Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• mdollarmdollar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2LT 4cyl that is showing the same symptoms. At highway speeds, mostly straight-line, the steering does feel sticky. I've also noticed it on long sweeping turns, so it isn't just dead center.

Anyone else seeing this?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. if you read the problem thread of any car you will get nervous.

My friend at work has had a base 2WD 2010 Equinox for a month and he loves it.

I should add that he had a Santa Fe before the Equinox and had a couple of little issues at the start but once they were ironed out it was fine.

I am planning on getting one in a couple of years when out van lease is done.
  • roxanne3roxanne3 Member Posts: 23
    There are 95 reviews on the website, and the Nox still has a rating over 9 ! Pretty impressive, don't you think ? You should be reading all those positive reviews and get off this thread ! That's what I had to do while I was waiting for mine to be delivered.
    Come back to threads LATER, after you've had your NOX for a while and only IF you're having a problem to see if anyone else is having a similar problem and what experience they've had. Otherwise you'll just make yourself crazy. It's hard enough just waiting. Keep a positive attitude - you're going to love it. Good luck. :)
  • starfleetstarfleet Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for that advice. I needed to hear that. Although I did read all the positive reviews, for some reason the negative ones always sticks in my head......I will take your advice........Thanks ;)
  • elisa81elisa81 Member Posts: 38
    I also have a 2LT 4cyl that is showing those sticky symptoms. I always feel it when I'm driving down a straight interstate/highway and am going over 50 mph. At first I thought I was imagining things, but now it's been there for a few weeks. I took delivery of my vehicle the beginning of October, so I was surprised that a problem is popping up 3500 miles down the road. If anyone hears more about this, or finds a solution, I'd love to know! Meanwhile, I will be calling my dealer (again) and seeing if I can get it in for all of the computer updates, as last time I called they said there weren't any. (yea right!)
  • jlg44jlg44 Member Posts: 12
    I would not worry. We bought one a month ago and love it. The 4 cycl. gets good gas milage and has pleanty of power.Have not had any of the issues that I have seen on this post.
  • amyleeamylee Member Posts: 1
    I have 1500 miles on my 2010 LTZ front wheel drive. The only problem I have is major road noise! I thought these cars were suppose to be really quiet. Is anyone else having alot of road noise?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    That's pretty good mileage. I too would use the eco mode. Possibly it might make it a bit too lethargic if car had 4 occupants, and you were trying to merge on freeway, but in that case u can switch it off easy and fast right..
    Too bad about the seat. I wonder if the foam is faulty? I would certainly ask dlr about it. Have you sat in dif Nox to compare? Is passenger seat the same?

Not bad mileage for the city and still being quite new and tight. I'm good for colours as long as they offer a light silver :) I like light colours outside and in. Not as hot to drive in summer. And dark colours attract heat sinking whichg attracts mice invasion if you live in an area that have a lot. I have to set traps under the hood of car every time I park it. I live rurally and have no kittys, and don't move the car everyday. They completely invaded and destroyed my last black car. I will never own a black car inside or out again.
    I know, unusual problem. Believe it or not, determining how mouseproof the car is is PARAMOUNT in what I choose to drive now. I would like to hear from others here if they have some ye or ney comments on this on the Nox or any other vehicle. I always park with HVC controls in recirculate now. All mfrs SHOULD have a central location where the HVC pulls it's air from and that should be screened, as should the flow-through rubber flaps that let air exhaust at the rear. Until you have lived the nightmare I have, people think it's just a joke.

And so needless.
    Oh, I hope I haven't contributed to your feelings of uneasiness? :(

Like has been mentioned, there are always stuff to sort out with any new car, so it will likely be fine. And like was suggested, read about all the good reviews instead.
    I am mechanically inclined and love to dig into technical stuff so don't mind any of my queries. I really want to like this car and intend to get one once some of the ailments are sorted. My hope is that they will offer it with a std transmission though.
    Enjoy your new Nox, and drive safe :)
  • ulliulli Member Posts: 14
    Yes you can switch it on and off. The eco and normal modes are like the tow-haul mode on my silverado and tahoe. The normal mode simply increases the shift point to a higher rpm. I've used the normal mode going up hills and the engine just winds up a little more. Personal preference I guess. I've also used the ers mode. That lets you set the shift points( within limits), but it's fun to play with if you miss the good old days of standard transmission ( or as close as you can come). I've yet to check mileage on the road.
  • smc4smc4 Member Posts: 3
    I had exactly the same "sticky" steering problem happen to me too. I was in Toronto for the weekend and it occurred on Dec. 27. My NOX has around 4200 miles. I took delivery of this SUV on Sept. 29, 2009. The problem seems to have disappeared. I have been driving without this problem for 3 days now, but I am worried that there is a hidden problem in the car waiting to happen again. It is not a very good feel. Other than that I love this vehicle.

I'd appreciate any feedback about this.
    Didn't think about the possibility of the foam being faulty, and I haven't compared it to a different Nox. They are still hard to find around here. I do plan on asking dealer about it though. Just haven't had the time yet. Would definitely like a fix if possible.

Used the remote start recently and there seemed to be heat with it this time. Only need it when working where I have to park outside so I haven't used it that much over the holidays since I'm off and the Nox is in our garage when at home. Will see what happens next week and then take it in. Will let you know how that goes.

So sorry you have such a problem with mice ! Where do you live ?

As far as colors go, I believe that silver is the most popular and that would have been fine except that I've had silver for the past 10 years and wanted something different. I'm okay with the "Gold" Mist color except that I think the name of the color is wrong, but then I guess I really shouldn't expect that much honesty from a car company. However, overall I will say that I am happy with my Nox. Having said that though, I am not sure I would buy another if I'm not able to get the seat fixed. Comfort while driving is pretty high on the priority list. I'll know more after April when I take a trip out to visit my mother - a 5 hour drive each way. Haven't written an online review yet either. Want to wait a while for all these things to shake out. Good luck with your mice problem & thanks for your comments.
    :)
  • sinnedksinnedk Member Posts: 4
    I have 1200 miles on my 2010 equinox, just came back from a 1,000 mi. trip, love everything but the mpg. 4 cyl. fwd got 24.9 at 72 mph. tried it on a 40 mi, stretch at 60 mph and only improved to 25.9, the only way to get 32 would be to have a buddy to follow and give a push. chevy just lies about 32mpg or i got a lemon.
  • starfleetstarfleet Member Posts: 18
    Got my Nox on the 31st of Dec............LTZ fwd, 4cyl, Mohca steel, with blk/brown interior, NAV, Rear intertainment, sun roof, 17" wheels, the works..........So far so good. It has great pick up.....I am still learning about all the bells and whistles, believe me there are a lot. Is it anything it doesn't do? :blush:

It does have a few blind spots, but I will get use to them......the car is sweet.....I think my dog really loves it as well :shades:

Thanks to all who help to calm my nerves! ;)

I will keep you updated...............HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)
    I wouldn't worry too much just yet. At 1200 mi it is still too new and tight to give any indicator of real world mileage yet. It'll get better. Check again after 5000 mi.
    Hey that's great! Happy for ya:) Owner's manual is your best friend for a bit. [thumb up] Keep us posted :)
  • photojemphotojem Member Posts: 5
    I'm at the 4000 mark, and have made 9 150+mile highway trips since September when I picked the Ox up at the dealer in Philly and made the first trek- 200 miles home up I-95 & I-87 to Albany. Running with Cruise at 72 for the majority of most trips I've averaged 30+/- .5 on the highway. Around town, we're averaging about 25mpg.
  • deucemideucemi Member Posts: 2
    Been reading your comments for 2 months while waiting for my Mocha Steel NOX, picked it up Dec 23rd-sweet!! First trip Detroit to Raleigh NC; runs smooth, good pick up, I-77 thru mountains WV milage range- 24.9 to 25.9 MPG, current read for 693 miles trip(moderate-heavy traffic) is 25.0 mpg. Wife learned XM channels, on-star operations-still studying all other tech stuff. Next phase Raleigh to Gatlinburg TN-more mts, then TN thru mts(TN & KY) back to MI. Will check mpg in the flat lands of Ohio I-75. Overall great ride(NOX) helps forget the good workhorse I had in the 02 Trailblzer-sold it w/ 135,000mi). Most have 4cyl any others w/ 6CYL? :)
  • maxiumpetemaxiumpete Member Posts: 9
    I also have the 6 cyl Nox with the same color and 2Lt configuration. I'm getting from 24 - 25 mpg on the highway. I currently have about 8500 miles on it and It seems to me that the mpgs have gotten a bit better since the first 5000 miles. So, your mileage may go up a bit more as you continue to enjoy your Nox. :)
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Our 2010 Nox (about 6k miles) stalled this past Saturday when pulling into a gas station along side the interstate. OnStar ran a diagnostic to see if there were any codes, and "engine/transmission" gave a code. They couldn't tell us what the code was or what it meant, but just said to take it to a dealer ASAP. I was able to start the vehicle right back up and it has been fine since.

So yesterday I took it to a dealer and they said a cam shaft actuator needed to be replaced. I have no idea what that even is, but they had to order the part.

I guess this is just one more thing to look out for. It seems different than the stalling issues others have had (engine contamination during manufacturing). On the surface it seems as if this isn't a major problem with these, but mine might be something of an isolated case of just a bad part or something.
  • chevy52chevy52 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had metal shavings in the solenoid crank shaft end in he 2010 AWD LT/2LT ? My CEL came on,and the dealership where I bought my vehicle told me that he thought I had screwed the gas cap on too tightly. Not believing him, I called the local dealership who then determined that it was metal shavings. The vehicle only has 1,000 miles on it. The dealership mechanic said there were no recalls, but there was a bulletin about looking out for this. It is no wonder GM is having problems, if this is what happens at the factory.
  • jpatrick99jpatrick99 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any luck finding aftermarket wiper blades for the 2010?
    The places I've checked show no listing for them. The owners manual shows a GM part #, but I have a bad feeling the local dealer will be charging $20 for a $5 blade.
    If I wanted BMW prices I would have bought a BMW.
    Anyone replaced their blades?
  • hopkibaehopkibae Member Posts: 8
    My Equinox (1,300 miles, 2 months old) shut down while making a left turn at low speed in relatively cold weather. Started up and ran fine after I coasted to a stop. Took it to the dealership and they could not find any codes or problems. I have read about filings. Any information to help the dealership troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    :confuse:
    South central Ontario, rurally. I've been told the mice are worse due to their attraction to hay, and there are farms in the area. (never move a bail of hay in trunk as a favour to a friend, or even help a neighbour hay and get back in car without a change of clothes)
    Thanks for these great mpg figures! And to the others here also previous and since your post. As a truckdriver, (where fuel mileage represents a lot of your profit margin) I am impressed with the number of you who use decimal places in your figures. And how you communicate your driving style and geography to us.
    Very comprehensive. Cool!

And for anyone getting way less than they think they should, I am reading that even 5000 mi is not enough to give you a true indication of what you might expect.
    Some have gotten better mileage after 8500 mi. (the engine loosens up a bit) But also, fuel mileage figures (EPA etc) are always tested in summer type temps. And it makes quite a difference.
    The cam shaft of the engine which actuates the valves?
    Any chance you could elaborate with your post? It has elements that don't seem to be related to each other? (the gas cap torque vs the metal shavings, and in the solenoid? starter solenoid? - but part of the crank shaft?) it's all very confusing.
    It might be a bit of reach, but have you had anyone rule out ice in the gas?

Try to keep tank full through the cold season to reduce amount of potential condensation.

Only on left turns tho eh? Was the tank very low on fuel by chance?
  • hopkibaehopkibae Member Posts: 8
    Only happened once, gas tank was 3/4. Thanks for the response.
  • miwhitemiwhite Member Posts: 6
    I haven't found winter blades that fit my 2010 Nox, but Crappy Tire has a Reflex blade that fits the left windshield wiper. Unfortunately they don't yet have one for the right wiper. The replacement blade is for a 2009 Malibu which requires a 24" left and a 21" right wiper blade. The Nox needs a 17" right.
  • remmy4remmy4 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same thing happen to me on the 6th in cold weather(Northern Illinois). Only I had just pulled up to a stop sign to make a right hand turn. No warning lights came on or anything. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow or Wednesday. If they come up with anything I will let you know.
  • jpatrick99jpatrick99 Member Posts: 4
    Good info, thanks!
    I purchased my Nox 2010 the end of July from a local GMC dealer in my town. This was the second car I had purchased from this dealership. Since my Nox was the 2LT version, it was supposed to have the USB port already installed. When I got it home I couldn't find the USB port and the next day I asked my salesman where it was. He couldn't find it either and "discovered" that my car, for some reason, didn't get one installed at the factory but that I had been credited $75 somewhere on the car's invoice because GM had messed up. Mulling this over for a couple of months I decide to take the car back and to the dealer I purchased the car from to see what it would cost to install the port since its a bit difficult and distracting to try and work with an iPod player without such a connection.

At the dealership, I'm informed that to install the USB port in my car would cost me $250. Since I was only credited $75 for not getting it I was a bit disappointed by this news. They acknowledged that the Nox should have had the port but all they could do now was to give me $100 off the normal $350 cost to install. I decline and return home. Rather than argue anymore with my original dealer I thought I would try another dealer in the area to see if I could get a bit more help. This second dealer (Vandergriff Chevrolet, Arlington, TX) is much larger and turned out to be much more accommodating. They also got the GM area representative involved with my USB port issue. He has been calling me personally asking about the install process.

Last week they installed the USB port free of charge but couldn't get the audio system to recognize it. I returned the car this week to correct the programming and the dealership also provided a car for me to use during the time my car was being worked on.

I picked the car up today and the system now "sees" the USB port. Besides the USB port I had the Radio control assembly replaced and the power steering line sleeve removed, two recalled items that needed to be taken care anyway for the Nox 2010.

Conclusions? While it was certainly more out of the way to take the car to the Arlington dealership, I got much better service. Maybe they have more pull with GM. They certainly had more expertise and willingness to tackle my problems. Will I return to the local dealership after my experience? Certainly not! Will I have the larger dealership tend to my automotive needs from now on? You betcha!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Since my Nox was the 2LT version, it was supposed to have the USB port already installed. When I got it home I couldn't find the USB port and the next day I asked my salesman where it was. He couldn't find it either and "discovered" that my car, for some reason, didn't get one installed at the factory

I thought we were supposed to have a brand new GM - this sounds too much like the old GM. I don't understand how something this basic could get screwed up on the assembly line? I mean, its standard equipment for heaven's sake! Bad enough if they mess up an option, but this is inexcusable really. You shouild send a complaint to Whitacre since this is the kind of stuff he's trying to clean up.
    "I thought we were supposed to have a brand new GM - this sounds too much like the old GM. I don't understand how something this basic could get screwed up on the assembly line? I mean, its standard equipment for heaven's sake! Bad enough if they mess up an option, but this is inexcusable really. You shouild send a complaint to Whitacre since this is the kind of stuff he's trying to clean up."

I agree. I would also reveal the dealership (ironically enough even the selling dealer of not only the NOX, but a previous car also!!!) not only to us, but have head-office informed so that they have the optional heads-up of a necessary sit-down with them. It is at the dealership level that GM relies on as the initial and primary interaction of it's customers and it's product, to help them restore the customer base and confidence in their product.

In viewing this thread from the beginning, there is still an unfortunate and all too reminiscent theme unfolding.

Old habits may be hard to break, but are at least made easier to appease the patient customer, by dealerships like the 2nd one in Arlington who ended up resolving his issue.
    Contrarily, the selling dealer's attitude is one of the ones GM needs to squash like a bug...like yesterday..
    They need a corporate spanking in the biggest way..
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Good point on the two dealers. People are going to be inclined to blame the UAW here, but I'm going to disagree. Even though I don't agree with some of the work rules and stuff, I think the union knows what is at stake when things like this occur and how it hurts GM's turnaround. I think most workers are trying to build a good product and preserve their jobs. GM corporate needs to look closely at the plant management. This sounds too much like the old days of just pushing out the numbers, and long term that's a reputation killer.
    It felt to me like the first dealership probably could have taken care of the USB issue had they the time/connections/passion/desire/interest/expertise to do so. The second dealership in Arlington took ownership of the issue and addressed it by first contacting GM directly and involving the Area rep. I think they probably got the green flag from the area rep to fix the problem first and with his blessing moved ahead and charged GM for the repair and the car rental. This is a good reminder to me that if the dealership won't address an issue, take it to the next level and get the GM area rep involved even if you have to go to another dealership to do so. I feel GM did a good job addressing my issue once they were made aware of it at the Area rep level.
  • miwhitemiwhite Member Posts: 6
    I forgot to mention that the Crappy Tire blade has a teflon coating and I can confirm that it chatters less than the stock wiper blade.
  • mrpj99mrpj99 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had remote start issues? Dealer showed me this feature at dealership and now it works ocassionally but not consistently. Is it the key? Very frustrating. :mad:
    I also had trouble using the remote start and I think I have solved it by not pressing the lock icon too long. Just one quick press on the lock icon and then the start button and it seems to start right up. You do have to be line of sight but it is much more consistent with this new strategy.
  • chevy52chevy52 Member Posts: 2
    I recently posted a question about metal shavings
    near the head. I took to the dealer and the
    info was sent to GM. The result was the
    actuator was replaced and GM thought it was
    a result of the manufacture of the head.
    I hope that resolves the problems, but makes
    me nervous with such a new vehicle with only
    1,000 mi. on it.
    At first I thought it just didn't work. I would press the lock button for a second and then the remote start button for a second and it wouldn't start. But I started holding the remote button for a longer time (after pressing the lock button first for a second), and it starts every time. :)
  • tjc14tjc14 Member Posts: 1
    I too have experienced this "sticky" steering almost every time that I drive the vehicle. I own the 4 cyl with electric assisted steering. It feels like the wheel is "locked" slightly when held in one position for a few seconds. The situation can even be felt when the vehicle is stopped. The steering wheel when the steering is affected in this way can not be moved slightly in a smooth motion. This problem acts up on a totally random basis. Has anyone experienced this problem and had the condition remedied?
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2010 1LT Equinox. I noticed that there are two little lights on either side of my license plate...right above it, near the tailgate button. Does anyone know when or how these lights turn on? I've tired everything and they do not come on. (Brake, high beams, etc...) I just wanted to know in case there is something wrong and I have to get them fixed.

Thanks!
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    Hi ronwel. I just checked my 2010 1 LT Nox and these lights come on when the headlights are on to light up your license plate. I would check the fuse or the bulbs. Something is wrong. Good Luck
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that the Chevy "Bowtie" log was supposed to light up, and when I went to check, I noticed that my plate lights were not working. I've had a few electrical issues with my Equinox, so this really does not suprise me.

I'll get it looked at when I take it in for it's next oil change.
  • bluesgalbluesgal Member Posts: 3
    Someone please advise me.
    Bought the 2010 equinox LS. The driving experience is so disappointing. Not sure if it is just what you should expect with a 4 cylinder OR if there is any easy fix.
    Problems are:
    1. Jerky upshifting...I feel the car hesitate as it moves to the next gear...a Very noticeable hesitation...feels just like I have a standard even though it is an automatic.
    2. Feels like I am driving with the brakes on...They aren't.
    3. Accelerator is out of sync. Seems to be too loose.

I am seriously considering taking advantage of the moneyback guarantee as I took delivery in December. I want to like this car but I was hoping when I switched FROM a standard to an automatic that I would have a SMOOTHER driving experience. Was my mistake in buying a 4 cylinder?
    Thanks
  • pete2470pete2470 Member Posts: 6
    can someone tell me a good MP3 player that will work connecting with the USB in my new 2010 Nox LT2
    thanks
  • bluedadbluedad Member Posts: 9
    I test drove the 4cyl, put about 20 miles on it. At mile 4 I put it on the highway. I knew at the on ramp there was no way I could buy this thing. I did the other 16 miles trying to like it. Wife was shocked I gave it that much of a chance. Where I live the highways are like a racetrack and the 4cyl just didn't cut it and the noise getting up to 65 was too much. Drove and bought the 6cyl, a huge improvement and I am completely happy with my decision. I get 27-28 on the highway and that is plenty for me. Take it back and get the 6, you'll be glad you did.