Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• kristy8kristy8 Posts: 72
    Well I think I may have some good news, BUT I am not celebrating just yet, I made
    another trip to the dealeship and I spoke with one of the service advisors there and according to the service advisor...FINIALLY GM is making aware of the situation and has come back with that they are working on re configuring the computer componment and re writing the software for the Chevy Nox 4cyl. They say they will put a bulletin out sometime in September and I should be notified some time in Sept. So then I was like well can I get this in writing? He said well the GM rep will be notifying you shortly. So I am not going to start Celebrating just yet until the issue is resolved. So then I asked well whats the reason they determined what was wrong?
    The mechanic said GM has one guy working on all the cases that they were notified of and that the noise is the "spark coming from the ignition" Now I have NO idea what that means. So was my independant mechanic right along?-as posted in my earlier threads? I know you know your stuff in this do you know what they mean by that (sparks in the ignition?). I am happy that I had pushed this issue, this is a great concern to me.
  • clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    Sorry to say,The Chevy Equinox has many major problems caused by major design flaws. Mine Vehicle does the same thing,but since it's constantly in the shop. My servicing dealer usually catches these thing before it gets too bad!!!I have nothing good to say about this vehicle. Chevy-Gm have refuse to address the problems I have complained about this Equinox over 100 times at 1-800-222-1020,all they ever Issued me was a case#No Solutions.
    Oh wow thats not good, I have a case number too and I am not taking no for an answer I have filed a complaint with NHTSA, the more complaints the more they are apt to investigate and hopefully start the recall process.
    www.safercar.gov
    I just wanted to keep you posted with my results and the knocking pinging coming from our engines. I spoke with the dealership today I actually physically went down and spoke to one of the service mechanics that tried to figure out what's wrong with my nox. He said He had spoken to GM and there is one Guy working on all the cases that have been filed by us(-the consumers). He said the engineering department is aware of the situation and are working on re writing and re configuring the computer software, he also said that the noise that we are hearing is due to spark ignition? I am not a mechanic and I don't have a clue what that means. BUT he also said that since GM is aware and looking into ... that this new software should be available by late September. I don't know if this is for GM to buy time or if this is really the case? However I asked for this info in writing and he was unable to give me any info at this time so he said the GM rep is suppose to be getting back to me within the next few days..........so lets see!
    I was told today that GM is working on the solution to the knocking/pinging coming from my engine-at (acceleration). I was told that the engineering department is re writing the computer software and should be updated by late September. Not sure if this is for GM to buy more time, or if this is actual. It's a prominent secondary noise- NOT THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR as others have seemed to have thought. (sparks within the ignition seems to be the problem) The service rep also stated it's seems to be only affecting 4cyl. BUT I can not confirm. ANYONE out there with a 2010 chevy equinox hears this noise from their engine NOTIFY your dealership right away and call GM customer service and start your case number, also file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov
  • rockmobilerockmobile Posts: 115
    edited August 2010
    I tested a 4 cyl. Equinox and I noticed that under heavy acceleration the noise coming out of the engine compartment was not pleasant.

I am planing to go back and test a V6 but I would like to know before hand if the bigger engine is as problematic as the 4 cyl. Any inputs?
  • Well my 4 cyl has almost 1,000 miles now and I have run it pretty hard so far but it runs and performs fine. I even towed a utility trailer down the road to see if I had the hitch and wiring correct. No knocks or pings or odd sounds at all. If the sound some of you hear is detonation it will hurt a motor over time. I have been building motors and racing cars for over 45 yrs and I know that for a fact. I also know they should be able to fix it when they determine the cause in the machines what have it. I wonder if any of you with the problem live in unusual altitudes? Or are using unusual fuels that some states require now. I'm running 87 octane 100% pure gasoline with no ethanol and my state requires no additives and I live at 800 ft ASL
    Thats very interesting because the dealer service station had asked me not once BUT 3 different times what kind of gas I am using without saying the gas company I use the regular grade as recommended by the dealer . By one of the largest gas corps.....ryhms with Noble
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    ryhms with Noble

Ah, Exxon. :shades:
  • Are you referring to regular grade as the 87 octane gas? That is the octane rating but the gas can have 10 or 15% ethanol in it and still be 87 octane. Or it can be oxygenated or have different things done to it to help reduce pollution in some states and cities. Detonation has other causes besides the old standard of low octane and high compression.
  • bjones6bjones6 Posts: 28
    My 4 cyl Nox has 14K miles now, and I don't hear any noises of the kind described by others. I use 87 octane Iowa fuel with 10% ethanol. My gas mileage has been excellent. I actually get 32 mpg on the freeway. Clearly, not ALL Noxes have the problem, but clearly, some do. Maybe different fuel is the issue, but I suspect that there is some difference between ones that are making the dieseling noise and ones that are not. Could be spark timing, could be noisy injector solenoids, could be a compression ratio anomaly. Since the factory foresees a software fix, I suspect the issue is spark timing. Software cannot fix a noisy injector system, typically, and compression ratio is set by the dimensions of the cylinders, also not software correctable. Sure hope GM can resolve this quickly; I'd hate to see this success story go sour on them (and me!).
  • rockmobilerockmobile Posts: 115
    So far so good. Either not many problems with the V6 or most people are opting for 4cyl engines.
    If my van holds up I could also wait for GM to work all the kinks out of the small engine.
  • Since the purchase of my 2010 Equinox in April, I have put 13000 plus miles on it. At around 12,000 miles things started going wrong. I have had my car checked on three different occasions. The first two were for electrical, a check engine light and a rattle. This last one was for the rattle (again), and a ping noise. I can tell you that they kept my car both times overnight and drove it all over the place to try to figure out what the heck was going on with it. What I have discovered is the rattle happens when the RPMs are at around1750 and I am driving at 55mph going up a 20ish% incline. The ping that I’ve mentioned sounds more like a cheap cookie sheet when you push on the center of it and occurs when I stop. What the dealer has told me is that it’s an axle. It seems that is the solution given by GM. I am glad that I just found this site and there are more people experiencing problems. How do I file a complaint? Has anyone else had success with the above mentioned problems?
    Hi
    When you can, read my posts-Kristy8
    were pretty similar with our situation
    I have posted alot of info. I have filed a complaint
    with NHTSA at safercar.gov-that will warrent an investigation
    if enough people complain, also make sure you bring this to
    tech assist through GM they will give you a lousy
    case number-which I might add does nothing but at least
    it's documented. Make sure you save and copy all
    your paper work from the dealership, depends where you live
    but you can look into consumer affairs ( I did )and working with them
    right now In hopes they can help me further.
    To be honest I just drive up to Mobil here in New England I pull in and I pump out the 87 into my tank.
  • I am still having issues with my ipod and the sound when it plays. I have tried multiple ipods to make sure that it isn't just mine, and have discovered that this problem happens with all of them. The problem is that when the ipod starts playing and all the equalizer settings are on "0" the bass sounds like its about the blow the car out. This is the most noticeable problem there, but the treble and midrange also act very out of order. I have to have all of the settings at -10 to -12 for it to sound even close to normal, and the bass is still high. I can't get very good sound quality out of this and now its starting to affect the radio,

I have taken it in on 3 different occasions, all the Chevrolet dealerships, and they say to just keep the settings where they are. They tell me that no speakers are blown, like I feel they are from the sound of it. I have only taken the volume up to "25" at the highest, with the highest volume being 50. I can't even listen to anything above 20.

Has anybody had these electrical issues? I have had tons of them since I bought the car, but GM can't seem to do anything about it other than re-installing the computer software each time. HELP!!! lol
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,251
    Hello Rockmobile,
    I am not certain what sound you heard but, the 4cylinder engines have ticking noises that come from engine. That is a normal noise that is a sound you will get from the fuel injectors. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Kristy, I also used Mobil 87 and I had the ticking and ping noise you have described. I started using the Mobil 89 and I haven't heard any noise since, maybe I just got lucky but so far so good. This has been noise free for about 3 months now and I also have noticed a little better gas mileage.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    With all due respect, Mariah, being a representative of GM and their customer service, it is wrong of you to say what you said to rockbottom, without actually HEARING the sound first! If you have read any of these posts, you can obviously deduce that there is in fact an issue with at least some Nox's because they are already saying that they are working on a software adj on the ECU.

When you read about cases like the one as recently as #515, who had the noise go away with 89 octane, further suggest that the pinging clicking knocking sound is "not normal", and for you to tell rockbottom without actually hearing his car, is not good advice if his/her car happens to be one that is pinging badly.

We know your job here is to try to put out fires, but please provide concerned owners with a few more detailed facts since YOU are closer to GM than any of the rest of us, you have greater access to new announcements. You should have said, see the dealer in a week or two to see if they have the new algorithm settings on the ECU in the hopes that that would help.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    I might have just missed this guys, but where did this discussion about there being a software update in a month come from? And what is the update supposed to fix? Thanks.
    Hello Gimmestdtranny,
    I apologize that you took what I said to Rockmobile that way. All I was simply stating is that 4 cyl Eqinoxs have a ticking sound that comes from the injectors. As I stated I am not sure what sound he heard, but if it was that particular sound I wanted to rule that out for him because not everyone knows that. I have stated many times I am not a mechanic nor can I diagnose your vehicles over the internet. Again, I hear to help with questions and get them to the correct people if need be. Thank you,
    Mariah
    I am aware of the constant ticking noise that suppose to be the fuel pressure regulator as told by my dealership on numerous occassions, However I had to bring back my nox 3x due to another pinging/knocking/rattling sound that's a secondary noise on top of the constant pinging. This secondary noise is only at acceleration and it's getting louder and louder as every day passes. I made a final plea with my dealership on the 18th and the mechanic that orginially examined my car said that GM has one guy working on these type of cases, he said that to his knowledge there are 20 more cases like mine that have been documented with GM and that the engineering dept is actually right now working on a new software for this particular issue. I am not sure if this is a bunch of bull they are feeding me to buy time or if this true? He also stated that the software updates will not be ready until late September. Mariah are you aware of any updates? I asked that my dealership give something to me in writing for this new conclusion, unfortuntately they were unable to provided me any info other than what was stated. I asked the mechanic whats wrong with the car and what's the noise I am hearing he said that the noise I am hearing is sparks in the ignition? I have no idea what that means either. Mariah can you fill us in?
  • I have had a problem with my iphone, cd player and bluetooth. I was listening to a book on cd, and after an hour or so I received a phone call through my interface. first I could not get the car to answer it, then once it finally answered, the phone kept ringing through the speakers while I tried to talk..the caller could not hear the ringing. After I hung up, my cd stopped and kicked out and the iphone was flashing a temperature warning light. All of this happened after my engine light came on..thats another post. THe next day when I wanted to play music from my iphone, it sounded like my speakers were blown out and the car refused to play the iphone. I took to to the dealer and it currently works, however my friends tell me my interface speaker sounds terrible and I sound like I am in a cave
  • terexterex Posts: 26
    The owner's manual (6-28 & 6-29) clearly indicates that not all personal devices, including iPods are compatible with the USB port in your vehicle. The issue is not the vehicle, but the device itself. It makes more sense to complain to Apple (if you have a problematic iPod), than to GM as the issue is industry-wide.
  • Yes, but it happens with all iPods I have connected to the vehicle. 3G, 3GS, IPhone 4, nana, touch, video ( all regular ipods of multiple generations).

If it has been retailed as a iPod adapter and it doesn't work with any iPods that I have connected to it, then I think it is more of an issue with the vehicle and not Apple.

I did read back over my original post and forgot to mention that this only started happening after the computers in my car had been reset multiple times for other electrical problems with the vehicle. My apologies for not stating that in the original post.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    Then it is likely a problem with your dealer not reprogramming the center console correctly. There are numerous examples on here of center console functions not working correctly after a reprogram or repair to those components, and they are all due to improper reprogramming after the repair.
    Hello Amossbur1,
    In my personal experience if I had my Ipod volume up all the way it would cause a similar concern to what you are experiencing. It wouldn't matter how low or high the radio speakers were. It works best with the volume half way on my Ipod. So try checking how high you have your volume on your Ipod and see if that helps at all. Thank you,
    Hello Kristy8,
    I would like to look further into your questions for you. Could you please email me your first and last name as well as your VIN? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Ok doing so now
    Well the dealership has said that GM is working on a software update for
    sparks in the ignition( the secondary noise coming from the engine at acceleration-
    knocking/rattling/pinging noise)
    Thats what they told me this past Wednesday the 18th.