Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ba_musketba_musket Member Posts: 28
    The YE Sales for 2011 Prius has begun.

@$21,450 for Prius II => Prius III @ ~ 22K+ prices are looking better than a couple weeks ago.

Here's in NorCal I saw an ad for Prius II @ $22,481 this weekends (17 available), a dealer is hinting a $23K deal for Prius III (no nav). I am still working to get that Prius III at around $22.5 or better + TTL.

Could you share the name and/or phone no of the dealer in So Cal? ;)
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    While you're waiting for a reply from hbqiao1, you can get an idea of pricing at truecar.com. If you take the printout to the dealer, you can usually negotiate a slightly lower price or get extra freebies (mats, etc). If none of them budge, then get the car from the dealer mentioned on Truecar (ask for out the door pricing via email before you go in). BTW, truecar pricing is usually higher than the loss leader pricing that you'll see in the weekend newspaper (Fri or Sun LA Times in Southern CA).
  • hbqiaohbqiao Member Posts: 5
    The dealer is Power Toyota Irvine.
    Breakdown of a quote I was offered (seems about $1000 too high, based on other quotes and incentives posted here).

Prius II, no other options, LA County

Price: $22,498.00
    Tax : $1,973.39
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: $8.75
    Tag/Registration Fees: $216.00
    Other: $29.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: $10.00
    Smog Abatement Fee: $20.00
    Documentation Fee: $55.00
    Balance Due: $24,810.14

0% interest, payments of $690 if we finance the entire amount.

Please post your quotes as well to strengthen our bargaining positions :-)
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Bought my prius in August of 2010 through truecar. Easy way to get a great deal without negotiating much. Your suggestion is pretty much ignored by shoppers. When I did the same -- no one really checked it out. Can't figure why because it costs nothing. My IV is running great with 17k miles.
    edited October 2011
    Truecar does have reasonable prices and is a good place to start. However, their prices are still $500-$1500 higher than the prices reported by other users. As an example, I was offered quotes of $23-$24K for a basic Prius II on Truecar. Another dealer (not on my Truecar list) was easily able to beat the quotes by about $500 on the low end. I've listed his quote above. I'm not interested in squeezing the dealer for every last dollar but $500+ is quite a bit of money.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I am really interested in the Prius V. I had a chance to see it at the NY auto show earlier this year. When are dealers in the NY/NJ areas likely to get some of those cars? is it already on sale anywhere in the US?
  • goody59goody59 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    I live in northern NJ and am looking to lease a Prius, either a III or a IV. What are the current residual and money factors? Also, what are these cars going for in relation to MSRP and Invoice? I cant seem to get a good handle on this car (monetarily) from scouring the net. I currently have a 2009 Highlander lease which runs til May 2012, but the dealer called to see if I wanted to get into a 2012, and the thought of spending 3-5k less a year (leasing/gas) than I currently do is extremely appealing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Posted here as the leasing board ahs no movement the last 6 months.
    I guess I can answer my own question :-)
    After wasting an hour searching on the Internet, I decided to call my local dealer in Bergen County in NJ and it turns out that they just received their first shipment of this model. I am off for a test drive tomorrow.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2012 Toyota Prius V who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to [email protected] no later than Friday, November 4, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

0% for 36 months has been extended to Dec 5 in Southern CA.
    I went for a test drive and found the Prius V to be just what I wanted so I bought a Prius V three. I'll be picking it up in a couple of days. After inquiring on other Prius related forums, it appears that there is little negotiating room in my part of NJ for this model so its basically MSRP. They were very generous with the trade in however.
    edited November 2011
    You may want to check out PriusChat as it has a very active forum devoted to the V. Some pricing info as well ;-)

The wife and I sat in one and we both loved it. It looks great in person and is designed very well. Only issue for the wife was that there was a big blind spot on the passenger side "C" pillar.
    edited November 2011
    Claremont Toyota has an ad for the Prius II at $20,288 after $500 Military Rebate and $750 Toyota Lease Loyalty cash (don't know what this is): link. Last week Toyota of Orange had 15 Prius II for $20,999 after $500 Military Rebate (or $21,500 for the rest of us - still pretty good). Truecar is giving me prices of $22,000, so 2011 prices are coming down pretty fast.
  • dcaodcao Member Posts: 1
    truecar including $1200 fee. that is not a good deal
  • sink1sink1 Member Posts: 3
    Last weekend I traveled to Raleigh and saw large newspaper ads offering 2011 Prii for about $21,700. Anyone else seeing such prices in other states besides West Coast? I am in Ohio and have not found dealers at this price yet.
  • lai_dilai_di Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I bought a basic Prius II for $21500+$2220=$23720 out the door. Bought it at Miller Toyota in Anaheim, California. They tried to add some extra fees at the end of the negotiation but I said no to all of them.
  • notdb4notdb4 Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    Could you list out what was the retail price of the Prius II?
    Thanks
    It was about 2 weeks ago, one of the ad specials, 5 at this price. I think MSRP was about $24500.
  • socal18socal18 Member Posts: 2
    Have an deal on the table for a 2011 Prius III with Nav and Solar / Moon roof. $26,850 purchase price, 12,000 miles, 36-month lease, $15,800 residual for $385 / month (including taxes etc.).

There is a good chance I guy the car off the lease but wanted the optionality of a lease. Any thoughts on that deal? Any more levers I can try to pull?
  • dkla76dkla76 Member Posts: 41
    this claremont dealership is known for bait and switch. i am trying to deal with them via email. ill post what happens. aint gonna fall for "oh we just sold it" tactic.
    Surprisingly, I had OK luck at Claremont. Not the best experience, but not worst either. The worst was Toyota of Orange. I've left a review of them on this website. Many people don't realize this but you can click on "Dealer Ratings and Reviews" at the bottom of this page and leave a review of your experience in sales or service at a particular dealer.
  • jsp9999jsp9999 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody getting a nice quote for Thanksgiving weekend? I got a couple from two... one from Sunnyvale and the other not sure.. It's around 21.5 ~ 21.7K.. Is this decent price?
  • ba_musketba_musket Member Posts: 28
    Could you share the details of your quote?
    Prius Model?
    Equipment Options?
    Is this price + TTL or Out The Door?
    etc.

I've been to Capitol and Piercey Toyota just browsing around. They both have plenty of Prius 2011 to choose from. Good deal to be had on Black Friday? :-)
  • jsp9999jsp9999 Member Posts: 9
    This is II model. OTD = price quote + TTL I presume. I don't have big hope on getting big saving on Black Friday because they all seem to be locked into this tight price range.
  • bbbsss1bbbsss1 Member Posts: 1
    Check out Craig list in the SF Bay Area. I saw a dealer listing a Prius II for 20,899 brand new. Hope this helps.
  • slickdonkeyslickdonkey Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of trading in my old 97 Camry for a Prius leasing deal. Would appreciate it if anyone could comment on whether it's an ok deal. I've never leased before and have never had a Prius. It doesn't have to be the absolute most-awesome deal ever, I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped, missing something, or not reading between the lines.
    Thank you!

"Lease a remaining new 2011 Prius Model 1223 $229 Month PLUS Toyota will Match Your Down Payment or Trade Equity up to $1000"
    $229 per month for 36 months
    $2609 due at signing
    Includes Toyota Care – 2 Year Complimentary Maintenance*

Offer good on remaining new 2011 Prius 5-Door Hatchback II Model 1223.

$229/Mo. – 36 Month Lease. $2,609 due at lease signing. Includes $1,730 Customer Down Payment + First Month’s Payment/$229 + $650 Acquisition Fee.

$275 security deposit waived to qualified buyers subject to approved credit through Toyota Financial Services.

Good on Tier I PLUS only.

36-month payments total $8,244. Excludes state and local taxes, tags, registration and title, insurance, and dealer charges. Lease Factor .00001.

Actual costs should be assessed at dealership and will vary based on individual customer. Closed-End Lease.

Lease-end purchase option $14,112.

The base manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the new 2011 Prius 5-Door Hatchback II Model 1223 is $23,520. Includes destination charge, but excludes state and local taxes, tags, registration, title and insurance.

Adjusted Capitalized Cost is $22,343 based on dealer participation.

A $350 Disposition Fee is due at lease termination.

A negotiable dealer documentary service fee up to $150 may be added to the sale price.
  • dblmdblm Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2011 Prius 2 (no options/accessories but with Toyoguard Elite) at World Toyota north of Atlanta for $23,500 drive-out. They also gave me a very fair price on my trade-in.
  • slcoatesslcoates Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Just bought a 2011 prius 2, blizzard pearl, floor mats $23,000 total invoice 24,150 out the door
    Did not take the $ grand off, going with 0% interest for 60 months. also good trade price, nothing like helping the folks make their month.
    Very happy with my local dealership, never bought new from in town but prices seemed fair!
    Good job Berglund Toyota
    Visited dealership to ck out the Prius V[very nice] but decided on the deal!
    How does my price compare?
    Thanks,Steve
  • wallrwallr Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new Prius III w/o Nav at $22900+TTL. I think it should not be a bad deal because TrueCar's estimated price is $22773+TTL.
    some more details: $7500 down payment and 0% APR for 36 months. The invoice price is 24100.
  • priusfan1priusfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I want to thank all of you for writing your shopping experiences down and sharing your price quotes. This forum does a great service to consumers like you and me. Had I not found this forum, I am sure the dealers would have had their way with my money. I want to share the prices I was given 'out the door'.

I kept on getting prices at, or near $24,800 for the basic Prius 2. After many tidious price negotiations I had come to find out the the dealers invoice is just a little over $23,600. Anyhow, I want to let u guys know that you can buy one a couple of hundred shy of $23,500. It all depends on how good of a negotiator you are. It's possible though folks. Please continue to help eachother out. You are doing a great service.

The priUs 3 w/nav went as low as $25,900. I did not end up purchasing any Toyota though. A General Motors dealer offered me a deal I could not refuse, so I persued it. Don't purchase a car unless you are happy with the pricing. Good deals are out there to be made. Good Luck!
    Don't believe dealer's invoice price. They sold me the Prius III at the price $22900, which is $1200 off the invoice price $24100. Go to TrueCar.com and get an general idea about the real price.
  • priusfan1priusfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for clarifying the true car site. I had no idea what that was. It would have been nice to have during my negotiations. Thanks again! :)
  • toughshopper1toughshopper1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, new to the forum. totally helpful stuff here.

I've called 19 dealerships' Internet Sales Depts, and received 14 responses for the Prius 3 without Navigation base model. Prices are staying steady at $25,450 OTD at 2 dealerships.

I've decided to go with the Nav package and it looks like TruCar's valuation jumped $300 from $24,691 to $24,991 today. Not sure how or why that happened. Also hit up their recommended dealers and they came back with a price $200 above what TruCar base is. I will use this ammo to get them down. Looking like best deal now is $27,500 OTD Winter Grey Prius with Nav package. Wish me luck. I'd kill to find a deal on this package at closer to $27,000.

is it possible? anyone have any luck getting it that low?
    I'm seeing prices people are posting but not the msrp vs the sale price. Kind of difficult to evaluate.
    toughshopper1: Get a quote through Costco as well. Mine was not competitive but it was another data point. Also, you can ask dealers to BEAT the lowest quote you have received and work your way down from there. It takes some time, but it's possible to find an absolute bottom "floor".
  • slcoatesslcoates Member Posts: 2
    msrp on my 2011 prius 2, white with floor matts was $24,700 vs sale price or final invoice of $23,000 without $1,000 incentive, chose 0% for 60 months instead. a good price for my small city but bought last day of month 11/30. My dealership needed the extra sale to make their quota.
    Steve
    Nice deal -- when I bought my 2010 IV in August of 2010 the finance deal was $750 or .9% for 60 months. I opted for the finance pack as well. Of course back then, they were really dealing, so my MSRP was 27400 and the selling price was 25000. All done through truecar. Almost 19k miles on the prius and except for rattles by the glove box -- everything has been perfect. Lots of room and great front seats.
  • toughshopper1toughshopper1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Jayrider, where did you get that deal for your Prius last year? why were they willing to go so low then? i find there's a of Prius cars on lots now because Japan just delivered what they fell behind - or so i hear - dunno if it is true. I want to find that 'floor'. any help is appreciated.

thanks!
    edited December 2011
    You can't go back to August 2010 unless you have a time machine. the dealer i bought from has prius IV models on truecar with $2500 discounts. My guess is that the cars are loaded with aftermarket extras but if you work, you can get that deal. Check truecar with 62208 zip.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Was there any trade-in or financing with your Prius III at $22,900? Just wondering because sometimes dealers will give someone trading in and financing a really good price on the new car because they know they'll make more money on the finance and re-selling the trade-in. I know someone who bragged about buying a car for $1000 under invoice, but then was paying a higher than average interest rate and got a pretty low trade-in. A dealer will be more than willing to sell $1000 below invoice if they know they'll more than make up the difference through finance charges and especially when re-selling the trade-in.

That's why it can be hard to compare deals posted here unless you know all the details. Even the time of the month makes a difference too, since at the end of the month dealers are often willing to make more deals to get their numbers up as well as get cars off the lot for tax purposes.
    No trade-in. 0 APR for 36 months. $7500 down payment. I'm at San Diego.
  • azjim66azjim66 Member Posts: 7
    Just helped my girlfriend"s parents go through the new car buying process. They wanted a 2011 Prius III with solar roof/gps. MSRP $ 29,279.00 $1000 rebate...the OTD price was $28,500.00 including dark window tint $499.00 (Arizona)and pin striping $199. Might have been able to play a little more hardball and get it down a bit possibly @ $28000.00 if I was buying it for myself but they had the right color with the right equipment so her folks decided that was close enough.
    A heads up on the pin striping for the future The customize shops charge $35-$40 to do that and make money. The dealer probably squeezes the subcontractor to do them for $15. Always say you don't like it -- and they might throw it into the deal.
  • azjim66azjim66 Member Posts: 7
    Totally agree on the pin striping.... I always go for an out the door price and never pay extra for the dealer add-ons. They arent gonna take it off the car if you dont want to pay for it. Same goes for the tint which you really need in AZ. The salesguy tried to get that after we agreed on an out the door price..He said well ok but you have to pay for the tint.. I said we agreed on an out the door price for that particular vehicle stock # 1234 and that includes whatever is on there now...you wanna sell it or not?.. and ofcourse he did.
  • svn26svn26 Member Posts: 4
    California - I'm seeing 2011 Prius II prices (after $1k rebate) around $21400-21700. Good deals?
    edited December 2011
    Best deal around here is 22400. 2k off is decent for sure. Of course you will have to fight tooth and nail to get the car without dealer add-ons and the gauntlet in the finance office. You will be pressured hard so practice saying no thanks.
  • phillyguy6phillyguy6 Member Posts: 4
    svn26 - I am also getting quotes around $21500 in SF Bay Area. I am assuming the range you quoted is before sales tax, license, and doc fees?
  • david6david6 Member Posts: 75
    After much working of email, I ended up with a very satisfactory price.

I emailed 21 dealers within a 2 hour drive, and 13 provided proposals. Competing bids are wonderful and exciting!

I ended up with a 2011 Prius 3 with only floor mats and 50-state tinted windows. Dealer is adding full leather.

Vehicle price: $22,530 before tax, tag and doc fees.

Oddly, the MSRP on the floor mats was $299 from all of the dealers, while Edmunds shows it as $200. Edmunds doesn't show the tint either. So, assuming that the "invoice" cost is about 65% of the MSRP, I figure that total invoice should have been $25,486. That gives me a savings of $2,256 or 8.9% off of invoice.

No financing, took the cash incentive. As well as the dealer holdback, and more!

I'm pretty happy with the deal, and even got a good price for my trade in (I made sure I knew what it was worth going in). The annoying thing is when I told other dealers that they didn't win, several said they would beat my best deal by $300. They should have given me that number up front!