
    stever said:
    For those following that "other" thread, @xwesx seems to have it well under control. Let's keep sticking to cars please. (And especially nice wagons. :) )
    So are you getting the Kia soul or the Buick encore?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,283
    Punch registered... Congrats, tifighter! That's a timeless looking ride. Should look new for years to come!
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think I've seen a Volvo in that color. Is it new this year?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

One last pic post-today's mountain bike ride. Thanks everyone for the kind words. The intent is this will be primarily driven by my wife. She is out of town at a conference until the weekend and has no idea I bought this. Before everyone starts suggesting lawyers, she was aware that things were at Defcon 2 when she left. Anyway, we'll see how long this one lasts, but my goal is four years. Wait, did I just say that?

@Michaell Outback is a nice machine. I found the lower seat cushions a bit short for me, but otherwise, it's a solid choice.

@nyccarguy Ah, the diesel thread. My sales experience would convince no one. Might as well save the caps lock on someone's keyboard from a heavy workout.

@xwesx Glad to help. I like the Flex a lot and it certainly shares a few attributes with the Volvo like great seats, nice equipment, quietness and a good ride. But most importantly, its upright, boxy and comes with a big honkin' 6-Cyl Turbo. Consider yourself enabled.