Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Resale Value ...

Not a Ford thing!

Biodegradable ...
  • Options
    welsh2welsh2 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a 93 Taurus on Monday. I have been reading about some problems with this car. Has it been recalled? It only has 60,000 miles and seems to be in very good shape. The dealer is offering an extended warranty for 12 months for $650.00 or 24 months for around $1,000. Should I take the extended warranty? The price of the car is $5,000.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    It's not the price. I'd like a four door sedan with Contour like handling and a 5 speed.

Of course I seem to be the exception with SUV mania having taken over in Dearborn.

TB
  • Options
    v8shov8v8shov8 Member Posts: 4
    Does it have the 3.8L V6?? If so I wouldnt buy it. Because the head gasket is known to blow at about 90,000 miles. But if it has the 3.0L V6 it should be a safe investment, but remember you arent buying a new car, so a warranty might not be a bad idea. just my 2¢
  • Options
    trickybtrickyb Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the timing belt on the 1996-2000 Duratec engine needs to be replaced?

Thanks
  • Options
    weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    trickyb,
    The Duratec uses a chain, no need for replacement.
  • Options
    occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    you can do much better than that. Look out on eBay at the prices cars are selling for. A 1993 Taurus with what 60K? Ought to be about $3000-$3500 if it is very nice. For $5000 you should be able to find a 1995 in good shape or maybe a high mileage 1996 (new body style). You really want to get a newer one? The taxi cab companies in Dallas have to sell off all their 1996 model cars before January because you can't go to the airport with a car 5 years old. Therefore...1996 Tauruses and Sables are selling for $2500-$3500, only problem...they have 250-300K on them. I drove one with 280K and it seemed just as solid as the 50-60K ones at dealers. It just looks worn out, it drives fine. Of course these are 3.0L Tauruses...you won't see those kind of miles on a 3.8L...too much underhood heat as has been discussed before.
  • Options
    jimgreenjimgreen Member Posts: 2
    Looking at a used Taurus? The upgrade sound system is definitely not worth buying. The basic sound system in a Taurus is pretty good, and the upgrade system is not very good.
  • Options
    bubbie15bubbie15 Member Posts: 6
    The location of the dent in response 445 is in the frame just forward of the left wheel and about a foot or so from the front of the car. Is this where the transport chains are attached? You would think that they would use nylon straps (lighter, just as strong)
  • Options
    bubbie15bubbie15 Member Posts: 6
    Great! I am finally done with the hellish process of buying a new car. Got a 2000 SEL with just about everything (minus the adjustable pedals). It seems great now (112 miles). My questions are as follows:

1. Just where do I look to see the gap in the molding in the back doors?

2. Upon further inspection, I spotted a small indentation (dent) in the front left wheel area. I asked the salesman about it and he quickly responded with "that is from the chains used to secure the car to the delivery truck." Any truth to that and should I be concerned?
  • Options
    911dan911dan Member Posts: 9
    OK...Getting <15 MPG...had MAF replaced @ 9400 miles..now at 10800...STILL getting <15...going to the dealer on Wednesday to have the car "looked at"...will try to get in touch with the District Mgr tomorrow, IN ADVANCE of my visit....any other ideas? U can write directly to me..

dan911radio@aol.com

Thx
  • Options
    barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Bubbie 15, congratulations on your new SEL! I'm sure you'll love it, as I do mine.

The molding problem I've been talking about is the rubber rail that runs just below the windows on the back doors, and the gap is around the post at the rear of the doors, especially the driver's side. To see a picture I took of mine, click here:
    http://members.home.net/plyfury/taurus/gap.jpg

As far as a small dent in the wheel well, I couldn't find one on my car, and don't know what to tell you about the salesman's response.

Regarding gas mileage, at 4500 miles I'm finally getting around 20 mpg with daily commuting, but a recent 350 mile road trip only yielded 24.5 mpg. Maybe it'll improve when I don't need to run the air conditioning.

One more note about sound systems: The base 6-speaker AM/FM/Cassette system in the '97 Taurus GL that I used to have sounded great. For '99 and 2000 though, Ford cut back to 4 speakers for the base system, which I thought sounded awful. That's why I went for the Mach Audio System in my new SEL, and it sounds great to me. The CD changer is fantastic, and I couldn't be happier with it.
  • Options
    fordman33fordman33 Member Posts: 32
    Barjon - your gas mileage sounds similar to mine, although I am nearing 10,000 miles on my SE (Vulcan, FFV) and I haven't seen any significant change in the gas mileage since it was new. I get 16-20 (usually closer to 16) in town and 24-27 on trips (usually closer to 24). Living on the Gulf Coast, I always use the AC and my driving style is probably not conducive to the best mileage. I can't keep from putting my foot in it between red lights. On the interstate, I usually set the cruise control at somewhere between 72 & 84. I still contend that the advetised mileage is arrived at by having a 92 year old grandmother drive the car, most likely on Sunday with a top speed of 47! I find checking the mileage frustrating because it is so hard to get the tank full. As to the stereo, I have the cd-ready am/fm/cassette w/4 speakers and I am very satisfied with it. I would say it is the best I have hd in a vehicle.
  • Options
    skratchesskratches Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 taurus, vulcan v6 engine, with 36,000 miles on it. i found that i am getting about 30 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg in the city. i use midgrade fuel. i know the owners manual says that it isnt necessary, but when i used regular i found that i got lower gas mileage, and the engine pinged more... the increase in gas mileage more than makes up for the .10 per gallon increase in the gas...
  • Options
    owensse1owensse1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a new 2000 SES with the FFV 3.0 Vulcan engine. I only have 1000 miles on it as of now and realize the mileage figure will probably increase with time, however the 16 mpg still seems unacceptable. Also, when starting the car first thing in the morning it acts as if it wants to kill. Rpm's surge, and engine vibration is rough. I plan to bring the car in to have it checked soon but until then if anyone has info on their FFV vehicle with the same problems and how it was rectified please post me some feedback. Thanks.
  • Options
    sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    owensse1,

Do the rpms surge only for about the 1st minute or so? Mine ('97 GL) tends to do that too, but always stops after about a minute or so. Mine has the vulcan 3.0L engine
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Just rented a 2000 Taurus with the Vulcan motor last week on vacay and put about 1000 hard miles on it. I own a 99 Taurus (SHO, however) so I think I can make some comparisons between the two and make an honest evaluation for those maybe considering a new lower end Taurus.

Ours had 4000 miles on it and was white. It had the standard motor and ABS, along with air tilt cruise, PW, PL, and standard radio. Tan cloth interior.

The car was attractive, especially with tan interior. I typically hate column shifters, but I must admit the flip/fold seat console was incredibly useful and convenient to have in its place. The climate control switches are perfect, and I like the large volume on the radio, but the other buttons were occasionally hard to find. The rest of the dash is tastefully done in nice plastic (unlike many GM cars) and has nice gauges. The vents are in the right spot. Door panels are nice also. The seat cloth is nice, too although the seats are bit unshapely (I am used to the ultra comfy seats in my SHO) and maybe a bit hard. There is nothing offensive about the interior and its very nice, yet its not as airy feeling as my '99 Taurus, nor is it particularly youthful looking. The interior is more tailored to an older more conservative crowd. So I prefer my 99, but many may like the 2000 better and certainly it is tasteful for a car selling under 20k. And it is plenty big inside and nice upright seats you can spend many hours in and not feel cramped.

Since I am used to my SHO and like quicker handling, stiffer riding vehicles, its tough for my to be 100% objective on the ride and handling, but I thought the steering to be a bit slow and mushy and the ride however was only marginally soft. Traditional car fans should find the ride right on and the car is very quiet. i blame the cheapo standard tires for the lack of aggressive feel to the car. That, and I am sure the steering is purposefully slow so the folks who like cruiser cars don't get offended. Again, though it was not pure mush, just enough mush to not feel real contemporary like say, a Passat would feel. I could certainly live with this as a second car but for a first car, myself, I would really prefer something a lot sportier. Yet, most folks would say its good.

The brakes i thought were subpar and should be updates. We climbed and descended many steep hills and the front disc/ rear drum brakes plain felt weak and mushy on the pedal. Again, I am used to the 4 wheel discs on my SHO, which are better. Yet I stopped whenever I needed.

The Vulcan started and ran fine, and got 25-27 mpg on trips. The motor was quiet until it was pushed then it got noisy and rough and really gave away the fact it was a pushrod motor. It was still smoother than a four popper, but not nearly as nice as the 3.0 Duratec, so make sure you apgrade to the Duratec if you plan to get one. The acceleration was okay, but at times I would've liked more. Only in extreme freeway conditions of merging, etc. will the motor seem inadequate for most drivers though. The transmission was very well matched and held its gear on the big steep hills quite well, even though the engine was buzzing like a chain saw. But, we were on major steep hills.

The car felt solid as a rock and worth every bit its price and then some. Nothing malfunctioned and no rattles or anything petty like that. And the new larger trunk was something I liked, owning a 99 which has the lower trunk. We got lots of stuff in the trunk easy.

Overall, A solid car with lots of comfort, and good value and looks worth more than you'd pay. I would prefer a more sporting car, but for a lot of folks this works well. My advice is if you are to buy one, get for sure the Duratec DOHC and consider a tire upgrade if available. Maybe 4 wheel discs will be available for 2001, if they are do that too. But any other way you get this car is a good value for a large well built comfortable touring car.
  • Options
    goatmangoatman Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 1999 Taurus used. I don't know for sure which engine I have. I have seen references to the Vulcan engine & Duratec engine. How can I tell by looking at the engine which I have. Also I see references to FFV. What does that stand for. In the Edmunds 1999 Taurus optional equipment list there is a 3.0 L DOHC engine and 3.0 L FFV engine listed. The FFV engine is worth more for appraisal than the DOHC. The Vulcan engine is supposedly standard. What gives?
  • Options
    goatmangoatman Member Posts: 3
    In my previous post I asked about the relative value of the DOHC engine vs. the FFV. I made a mistake. I meant EFF instead of FFV.
  • Options
    owensse1owensse1 Member Posts: 2
    It's my understanding that FFV stands for "Flexible Fuel Vehicle". This is an upgrade which deals with the fuel managment system to allow the car to run on gasoline blended with ethanol. I live in the south and so far there are no ethanol fuel stations around here but they are some up north and the price per gallon is about 20 cents cheaper. Ethanol fuels are suppose to be more environmentally friendly than other "gasoline" fuels. But here is the downside, when it is used your mpg will drop because it is not as efficient of a fuel. Anyway, I bought it because it was the color I wanted and it was on the lot, plus the FFV equipment was a no cost upgrade and it can still run on unleaded gas as a normal engine would. But I worry a little because I've seen references to TSB's "technical service bulletins" stating that there have been problems with the fuel pumps and or fuel pressure regulators. Does this mean that this upgrade FFV equipment is not worth the hassle? Maybe not since I don't see a real surge for ethanol fuel in the future and most people will only keep this vehicle for a few years anyway before buying another. Use your best judgement when buying, if you can do without the FFV option, I'd say do it. Even better yet is the DOHC engine.
  • Options
    v8shov8v8shov8 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone heard about any new options on the 2001. Only thing ive heard about is the new standard 18 gallon gas tank and a few new colors. I heard somewhere that they might actually put an in-dash CD for 2001 but that might be asking too much.
  • Options
    The FFV engine is the Vulcan.

v8shov8---while were asking, maybe they can return the v8 option and pump it up to 275 hp. An auto-manual transmission would rule, too. Hey, how bout adding an AWD option and heated memeory seats? And maybe an option like on the ALLroad Quattro Audi wagon to raise the car for more ground clearance if needed.
  • Options
    barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Yes, an in-dash single CD player, replacing the cassette player, is optional on the SE, and standard on the SES. The trunk or center console mounted 6-CD changer is now standard on the SEL with the Mach Audio System (80 watts and 2 more speakers) optional.

Spruce green, a 1999 color, returns to replace Tropic Green. All other 2000 colors return for 2001.
  • Options
    jhallgrenjhallgren Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks...Need a bit of advice...
    Need to find if anyone has an opinion of what would be a fair price for selling a 1994 with ONLY 19,600 miles on it! This is my problem now due to estate handling. It seems that it has the H/G problem BUT dealer has said they would fix under extended warranty if done before 03/01.

I have checked Edmunds, KBB and a few used car sites for similar cars but may have missed some... Any other good places to check??

Thanks!! More details available if needed.
  • Options
    regfootball - could you clarify the "rough and noisy" & "buzzing like a chain saw" that you experienced with the Vulcan ffv? I have over 10,000 miles on mine and it seems to me that you may have exaggerated somewhat. I have driven my taurus through the mountains of eastern TN and did not experience the "chainsaw sound" at all - I'm sure it might be different in the Rockies. I had the cruise control set between 75 & 85 and it performed as well as it did when I was driving through the flatland of TX. Acceleration is excellent for passing/merging situations such as interstate driving. I have had my vulcan to 105+ mph and it didn't seem to be straining. I haven't found the cutoff yet; probably 118.
  • Options
    steep hills and the tranny holding at 4500 rpm because if it were to upshift the car would mostly not have the power to make it up the hill.

We're talking steep hills though. In many cases the cruise control would not hold the speed up the hills. Or if the cruise was off you really had to floor it to keep from losing speed. If you didn't keep it to the floor, in a matter of seconds you were down 10mph.

The engine really did not sound comfortable in this element and was pretty rough. Not so much the volume was a problem as the type of noise. A balance shafted OHC motor would no doubt be smoother and of a more pleasant sound.

It seemed as it were really straining but in most flat interstate travel is was pretty quiet and unobtrusive and for the most part pretty good power. Certainly it was not a problem that would keep me from buying the car if push came to shove and the price was right, because its still a v6. Again, the tranny was very well matched to it.

I would spring the extra dough for the Duratec, though.
  • Options
    RonaHRonaH Member Posts: 12
    Am wondering abut the Taurus reliability. Also, can anyone tell the differences in the Vulcan and Duratec engines? Is one better than the other with repsect to how the car runs? Is one more trouble free than the other? Thanks.
  • Options
    pfinkpfink Member Posts: 3
    Just a quick status report on my 2000 SEL with about every option. 8900 miles since taking delivery in January. First new car without any problems (knock wood)! In town average 20mpg and on a recent 800 mile trip almost 25mpg. Both myself and my wife drove between 65-75 mph. Things that could be better: self diming rear-view mirror, side mirrors that fold, brighter headlights. I noticed the 2000 Sable has fog/driving lights - wonder if they help. Have asked the dealer to adjust the beam upward slightly and that helped a little. Based on our vehicles history so far, we would buy another Taurus (maybe an SHO if they ever make one again).
  • Options
    congrats! hope you enjoy.

rona h - the vulcan and duratec have both proven to be very reliable. The main benefit to the Duratec is extra smoothness and more power. The mpg on the Vulcan should be a little more.

There had been some bad press in the past of bad taurus motors but these motors were in Taurus' only until 199%? and were 3.8. Any Taurus from 96 on has proven to be very reliable engine wise and a heck of a value.
  • Options
    tbddtbdd Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced trans problems on the 2000 model. Ours locked-up im park and we are bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. We had lost the electric power on the car, for a few minutes while we we were driving a couple days before the trans locked-up. The trans did not show any signs of slipping or leaking before it locked-up.
  • Options
    flfflf Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 98 Taurus with the Vulcan engine. When I take my foot off the gas when driving, the car maintains its speed for about 30 seconds up to a minute before finally slowing down. This causes me to have to brake constantly to avoid hitting cars ahead of me that are slowing down through coasting. This problem occurs long after the car has been warmed up. Has anyone else experienced this before?
  • Options
    sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    I haven't had that problem with my '97 GL, but from reading the owner's manual (at least parts of it), I found out that engine braking in just "D" regular drive instead of the D in the circle, overdrive, is much better.
  • Options
    zslickzslick Member Posts: 11
    I have experienced this problem with our 98 SE and have complained about it numerous times in the Taurus 1 forum. Since then, we've had it to the dealer while the car was still under warranty. Paperwork indicates they replaced an "air valve adjustment screw". Since then, the problem is a little less pronounced, but it still maintains some light throttle on release of the gas pedal, which is more than what I consider to be acceptable. My advice: If it's still under warranty, get it to the dealer and make some noise! If they don't get it right, keep taking it back until they do! Good luck.
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    flf: I used to get a new company Taurus every year (Vulcan). So after 16 Taurus's I've experienced a lot. I had one, I think it was a '97 that did exactly what you said, that is when you take your foot off the gas the car would coast forever and barely slow down. I just assumed the engine calibrations were changed and never took it back to the dealer for that problem. I did do what sable suggested and that is I used to drive with the car in D and only used OD on the interstates. The next Taurus I got a year later did not coast like the previous one suggesting that something was not right with the coasting car.

Since that experience I've learned that most electronically controlled fuel injected cars are supposed to close the throttle body when you take your foot off the gas. This is more noticeable in newer LEV cars as this is done for emissions reasons. Sounds like the throttle body closing is delayed on your Taurus implying there is a problem with the throttle body, one or more engine sensors (could be the throttle position sensor) or the engine control computer.
  • Options
    flfflf Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the feedback on my original posting (#470). I will take this information with me to the dealership - it might give them a head start in identifying the problem. Appreciate your help!
  • Options
    goodtimes2goodtimes2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any info regarding the 2000 Ford Taurus SE with the...eek...I think the Vulcan engine in it (whatever is the standard engine, not the suped up one). I'm trading in an F-150 with the 5.4L Triton V-8 and extended cab. Will I be disappointed with the Taurus? Will I be pleased? Would like some opinions here...before I sign the papers. Thanks!
  • Options
    ebal98ebal98 Member Posts: 3
    Has any one had any problems with their engine "pinging" or "knocking"? My car has 6,300 miles on it and has been knocking almost since day one. If you step on the gas lightly or heave, it nocks real bad. Also, had any one had problems with the breaks? When I step on the breaks, the steering wheel shakes real badly. Any information or feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    ante up the extra jing on the duratec just to be sure.

Since you are moving from a pickup to a car, you will notice you will actually be able to FEEL something in the handling and braking of the car now. Yet, it should not be a radical change, as Ford trucks are also good driving vehicles. Mostly you will notice newfound agility in your car, vs. a truck. You may or may not like the lower driving position, depending on what you like. I like to sit car height, others like to sit high. I'll admit, in a blizzard, up high is better, but the other 359 days of the year I don't need to sit high.
  • Options
    goodtimes2 - thats a hard question to answer, as I don't know why you are trading. I decided to respond since I did basically the same thing. I traded a 98 F-150 supercab w/ the 4.2L V-6 (40,000 mi) for a 2000 Taurus Vulcan 3.0 (ffv version). I traded for several reasons; primarily because I am transferring overseas and I felt the F-150 was way too big for european streets. I loved the truck, but I was really tired of the spending $30 or more every time I filled up with gas - I got 13-17 mpg (gas was under $1 a gallon when I bought it). The final straw was my F-150 had the infamous door crack problem which Ford refuses to acknowledge; I couldn't get an acceptable solution from the dealer. I have had Taurus for about 4 months and have already put 10,000 miles on it. I really love it an have had no problems. I get 17-26 mpg w/ the Taurus and always spend less than $20 at the pump. I thought I would really miss the truck, but have not so far. The Taurus is much peppier than my F-150 was; but you might want to try the duratec version of the Taurus if you haven't already, since you are used to the big engine you have in your F-150. I would have got the Duratec engine if it was as simple as spending an extra $800 for that option. I paid $16,300 for my SE, which included the power drivers seat option and alloy wheels. The Taurus is much easier to park than the F-150, but still has a big car feel; I really loved the drive & ride of my F-150 but I haven't been dissapointed with the Taurus and I think my 3 sons are more comfortable in the Taurus than they were in the truck. My biggest complaint is the location of the oil filter on the Taurus; I change my own oil and it is in a hard spot to get too. The trunk is good sized, but we have had to learn to travel lighter. I had a fiberglass lid on my F-150 and we took the whole house with us when we travelled in it. Best part of the trade - I got a good trade in on my truck and dropped my payments by $100 a month.
  • Options
    Better have it checked out - I have experienced neither problem with mine.
  • Options
    911dan911dan Member Posts: 9
    Went to the dealer again last week....they put 20 miles on the car, then hooked it up to "some device" which said the car gets 22-29 Hwy & 19-22 city...filled it today...only got 15.88. Called the Ford 800 #...they said that since the dealer looked at it & said nothing was wrong, THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO!! Even though they also said the car should be getting 22-23 combined. They "took" my information and said they'd keep track of it in case others also complain....the salesman ran the numbers for a 2000 Taurus, but said that I still owe too much on mine (I've had it 11 months)........ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS??????
  • Options
    tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    The type of fuel your state mandates has an effect on MPG. Some states mandate a smog-reducing fuel that results in lower MPG. Or perhaps your odometer is off.

My wifes Honda get a lot less mpg than the sticker said, but it isn't that big of deal to me if the car runs fine and doesn't have any 'check engine' lights on. As most I'm paying 5 bucks more a month for gas.
  • Options
    ebal98ebal98 Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody noticed rust on the front and rear brakes? Or has anybody noticed rust on the engine mounts or the frame of the engine or trans.? My Taurus has 6,500 miles on it and was bought at the end of May. Does anybody think that the rust is to soon? And the engine also pings and knocks. I'am thinking about the Lemon Law. Any Ideas? Any information would be great. Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    hughiem38hughiem38 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 Taurus with the 24V engine. After the engine warms up and with the rpm around the 1000-1600 rpm range there is a shrill whistling noise and can't really tell where it is coming from, engine or dash. It seems really noticable when accelerating under light throttle. The fuel pressure regulator and the IAC valve have both been changed with no luck. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    ebal98 - I posted a while back about the rust on my 2000 Taurus; I saw it on the tow hooks under the rear bumper and some on the engine. My brakes are a little rusty too, but to be expected as they are exposed to the elements. Unpainted exposed metal rusts on any car, so I don't believe the rust is really a problem. As for the ping (if its just a slight ping when accelerating, such as on a hill) , I don't have the problem, but I experienced it with a 98 F-150 that I had. I would suggest running a tank of mid or hi grade fuel to see if it clears up. I believe the owners manual says a slight ping is normal. If it's more than slight, get it to the dealership ASAP.
  • Options
    shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Hi guys. I have a 99 Taurus with the Duratec 3.0. Plenty of pep, but only attaining just over 19 mpg in combined city and highway driving. Also the steering wheel vibrating back and forth with slight application of the brakes. Some rust on the rotors, but thats evidence of them being out of round. The car only has 12,800 miles on it. flf, I have also had the same problem as you. The car never slows down after you back of the gas. I swear I can coast from NH to CA it seems like.
  • Options
    99taurus99taurus Member Posts: 20
    I have noticed a few people mentioning a slight pinging. I have only experienced this once and it was at 100mph going up a slight incline. I read in the owners manual about recommended fuel. I have been using reg unleaded as I thought was recommended. After reading closer the recommended regular had a octane rating higher than my local regular unl octane rating. After switching to Midgrade have never pinged again. As far as costing.... yea it takes me about a mile to coast from 65mph to 60 mph if in overdrive. I switch form OD to D depending if in traffic or on long stretches. I have been getting 19 mpg average on a 24v duratech. I can't resist burying the throttle most times, so I'm sure I could get better if my mother, or grandmother drove it. I believe when I purchased the 99 duratech it was rated at 18-26MPG. I have also noticed the slight vibration when slowing. I have checked all four brakes, no sign of warping. I have also not noticed it consistently. It seams to do it more in warm (85+ F)weather when I also notice a noise form the front end when pulling it my drive. Sound is like a loose balljoint or similar. Dealer has checked out twice and said have tightened cross arm and "reset" the frontend. Still having problem. Not worth dealing with stupid dealer to get the problem resolved. Last trip they scratched my rear door. Another 4 days to repaint (dealer cost) I have not had good luck with dealers, but then again who has!?
  • Options
    hughiem38hughiem38 Member Posts: 9
    If you will have a good brake shop pullyour front rotors and put them on a brake lathe I gurrantee you will find the warped to some extent. I have worked on lots of brake jobs on Taurus and they have always had a history of warped rotors. I have my tires rotated everyother oil change and even though they torque the rims they will still warp.
  • Options
    shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    hughiem38
    Contacted my dealer yeaterday and informed him that rotors were out of round per inspection from Midas. They said they would replace them but it would cost me 28.95 to guarantee them ?. What's with that. the car is under warranty. It's so bad at low speeds ( 40 to 50 mph ) it shakes like an old crack addict!!
This discussion has been closed.