Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• I've had my 2000 SEL for two months, 1200 miles, and the airbag/PSS light is always blinking or steady on. Then today I get a letter from Ford stating that the powertrain control module needs recalibrated and it should take less than half a day. The vehicle also pulls to the left since new, and I'm getting wind noise from the rear passenger side door. Seems like a lot of little bugs for a new car.

This leads me to my question. I go to the dealer tomorrow and he has already estimated at least 24 hrs for the repair. I don't have the extended warranty, but if I did, that would include a loaner car. I think this is B.S. I wouldn't need to take the car in at all if it were right to start with. I'm there for warranty work, and I need a loaner car, I can't believe they are even hesitant. I've been told by the service writer he 'may be able to help with a loaner if it's a major deal'. What do you think?
  • I've had my 2000 SEL for two months, 1200 miles, and the airbag/PSS light is always blinking or steady on. Then today I get a letter from Ford stating that the powertrain control module needs recalibrated and it should take less than half a day. The vehicle also pulls to the left since new, and I'm getting wind noise from the rear passenger side door. Seems like a lot of little bugs for a new car.

This leads me to my question. I go to the dealer tomorrow and he has already estimated at least 24 hrs for the repair. I don't have the extended warranty, but if I did, that would include a loaner car. I think this is B.S. I wouldn't need to take the car in at all if it were right to start with. I'm there for warranty work, and I need a loaner car, I can't believe they are even hesitant. I've been told by the service writer he 'may be able to help with a loaner if it's a major deal'. What do you think?
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    Well, I drove the other two Sables he had and one Taurus. The Taurus had the same problem (at 225K) and was much filthier, but had new tires and an engine rebuilt at 190K. The two other Sables had miscellaneous problems, but none serious, little things like a whining power steering pump, broken seats, missing knobs, and the one speedometer didn't work (but the odometer registered miles???). P.S. all these are 3.0 pushrod engines, no flex fuel, no 24V, no 3.8's. The taxi mechanic says they do well except for transmissions, which he also says about the Chryslers. They run Concordes, Intrepids, and minivans.

The Aspire I bought will continue to do until the insurance guy tells me he can't insure it. Seems the company I am with will not insure any car that ever had a salvage title. This Aspire was a flood car (looks/drives/smells fine to me) so it may be uninsurable and I may have to sell it back to the dealer. I'm sure I'll get my money back (hiccup).

If none of these are available when I go back, I may simply buy one of the 96-97 Astro vans for sale for $2500 each. Those have 220-280K on them, too, but have rear drive and more reliable powertrains.
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    I have seen 2000 Tauruses for sale NEW around $14,500 if you can deal with a basic LX or SE, no gadgets. A used white 2000 SE sedan with 21K at Budget's used car lot is $15,995, but should be cheaper. I don't understand why they think they can sell a used car for as much as a new one. I also saw one on Excite Classifieds for $13,800 in Arizona, but I don't remember the miles or anything.

I would think a 2000 model with under 30K should be $13K. That sounds like a good price. I won't be able to afford them for years now, but I do like the new model. When 2000 Tauruses are five years old they'll be for sale as taxis because the D/FW Airport doesn't allow cars older than 5 years or over 400K. That's why you see so many small cars (Kias, Elantras, Focuses)...because cabbies can't afford new $22K Crown Vics or $18K Tauruses (or Impalas, which I rode in in Chicago and make nice cabs).
  • Received the same recall as seldriver. This recall
    is Program # 00B55 and is to reprogram the PCM.
    In effect Ford didn't get it right on the previous reprogram, 00B38, and is attempting to correct it's mistake. The previous reprograming decreased MPG and acceleration. With the recall notice they also sent me a complementary Mag Lite for my inconvenience.
    In regards to seldriver's rear door wind noise, I had a similar problem with both rear door windows.
    After FORD replaced the window channel / gasket which go around the top and the sides of the windows, the noise decreased dramatically.
  • Seldriver: I have had my Taurus in for a couple minor warrenty items (door trim, resurfaced rotors, lumbar support) and I have found if you make enough stink.... you'll get a loaner. From what I have herd, Ford is not required to provide loaner cars, but they do recommend dealers to provide them. I could have herd a lie, but I have had a loaner car 3 out of six times I have visited the dealer. Just a word or two, hope it helps.
    Prestone: Thanks for the reply, were you able to get a hold of a dealer to answer your question about running 85 octane?
  • I had the original PCM recall (campaign #00B38) done, and after reading tcengia's posting (#524)I called my local FORD delear, because I did not recieve a notice on the latest PCM recall (campaign #00B55). I was told that I won't get a recall notice because it is not a "safety recall". I want to have the recall done, but I should probably wait until I see if anyone has had a problem with the new recall?
  • Seldriver:
    My 2000 SES pulled to the right for several months. No matter what the alignment tech did, the pull didn't go away. I checked tire pressure and they were exactly the same. Just for the heck of it, I swapped the front wheels from side to side. The car has tracked straight as an arrow ever since. Go figure.
  • That usually means you have a bad belt in one of your front tires. Have them check soon as possible.
  • Question: Could someone explain what the PCM recall is and which trim levels/engines it applies to? Thanks
  • oxmeadoxmead Posts: 65
    We just got the oob55 notice. After having the other one done (oob38), I noticed a flat spot durring acceleration from about 30mph. It seemed that the car couldn't make up it's mind to shift or not. If you gave it too much gas , it took off like a rocket. I hope this latest version helps mileage also. To #529, I think it's the models with the duratec engines. Ours is a 2000 Sable LS premium wagon.
  • That might explain it; I have the Vulcan engine and I haven't received any recall notices.
  • I have a Sable SW LS Premium which I purchased
    some 5 months ago, and did not receive recall
    notices.

The car handles and shifts adequately. No problems
    so far. This is, however, a Ford, so knock on wood.
  • reesejreesej Posts: 23
    Just had my car in for service after just reading about the recall. The service printout stated that my car should get it done, so had it done. The recall and the MagLight were waiting in the mail for me when I got home afterwards.

The first recall dropped the acceleration performance and made it harder to start (hard cranking - sometimes multiple tries). After the second recall is now MUCH easier to start and has much better acceleration characteristics.

I was getting 22 mpg average after the first recall - not like some who were getting 15-17 mpg. Too soon to tell how much of an improvement I will see, but looks like I will se a little bit anyway by how the mileage is going up and the fuel gauge isn't dropping so fast.

If you get the recall, don't hesitate to get it scheduled and get it done!
  • I experienced a problem with my 2K Taurus on Saturday... my brake lights would not turn off. I pulled the fuse until it came time to take it in today. It turned out to be a sticking "brake light switch", they replaced it. I also had the dealer perform the "new" PCM Recall.

I just picked up my car and noticed an immediate difference in acceleration! MUCH BETTER. When I got home from the dealer, I had a "Ford Motor Company" Maglite flashlight waiting for me too!
  • ocdocd Posts: 7
    Well after two months of shopping I finally obtained the deal I found accetable. I traded in my 1999 Explorer for a 2001 SEL. My wife and I love the car. We have been tossing around a 2000 or a 2001 and opted for the 2001 and I was surprised that I was able to get almost the same deal on a 2001 than on a 2000. (different dealers of course!). Anyone else recently purchased a 2001 SEL? What have you intial experiences been?
    I look forward to any responses.
  • reesejreesej Posts: 23
    What a coincidence newtaurusowner, I just had my brake pedal position switch replaced a few weeks ago for the same reason! Something else for the Y2k+ Taurus owners to be aware of for possible future repair.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I have the same parking brake light problem with my 88 Taurus, for the last two years. Never thought, though, that this happens often with new cars.
  • I've been reading many posts regarding the backfire "bug" and how to have it fixed. I found out a little too late and witnessed the results. Here is a link to a jpg photo which shows the aftermath. This was a nasty jolt to hear on a quiet Sunday morning!

http://www.geocities.com/bigbang9999/backfire.jpg
  • sable93sable93 Posts: 107
    Do yourself a favor, and pay for the extended warranty. I just found out what is wrong with my car's transmission. It is either the bore (or something like that) in the transmission valve was not machined correctly, or second gear is worn out. To get this fixed, I have to have 3/4 of the transmission torn down. I'm not too happy... :o(
    BTW, mine is a '97 GL.
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    Hey everyone :
    Happy to report the the new Sable LS Premium is performing flawlessly. What a difference in the ride between this car and my 99 Taurus SE. On the other side of the coin, my best mileage with the Taurus in mostly highway is about 22 mpg. This figure drops drastically if I get on it a little. Also had to have a second fan blower motor replaced. The same audible chirp noise cropped up again. There is still vibration from the front end at 80 mph even though the tires have just been rotated and balanced.
  • I have a 2000 Taurus SES with the 3 liter four-valve per cylinder engine. I've noticed a smell coming from the ventilation system and it sure smells like gasoline. Not overpowering, but definitely there. Wondering if anyone else has a similar problem. I don't smell it on the first start of the day or after the car's been sitting for a long while, but if I drive somewhere and leave the car for 15 - 20 minutes and then get in start it, there's a definite odor. Which goes away after I drive a few blocks.

I can't be certain but I may have first noticed it after the recall last spring having to do with reprogramming the PCM for the first time. I was hoping the latest recall to once again reprogram the PCM for better drivability (the one where we got the mag lite as a gift) might solve the problem. Didn't.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
  • Thanks guys for the responses on the loaner car issue and PCM recal #0055B.

My dealer had my new SEL for 8 days after initially saying a day or two. Had to order airbag sensor parts (airbag light always on) that delayed it two extra days, and corrected the wind leak from rear passenger side door. Here's what made me angry... I tell the service advisor the car pulls left. They adjust the toe, switch tires around. I pick up the car after going 30 miles out of my way (and waiting 8 days) and the car now pulls right!!!

I bought at a dealer farther from my house because of price, but can I go to any dealer with warranty concerns like this alignment problem?
    Should I stick with the same dealer and give 'em hell?

At least I did get a loaner, an underpowered Contour.

Does seem like the PCM Recalibration may have given a crisper acceleration too. Hope mpg gets better, the car seems a bit thirstier than I thought a V6 Taurus would be.
  • Any dealer can (ie: has to) do your warranty service, but it doesn't mean they will want to help you.
  • I had noticed the odor garydag mentioned when we had our 2000 SES the first 5 months. It appeared to be more noticeable on hot days or after long drives. I haven't noticed it recently so I believe that it should go away in time. The dealership could smell it, but couldn't locate the source.

The new PCM code has made a definite improvement on the performance and pick up. I am currently doing a MPG test over a couple of fill ups and will let you all know of the results in a week or two.
  • I recently purchased a 1999 Taurus Wagon SE. It has regular wheel covers. I would like to purchase 2000 (or prior to 1999) Taurus spoke wheels. Does anyone know what year wheels will fit the 1999 Taurus wagon?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    tirerack.com

wheelmart.com
  • Hello,

I found a dealer in a small town near here that will order any new Taurus from the factory for $49 UNDER invoice, plus I would get any rebates in cash (Currently $1,000). Would not bother me to wait for the order, as the 92 Taurus I currently have is running great. It seems I could get a new loaded SES for about $2,770 under list price, plus the $400 college grad rebate.

Question is, I would assume the 3.0 24V engine would get the same mileage as my 3.8 in the 92, or around 23-24 combined. I am also assuming this recalibration issue mentioned above is a running change on new production vehicles? Also, how is the power in the Duratec engine, and how much better is the five passenger seating over the standard bench seat?

If mileage or performance is so poor with the Duratec, maybe I'll go for a Crown Victoria instead. Those cars run forever.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I really like my 92, hoping the new ones are even better.
    Well everybody, I decided to get my '97 Taurus fixed instead of getting rid of it. It will cost $2311.00 to get a remanufactured transmission put back in, but I feel that if I trade the car in to a dealership, I won't get any money for it. Hopefully this is the last problem I have with this car. I really like the car in every other way, but I'm still not too happy about this. Here is to hopefully years of trouble free driving. :o)