Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• I hate just having 2 bolts hold the license plate in. Even with the sticky foam blocks, there is still too much vibration when closing the trunk. Has anybody tried to drill 2 bottom holes?
  • ushuaiaushuaia Posts: 10
    my god ... the Amanti is so ugly, very cheap interior and very marginal performance... it was out of the competition since day one.

anyway, since you have the Azera maybe you can answer the 2 points in my post

thanks
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    You can save about 7 or 8 thousand dollars at purchase time if you opt for a new Amanti instead of Azera. Huge discounts on the Amanti are common right now.
    They are not equals, but given your requirements, ushuala, the Amanti may be perfect for you.
    Use a little rubber cement to glue everything together and to the trunklid too.
  • jim101jim101 Posts: 252
    Hello,
    I see you tested/drove some interesting vehicles.

Take the Sonata LX for a drive, it is setup to be a little sportier with suspension. A good friend of mine bought one last Oct. drives about the same as you per day and absolutely loves the vehicle. If you check, compare the dimensions, etc. they are almost the same.

The Azera is just more comfortable and is a cruiser. At 85 mph you'll not notice or feel the speed. The vehicle is comfortable, quiet, handles well and a pleasure to drive.
  • jnd17jnd17 Posts: 62
    I agree, I have purchased thick, round felt stick on pads and stuck them on the trunk behind the license plate and this has softened the vibration. You can pick them up at your local Ace or True Value Hardware Store. They worked for me. JoeD
    thank you jim101 for this feedback ... the Azera beats the Sonata in the following areas
    1- More comfortable suspension (based on many feedbacks including yours)
    2- More luxurious cabin
    3- Good material .. I don’t mean like German high-end or Lexus but better than Sonata, Avalon, Accord and Charger where inexpensive plastic materials are widely used (in the cabin)
    4- It has more options than the high-end Sonata .. this is important to keep me awake all the way to work and back home

I'm waiting for more feedbacks to support all the above conclusions
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,254
    Granted but since the base Azera with no options is selling for at least 3 grand more than a fully loaded top trim Sonata. So you have to ask is what the Azera has over the Sonata worth paying at least 15% more?

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

for 15% more you get dual-zone climate control, infinity sound system with 8+ speakers, memory seats, 4 additional airbags, elec. adjustable steering wheel with memory, xenon light, memory seats, advanced on-board computer, 17" alloy, elec. foldable rear curtain, foldable mirrors, rain sensor ...
    ...and don't forget the rear seat air conditioner outlets!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,254
    for 15% more you get dual-zone climate control,

Yet it all goes into the same cabin and mixes together so it is pretty much ends up at the same temperature.

infinity sound system with 8+ speakers,

Wow that would fit my two ears. ;)

rain sensor

You mean you can't tell if its raining outside? :P

I look at a lot of that stuff as just more stuff to go wrong. :sick:

But wait, IIRC some of those are only options and/or only on the limited which increases the price by more than 15%, now your talking like 30-50% more.

The 15% is the most expensive Sonata against the least expensive Azera. If you go down a trim with the Sonata and get the most expensive Azera then the Azera gets to me more than 50% more than the Sonata.

I am not saying get the Sonata over the Azera, just that you have to weight the extra cost against the extra stuff you get. To some it will be worth it to others it won't. You are going to pay at a minimum 3 grand more, so what can you do with an extra $3,000? A nice cruise, exotic vacation, a deck behind the house, finish your basement?

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ratledgeratledge Charleston county, South CarolinaPosts: 233
    xenon lights

Sorry - halogen lights. All european Azeras have HID lights, but not available in 2006 model American model... :(
    ...or a nice Sony XBR 50" HD TV! :shades:

Yeah - sorry, Pat - I know, TOT... :sick:
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,327
    Ushuaia, it appears that you have already made up your mind and you are simply looking for validation. I am surprised you did not consider the Lucerne as part of the mix.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Posts: 122
    Does anyone know if DRL are on european or asian models of the Azera? I'm hoping it is and the installation of a simple relay will allow DRL on my U.S. Azera. I like the visibility of DRL but burning out expensive headlamp bulbs at full power when they're not needed is a drag. Any information out there?
    hmmm... You know, if they are sold in Canada - they have to have them, so it seems like there would be some sort of way to make them work! ;)
  • johnbaxter1johnbaxter1 Posts: 12
    I travel up and down I.95 between Washington and the
    metropolitan Ny-NJ areas,including stopovers at shopping
    malls and interstate service stops.
    To date,I have yet to see a 2006 Azera.What I do observe
    is a good mix of 2006 Sonatas?
    Has Hyandai convinced potential Azera buyers that the
    model is that more of a bargain than the loaded Sonata?
    As of May 30 sales figures,the jury is out as to whether
    the Azera has positioned itself into an upscale niche
    beyond the 2006 Sonata!
  • enkaenka Posts: 35
    Why are you comparing azera and sonata. Sonata is made for midsize class azera is made for upscale class its more luxuruies with different features than sonata. I think you should compare it with avalon or maxima.
  • jnd17jnd17 Posts: 62
    What I notice is that Hyundai seems to have a greater advertising campaign for the Sonata and the dealers that I checked out have very little inventory on the Azera. There are No Black Azera's to be had and mine has been on order now going on 14 weeks. I think you are going to see a much bigger advertising campaign for the 07's and dealers will have a much larger inventory. JoeD
    I agree, people !!! I don't want to compare Azera to Sonata. and i don't give a da.. shi.. whether Azera is selling well or no ... i just need to know two things from anyone who have the Azera: 1- how's the noise level inside the cabin when driving over 85mph 2- how's the suspension system in term of comfort ...

anybody can give me his real-life feedback
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please be careful not to use language - implied or outright - that would cause a post to be deleted. I really hate it when that happens. :sick:
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Posts: 122
    Cabin noise is less then a 2004 Lexus ES300 I drove last year @80+mph and the ride is as good too if not better. Handling predictable and comfortable.
    Any Canadian owners out there who can turn me on to a dealer??? I'd really like to do DRL.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    I can see someone jumping from the Sonata (loaded) to the Azera. If you are not interested in all the that fancy stuff and just want a nice V6, then the Sonata at the current sale price of $19,500 makes sense to me. I don't know if a third more for the Azera is worth it of not. Depends on needs of the individual, or the desires. I may be perfectly happy with the lesser of the two. If I am paying $30K say, there are cars like the CTS and Maxima I would also test, and would be pretty stiff competition. The Sonata is the easy knock-out in its class based on value of a V6 for less than the price of the i4 Accord and Camry. That said, not a bad idea to drive like priced or nearly like priced Japan makes too. All things considered the Azera as a buy ONLY based on value, would have to take in count a possible lower resale value. To balance to the favor for Hyundai, you have a longer warranty.

The local dealership has several Azeras, and one or two Sonatas. They seem to sell the Sonatas as they come in.
    If I got an Azera, I would go for the base one, and at close-out time, looking for a couple to three thousand off.
    -Loren
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Posts: 45
    Over 85+, well - not admitting anything - but in the 80+ MPH region it is very quiet on the highway. Smooth roads and the thing is very comfortable - but it tends to jiggle and wiggle a bit over the sharp small bumps. That probably can be cured with monotube gas shocks and bigger sway bars (good luck finding sway bars but the shocks may be avaialble).

My take is they could use a little more jounce damping.
  • metafizikmetafizik Posts: 6
    "there is data which now shows GM models right there near the top for reliability"

And the US govt. says the war in Iraq is going well. No seriously I am quite sure that GM being the behemoth it is has sponsored a number of studies geared to portray that as "truth". Heck even Warren Buffet bought a caddy recently. Does that mean they are reliable or does he have a vested interest? Don't lose sight of the fact that he only commutes 5mi/day.
  • jim101jim101 Posts: 252
    Hello,

Q1. Noise level in cabin over 85 :confuse:
    R1. Very quiet, you can talk to a passenger using your normal voice. The vehicle is well insulated all around. :shades:

Q2. How's the suspension system in terms of comfort :confuse:
    R2. To me the suspension works better at speed then when going slow :shades:

ushuaia, you have done your homework and know your vehicles, good job ;)

I would tell/ask the dealer to let you drive one for an hour and take it out on the highway and put the it through your requirement parameters. If it meets them, your good to go.
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 140
    I was looking at all of these as well as the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Ended up getting a Lincoln Zephyr - only options missing are sunroof and NAV - for less than $27K. Amazingly quiet at high speed and a very nice suspension. Yes I know it's a glorified Fusion/Milan...
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Actually the data indicates good reliability in most of the GM cars of which the data was taken. The problem is some of the most reliable ones are no longer in the line up. The upside is that the new cars are similar, as in engines and chassis, so it could be that those cars too will be reliable. Now the bad news, as the cars age, the GM and Fords do not fair as well as the Japan makes in year for through eight. The Consumer Report magazine has a graph of this. Now once again the good news, as current models score higher in the ratings from GM, it is hopeful that in the later years they will do better. My best guess is that while not as good as the Japan makes, they will close the gap a tad. And more good news, the GM and Ford parts are cheaper. Yeah, may have to repair more often. All in all, GM has some more basic models, like the Monte or Impala with good ol' OHV engines which produce adequate HP and gas mileage.

So what about Hyundai? They have new engines and cars, current good ratings on reliability and a dicey past.
    They are willing to back the cars for the long warranty, and change. Both are good signs. They address issues in their cars, are not afraid to build new cars and engines, and back them with warranties. Will the Hyundai be as trouble free as a Japan make in years four through eight? No one really knows. Parts to repair the Hyundai seem reasonable enough.

Would be very interesting to have a professional take apart an Azera, Mercedes cheapest car, a Lucerne, and both the Accord and Camry/Avalon and analyze the true quality of the parts and structure. What truly makes different cars tick?

Content. The leader in content has been Hyundai for some years now. Safety and comfort, as well as performance on the cheap. Seems like a great value. The early years just did not go well however for Hyundai and Kia. You tell people you are even looking at a Korean car, and they tend to think you are crazy. But then again, some say the same about looking at GM cars. I actually think both brands have come a long ways to being a better car. Hyundai are fresh newer cars of better quality and GM are better older cars, with perhaps some charm of their own as well. Azera and Sonata I am sure have all the car manufacturers watching closely.
    -Loren
  • chilliwackchilliwack Posts: 189
    The notes regarding cabin noise and suspension have been right on the mark. At first, I was a bit reluctant to buy a Korean car, but after looking at EVERYTHING, I kept coming back to the Azera. I think it is very unique looking and performs very well. People are always impressed when they see it. If Hyundai takes notes from the posts on this forum, the 2007 model should be fine indeed. I have only seen one besides mine on the road. Also, it looks more refined than a Sonata in my view. The interior is far better as well. Glad I didn't get the Charger!
    wow .. everybody's saying the same. thanks for the feedback