Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    LOL Yeah...the price is a bit up there, but I guess you pay more to be unique. I'm seriously considering the Genesis grille when I start my mods, but it's a toss up between that and the Ixion grille. Decisions...decisions... :confuse:
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    I'd get the Ixion, then paint that chrome strip over it in the body color. Make that nose look lower and less squarish.

I really like that chin spoiler and the rocker-panel fairings, too. Those are also Ixion, right?
    Yeah...I'm definitely going with the body kit.
  • ironsapperironsapper Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Azera Limited and the problem is with the Hood release inside on the drivers side. The cable will not unlock when I pull on it, and it does not have any torch on it when I pull. Because when you pull the release handle it suppose to be a little hard and then you here the Hood unlock itself. Which is really not happen at this time. I would like to know is there any other way to unlock the Hood when the release latch is not working. Thanks for your time.

Cedric
    Ironsapper...I too had this very same problem. I found that using a pair of channel lock pliers attached to the end of the cable found under the dash helps you quite nicely. That is if the cable is still connected to the release mechanism.

The first time the issue came up, it was winter time and I thought the cable just got brittle and snapped. I took it in to get fixed and they must've done it wrong because it was harder to open the hood. Well, after a few months, I tried opening the hood and something popped. The release lever just flopped loosely and upon inspection, the metal that surrounds the barrel at the end of the cable had broken. To open the hood, I grasped the end of the cable with a pair of pliers and pulled and the hood would open.

Anyway, getting it fixed the 2nd time (at a different dealership) proved to be the answer. Not only did they fix it, the hood seemed to release much easier like it did when the car was new.

Good luck!

Mike
  • ironsapperironsapper Member Posts: 2
    Hi Allmet33,

I just wanted to say thanks for you responding back to my post. I will try that and see will it open up.

Take care,

Ironsapper.
    Ironsapper...IF it doesn't work for you, then it's a possibility that your cable snapped somewhere between the hood latch and the firewall. In which case, the dealer will have to figure out how to get under the hood.

Mike
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Allmet

I'm on my 2nd inflatable lumbar support for the driver's side seat back....Have you had any problems?? Both under warranty.
    101649...sorry, can't say I've had any issues with the lumbar support as I don't use mine. Only seat issues I've had is the heating element for the driver's seat (seat back) went out and I just dropped it off this morning to get all the things taken care of that need to be addressed. The biggest annoyance I've had is the air bag light coming on. Hopefully...they'll find a solution for that issue as well.
    Yesterday I took my '06 Azera into the shop to have a few things fixed. They gave me a loaner...an '09 Sonata. I think I have finally heard the infamous suspension clunk everyone has been talking about. Funny I had to drive a Sonata to hear it. I turned the radio off and really concentrated on what I was hearing. After about 3 miles on DC streets, it really started sounding more like an issue with suspension isolation. I say this because I rolled the windows down to get a listen and you don't hear any noise eminating from the suspension, you only hear it inside the cabin. It doesn't come across as the type of sound of metal bangin agaist metal, that creates a more distinct sound that would also be heard outside the car. I think, in all honesty, that it's more about sound feedback travelling through the suspension components to the chassis of the car, which in turn is heard in the cabin. It's not as far fetched as you would think. The question then would be...could new, better quailty bushings take care of this issue? What are some things that could help eliminate suspension feedback through the chassis so that it's not heard in the cabin?
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Questions that pop into my mind:

1) Is this a symptom not of the suspension components, but of an insufficiently stiff body structure allowing reverberations where the components join it?

2) If the bushings are at fault, is it because they're so excessively soft that they allow slack or bottoming? Would stiffer urethane bushings fix it? It's interesting to note that Hyundai's press release on its effort to fix this in '08 said they actually went to softer bushings than previously. This would seem to indicate that Hyundai doesn't agree.
    Those are good questions.

Would a stiffer bushing actually be the answer? I would think stiffer would allow more vibration through to surrounding surfaces, whereas a softer one would absorb more. I would think it was the case since the clunk doesn't seem to be an issue with the '08 Azeras.

IF...the bushings were the culprit, I would think it would be easy to retro-fit all '06-07 Azeras with the same bushings used in the '08 models.

Again, please don't take my posting as saying the suspension isn't at fault here, but the experience I have had with the '09 Sonata I'm driving right now really gave me some time to hear it and think of other possibilities of what could be the problem.

On another note, now I'm worried that I could possibly hear the clunking noise as I was informed that they are replacing the strut/shock that was causing the noise. I really, really hope they're replacing it with the same model and that everything goes back to how it was before the creaking noise started. We shall see!!!
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    allmet, can you tell me how the 'clunk' sounds?

I bought my 07 Azzy in Nov 07. I was aware of the noise issue before I bought it. I haven't heard any noises in my car in about 18k miles. I drive over our wretched potholed roads here in Houston. Other than tire noise, I haven't heard anything. I am very very sensitive to noise & if it was a prominent noise, I would have noticed it.

Could someone explain to me how it sounds? Sometimes when I drive over rough roads, I turn off the radio just to hear any noises coming from the suspension & haven't found any.
    Wobbly_ears...

The clunk I'm hearing in the Sonata sounds like (as one poster put it) a few golf balls in a big box. It doesn't have a metal on metal sound at all, it's more of a muted thud and it just seems to come from underneath the car. With the windows rolled down, you hear nothing at all outside the car other than the tires across the pavement. Inside the car, whenever you traverse a patch of uneven pavement, you hear the "clunk" and it seems to be in concert with how the car travels over the uneven road.

There's another issue, it's not heard in all the vehicles. I own an '06 Azera and I haven't heard the noise I hear in the '09 Sonata or any other clunk noise described by anyone else that seems to have the issue. Up until my recent creaking noise, my suspension has been fine.

Honestly, if you've driven over rough roads and you don't hear any sounds that alert you or make you feel uneasy about your car...I wouldn't even worry about it. You just happen to be one of the lucky ones (as the ones with the problem would put it).
    Allmet

What do you think about the cpu used in the genesis 3.8 to install in the Azera 3.8 to up the hp??? Don't know enough about the genesis engine internals as to capability and those of the azera to handle the genesis cpu....your thoughts..

You have presented a very, very interesting idea. I guess you would need to do a little research to find out exactly what the differences are between the 3.8's found in the Azera and the Genesis. If all it takes is a CPU change to benefit from the added horsepower and keep the fuel ecomony the same...that would be a major boost.
  • wardswards Member Posts: 17
    Purchased new 2006 Azera new Feb 2006 build date Oct 2005. Since day one had a rumbling noise as if card board boxes in trunk only at slow speed over uneven surface.Lately a loud clunk started to happen when going over sunken manhole covers or potholes.
    Problem found to be dust covers on the shocks that are free floating thus causing the rumbling and clunk.
    Dust covers secured by screwing to frame and they still do the job as intended.
    Car now quieter than when delivered.
    Dealer has sent a notice to Hyundai Canada of the fix.
    Allmet

What did you drop on the A6 you just bought??? $24-$27large??
    101649...nah...not even. We picked it up for $13,100...it's an '04.
    good shape & low miles?
    63K miles and it looks like it was hardly driven except for the scuffed rims (curb parking scars). Other than that, the only thing that needed to be done was a set of rear brake pads.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    Wards, could you explain a bit more about exactly how the covers on the shocks were secured to the frame? In my shop manual, it looks like the covers are flexible (neoprene?) and located inside the coil spring.
    I would sure like to try your "fix" on my ' :confuse: 06 Azera.
  • wardswards Member Posts: 17
    Grayfox, Contacted the Service Mgr and he stated the rear dust covers were secured to the frame by using screws to stop them from free floating and causing a noise. Hope this helps. Wards.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    Wards, thanks for the fast reply but I think my noise problem is up in the front suspension. Next time I am under the car, I will see if any of the covers are loose and possible contributing factors.
  • druepdruep Member Posts: 3
    Well, I bought a 2006 Azzy a couple weeks ago (low mileage - 25k) and not 1000 miles into ownership I've got your creaking in the front right suspension. I haven't experienced the "clunk" and don't know if the shocks on this vehicle have ever been serviced but will try to find out when I bring it in for maintenance. I'll let you know what comes of it and if they end up replacing a strut like you had done. My worry is that since I did not have the clunk, I'll get it on the new shock. After a couple hundred mile road-trip, I would describe the ride as somewhat wallowy at highway speeds, though, and will mention my neck-strain to the tech as well.

I'd researched the car pretty well and was not suprised to have this problem, the hairline crack forming over the passenger airbag, or any of the other quirks I'm experiencing. The two that I was not prepared for, though were the creak and the lumbar adjustment not working. The lumbar makes a noise when trying to retract, but nothing seems to happen when I try to increase support. I'll try to tinker and determine if it's a switch issue before having it serviced.

Thanks for all the good info... overall I'm a happy Azzy owner so far, but will make the final determination when I found out how the local dealerships handle the issues.
    air pump motor gear is broken or worn out..I'm on my 2nd replacement
    Druep...sorry to hear about the issues that have arisen. My creaking noise was not taken care of with the replacement strut. I took it back and they determined it to be an upper control arm bushing. I'll be dropping it off on Monday to get it fixed (again) and I'll let you know if that takes care of the problem.

The hairline crack on your dash, that should be taken care of by the dealer with no problem. It's a documented issue with the Azera and your car is still under the factory warranty.
    Yes, I realize the warranty issue with the dash but was going to put that off for a year if possible so that the entire dash is not ripped apart so quick into my ownership. I haven't made it in for the creaking noise yet and it worsened for a few days but is not occurring as often now and goes away once I get up to a decent speed. I would not have considered the bushing, though, as I can easily reproduce the sound by putting my weight on the front-right fender.

I realize this is a bit off-topic for this thread but didn't see another to put it in and figured I had at least one person paying attention in this thread: Another issue I'm noticing is fading and cracking along the rain gutter strip/molding. I've got the silver paint on an 06. Is this a known issue? I've searched the forums and the google-net and not come up with much.
    rain gutter molding is subjected to uv, rain, etc...only solution is to use something like Back to Black or some other chemical to help restore the finish and color..same with trim around the windshield wipers...60/50 warranty probably has expired and they'll consider it cosmetic
    Okay, I got my car back yesterday. I had taken it in and they intially replaced the right front strut, which didn't take care of the creaking noise. The service director rode with me and said it was the upper control arm bushing that was the culprit. So...I returned the car to them and they replaced the entire upper control arm...problem solved.
    Okay, I have a question. When you pull up to a gas station and you see the sticker on the pump that says "Gas may contain up to 10% ethanol." Would that be true for all grades of gas they sell? I ask this question because gas with ethanol is killing my fuel economy. Before the big ethanol push, I was seeing 17-18 mpg in the city, now...it's more like 13-14 mpg.
    I had asked the same question to a friend who works in the oil field.

The 10% is the max Ethanol in the worst case scenario, the actual blend would differ from refiner to refiner, day it was blended & price of Ethanol that day. Suffice to say that if you are close to Corn country, your Ethanol concentration would be close to the max 10%. If you are close to the refineries & gulf, your blend tends to have lower Ethanol. Unfortunately there's no way of telling.

Ethanol mandate is an immoral & harmful scam pulled on America by these corn states. To appease to the Corn mafia, our Engines are being harmed & environment harmed.
    So...would that be across all grades of fuel for a given brand, or just the 87 octane fuels?

Honestly, I think our pockets and our engines are suffering more than the environment. It is claimed that ethanol is supposed to make the fuel burn off more completely, thus creating less harmful emission from the tail pipe. Like you, I believe it is a huge scam.

I'm led to believe with the decline of my fuel economy, that the stations here in the DC metro area are putting the full 10% in their fuels and it reeks!!! :sick:
    Unfortunately, it is across all fuel grades. Unless your pump says that it doesn't contain any Ethanol, you can rest assured that Ethanol in blended.

Ethanol is not clean. The energy taken to create Ethanol would offset many times the (supposedly) clean burning of Ethanol.

If you look at some of Hyundai's service bulletins, there's one which says that if the Ethanol blend is more than 10%, the warranty is void. (Search in hmaservice.com in the Fuel section)

And now the mafia wants to mandate 15-20%!!

Are Americans really that stupid that they can't see a scam when they see one?? (Sorry, I'm very angry about Ethanol as I consider it to be immoral)
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    Wobbly Ears you are correct concerning the ethanol mandates. The guaranteed market created by the government has mainly served to favor corn farmers and hedge fund grain traders who have decimated many sectors of the meat and agriculture industries with massively increased raw material costs. More pollution from the fertilizer runoff from additional corn farms and high tariffs on imported Brazilian ethanol in an effort to suppress competition in this market further illustrate our governments hypocritical policies regarding the environment and free trade.
    I don't consider it purely cosmetic as it's not just fading but cracking along it's whole length, which could expose metal. Unfortunately, paint seems to be a 3/36 warranty and I'm a couple months overdue, though under mileage. I'll mention it anyway when I bring it in for the creaky suspension and broken lumbar support, but I doubt I'll get anywhere.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    The only good thing about the ethanol scam is that it's raised the price of corn to the point that more and more food manufacturing is dropping the increasingly-expensive high fructose corn syrup and is returning to real sugar or sucrose...
    I'm on my 3rd lumbar support ...bad gears and motor..good luck
    Thank you for the information...even though it's quite disturbing!!!

On a good note, I found a local BP station that doesn't have any "ethanol" stickers on their pumps. So, I filled up and I have noticed a bump up in my fuel economy.

10% ethanol murders fuel economy, 15-20% would simply obliterate it.
    Allmet

I fond some led strip lights that would make great halo lights for the Azera..They're 14 inches long and are flexible ....The only problem I have is that I can't get inside the headlight assembly...The light strips are flexible with a peel off backing....they come in red,blue and white ....I don't really want to install them on the outside of the headlight assembly...I'll let you know if I figure anything out...BTW, did you get everything taken care of on your '06 @ the dealer??? the forum has been quite lately...

I know about those LED strips you are talking about, only problem is...you will need more than the adhesive backing to keep them in place. If you want something that will be more durable and stay in place...KAI has something that works perfectly...

Azera Headlight LED Module

As far as getting inside the headlight housing, you have to take the whole housing out and bake it in an oven at like 250 degrees for a few minutes to soften the adhesive sealant. Here's a link to a tutorial that will show you exactly what to do:

Baking Headlight Open Tutorial
    Allmet

Thanks, but no thanks.......that's too much work I don't want to screw up the housing.....
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    The 10% is a maximum level and it is for all gasolines sold by that dealer.
    Proximity to corn country no longer determines the amount of ethanol. I live in S.C. and a railroad and private oil company have formed a partnership to bring in up to 200 railroad tank cars of ethanol each week. It comes from Iowa right now. They are parked next to a major tank farm for several gas companies. The ethanol is added to the tank trucks as they leave to reach the "up to 10%" level.
    Plans are to build holding tanks for ethanol and to "import" more.
    I'm sure other locations in the nation have similar facilities. In fact, I believe this particular oil company was choosing between SC and New England when the railroad stepped forward to become a partner.
    Google Greenville and Western Railroad or Lincoln Oil in Greenville SC for more information, but it is from their biased viewpoint.
    Bob, you are right about 10% being added everywhere. But few years ago when the logistics for Ethanol manufacturing & transportation were not in place, the proximity determined the Ethanol blend. These days, however, it is a fact that Ethanol is being added throughout the country because of the mandate.

And now the Ethanol mafia is plotting to raise the limit to 15 to 20%. And as usual, the public would be fleeced for the benefit of the few well-heeled mafia corporations.

Your congress & govt folks. The best form of government that money can buy. Dems or Repubs, they're all the same.
    Only way you could mess it up is if you turned the oven on too high when baking it open, but I understand. Good luck with coming up with an alternative.
    allmet
    can i splice into the parking light harness and use a jumper to hook up the driving lights so they will be on with the parking lights....as you know, they only come on with the headlights
    i guess if i did, i would have to keep the driving light switch in the off mode to keep from sending too much current to the bulbs when the headlights are on...your thoughts....
    101649....to be honest, I do believe that would work and like you said, just leave the fog light switch in the off position. Just be careful that you tap into the correct wire so your fog lights don't blink when you use your turn signals.
    I may give it a try....thanks...did you get all the items on your laundry list repaired @ the daler on you Azzy?
    Let me know how it turns out. As far as everything getting fixed, the only thing I'm waiting on is the new seat back. From what they have told me, the heating element isn't something that can be replaced, they have to replace the entire seat back. There's been some sort of snafu with the warehouse over in Korea...so I sit and wait. The only reason I'm being patient with it is because we are rolling into summer and there will hardly be a need for heated seats.
  • eod132eod132 Member Posts: 13
    I have just read your post regarding the removal of badges and there was a reference to replacing the grill on the Azera. Would you please send me the link to how to remove and replace the grill or advise me on what to do. I have just ordered a 2009 Azera (Grandeur in Australia) and intend replacing the grill. Many thanks Mike