Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    BMW increased the incentive on the 330i to $4,200 from $3,800 and introduced a $4,000 incentive for the 330xi. The 325i incentive of $2,500 remains the same and there's a new incentive of $1,500 for 325xi's. No incentive for 3 wagons.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Oh man, I just optioned my car and I could get it for 35.5 easily. Wow, that's a crazy good deal. Soooo tempting.
  • Options
    What about the last year of your current lease?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Uh, just sell the car and get a new one? It's been two years, the itch has set in. LOL
  • Options
    You might get killed.. I have to believe with a $4200 incentive on a new one, the used ones have to be taking a beating..

But, you could sell the Protege.. With two BMWs, you could keep enough miles off the lease, and still drive a BMW to work every day....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Actually, I have a new job 10 miles from home now so the Protege will be going bye-bye in May. I figure at my current pace I'll be at least 18k under my lease agreement with one year to go. That'll give me plenty of wiggle room.

Want an 03 Mazda Protege ES with 26k miles on it?

I would take a hit dumping my 03 330i ZHP (I could maybe get 27-28k for it) but then I'd also dump the pro and simply buy the 05 330i (and baby this one).
  • Options
    alex_1alex_1 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like a great deal but considering the downward price trend we are in it may get even better in April! The risk you are taking is that if you wait for the "better deal" you may not find a ZHP available either in the color you want or with the options you need. It cuts both ways. If you are very flexible, waiting will net you a better deal on the new one although you will get hurt more on your 03 ZHP trade.

Tough choice to make, good luck with either one. (Doubt you will get this deal on the 06 though.)
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    kyfdx,

sorry to bug you again oh guru of BMW knowledge. I really want to get one, but BMW dealers haven't been making it easy. I just read about the new marketing support on the sedans (finally the x models too).

Could I get the following leasing info for 36 and 39 months, 10k and 12k miles per year

All manual trans

330i coupe (.0008 MF? nice)
    325i coupe
    and all 3 series sedans (both 330 and 325, and both x and non x).

Thanks!
  • Options
    All info is 36 month.. don't have 39 mo.numbers.

Unless they are running a special, 39 mo. usually aren't any better...

330Ci coupe.. .0008 residual 60%/10K...59%/12K
    325Ci coupe.. .0010....same residuals as 330Ci
    330i... .00225 residuals are 55% and 54%
    325i... .00225 residuals are 58% and 57%
    330xi.. .00210 56% and 55%
    325xi.. .00200 58% and 57%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    BMW increased the incentive on the 330i to $4,200 from $3,800 and introduced a $4,000 incentive for the 330xi. The 325i incentive of $2,500 remains the same and there's a new incentive of $1,500 for 325xi's.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Are there any 325xi's left?
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Damn, when I saw the .0008 MF for the 330ci coupe I was hoping they dropped the MF on the Sedans as well. Thanks tons for the info. Back to the BMW dealer this weekend to do battle.
  • Options
    pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    I haven't seen the March Lease rates (MF and Residuals) posted for the 330Cic...36-months; 15k/year. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    330Cic Convertible

36 mo/15k mi – 61% Residual Value – Money Factor .00150 Base Rate

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    No change from February...Thanks.
  • Options
    kellyakellya Member Posts: 1
    i am looking into buying a 2005 325cic convertible fully loaded with
    premium pkg
    sport pkg
    cold weather
    hk sound
    nav

it seems like the dealers don't want to budge and the lowest price i've gotten is 46,190

i am thinking of leasing

can you tell me what would be a good money factor residual looking at a 36 month 45000
    miles

thank you so much for any help you can give
  • Options
    325i Convertible

24 mo/15k mi – 70% Residual Value – Money Factor .00150 Base Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – 60% Residual Value – Money Factor .00150 Base Rate

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bradsterbradster Member Posts: 6
    I am currently looking at buy a 330i or 330cic in the next few weeks. Do the incentives of $4200 apply to the 330ci convertible?

Thanks much for your help.
  • Options
    No.. but, the lease numbers are pretty good.. I wouldn't bet on them being this good in April..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    skimoskimo Member Posts: 23
    Hi all,

So we have info on all residuals, MF, etc..anyone with cap cost/monthly payment quotes from dealers? Im looking at 330i. Dealer would not go below 37k for base model!! Could I get better? I am also considering the 330Ci, will it be cheaper (given better MF)? I am talking about leasing. (or owner's choice programs for those states who have it).

thanks!!
    skimo

Thanks
  • Options
    coby03coby03 Member Posts: 55
    skimo,

The answer is yes to your question regarding lower lease payments on the Ci vs sedan. If you want 4 doors, it's going to cost you $20-30 per month more on a 3 year lease, assuming they give you all the incentive cash available to them (which I believe is $4000 now on the 330i). The MF/RV is hard to beat right now if you like the coupe.
  • Options
    Thanks coby03!

Do you have actual monthly payment/down payment/cap cost figures? A traditional leasing calculator is not giving me what the delears are asking for!!

Thanks

ps: I am in texas, I have to pay taxes up front!! ouch!
  • Options
    One more thing, are the MFs constant all over US? The dealer told me the MF for 325i was 0.00265!! (this was on March 01). Could I assume he was lying?

Thanks
    skimo
  • Options
    Coupes are cheaper to lease than sedans, right now...

BMWFS allows the dealer to mark up the money factor by .0004

Which is how your dealer gets .00265, instead of .00225... He isn't lying.. but he isn't giving you the lowest rate possible, either..

You have to shop around.. the first dealer you go to might give you a good deal... but, he might not...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks kyfdx!!
    I just read the last 500 posts, you seem to be the guru arround here! I'd feel sorry for the dealership you step into!!

Would you have any advice on the "owner's choice" option vs leasing? They seem to be exactly the same from the buyer's side. Do you have any info on intrest rates used in that program? Dealer told me 7.2% is he giving me the lowest rate?

Thanks
    skimo
  • Options
    Usually, that program is used only by residents in states that tax the entire price of the car on a lease... or by business people that need to have ownership of the car for tax purposes..

The lease programs have better finance rates... and usually, lower payments..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, I am in texas. The dealer mentioned it would help with taxes. I did not want to ask him in what way as I did not want to show my ignorance. Especially with a dealer who was already making full use of it!! When I go back i want to be better equipped.

Does this mean with the owner's choice program, I do not have to pay taxes on the full price of the car only on the "leased" portion? And will an owner's choice program cost less as a whole (adding everything I ever payed during the 36 months, down payment, ttl etc..)?

As a general consumer (not business person) should I go with the owner's choice???

Thanks

Thanks
  • Options
    bronxbornbronxborn Member Posts: 7
    2005 330xi
    premium pkg.
    cold weather pkg.
    xenon lights
    automatic trans.
    lease deal: (based upon price of $38,975) = $3,000 cap cost reduction (total up-front money is $5,000) + $489/month (including tax) for 36 months

If I am correct that current incentives bring their invoice down in the $36K range, this is still a better deal for the dealer than for me. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    daffodildaffodil Member Posts: 14
    I was planning on buying a 330xi (either '05 or '06) toward the end of this year and figured the '05's would probably be a better deal. However, after skimming through some of the posts (definitely not carefully, so I might have missed some stuff), I think I read that they might not make the '05 models anymore after April. If that's the case, does that mean if I want an '05 model, I would have to buy before April? While the '06 model sounds great, my concern is that there might be kinks in the system that need to be worked out (since this is the first redesigned model). However, better fuel economy is also enticing!

Also, I noticed some people posting about how they got really good deals and paying below invoice price. Is there a "typical" good time for me to shop if I want to get a good deal?

Thanks very much for any feedback. I will definitely be visiting this forum more once I figure out when it's a more ideal time for me to buy!
  • Options
    fishgreg1fishgreg1 Member Posts: 10
    I think we got a good deal on a 330XI last month. MSRP on 330xi was $42,850 and dealer was offering it at $38,145. Lease for 36mos/15k miles a year is $450.00 (includes sales tax), with $2843 total out of pocket down. Not sure if this is a good deal for March though, since newer incentives are out. Noticed yesterday in the paper that they are pushing 24 month leases now.
  • Options
    There is no savings upfront with the owner's choice program.. From what I understand, your savings will be on the back end.. Since your name is on the title, you'll get credit on the sales tax when you trade it in on your next car.. But, with the interest rates being so high on that program, I think you'd be giving all of your savings back in increased finance charges..

I don't really follow that program... It might be advantageous to use it in Texas or Illinois, but I wouldn't know for sure...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    What is the MSRP of the car you are considering?

1) Cap cost reductions aren't advisable.. That money is gone if your car is stolen or totaled shortly after leasing it..

Nice handle.. you don't live in NY now, do you?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    They quit making '05 3-series sedans in January.. Dealers may still be getting deliveries through April, but with the current incentives, selection will be narrowing rapidly.

There is a $4K incentive currently on the '05 330Xi... Now would be a good time to shop, as the selection is dwindling already... You don't "have" to buy soon.. but, you won't have much to pick from, if you wait..

The '06 model will be a little higher priced, and certainly won't have any cash incentives available for quite awhile...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    congrat Alex1 on his purchase. From your post, I figured you must have paid $35700-$35800. That's indeed a steal. I testdrove one a few months ago with exact specs like yours, and was certainly impressed with the handling, especially the ride. Yet I couldn't get over the rumble of the exaust. And since that car had steptronic (just like yours), I wondered if a 330i w/sport and SMG would be a bit faster and a lot less noise.

BTW, the car I testdrove was a '04 CPO with only 800 miles on the Odo, and the asking price was $38k+.
  • Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    that front chin spoiler, while it dramatically improves the front end appearance, is a speedbump and parking lot stopper lover. A few ZHP cars that I have seen already have scratches underneath the spoiler.

I wonder how low the ZHP is sitting compare to the SP and regular 330.

I think I'm bit off track here. My apology to the forum host.
  • Options
    bronxbornbronxborn Member Posts: 7
    MSRP is $43,795. I didn't mention that they are also offering me acceptable amount on a trade-in that I am keen to get off my hands. One of the recent posts referenced a February deal, but the money factor has changed. It is now .00210 on the xi models. That makes a big difference (1.9% v. 5%).

Re: the handle: I am in CT now but still nostalgic about walking across the 207th street bridge into Manhattan and climbing the rocks in Inwood Park.
  • Options
    alex_1alex_1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, well I actually paid just a little more than 35.8 for it (primarily for Xenons). Funny you said this, my first choice was 330i/sport/prem/SMG but there was only one available in the state of California that was already on a dealer lot and had the "wrong" color (not to mention it had to be shipped from central CA). So I went with the ZHP/Step which is also absolutely amazing to drive. It's a shame they don't make a 330i/ZHP/SMG combination, for that I would have given up on my favorite color (mystic blue).

Best of luck. Now busy adding Sirius satellite radio and trying to figure out the bluetooth thingie with my phone.
  • Options
    daffodildaffodil Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, kyfdx and fishgrey1, for responding! I went to the BMW site and "built my own" steel blue 330xi (automatic transmission, premium/cold weather/sport packages, park distance control, and xenon headslights). The MSRP as configured is $45,345. I could go either way on the park distance control/xenon headlights and was wondering if you have any feedback about the options and packages. The only things I really "need" are the auto transmission and cold weather package. I really added the premium package because if I get the leather seats, it's a better "deal" to get the package rather than just the seats alone (and it would be nice to have the auto dimming of the rearview mirrors, though I guess that's not really a "need"). I don't care much for the Bluetooth stuff, but could it give the car better resale value? I'd like to get the iPod hookup (and if not, then I'd have to add the CD changer for about $600). For those of you who have any feedback on the options (what's worth getting, what's not), I'd greatly appreciate it!

In any case, since I've never purchased a new car before, I'm wondering how the process of asking for dealer quotes works and what a reasonable quote for a car configured as I did originally (fully-loaded) would be. Kyfdx, you mentioned that there's a $4K incentive on the 330xi right now. Does that mean I would take $4K off the MSRP?

Please excuse me for all these basic questions, and thanks again for all your help!
  • Options
    I think you are correct... the invoice minus incentive on the car is probably in the low $36Ks... So, your price of almost $40K is awfully high..

The money factor was artificially low before.. that was the incentive.. Now that they have put the incentive into dealer cash, the lease numbers had to change..

The result: Whether to lease or buy is more of a personal decision on what works best for your situation... before the change, leasing was almost imperative..

Example:
    MSRP $43,795
    Selling price $37,295 ($2500 off MSRP - $4K)
    CAP cost $37,920 (selling price + $625 acq.)
    MF .0021
    Residual 55% (assuming 12K/yr..you didn't say)
    Payment $515/mo. + tax(6%?) = $546/mo.
    Due at signing: 1st pymt, security deposit, title and license.. ($1300-$1500 approx.)

The biggest difference from what you were quoted is I am assuming a selling price about $1700 less. I think that still leaves an easy $1000 or more for the dealer...

And, no cap cost reduction..

Of course, the big variable is your trade.. They may be giving you a price you are happy with, and making it up on the price of the new car.. If they are "over-allowing" on your trade, then that might not leave any room for them to come down.. There really is no way to know that, for sure..

The only way to positively judge a new car deal is without the trade... The rest of it is just guessing...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I like all the packages.. I don't have much use for PDC, but I really love xenons..

I believe the sport package only adds sport seats and sport steering wheel to a 330xi (maybe some different alloys), so make sure you like the sport seats before getting this...

BUT, you can't order one the way you want.. the build-your-own site is great for seeing what is possible, and for how much, but since they are out of production, you'll have to see what local dealers have in stock..

I would definitely recommend premium package, heated seats, xenons, and automatic (if you prefer that)... Most cars on the lot will probably be equipped that way..

If you are looking at a unit with an MSRP of $42K or above... You should be looking for about $6000-$6800 off of the MSRP... IOW, $2000-$2800 off MSRP minus the $4K dealer incentive..

The dealer isn't required to share the incentive money with you... it isn't the same as a consumer rebate.. But, anything that lowers his cost, should be reflected in your price..

Never purchased a new car? Find a friend that knows what they are doing, and take them along.. This is way too big of a financial commitment to enter into, without help..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    Not a week goes by without this question arising. I am a CPA. The leasing industry is based in large part on the ability to deduct a far greater amount of the monthly cash payments required to lease a car compared to the loan payments required to purchase. And the lease payments are invariably less than a principal and interest payment. Depreciation on passenger cars is severly limited, while one can deduct the % of the lease payment which relates to business use. I expend approximately 80% of my annual lease payments, while the depreciation of 80% of the cost basis of the same vehicle would hardly ever be equal to the tax deduction available through leasing. And the APR (2400x the Money Factor, approx.) imbedded in leases is usually well below conventional purchase financing. So if you use your vehicle more than 50% for business, the lease is usually more favorable. Of course, the lease drive-off is also far less than a customary down payment of at least 20% of the cost. It is a bit cumbersome to sell a leased vehicle if you have equity in the auto; I have tried that lately and several potential buyers backed off. If you can borrow money at 1% or less on a promo, and your car is not used for business, the economics may justify a purchase.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Since this comment is much more about the question of buying v. leasing and not specifically about buying/prices for a BMW 3-Series, please re-post your comment and continue in the existing discussion Leasing vs. Purchasing
  • Options
    ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
  • Options
    heg32heg32 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer in n. fla found me the exact color i want. It is a 05 330i and the only option is automatic. The MSRP is $38,145. He said they would take all the incentive off the car and offered it for $34,000. I said what about a discount from the msrp and he said to make him an offer. What would be a fair price for this car and what do you think I should offer to get to this price. thanks
  • Options
    Invoice is $34,980... Subtract $4200 for the incentive... Add about $800 for profit, and I get $31,600... which is what I would offer..

I don't think I'd go higher than $32K tops.. There won't be much demand for a no-option 330i with automatic (oh yeah, it has metallic paint also, at that price).

But, it is only worth it, if you would be happy with that car... I wouldn't take it, just because it is the cheapest 330i on the planet..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wow, that was quick. I appreciate the info. What do you mean because it is cheapest on planet. The 330i has so many standard features. Do you think for resale or what are your reasons? Also should i even give the dealer leasing dept a chance or just go to leasecompare.com?
  • Options
    Only that you won't find one with a lower MSRP..

It does have a lot of stuff standard... moreso than the 325i.. but, most 330i have the premium package, with leather, auto dimming mirrors, etc..

But, it does have power seats, moonroof and automatic.. I don't want to suggest that resale will be low..

I just like more toys... ;-)

Always buy what YOU like...

I doubt leasecompare can beat their rates.. If they do, it won't be by much, and leasecompare's acq. fees are higher.. There is an advantage to leasing through BMWFS.. They will be much more lenient at turn-in, and may incentivize you to lease another BMW..

The only thing that might keep the price a little higher on that car, is that the dealer has to trade for it... There is some expense to do a swap... but, it isn't a lot, unless they have to have the car flatbedded in..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Again, thanks for the info. What is your opinion regarding waiting for a 06 325i vs getting the 05 330i. I assume the price will be about the same if the only option on the new style 325 is automatic.
  • Options
    sorry, one more question. what is a acquisition fee is it at the front end of the lease or the back end.
  • Options
    Unless you are in NY, the acquisition fee is $625 due at lease signing.. You can also roll it into the cap cost, adding it into the monthly payment..

As far as the '06 325i? The only price I have seen in print is $31,700, and it didn't say if that included destination, or not.. Figure with an automatic, at least $33K MSRP, if not more..

That would make it at least as expensive as the unit you are considering, with less standard equipment...

If you like the 330i, and want to stay in that low $30's price range, I see no reason to wait for the new one...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator