Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    seminoleseminole Member Posts: 1
    I have 45k miles / good paint / new top last summer / new alpine stereo $400 4 months ago and excellent interior - cloth no problems. Live 5 minutes from work. ANYONE? What would be a fair trade price? Green with black interior. Thanks.

Miata dealer in Orlando 35 miles away said he'd give me 6,ooo to trade in on a RX8 6,ooo off msrp
  • Options
    racer63racer63 Member Posts: 83
    I need help with this one. Against everyone's advice last year, my senior citizen mother bought this car, and now due to health issues cannot drive a stick anymore.

Here are the vitals:

North Jersey location
    2004 Hyundai Accent 2 door
    4cyl/5 speed
    5,000 tiny miles (see there is some good news)
    light metallic gray-green over gray cloth (for green it looks OK)
    More bad news: its a stripper, doesn't even have AC :cry:
    Basically as new except for one spot of curb rash on the RR wheel cover.

The only other piece of sort of good fortune is it was bought the Bobst way for $10k OTD, which means about $9200+TTL. There also is no pay-off involved. But then, it is a Hyundai, it's green, a 5 speed, and no air. :cry: I'm thinking newspaper ad in the higher 7's, and let it go for 7-7,200? I assume a trade # would be in the 5's? Looking for confirmation or correction to my #'s, trying to get as much cash out of it as possible. Thx.
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .... #2 ...?

.. Sorry, but I ain't paying no $250 to play those turtle top greens, I don't pay half that to play the TPC at Sawgrass ..l.o.l... .. no Callaways thank you, they're like hitting an anvil ..... so far here's the list: Tobacco rd, Mid-pines, Little River Pines, the Carolina, Legacy, the Pit and the National ...

Terry :P
  • Options
    .. **North Jersey location
    2004 Hyundai Accent 2 door
    4cyl/5 speed
    5,000 tiny miles (see there is some good news)
    light metallic gray-green over gray cloth (for green it looks OK)
    More bad news: its a stripper, doesn't even have AC
    Basically as new except for one spot of curb rash on the RR wheel cover.
    The only other piece of sort of good fortune is it was bought the Bobst way for $10k OTD, which means about $9200+TTL. There also is no pay-off involved. But then, it is a Hyundai, it's green, a 5 speed, and no air. I'm thinking newspaper ad in the higher 7's, and let it go for 7-7,200? I assume a trade # would be in the 5's? Looking for confirmation or correction to my #'s, trying to get as much cash out of it as possible. Thx.
    ========================================

Yikes .......! .. no breeze ..?? ... with it being "Fall" you can probably move it - if it was July or August in NJ you could be suckin' the exhaust pipe for the next 3 months ..

Well .... it's a base, it's a 2dr, no breeze, handshaker, it's green, at least we have baby miles -- aaahh, what can I say ...?

I think your right on the $$ as far as the trade is concerned .. depending on the dealer you might find the mid/high $4's and the guy 5 blocks away might drop the low low low low $5's in it - maybe .... only because of the season would I try *asking* $7,900 and see what kind of response I would get and grab $6,5/$7,5 ... no calls at $7,900 and I would drop it to $7,495 .. down south, I would have to pay someone to take if off my hands for $5,900 ..l.o.l... the only thing that saves this caboose is the looooooooooow miles ..

I hope your Mom gets better ... let me know.

Terry.
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    What should I offer for a (buying from a dealer)

Fort Worth, Texas

2002 Acura RL Premium
    3.5L V6
    4 Spd Auto

117,684 miles

Black Exterior, Ivory Leather Interior
    Good Condition inside and out
    No Info about Maintenance

-------------------

Mechanical
    # 24 Valves
    # Single Overhead Cam (SOHC)
    # Displacement: 3.50 Liters
    # Cylinders: V6
    # Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
    # Drive Type: Front Wheel Drive
    Performance
    # Horsepower: 225 Horsepower
    # Horsepower At: 5200 Rpm
    # Torque: 231 Pound/Feet
    # Torque At: 2800 Rpm
    Interior
    # Front Console With Storage
    # Cruise Control
    # Overhead Console With Storage
    # Remote Trunk Release
    # Steering Wheel: Tilt And Telescopic
    # Power Steering
    # Steering Wheel Controls: Audio Controls
    # Steering Wheel Controls: Audio And Cruise Controls
    # Universal Remote Transmitter
    # Climate Control
    # Air Conditioning
    # Center Console Trim: Wood
    # Dashboard Trim: Wood
    # Rearview Mirror: Auto-Dimming
    # Shift Knob: Leather
    # Steering Wheel Trim: Leather-Wrapped
    # Remote Power Door Locks
    # Power Door Locks
    # Power Windows
    # Audio System: AM/FM Cassette 6-CD
    # Rear Seat Type: Bench Rear Seat
    # Satellite Communication Service: Onstar
    Exterior
    # Heated Mirrors
    # Number Of Doors: 4
    # Front Wipers: Intermittent
    # Rear Defogger
    # Sunroof: Power Glass
    # Wheel Rim Size: 16 In.
    # Wheel Rim Type: Alloy Rims
    Safety
    # 4-Wheel Antilock Brakes: Standard
    # Front Side-Mounted Airbags
    # Anti-Theft System
    # Front Fog Lights
    # Headlights: Xenon High Intensity
    # Headlights (Auto-On): Dusk Sensing
    # Stability Control
    # Traction Control
  • Options
    carnutt1carnutt1 Member Posts: 10
    Terry,

Would should I get for 04 VW R32 Blue, 16.5k miles, excellent condition, garaged last winter, no dings,scratches gouges etc. Leather seat option, cd changer. Live in Omaha, NE. Thanks
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Hey Terry,

Looking at a new commuter car and wanted to get an idea of wholesale and retail:

http://images.getauto.com/vehicles/SHHE/SHHEP33543U403039-a.jpg

2003 Honda Civic Si (3 door hatch)
    36,000 miles
    Black on black
    5 speed
    sunroof
    full power
    17" custom wheels
    tinted windows
    fog lights and rear spoilers (dealer add-on's)
    good tires
    nice paint and interior
    no wrecks AFAIK
    In metro Atlanta

Dealer is asking $15,600. I don't know much about these cars so I can't tell if that's decent price or not. Whadda you think?
  • Options
    2002blackmax2002blackmax Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your help. I'm just going to ride it out for a bit and possibly get the opinion of a independent mechanic to see if the car has any potential issues.
  • Options
    wisgalwisgal Member Posts: 4
    2Dr,4WD ExtCab SB
    3.0 6 cylinder auto
    blk with grey interior, 76700 miles
    good condition has been detailed
    5000 miles on tires, brakes are good
    bedliner, single CD all power
    Would appreciate trade and private value.
    Looking for a vehicle to yank a boat around. Thanks
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    question is, WHY was it bought back???

what is the new Si? Like $20K? I can't understand getting the previous model with less power for $3k savings. It will also probably depreciate worse if the new model is as good as the reviews state.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    gjm1gjm1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying to determine what I might get from a dealer for my 2003 Acura 3.2TL.
    Mileage: 30,500
    Condition: Excellent
    Color: Black w/ Black Leather

Also, if I were to try & sell it myself - where might be the best place? Auto Trader, newspaper, cars.com?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    racer63racer63 Member Posts: 83
    I think your right on the $$ as far as the trade is concerned .. depending on the dealer you might find the mid/high $4's and the guy 5 blocks away might drop the low low low low $5's in it - maybe .... only because of the season would I try *asking* $7,900 and see what kind of response I would get and grab $6,5/$7,5 ... no calls at $7,900 and I would drop it to $7,495 .. down south, I would have to pay someone to take if off my hands for $5,900 ..l.o.l... the only thing that saves this caboose is the looooooooooow miles ..

I hope your Mom gets better ... let me know.
    ------------------------
    Thx. Terry. This is certainly going to be a pain of a sales job, but at least the time to get it done is right now. It will also be fun convincing her that is what her little ride is worth. I'll pass on what I can move this thing for.

Rob
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    There is nothing official on '06 Si pricing. Lots of speculation around $20K but dealers keep saying more like $21-23K depending on options. Got until January to find out.
  • Options
    jims63139jims63139 Member Posts: 31
    "Replying to my own post, I drove a 2005 Civic Si today. Had less than 200 miles on it. Salesguy said it was MBB but I didn't press him for info."

What is MBB? :confuse:
    Jim
  • Options
    MBB = manufacturer buy back

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Ah, ok, i was wondering why i couldn't find pricing anywhere. Didn't realize it wasn't out yet. Could have fooled me with all the talk about it in the forums and magazines. ;)

• Options
    oddy1oddy1 Member Posts: 3
    Year/Make/Model: 2002 BMW 330Ci
    Body Style: Convertib;e
    Engine: [3 L 6 cylinder, manual]
    Driveline: [RWD]
    Mileage: 36000
    Color: [white/nat brown]
    Major Options: [Sport Package, Prem Package, Heated seats, Bi-Xenons, //M 17" wheels
    Condition: Excellent;
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc. - no accidents, nothing painted, no rips or dirt on interior; non-smoker
    Tires - 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport
    Brakes more than 1/2 pads left Front/Rear
    Maintenance Dealer serviced
    Other: Orig owner, garaged, serviced at dealer, new tires;
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major news magazine would like to hear from consumers who are thinking about/planning to sell/trade in their SUVs (and similar large gas-guzzling vehicles) for more fuel efficient cars. If you have a story to share with the reporter, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., the make/model that you are getting out of and which more fuel-efficient vehicle you are now looking for, no later than EOD Thurs., November 10, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    It's funny you brought up the question: ""does the ball roll better when the ground is frozen?"" .... I was just reading an article that says the colder the weather, the harder the ball - so the shorter the ball flight ... by the way, I'm trying to book Pinehurst for a weeks play ....

Do yourself a favor and play Tobacco Road. 45 minute drive away, but one of the crazier courses you will ever play. Trust me on this one.

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/

(The designed - Mike Stranz - just passed away.)
  • Options
    frugalcarbuyerfrugalcarbuyer Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am looking to possibly purchase a Sienna Limited AWD in Phoenix area. The car has 30K miles and I'm assuming the condition is good since I haven't seen it yet. I want to get an idea of what it's worth before I make the trip. KBB says around 23K. Does this seem right? The AWDs don't come with spares and have run flats so I think they are a tougher sell. I'm also questioning whether I want to deal with runflats.

TIA
  • Options
    droodroo Member Posts: 35
    Hey, Terry

I wanted to see what I should be looking to get for this one:

1999 Maxima SE
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 3.0 liter V6, auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 89,000
    Color: Gold with gray cloth interior

Major Options: Power sunroof, power driver seat, 16-inch SE alloys, factory spoiler, aftermarket tint, aftermarket audio w/10-disc changer (good install, no hack 'n' slash).

Condition: Looks well-maintained and cleans up good, exterior looks good, shiny paint/no swirlys, has minor door dings and front-end rock chips, interior clean, nonsmoker, no leftover french fries, great AC. Replaced in past 15 months: brakes, tires, struts, battery. Maintenance is current, with records (30/60/90K maint, oil changes every 3-4K). Runs and drives great, never had any mechanical issues. I’m the second owner, had it since April 2002 at 21000 miles.

Bad news: Rear-ended in April 2003 (doesn’t show up on CarFax, weird). No frame/mechanical damage; got hit by a jacked-up Ford Ranger, which went right over my bumper and took out the sheet metal, I drove away from the wreck. Repaired damage to rear bumper, right rear quarter, trunk lid and floor.

Looking for trade-in and retail road numbers, with and without the wreck.

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    .... Thanks for the info, I appreciate it ... I saw it on the net and it looks like a beauty - and it's "on" the list ..... I have no fear - I'll just Fed-Ex 1,000 balls there .l.o.l..

I just read about Mike Stranz, very sad.

Terry. :shades:
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....so much higher than the others? I'm currently in the market for a used Corolla. I'm looking at a '99 Corolla LE and I decided to look up its value. Edmunds has it retailed at $5800, KBB has it at $6100, while NADA has it valued at $7100. Edmunds and KBB are close, while NADA is way out there. What gives?
  • Options
    thehingethehinge Member Posts: 11
    Thank you so much for your reply. I decided to pass on this one too. I am glad to see I guessed right. Sorry to clutter the forum with thanks, but...Thanks!
  • Options
    thehingethehinge Member Posts: 11
    I don't know if it's true, but somebody told me it was because the NADA is only dealers.
  • Options
    gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Most banks will use NADA to figure the amount you can finance.

The higher the vehicle value the more loan the dealer will qualify you for.
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    My town uses NADA to compute personal property taxes. So I am sure it is the highest in the land....
  • Options
    Wondering this about Black Book too. I thought it was based on auction prices, but it's WAY high compared to Edmunds and KBB, which are fairly close for comparable vehicle conditions. I was basically ignoring NADA 'cause it was so high, but now Black Book is high too...

I know, books don't buy cars, just really curious now to see what Terry comes back with on my Maxima, and how it compares to the various book prices.
  • Options
    jjhcjjhc Member Posts: 4
    Terry,

Please offer your expert opinion. I've never done a trade before, and it would be great to know the value from a dealer's perspective.

Thanks!

Year/Make/Model: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Engine: V6 automatic
    Driveline: 4WD
    Mileage: 70,000
    Color: Sandstone
    Major Options: leather, both front seats power and heated, premium sound with 10 disc changer, power sunroof, power heated mirrors, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, auto on/off headlights, overhead console, alarm, sunscreen glass
    Condition:
    - Body and paint are in good shape (no accidents), interior kept clean
    - Tires – have 20,000 miles on them, brakes in good order
    - Maintenance – regular checks/fluid changes
    - Other - no prior damage/insurance claims or repaints
  • Options
    .. **Location: Birmingham, AL
    Year/Make/Model: 2005 Infiniti G35
    Body Style: 4dr sedan
    Engine: 3.5 liter V6 cylinder, automatic
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 3,150
    Color: Silver exterior, with gray leather interior
    Major Options: Sunroof, no Bose, no Navi
    Condition: As new, no dings, no scratches, no wear
    Other: No prior damage or anything else weird
    >>>>> I am willing to put my Tag Heuer in the glovebox for the right price ...
    ======================================

Ohhh, a Tag ... lets hope it's the right price ..

Your right down the street from the one of the many Trent Jones golf courses ....

We gotta a 05 G35 with Itsy Bitsy miles ..... we got the auto thing, good color for the area, we got a hole in the roof - and you say no kisses, it's nice, it's clean and no battles at Burger King ... If So, then trade side in and around the super tall $24's low low $25's, might maybe get a dealer to fall over himself and wander into the mid $25's - maybe ..... can you email me the watch..?

let me know how it goes .....

Terry ;)
  • Options
    Terry,
    Please offer your expert opinion. I've never done a trade before, and it would be great to know the value from a dealer's perspective.
    Thanks!
    Year/Make/Model: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Engine: V6 automatic
    Driveline: 4WD
    Mileage: 70,000
    Color: Sandstone
    Major Options: leather, both front seats power and heated, premium sound with 10 disc changer, power sunroof, power heated mirrors, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, auto on/off headlights, overhead console, alarm, sunscreen glass
    Condition:
    - Body and paint are in good shape (no accidents), interior kept clean
    - Tires – have 20,000 miles on them, brakes in good order
    - Maintenance – regular checks/fluid changes
    - Other - no prior damage/insurance claims or repaints
    =======================================

In the land of the golden "Arch" ....... we got a 99 Grand Jeep Laredo 4x4 .. the color is good, we got the bun warmers, V6, the miles are low for the year, slider, tunes and some solar glass .... if it looks and drives like a 04, no soccer Mom interior and no KFC buried under the seats .. then trade side, in and around the mid/tall $5's, might "maybe" get reeeeal lucky and see the low low low low $6's - big maybe .......

Good luck and don't forget to let me know .....

Terry. :shades:
  • Options
    cathleen6208cathleen6208 Member Posts: 3
    Good Afternoon!
    Please answer... I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 liter engine, 4WD, automatic, with every option and upgrade except the navigation system. It has 13,000 miles on it and I keep it in a show room condition, and I also bought the extended warranty with maintenance and oil changes. There is nothing wrong with the car, I just dont like it. I wanted to know what price I could expect as a trade in? I wanted to take advantage of not paying another $1,300 in sales tax, or do you think I would do better selling it on the street? Thank you in advance. :D
    Cat
  • Options
    .... What's going on in St Louie .. is everyone trading their vehicles ...?

Unless your driving an 06 Z06 with 440 miles - then there's no such thing as "show room condition" .... now this little dude is an 05 Liberty Limited, we got the fo by fo, auto stuff, leather and a slider (I hope) and 13,000 ho-hum miles .... if we don't have any curb burners, no Bonnie and Clyde interior and it's not that pukey green color .... then trade side, in and around the mid/tall $16's, might find a dealer that is strong like bull and march into the low low low low low (did someone say low.?) low low low $17's .....

Down Retail Rd...? .. $19,900 *asking* and cut and run at the first $18,9/$19,5 .... can't get greedy on these, they're going through the auctions like lemmings to the sea ....

Whats the pay-off on this beauty ........?

Good luck and let me know ............ ;)

Terry.
  • Options
    .. **Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
    Year/Make/Model: 2002 BMW 330Ci
    Body Style: Convertib;e
    Engine: [3 L 6 cylinder, manual]
    Driveline: [RWD]
    Mileage: 36000
    Color: [white/nat brown]
    Major Options: [Sport Package, Prem Package, Heated seats, B-Xenons, //M 17" wheels
    Condition: Excellent;
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc. - no accidents, nothing painted, no rips or dirt on interior; non-smoker
    Tires - 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport
    Brakes more than 1/2 pads left Front/Rear
    Maintenance Dealer serviced
    Other: Orig owner, garaged, serviced at dealer, new tires;
    ==================================

Sounds like it might be a nice one ....

We got a good color combo, the miles are looooow, it's got the big motor, we got the bun warmers, sport/Prem pack, it's got the blinders, deep sneaks, good service, weak stoppers and that darn movin' around thing between the seats - and you say no paint and no drive by shootings, right..?

If the seats have been hovered in, the top is like yesterday and it looks and drives like an 05 ... then trade side, in and around the low/mid $27's, might maybe get lucky and get a dealer to wander towards the $28 figure if it's a puff and it needs -0- ..... but the low miles giveth and the handshaker taketh away .....

Me personally ..? .. I would run it down the winding path to Retail Rd .. finish any service, get a glorious detail by the detail gods, a super Terminator Ad in all the big papers and: $31,900 *asking* and cut it loose for the tidy sum of $30,5/$31,5 ....

Don't forget the update ..............

Terry.
  • Options
    Hey, Terry

Just checkin' in again...thanks...

1999 Maxima SE
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 3.0 liter V6, auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 89,000
    Color: Gold with gray cloth interior

Major Options: Power sunroof, power driver seat, 16-inch SE alloys, factory spoiler, aftermarket tint, aftermarket audio w/10-disc changer (good install, no hack 'n' slash).

Condition: Looks well-maintained and cleans up good, exterior looks good, shiny paint/no swirlys, has minor door dings and front-end rock chips, interior clean, nonsmoker, no leftover french fries, great AC. Replaced in past 15 months: brakes, tires, struts, battery. Maintenance is current, with records (30/60/90K maint, oil changes every 3-4K). Runs and drives great, never had any mechanical issues. I’m the second owner, had it since April 2002 at 21000 miles.

Bad news: Rear-ended in April 2003 (doesn’t show up on CarFax, weird). No frame/mechanical damage; got hit by a jacked-up Ford Ranger, which went right over my bumper and took out the sheet metal, I drove away from the wreck. Repaired damage to rear bumper, right rear quarter, trunk lid and floor.

Looking for trade-in and retail road numbers, with and without the wreck.

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm not Terry but: "maybe" at your mileage, with a 7 y.o. car, the wreck won't affect it "too" much ($1-$2K?). Depending on how well it was repaired. Do you have body shop records, & was it repaired at a really good/great body shop in your area?

*Looking for trade-in and retail road numbers, with and without the wreck*
  • Options
    jd_boundjd_bound Member Posts: 1
    YMM: 2000 Audi A4
    Body: 4dr
    Engine 1.8 T / Tiptronic (auto)
    Driveline: AWD
    Mileage: 105K
    Color: Silver / Beige
    Major Options: Premium [moonroof, electrochromatic interior/exterior mirrors, Homelink]
    Condition: Very clean in/out, exceptions are: curb rash on 2 rims, ding on front edge of hood, some scratches on the gear selector trim.
    Tires -- 70%
    Brakes -- 10K miles since new all around
    Maint records for major things (T-belt, water pump)

Other: Also have a set of winter wheels / snow tires to include. No damage/clams/paint work/etc
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Posted this in another thread, but thought I'd put it here too, since it's a little more active:

Already own one '93 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, but am looking at buying another for the collection.

Have done and continue to do lots and lots of online classifieds searches and have found a few that peaked my interests, namely this one:

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    -64.5k miles
    -Cotillion White w/ Red leather
    -Vinyl roof delete option
    -Aftermarket power sunroof (headliner also looks a little funny in one pic I could see it)

It's at one of those "we specialize in financing everyone and rebuilding your credit" kind of places, in Baltimore. Somehow, some way, they have posted these CRAZY values on their site:
    Retail: $9,990.00
    E-Sale: $6,990.00

The car has been on AutoTrader for quite a few months (at least) now, and doesn't seem like anyone else has touched it. They have lots of pics and it looks nice, just needs cleaned, I think.

Per Edmunds Used Car Values, which I've always found to be the most real world accurate, Private Party is $3,307 and Retail is $4,654.

Any thoughts? Being a relative expert in these cars and owning one already, there's NO way I'd pay a dime over even $4,000 for it. Yes, it has quite low mileage, but it's over 12 years old, is a bit of a gas sucker, is HUGE, etc.--what would anyone here think of a real purchase/offer value?

Oh, and here's a pic:
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
  • Options
    juslookingjuslooking Member Posts: 9
    Greensboro, NC
    '04/Chevy/S-10
    4X4 crew cab truck
    4.3L V-6/auto
    55000 miles
    White with charcoal int.
    condition above good but has some rock dings in front bumber never in acc. or hit anything

Any help would be great. Thanks......BC
  • Options
    cathleen6208cathleen6208 Member Posts: 3
    Terry,
    Thanks so much for responding back to me. Yes it does seem like everyone is trading here. :D When I said show room condition, I was just relating that I keep the car in such nice condition that it looks like the day I first bought it. It is a 4x4 and it has all the auto stuff, leather, upgraded sound system, front and side air bags, and moon roof. Its not that ugly green, its silver with gray interior. I dont abuse it because if you go fast all the gas goes out the rear. :mad: I have to say that I am very disappointed though since I owe 22,000 on it. Do you think that since it has the warranty with all maintenance and oil changes with it for 5 years that I might get more? I hope... I hope. I went to the dealer yesterday and test drove the Toyota Avalon Limited... they did not have a Jeep on their lot and he did say that he needed one. That may work in my favor. The only other question I have is... Is it better to lease or buy when you only keep the car for 5 years. Not including this huge blunder. :blush: Thanks so much for your help. Have a nice night.
    Cat
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    An extended warranty or service plan means zip, nada on trade in. Does make it easier to private party sell when it can be transferred to the new owner.

If it is as clean and nice as you say, I would try retail road yourself. If you try and trade it in, you will probably need to come up with a few thousand $$ to get the new loan or lease done.
  • Options
    Ditto to what dkuhajda said, about trying to sell it yourself, Then the great warranty should help you. And usually the worst depreciation hit comes when trading a 1 y.o. car. Is it that bad that you just have to get rid of it?

Lease or buy--imo depends on "what" you're buying, & what the lease rates are. But if you want to get out early, can be expensive trouble. With a Toyota (or Honda, or Subaru) I'd buy as they generally have good resale. In any case, leasing adds a whole 'nother level of complication to research.....

*Is it better to lease or buy when you only keep the car for 5 years.*
  • Options
    Hey, Woody

Thanks for the reply. I do have the body shop records showing no frame damage; my brother works at the shop, so I trust that the repairs were done correctly. It's a small shop, not particularly well-known or anything, but good quality.

I'm just getting dizzy from all the numbers, and I'm losing perspective on whether I have a $2K car or a $7K car. Having so many different places to get the various prices ("option anxiety") is almost as bad as the old days, when consumers had NO information...OK, maybe not... ;)
  • Options
    Well, I'd ask Terry again for $$##'s--he's the expert. But I seem to recall him saying that "he has to see" repaired body work to really make a judgement. IMO, the only way to "really know" is to start schlepping it to a few dealers for trade in ##'s, &/or to start running ads privately. And Be thankful you don't have a newish BMW or M-B with lots of body repairs......
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I am pretty certain that given the body damage that any first line dealer is going to ship that one off to auction, or affiliated used car dealer. As a result the actual trade value they are going to offer will be a few hundred back of book.

Luckily it is a 90K 7 year old car and a good quality repair on the body damage will not hurt more than a few hundred at most dealers.

Without actually seeing the repair work and extent of the damage, I would be betting that you will see trade offers in the range of $3500.

It should be a pretty easy private party sale at the $5,900 mark if it is ready to go.
  • Options
    achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    I expected kbb and nada to differ on their values, but 3K on trade in value?? Anyway I know books don't buy cars so here goes. I expect to get around trd in price through a private party because of the past boo-boos. (not really that bad but I have become a realist after reading a couple thousand of these posts!
    Terry gave me a trd value on this a couple of months ago but i'm really thinking private party. Getting ready to buy a TL soon and may cut this loose soon thereafter
    2001 Accord ex w/leather 4 cyl auto
    no sale blue w/greyish bluish leather
    good rubber
    In nawlins La. (no flood)
    no dings just spent $200 w/ dent wizard
    all maint. records and reciepts
    good condition interior
    reg ex goodies 6cd moonroof side airbags

car has had 2 minor boo-boos

1. rear qp repaired where I backed into it w/ a 24 foot u-haul. panel repaired but not replaced. taillight replaced w/oem. rear door painted I guess to blend paint, no structural damage a friend in the body shop biz repaired this for me and refused payment, I don't know how much the damage was.

2.front bumper cover replaced and hood repaired. I tried to mate it with a tahoe at a couple of mph. the only damage was a square hole in the bumper cover from the reciever hitch hole on the tahoe and the leading edge of the hood was bent down slightly.
    hood was repaired. aftermarket (oem looking) bumpercover installed, no damage to lights or fenders
    paid afformentioned body shop $850 out of my pocket.w/ a 500 deductible it wasn't worth a claim

oh what doeth the car gods say?
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Terry: This one is for my Dad in Surprise, AZ, outside of Phoenix:
    2001 Cadillac Deville
    4 door sedan
    Standard Northstar V8 with auto
    FWD
    55000 miles
    tan or desert beige exterior, cashmere interior

Options: alloy wheels, heated leather seats, memory seat positions, reverse sensing parking aid, stability control, rear airbags, cd changer and homelink.

Very nice condition in and out, new tires about 10K miles ago, no dings or scratches, good paint, brakes done about 6 months ago. Maintained by dealer according to maintenance manual.

Wrecked when almost new, got Tboned in intersection, frame not bent, about 5K worth of damage repaired by reputable body shop with genuine Cadillac parts. Cars drives fine and you couldn't tell it was hit unless I told you (well maybe you could, most could not).

What do you think for a trade in on a new 50K Caddy?

Thanks again for your insight.

Tcasboy
  • Options
    Thanks, Woody & dk, I know it's hard to tell without seeing the repairs.

$3-3.5K is right where I was thinking on a trade, I figured it's an auction car. On a private sale, I was thinking of putting maybe $6250 on it, and letting it go in the high $5s.

So I feel a bit better that I'm at least in the ballpark on what I've been thinking. I've got a bit of cleanup to do, then I'll hit Carmax and see what they might offer as a starting point. And I'll repost for Terry's input.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,593
    actually talking numbers now on a new car, so Terry, can you update trade in (and retail road) on:

2005 Scion tC. Flint Mica (dark metallic gray), black guts.

5 speed (of course.) Only 11,000 miles, well maintained, no hits/runs/errors, other than a couple of minor scratches. Pretty much looks new.

In NJ still.

So, what should I hold out for on this not so bad-boy?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    cericolacericola Member Posts: 1
    I am just curious to know the real market value of my 04 Volks. Golf. Details are as follows:
    GLS
    29,000 mi.
    4 dr. hatch.
    2.0, 4 cyl.
    silver
    fully loaded
    I had the rear bumper replaced, and there are some dings on the exterior of the car. Otherwise, the interior is black, and spotless. The engine is in great shape, no major work done on it besides normal maintenance. I live in Ohio, if that makes a difference.