Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    It's not just Hyundai, it seems to be pretty much all manufacturers as far as I can tell. They act like it's a scaled graded system to the consumer, but for the salesperson it is pass-fail. And anything less than perfect is fail.

Personally, I think this is horrible because of the deception to the buyer in asking for scaled scores when only two choices count - excellent and anything else.

But it is what it is. And that explains why sales people go to such lengths to request "excellents" across the board. Anything less hurts them. And I don't blame them, they did not design the system.
  • sundevilssundevils Posts: 100
    I registered my Azera today on hyundaiusa.com. In the dealer section it says, "Smart Driver coupon available from your selling dealer only." What is this?
  • richwoodsrichwoods Posts: 53
    Noise level is VERY quiet - even with the sunroof open is is much quieter than you would expect.

Car is very smooth riding.

Had mine since Dec 17, 2005. :blush:
    Well everyone who bought an Azera is NOT going to tell you they hate thecar.

However, I am very happy with mine except for the gas mileage. 15-16 mph - I have the AC on all the time - hit 106 here in Phoenix today. :confuse:
  • frazeefrazee Posts: 90
    Delivered on 1/31, Limited Ultimate. Sheet on refrigerator to record all "defects" and "tweaks" and "problems" to dealer at first oil change. Sheet is BLANK. Truly amazing.

Consumer Reports, in their July issue "coming soon" section indicates they will have a review of "sedans" and lists a rather unique competitive set of Lucerne, Cadillac DTS, Accord, Azera and Camry. If they do them as a group, it is a rather eclectic selection to "compare."?
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Do you have more than 5K miles on the car? Let us know if the gas mileage gets better with time. With 30% or less in town, mainly highway, what would you say you are getting? Hopefully around 24MPG. Gas is still expensive; at least in CA. Paying $3.39 or more per gallon for reg.
    -Loren
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    Rich, what do you get if you drive only on the highway? Ever use a whole tank on the freeway yet? If so, what speeds and conditions and MPG?
  • Any of you Azera owners know whether the car has an on-board computer controlling directional stability and if so, can it be manually turned off by the driver?
  • ushuaiaushuaia Posts: 10
    thank you richwoods, i bought the azera already. the first impression is .. amazing!!! i spent the past 3 days testing and searcing for something bad in it but haven't found any yet.
    I don't want to say it's mecedes-benz or a bmw where everything is pushed to the ultimate limit but it's way better than accord, camry and ultima .. it's even better than avalon (i need to wait for next year to judge on the materials)
    ah ... i almost forgot, one thing that bothered me the most .. it's the overspeed alarm beep that starts hypnotizing me whenever i exceed 75mph .. :mad:

is there anybody who can help shutting off this alarm without effecting the other alarms (handbreak, fuel, door, etc.)
  • ratledgeratledge Charleston county, South CarolinaPosts: 233
    t's not just Hyundai, it seems to be pretty much all manufacturers as far as I can tell. They act like it's a scaled graded system to the consumer, but for the salesperson it is pass-fail. And anything less than perfect is fail.

Personally, I think this is horrible because of the deception to the buyer in asking for scaled scores when only two choices count - excellent and anything else.

But it is what it is. And that explains why sales people go to such lengths to request "excellents" across the board. Anything less hurts them. And I don't blame them, they did not design the system.

Pat - you are right on that one! Anything less than perfect means something is wrong to any "Far Eastern" maker - same for Infiniti, same for Lexus: they will fall all over themselves to get you to fill out the form all with "Excellent" in every blank, otherwise they catch %^$# from their distributor and/or the manufacturer! ;)
    Just hit 5000 - about 5250 now.

I did get 24.6 on a long highway drive.

Gas is STILL expensive? $2.99-$3.09 here in Phoenix.

Let's face it - we're all suckers - the gas price will never go below $2.50 - we've show we will pay the cost no matter what.

I've cut back a lot on my driving. :cry:
    I did make a trip to Karchner caverns in Benson, AZ - put about 400 miles of hiway driving - mostly did 75 mph - speed limit - might have went 80 at times.

Pretty much soft asphalt freeway - got 24.6 mpg - of course the ac is always on. :D
    TOT again, but we're paying $2.49 at most places here in South Carolina right now - some as low as $2.35... :surprise:
  • jnd17jnd17 Posts: 62
    Check this guy out with his Hyundai Sonata. JoeD

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=66898
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,250
    WOW 147? I didn't know a Sonata could go that fast.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    I thought stock tires always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

Another example of why not to buy a used rental car?

Maybe Dirty Mary will be seen with him next time.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,933
    Unlikely that it can. According to C/D, the top speed (drag limited) of the Sonata LX is 137. Hard to believe a rental Sonata could top that by 10 mph. I think it's more likely the radar is inaccurate.
    Ah, Big Brother is watching you! 1984 is here, with a camera to watch your every move!

At that speed, I would imagine the Sonata would have disintegrated in a wreck. Hitting another car, also fatal.
    What was he thinking. On a race track, with a full cage and proper tires, at least there would be some margin of safety.
    Stock car, with proper tires and no cage, perhaps a tilt over a hundred out in a far away part of the desert would be OK. My luck a gust of wind, or an animal crossing the road would total me out. :surprise:
    Well, when I think of it, 147 has to be much higher than the speed limit of the Sonata. That seems pretty high. Usually something like 110 or 120?
    I thought stock tires always have a speed rating higher than the car's top speed.

IIRC most passenger tires are rates at either 105, 112 or 118 MPH. Many cars with V-6's or 8's can exceed these speeds. You can even get tires rated as low as 81 MPH.

Not sure but I would suspect that the newer V6's can well exceed 120, maybe not 147 but more than 120.

• bsparks294bsparks294 Posts: 23
    Maybe that is just the way the radar is calibrated. No wonder everyone is going 45mph in a 35mph. Just kidding.
  • jim101jim101 Posts: 252
    Howdie do,

My MAC won't open the hmaservice tabs to the following,

Azera recall?????

1. wide open throttle, no idea of what this means, but it doesn't sound good.

2. pass air bag dashboard light delay at start with no passenger... problem is air bag may not work if there is this delay

Has anyone heard about this???

If so please put some feedback on this forum's pages.

Thank you and good day
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    Unlikely that it can. According to C/D, the top speed (drag limited) of the Sonata LX is 137. Hard to believe a rental Sonata could top that by 10 mph. I think it's more likely the radar is inaccurate.

C/D does a two way test average on flat terrain to come up with the top speed to counter any effects of wind. This guy may have been going down a slight decline with a good tailwind.
    137 is what one site has it listed as. Guess they set the limiter up higher. Or is that where the car hits the wall for speed. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't think this car was designed to travel at Autobahn speeds, though I may be wrong. Maybe you can keep up with the Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and BMWs. I would shy away of such speeds.
    -Loren
    There was the guy doing 147 MPG in Arizona :surprise:

:D Loren
  • azera25azera25 Posts: 45
    Apparently won best Luxury vehicle over the Avalon and Lucerne. Nice.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub.php?menu=3&key=2006060307
    Yes, I posted a note detailing both new Tech Bulletins that involve the '06 Azera about a week ago.

Basically: certain models (determined by VIN) have a problem with ragged shift from 1st to 2nd during WOT (Wide Open Throttle) conditions, meaning you are sitting on the gas peddle. Certain models (constrained by date manufactured) have a problem with the passenger-side airbag sensor, but as I read it the problem was backwards to what you report: it doesn't come on when it should, meaning the only danger is that it might deploy during a head-on wreck if it didn't need to do so. :sick:

UPDATE: I looked back, message 2393 posted on the 29th... :shades:
    As someone else stated there could be a downhill slope at that point, wouldn't surprise me that they would set up a speed camera where cars would normally pick up a little speed. Also I wonder how they came up with that 137 top speed (most sites that I have found have it slightly less). The radar won't be that inaccurate.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,933
    As mentioned above, C/D has a methodology for testing top speed. I'll bet it doesn't involve a radar gun, but is instrumented.