Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• Just found this forum and figured I'd share my experience.

My 2010 Equinox has been back four times in as many weeks for the engine castings causing stalling issue (I think it's GM bulletin #PIP4469E). So far they've cleaned it several times, replaced solenoids, and still the problem persists. The dealership assures me that "this will be the last time" but I've heard that 3 times before :-(

I have to say that I love the car, and I'd rave about it to friends if it wasn't for this issue. Low speed stalling and having to go back to the dealership on a weekly basis does not make for a happy customer.

Hopefully GM fixes the quality control issues that caused this problem in the first place as I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone.
  • 10lt210lt2 Posts: 18
    I have the 4 cylinder. My coasts along fine. I take my foot off the gas all the time and it drifts along very nicely. Mine was built the week of October 19.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    Mine coasts nicely some times, too. When coasting and it is slowly decelerating and gets to a point where it downshifts, however, then it is like the brakes were put on almost. Even with the new cal (though much improved from the old one). Just part of the deal, I guess.
    I did some more testing and I see now that it does downshift when I approach red lights. I find it doing this just as I am considering feathering the brakes a little to stop. My original consideration of this was at higher speeds.

So, when it is going slow (20 mph range) and slowing down, it does downshift and there is a slight decelleration. I find this very good for me. It is using a small fraction of engine braking as I approach a red light. I assume my brakes will last for a few years longer this way.
  • yobotyobot Posts: 4
    Finally I have an answer for the irregular up-shifting that everyone is talking about. According to the On-Star associate this afternoon, from the highway shoulder, diagnostics test cause is the: Pressure Clutch Solenoid. Yipee! I'm not crazy and I'm not waiting for the computer to "learn" my diving habits anymore.
    Betsy will be flat-bedded to the dealer tomorrow morning.
    I will keep you posted.

Yobot
    Not sure what the upshift problem is. Most of this thread has been about downshift problems while decelerating. Could you elaborate on the upshift problem you are experiencing? Also, was there a red light by the OnStar buttons on the mirror showing there was an error code, or was it/they green, but when scanned OnStar showed a code anyway? Thanks.
    The problem occurred as the trans shifted automatically from third gear to fourth. There were a few seconds of high revs and no fourth gear, finally the trans grabbed and popped out again. That is when the check engine light came on the left-hand dashboard cluster near the tachometer.
    The dealer gave me a loaner malibu to drive until they fix the nox. Now I'm wondering if GM will pick up the tow cost, since it is their problem. I'll cross that bridge next week.
    Hope this was helpful.
    Update from service (Monday PM): they said problem new was remedied by new reprogram. They will be test driving in the morning. Will keep you posted. I won't hold my breath.
  • Waiting for a 6 cylinder Equinox to come in and the salesman called today to say that the factory was checking all the 6 cylinder engines before being released. Mine was cleared and hopefully here in a few days-very anxious to receive delivery. Any ideas of any possible problems with the 6 cylinder engines?
  • ulliulli Posts: 14
    I took delivery on a 1LT on Nov. 4. So far the vehicle more than meets my expectations.
    One negative - The low beam headlights are insufficient. High beams are very good. I talked to the service manager at my dealer. Since i'm only the second equinox that they delivered, he had not heard the complaint. He checked with the factory and they were apparently aware of the problem and a fix is in the works ( computer reprogram to increase voltage ).
    So far I could not be happier with my dealer - thru sales negotiations and keeping me informed on manufacturing progress and delivery - and now on service response. I don't know if it is proper to mention a dealers name or not in this venue, but if someone will let me know i'll post it.
    I'll post an update on the low beams and on the vehicle overall after i've driven more.
    I dropped our 2010 nox into the dealer for the same problem on this past Saturday.
    By Monday afternoon the ecm had been re-programmed but service was still not satisfied with shifting. We have just 1735 miles and now I'm starting to worry about having made a decision to buy it.
    Only time will tell.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    file a lemon because I don't think you'd want to keep this car in the long run. do you realize how much damage it's already done inside the engine? :lemon:
  • I have 2 issues so far...

1. The memory seats are not consistently recalling when entering the vehicle. I have the easy exit feature turned on but when either key is used to unlock and open the door, it is hit or miss to whether or not the seat will move back to the correctly programmed setting. Also, you have to hold the 1 or 2 button down until the seat is back to where you have set it. Is this normal?

2. We have had some cold mornings lately and I have the remote start heated seats option turned on but when the car is remotely started, the seats don't heat up and the defrost or heat is also not on either. I have the air set to ON in the settings. Is there a minimum temperature before the heated seats will activate? It believe it was around 37 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • drove both on saturday-liked the rav until i drove the chevy which seemed much nicer to me. i am sort of afraid of the chevy since people are having some issues like the trans and the stalling. i do not want to be stranded and towed in if i can avoid it-should i just go with the rav?
  • I drove my 2010 Equinox for 10 days before it had a power steering, stabilitrac error message. It was towed to the dealership with 3 sensor errors. I haven't seen my car in a month! Local (rural) dealer service dept. took the electronics apart and can't figure out how to reassemble it. Regional GM man said it wasn't a GM quality issue but, rather, my car must have been hit by lightning and it was because of their generosity that they are fixing it! Funny he has never seen my car and only said this after the service man suggested I might get a replacement vehicle from GM. I was stunned by this turn of events. So much for customer service! Any of you out there have sensor problems on their 2010 nox? I read the post by familycar(?). Any insight into this problem. Alas, this is my first and possibly last GM product.
  • Computers seem to be just as finicky in cars as they are on desktops. No doubt strange things happen. It's too bad your service techs can't figure out what the problem is, but it's worse that the regional gm rep is blaming your cars problem on God.
    My strange thing is minor by comparison. After I had my flash for tranny calibration, the interior lights dim/turn off every time I go under a bridge. It's as if they sense that it's darker inside the cabin, so they want to make it even darker. Very strange.
    I think this is your car sensing darkness and switching "on" the automatic lights. When you lights go on, your interior lights get dimmer. They are bright for daylight hours when the sun is out but go dimmer at night when you don't need so much light.
  • Sorry about the problems you are having. If you don't get the satisfaction you deserve, go above the GM's head. You own part of the company! I am still waiting for my Nox. I pray that I don't have problems. I am getting a LTZ fully loaded 4 cylinder. I really want this car to be my baby. :mad: :sick:
  • urdeadurdead Posts: 13
    brueggie I have the same problems you have and I hope you have better luck getting them fixed than I have. The memory seat issue is such a pain in the rear. Chevrolet replaced the memory seat module on mine but that still didn't fix it. I you have the mirror reverse tilt option on you will notice that they don't always go back to the same position either when you put the car in drive after backing up. They then gave me a stupid excuse that the seats were working as intended but not as designed.

I also had the remote start preheat problem and the temperature seems to be below 30 degrees before mine kicks on, although it says otherwise in the book.
  • berriberri Posts: 9,866
    Its unfortunate to hear all of the problems being posted on the new Equinox. It gets great write-ups and reviews, but maybe it just carried over too much of the previous model underneath?
  • Unfortunately the people who post with problems out number the satisfied customers who don't post. I'm sure this could be said for every model out there, I myself am a satisfied owner of a 2010 Nox.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    A co-worker just took delivery of a 10 Equinox (he waited over a month for it).

I asked if he had any issues with the transmission, he said zero. He just gushes about it. He came from a 2002 Honda CRV.
  • I have a similar problem with my 4 cylinder. Although it is very quiet inside, I notice some tapping noise (not a knocking noise) at idle when standing outside the car. Took it back to dealer and was told this is normal fuel injector noise.
  • That's good to hear, mine does the same thing.
  • how can tell tapping from knocking noise? I do feel excessive noise when standing outside my 4 cylinder nox, compared to my v6 malibu. when speeding up the nox, it's not that quiet inside. that's why I posted a question on how to tell the noise cancellation properly working here (may be a month ago).

I also feel quivering on gas pedal when pushing it a little harder, not sure if it is normal (at least no this kind of feeling on v6 malibu for 4 cylinder direct injection engine? :confuse: any suggestion?
    4 cyl sound harsher than 6 or 8 cyl. Without being right by your vehicle it is hard to say if it is a malfunction or not. The gas pedal thing seems weird and atypical for this vehicle. I'd take it in and see what they say. If they say everything is normal, take it to another dealer. If they both say it is normal then it probably is (don't tell the second dealer you took it in to a different one first as to not bias their opinion).
  • Tapping or knocking? I don't know, but I do hear tic.. tic.. tic.. at idle. It goes away when I get up to speed. Of course that may be due to other noises canceling out the tapping. I do think the nox is a bit noisy. I've sprayed 4 cans of undercoating, but I really can't tell if it's better or not.
  • I got my 2010 Equinox yesterday. It is brand new. On two occassions, I used the key remote to unlock the doors. The door lock popped up, but the door wouldn't open. After locking and unlocking several times, the door will open. Sometimes it opens on the first try. Anyone have this problem or suggestions?
  • I've got a problem not mentioned on here yet (from what I know!) I think my key fob is already starting to die! Yesterday on three different occasions I went out to my car to grab things and the key fob wouldn't work. So my alarm would go off as I unlocked it manually. Then, randomly enough, other times it would just fine.

Maybe it was just a fluke, but if I have this problem again, I'm going straight to my dealer. Those fobs and keys are EXPENSIVE to replace, and I feel as though I should not have to pay for a new one with my 10 'NOX only being 2 months old! I have my spare still, but am frustrated with the idea that one of them might already be running out of battery life. Guess sometimes it's the littlest things that can annoy you the most!
  • runoxrunox Posts: 156
    Would seem to me that would be a bumper to bumper issue.