Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Wagons built in the Puebla, Mexico Facility...
    VWDM produces all of the New Beetles for Worldwide Distribution and Jetta Sedans for No.
    America...This facility has been operational for the past 30 years...

All Passats are built in either in the Mosel or Emden, Germany plants. Jetta/Bora wagons are built in Wolfsburg...
  • Options
    jb18tjb18t Member Posts: 25
    A great experience......I read quite a bit about VW/Porsche/Audi Dealers being rather rude to customers.....I had my 5000 mile service performed at Wyoming Valley Motors this week and it was a great experience! In addition to prompt courteous service they washed the car as part of the $32 fee! Car was done in one hour as promised. All that and I didn't even buy my 2003 Passat GLS Wagon from them!
    The only problem is I walked the lot and saw a few gems I would like to buy....a 99 Passat GLX Variant...a 99 Audi A4 Avant....a 2002 Golf 1.8t 4 door...ect.ect.
  • Options
    rklepperkleppe Member Posts: 2
    Hi, am new to the discussion and am getting a wagon with grey leather and was thinking of Fresco but was worried about the combo. Has anyone seen this?
  • Options
    and Grey Leather is one of the most popular
    combinations...
  • Options
    okioki Member Posts: 6
    My wife chose the above color combo. The two colors match well, but dirt and scuff marks are easily seen on the beige leather. If it were up to me I would have picked the grey interior because it's easier to maintain. As for the fresco green, a number of people have come up to my wife in parking lots, gas stations, etc. and commented on how nice the color is.
  • Options
    wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    I bought a Fresco Green GLS w/black leather about a month ago. My wife and I love the color combination and receive lots of compliments on it. My dealer had to search out of state to find one in that color with a manual transmission. This is the first wagon that I have owned. I would definitely recommend it.
  • Options
    david4862david4862 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Fellow wagon enthusiasts,
    I just purchased a 2003 Passat Glx for 29,132.
    Did I get a good deal.

David
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Volkswagen Family!!!

If you signed the contract then you are comfortable...And that is ALL THAT MATTERS...Enjoy your new car, and if you want I have a special cheat sheet for Programming the
    Memory Seating...Send me your Fax # and I will send it over to you...Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    whskvs2whskvs2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Passat Wagon with 38,000 miles on it. Recently, I noticed a grinding sound when I put the brakes on and have been told I need to completely replace both my front and rear brakes. I've owned two Acuras and never had this problem. Does this seem right?
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    whskvs2,

I suspect that this diagnosis came from a VW dealer's service dept. If so, take your car to a good independent repair shop, preferably one that specializes in VWs for a second opinion. Many VW dealers are infamous about hyping up problems with customers' cars just to generate revenue. Such practices only perpetuate concerns in many people's minds about the reliability of VWs.

I have a '99 GLS (sedan) with nearly 70,000 miles which have the original rotors and pads. Every time I bring it in for an oil change I have them check the brakes. I do sense that the brakes will need some work soon (they perform fine but not quite like they use to). But considering my previous '94 Integra needed new pads all around with less miles, I don't think that is too bad.
  • Options
    differently; this is why Brakes, Clutches, etc. are called Wear & Tear and typically not covered
    by Bumper to Bumper Warranties after 12Months/12000Miles...
  • Options
    harmonoffharmonoff Member Posts: 6
    and (real) wood inlay I've seen in a $32000 2003 Passat GLX 4Motion Sedan of the same quality and origin as that offered with the "premium" package on a $26000 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T Wagon?

I have been able to look at a few GLX sedans locally but there are no gls premium jetta wagons where I live. A local dealer told me that the leather on the GLX was "More like Mercedes leather" than of that on the jetta gls premium. Is there really a range of materials within VW's leather Line? i.e leatherette perforated leather pleather and then leather (how's the weather)?

Anybody owned both or become familiar with a leather passat and a leather jetta?

On another front I know the passat is only a couple hundred pounds heavier than the jetta - and the interior and exterior dimension specs/cargo space(5 cubic feet) appear negligible on paper. Seeing the two sitting next to each other I found the styling differences to be more readily apparent than the size difference.

In a universe where there will never be backseat passengers and rarely a front seat one (mine): Which car handles better? For the purposes of this question I'll define "better" as "more like a curve handling aggressive sports car capable of illegal speeds and corners" where both cars have the same tires wheels engine etc.

Also, while I'm at it, is there any way to get power seats in a passat without getting a V6 powerplant?
  • Options
    david4862david4862 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Gang,
    I am about to pick up my new VW Passat Glx wagon.
    It's being driven to the dealership on the busiest travel day of the year. I am worried about the person driving it not acting prudently
    vis-a-vis the critical break in period. Should
    I nixed the deal. Is my concern valid? Heavy traffic and heavy breaking has me concerned

David
  • Options
    cmanncmann Member Posts: 17
    So, I ordered my GLX 4mo Wagon ... now I wait. Just curious, anyone know what the amount of time for build vs ship is? I know that overall it seems to be running about 90 days. How much of that is actually spent in the factory and how much in transit?
  • Options
    It is always in the best interest of any Dealership to employ mature, responsible people
    to do Dealer Trades...Don't worry about it...

Enjoy your new Passat & Welcome to the Volkswagen Family!!!
  • Options
    maiavisionmaiavision Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking around on this board for several months now, as I obsess over a Passat purchase. I'm ready to buy the Passat Wagon Automatic with ESP and Cold Weather Package, but I can't decide between the 1.8T GLS and the V6 GLS.
    Can someone explain the main differences I'll feel between the two? I test drove both, and the 4cyl hesitation was just a tad annoying. Is that standard? And will I feel that with the V6?
    Thanks for any info!
    M
  • Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    did you feel any hesitation with the V6? Trust your own instincts.

My V6 does not hesitate at all, even with a full load. I travel a good bit, with a load much of the time (driver+3 and luggage), and am glad I picked the V6. For commuter use I would have chosen the 1.8t. I would suggest you look at the fuel consumption estimates, and decide based on whether or not you need the extra hp.

Both are super machines. Good luck with whichever you buy.
  • Options
    The way I describe the difference is as follows:

The 1.8L Turbo has a lighter, more agile feel to it; while the V6 has a heavier, more sedate feel.

There is also a $2500.00 difference in cost...
  • Options
    I would have taken my car somewhere else, but the service person said I shouldn't drive it another inch otherwise I'd be taking my life into my own hands. I had my 3 year-old with me at the time...so of course I acquiesced. They suggested I rent a car. Magically, there was an Enterprise rent-a-car person there already picking someone up to take them to rent a car as well. Later the next day, when I went to pick mine up ($900 later) there was a young girl fretting about not being able to leave her car overnight because she couldn't afford the price of a rental car and kept asking the service person if she would die if she chose to take the car. Hmmmm....
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    whskvs2 -

What did you get done for $900 - surely not just your brakes?

Does "Hmmmm..." mean you should have heeded the advice and avoided this particular service place?

What is your conclusion, if any? Do you still like your car?

- D
  • Options
    Yes, allhorizon, just the brakes were done for $900. I thought it was high, but what could I do. Hmmmm means I felt like I would be in danger if I left in my car and apparently so did the young girl I saw distressing the night I picked it up. When I called the rental car place they said they receive quite a bit of business from the VW dealership where I got the brakes done. So I wonder, is that a coincidence? I hope that's not how they're getting their service business by scaring people.

No I don't like my car and I will not get another VW. I have a bad image of the company now and will go back to Acura when my lease is up in May. Ironically, before this happened, I loved the car and personally sold at least three to people asking about it. Shows you what bad customer service can do to a brand.
  • Options
    because a dealership scammed you? It's hard to believe that you needed all 4 rotors @38,000 miles, and even if you did it's hard to believe a $900 bill for the work. Get a quote from an independent shop for the same work and set your mind at ease about the car. The problem here is the dealership. Such tactics should be reported to VWOA and maybe the State Attorney General.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Contact the better business bureau, and the attorney generals office. That dealer flat out lied. If the hydraulic system is fine (and it was since they did not work on it) there is no way that the brakes can stop you fine when you drive in and be unsafe if you are to drive out. They lied to you about the severety of the problem and then cheated you on the price. Tell everyone you know how bad the dealer is, but don't take it out on VW. FWIW my father has 70k on his brakes (Passat Wagon) with original pads.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Last time I needed rotors was about 5 years ago, for a '79 Newport and they were about $90 apiece. Aren't rotors actually cheaper on more modern cars, though?

I could see needing new front rotors if you rode your brakes all the way down to nothing, and 38K seems like a reasonable number for that. Still, it's incredibly unlikely that you're going to need rear brakes at the same time!

Just taking a wild guess, I'd say at the worst you would've needed 2 front rotors and front pads. Any breakdown on the repair bill?
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I gotta agree with alfox. I think the service department at your dealer is working the "fear factor" pretty strongly.

alfox had a good suggestion...you bill shows what they replaced...I'd call an independent garage and perhaps even another local VW dealer for exact "apple to apple" quotes. This might bring you back around to enjoying and liking your car.

On the other hand, checking around might bring up the same numbers, in which case your dealer may not have scammed you, but it still sounds like scare tactics to me.

To andre1969...I've read somewhere that the Passat does have a tendency to run through the rear brakes as quick or quicker than the front. I don't recall where I read this (probably Clubb5.com) or the reason why.
  • Options
    This kind of foolishness won't help it much. That's the kind of treatment I would expect from a chain muffler house or something, not a VW dealer.
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    andre - rotors for some cars are as cheap as $30. All depends on size, design and quantity.

whskvs2 - Don't turn on the car or VW. This is purely a problem with that service department at that dealer. Unfortunately, it is not unique to any particular car company. There are unscrupulous shops in every town and for every make of car. You'll feel better about the car and the situation if you take some action. Hiway's suggestions are good approaches.
  • Options
    weeb35weeb35 Member Posts: 10
    I have a couple of Jetta friends at work who also paid the $900 for back and front brake jobs.. different massachusetts dealers..FYI look up previous discussions, may have some helpfull tips if I remember right..
  • Options
    hiway's suggestions?....

;^)
  • Options
    Woops! Forgot where I was. :)
  • Options
    tamkinstamkins Member Posts: 8
    Yesterday, I bought the GLS wagon with the 1.8L Turbo whatever whatever engine. I really like how the car drives. However, just as a purely academic matter, could someone explain (or give a link to an explanation) exactly what "turbo" means?

What about "tiptronic"? What is that about?
  • Options
    Experts abound in here, but in a purely academic sense heregos:

A turbocharged engine is one where exhaust gasses are used to power a turbine that compresses the fuel/air mixture. When compressed, more fuel/air can be forced into the cylinders on each stroke. More fuel = more power. The turbocharger enables that little 4 cylinder engine to produce, what is it, 160hp, right?

Tiptronic is a trademark for the 4 speed automatic transmission in your car, which was developed by Porsche. The "tip" feature allows you to chose between the normal fully automatic mode or, when the shif lever is pushed to the right into the smaller sequential shifter gate, to shift the gears yourself. When in the sequential shift gate pushing the lever forward shifts to the next higher gear, and pulling it backwards shifts to the next lower gear. In sequential mode the transmission will hold the selected gear until RPM's hit the redline (when it will automatically shift up one) or until the car stops (when it will automatically shift into first gear.)
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, I did buy it already. I like the car - hell, I love the car. I'm just curious what these terms actually mean. Is that crazy?
  • Options
    See answer above - I hit enter too soon, LOL!
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Very informative!
  • Options
    bavarianbavarian Member Posts: 63
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi.
    I have been driving a new Passat GLX 4 motion wagon for two weeks in Chicago and I used this board during the "just looking stage" to help make a decison to buy a Passat. So thanks to everyone who chipped in their two cents unknowingly.

The car is Fresco Green with Grey Leather and they were thin on the ground but the dealer, Fletcher Jones in Chicago, did a trade with a Wisconsin dealer who had one coming off a ship in Houston. The three week wait was worth it for the desired color combo.

My own Internet search within a 1000 mile radius turned up no such car...very few GLX wagons with 4 motion out there in any color.

The Passat is the Winter car (just in time!) which means the 3 series gets to sleep in the garage.

Just thought I'd say "howdy"

Bavarian, driving happily in the snow
  • Options
    hlaskowhlaskow Member Posts: 3
    I know it is an option for a 2003 Passat GLS Wagon but some dealer tells me there are none made this way. Is this a story to get me to buy the one he has?
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Hmm around here (Seattle, WA area), it's difficult to get a Passat withOUT ESP. The dealer is getting most of them with ESP.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    The 1.8l turbo comes in various versions, from 150hp to 225(Audi TT). The Passat currently has the 170hp version. Evolution of these engines and placement into the various cars is interesting to watch, as the Jetta currently has both the stronger 1.8l turbo and a more powerful V(R)6 than the Passat.

The tiptronic actually has 5 gears, not 4.

Now that other manufacturers are starting to imitate this feature, VW/AUDI has developed two better automatic transmissions that are starting to become available. The tiptronic is still a "slushbox" with a torque converter, that suffers from relatively poor mileage, weight, and slow shifts as all conventional automatics. The newer automatics offer a much better compromise between being convenient, driveable, and economical. They are the CVT as in the FWD A4, and a new double-clutch auto/manual as in the R32 Golf.

- D
  • Options
    didn't I? Of course it's a 5-speed! Sorry - I've only been driving one for 3 years. Don't know why my fingers did that....

;^)
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Please keep us posted. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• Options
    smprodsmprod Member Posts: 2
    New to discussion and sure this is an over-stated question..... we love our new 2003 Passat wagon (base model). What are the group's thoughts on VW extended warranty or similar warranties from AAA or other companies? We live in NJ and drive about 12,000 miles/year. Thanks in advance for your input.

smprod
  • Options
    In addition to smprod's questions, can you buy/negotiate the VW masterguard extended warranty from another VW dealer (besides the one that actually sold you the car)?
  • Options
    available only from participating Authorized Volkswagen Dealers. But you can certainly purchase one from a Dealer other than the one that sold you the car...I don't know why you would not want to use that Dealer, but you don't have to...
  • Options
    smprodsmprod Member Posts: 2
    Follow-up: So are the prices for extended warranties negotiable? Do I even need more than 4 years for a car of this quality? Is it a good value (Looking at extending to 75000 miles bumper-to-bumper for approx. $1200)?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Well, I may buy it from the dealer that sold the car, if you answer smprod's question on negotiated pricing.

I think I got a good deal on my car, but I think there's some desire to make it up on the extended warranty. $100 deduct platinum was like $1,700? What does your dealership charge for this product?
  • Options
    fam4mefam4me Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 2002 W8 wagon w/ manual trans. The list (off internet) is $33,490 + TTL. Seems like a good deal before any negotiation. My question is with the interest in the W8 manual, why would a 2002 still be on the lot in Dec. For those of you who have followed the W8 launch last year, hopefully you can help speculate which might help me when I meet with the dealer. I have not actually seen the car except online (silver/black leather) and want to be better informed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What can I expect as far as standard equipment that would differentiate the 2002 W8 from a 2002/2003 GLX wagon? I know about the xenon, vented rear brakes, dual exhaust, what else?

Another question is with the manual trans:
    I know that an option in 2003 is the 6-speed, did the 2002 have only a 5-speed.

Also, with AWD:
    This is only available with the triptronic automatic, right.

Also, the sport suspension:
    Probably not on the 2002 I am looking at based on the price, right.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
  • Options
    glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    I'm not sure where you saw this but my understanding was that those of us on this sd eof the Atlantic can only get the W8 Wagon in the tiptronic. See link to VW's site:

http://www.vw.com/pwagon/features.htm

$33500 for a W8 seems too good to be true -- perhaps a demo / one the dealership's boss drove around for several thousand miles???

George

• Options
    csokicsoki Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into a possible purchase of this wagon, and would appreciate any insight. Reliability issues, concerns, horror stories/success stories. The car is certified, has 55,000 and the party is asking 12,500. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.