Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I sent this to our tech team. I didn't see this, so I have no idea.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    terry, you're so good, you've got hosts watching out for you in forums completely unrelated to their "software" or "inside line".

very nice.

...i'll be even more impressed though if kristie_h posts a reply back to you in this forum as to why they are having this "technical issue".
  • schmizeschmize Member Posts: 3
    Terry,

Can you give me an idea of what to expect for this?

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

Body Style: [4dr]

Engine: [4 cylinder]

Driveline: [FWD]

Mileage: 53000

Color: [Dark Blue exterior/gray interior]

Major Options: [CD player, spoiler, Power locks, steering]

Condition:

Very good condition

Tires - somewhat worn

Brakes - Brand new routers and pads

Maintenance

Other: Was in an accident w/ a deer. Body work was completed and done well
  • sysopsysop Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the headsup rroyce -- part of it was a problem with the auth code but I'll get in and fix the "unterminated parenthetical" causing your post not to post.
  • tylerwm94tylerwm94 Member Posts: 26

Year/Make/Model: 1998 Honda Accord EX

Body Style: 4dr Sedan

Engine: 4 cylinder, automatic

Driveline: FWD

Mileage: 85K

Color: [Dark Green/Beige cloth interior]

Major Options: [alloys, sun roof, CD]

Condition:

- Brand new brakes

- Tires have about 31K miles on them

- a few dings/scratches on exterior

- interior is in good shape

My main problem is that the paint is faded and the clearcoat peeling from the roof and now starting to on the trunk. I'm wondering if I should have it repainted prior to selling/trading in or if it would even be worth it. If so, what kind of paint job should I do? Should it be a cheap-o MAACO type deal or a high-quality job...how much would you spend?

Thanks!
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Just playing "automotive shrink": from what you're saying, It sounds like you really want to keep the M-B.

*And it is starmarked and under warranty until august 2007*

One of the biggest issues with M-B's are the repair & maintainence costs. However, if you've got 2.5 yrs. left on the warrenty, & love it, why sell it? (But if you do decide to sell it, e-mail me; I'm getting the itch for another/newer car). Just my 2 cents.
  • peachesncohenpeachesncohen Member Posts: 3
    you read my mind! it just kills me to sell this car (and one car has to go) when it is in perfect condition and in my opinion, worth more than the 26k offered. may try to sell on ebay and see what i get. thanks for being my automotive shrink. i need it!
    Do you have any idea of what a "high-quality" paint job would cost? Probably as much, or more, than the car is worth. It's a 7 yr. old economy car with 85K.......I'm thinking, sell it privately, "as is".
  • cstowecstowe Member Posts: 101
    Just my .02 but I would keep the MB without question...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    ...i'll be even more impressed though if kristie_h posts a reply back to you in this forum as to why they are having this "technical issue".

sysop, "Real-World Trade-In Values" #24770, 3 Feb 2005 2:14 pm

How's THAT for impressive?

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here til Sunday.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Don't forget to tip your waitress......

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• peachesncohenpeachesncohen Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. Through all the agonizing over this, that is what we have decided to do. Just cannot "give" this car away. Thanks for your reply.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    wow the sysop has spoken...

terry "we're not worthy".

beyond impressed. ;)
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818

1996 Windstar GL - 7 passenger

3.8 L, V-6 engine

95000 Miles

Power steering, power brakes

airbags

4-wheel antilock brakes

privacy glass, power windows & locks, power mirrors, quad bucket seats, rear

AC & heat

new battery in 2004

tune up in 2004 (transmission flush, power steering system flush, coolant

flush)

new tires in 2003

up-to-date on oil changes"

What's it worth trade-side/on the street?

TIA

-Mathias

=========================

Good description .. have you done this before.?

Actually the miles are low for the year, it's a 7 pass, rear breeze, 3.8, power pack with the quads and it has some new stuff .... you know the drill, runs like a top, no rust, no Scott Peterson interior etc, etc etc ... trade side, maybe the $1,5ish zipcode and $2,000 on a super push, depending on the blah blah blah of course .... Retail Rd, $3,900 *asking* and if properly done $2,9/$3,5 ........... ;)

Terry.

============================================

This goes back to early Nov 2004... but we never forget a car around here... anyway, I got it for my Father-in-Law.

It has a nasty intermittent problem with the starter interlock, which shows up once a month, but to get the old boy safely home to Missouri, 660 miles away, I worked up a little temporary solution if/when the silly thing won't crank:

http://www.msu.edu/~steine13/starter.html

This was fun to do, took all of 15 minutes.

It's fairly clean and very well taken care of; I think $2,000 was fair for all involved. Many thanks to you, Terry, once again.

-Mathias
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    sometimes i click on this(or another thread), and just start reading. i was doing just that, when i read terry commenting on how oklahoma just beat up on colorado, or something like that 40 to 3. huh? i was 2 months back! the posts were still good though!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... "unterminated parenthetical" ...... oh yeah, thats actually what I was telling a friend over a cup of tea the other day - it must be the "unterminated parenthetical" ....... whatever that is ........ ;^)

Kirstie, Thanks for the help .. your a wonderful Lady ...

Terry. (who has the computer and typing skills of a frog)
    My niece is trading in an 03 Nissan Frontier club cab SE 2WD with 21K on the clock.

No-sale green, grey cloth, V6 auto, air, power locks, CD, alloys. Located in Palm Harbor, FL (Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater) Has extended warranty after 1 more yr of factory warranty is up.

Looking at 03 Honda Civic EX coupe - auto, moon roof, CD stereo, air, alloys. White with IIRC tan cloth (but could be grey); 15K miles. Local Honda dealer asking 11,688.

I think she could get the Civic for $9500 and get maybe the same in trade for her truck. She has no qualms about selling the truck at Carmax.

Help me edumacate an 18 year old in the ways of wheelin' and dealin' here Terry!

Thanks,

Deke

==========================

Morning Deke, your right up the street from my Dad ...

Color is ho-hum but the miles are right, it's a 2wd Club cab V6 03 SE, we got the auto thing, power pack, tunes, warranty doesn't mean much on a trade - but, if it's never been used she can probably get something back from the company .... if it's clean, and as long as she hasn't used it for a door stop or bounced it off the Skyway Bridge, then trade side, in and around the super tall $12's, low/mid $13's ...... 03 Civic EX with all the stuff and low miles, I would think she could trade for her vehicle and "maybe" dead even or in and around the $500/$900ish figure, if I understand this right - (where's that second cup of coffee.?)

Terry.
    ...... This was one of the posts that dissapeared the other day, lets see if this one sticks ..

The mystery post.! ..... hmm, is this a repost.? or is this a repost of a repost.? .. or could this be a repost of a repost of a repost.?

Anyway ......

**I have leased a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD, and would like to get out of the lease now. Can you please let me know what price I am likely to get on this vehicle - and the best ways to sell it (online or offline). Here is the description of the vehicle:

Volvo XC90 T6 AWD

15K miles / Northern VA

Automatic / 5 seater

Crystal green metallic exterior / Lt. Taupe interior

7x17" Neptune Alloy Wheels

Options (>2K worth):

1) Climate Package (heated front seats, headlamps washers)

2) Wooden steering wheel

3) Bi-xenon headlamps with auto level control

2.9L/6 Cyl/Twin turbo with 268HP

Driver/front passenger/side curtain airbags/Whiplash protection

6 Disc IN DASH CD changer

All Wheel Drive with rollover protection, and Dynamic Stability Traction Control

and all other standard stuff.

Car is in excellent condition and has gone through all the factory scheduled maintenance in the past year.** ..

=================================

In old Virginny ... (Deja vue) we have a 04 XC90 T6 AWD with 15k, no-sale green, good interior, miles are a little tall, cold package, blinders, 17's ... if it's a nice one, no visits to Maaco, no soccer Mom interior, no curb burners, then trade side, in and around the $32/$33 range ..... down Retail Rd, $36,900 *asking* and send it off for the first $35,9/$36,5 - a super detail, some super pics and a great 5/6 liner Ad in the Big paper(s) in your area should get it done, clean cars get clean money and dirty cars get dirty money, even if you have to rent a $69 a week driver for a few weeks to keep it clean, if it shows good it will sell good ....... :) .... whats your pay-off.?

Don't forget the update ...

Terry.
    ...... $2 grand ..? Jesse James wore a mask ya know ...........

Where's picture #4 ...?

your welcome,

Terry.
    " Where's picture #4 ...? "

It got lost in the parenthethetheticals.

It should be nice today, I'll take some pictures later; it occurred to the Mrs. last night that Grampa Harry would probably like to see what the vehicle looks like he just bought... I was just paranoid he'd get gas in Lansing, Illinois and then be stuck when it won't start again.

There was a guy on the Subie forum w/ the same problem (no cranking) on an automatic '05 -- ouch. I floated the same idea but it was scoffed at as "messing with the electrical system". Sissies.

-Mathias
  • tempnirvanatempnirvana Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply Terry.

Yes, this was a repost of a repost of a repost ;-).

My pay-off is 38.5K as of today, and of course, the longer i keep it the less I have to pay off (and more I have to pay). I am currently trying a lease assumption with one of the folks who is interested. It has 31 months of lease outstanding @ 635.00 a month, 15K miles per year, and 22K residual value.

Are there any traps I should be mindful of? The leasing bank is US Bank.

Thanks for your insight.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    You are a genius. I can come up with ideas like that, but implementing them usually either destroys an important part of the car or puts me in the emergency room.

Don't you know that you theory guys aren't supposed to have practical skills too?
  • fbranhamfbranham Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently in a negitive equity situation on my '01 Ford Explorer Sport 2D 4x4 - I have 97500 miles on it (owe 12.4k) and is in good condition with normal wear. I plan to trade this + money down on:

Charleston, WV area

2002 Chevy Avalanche 4x4

33500k miles

5.3L engine

Dark blue

Condition:

Seems very nice inside, well kept, clean. All cloth nice, no evidence of leaks or rips near the midgate. Slight fading of cladding on panels 1,2,3. Exterior looks good, no scratches, dings, cladding around wheels, doors looks fine - only question underside of vechile...i see rust along frame rails, around holes, etc - possibly used in heavy road salt environment (OH). Tires look to have about 25% left, but dealer willing to go in half on new ones. Brakes feel soft and takes long stops - maybe just the girth of such a large SUV/truck?? Rides nice - no noise. Engine strong - smooth.

They are offering 8550 on my trade + 4750 down with 22.9k for the truck - around 389 for 66mo they quoted me. My wife and I have a concern about the depreciation of this truck since I drive above avg miles (15k-20k) a year and are considering saving for next 6 mo for a '03 Avalanche in fall with similar miles, features. I'm also concerned with my trade depreciation - dealers say my trade with over 100k miles will hurt tremendously. Should I go ahead and consider this vechile while my tradein is under 100k or try and save up more and buy the 03 in the fall? Thanks.
  • schmizeschmize Member Posts: 3
    Terry,

Can you give me an idea of what to expect for this?

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

Body Style: [4dr]

Engine: [4 cylinder]

Driveline: [FWD]

Mileage: 53000

Color: [Dark Blue exterior/gray interior]

Major Options: [CD player, spoiler, Power locks, steering]

Condition:

Very good condition

Tires - somewhat worn

Brakes - Brand new routers and pads (january 05)

Maintenance

Other: Was in an accident w/ a deer. Body work was completed and done well
    Check the policy of US Bank in regard to lease assumptions.. If they do NOT release you from liability, then I recommend that you don't allow a lease assumption..

Some banks release you, some don't.. Too dangerous to let someone assume your lease if they don't... Sort of like letting someone you don't know, borrow your car for three years and promise to make the payments..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You are not the first owner?

Peeling clear coat on a 98 Honda, has it been repainted?

A good paint job on the top and trunk, it is about $400 per panel, a bit more or less depending on who you use. This is not a Maaco job.

FYI a panel is hood, trunk lid, quarter panel, one door skin, etc.

Yes, you should have it fixed to sell it, give it a good detail,finish any maintenance and safety inspected. New tires and battery will also go a long way to bring the price up. Then you can ask almost top dollar get take more than you will get now.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    This dude has been sitting on the local Chevy dealer's used car lot for over three months now! I know these are slow sellers, but jeez...

2004 Chevy SSR

53XX miles

Yeller/black guts

No options

What is this sucker worth in sunny Columbia, SC???

Turboshadow
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Haven't been here in a while. Got one for you Terry......here's the particulars....

-Cincinnati area

-04 RX8 GT 6 speed, 10K miles....all the goodies with Nav

-black leather, heated seats

-"winning" blue

-sunroof

-HID lights

-Bose

-serviced only by dealer, plenty or warranty (50K or 2 more years)

-totally stock with no ground effects, spoilers or other "gee-gaws"

-everything's fine...no runs, no drips, no errors.

-garage kept, non-smoker, more wax on it than there is on my 5 year old Allen Edmunds

Thinking of moving to a C6 'vette (mid life crisis) so I need trade-in and "owner sale" price of the RX.

Thanks!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    RX-8 not enough of a foolish mid life crisis choice - gotta get the Vette?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Or do something really stupid like me, buy a motorcycle....
    robr....I've got many fantasies....the 'vette has always been one since I was 14. I've got other ones, but the 'vette is the only one I can afford and I'm not good looking enough or powerful enough for the other fantasies.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    we have one with an *asking* price of $26995.

i would imagine we paid around $23k-$23.5k.

am i right terry?
    "I'm not good looking enough or powerful enough for the other fantasies."

i think those can be also a matter of money. ;-)
    I'm wondering how much you could save by buying a nice used C5? And have you compared the C5 to the C6 Corvette??
    dbauer.....you are absolutely right....enough money could take care of those other fantasies.....;-)

At least with the 'vette, I'll have something to look at and drive after spending the money, though.

I've compared the C5 to the C6. Plain and simple, I like the C6 better. Aside from the C6 improving in every area over the C5, I like the looks of the C6 more.

That said, a C5 is certainly a nice sports car in and of itself.
    "At least with the 'vette, I'll have something to look at and drive after spending the money, though."

not if you bring a video camera...lol.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Or do something really stupid like me, buy a motorcycle....

That was my plan until my dear wife thought it was a great idea and wanted her own bike too!!

Now I'm the only 40 YO I know who's lusting after a Volvo station wagon. Little does she know what "R" means on a Volvo!
    An '04 V70 R just hit my local paper today.. private seller..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I had a chance to take a long drive in an R model (S60). Nice, nice car. Real fast. Real expensive.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    Ran across this interesting gem in the local auto swapper kinda paper and it just peaked my interest (although i'd really like a car with a warranty again).

'99 E55 AMG

Silver over black

33K miles!

yup, you read right 33k miles. that's the ONLY reason I would even consider it. So what do you think? I know its not much info to go on, but they come loaded and the low miles make me assume its clean, so let's base the evaluation on that. Oh, its a private party seller. So where might this puppy sit at auction in the northeast?

as always, thanks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    oh, but its got the geartronic. Not good on those cars. PLUS, with the current pricing, you can get a brand new '05 with all the options (besides NAV) for $40k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

dbauer.....you a funny guy....I never thought about the video camera thing. I'm a "touchy-feely" kind of guy. Video isn't my thing.

I've gone the motorcycle route (an INDIAN, no less). Nice bike. Hard to keep on the road. Once I got word they were going belly up, I dumped it. It was a lot of fun for about a year, though. Much less after that (mainly due to the poor reliability). I could have gone the Harley route, but that's a whole "lifestyle" type purchase which holds little meaning for me.

Any other good "guesses" on what the RX8 should sell/trade for?
    video = the gift that keeps on giving! ;-)
  • rthorntonrthornton Member Posts: 9
    Hi Terry,

Apparently, my initial post fell victum to the computer munchies.

Also nochmal mit gefuhl,

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L

4dr

V8 RWD

Mileage: 7,877 miles

Carnival Red exterior/Cashmere(tan) interior

Moon roof, Nav, Premium sound, reverse park control, sport package

The car is in very good condition. There's a small spot on the right front bumper

where it met a tall curb. Never been to K-Mart and no french fries have danced across the seats.

However, a soccer mom has been a passenger on occasion.

What can I expect on a trade-in and what should I ask if I sell it?

Thanks,

Roger.
    Okay, here's pic#4

http://www.msu.edu/~steine13/starter.html

Not too bad looking for a, what, 13-year-old car...

-Mathias
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Kinda need to know what this is worth......please please please!!

2002 Subaru Legacy L wagon, pwr stuff, a/c, cruise, am/fm/cass, good tires, silver/grey, 4-cyl/auto, AWD, 57,9xx miles.

WAS in nice shape for a 3 year old car........I say WAS because Mom hit a moose with it at 2 am this morning. She's ok, her hand got hit, she ducked so the rear feet of the moose got her hand and broke the dash of the car. It was 40 below zero, no cell service, and 2 truckers slowed down, looked and took off. She drove around in the car for 30 minutes looking for someone to help her. Froze her hand, finally found someone and they called me. BIG moose, one of the biggest I've seen, she was VERY lucky.

I don't think there's a body panel that didn't get dented, the moose went up and over the car, got both sides. Pic:

http://www.members.aol.com/akangl/car.jpg

I'm just wondering what to expect.

Body shop advised to start looking since they are 90% sure its totalled. So, saw this at the Ford dealer when we went to pick up the Dodge today.

2004 Focus 4dr sedan, pwr stuff, cruise, a/c, am/fm/cd, red/grey, 11k miles, auto, looks very nice except for a very small crack in the front bumper and a door ding on the fender. Oh and its CPO by Ford. Asking $11,995 but said they will easily take $10k OTD (I think they will go lower).

She has said she might want another Legacy but is interested in the Focus.
  • cheryl08681cheryl08681 Member Posts: 3

1999 Honda Accord EX

Body Style: 4dr Sedan

Engine: 3.0 liter V6 Automatic

Driveline: FWD

Mileage: 73500 (give or take a few miles)

Color: Black exterior/Gray Interior

Options: Leather; Sliding Moon/Sun Roof, Alloy Wheels, CD, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Seat, Rear Spoiler--Loaded!

Interior Condition: Excellent condition-new mats, no visible stains/rips/scratches.

Exterior Condition: Good Condition-visible scratches/dings from inconsiderate drivers that parked next to me. The car is black, so you can see the scratches when it's washed and shiny. Is there an inexpensive/easy way to fix???

Tires: New ones at around 55k--less than 20k on them.

Brakes: Replaced Rear Pads a year ago. Just replaced Front Pads a few months ago.

Maintenance: Serviced regularly--I don't think I have all the service records, but I do have all the records for any major repairs.

No prior damage/insurance claims or repaints.

I appreciate your expert opinion!!

Thanks!

Cheryl
    Hi Terry,

Apparently, my initial post fell victum to the computer munchies.

Also nochmal mit gefuhl,

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L

4dr

V8 RWD

Mileage: 7,877 miles

Carnival Red exterior/Cashmere(tan) interior

Moon roof, Nav, Premium sound, reverse park control, sport package

The car is in very good condition. There's a small spot on the right front bumper

where it met a tall curb. Never been to K-Mart and no french fries have danced across the seats.

However, a soccer mom has been a passenger on occasion.

What can I expect on a trade-in and what should I ask if I sell it?

Thanks,

Roger.

=====================

"nochmal mit gefuhl" -- again, there is no bones in ice cream.??? ......... ok, gotcha .....

Back to the Jag stuff .... 7,900 miles.? .. Whoa, low low low low low low miles (did I say low.?)

What, did you keep this thing tucked away in a earthquake-proof crystal cylinder..? .. right color for the area, Nav, slider, back-up beep beep, tunes, sport pack and you say it's in very good condition, except for the curb burner .... If ~ no repaints, no touch-ups, no Swiss Army knives in the seats: then trade side, in and around the super ultra tall $15's, low/mid/high $16's, might maybe "could" see a dealer dive over the $17 figure, maybe .. the only thing that might hold this back, is the color .. folks love to look/touch and see the Carnival Red's, it's the buying part that makes them scarce ...

Down Retail Rd, finish any service, a visit to the Dukes of Detail, a glorious 5/6 liner Fat Daddy Ad in the Big paper, $21,900 *asking* and cut and run at the first $20,5/$21,5 .... if it's a nice one, I bet it won't last long on the Left Coast ..

Don't forget to give me the update on this one, I will be real interested in what figures you'll be seeing .............. :)

Terry.