Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Hey everyone,

I have had my strut bar from Sharkracing.com installed in my SE for a couple of days, and it has made a major improvement. The handling and turning are much more secure, especially at the car's limits, and I know if you put it on a slalom before and after the bar there would be a significant improvement. Aside from that, the bar has really tightened up the feel of the SE during normal driving and while going over road imperfections - it is much more secure and refined and closer to the Limited's ride when not being pushed now.

Installation was as simple as unscrewing 6 nuts with a ratchet, fitting the bar onto the bolts, and replacing the nuts. Super easy even if you are not mechanically inclined, and for $92 (including shipping) it is a very worthwhile improvement on this car. Here is the one I ordered, shipped right for Korea and made specifically for the 2011 Sonata.

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=strutbar-son_- _3&cate=012104000
  • Options
    gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Very sorry to hear about Pat, even though I had to get spanked a few times. I guess I deserved it as I don't have very much patience for some folks.

My condolences go to her family and her friends at Edmonds.

I lost a sister at 47 and last month my sister-in-law at age 50 to a brain aneurysm. Was very shocking. And goes to show that we should enjoy every day, appreciate life and our loved ones and not take tomorrow for granted.
  • Options
    moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I hope this worked trying to post a pic. I am not real good with a computer.

[URL=http://img37.imageshack.us/i/1000034j.jpg/][IMG]http://img37.imageshack.us/- img37/6677/1000034j.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]
  • Options
    gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Sounds like Motor Week liked the new Sonata.
    I'll check it out next Sat.

I liked their mention about the auto transmission not hunting gears.
    "We wrung out a new Sonata on the mountain roads above La Jolla, California. It pleased us with firm, hunt-less gear changes. "

I won't buy a car with a stupid auto trans that hunts gears when on a 6 mile grade on a hywy and it shifts up and down with no idea about the load or gear it should be in.
    That's why I bought a manual last time as it seems like most car makers still make dumb transmissions including the Toyota Camry from what I read in the consumer reviews.

Who knows when I'm ready to buy in 2014 the VW tdi and Prius and elect cars might be looking very good.,,lol
    But I can't go to an elect car yet as I drive to Houston and NY once a yr.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    For some reason the links didn't seem to work, can you just post the direct link?
  • Options
    swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    So the new strut bar makes bumps less jarring in the SE? I wouldn't have expected that but then I don't know a whole lot about cars other than how to drive them lol

My biggest gripe when test driving the SE was how harsh it was when hitting bumps in the road. I was going to see if I could find a dealer that would switch the low profile 18in tires to regular 17in tires found in the limited. Maybe diff tires and the strut bar will be enough of an improvement for me..
  • Options
    Ref #2709

I don't know how to do that.
  • Options
    jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I think there was something wrong with the way the link got posted, but I can copy the link from the "http" part and see the image. Let us know when you get the kit installed. Also what color finish did you get?
  • Options
    rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I am having the same problem. Have had my Limited a while and it seems to be happening more frequently. I have to go to the dealer service dept next so I will check on it and report back.
  • Options
    rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    The dash and center console on my Limited 'creak.' This varies in intensity and can be pretty annoying. I had the same problem on a 2007 Camry, and it took Toyota about 6 months to rectify it. Are others having this problem?
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2010
    I went to a dealer near me and for the first time I spoted a beautiful Venetion Red Sonata SE,when I looked inside it had Wood type Accents on all doors looking like the Limited trim.I couldn't belive my eyes, it was beautiful.I really wasn't even thinking of the Red,I was looking at pictures of the Radiant Silver,Black,Indigo Blue Pacific Blue,but the red blew me away in person.I also liked the White but forget it,it's to hard to get..
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone know about this dealer?most of the reviews are not good,I'm in the mist of buying a car there,a beautiful Sonata 2011?
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Just got back from driving from the DFW area in Texas to Sedona, AZ and back. Got 32 mph on first tank full going into a head wind on the way out and up to 40 mph with a tail wind coming back, The car did great - comfortable, large trunk, good road manners & nice sound system. A few minor gripes were: 1) auto trans would shift up and down going up long hills on interstate - a shift to 5th gear solved problem; 2) the NAV recommended routes were kind of weird - finally figured out how to change them by going from "recommended" to "shortest"; 3) XM data did not provide weather info - had to call to activate although other features worked.

Overall very happy with the car. Everyone that I talked to had very nice things to say about it. Many had read the reviews
  • Options
    mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    Just about to turn 1000 miles tonight at work, and getting 28mpg in mixed driving. I can't say for sure the mix, but expressway and around town, no really long trips at once yet. This represents about 111 miles per tank greater than my last car, and is very welcome.

When I get a chance to take a trip, I'll post the results.
  • Options
    ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2010
    Here is moontrain's link: Woodgrain Photo
  • Options
    skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2010
    Does HD radio come on this package? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this.

If not - which 2011 Sonata model has HD radio if I add the navigation system to it?
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    ref: 2716
    Look nice but seem small. Thanks for posting - might save me $45
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    erqsum:

Thanks for the help.

Still not sure how to post more pictures of before and then after I do the new grain.
    Someone asked me what color wood grain I was putting in.It is
    It will be: B&I Dark Burlwood , code is (SDB).
  • Options
    If you add NAV you can not have the HD radio. If you read the brochure you will see that with the NAV you get the 400 watt system.
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I have the same ones. They are not that small. I don't think you would want them any bigger
  • Options
    There are better ways, but to make it simple:
    Upload your picture to where you will store it. After you're finished, go to that site and find the picture you want to post and open it. Put your mouse on that address at the top and starting at one end of the other, hold down the left mouse button and drag it across the address highlighting it.

Now right click and choose copy. Now come here and reply to your thread or start a new one. Say what you want, and the right click where you want to put the link and choose paste. That will put a clickable link in the post. Repeat for each pic
    EX:
    Here are the pics of before:
    http://www. example of link

Here are the pics after
    http://www. example of link
  • Options
    getting 28mpg in mixed driving

I want to add that the trip computer stated I averaged 30.1mpg
  • Options
    longhaullonghaul Member Posts: 17
    I'm approaching 3,000 miles and will soon be getting an oil change.

Curious what everyone is using for oil (name brands, synthetic, etc).
  • Options
    longhaullonghaul Member Posts: 17
    This may be a stupid question, but does adding an after market strut effect the Hyundai warranty?
  • Options
    swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    Hope that's not a stupid question. I asked the same thing on another sonata forum.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It shouldn't in most circumstances, unless the problem is directly related to the strut bar, which is not really a risky aftermarket part to install. And it would not be hard to remove the bar before bringing it to the dealership for service if, for example, a spring prematurely failed. The things you really have to worry about changing are parts like the exhaust, adding a supercharger or something crazy, and especially any ECU modifications to the computer to try and add HP. Things like that put extra stress on the powertrain, which can void warranty coverage on a lot of things all at once.
  • Options
    54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Check out the absolutely GLOWINGLY favorable review by Warren Brown in the Sunday, May 2 Washington Post ..
  • Options
    skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    Have had my Venetian Red/Camel leather limited w Nav for 2 weeks, (900 km). This is our 6th Hyundai in the family since many years ago - Great dependability !
    The new Sonata is terrific, expecting my mud flaps from Shark Racing first of week. Thanks for the pictures, flaps are a good size, don't want them too big on this car.
    Ride & handling is great, sound system is superb, having fun playing a digital .jpg photo slideshow on the screen using a USB flash drive.
    Getting a lot of 'lookers', the people love the shape, inside & out, especially the Venetian Red
    I agree a power passenger seat would be nice as well as a rain sensor for the wipers.
    The 198 horse power is more than sufficient for my purpose.
    I knew I had to have this car since seeing it at the Toronto Auto Show in Jan.
    Well done HYUNDAI !
  • Options
    Hi
    I looked at a Venetian Red at a dealer in queens,I wasn't going to consider that color,it's nice but I liked the Radiant siver,White Pearl,Indigo Blue.When I arrived at the Dealer,a Venetian Red Sonata SE with Nav/Sunroof was there in front of me,it blow me away it's so beautiful.This car had wood accents on all doors like the Limited.The SE dosn't come with this extra but this car did it's wild.Good luck with your car
    God Bless
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Moontrain, Thanks for all the help, I think I did it.

Almost, the second one didn't work. Put each link on a separate line, that way they should work independently.

When doing the copy portion, make sure the address bar only has the one address showing for that one picture, and then come back to your post and put each one in on a separate line. That car will look better with the added woodgrain. Should go nicely with the leather color.
  • Options
    Curious what everyone is using for oil (name brands, synthetic, etc).
    I'm no yet due for a change, but because I live in Florida, the dealer is requiring that I change on the 3750 mile schedule for severe conditions (heat) instead of the 7500 schedule others may use, so I'm not going to go synthetic and spend the extra money this soon.

On this schedule, the synthetic, to me, would be a waste as it doesn't require as often a change as regular oil, but I'll have to change anyway d/t to the warranty requirements.

As for brand, I'll just likely go with what they recommend, unless it's Quaker State because I had problems in the past using that brand (gunking).
  • Options
    jerrycupjerrycup Member Posts: 6
    I plan to use Mobil One 5W30 in mine, and will use a 7500 mile schedule even in Texas heat. Your dealership may impose a stricter requirement, but I believe the synthetic has performed well on my Prelude (144K miles). Have not done the first oil change on my GLS, my dealer gave me a coupon for this. May not use it, I have historically bought my oil at Costco, they often put a coupon on Mobil One, and at DIY prices, it's not very expensive.
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Yes, but only on certain road surfaces. It's very brief, but still annoying. Tried to locate it myself, but no luck. The dealer said to bring it in and they'll do a ride along so when it happens, I can point it out. Just haven't had the chance to do that yet. I'll let you know what they find, once I have the the time to take it in.
  • Options
    I plan to use Mobil One 5W30 in mine

Be careful about following the warranty requirements. If they require you to do the more severe schedule, they may try to void your warranty if you do the longer one.

I have been using Castrol Synthetic 5w-30 in my Solara for the last 8 years with good results, changing at 5,000 - 7000. I only have 113,500 on that car and feel the syn has done a good job.

As for the Sonata, I get the first year of oil changes for free included in my original deal, so I'll use what they do until that's over. I think the 3750 schedule is really overkill as the heat is the only "severity" here, and I rarely drive the car in the day time as I drive all night visiting hospice patients. The car will rarely be in hot traffic, YEAH!
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    I'm probably 'old school' when it comes to oil changes on a new car. I plan to do the 1st couple changes early ( around 800 miles & 1500 miles ) using a regular name brand oil. I've heard synthetics can be so slick, they can prevent a proper break in if used too soon. At approx 2500 miles, I'll change to Mobil 1, which I've used in all our cars forever. At that point, I'll follow the 7500 mile recommendation.
    Cars cost too much to get tight fisted with something like oil & filters.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    On my Sonata SE there is a very small blue light on the overhead console just to the rear of the door light switch. Anyone know why or what for.
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    I would use a high-grade synthetic (Mobil 1). We use that in our family's two Hyundais (2005 Sonata and 2005 Tucson). Pat Goss, the Motorweek master mechanic, also recommends an oil additive called MOA made by BG products. Says it eliminates most of the sludge buildup. We use that, too, and in my older 93 Nissan Maxima.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    USA Today has an under $25,000 family sedan comparo in today's edition. Guess which sedan won? ;)

USA Today Family Sedan Comparison
  • Options
    It's just a small ambient light.. a nice feature you didn't know you were getting.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited May 2010
    USA Today has an under $25,000 family sedan comparo in today's edition. Guess which sedan won?

Not only did it win, but by a comfortable margin.
  • Options
    On my Sonata SE there is a very small blue light on the overhead console just to the rear of the door light switch. Anyone know why or what for.

On my limited, it lights up the switch for the moon roof, but I don't know in an SE unless you got the moon roof package
  • Options
    REF: 2748
    The small blue ambient light is also on my GLS. My question is about night lighting on the drivers door panel. The windows switches are backlit but NOT the mirror nor the door lock controls. Is this what others have?
  • Options
    travelady605travelady605 Member Posts: 13
    Just got mine on thursday after waiting 2 months, traded 2004 LX Sonata this is my 3rd Sonata......JUST LOVE SO FAR ! Feels like a much more expensive car and so far it has exceeded my expectations ! Love the technology too...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    REF: 2725
    Did you have to pay US Customs on the purchase of mud guards from sharkracing.com? If so, how much? May buy mine today.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Delivered price was $45. Took 7 days to NY. No other charges were described so maybe they bill it in the $45 price which also includes shipping.
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    As schdy said, $45.00 delivered. I'm in Connecticut.
  • Options
    akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2010
    I have had my new Sonata GLS for 3 days. But I find a problem related to the bluetooth. Sometimes when I am just in the car for 2 minutes, the connection between my car and my cellphone complete. But sometimes it says:"Pairing failed". My cellphone is Nokia N96. Do you have any idea about that? Thank you!
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems with this on my Droid, but I'd recommend deleting the phone and re-pairing it to see if that corrects the issue.