Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• damianipdamianip Member Posts: 3
    I'm a bad example for price comparisons because I got my Focus through the Ford X-Plan (program for Ford mfg. partners).

However, I got a 2002 ZTW with ABS, 5 speed manual trans, and side air bags for about $17040.00. including destination. Color is Ft. Knox Gold.

On the positive side, the dealer called today and said the car was in. Last Tuesday, Ford said I wouldn't have it until the second week of December. Go figure. I should have it Monday evening.

PD
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I bought my wagon in Dec. 1999 and have 16,000 miles on it and have no complaints on this car. The recalls are really very minor.....and the car has so many good qualities: interior space is incredible, handling is sport like, alot of features, styling in and out, doors that shut with that quality "thud", great base stereo system. for the money....a great car.
  • kostemakostema Member Posts: 7
    No problems...yet...sooo...thus far...We are quite impressed with this wagon...

Great highway mileage now .. around 34 at 65-70mph...First 2500 miles only got about 25, though...

My wife and I both really enjoy driving the car...both in town and on the road...unusual...

easy entry/exit...

good radio/cd sound...

Lots of storage space...

In our opinion, the wagon is the best looking Focus..and the most practical.

Great steering, handling...you think you are
    moving slower than you actually are...tend to go over the speed limit...

Acceleration is OK; could be better...

The seats are firm and at first appeared to lack enough lower back support...However we found that the firmness makes them particularly comfortable on long drives...The seats/backs are firm enough that I take the wallet out of my back pocket on long trips...

Highway noise
    Wind noise: good
    Engine noise: good
    Road noise: OK, better if you close the luggage
    shade.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    And thanks for sharing your notes. Glad to hear your Ford Focus wagon has been serving you well. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience.... ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I've been looking at the Focus Wagon for sometime and agree it is the best looking Focus and maybe the best looking Ford and probably the most practical as well. It has to have the biggest cargo area of any small car. I measured the cargo area up to the back of the front seat with the front seat pushed all the way forward (man those seats move way forward!) and there is enough length for an adult o rtwo to sleep in (granted, emergency camping sleeping). Is there some way to get the floor flat so that sleeping in there would be practical? It appears the rear seat back doesn't fold down quite flat and then the seat bottom (flipped forward) is in the way. I suppose you could unbolt and remove the rear seats and rig a small platform for a camping trip but that does seem like a lot of effort. Anyone come up with a way to utilize this potential capability?
  • rrramos2rrramos2 Member Posts: 1
    Do I really have to buy smaller tires to put chains on this car (2001 Focus Wagon). I think anyone who drives in the snow often is using studded tires. I'm in the LA area where it's dry in the valley and can be deep snow in the mountains a half hour away. RRR
  • tipearsotipearso Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, this is my first post.
    I've had my focus wagon since march of this year. I've already put 20k miles on it and am fairly pleased with it. But I have a reallly annoying problem that ford has so far been unable to fix:
    Now that it's cold my rear hatch has stopped closing properly. I have to slam it incredibly hard to get it to close. So hard in fact that I altered an ongoing "rattle" that was coming from somewhere in the back of my car.
    The Ford dealership replaced that latch in the hatch and in doing so, failed to properly replace the rear trim above the liscense plate AND managed to dent the hatch as well by trying to close it!!! Naturally I didn't notice it until I left the dealer....
    Anyway, they replaced the latch and it still won't close! I'm out of town so I haven't taken it back to them but have spoken to the service manager on the phone and he seemed generally concerned. We'll see....
    Has anyone else had this problem with the rear door?
    While you're waiting here for more feedback, you should also check with Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related to your vehicle problem.

In case you're not aware, a TSB is usually issued when there are lots of reports on a particular problem. Also, if you're vehicle is fairly new, it may not be a bad idea to check for TSBs for the same make/model of the prior year. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    About a month ago our wagon began hesitating a bit cruising downhill...then a week ago the
    check engine light came on...and stays on all the time...taking it in to the dealer this week...anyone have any ideas?...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    To accommodate all Focus owners, the Ford Focus ZX3 Owners has been changed to Ford Focus Owners on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Station Wagons.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I've had my focus wagon since Dec. of 1999 and I absolutely love it. I'm sorry if some have had problems with their focus' but I just can't relate to that. Good car so far.............
    Dealer replaced part - DFPE...highway hesitation gone...no check engine lite...idle smooth..

10000 mi on our 2002 wagon....this has been the only problem...really like its ride...
    DFPE part was replaced...car was hesitating at highway speeds...idle a bit rough...check engine light was on...

We're back in saddle now...it is a pleasure to drive this car...
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Not to knock the Focus, but would you spend upwards of $20K on a loaded wagon when so many other higher end choices are just a few grand more? What is Focus wagon depreciation like?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would, if it proves to be reliable - which it may. Remember the ZTW is pretty well loaded. Leather seats are standard, and isn't it 18k not upwards of 20k? The Focus is still cheaper than a Jetta wagon, handles and rides just as well, and has more room inside. Of course you can get the Jetta with that nifty little TDI engine. : ^ b

I am much more interested in a nice small car than a larger car that isn't as good.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    The Focus was just named the highest quality car in Germany.

'Ford Focus -- Number One in Quality – The Ford Focus is the German car industry leader in reliability. The German TÜV, an authoritative industry body controlling and approving quality standards of industrial and consumer products, declared the Focus the leader for cars between one and three years old, in their ‘Auto Report 2002’ published on January 29, 2002.'
    Can you fit 2 bikes with the front wheels on inside a Focus wagon?
    Yes - easily. I don't own a focus, but I looked very closely at one a while back and that was one of my considerations.

I noticed you asked the same question in several places, and I think most wagons could hold two adult bicycles, including the Jetta and Passat. A friend of mine races bicycles, and she could fit two cycles in the back of a Ford Probe. She may have taken the wheel off of one of them can't remember. I can put two in my Integra if I take the two front wheels off.
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Hmmm....

I don't seem to remember Focii having a problem with oil sludge in THEIR engines (unlike is alleged with some recent Toyotas...and Toyota IS providing some compensation for SOME owners...) ( By the way, I FIRST read of this issue on Edmunds news site. Good work, Edmunds. For more details, just go see alt.autos.toyota in the newsgroups on USENET
  • tanthony2tanthony2 Member Posts: 2
    We've had our Focus for just over 2 years. It's in right now for rear bearings, but what's more concerning is that at least 4 times now, when I bring the car to a stop it feels like I forgot to take my foot off the gas. The car wants to keep going. 2 of the times this has happened at a stop sign that has a school crossing!!! The car has AT so I shift it in to neut and the engine races like it's possessed and comes back when the gas pedal is kicked. The dealer of course ran all the diagnostic tests they could think of and found nothing (surprise). I refused to take the car back, consequently the service manager is driving it this weekend to see if he can experience the problem. While he and I tested the car, I confronted him about the quality of this vehicle, he took off his "Ford Hat" and confided that it's certainly not the car they expected. He also was VERY suggestive about me purchasing an extended warranty!! telling me how much a new transmission costs etc. While I appreciated his honesty, I sure felt worse about this purchase with each subsequent comment that came from this mgr's mouth (we've had most of the other problems reported on this site). BTW a new AT is $3000.00 CAD!! Anyone have any comments about the throttle issue? How about the AT reliabilty?
  • tanthony2tanthony2 Member Posts: 2
    I did some further research on the problem I mentioned above, Ford did have a recall on 2000 models for the exact problem (symptom) as I have experienced. However, they say that my car was not part of the recall. How can this be?? I have the same model, the same problem, built in the same time frame as those recalled, but my car is not one of them!!! Please help me out if you've gone through such a thing.

Thanks
  • kzciolfikzciolfi Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, this is a first post. I've scanned all the notes and can relate to many stories. This is my second Focus wagon. First was a gem. Drove it 40K miles in 14 months and traded it in. Second wagon has had many problems, but not the mildew smell. After four repairs for stalling I filed for Lemon Law Arbitration in NH. Ford asked for a final attempt, but the car died on the highway and they have not been able to fix it yet. Ford has offered to reacquire the vehicle. The terms are terrible. Has anyone had experience with Ford replacing a car? If the dealer is unable to repair the car, does the warranty have any meaning? Any help is greatly appreciated?
    and sorry to hear about your Ford Focus problems. While you're waiting here for a response, you may also want to try these discussions: Ford Focus Wagons Problems and/or Ford Focus Maintenance & Care. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • modeladoctormodeladoctor Member Posts: 2
    I too have a non-solvable rear rattle at low speeds. First dealer said it was spare tire & Jack. I took it to a different dealer after removing spare, jack and all mats and rear cover. They said it was rear shocks and replaced them. That didn't solve the rattle. Next time they said it was the rear hatch hinge bolts and kept it a day to fix it. Got it back with smudges on the top trim and a rear license plate bent out at a 30 deg angle but still it rattles. I have another free day tomorrow and I'll try again! I now have almost 32K miles and it will be out of warranty in 4K more miles. I guess I'll just have to turn up the radio to cover the rattle! Other than that rattle I like it very much - getting 32 mpg on the hwy at 70 mph.
  • melarmsmelarms Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a Focus wagon for one week, and it doesn't appear to be getting good gas mileage. Based on just one fill-up, I figure I got 24 miles per gallon on highway driving. I expected to get at least 30. It's almost as if I'm watching the gas gauge move! I do drive about 70 mph on the highway. What kind of mileage are you all getting?
    Just a few thoughts: Is this a brand new Ford Focus wagon? If so, you can expect your gas mileage to improve over time... as the engine breaks in. Also, individual driving habits (i.e. jack rabbit starts/frequent braking) can lower your gas mileage up to 33 percent according to some studies I've read.

Did you let your vehicle idle a lot in the first week while checking out all the different features? Going over 55 mph (you said "70 mph") will lower your highway mpg considerably.

Anyway, if your dealer service rules out any problems with your emissions system, then I'd have to speculate that it's related to one of the above factors. Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your Ford Focus Wagon experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • harhirharhir Member Posts: 29
    Hi Melarms
    I own a 2001 Focus Wagon with 5 Speed.
    In the city with running A/C I get about 21 to 22 MPG. On the Highway I get about 30 to 32 MPG.
    I do not know how Ford calculates the MPG but the official values are not real. I was not suprised because I knew the values Ford Germany has published for the German Version and these figures are almost the same I have calculated on my US-Focus. So far I never trusted any official MPG postings from any manufacturer because they are not realistic.
    Has anybody information about this problem with some Wagons in the northern states where the backwheels got loose because of rust caused by salt?
    I own a 2001 Wagon with rear disk brakes and want to take this car back with me to Europe when I am moving back in 1 or 2 years. Because of the regular usage of salt on german roads I just want to check if I could expect the same problems.
    So far I have been living in Texas where salt is completely unknown.
    Thanks for any hints

Stefan
    It is true that US EPA numbers are not real. They reduce the highway mileage 22% from the actual measured number. You should have no problem getting better mileage than the EPA number.

Keep tire pressure up.
    Keep car in tune.
    Drive the speed limit.
    Calculate the mileage on only highway driving (to figure highway mileage) with one start. For example if you drive to work on the highway, but only travel 10 miles a day, you have a lot of cold starts which use fuel, so even if you drive mostly highway you will get poor mileage.
  • stephens37stephens37 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 ZTW. It drives well, smooth and quiet. I like the room and the solid feel.

Driving around town it is fine. Went for a long trip though and it seems that the leg room is too short (for the driver...me average height). My right leg seemed too long. If I moved the seat back it is too far to comfortably hold the steering wheel. I wonder am I the only one...or perhaps my body has to adjust to the Focus.

The highway speed limit is now up to 65 in some places. So staying up at that 65-70 range on the highway takes pushing the rpms to 3000. Passing pushes the rpms up above 3000. Although most times I found I could do 65-70 on flat highways at @2500 rpms. Can the ztec take the higher rpms? Is this the way the engine was designed to work? I just don't want to push it too much since it is just a 4 cylinder.

Thanks for your help.
  • shikazeshikaze Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Egg Yolk Yellow Street Edition Wagon.

Stephens37, did you try telescoping the steering wheel out? I'm 5' 10" and have the drivers seat all the way back and haven't had any problems. The auto tranny is a 4 speed, so when you put the hammer down to pass it drops into 3rd. Your revs will jump up there if your doing 65-70 mph probably about 4,000 or so. Unless tour driving around all the time with the OD off I wouldn't worry about the high revs, these 4 bangers were made to work at higher revolutions. The Zetec doesn't make 132 hp until it reaches about 5,500 rpm. I don't know were the redline is, my tach just goes up to 7,000 rpm, but you won't catch me driving around with it up there :-)

BTW these boards are great! Not too many wagon owners though, oh well those ZX5 owners are just gonna be deprived :-) . My wagon drives like its on rails.
    and thanks for your notes. Look forward to hearing more about your Ford Focus wagon experience. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I own a 2001 blue Street Edition Wagon with the manual 5 Speed. You can easily get the car up to 5500 Rpm. These engines can stand it. You have to think that these engines are also designed for European conditions. With a constant speed of 110 – 120 MPH on a German Highway, the RPM will be somewhere in that area. Unfortunately you cannot test this here in the US. Once the engine is on working temperature the high RPM do not harm it. You just should not do it, when the engine is cold.
    Overall I am happy with this car. The only two things I miss: More legroom and the nice and powerful Diesel engines they have in Europe. Especially the Tdci with 115HP.
  • jsminjsmin Member Posts: 11
    I am getting 30.5 mpg at 5K on a 2002 Focus wagon...been keeping detailed records. I drive at a medium pace...ok most of the time it is slow. There are too many cars out there to go anywhere fast. Really, I despise driving. All those commercials where they try and make driving look enjoyable are idiotic. Really, I'm not driving from LA to San Fancisco for lunch. I am not driving to Fargo by mistake. I'm not going to drive to the Grand Canyon and not get out of my car. I am not going to play polo with my car. I am not going to trail a wakeboarder on the beach with my car. I am not going to race an airplane with my car. I am not going to do donuts in a salt basin in a car. A car is not going to make my life more fulfilling.
  • xpisxpis Member Posts: 1
    "A car is not going to make my life more fulfilling."

A great post. My sentiments, exactly. We (wife and I) bought the ZTW wagon, largely because it carries two bikes/front wheels attached, and so far it has been great.
  • natdmannatdman Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a Hard car top cargo carrier for the Focus wagon with factory roof rack. Anyone have any suggestions? I have found one from THULE but that is it. There must be more, right?
  • dominickc1dominickc1 Member Posts: 22
    I had my Ford Focus wagon SE for about a week and I think I'll get a pretty good gas milage and plus I'm taking it in to get the windows tinted and that invisible bra put on for the hood. I love it sooo far. I have one complaint about the wagon is that I think Ford put too big of tires on the car. It should been a 15in instead of a 16in. I'll let you know how I like it after a month. I'm going to dress it up little by little.
    When you load one of these up with the ABS and traction control and the like you are pushing $20k. What can a loaded ZTW be realistically bought for and do you think it's worth spending that much for a Focus given that the base models can be had for several thousand less?
    There is a $2,500 rebate on 02 Foci, and $1,000 on the 03.
  • dominickc1dominickc1 Member Posts: 22
    I still loving my focus wagon and I fill the gas tank every 2 weeks so I know I'm getting good gas mileage.
  • nancjunenancjune Member Posts: 2
    (I already posted the to Wagons and Focus Owners - looks like I finally found the right place :-)

My name is Nancy and I live in Southern California, in the foothill area north of
    Glendale and west of Pasadena . This looks like a great group to hang out with!

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002 I became the proud owner of a new 2002 Ford Focus
    ZTW Wagon. My 2000 Explorer was coming off lease on the 26th, and I wanted to
    downsize so the Focus wagon seemed perfect.

So far, I *love* it! It's the Sangria Red (my first red car!) with gray leather. It's pretty
    loaded; about all it doesn't have is a sunroof and the "Advance Track" traction
    control system.

Want to hear something funny? For the last two-three weeks, my boyfriend and I
    have been independently searching the 'net, reading reviews, checking prices, etc.
    as we each tried to decide what to buy. I was replacing my Explorer, and he was
    replacing a 1995 Escort Wagon that was beginning to have one problem after
    another (at 128k, that's probably not surprising).

Anyway, we *both* narrowed it down to one car: the 2002 Focus ZTW Wagon! He
    bought his on Saturday, and it's the Twilight Blue. Other than color, both cars are
    identically equipped. We both got our respective Focii (sp?) for just under 20k,
    including the alarm system. We feel it's a *very* nice car for the money.
    Comfortable, solid, holds the road like a pro, adequate get-up-and-go, and looks
    good to boot (in our opinion, anyway ;-) As far as reliability, time will tell. We figure
    after two years most of the bugs should be ironed out, and if not, we have the
    warranty to take care of any problems that might arise.

I can't wait to take a picture of them (and us) side-by-side :-)

Nancy
    That ZTW really is a nice wagon. Hope you enjoy them.
    Hi Nancy

I hope you enjoy your Focus. They should offer more cars like this. I would have gone for the ZTX wagon as well but the ZTX was not available as wagon in 2001. So I ended up with a SE and street edition package. Fully loaded incl. Advance track, ABS... but no leather and no sun roof.

So far I have been pretty lucky and did not have any major problems. Only some small things covered under warranty.

The only thing I miss: A diesel engine. I am from Europe and there the offer some gorgeous Diesel engines for the Focus. Better ones than they have for the Jetta Wagon TDI here in the US.

I you want to get some information about common Focus problems and technical help, check out the forums at this link: www.focaljet.com

Most of the topis are about tuning and other stupid things. But once a while they have some interessting information.

And by the way, here are some pictures of mine:

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10098387&w=797&h=255

• jsminjsmin Member Posts: 11
    Rattle in the hatch on my wagon. I pressed down on the plastic covering on the inside of the hatch. Some of the plastic "snaps" clicked in and the sound went away. I think that the snaps may come loose when you slam the hatch shut. Also, black soot did not appear on the front wheels after rotating tires, so it is not some constant problem.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Hello all...

I wondered if anybody knew why there it is so hard to find Focus Wagons with ABS on dealer lots, at least here in MA (and if there is anywhere that you really need ABS, it is here!) I have searched high and low and found very few. Many dealers here still have a bunch of left over '02s that are great buys, but not one of them has ABS--virtually everything else but (moonroofs, side air bags, the whole bit). Just for curiosity I started looking for '03's and it is the same thing. Why is Ford so adverse to putting anti-lock brakes on the Focus Wagon?
  • jjc5jjc5 Member Posts: 16
    I don't believe that Ford sends out the cars; it's the dealers who order dependent on consumer preferences. In the Chicago area, a number of the cars have ABS; however, trying to find one with ABS and side air bags is virtually impossible. I think the dealers order them just based on what they think consumers want. I certainly would rather have ABS, AdvanceTrac, and side air bags before a power moon roof, but not all consumers think that way.

Your other option is to order the car; you may need to wait a month or two, but you'll get the car configured how you want, and save some extra cash!

Good luck.
    At least you can order the Focus exactly how you want it - not true with many other cars.
  • jayguyjayguy Member Posts: 6
    Hello fellow Focus Wagon owners!
    I was over in the "Ford Focus Wagon-Problems & Solutions" message board and someone there (jjc5) was saying that you can get the Focus wagon with a 60/40 split seat CUSHION as well as the 60/40 seat back. Those of you who have tried to use the 60/40 feature to increase the cargo capacity of the rear will understand how convenient this would be. You can't adequately fold down either of the seat backs unless the entire seat cushion is folded up... you end up with the seat cushions folded down to about a 40 degree angle which doesn't really do much to increase your cargo capacity since you can't put anything on it... in fact it reduces it because now you can't store anything where the seat was either. If they had a 60/40 seat cushion so you could actually fold down the side that you wanted all the way flat, THAT would be useful.
    Anyway, does anyone know if this actually DOES exist? If so, please quote sources because my local dealers don't seem to be aware of it.