Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    make sur eyou change your fuel filter also. Most people forget about that. also if you remove the intake where it meets the throttle body, i would clean inside of there where the butterfly is. That is known to build up carbon and cause rough idle. Personally, what i would do is.... replace the fuel filter and pcv valve then throw a can of SEAFOAM in the gas tank. my 2.0 1999 tracker used to love that stuff! I did the same as you when i bought both of my trackers. (1999-2.0 4x4) and my recent (2004-2.5 4x4) i replaced ALL fluids. transfercase,axles,transmission engine to ALL synth. i went the amsoil route. oh and as far as tires. the biggest size it was designed for is 215/75-15. People have put 235 but 1) killed gas mileage and 2) rubbed. someone had 235's on my 2004 tracker and it rubbed the inside bad. but only on sharp turns.i have B.F.Goodrich All-Terrains on my tracker. Boy they are great in the snow and offroading!
  • postie2000postie2000 Member Posts: 3
    I have a steering issue with a 2000 Tracker. It seems that the only part that I've been able to find is through GM. And they wan almost $650.00. This is nuts, in all other GM's, like full size trucks, it's $250.00 part, what's up with this Tracker!!
    salvage yard.
    Thanks, have been trying that one with no luck so far.
    I have read this many times where a tracker owner will look up a part and get it from a suzuki dealer at a way cheaper price! That might be a option for you at this point...
    hey thanks, never thought about that, will give it a try this week!

Postie
  • twilight777twilight777 Member Posts: 1
    My 4wd light comes on steady, hi-lo. 4wd is not engaging. Any ideas?
  • cdl2cdl2 Member Posts: 15
    There is a junk yard that has a 2001 Tracker. It's called Pierce Auto parts. 800-762-2951. I got the tires & alum rims off it. Heavy front end damage, seats were gone.
    Thanks, Chris. I've replaced the PCV valve, & put in the Seafoam. Put synthetic in the rear axle. The thing that bugs me now is it clunks when I put it gear, it's an automatic. Doesn't do it every time & it doesn't make any diff if it's hot or cold. Mostly in drive, rarely in reverse. New plugs did pick up 1mpg, number 2 wasn't any fun. Thanks
    What weight of rear diff oil did you use for the rear axle? Im just wondering why you are getting that clunk. One thing that came to mind was "maybe" a broken mount of some sort. either engine or trany? btw how many miles do you have on it and was the automatic trany fluid AND filter ever changed. i did mine on both my trackers... The fluid is very very easy to change! its got a drain plug....

chris
  • tripstertripster Member Posts: 10
    Ihave a 98 Tracker and I just replaced the transmission because of a bad 2nd gear Sycro.
    Now the 5th gear in the trans I bought out of a wrecking yard is geared lower without a dought,, any thoughts? The RPM's went up about 700 @ 70 mph
    What weight of gear oil do you use in the 98 tracker 5 speed?
    I used 80w-90 in the rear axle, the clunk was there before I changed the oil. Talked to a guy in TX, said that it was normal & he had two Trackers. I did check the mounts & the U-joints. Changed the trans fluid & filter, then changed the fluid again. Just to make sure, plus it's easy with that drain plug. I'm used to having trans fluid all over the place, love the smell of trans fluid in the morning. I have 79,000 miles on it now. Getting 25 mpg, & getting better?? Did you call that junk yard? It's on the west side of Ohio, near Richmond, IN. I think thay have several Trackers. Dog hair in my keyboard, he's a good dog :).
  • vtfarmboyvtfarmboy Member Posts: 10
    I know this sounds dumb.... and i will admit that when i paid for a new altinator and battery once i was banging my head on the wall when i was told that this was the problem....... but when mine went on my 2000 tracker it was all because my alternator belt wasnt tight enough.... took the battery, altenator and voltage regulator with it....... not saying its the cause of your problem but worth checking before investing in a second round.
  • jasonc34jasonc34 Member Posts: 1
    This timing belt thing seems kind of common. It happened to me too. How many timing chains have to break and ruin engines before Chevy starts to pay us all for our troubles.
  • reedphireedphi Member Posts: 2
    My '01 2.0L manual has also started to develop an intermittent idle problem where it refuses to maintain its normal 750 rpm and falls towards zero although the engine hasn't died yet. It also always starts fine, cold or hot. It's becoming more frequent.No check engine light either in my case.

Sure would like to know the answer.
  • bigevil976bigevil976 Member Posts: 3
    My 00' 2.0L Tracker is doing the same thing but my check engine light is coming on. I have to reset it by unhooking the battery from time to time! My mechanic told me that it's an "idle air control sensor" and that they run around $140 It idles rough especially when the AC is on but other than that it runs fine. I'm going to replace the sensor soon though because he said eventually it will start dying on me. Hope this helps.
  • dcw41dcw41 Member Posts: 5
    My lw beams on my 2002 tracker don't work, only high beams. My DRL work though. Does the DRL work via high beams? How do I check to see if the filament are burned out in the low beams? And what's the differentce between filaments and lamps?
    its more than likely your bulbs. when i had my 1999 tracker i burned out bulbs every 6 months. One bulb every six. it would take turns, and it was always the low beams. since you need 2 new bulbs now is a great chance to get a better replacement set of bulbs. better, white light or blue..
    Can anyone point me to a site where I can see a exploded version (manual) of a 5 speed transmission for my tracker? I need to replace my 5th gear and need a little help.
    I replaced my 98 transmission with a 93 transmission and they are gearded different in 5th.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide may work for you.
    Thanks,
    I have tried that link but could not find the manuals for a Exploded Transmission.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Too bad. The only other search that occurs to me is to look for Suzuki Sidekick manuals for that era.
  • wojowwojow Member Posts: 12
    2000 Tracker, 2wheel drive, 2 door. I am going trough 3 set of belts in less then a year. At first they are nice and quiet, and then belts will start squeeking a little when starting the motor, and after 2-3 months: high pitch squeek for long time to the point of smelling burned belt rubber - when starting the motor...................
    if the belts are burning up it sounds like one of two things. 1) improper alignment of the pulleys, or 2) a pulley that is not turning freely and creating drag on the belts. Either way it comes back to a pulley.
  • ipaqnmeipaqnme Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Tracker 4 dr LOOOVE my baby..But each time I check here for the last couple of years I always get that the timing chain needs to be changed after 100k
    miles or it can create much damage when it does break.
    I make sure that all maintenance is done on my vehicle. I have had conversation a few times with my mechanic and he says it is in good condition. I am at 130k miles.
    I am thinking that I need to change it now whether any current problems or not. Is there anyone out there that would know what the price would be?
  • rstrackerrstracker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Tracker with the 1.6 4cyl. It has a new radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, and hoses. If I sit in the driveway with the car running it will heat up properly and keep a safe temperature. If I rev it to 2500-3000 rpms for about a minute it will over heat once I let off the accelerator. If I drive it I get the same results when I come to a stop, it over heats. Please help because I am about to just junk it.
  • tmcherneytmcherney Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 Chevy Tracker. The Oil light is coming on ONLY
    when the vehicle has warmed up (live in MN) and when coming to a stop. Not on otherwise.

Had a recent oil change and check it frequently - plenty of oil.

2 diagnositcs by Tires Plus found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    restrictive/defective oil filter. In the past 5 years i have had 4 defective oil filters between my cars and motorcycles. Its not completely unheard of. that or what is your idle like when your at a stop light. can you see where the tach is? as long as your oil level is correct, i would replace the oil filter. its a cheap check. Then i would check your idle. when that light comes on give it a tiny bit of gas and see if it goes out...
  • adicleadicle Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Chevy Tracker (2.0 liter/Manual) 126,000 miles. I love this car but have questions about the timing chain. It doesnt mention any replacement intervals in the manual. Has anyone replaced the timing chain anyway? Is it neccesary? or is it something that should last the life of the vehicle. I know timing belts need to be changed but what about chains?? I want to keep this vehicle until 200,000 miles.
    when i had my 1999 2.0 litre tracker in the owners manual it said i had a maintance free timing chain. I really cant give you more than that.
  • blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    For over a year now, on my 2001, the driver's side power window goes up crooked half way up then stops until I guide it with my hand the rest of the way. Is this window easy and cheap to fix or is it something that's going to cost over $200-$300 dollars to fix? Thanks for any comments.
  • mjpowermjpower Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2001 tracker and all it is is the window track is wornout. It cost about $50 to fix if you change it out yourself.

Mine did the same thing and when I changed that the window stopped sticking and going up crooked, and jumping off track.
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    Hi, Sam Nicholson here...
    I suggest you go to the category "Chevrolet Tracker/
    Maintenance and Repair" and do a search (SNICHOL), for articles by me. I had my timing chain break, it wasn't pretty!
    Read the articles associated with my name and you will learn some good info.
    (I had about 120,000 miles on it when the chain broke and screwed the engine!)
    With a low miles, junk yard replacement engine, I now have about 228,000 miles on my 2001 tracker and it keeps on a tickin'...
    regards,
    Sam
  • chezhedchezhed Member Posts: 2
    The brackets that hold the rear window support on my 98 softop Tracker are broken...again. Epoxy didn't hold up long. The dealer says none are available part numbers are 96059991 and 96059992, left and right. Local junkyards are hardtops only.
    Anybody have any idea how to fix this problem? Car only has 88K miles and is sound...needed paint job and top only...got the paint, ordered a top but need new brackets!!!
  • chezhedchezhed Member Posts: 2
    98 brackets are plastic. Older ones are metal....same year Sidekick may work but I'm not sure.
    But you can get metal ones...and many other parts from Fritz at www.trackerranch.net Super good guy with great prices...wish I had found hime weeks ago.
  • olblue1olblue1 Member Posts: 2
    No they were an option
  • sporty982000sporty982000 Member Posts: 1
    hello,

i have 4 door, v6, 2001 chevy tracker, automatic. 4x4.

how do i get to and remove the spark plugs ? internal ?

where would ifind info, diagram or how to ?

poor guy who needs some help.

thanks

sporty
  • jtwelshjtwelsh Member Posts: 1
    Please help! in my 2001 chevy Tracker when i turn ( at slow speeds ) there is loud "clunk" coming from the front end. Has anyone else had this. if so how is it fixed? or what is it?
    Sounds like you might have a bad cv joint or ball joint. either way it needs looked at ASAP. is there anyway you can get the front end jacked up and wiggle each wheel to see if anything feel loose.
  • rcazrcaz Member Posts: 1
    As the title says I'll be driving the car and then the dash and headlights start to flicker(dim and then get bright again over and over) Now the 4WDlight comes on and flickers(I've noticed when the 4wd light comes on the headlights dim) Now the biggest part of the problem: The car won't start at all, I turn the ignition key and all the idiot light come on, then nothing the car doesn't even attempt to turn over. The battery is at 100% and all the fuses are good. has anyone had the same problem and if so what is the fix?
  • trackergal37trackergal37 Member Posts: 2
    It took my mechanic three trips and a new oxygen sensor to determine it wasn't the o2 sensor at all. It ended up being an $18 pigtail valve on the exhaust system. It took over 8 months to fix this - i went in and they told me it was my gas cap and replaced it. Two weeks later light came back on. Back to shop to get new o2 sensor and two weeks later light came back on. then i just drove it b/c obviously it wasn't important. Then I had to pass emissions so I went back in for the third time and said find it and fix it or i'm reporting you to bbb and wowsers it was fixed in less than 48 hours and hasn't been a problem since.
  • trackergal37trackergal37 Member Posts: 2
    I think my timing chain broke over the weekend. I was in town driving (about 30 mph) and started to hear a noise. Was in heavy traffic and couldn't get over to pull off the road. At the next light when I went to accelerrate I had no engine - lights came on and so I was able to move over into a lot (coasting) and had the tow truck take me to the shop. its a '01 4 cyl. with exactly 202,000 miles on it. Not sure if its the 2.0 or 1.6 L - are both of these interference engines and does it matter I wasn't going very fast or am i screwed b/c the engine died and that's all that matters so the damage is already done?? :cry:
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    Hi, I feel your pain!
    If you haven't yet, you might want to read the messages under the category of "Maintenance/Repairs" under my name.
    Long story short, if the engine made revolutions after the chain broke, you have bent valves!
    Now, how many, I couldn't tell you. Maybe only a couple of cylinders got hit.

Running a compression check on each cylinder will most likely tell you.
    Mine was running at about 3,000 rpm when mine broke, wiped 'em all out!
    Hope you have better luck!
    Regards,
    Snichol
  • adicleadicle Member Posts: 6
  • rferrellrferrell Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your leak stoped?
    I have basicly the same problem.
  • eddie1231eddie1231 Member Posts: 3
    How many oxygen sensors are on my 2.0 engine ? And would you change the 02 sensor before changing the egr valve
  • azn808pmptressazn808pmptress Member Posts: 2
    i would like to know if i could charge my 2000 chevy tracker's a/c with the refill in a can found at walmart or is it better if i recharge it at the shop, it will cost more thou.
  • azn808pmptressazn808pmptress Member Posts: 2
    i just bought my 2000 chevy tracker about 2 weeks ago and i got it serviced, the lube person told me that the tire cap on my driver side tire are green and they told me that they were inflated with nitrogen and that if i filled it up with regular air that the tir will explode, is there any reason why it green or thats nothing.
  • johndec2johndec2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone!
    Im trying to remove the drivers door panel to gain acces to the window regulator.
    I cant figure out how to remove the door open handle ,there was one screw i removed but cant get the panel off, :confuse:

Thanks for your help