Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    carnaught said:

Buick Encore.

Say what? I thought "42" was the answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything"

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Congrats! What year? Buy or lease?
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited September 2015
    carnaught said:

Buick Encore.

... a new '15 lease.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Nice. I like those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They were screaming those $199 Encore deals here. And they looked liked screaming deals. Congrats!
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    "Buick Encore". Replacement for ?? Trim level? Give some details!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @carnaught - mazel-tov & congrats on the punch! Encore is a cool little car for sure. 2 punches for you this year! way to go!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Carnaught...big congratz!!!!!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    @graphicguy - I know you're not into leasing, but residuals are high & money is really cheap right now. I just saw on the GS Lease Questions Board a 60% residual after 36 months/12K per year with $2700 lease cash & a money factor that equates to 1.8%. You've obviously got to like the car, not just the deal.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy - I know you're not into leasing, but residuals are high & money is really cheap right now. I just saw on the GS Lease Questions Board a 60% residual after 36 months/12K per year with $2700 lease cash & a money factor that equates to 1.8%. You've obviously got to like the car, not just the deal.

Brad....yeah, not much into leasing. But, this go round, I may do just that for a variety of different reasons.

Looking at a few different options. I've not driven the GS, but have driven the IS, which is a darned nice car.

Also on the list would be a Mercedes C300, BMW 3xxi, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q.

So, a bit different than buying outright. If I were purchasing, I'd just throw a "buy now" offer to the dealer. There's a level of complexity added to the purchase price I have to look at. On a lease, monthly payments now become relevant. Money factors, residual values, fees...all become part of the deal.

Thanks for the input on the GS. I may mosey on over to some of those leasing forums.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337

nyccarguy said:

Brad....yeah, not much into leasing. But, this go round, I may do just that for a variety of different reasons.

Looking at a few different options. I've not driven the GS, but have driven the IS, which is a darned nice car.

Also on the list would be a Mercedes C300, BMW 3xxi, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q.

So, a bit different than buying outright. If I were purchasing, I'd just throw a "buy now" offer to the dealer. There's a level of complexity added to the purchase price I have to look at. On a lease, monthly payments now become relevant. Money factors, residual values, fees...all become part of the deal.

Thanks for the input on the GS. I may mosey on over to some of those leasing forums.
    If you know the numbers, you can still put together a 'take it or leave it' offer with your selling price. Not much more complex than a purchase.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Thanks all for the congrats, actually 3rd punch for the year...details to follow....
  • Options
    Lease is even easier. Boil it down to a sign and drive monthly payment. Up to dealer how they make it happen!

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    stickguy said:

Lease is even easier. Boil it down to a sign and drive monthly payment. Up to dealer how they make it happen!

+1 for this approach, I have used this before. Gathered the data from the leasing boards here and hit the dealer with something on the low end. Basically the old "I'll pay you 30k for the car, don't car if thats 29.9 for the floor mats and 100 for the car, but 30k is my number." approach.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Congrats on the Buick.

Re: leasing, I saw an ad for a crazy deal on Lexus GS, something like $439/month - and no doubt the initial payment can be negotiated quite a bit. I suspect they just aren't selling like the Germans, and inventory needs to be moved.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    fintail said:

Congrats on the Buick.

Re: leasing, I saw an ad for a crazy deal on Lexus GS, something like $439/month - and no doubt the initial payment can be negotiated quite a bit. I suspect they just aren't selling like the Germans, and inventory needs to be moved.

Thats my understanding as well. I think its a pretty decent looking ride, interior is very nice and I like a lot of their color offerings. Haven't driven one, just window shopped at the dealer when closed and real world sightings but from what I read the ride is tuned so much to luxury that there is not a lot of driving pleasure to be had.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Yes, the mid-sized luxury rides are all leasing pretty well - Q50, GS, E-class, 5-series

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Michaell said:

Yes, the mid-sized luxury rides are all leasing pretty well - Q50, GS, E-class, 5-series

Michael...you keep closer in touch with this. How do the, C300, 3 series, IS or TLX leases look, in general?
  • Options

Michaell said:

Michael...you keep closer in touch with this. How do the, C300, 3 series, IS or TLX leases look, in general?
    I'll quote examples of each ... 36 months, 15,000 miles per year:

2016 328xi or 340xi - .00130 and 59%
    2016 C300 4Matic - .00152 and 60%
    2015 IS350 AWD - .00075 and 61%, $500 lease cash
    2015 TLX V6 AWD - .00026 and 52% (Tech) or 50% (Advance)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    60% at 45k? Ambitious.

• Options
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

I'll quote examples of each ... 36 months, 15,000 miles per year:

2016 328xi or 340xi - .00130 and 59%
    2016 C300 4Matic - .00152 and 60%
    2015 IS350 AWD - .00075 and 61%, $500 lease cash
    2015 TLX V6 AWD - .00026 and 52% (Tech) or 50% (Advance)
    Great info. Thanks, Michaell!
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have a friend who live in Santa Cruz. I feel almost an obligation to hate him out of jealousy.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I've always liked the GS but haven't driven one, probably would be a little too soft for my tastes.

I just had the opportunity to drive a friend's TLX for a week while visiting out in Oregon. He has the V6 w/ Advance package, FWD which includes the 4 wheel steering.

Overall a great car, smooth power delivery although the 9 speed transmission is a bit rough when shifting from first to second and second to third.

To me it drove more like the Q50 than the S60 (strictly drive feel, obviously the differences in power/feel from the V6 to the 4 cylinder S60 are a bit more noticeable). It leaned more towards soft than sporty, but wasn't a wallowy ride either.

Gas mileage was impressive, mostly highway driving showed ~33 MPG on the trip computer. The VCM isn't noticeable at all, (where it cuts down to 3 cylinders on the highway when less power is needed).

Overall a great ride, worth checking out and I would buy it over the Q50 simply based on price. While the Q50 Hybrid is nice it's not worth an extra $10K or so over the TLX.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Subsidized.

I am surprised the IS350 MF is so low, rare cars.
    stickguy said:

60% at 45k? Ambitious.

• Options
    I've never driven one, but I've sat in a few. Very nice cars, and I love the striated metal interior trim option. Doesn't seem to have the option potential of the Germans, nor the vault-like feel - the big 3 players in that segment have mastered how to weight doors, switchgear, and manage metal thickness to make a car feel very heavy, in a good way. I didn't get the same feeling from the GS.

That said, with a minimal initial payment and about $450/month, it's a heck of a deal.
    au1994 said:

Thats my understanding as well. I think its a pretty decent looking ride, interior is very nice and I like a lot of their color offerings. Haven't driven one, just window shopped at the dealer when closed and real world sightings but from what I read the ride is tuned so much to luxury that there is not a lot of driving pleasure to be had.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Congrats on the Encore - sounds like an excellent deal!
    Enjoy!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Sorry, I missed part of this (too many discussions to keep track of, somedays). Was the Encore FWD or AWD?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

Sorry, I missed part of this (too many discussions to keep track of, somedays). Was the Encore FWD or AWD?

Fwd.
  • Options
    Tomorrow, I am taking the wheel of a Lamborghini here ...

http://www.thextremexperience.com/blog/driving-tips-ppir/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Excellent!
    Have BIG FUN!
    [ Take pictures ? ]
    - Ray
    Just a bit tiny jealous ....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

Excellent!
    Have BIG FUN!
    [ Take pictures ? ]
    - Ray

Pictures? I'm gonna have in-car video. I've done this twice before - once in a Ferrari F430 Cabrio, last year in an Audi R8. Got video of both.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Michaell said:

rayainsw said:

Excellent!
    Have BIG FUN!
    [ Take pictures ? ]
    - Ray

Pictures? I'm gonna have in-car video. I've done this twice before - once in a Ferrari F430 Cabrio, last year in an Audi R8. Got video of both.
    Gonna post 'em?
  • Options
    slorenzen said:

Michaell said:

rayainsw said:

Excellent!
    Have BIG FUN!
    [ Take pictures ? ]
    - Ray

Gonna post 'em?
    Not sure I can post a video file to this site ... they are on my Facebook page, FWIW

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    berri said:

Homes are money pits. Sellers always seem to forget how much they spent on them; taxes, interest (both paid out and lost investment opportunity), insurance, maintenance, repairs and updates, realtor fees, etc. when they tell you how much they made on it. But there is a satisfaction in controlling your living space and environment.

Indeed. I haven't even finished mine yet (not even close, really), and I know this all too well!

Last night's activity: Cleaning the boiler. I'm pretty sure that poor thing actually sighed when I turned it on afterward! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    xwesx said:

berri said:

Homes are money pits. Sellers always seem to forget how much they spent on them; taxes, interest (both paid out and lost investment opportunity), insurance, maintenance, repairs and updates, realtor fees, etc. when they tell you how much they made on it. But there is a satisfaction in controlling your living space and environment.

Indeed. I haven't even finished mine yet (not even close, really), and I know this all too well!

Last night's activity: Cleaning the boiler. I'm pretty sure that poor thing actually sighed when I turned it on afterward! :D

wood-fired, or oil?
  • Options
    slorenzen said:

wood-fired, or oil?

Oil (#1 diesel). We use about 600 gallons a year.

This is a condensing boiler mated to a hydronic in-floor system that I installed about... oh, I think this will be our fourth winter using it. We went something like nine winters using a Monitor area heater, which was woefully inadequate to heat the space (total sq ft is around 2,400) once we had walls in there. So, between the frigid concrete floors and the air temperature variances (as much as twenty degrees), the first day after activating the in-floor hydronic system was simply heavenly!

I would definitely consider wood were it not for the fact that wood smoke strongly irritates my lungs. Since I don't appreciate other folks smoking me out, I'm certainly not going to do it to them.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Michaell said:

That looks like it would be a fun experience! How much time do you get behind the wheel?
  • Options
    carnaught said:

The Buick Encore was fresh off the truck, Ruby Red/Titanium with the Convenience pkg. plus nav. Along with their smokin' 24 mos. lease deal, including no money down except first month's payment, is XM satellite radio, maintainence, and OnStar for the 24 mo. period, and no disposal fee at lease end. This is an additional car; we wanted a small workhorse. Positive comments fron Suydam, and others, plus my really liking the looks and features of the car also made me interested, so I couldn't resist.

Congrats on the add, Carnaught!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2015
    Just in case anyone is curious as to "who owns what":

• Options
    But, let's give it a shot ....
    xwesx said:

Michaell said:

That looks like it would be a fun experience! How much time do you get behind the wheel?
    Three laps.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    Hm, interesting graphic Shifty. Per Wiki, Toyota owns 16.5% of FHI, which in turns owns Subaru. Probably more of those partial partnerships around.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

Just in case anyone is curious as to "who owns what":

Interesting chart. Thanks for posting!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @Michaell - have a great time! We're all envious, and anxious to hear about it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Arrived in Bermuda today. All kinds of odd tiny cars and vans. All Asian now. Last time I was here, lots of English stuff.

Oddest thing, which for some reason I really want, a Hummer FX.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    stickguy said:

All Asian now. Last time I was here, lots of English stuff.

When was that? How quickly are these things changing?

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
  • Options
    30 years ago! Actually, not sure of the mix then. Back in the mid 70s it was all British.

• Options
    I'm a far cry from a Volvo Fan, but has anybody seen a V60 R Design Wagon? It is gorgeous! I love the thick bolsters on the seats!

• Options
    Hello all! Been busy with home renovation stuff, but wanted to get back to everyone about my supercar experience yesterday.

This is the third year I've attended - year 1 I drove a Ferrari F430 and last year I drove an Audi R8. This year I chose a Lamborghini Gallardo. There were several Lambos at the event yesterday, including an Aventador.

If I ever win the lottery, I won't be buying a Lamborghini as my dream car. Why? I don't fit - at least, not with a race helmet on my noggin. I'm not particularly tall - 5'11", but I had to cant my head about 10 degrees to the right to fit in the car. As you can imagine, trying to drive at speed while looking through the windshield with one's head tilted doesn't make for good driving. Missed apexes galore.

So, not as good a time as in the past. And, my head and neck hurt for most of the day afterwards.

I'll certainly do it again, but I'll have to look at headroom specs before choosing my next car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator