Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    The power switch is not so much for shifting as it is for providing more power when climbing hills or quicker acceleration is needed. I suspect you very much need your transmission fluid replaced.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i know there probably is not a way for you to test this. but after i read your question a clogged cat converter popped into my mind. I had a car years ago that had that issue and it had NO power and when i would try to climb a hill it was even worse. It would let enough exhaust out quick enough,. Im not saying this is your issue but its a option
    btw what GEAR are you in when your going up a small hill @ 45mph?
    is the tire properly inflated?
  • notwalkingnotwalking Member Posts: 5
    *Thank you for your valued input.* I am not sure how to test, unless I
    remove the cat .converter. I will proceed tomorrow.
  • notwalkingnotwalking Member Posts: 5
    I had forgotten to state I was in third gear. Strange , on a flat road it will do 65mph.

thanks for asking :D:D
  • monkeywrench2monkeywrench2 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help me locate a few relays. My def fuse keeps blowing. I found this fuse to supply the following relays: Rear defrost,A/C condenser fan , A/C compressor, Blower motor ,ambient light sensor,abs.
    The prints in my Haynes manual show these connections but not there location. I know the blower motor relay is behind the glove box. I need to know where the rest are so I can start disconnecting to find the problem .

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • jdogg4firesjdogg4fires Member Posts: 2
    I too own a 2000 Chevy Tracker. I haven't yet looked to see if anyone has replied to your post on changing the time, but if not I can help. While looking at your stock stereo, in the bottom right hand corner of the face of the unit, (directly below the clock) you will notice that you have a "Seek" button that you can push to the left or to the right. In very small letters below this button engraved in the plastic are the letters "Hr" and "Min". Which is your hour and minute selector. To change the hour that is displayed, push and hold the left button for approx. 3 or so seconds until you hear a "beep" noise through your speakers. You can then push the left button as many times as needed to set the hour you desire on the stereo. To change the minutes, it is exactly the same, however, you will push and hold and select with the right button. Once you have selected the time you want, just leave the stereo alone and it will set itself after about 5 seconds and return to regular function mode. Hope I was helpful! ;)
  • jdogg4firesjdogg4fires Member Posts: 2
    Ok, here is the deal...I have a 2000 Chevy Tracker 2.0 4WD A/T. So far it's been a decent little vehicle. However, last winter, I kinda screwed myself over after getting hung-up in a small culvert ditch that was drifted over with snow. What essentially happened is I was unprepared for the hang-up and bottomed out on the snow drift causing all four tires to lift up off of the ground. I tried and tried to dig myself out, and after reaching the point of near freezing and where I thought I could get decent traction, I returned to the Tracker and tried to move it.

I made a very cold, very impatient, rookie mistake and tried to "rock" my vehicle back and forth. After a little while I began to make some headway and got impatient and began shifting from drive straight to reverse w/o letting the tranny come to rest. Being it is an automatic, this was not a good idea! It finally caught up to me and about the time i was freeing myself up, I heard a loud "clunk" that shook the vehicle, and as I shifted to reverse and was able to back out, the front differential made a horrible grinding noise that shook the vehicle.

I have not yet taken too many steps into checking out the problem. My 4WD engages fine, but when in reverse or turning left or right while engaged, it makes the grinding noise and shakes the vehicle.

With a good ole' Indiana winter rapidly approaching, I need to resolve this problem so I can have my 4WD back!! If anyone has any ideas as too my possible problem and steps to fix it, I would be ever so thankful for your response! I am a Volunteer Firefighter who lives out in the county and needs a response vehicle!! And I cant afford a truck right now! Haha!

Thank you to all who read this and attempt to help!! :blush:
  • sv9779sv9779 Member Posts: 4
    Well that was way too easy! I never even thought of tire pressure. They were down to 20 psi. I inflated all the tires and it drives much better.
    Thanks very much for the help
  • guldguyguldguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 model that I just bought and it has exactly the same problem. It is driving me crazy. Did you ever find our what is causing it? Thanks!
  • palkopalko Member Posts: 16
    Here's the explanation from Chevrolet: It's normal for this engine. My explanation: There are 4 chains and 8 sprockets in this motor. I believe @ 50 mph the engine passes thru a first critical resonance and @ 60 mph it passes thru a secondary resonance, due to all these sprockets and chains. It seems to be a characteristic of this engine. This may also explain why this motor soesn't get great gas mileage. There is too much mechanical friction in the motor. I'd never buy another Suzuki designed product again. One thing which made it less noisy was to switch over to Mobil-1 synthetic 5w-30. I change the oil and filter (GM filter) every 6000 miles with this synthetic. Chevy recommends not to exceed 7000 miles on synthetic.
  • jdonnerjdonner Member Posts: 1
    How do you open the tailgate when the door handle won,t work ? 2003 tracker 4 dr. hardtop. Thanks Jim
  • tim112tim112 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 4 door tracker 5 speed my 4 wheel drive wont engagefully when in 4x4 you hear cliching on driverside front wheel .if you take it out of 4x4 you can still hear it. if you back up 10 feet or so then go forward it will stop . some times it will go into 4x4 and it is fine?
  • kanuchikanuchi Member Posts: 8
    i bought this for $3000 with 38000 now entering close to 40000 even though it runs great i will change the plugs,air filter and fuel filter Were is the fuel filter located?
    and would you recommend any other thing i should do at 40k i change the oil regularly also what is the best price i can get a soft top
  • rpa740rpa740 Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar problem with my 2000 Tracker and it turned out to be a sway bar link.
  • Devil_youknowDevil_youknow Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering, how much would a oil pump for a 2002 Chevy Tracker costs to replace? My oil light came on this morning and it has oil in it so no issues there.

The oil change place checked it out and is pretty sure it is the oil pump. Just wondering if anybody ever had this problem and how much it costs them.
  • JoshuaVnyrdJoshuaVnyrd Member Posts: 1
    I have broken the outside door handle off and woundering if there was anyone who know how or who knew of a place I could find out how to do this repair.

I have yet to take off the interior door panel. I would like to have a little knoledge before jumping into this. Any help would be appricated.
    when was the last time you did a oil change? what about the oil filter? i would replace them or at least the oil filter before i would think about removing the engine and having a oil pump replaced. But if i was to guessi would say well over $1200.
    when was the last time the air filter was replaced and fuel filter was replaced? I run from time to time a GOOD fuel injection cleaner in my tank like seafoam. When i had my 2.0 litre tracker it was touchy with that and when i would run a F.I. cleaner it would always get peppy again. Now with my 2.5 litre v6 tracker i dont feel the power loss as much. but i still run some in there from time to time.
  • BigWhitBigWhit Member Posts: 1
    Ok so my daughter owns a 2003 chevy tracker. She's had it for a couple of months now but about a month or so ago the interior lights would not turn off. Unless you turn it off manual. I went through and checked all the pin switches, and also checked for shorts in the wiring. My question is that is there a dome light relay. if so where is it located. IF there is not one I am willing to take sugestions.

Thanks for the help.
    Thanks for your reply. I have had a professional oil change every 3000 miles but something was wrong as the engine seized up after my original posting and I may need a new engine. : (

Thanks for your message!
    I installed a cabin air filter for the first time on my 2004 tracker ZR-2 at 40,000 miles. I bought one off of ebay for $20 instead of paying the $70 chevy wanted... Well i forgot all about the cabin air filters i installed and 20,000 miles later i installed a new set. Well let me tell you! them cabin air filters were solid black.. So thats the air we breathe... And in 20000 miles my cabin air filters looked Worse than the air filter the engine breathes with.... I was shocked. im glad i replaced them.. I had no idea them air filter actually work.. Once again i bought a set off of ebay...
  • pk306pk306 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there.....
    I think i know what your issue is.....
    I have an 02 Tracker that had the same problem.
    First off, there are 2 fuse blocks (one under the dash, and the second is on the passenger side under the hood close to the top of the strut).... My issue was I kept blowing fuses for the A/C and blower motor. After changing the fuses about 6 times.... I decided to do a bit of wire tracing..... LOOK close at the wires leaving the fuse block and relays that are under the hood.... These wires run over the top of the strut tower and will rub and short out on the top of the strut bolts. I have pics available. :)
  • pk306pk306 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there.....
    Check the rear door for proper alignment.... This was one of the issues I had. You can test this theory with a small wad of paper (or similar) between the door and the switch. If the door is out of alignment, then the wad of paper will take up the slack and push the switch to a closed state. (You will have to wait for about 30 seconds for the lights to go out). If this solved your problem, just take a block of wood and a hammer and hit the door catch towards the front of the vehicle. (You might have to do this a few times till you move it the correct ammount). Also remember to tighten the 2 screws on the door catch as well.
  • rrwtrakrrrwtrakr Member Posts: 2
    Replaced the fuel pump on my 1995 Geo Tracker, 1.6 16 valve engine after the vehicle quit running. Determined that the fuel pump was not working & replaced it. My tracker still won't run. The new pump's working but it doesn't seem to be sending the fuel. Any suggestions? If it's the fuel pump relay, where is it on this machine. Many thanks.
    Did you change the fuel filter? It's possible you have a blocked fuel filter. How do you know the fuel pump is working? By sound after installed? If so then I don't think the relay is bad. The other possibility is the fuel pressure regulator.
  • rrwtrakrrrwtrakr Member Posts: 2
    The fuel pump is humming but there's no fuel making its way up to the fuel regulator. The relay is making a clicking noise and the fuel lines all appear to be good. Any suggestions about what to check out next? I really appreciate the help. I've found two relays under the dash right next to each other. Is there another one for the fuel pump somewhere that I'm missing? When I checked out these two relays, the previous owner had a jumper wire instead of the original relay in the 4 prong plug. What relay goes in here? Do you have a number. Both relays have juice on the top & nothing on the bottom. Talk about a challenge. It only has 114,000 original miles on it & the automatic & 4 wheel drive work fine (when it's running). At this point, if it wasn't in such good shape, I'ld scrap it.
  • TRANSITSLAVETRANSITSLAVE Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1999 TRACKER. IT IS GETTING VACUUM TO THE ACTUATOR ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL. NO LEAKS IN ANY TUBES OR HOSES.
    THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT SPINS BUT DOESN'T ENGAGE IN THE DIFFERENTIAL AND HENCE THE 4WD DOESN'T WORK. I THINK THE PROBLEM IS IN THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL. IS IT POSSIBLE TO LACK VACUUM IN THE DIFFERENTIAL? WHAT IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE FIX? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
  • kmbrlycckmbrlycc Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Chevy Tracker has served me well other than the inordinate amount of rush along the passenger side underneath the "running board" or whatever. I think I also have to investigate the rust cross beams thing..I paid for that problem dearly when I went to get a brake job last spring.
    Now I have a problem with my hatchback not opening. When I put my fingers up underneath to open it...it seems to be already in the "up" position to do so but it does nothing. I dont relish getting gouged on fixing this type of thing at the dealership. Has anyone encountered this problem? I must get this door open so I can just clean out my car and actually use the back seat!
    Also, the radio doesn't get good reception. Do I need to replace my antennae? Will that fix it?
    Thanks for any help.
  • blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone relate to this noise on my 2001 tracker? The front drivers side wheel, when the temperature is 30 degrees and lower, there is a "rubbing" (root,root, root)sound that will go away after about 3-4 miles of driving. If it sits for more than 4 hours it will do it again. I took it to my mechanic today and he took the wheel off but didn't see nothing unusual. Happened the last 2 winters! Thanks in advance.
  • shadetree53shadetree53 Member Posts: 1
    I was having the same problem. What I found was the bolts that secure the differential mount to the cross member were gone. Put new bolts in. Problem solved. The tell-tale signs were marks in the bell housing, marks in a support bracket, and dimples in the oil pan from the differential housing mount, driveshaft, and yoke rising under torque. I could see the bolt heads that secure the front drive shaft to the differential yoke were somewhat rounded off. They had made contact with these other parts. Hope this helps Good luck.

shadetree53
  • mylespttmylesptt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 chevy tracker 2.0L 4x4, the brakes are soft and go all the way to the floor when I push on them hard. I have replaced the pads and shoes, bled the brakes, can find no signs of leakage anywhere, not low on brake fluid. Anyone know if the power brake booster could cause this? I would think that if the booster were bad it would just feel like manual brakes but am running out of options! Don't want to start replacing $200 parts just hoping it might fix the problem. Thanks
    Here are a couple suggestions.(1) Look close where the master cylinder bolts to the booster. If there is any sign of leakage of brake fluid on the surface of the booster usually at the bottom where the master cylinder bolts to the booster, then your master brake cylinder is going bad. You won't see it in the fluid level change. I had this happen on my 2004 tracker. Soft pedal feel. (2). On these back brakes, I've noticed that if you have to readjust them, there needs to be a slight drag on the drum to shoe to get effective braking action. It's also possible that your self adjuster is rusted shut. Either lubricate or replace. When taking off the back drum, look to see if there is a rust built up on the drum edge . If so then this needs to be ground flush with the braking surface or the whole drum put on a brake lathe and turned down. This will enable proper seeting of shoe to drum. Also look close at your brake cylinders in the back to see if there is any brake fluid on their surface. I had one chevy with a rear leaky cylinder, but the dash brake light never came on. If you can see the brake lines underneath makes sure there are no signs of leakage. If all this checks out then you'll be into a vacuum booster replacement. In all the GMs and Fords (mistake) I've had , I never had a booster go bad. Good luck!
  • sensei118sensei118 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what engine that i can replace the stock engine with on my 1995 2dr 4x4 to increase power?
    you can onlt replace with the same that came in it.. even if you were able to put somethign in alot bigger and more powerful you would rip your drive train apart. short life span on all the parts.
    my tracker (2004 ZR-2) just started doing the samething.. before i read this thread i was out lastnight and i was 99% sure it was the rear door switch. when i had the door open and i was able to press the switch all the way in the light would go out.. but with the door closed it wouldnt stay out. and it was a pain when i was driving.. So since i was hundreds of miles from home with no tools i removed the dome light bulbs to not drain the battery..
  • trackerguy1trackerguy1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1990 chevy tracker can't find the hood release can some one help
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think it's in the glove box?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • trackerguy1trackerguy1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks tidester I finlly found it
    have 1998 chev tracker 4wd soft top with 41000 miles
    getting ready to do tune up (plugs,air filter AND FUEL FILTER CAN
    SOMEBODY TELL ME WHERE THE FUEL FILTER IS LOCATED??

Thanks

Kanuchi
    other day my radio & antenna would not work
    and the clock also
    i put a new fuse even though it didnt need it and the clock works but not the radio

any suggestions,i cant figure out why even if it was the antenna(which before I got
    the car the antenna was replaced) why the radio is completely dead not a sound??
    bad enough out of work just one problem after another
    check engine light has been on since i bought the car
    mechanic said it is in the heater oxygen circuit but he said could take 5 minutes to locate or 2 hours does that make sense he said it could be dust on it

pls advise

Kanuchi
    The fuel filter should be somewhere between the gas tank and the rear wheel well on the passenger side of the vehicle and above the axle.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Does the radio have an internal fuse?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    thank yo so much

kanuchi
  • jonjon5jonjon5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to convert my Trackers crank windows and manual locks to electric.
    a) Did the Tracker (98) even have electric windows and locks?
    b) has anyone ever done this with aftermarket or other parts?
    b) where/how would I get the parts?

Thanks.
  • tecc10tecc10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chey Tracker, does it have a cabin filter and if it does where is it located. Thank You
    Wayne
  • eskymopackeskymopack Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar power steering issue as many have here. Feels like you've lost the "power" in the P.S.
    Hard spots as you turn the wheel.

Well, lifted and inspected everything from the rack & pinion to all suspension parts and steering knuckles and shafts, no problems.

Looked at the P.S. Pump and noticed in the back of it, is a single wire connector that is plugged into the "power steering pressure switch". Checked it, and it was corroded from the elements. It is a slip-on style single wire connector, so it was easy to clean off, and added some dielectric grease.

Fixed! Instantly!!!

Can imagine a dealership saying it was the R&P and it was going to cost $650.00. I'm sure they would've also cleaned that connection for that price!!!
  • hotone1972hotone1972 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 chevy tracker and the power light came on and i don't know why it came on but i cannot get it to go off...and i don't have the manual for it so i was wondering if anyone can help me as this is all new to me...ty for the help.. my tracker is also 4 wd