Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• rona123rona123 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Terry, I hope you can give me an idea of what I can expect to sell my S60 T5 for in the Denver area - here is a description:

2001 Volvo S60 T5
    4 door
    5 Cylinder Turbo Automatic auto-stick
    45,500 miles
    Silver exterior/black leather interior
    It is a fully loaded model (see below for features) and in outstanding condition on the interior. Exterior is in excellent condition, near perfect paint with only a few very minor scratches, and no dents or dings. No prior damage, all maintenance up to date.

There is one broken fog light and a right front rim that is a little worn from hitting a curb. Tires are also at only about 20% and will need to be replaced very soon. I'm also told I need to replace the mass air flow sensor.

Here’s my question: What’s my best option? Repairing the car, putting new tires on it, and selling it privately, or just selling as is?

Thanks!
    Ron

Primary Interior features:
    Dual power seats
    Heated seats
    5 disc cd changer
    Cruise
    All power
    Retractable sunroof
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Hey thanks for the info Terry; I really appreciate it. It will take a full set of clubs in the back, but I seem to be carrying more than that at times. Hmm, maybe I need to get my priorities straight!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    is the check engine light on? How much to replace the sensor? If light is on and you are selling it privately, then you definitely need to get it fixed. You would scare away ALOT of buyers with that one, regardless of what you tell them, they don't know for sure and could be looking at a $2k repair bill.

Tires? Well, if they aren't visibly BALD, I would say to leave them alone and let the next owner take care of it. People know what tires cost, so they can figure that into the price of the vehicle, they don't know what a warning light will cost, so that's the problem they don't want to deal with.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    You can get the rim repaired for $100-200 at a wheel collision place, plus your inconvenience (dismounting the tire, driving around on spare, shipping wheel, having tire remounted...). I had a bent wheel repaired this way on my Altima. I'd leave it alone on a 2001 S60 unless it's really chewed up--people scrape curbs all the time, especially with cars that have lower-profile tires. (If it were a 2001 S-Class, I'd get it fixed...)

You can probably get the MAF from a junkyard and install it yourself for much less than a repair shop. It should be an easy job.
  • sparkyqhsparkyqh Member Posts: 8
    Hi Terry,
    This seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle so I'm reposting. Would very much appreciate your help!

We are going to buying a Ford or Dodge truck, so those are dealers that we would be trading it in to.
    Here's the info, and thanks in advance for your help!

Year/Make/Model: 2000 GMC Yukon Denali
    Body Style: SUV
    Engine: 8 cylinder (?) automatic
    Driveline: AWD/4WD ( you can switch between 2WD and 4WD)
    Mileage: 71,500
    Color: Silver/Grey
    Major Options: all the standard luxury stuff (leather, power everything) plus tow brake controller & hitch and hands free phone system
    Condition:
    Good conditon - very minor dings and scratches, (my husband takes good care of his cars) - was detailed recently
    Tires - 2 months old
    Brakes - one year old
    Maintenance - regular maintenance, dealer serviced, all records available. Has had the 60K mile service with timing belt change or whatever expensive thing it is they do at 60K miles :-)
    Other: No accidents or anything. Missing original floor mats, has heavy duty cargo mats instead. This model does not have a 3rd row seat.

We have had this car on cars.com and autotrader for months at prices from $19,900 reduced down to $16,900 (including extended warranty to 2008/100,00 miles) with little interest and no one coming to see it. Just reduced it again today to $15,900. (update: still no calls - maybe now people think there is something wrong with it because it's priced below all the others!)

If you could tell me what it is actually worth to a dealer so I can negoiate a fair deal for the new truck, that would be great!
    Thanks!
    Thanks very much for the tips. The check engine light only comes one a couple times a week for very short periods of time, so it's possible I could get by with selling the vehicle without having to replace it, but I'd prefer to provide piece of mind for both myself and the buyer by taking care of it in advance. I've been quoted around $350 to replace it, but have been reading that I might indeed be able to do it myself. As for the tires and rim, I'm pretty sure I'll just leave that for the new buyer to replace or repair, and am guessing I can drop the price by around $500 to compensate.

Thanks,
    Ron
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    He wants to get around $50K. Guess we'll see...
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Payoff is zero.

Why do they worry about that?
  • crandlemancrandleman Member Posts: 65
    I have posted 6 times about my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. I keep getting no answer from Terry. Many other posts after mine have been answered, yet mine goes unanswered. Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do to get Terry to respond?

Not trying to be pushy, just need help.

Thank you in advance.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .. **Hey thanks for the info Terry; I really appreciate it. It will take a full set of clubs in the back, but I seem to be carrying more than that at times. Hmm, maybe I need to get my priorities straight!** ..

A full set...? .. a 10" cart bag and 14 clubs ...? .. or one of those wimpy stand bags with a 3 wood and a putter ...l.o.l......

Terry :P
    ...... Everything in a car deal is negotiable -- except for the pay-off .... and a payoff is going to be directly reflective of the new payment ... (even though folks "say" payments aren't important) ..

Most folks, whether they drive a 04 Cavalier or a 01 Porsche Cabriolet have a payoff ... so when they go back into the buying market it's going to greatly effect the next deal (thats why dealers want to know the payoff) .... especially since most folks are still paying for the vehicle they bought in 99 and it's rolled into the vehicle they purchased in 02 and now they're a lookin' at a 05 ... and unfortunately, most owe $16,000 on $12,000 vehicles ---- you owe -0- .. between you and Mathias, thats a very small minority - but a very nice place to be ...

Terry ;)
    .. **I have posted 6 times about my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. I keep getting no answer from Terry. Many other posts after mine have been answered, yet mine goes unanswered. Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do to get Terry to respond?

Not trying to be pushy, just need help.

Thank you in advance**
    ===================================

The reason why I didn't answer your post was ... your neighbor told me you haven't brushed your teeth in 2 weeks and you hang your laundry out the bedroom window ........ what do ya want from me ...? ...l.o.l.....

Seriously .. if ya get missed - REPOST .... if you get missed more than once, then REPOST twice a day if ya need info in a hurry ......

Your dealing with someone with the attention span of an aspharugus and an IQ of a 3rd grader ..........

Terry :P
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Reposted w/ Terry back. I've got a 24k mile 1-pay lease (18mo maybe?) on another truck for dirt cheap to replace the below truck. I am trying to decide whether to sell this truck or keep it for when the lease truck is gone.

Sterling Heights, MI (Detroit Metro)
    2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
    5.4L/auto
    34000 miles
    Dark Green out, tan leather in
    Options: moonroof, captains chairs, heated front seats, power pedals, power rear slider, LSD, FX4 off road package, towing package
    Extras: side steps, soft bed cover, 2-way remote starter, plastic drop-in bedliner, 3M Scotchcal hood/roof
    Tires - 33" BFG AT's 50%
    Brakes original and solid
    Oil changes 3000-3500
    All service records which have been minimal
    Body perfect - no dings

I'm interested in trade in and private party values should be. Edmunds TMV gives me $18.7k/$20.4k.

Thanks!
    Aaron
  • crandlemancrandleman Member Posts: 65
    Terry, here you go.

Repost from earlier. Thanks for the help.

Muscatine, IA
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition
    2WD, 6 cyl, auto
    Miles: 27,000
    Silver Exterior/Black Leather Interior
    Non-standard options:
    Leather
    Trailer Tow Prep
    Convienence Package
    Keyless Entry
    Perfect Interior
    Like New Exterior
    No mechanical issue
    Lot's of life left on the tires
    No accidents/non-smoker

Looking to trade or sell to a private party.

Thank you in advance.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Ok, that sounds logical. Would you say then that the dealer has more or less flexibility in the trade if I don't owe anything on it? If I'm getting the new vehicle at something just above invoice and I'm paying cash for the balance, I guess the only way for the dealer to come out with significant profit is to burn me on the trade. That must be why they seem to be offering such a low trade (low to me).

I used to sell my cars outright but since retiring from the military and moving to TN a few years ago I only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the new car, so I figure its almost worth it to not have to sell the car myself. I usually didn't have to pay sales tax before because I was never stationed in my home state (where I paid my taxes to) and thus they would usually exempt me from the sales tax. Now that I have to pay the sales tax, it is nice to only pay on the difference.

I usually buy a new car at the end of the model year for around invoice with cash (or cash and the trade), and keep it about 4 years and sell/trade. Use the car 4 years, sell while it still has fairly good value, and buy the new car outright. The key for me is to save enough while I have the car to buy my next one outright.

The downside is in keeping the deals as close to invoice as possible and not getting a loan means the dealer has to make some more off the trade, not to mention having a lot of my money tied up in cars.

I'll probably try to sell the car myself as I will most likely get a lot more that way even without the tax advantage.

Thanks again.

TB
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    Terry, what do you think my car would be worth as a trade?

Canton, OH
    2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon
    2.0l 4 cyl. / 4 speed "sport auto" / FWD
    9800 mi.
    Options: Roof rack, ABS, seat-mounted side airbags, 6-disc in dash CD changer, leather interior, power moonroof
    Condition: A few minor paint chips on the hood, minor scrape on the underside of the front air dam, shoe marks on the interior door panels (which I assume would come off if detailed) otherwise like new interior and exterior. Dunlop tires and brakes are fine, all original. Maintained at the dealership, used synthetic oil since new.

Thanks!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    It might as well be the way I've been hitting my driver lately... :(

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    The amount owed makes no difference on what the trade is worth or the real negotiating of the difference someone will be paying.

The amount owed only makes a difference on trying to get financing on the next vehicle and having to roll over the negative equity into the new loan and the new loan payment.

If someone plans on financing and has a trade, they are usually payment buyers. In the case of the payment buyer it is very important to know the payoff as it will affect the payment.
    ... ** usually buy a new car at the end of the model year for around invoice with cash (or cash and the trade), and keep it about 4 years and sell/trade. Use the car 4 years, sell while it still has fairly good value, and buy the new car outright. The key for me is to save enough while I have the car to buy my next one outright.**..

The more you post, the more I can tell you're smart shopper ...... if you've read alot of these posts across the boards from, "Prices paid/News and snooze etc, as I do ... you can tell from the tone of the poster that they are payment buyers .. them, and 85% of the market -- they just kinda forget that part in their post ..l.o.l........

In the "Real World" buyers don't buy cars, they buy payments ....

So, by the time they reach the next dealer they kinda forget they owe $3,500 more on their vehicle than what it's worth .. they kinda forget they'll have $1,200 in taxes and they kinda forget they're not putting any money down .... but they sure remember they don't want their payments to be more than $300 a month and they just launched themselves into the Super Max XYZ van sitting on the showroom floor with a price tag of $33,000 .. and they want the dealer to somehow "someway" make it all happen - or they'll walk out the door - and believe it or not, that's the norm ....

In the meantime, you should do fine ..... if you know the "real" value of your vehicle come trade side and you know what the market is doing on the next one - then just work the difference .... dealers love a smart shopper without all of the "drama queen" activity .. they sell cars, not 4 hours of finance 101 ....

Terry. ;)
    .. **Terry, here you go.

Repost from earlier. Thanks for the help.

Muscatine, IA
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition
    2WD, 6 cyl, auto
    Miles: 27,000
    Silver Exterior/Black Leather Interior
    Non-standard options:
    Leather
    Trailer Tow Prep
    Convienence Package
    Keyless Entry
    Perfect Interior
    Like New Exterior
    No mechanical issue
    Lot's of life left on the tires
    No accidents/non-smoker
    Looking to trade or sell to a private party.
    Thank you in advance.
    ================================

Hows the tooth brushing classes goin' ..........?

... Muscatine..? .. isn't that a cheap wine ....?

Anyway ...... we're lookin' at a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Laredo, right..?) .. it's a 2WD with 27k, we got the 6 banger, auto, good color for anywhere, we got some moo hydes and a tow pack ....... if we haven't used this as a transit vehicle, no paint by numbers and not a waste management center ..... then trade side, in and around the low/mid $13's, might "maybe" see the tall $13's, could see the low low low low low low low low low $14's with the proper alignment with Mars and Neptune ...

Retail Rd ...? .. super detail, finish any service, maybe some rubber and a glorious 4/5 liner Ad in the Big papers .. then: $16,495 *asking* and cut and run at the first $15/$15,9 ...... the miles, the weak rubber and with Frosty the Snowman knocking at the door, the 2WD will hold this one back ...

Let me know how it goes ...........................

Terry.
  • meusemanmeuseman Member Posts: 18
    Hi Terry.

Cranston, RI
    2002 Saturn SC1
    3dr Coupe (That funky little door to the back seat is #3)
    4 cyl, 5spd, FWD
    Silver Exterior/Tan Interior
    Power Windows, Doors, Mirrors, Cruise
    Interior has one Nickel sized stain on back seat, Exterior has 3 small scratches on front bumper and one on the door (stupid parking lots)
    Never needed any work or tires
    No accidents or repairs

Thanks so much!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Reposted several times! (Not really, but what the heck...)

Outside bean town
    1999 CR-V EX
    5MT and AWD
    115K miles
    Silver
    Added roof rack, tow hitch, and heated moo hides
    In clean condition (minor scratches, one ding)
    Tires 'bout 50% worn
    Brakes and everything else are good.
    2 rear-enders! But no damage to painted parts (muffler and bumper skin have been replaced)

Originally planned to sell privately, but may have to go the trade-in route.

Sigh... loved this little beast (don't ask me to explain). Thanks for your help.
  • jjhcjjhc Member Posts: 4
    Year/Make/Model: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Engine: V6 automatic
    Driveline: 4WD
    Mileage: 70,000
    Color: Sandstone (Darker gold)
    Major Options: leather, both front seats power and heated, premium sound with 10 disc changer (all factory), power sunroof, power heated mirrors, Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, auto on/off headlights, overhead console, alarm, sunscreen glass
    Condition:
    - Body and paint are in good shape (no accidents), interior kept clean
    - Tires – have 20,000 miles on them, brakes in good order
    - Maintenance – regular checks/fluid changes
    - Other - no prior damage/insurance claims or repaints
    Edmunds TMV Trade - $7,092

Also wondering if there would be a significant advantage to waiting until Dec-Jan-Feb (winter driving season) to trade in an SUV like mine.

Thanks so much!
    Hi Terry, am reposting again as folks are posting so fast that I'm getting lost in the shuffle! I hope you can give me an idea of what I can expect to sell my S60 T5 for in the Denver area. I'm really confused, because most of the blue book values range from 16,500 to 18,500, yet all the listings I've seen for comparable cars in the area, dealer and private seller, have them closer to or above 20k, and I doubt they're being negotiated down by 2k.

2001 Volvo S60 T5
    4 door
    45,500 miles
    Silver exterior/charcoal leather interior
    It is a fully loaded model (see below for features) and in outstanding condition on the interior. Exterior is in excellent condition, near perfect paint with only a few very minor scratches, and no dents or dings. No prior body damage, all maintenance up to date.

There is one broken fog light and a right front rim that is a little worn from hitting a curb. Tires are also at only about 20% and will need to be replaced very soon. I'm also told I need to replace the mass air flow sensor. I'm probably going to repair the fog light and MAF sensor prior to sale, so there should be no mechanical or appearance issues other than the tires.

Thanks!
    Ron

Dual power seats
    Heated seats
    5 disc cd changer
    Cruise
    All power
    Retractable sunroof
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I once knew a young woman who, in the mid-80's, bought one of those little Chevy clones of a Toyota (based on a Corolla, or Tercel, I think). Get this--her Grandmother was "helping" her do the deal, & between the salesman, & the Granny, my acquaintance wound up with 7 years of payments, totaling $19,000 with interest.....for a $7 or $8000 car.
  • njgilnjgil Member Posts: 6
    Hey Terry, what should I expect as a private seller?

Location: Caldwell, New Jersey (Northern NJ), 28 mi west of NYC
    Year/Make/Model: 2005 BMW 325xi
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 2.5L 6cyl, auto
    Driveline: AWD
    Mileage: 10850
    Color: Orient Metallic blue (exterior), Sand Leatherette (Interior)
    Major options: Standard options + Cold weather package (Front seat warmers, headlight cleaners, fold down rear seats w/ski bag), automatic
    Condition: Interior is excellent, with slight black shoe scuff marks on the bottom inside driver and passenger doors. Exterior is good, with only a ding on the rear driver side door, and a very small ding just above the gas door.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Oh no, say it isn't so. You will be buying another CRV, right? If not, you won't abandon us over in the CRV fora, will you? May I ask, why are you selling?
  • phillymomphillymom Member Posts: 30
    We have a 2003 Black Saturn Vue
    V6, 28K Miles

We are in a financial situation now and I need to sell it and get something with a lower payment (we pay $358 per month now). We own about $15,900 on it

Can I sell or trade something that we owe this amount on?
    ... **Terry, what do you think my car would be worth as a trade?

Canton, OH
    2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon
    2.0l 4 cyl. / 4 speed "sport auto" / FWD
    9800 mi.
    Options: Roof rack, ABS, seat-mounted side airbags, 6-disc in dash CD changer, leather interior, power moonroof
    Condition: A few minor paint chips on the hood, minor scrape on the underside of the front air dam, shoe marks on the interior door panels (which I assume would come off if detailed) otherwise like new interior and exterior. Dunlop tires and brakes are fine, all original. Maintained at the dealership, used synthetic oil since new.
    Thanks!
    =====================================

Canton ..? .. right down the street from the Firestone CC and the NEC, right ....? ..... probably one of the best golf shots Tiger ever made was on the 16th hole on the last day this year ... a 220yrd shot from the bunker with a 7-iron and dropped it like a baby 3ft from the pin ....... musta learned that from me - NOT.! .... I probably would have put 10 people in the emergency room ...l.o.l....

In the meantime ..... we have this 03 Mazda Protege 5 Wagon with 9,800 miles ...

It's got the auto thing, 4 banger, the right color, a little ABS action, side balloons, tunes, some moo cows, slider and those itty bitty miles .......... no paint work, no Popeyes chicken in the back seats, no curb burners and no science experiments..? .. if so, then trade side .. in and around the super tall $10's low low low low $11's ........

zoom zoom ..... let me know what happens ..

Terry.
  • jubiesmomjubiesmom Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for replying-I had been hoping to respond before now, but I have been getting my son started in therapy. I think you guys are right about the lease. I got to thinking about the boys getting sick in the car or something else that could not be avoided.

I called our SSI counselor and you are allowed to have one vehicle, no matter what it is or if you have equity in it or not. Obviously, I misunderstood.

I really need to get something and my soon to be ex needs a truck. I wondered if we went together, if we could get a better deal on trade in and on two vehicles. Would that not make a salesman more likely to deal? Especially at the end of the month?

Thanks-
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    My amateur opinion on that: "it might"--if--you've done your homework, & know what your vehicles are worth, & what the vehicles you're buying are worth. If you don't, you might end up digging yourself in deeper. (Hint--do "reposts" for Terry with all the details before you commit to a deal). It's pretty hard for anyone to answer this w/o knowing all the specifics.

But, I wouldn't "assume" you'll get a better deal buying both vehicles at the same dealer. Are you going to buy used vehicles? That makes it a lot harder to generalize--shopping for 2 of the same brand new cars would probably be more cut & dried. You should really post again when you have specific details about all the vehicles involved. And personally, I'd be as circumspect as possible about your personal situation when talking to car salesmen, but you probably already know that.

*I wondered if we went together, if we could get a better deal on trade in and on two vehicles. Would that not make a salesman more likely to deal?*
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I can hardly believe it myself.

Most likely, the CR-V will be replaced with an MDX at the end of the year. We're looking for a 2004 or a low mileage 2003. With a critter on board (plus everything else we haul on long trips), we need the extra cargo space.
    ..... We were wondering what happened to you ..............

==============================
    **It is a 2000 QX4 with 82K miles. It is pearl white/champagne trim with tan leather interior. All standard options plus moonroof, roof rack, running boards, multi-disc CD changer, after market DVD system w/flip down screen.
    The interior is in good condition. No rips or tears. The leather is clean and in good shape. A few stains on the carpet (kids). The exterior is in fair condition. It has a few paint chips and a ding in the rear bumper. No major damage-only blemish issues. It does have new tires and all of the maintenance is up to date.
    I have checked the NADA and Kelly websites and they both say it should be worth at least $13K even with the blemishes. >>> The dealer offered $8K in trade.
    I owe just under $11K-am I upside down or not? ** ...
    ====================================

The miles are a little tall .. but based on your description $8,0 seems a little on the weak side ... it's probably worth the mid/tall $8's low low low $9's .. I have a funny feelin' because of your location most folks (including the dealer) don't realize what the darn thing is worth .. and the dealer is probably protecting himself by hitting it a little on the low side ....

All in all .. you're not in bad shape only being "around" $2 grand out of whack, most kinda like that $5 grand figure ..l.o.l.... these QX4's are still very popular and still get some $$ .. but probably *not* in your particular zipcode ........ you need to figure out what you want and go from there --- and let me stress this point: **Do Not Lease** especially with a future of Dr visits and medical situations .....

Let us know ................

Terry.
  • sparkyqhsparkyqh Member Posts: 8
    Hi Terry,
    This seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle so I'm reposting. Would very much appreciate your help!

We are going to buying a Ford or Dodge truck, so those are dealers that we would be trading it in to.

Major Options: all the standard luxury stuff (leather, power everything) plus tow brake controller & hitch and hands free phone system
    Condition:
    Good conditon - very minor dings and scratches, (my husband takes good care of his cars) - was detailed recently
    Tires - 2 months old
    Brakes - one year old
    Maintenance - regular maintenance, dealer serviced, all records available. Has had the 60K mile service with timing belt change or whatever expensive thing it is they do at 60K miles
    Other: No accidents or anything. Missing original floor mats, has heavy duty cargo mats instead. This model does not have a 3rd row seat.

We have had this car on cars.com and autotrader for months at prices from $19,900 reduced down to $16,900 (including extended warranty to 2008/100,00 miles) with little interest and no one coming to see it. Just reduced it again today to $15,900. (update: still no calls - maybe now people think there is something wrong with it because it's priced below all the others!)

If you could tell me what it is actually worth to a dealer so I can negoiate a fair deal for the new truck, that would be great!
    Thanks!
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I'm not sure why she wouldn't want to keep the QX4 since they can keep one vehicle and still keep SSI. She knows the history of the vehicle and maintenance. It apparantly has been pretty reliable. Even with the gas mileage penalty, it might cost an extra $1000 per year to use this for the trips over the most fuel efficient standard econobox ride.

I am sure the QX4 is probably an easy vehicle to get the little one in and out of, plus a smooth ride for an upset kids stomach. I would think about the kid, the QX4 has the DVD player for the long trips and a good ride. Why not keep it and get rid of your junker truck which is what you really need to find out the value. I cannot imagine getting anything any nicer for $11,000 at the same kind of loan terms you have now.

I would think she should look into the possibility if the payments need to be smaller, refinancing the QX4 versus taking the $2-3K negative equity. Sell the old truck for what it is worth, take that cash money to lower the amount financed and refinance (if you need to lower the payment) the QX4 again in your name so you have only one vehicle again and go from there. If you do not need to lower the payment, think about how many payments are left and whether or not your loan has a prepayment penalty on the principal. If it doesn't have the penalty and you can afford the current payments, you can take the extra cash and put it on the principal of the QX4 to get it paid off sooner. Just do the math on the loan options to see what is the best option for your financial situation.
  • ejbgrinderejbgrinder Member Posts: 1
    Nothing like fall weather in a convertible... What would be dealer retail on:

Los Angeles/CA
    2002 Audi TT
    2 door roadster
    1.8 liter turbo, 5-speed manual
    FWD
    25K miles
    Silver, black roof, black interior
    All options except navigation system: 17" wheels, power convertible roof, heated seats, premium stereo, CD changer, Xenon lights, garage door opener (Audi calls it "homelink"), computer, copholders.

Condition:

One slight ding (no paint damage) in door. One ding under door.
    Few very small scratches on back, under trunk lid.
    Original tires & brakes.
    All maintenance by dealer.

What do you think?

/ejb
  • nctimnctim Member Posts: 1
    Terry,

What is reasonable trade-in in this market? Had dealer offer me 21.7k without even looking at the car today. Amazingly, this is the payoff.

04 Suburban LT K1500
    5.3L Flex
    4WD
    24,200 miles
    White/Tan Leather
    Quad buckets, DVD, prem sound with CD changer and XM, 17" prem wheels, Onstar, Dual Air, power seats, sunroof, tow pkg, 3rd seat, lim.slip diff., heated seats, more..
    No dings or scratches, very clean.
    Original tires. Getting good wear - maybe 60% used.
    Original brakes. Original everything...
    Maintained
    No wrecks, claims, no problems at all.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • jubiesmomjubiesmom Member Posts: 7
    I have been studying on refinancing the QX4. I was just a little worried about the mileage and the warranty running out around 100K. My understanding is just to hook the thing up to a computer to see what is wrong can cost at least $100-then you add parts and labor.

You are right about it not being a popular vehicle. You just don't see many Infiniti's around here. As I said the lady at the insurance office asked me twice who made the vehicle. You see a whole lot of Ford SUVs, Chevy and GMC SUVs in our area. In the county adjacent in AR, you start to see more foreign models. There are a whole lot more of the Lexus variety than the Infiniti. You see more Acuras and Land Cruisers also.

The old truck is not mine to sell. It was my grandfather's and my grandma insisted that I use it until we could figure out what to do about the vehicle situation. Thank goodness for grandma's! At least I have had a vehicle to get us where we needed to go.

We have made three trips in the past four days to therapy. It is a hard hour up and a hard hour back. Gas has dropped to 2.09 a gallon, so it just cost me a little over 20 a trip right now. We already have four more appointments scheduled for the first part of next week.

I feel like I am going to have to move closer to his help. He and I neither one are up to that kind of travel after the nights we put in. It just goes against the grain burning 100 bucks a week in gas. I might as well be burning that in rent and saving the wear and tear on us.

Thanks again on the help-let me know what you think about refinancing the QX4. Two of the O2 sensors have gone out and the motor on the driver's side window. All of these have been covered by the warranty. I am just concerned about the warranty expiring very quickly.
    ...... I agree with you, I would "maybe" refi the QX4, but keep it for the next 2/3 years and have any service work done at the local Nissan store ... lot's of "QX4's" out there with 120/160k - and they still pull some serious $$ ..... but then again I don't live in the middle of aaahh nowhere, I mean Oklahoma ...

Terry :blush:
    ... **Hi Terry, am reposting again as folks are posting so fast that I'm getting lost in the shuffle! I hope you can give me an idea of what I can expect to sell my S60 T5 for in the Denver area. I'm really confused, because most of the blue book values range from 16,500 to 18,500, yet all the listings I've seen for comparable cars in the area, dealer and private seller, have them closer to or above 20k, and I doubt they're being negotiated down by 2k.
    2001 Volvo S60 T5
    4 door
    45,500 miles
    Silver exterior/charcoal leather interior
    It is a fully loaded model (see below for features) and in outstanding condition on the interior. Exterior is in excellent condition, near perfect paint with only a few very minor scratches, and no dents or dings. No prior body damage, all maintenance up to date.
    There is one broken fog light and a right front rim that is a little worn from hitting a curb. Tires are also at only about 20% and will need to be replaced very soon. I'm also told I need to replace the mass air flow sensor. I'm probably going to repair the fog light and MAF sensor prior to sale, so there should be no mechanical or appearance issues other than the tires.
    Thanks!
    Ron
    Dual power seats
    Heated seats
    5 disc cd changer
    Cruise
    All power
    =====================================

Mornin' Ron ...... yeah I get lost in the shuffle myself .. between my dog dancing" lessons, my pierogi shows on the Food Channel and my Ant colony counting ........

Out there in Denver ..... we have a 2001 Volvo S60 T5 ... we got the slider, auto, cold pack, good color, right miles and weak rubber ..... .... no Dutch Boys, no battles at Starbucks and no Soccer Mom interior..? ... if so, then trade side ... in and around the low/mid $13's, might maybe see the tall $13's depending on the dealer ....

**I'm really confused, because most of the blue book values range from 16,500 to 18,500, yet all the listings ....**

Volvo's, like Bimmers, Benz's and Land Rovers have a huge Retail book ... in the meantime, dealers don't pay even close to those figures at auction or trade time .... Example - lets figure this: the dealer drops $13,500 into your trade, then drops the rubber $300, does the service $250, a little this and that, a great detail and a CPO $1,500 ..... so by the time he/she is done, they "might maybe" have the mid $15's in it and they would sell that puppy in a heartbeat for $16,9/$17,500 .....

Terry ;)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    The QX4 is essentially a Pathfinder, and Nissans/Infinitis of that era are known to be very reliable vehicles. (The ones being built at their new Canton plant are another story.) My old Altima was the most dependable, durable car I have ever owned, and also the cheapest to operate for a long-term period.

You can save money on service by going to an honest independent mechanic and doing only the stuff the maintenance book recommends. The window motor is something that could have been purchased from a junkyard if the car were out of warranty--I would assume that you might not find a QX4 at a junkyard, but might be able to find a Pathfinder. When I had a late-model VW with trim pieces that kept falling off, I ordered used parts from an online "auto recycler" place.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    As posted awhile ago, I was offered $27,000 trade on my 2003 MDX Touring w/DVD, and $1,369 over invoice on a fairly loaded 2006 Sienna AWD. The "real" deal was really $26,200 on the MDX and $569 over invoice on the Sienna (no difference to me, but the sales manager thought I was driven by the "trade value" and shifted $800 from the Sienna deal to the trade).

Based on what Terry, and others, said in their responses, this was a good deal, and as Terry says, I "need to be there now."

The only reason I really didn't take that deal a month ago was the color on the Sienna was not first choice.

So, went to the dealer today and they now have our first choice color. Best bid on the MDX was $25,500 ($700 less than a month ago) and, again, $569 over invoice on the Sienna. By the way, their stated invoice is consistent with all my research, and that $569 includes everything.

So, I haven't taken the deal yet, but I'm sure we will tonight or tomorrow. I am disappointed in the $700 drop on the trade, but it sounds very consistent with what Terry had said earlier (he stated the dealer could go to the auction and pick up my MDX's "twin" for $25k).

Sounds like a pretty fair deal, huh?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    seems reasonable. If you are really planning to switch cars, might as well bite the bullet. The Sienna is probably going to stay about the same (since you are getting a strong price), and the MDX will likely just continue to go down.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

... **I am disappointed in the $700 drop on the trade ....**

You might be disappointed with the $700 drop on the trade .... but I'm amaaaazed they didn't slap ya upside your head with $24 or less, it's Nov 1st (for all intensive purposes) and the market is dropping ... obviously this dealer is working hard for your business ....

Like my Great Grand Daddy used to say:

You can be a Lion, and you can be a Tiger .... but never be a pig ...

be there .............................

Terry ;)

PS: thats one expensive color for $700 ....
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I have found the following:

2003 Acura MDX Touring
    55,000 miles
    3.5L V6
    Color: Exterior is gray. Interior is the black/gray combination
    Options: Leather, memory seats, NAV, roof, etc.
    Condition: spotless. The seats look hovered in. No scratches or dings that I could see.
    Mechanical: Haven't driven it yet but it runs great and the Michelins look to have 80% tread left.

We want to trade the following:

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-RES
    3.5L V6
    16,000 miles
    color: Gray exterior with gray cloth interior
    condition: Needs a good bath but no accidents, scratches, or dings.

What do you think is a fair price on both sides? Both cars are in the Atlanta, GA suburbs.
    .. **Hi Terry,

Condition:
    Tires - 2 months old
    Brakes - one year old
    Maintenance - regular maintenance, dealer serviced, all records available. Has had the 60K mile service with timing belt change or whatever expensive thing it is they do at 60K miles
    Thanks!
    =============================

October 19th ........? .. I could be late ... ahh, it's better to be late than never ..... good description though ....

In the land of the lost Angels and the land of the pyschotic real estate prices ......... We have a 00 GMC Denali with 71k .. the miles are ok for the year, it's a 4wd, we got the right color, the round things are new and the stoppers are right behind them, we have the tow pack, serviced and you say it's in pretty darn good shape ....... trade side, in and around the low/mid $11's, might find a dealer to drop the low low low low low low low $12's in it if he just got out of brain surgery ...

**We have had this car on cars.com and autotrader for months at prices from $19,900 reduced down to $16,900** .........

You were asking "how much" for this dude ..???? ------------- You went from the sublime to the ridiculous ... Yiiiikes.! ... it's a 00 Denali, not a DB-7 ....

$19,900 .....? .. where the heck did you get that figure from ...? .... what am I saying..? .. where the heck did you get $16,900 from ..?!? ..... no wonder you haven't received any interest in "months" - it's waaaaay over-priced..! ..... that's like trying to sell a 4 bedroom house with one bathroom for a million dollars ...l.o.l.....

Super ad, better detail and: $14,900 *asking* and cut that sucker loose for the first $13,900/$14,500 ............

$16,9/ $19,900 ....???????? --- Oh my gawd ..............

Terry :sick:
    .. **I have found the following:
    2003 Acura MDX Touring
    55,000 miles
    3.5L V6
    Color: Exterior is gray. Interior is the black/gray combination
    Options: Leather, memory seats, NAV, roof, etc.
    Condition: spotless. The seats look hovered in. No scratches or dings that I could see.
    Mechanical: Haven't driven it yet but it runs great and the Michelins look to have 80% tread left.

We want to trade the following:
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-RES
    3.5L V6
    16,000 miles
    color: Gray exterior with gray cloth interior
    condition: Needs a good bath but no accidents, scratches, or dings.
    What do you think is a fair price on both sides? Both cars are in the Atlanta, GA suburbs.
    ==================================

In the land of the Falcons ... we have a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-RES with 16,000 short miles ............. the color is right, no soccer Mom interior, no affairs at Maaco, good color and no battles at K-mart ........ trade side, in and around the mid/high $20ish figure, might maybe see the low low low low low low $21 figure .....

Now, we want to flip the 04 Ody for the 03 MDX..? ....... the MDX has 55k (kinda tall) good color, nav, rubber is kinda deep and you "think" it's pretty fat daddy for an 03 ....... the dealer might have paid the super tall $22's, low low $23's for it ... figure a this and that (no CPO.?) and it might hit the table at the tall $23's low low $24's .... figure a little profit - and you might be trading for your Ody and in and around the $4ish figure ...... I think you're going backwards .... what are they asking ....?

Terry.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Maybe. But the MDX has "stuff" and it's AWD. The Ody is nice but it doesn't have a roof and the lease is ending in 6 months. The buyout is $21,000 or so on the Ody.

The MDX is $22,300 and they were saying $21,000-ish for the Odyssey so we are looking at between $1500-$2000 difference. The "boss" is going to look at the MDX today and see if he likes it or not. If so, we might even trade the Si and the Ody to cut down on the number of cars in the driveway.

I will let you know how it turns out.
  • vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    Terry,

Wondering if you can give me a trade in value for the following...

2003 Murano SL
    Silver outside... black inside
    2WD
    Central FL (Tampa/Orlando)
    just under 31k miles
    Premium Package (Leather guts, sunroof, Bose 6 disc sound system, power everything, HID headlights)... No Nav, DVD or Traction Control, though

a small ding on each side of her... plus the front driver's corner of the bumper has a pretty good scrape in it from a parking lot pole, but not a hole or anything though. Also, the car has a few paint chips on the front end (the paint on the Murano is so thin!)

Tires are original and pretty worn (about 75% maybe)... Alternater is less than 500 miles old and, other than the few mishaps mentioned above, she has been babied and Zainoed since day one, so the paint really shines when clean.

I've got a dealer making me a great offer on a vehicle if I buy by Monday... trying to get in there in Sunday, because of Halloween. If you can't respond by then, no biggie! kbb shows about $19,500 and that doesn't sound too bad, but I want to make sure I get my full value for it.

Also, what would the benefit of slapping new shoes on her be? Would I see a return on investment for doing that, or is it pretty moot if I'm trading tomorrow?

You've helped me before and I really appreciate it, Terry! Thanks!!!

~vg