Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• andyross33andyross33 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    My '02 2DR 4WD Tracker started making some excessive vibration and so I took it in to get checked out. The driveshaft U-joint decided to snap in two and wedged itself into the transmission yoke. Now both the yoke and driveshaft need replacing.
    Any ideas where I can find these parts? Other than the dealership (which of course are ridiculous in price), these seem hard to come by. How much should I be expecting to pay for these parts?
    Thanks in advance.
  • andyross33andyross33 Member Posts: 2
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    Salvage yards! 8) Dont forgot to look for suzuki parts also if you go calling junk/salvage yards. They might not know they are the same.
  • mylespttmylesptt Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2000 tracker 4x4 with auto transmission and 2.0 liter. problem is it accelerates fine in first gear, when it shifts into second is accelerates really slow, then once it gets to third everything is fine again. If I hit the gas it kicks down a gear for a second, revs real high then shifts back into second and continues to plug along. It accelerates but really slow. It's almost like it is shifting too soon and having trouble speeding up due to low rpm. like I said, I just bought it and not sure if changing tranny fluids and getting a tune up will help. any ideas?
    I have another question for you all. I just bought a 2000 4wd with 2.0 liter engine. I really like everything about the vehicle except the power. what can anyone recommend to boost the power? I have googled it a bunch and keep finding ads to buy performance chips but am very skeptical, anyone used any of these or know which ones are reputable vs. waste of money?
  • trackerdan1trackerdan1 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for the actual trim pieces that go around the soft top area (soft top locks in to these pieces). They are plastic and have cracked from the sun.

Are there any web sites out there that have these?

Thanks, Dan.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, the truck is a 2000 2 dr Tracker.
  • kylbornkylborn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Tracker convertible with the same problem. I couldn't find what you are looking for either and ended up repairing my old ones with fiberglass and epoxy. I suppose you may be able to call up a chevy dealer and ask if they have replacemennt parts.
    Fiberglass and epoxy is an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that one. It is certainly strong enough to withstand the task at hand. Thanks, will give that a shot.
  • davefreydavefrey Member Posts: 2
    What do I need to do to tow my 1998 tracker behind our RV?
  • eddie1231eddie1231 Member Posts: 3
    I have read there is a pcm reset switch located on the stering wheel shaft column i need more specific location to find this reset ,i need your help.
    I don't know why but for some reason neither rear seat belt will work. I absolutely cannot get them to release. Anybody else have this issue? When I got the vehicle the rear passenger side seat belt didn't work, I only have one child so I just had him sit on the driver side. Today the driver side seat belt siezed up on me. Is this a chevy issue? The carfax showed up clean so I assume (hope) it wasn't an accident that caused this issue. I have ordered replacement seat belts but not happy about having to spend so much money on seat belts when you would think that would be a part that should work with no problems. I have never read about this happening to other people, any thoughts?
  • eddie1231eddie1231 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me what the part name is for this 18 dollar valve ?
  • george114george114 Member Posts: 10
    I have gone through five alternators since September of 2007. I am on alternator number six now. The alternators seem to be good until I turn on the Air Conditioning, then the alternators die. I tried putting an ammeter in series with the alternator and the ammeter which is supposed to read up to 90+ amperes went up in smoke when I turned on the AC for about two miles. I am now driving the Tracker with the alternator #6 seeming to be working OK, but I am not using the AC. This is very uncomfortable at this time of the year since I live in Florida. Could the A/C Compressor Control Module be causing too much drain on the alternators and burning them up? Thanks.
  • marialuisa27marialuisa27 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 geo tracker convertible it runs great I'm the original owner. My only problem is that I need a new back window the old one finally cracked. I called a few dealers and since the truck has been discontinued they said they couldn't help me. I tried Auto parts Warehouse some time ago and they couldn't help either. I live in Ny. any ideas?
    thank you
    This is a fairly easy fix:

1. Ebay has new complete top sets for your year tracker and they are really cheap. Simply remove the old top, install the new for under $200.

2. I did this last year - find some thick clear vinyl, remove the rear window section and take it to a car upholstery or boat repair shop with an industrial sewing machine and pay them to sew in the new rear window.

Regards, Dan
  • marialuisa27marialuisa27 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dan,
    Thank you so much for your help, I'll look into your suggestions.

Maria luisa
    Them performance chips just trick your Ecu into thinking you are running in colder temps than what you are running in.. By doind this it forced the ecu to give the air fuel mixture more fuel.. In the time of high gas prices i wouldnt do this. as far as you needing more power. I would do a basic tune up and run a can of seafoam in the gas tank. Also make sure the fuel filter has been replaced. I noticed alot of people who do their own maintenance rarely change the fuel filter. Btw on a tracker it is very easy to do... My 2.0 tracker loved seafoam.. my 2.5 tracker doesnt care either way.. what i mean is 2.0 felt a difference aftrwards, 2.5 not really...
    Trackers are know for A/C problems.. In my 1999 tracker my a/c completely stopped working. Too be it sounds like instead of replacing alternators you need to be putting that money into getting the a/c fixed. "just my opinion". If you do a search on chevy tracker air condition problems you will find a ton of info...
  • jclljcll Member Posts: 3
    Guys, I need your help. I'm looking for a power door lock actuator for a 2001 Chev. Tracker (Driver door). I called the dealer and they asked me $250.00. They are telling me that I need to buy the complete door assembly. I tried all possible autoparts and didn't get any answers. I'm sure that the actuator (door lock motor) would be no more than $30.oo. Any ideas??????? Thanks
    have you tried ebay yet?
  • rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    Yes, you'll need the complete door assembly. I replaced mine recently and it is one piece.

Roger.
  • tracker20tracker20 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 4x4 Chevy Tracker with a 2.0L 4 cylinder motor, 4 speed automatic transmission. It shifts a little hard and gets poor gas mileage. It doesn't seem to matter when you put the power switch in power or normal it shifts the same. Could it be that it is stuck in the power mode. Any suggestions or answers would be very much appreciated.
  • donramdonram Member Posts: 6
    Since changing front rotors, pads and turning rear drums and brake bleading, we have been having severe rear end shudder when braking. There is a pressure regulator in the rear brake line at the differential. Could this be in need of adjustment?
  • jkj66jkj66 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 98 Tracker - it looked just like it was coming from the front of the oil pan. What was happening was that oil was coming past the front seal, down the engine and out the hole where the crank shaft position sensor comes through the pan. To look at the engine with the timing belt cover off, there was hardly any noticable oil, but replacing the seal took care of it. To get at it, a bunch of stuff had to come off, starting with the radiator but it was fairly easy and now it's not leaking a drop. Hope it helps.

JKJ
  • palkopalko Member Posts: 16
    I've owned my 2004 chevy tracker 2.5L v-6 for a little over 4 years now. Ever since i bought this I noticed that when driving @50 mph, there is a distinct engine/drivetrain resonance felt thru the vehicle. Once past 50 mph, it diminishes until 60 mph, whne a secondary resonance is felt. The dealer has always told me this is normal for this vehicle. has anyone out htere experienced this same effect?..thanks ..palko
  • rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    I have the same vehicle, but have not observed a resonance throughout the vehicle. I'll be sure to listen, feel for it, however. Roger.
  • soccer_linzsoccer_linz Member Posts: 1
    Dan please help! I have a 1995 Geo Tracker and just bought a replacement top for the entire thing. I've put the entire thing on EXCEPT for the back window. I can't seem to get the thing on no matter how many times I re-read the instructions. Please email me [email protected] Thanks!!!!!!!!!1
  • bigp81bigp81 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 2dr Tracker with 145K..I was wondering if anyones had a problem(s) similar to the ones I have encountered?

1. In regards to the headlights..For some weird reason, the drivers side headlight will not work if the Windshield Washer Fluid Resevior is low..And the passenger side headlight low beam just doesn't work at all. I thought it was the bulb and it was replaced. The high beam works..The strangest thing to is that the lights will Pulse when you drive sometimes..I know that the standard way of knowing its the Alternator would be if your at a stop, the lights dim..then when you resume driving they get brighter. Thats not the case here..has anyone encountered this?

2. The car when at a stop makes a HORRID noise. Its basically like theres something lose and is vibrating..the car sounds like a Mack truck when it does this. I have no idea if this is something with the frame rusting, the suspension, or the exhaust.

The only other problems I think it has I am sure I know what they are..those two are the ones I don't understand. I think the vehicle may need a new tie-rod. As bad as it sounds..this is my 3rd GM and I've not had very much luck with them.

If anyone can help I'd be quite appreciative. I can be emailed at [email protected]

Thanks!
    -P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I can be emailed at ...

Let's keep the discussion here. To do otherwise deprives our members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bigp81bigp81 Member Posts: 3
    No one has any ideas of what may be wrong with this vehicle? Other than it needs to be brought a field and be shot? Heh..now the driverside window is completely off track..its trying to come out of the door frame..I think its trying to escape!! :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    As a wild guess it sounds like you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Perhaps the weight of the reservoir bearing down on its support allows contact while a near empty reservoir does not. Try jiggling it up and down and see whether it has any effect on your lights.

I will also add that some people get turned off by requests to email solutions to problems. (Why should they take the time to do that if you have no intention of coming back?)

But, since you are back, maybe someone who has had similar experiences will chime in and lend a hand. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steveh1155steveh1155 Member Posts: 6
    I have a '99 Tracker 4X4 w/2.0 L & 123,000 miles. I didn't drive it for a week and today I tried to start it & when the engine turned over It sounded like 2 or more cylinders had no compression. Can the valves stick on these? Finally after cranking for a bit it started and now sounds normal with a smooth quiet idle. Don't know if this is related or not, but the week before I put a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank thinking it would remove carbon deposits. Anybody know if this can cause the valves to stick or not seat or cause any other damage?
  • chullchull Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Geo Tracker 1.6 engine light comes on and goes out once in a while but it stays on 90% of the time it runs perfectly 150,000 miles on it do you think this pigtail will solve my problem ?? and where is it exactly--Chuck
  • lisa75lisa75 Member Posts: 3
    Hi! I have a 2000 chevy tracker and today my exterior driver door handle got broke off. Its been a nightmare trying to find one. Does anyone know any where online I could purchase this? Thanks in advance!
  • mmal1968mmal1968 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get this fixed? I 'm on my third alternator in a year same symptoms
  • george114george114 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I did get the problem fixed. After going through four NAPA alternators I brought the fourth alternator back to NAPA and talked to the manager. I received a full refund. I then purchased an alternator that was rebuilt in my local area with heavy duty diodes. This alternator seems to be holding up to the Trackers needs. I have installed an amp meter to monitor the current draw and the max is less then 60 amps at night with all the lights on, the radio and the AC running. I would suggest trying to locate a service shop that rebuilds alternators and requesting one to be rebuilt for heavy duty operation. Good luck.
    Where is this 18.00pigtailvalve at on the exaust????
  • amismawmawamismawmaw Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle but not the same problem. However, I had a 2001 that did this. I was really worried about it so I traded it in for the one I have now. I was afraid the transmission was going out. I really noticed it on the winding road up the hill on the way home.
    I still need help?????
  • zrandolphzrandolph Member Posts: 3
    anyone know where i can pick up a remanufactured 2000 chevy tracker ecm? My check engine light is on saying that the backup ecm unit is damaged and i am having the hardest time finding a matching ecm for my tracker. it's a 2000 2.0 liter, automatic with a/c...please help!!!
  • zrandolphzrandolph Member Posts: 3
    hey guys maybe you can help... my check engine light is on and the pcm code says its the backup ecm unit...any easy fixes besides buying a remanned ecm? know anywhere i can get an ecm for a 2000 2.o liter with a/c and an auto tranny? help!
  • jdraxlerjdraxler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 tracker that used to sound horrible when stopped. It started when I had only 3,000 miles. Two different GM dealers tried to locate it. They re did suspension etc. My son found that it was the hood of the car. A few rubber stick on washers really helped. Now has 135,000K on it. I had to replace the washers once. No more horrible rattling sound. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it is a cheap fix. Worth a try.
    JD
  • kanuchikanuchi Member Posts: 8
  • sv9779sv9779 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Tracker. Lately the steering seems harder to turn and it won't return to center after a turn. I have to turn it back manually. The pump is full of fluid, I don't see any leaks and the belt appears ok. Any ideas?
  • sv9779sv9779 Member Posts: 4
    Have you ckecked the harmonic balancer??? My battery was going dead on my 2000 Tracker. I checked the alternator output and found it low ( I don't remember exacly what it was). As I was testing I remember thinking that the belt looked like it was running a liitle slow. Long story short...After a new alternator and another dead battery I found the balancer had broken. It has the pulley mounted on it with a rubber between the balancer and the pulley. The rubber had broken so the pully was spinning on the balancer and wouldn't come up to full speed. You can check it easily by marking the balancer and pulley. Then run the engine to see if the marks come out of alignment. The new balancer was $200.00. but problem sloved.
  • notwalkingnotwalking Member Posts: 5
    45MPH going up small hills
    2000 Chevrolet Tracker 1.6 stick shift* replaced fuel filter/air filter/gas cap. Removed EGR/ no carbon/all coils ohm 23/ terminals #2 & #5 12.37vdc to ground. I pulled codes 420,400,440 and 455. I know there are emission control issues but can not solve the loss of power problem.
  • tysonsupertysonsuper Member Posts: 2
    I have 2002 Mailibu it is good car in general but I notice many times that sometime power windows lock/unlock sometime works and sometime not, and also dash board lights some time on sometime not.. before I have startin problem becuase of theft system.. then i took advice and i solve start problem my just keeping key inside for 10 minutes. any one can have same problem like me..
    when was the last time you had the transmission fluid and filter replaced?