Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• ajb4ajb4 Posts: 11
    My friend just bought an elantra, I've driven in it twice and think it's a great car. The other day, I read a post about the funny "new" car smell they have that can be quite offensive, her car didn't have this, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with the smell, does it go away pretty fast? does it really even exist?
  • No funky smell here.
  • liljonsonliljonson Posts: 109
    Same with me, i had no car smell either. i think its just the ignorant people just saying that because of "hyndai" on the car. I think they are making it up since i went to a dealership and actually sat in like 15 of the elantras (don't ask why, i was bored) and their other cars don't have "THE SMELL" either. THey need to re-do the review.
    U know their is a civic model out there that has 105 hp and sells for 13-14K without any options ofcoarse. its a 4 door. isnt that like a slower accent. accents are pretty zippy cars in stick, i've been in one, surprised me alot. Why do people buy overpriced cars like that? honda is getting away with murder. u can get an accord without power windows for 14K or 15K lol now thats funny.
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    Are you saying a Civic is overpriced and yet an Accord is not? The MSRP on a Civic DX 5-sp including freight is $13,400 (invoice $12,163). Accord DX is $15,840 (invoice $14,155). Difference is more like $2.5K MSRP and $2K invoice. BTW, the Civic DX has 115 hp, nothing to brag about but let's get the facts straight.

I'm not arguing for the Civic or Elantra.
  • .......is the undercoating that burns off after a few 1000 miles, it's unusual, but you have to be sensitive for it to bother you....
    i was talking about the 2000 civic lx sedan special. it has 106hp woops one hp off. and i was saying accords are overpriced too. so i have my facts straight, i just wasn't clear about it.
  • soberssobers Posts: 496
    328000 Civic Owners & 408000 Accord owners are fools to buy overpriced Accords/Civics ??
    Just curious ?? :))

Accord EX V6 is regarded as the best value for the money in the midsize segment.

Intellichoice has termed Civic/Accord as THE BEST Picks for ownership over 5 years taking into account depreciation. Maintennace insurance etc
    i haven't heard one good comment from honda owners other than that you get a great market value. how many hondas do you see for sale compared to how many hyundai's?
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    My wife and I love our Civic. From the ultra smooth engine to the succulent 5 speed, this car makes cummuting fun. Were not worried about the resale b/c its not time for that yet. We'l burn that bridge when we get to it. Our only regret was not waiting another year and getting the Si instead of the EX (more mine than hers). The fit and finish are typical Honda quality and the reliability has been up to snuff too. There might be acres of plastic but so what its not like this is a lexus. So there is at least one good commentary about the Civic. As to the amount of used hondas to used hyundais, it is all about proportion. I'll make it very simple for you. Honda sells more cars so there are more of them out there on the used market. Hyundai sells less cars so there are fewer of them on the used market. If you understand you get a gold star!
  • elantra00elantra00 Posts: 225
    Give it another year or two....hyundai sales will catch up to honda sales. one more year and it will be considered a "reliable car" (although it already is) just needs to prove it over past years of unreliablity with the excel...WHICH IS LONG GONE LET ME REMIND YOU. Conumer reports says that it will be recommended next year as a car to buy for reliability. If you are happy with your civic, GREAT. But ease up on the sarcasam
    "Conumer reports says that it will be recommended next year as a car to buy for reliability."
    Did they ever say that? Which issue?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Perhaps what elantra00 was referring to was this quote from the Consumer Reports April 2001 Annual Auto Issue, p. 15, which states:

"The manufacturer with the most-improved vehicles is Hyundai. Its small Elantra sedan holds its own with the best in its class, including such stalwarts as the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla (see our test in the February 2001 issue). And the Hyundai Santa Fe SUV also did well in our road tests (see our test in the March 2001 issue). If these Hyundais show good reliability in our next annual survey, we will be able to recommend them." [italics mine]

In typical CR fashion, they are waiting to put their "Recommended" checkmark on the Elantra (and Santa Fe) until their reliability is proven. The same issue reported that the '00 Elantra has above-average reliability so far, while the '99 got a below-average ranking (a black mark on the transmission the main culprit). So in another 11 months we'll see if Elantra gets added to CR's Recommended list. If that happens... watch those Hyundai sales figures soar even more.
    Yes. There's a big difference between if and will. I hope the Elantra turns out to be a reliable vehicle.
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    plus NJ sales tax and tags. The list price was $16,250. You can get Honda dealers to come way down from list price. In fact, this dealer had 20 or so LXs for this price.
    That's $1,239 under invoice. What's the catch?
  • soberssobers Posts: 496
    THERE IS NO-WAY ANY DEALER WOULD SELL Civic or Accord for 1000 below Invoice. If this is a case Honda would put some financing & they will sell like 30K per month. Without any financing they are selling 27-28K per month. So forget about getting it for 200 below invoice, 1000 is way off.
    Our dealer is not ready for less than 200 over invoice
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    I've seen the Accord DX VP advertised for 14,700 plus freight. Is that under invoice? This one did not have the side air bag option. If you can muscle up enough strength to crank the windows and reach over to pull up the door button, it sounds like a heck of a lot of car for the money.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Much has been said here and elsewhere about Civic's higher fuel economy vs. Elantra. So I began to wonder--what if Honda bumped up the power on the Civic to match the Elantra? Would they be able to maintain their mpg advantage? Hard to say, since no current Civic model has more than 127 hp. But the '00 Civic Si has 160 hp, with EPA ratings of 25/31. The '01 Elantra, about the same weight, gets 25/33. Let's look further: the '01 Accord DX, at 150 hp, has EPA ratings of 25/32. Same for the 135 hp Accord DX. So it looks like at a certain power level, even Honda has trouble maintaining super-high mpg ratings. In fact, if we look at sample mpg ratings for cars with 130-150 hp there is a definite pattern:

Celica GT, 140 hp, 28/33
    Neon, 132 hp, 27/33
    Elantra, 140 hp, 25/33
    Focus ZTS, 130 hp, 25/33
    Protege 2.0, 130 hp, 25/31
    Golf 1.8T, 150 hp, 25/31
    Sentra SE, 145 hp, 24/31

From this sample, it appears that there may be some threshold for 4-cyl. cars, around 130 hp, over which it is very difficult to get fuel economy higher than the low 30s. (Any engineers out there who can verify that?) That could explain why Honda limited the '01 Civic EX to 127 hp--their primary goal was fuel economy and low emissions vs. power. And now that gas is back over $2.00 US a gallon in some spots, who's to question that strategy?
    Good theory but consider these examples, all with a 5-sp manual:

Golf GL 2.0/115 hp/2767 lbs. 24/31
    Golf GTI 1.8T/150 hp (170 hp soon?)/2860 lbs. 24/31
    Passat GLS 1.8T/150 hp/3043 lbs. 24/31