Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    I don't think anyone ever said roll bars were bad. It was just pointed out that they would probably decrease resale value. Personally, if I had a Miata, I would probably put a Hard Dog bar in it.
    juice - I don't think Hard Dogs sells "style Bars" just real roll bars.
    I can just see jwilson cruising around in the dead of winter with one of those ski masks with eye and mouth holes.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Or a hockey mask...

-juice
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    ... but it's gotta be warm! Maybe a fur-lined hockey mask.

Years ago, on a trip to NYC, I was in a taxi on the (then) winding brick streets beneath Roosevelt Dr. It was raining, cold. And I saw a pink (really) MGA headed toward me.

If you're old enough, you might remember how hard it was to put the top up & down on those things. So the MGA passenger was holding an umbrella over himself and the passenger.

That really was LOL!

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Who needs an umbrella? Just drive really fast!

In two weeks of driving I have not once failed to put the top down.

Lows have been in the 30's.

-juice
    What I can't figure out is that I live in California, where it's great convertible weather 90% (98% if you're not a native) of the time and even on a beautiful day, the vast majority of the convertibles I see have their tops up. It's sort of understandable with the Sebring types but I'm always amazed at how many Miatas I see with their tops up on a beautiful day.
    I also don't get it. They got the wrong car. Status symbol, maybe?

People look shocked to see my top down, but even with lows near freezing it sometimes hits 60 degrees in the PM.

Heck, the previous owner of mine (Blanca) also never took the top down. The nice thing is that the original top still looks good!

-juice
  • You refer to the "Sebring" types? Is there a Sebring type & tell me more.
    We own both a '98 Sebring JXi and a '94 Miata. They are both great in their own ways, and are both totally different. And we are extremely happy with both cars. We also drive both cars top-down as much as possible, which is quite alot. The climate where we live (southeast) gives us this opportunity. The Miata usually stays top-down all the time, unless it's raining. The Sebring is such a cinch to put up & down that it just makes sense to use the power top to it's full advantage.
    So, please, you have got to enlighten me on this "type". :-0
    (And if we could live in CA, I think we would love it. You would see at least one more Miata top down, and at least one Sebring topless, also.)
    I just knew I was going to get in trouble for that one. Give me a minute while I pull my foot out of my mouth (it's a size 14 so this may take a while).
    OK, I guess my poorly stated point was that, IN GENERAL, people who buy Sebring convertibles tend to be more oriented toward comfortable cruising than those who buy Miatas. Therefore, I would expect them to be more likely to have the top up due to weather, noise, wind or any of the other things that can bother people in a convertible. It was not intended disparage Sebring owners in any way. It is just what I would expect based on my own biases as to the kind of drivers the two cars generally appeal to.
    I think we all have a little of Jeckyl and Hyde in us.

I usually drive the Miata alone and have lots of fun exploring its limits.

When I drive with a baby in the back seat of my Subaru it's a little different.

-juice
  • Well, I think it's a reasonable statement that a person buying a larger 4-seat convertible is more interested in comfort features. Whether that translates into less down time for the top is a bit of a generality perhaps.
    Actually, it may even be the other way around.

Lots of hot-lapping Miatae are wearing a hard top, no?

-juice
  • persona in us, and that's why we have both the Sebring and the Miata. :-)
    I understand "dgraves1"'s comment, but just didn't want him or others to generalize/compartmentalize all Sebring convertible drivers into stuffy, comfort-seeking individuals that have no fun factor.
    Actually, though, I often try the "Miata" wave with Sebring owners and usually get this "look". And most often their tops are up, poor misguided souls. OTOH, I give Miata owners the wave, and still get that "look". And there are way too many Miata owners around here who have their tops up, also. Bless their poor misguided hearts.
  • "Maybe we have the Jekyll & Hyde persona in us"....
    Don't know where the rest of my subject title went to.
    Save the wave! :)

Funny thing happened today. Well, not so funny I guess.

I was coming into my garage at work, and the wooden gate that went up came down too soon - right on MY HEAD! Ouch!

I bit my tongue, too. No injury, just a bit of a shock. The gate did manage to bend my antennae, which is the power model and is now ruined. It won't come down at all, obviously.

So question, what do I replace it with? Should I get another power antennae, and if so can I just get the mast itself? It is easy to install, and are there instructions anywhere?

What about those rubber ones? Is the reception just as good?

I was a bit peeved, but the security folks were very apologetic and nice, and agreed to fork over $250 no questions asked. I can do this myself and maybe even come out ahead.

Appreciate any help/tips.

-juice
  • I could use some Help!!

I stopped by a dealer and he had what I wanted:

Red 2001 - but it was a Basic with extras, like leather, Bose sound, cassette added, extra breaks, and sticker price was $26,010. The dealer said he would take $1,000 off.

Isn't that high. It is not an LS.

Are there different posted Sticker prices???

Can the dealers post what they want??

Help please. Anew.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    juice, you'll be the guy with the gate coming out of your head -- actually, you're lucky you didn't get hurt, or worse, get the Miata dented! Ohmygawd.

RE: the antenna -- several of the aftermarket suppliers at Miata.net offer antennas, both the rubber ones and the electrics. With all the wiring done, the install should (famous last words) be pretty easy.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Wow, that had to have hurt. Man, the perils one faces (in gargages) if you have the top down, eh? I was glad to read that the garage is willing to throw some money your way. Whew. Sorry 'bout the car, too. Let us know what you end up with.
  • bikybiky Posts: 20
    Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting on Miata. A couple of days back, me and my friend went to a Mazda dealership to buy a Miata. We test drove an automatic first, 'coz my friend was interested in getting one with an auto shift. Somehow, I did not feel that the car runs smooth enough neither does it have good pulling power. I had to redline to get some pickup. And then I drove one with 5-speed. It wasn't much different, except that I could accelerate it to a higher rpm on every gear.

The second concern is that at 60mph, both cars were running at 3000rpm, b'coz of which the car was too noisy and shaky. We could also feel every little bump on the road, felt like the suspension weren't good enough to isolate the jerks from the cabin.

Both cars were 1997 model with less than 30k miles.

We wanted to know if this is the case with every Miata or is it with the two we drove? More specifically, is the Miata so under-powered?

Any comment on this would be appreciated.
  • davidb72davidb72 Posts: 174
    Well, you can come autocross with me one weekend and try to keep up, then we'll see how underpowered it is.
    Seriously though, the Miata is not a Corvette, a Mustang, or a Camaro. The strength of a Miata is perfect handling, not brute force acceleration. A Miata can be made quicker with a Turbo or a Supercharger.
    If you or your friend are looking for a fun to drive, basically maintenance free roadster, then the Miata may be for you, if you are looking for something more powerful, you may want to go look at used Mustang GT's.
    Anew: I dunno, but that sounds high to me.

Joe W: yeah, I saw a new power antennae at Moss Motors for $80 (seems steep), as well as a rubber one for $12 or so. The catch is, I'm planning on a car cover and the rubber one may get in the way.

Can I splice into the existing wiring, or do I have to run it through again?

I'm waiting 'til they pay me off first. $250 was the estimate, I want to get paid before I fix it!

Biky: welcome to true sports-car ownership. Mine '93 is loud, rides stiffly, revs high at highway speeds, and has a cramped interior, but I LOVE it!

You have to rev the engine to make power; this is a sports car after all. When do you, and I mean all the way to redline, you'll be rewarded with better performance.

Honestly, though, from your initial impressions, this may not be the right car for your friend. If a smooth, quiet ride and straight line acceleration are priorities (rather than handling), you may want to consider a Toyota Solara V6 with a supercharger from TRD.

-juice