Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    fooie8fooie8 Member Posts: 4
    My Altima is a 4 door sedan. The warranty is transferrable.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Carmax gave me a buy it now quote of $16.5 for my 2014 Hyundai Tucson SE with the amp I had installed. My stereo installer told me it would be cost prohibitive to take it out of this vehicle because of the complicated installation he had to do. So probably would just let it go if I do trade, that number is good for a week from them and doubt it would go down that much in the next few weeks. Right now VW is at $15k and said they'd possibly go up another $500. Also have it in Craigslist but for a bit more just to see if I get any interested folks.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    DO you get any kind of sales tax credit in Fla to make a trade beneficial? Otherwise, that carmax offer is strong.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Agree with @stickguy‌. That's a very strong offer on your Tuscon.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm still on tenterhooks for that number on the A8L... The suspense is killing me. The earliest ones with the space frame -- late 90s -- had something like the record for depreciation. They are gorgeous gars though, all generations. A couple years ago I was passed by a guy who was obviously a student, driving one of those early ones in dark green. The car looked just a little worn, nothing too terrible yet, but it must have been one major repair from the crusher aluminum recycling center. I should get one when I retire.. idle hands are the devil's workshop.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    A previous boss bought a 1999 around 2004 for about $25K. He dumped so much money into that thing including a transmission for about $10K. His justification was that at his comfortable lease payment of $1000 a month, it was like paying for 10 months up front. Of course, it was costing him something every month dealing with the little issues.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm going to take a crack at the Audi A8 for at trade-in value of about $12,000. But that's just appraiser's intuition. Let's see what the stats say.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,952
    Altima - well, I think the history is OK. I mean, with the extra warranty, I'd call it a wash. Maybe, possibly, its even worth extra to someone. But I'd just go with straight normal pricing/value on it. $13k trade, $16k private party is pretty much top of the mark.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    we won't know the A8L value until he comes back and answers the questions.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

For a friend...

2012 Toyota Camry SE V6
    Auto
    30k Miles
    Gray over Black Leather
    Moonroof
    Nav
    JBL Audio
    Leather
    No runs/hits/errors

Located around Seattle. Looking for trade-in value.

Does anyone know if Toyota charges tax to a non-Toyota dealer taking a lease car on trade?

Did i answer this?? $16.5k-17k.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    No you hadn't. Thanks, Q!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    jackm6jackm6 Member Posts: 5
    hi all, happy holidays. chicago area, 2010 MDX tech package, black, no accidents 36k miles. no issues. thoughts on trade in? thinking my best window is now in the winter. looking at potentially a used BMW 535x drive or Merc e350 4matic, both 2013s by end of December
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:

I priced it as an A8L V-8 with 90,000 in "clean" condition.
  • Options
    beofgodbeofgod Member Posts: 17
    I wanted to toss around a deal I have on the table for a 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited w/27,000 miles without nav in NJ that I will be traveling from Md. to pick up. The price quoted OTD is $20,463...I have been hunting for weeks and this is the best deal I can find for the miles...I wanted to confirm my feelings with someone else's knowledge...
    Thxs,
    Al
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Any idea about how much money the dealer has in this puppy?

2013 Challenger SRT 392

Thanks!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

qbrozen said:

I priced it as an A8L V-8 with 90,000 in "clean" condition.
    But what if its hot pink? ;b

• Options
    MDX - quite a range on these for some reason. hmmm... $23k-24k

Legacy - that's pretty cheap. With those miles, this is probably $18k at the block.

Challenger - they probably have roundabout $35k in it. ... oh, wait, its a stick. hmmm... what the hell is with that number on the bumper?? boy, well, I've only got 2 manuals to compare to, but they each pulled considerably less than the autos. For example, an auto with 12k miles got $34,750, while a manual with 3k miles got $34k. SO... Let's call it $34k, I guess. I'd like to know about that number, though. Is that maybe a racing thing??

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Legacy - that's pretty cheap. With those miles, this is probably $18k at the block.

Thanks for taking a look, I put a deposit on it to hold it till I pick it up...
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Challenger - they probably have roundabout $35k in it. ... oh, wait, its a stick. hmmm... what the hell is with that number on the bumper?? boy, well, I've only got 2 manuals to compare to, but they each pulled considerably less than the autos. For example, an auto with 12k miles got $34,750, while a manual with 3k miles got $34k. SO... Let's call it $34k, I guess. I'd like to know about that number, though. Is that maybe a racing thing??

Yeah, that number is odd- haven't seen it on any other 392s either...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    jackm6jackm6 Member Posts: 5
    qbrozen said:

Thanks, will report back once I can actually get out shopping end of this month.
  • Options
    Q, got the VW dealer to match Carmax...the sales guy saw that I was gonna walk so he told me to sit tight and he'd see what he could do. Not only did he get them to match Carmax, got them to switch the 17" alloys from the diesel since they looked so much better and they waived the $100 fee for the swap. Used the Truecar.com pricing and think I did pretty well...even the sales guy said hey, you got a real good deal here! So bottom line, who really knows when it comes to car sales but I know I'm extremely happy with things with pick-up tomorrow late afternoon before the sun goes down.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Good job. Hope you enjoy this one for a long time. Certainly a lot more fun to drive than the Tuscan.

• Options
    RB, why are you looking at that? It has the hole in the roof you refuse to get. You ain't buying this one.

• Options
    beofgod said:
    That is a sharp looking car. Probably great in snow too! price seems reasonable enough for the miles. If you have been looking that far afield, you should know the deal is right.

• Options
    stickguy said:

RB, why are you looking at that? It has the hole in the roof you refuse to get. You ain't buying this one.

I DO refuse to pay for a hole in the roof on a new car- can't be that picky used- especially since the idiot dealers check the sunroof box without a second thought. I did find a nice 2015 R/T- but it has a significant hp disadvantage- it's nearly 100 hp down compared to a 392... :(

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,325
    A kid around the corner had a 392 Challenger. It didn't have a number on the back bumper.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393

Q, got the VW dealer to match Carmax...the sales guy saw that I was gonna walk so he told me to sit tight and he'd see what he could do. Not only did he get them to match Carmax, got them to switch the 17" alloys from the diesel since they looked so much better and they waived the $100 fee for the swap. Used the Truecar.com pricing and think I did pretty well...even the sales guy said hey, you got a real good deal here! So bottom line, who really knows when it comes to car sales but I know I'm extremely happy with things with pick-up tomorrow late afternoon before the sun goes down.

Congrats sandman!
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    Thanks, think we'll be very happy with it. We finally both got what we wanted this time even though the Tucson was a fine vehicle, did everything great. I just wasn't in love with it anymore. I absolutely love the Golf and since they swapped the 17" rims from the diesel for me, it looks even better in the blue color. And that 1.8t engine...sweet!!!

• Options
    I do love that lighter blue color. I would probably have gotten that.

• Options
    @beofgod‌

Nice ride. OTD for just over $20K for an '11 with less than 30K, leather, HK Sound, & the 6 cyl is a great deal. You saved yourself $10K from buying new & even about $5K from buying a mid level (not so loaded) 4 cyl premium like mine! Enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    @beofgod‌ Nice ride. OTD for just over $20K for an '11 with less than 30K, leather, HK Sound, & the 6 cyl is a great deal. You saved yourself $10K from buying new & even about $5K from buying a mid level (not so loaded) 4 cyl premium like mine! Enjoy!
    stickguy said:
    Here's a link to it...
    http://www.lynnesnissan.com/type/used-inventory/2011-Subaru-Legacy-3.6-R-Limited-4dr-Sdn-H6-Auto-3.6R-Ltd-Pwr-Moon-3.6L-H6-24V-MPFI-DOHC-571423190
    That is a sharp looking car. Probably great in snow too! price seems reasonable enough for the miles. If you have been looking that far afield, you should know the deal is right.
    Thanks, feel right this time too! I have turn down quite a few deals because I just didn't feel it....thanks for the confirmations, now all I have to do is pray for 200,000 miles! 
  • Options
    @qbrozen‌, Master of the Auction

I'm looking for a trade in value of the following vehicle (My Dad's):

2011 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 4WD
    Black/Black
    66,000 Miles
    20" Polished Aluminum Wheels
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    DVD Player
    3rd Row
    HD Trailer Tow Package (Trailer Brake Control)
    Tires are original, but have been rotated with every oil change
    Exterior - I can make it look like a black mirror with my trusty Griot's random orbital
    - We did have some paint work done on the right rear passenger door that was repaired professionally and will not show up on a carfax

Interior - I'll need to have it professionally cleaned, but he does transport a dog with him to work 6 days a week. The dog chewed through the 2 rear seat belts and there are some teeth marks on the left side plastic trim over the wheel well.

Given the mileage and condition, I'm sure the car will be sent to auction

Thank-you as always for your help!

• Options

Black/Black
    66,000 Miles
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    DVD Player
    3rd Row
    Exterior - I can make it look like a black mirror with my trusty Griot's random orbital
    - We did have some paint work done on the right rear passenger door that was repaired professionally and will not show up on a carfax

Interior - I'll need to have it professionally cleaned, but he does transport a dog with him to work 6 days a week. The dog chewed through the 2 rear seat belts and there are some teeth marks on the left side plastic trim over the wheel well.

• Options
    beofgod said:

nyccarguy said:

@beofgod‌

Nice ride. OTD for just over $20K for an '11 with less than 30K, leather, HK Sound, & the 6 cyl is a great deal. You saved yourself $10K from buying new & even about $5K from buying a mid level (not so loaded) 4 cyl premium like mine! Enjoy!

stickguy said:

beofgod said:

Thanks, feel right this time too! I have turn down quite a few deals because I just didn't feel it....thanks for the confirmations, now all I have to do is pray for 200,000 miles! 

You don't need to pray for 200K miles, just properly maintain the car;)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    nyccarguy said:

Black/Black
    66,000 Miles
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    DVD Player
    3rd Row

66k miles on the original 20" tires? WOW. Used values are quite surprising. I'd have to put this one on the low end, though. Figure maybe $28-$29k. Could be higher if they don't realize all that is wrong with it.

• Options
    I can't believe people are paying in the mid-30s for a 4 YO truck like this with that many miles. I wouldn't.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I can't believe people are paying in the mid-30s for a 4 YO truck like this with that many miles. I wouldn't.

These trucks are GM's specialty. It's one of those things you look at on paper and say: "this is basically an enclosed 4 door pickup truck. I don't get it." He bought a 2010 when the lease was up on his Sport Package equipped 2007 X5. He bought this current 2011 as a leftover in 2012 (about a month before I got my BMW) because they offered 0 financing for 72 months. He said: "sure I'll take a new one for free money." He's about to get a 2015. Doesn't want to even look at anything else. For him it is great. Plenty of space for his dog in the back (a 100+ lb 18 month old Great Dane). It is luxurious and has a great ride to it that's neither firm nor floaty. It is a good looking truck. My parents have taken it with them on multiple road trips (over my Mom's 2013 X5). The Ladder Box frame, solid rear axle, 4WD, & pushrod V8 are old school "tech" that just keep on working.

My best friend who is extremely picky had a 2009 & 2011 LTZ Tahoe. He just picked up a 2015 for him and his wife. He LOVES them.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Good advise nyccarguy I will do both, can't have one without the other...plus I have a great dealership that I can trust! I hope that I will be picking it up tomorrow...
  • Options
    @qbrozen‌

Let's try this one again my my Mom:

Trade-In Price

2013 X5 35i X-Drive Premium
    6 cyl Turbo
    AWD
    Sapphire Black Metallic/Black Leather
    Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, cold weather pkg
    Lthr, back up cam, navigation, hot seats
    26,000 miles
    Excellent Condition Inside & Out

Thanks!

• Options
    ehhhh... anywhere from $40k-$42k.

• Options
    Any idea what the dealer may have in this sled?
    2012 Boss 302

• Options
    well, one just like it with nearly the same miles sold at the NJ auction 5 days ago for $34k. So that seems like a good price.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

ehhhh... anywhere from $40k-$42k.

That's for the X5? Thanks!

• Options
    yup, X5

• Options
    qbrozen said:

well, one just like it with nearly the same miles sold at the NJ auction 5 days ago for $34k. So that seems like a good price.

Thank you!

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    QBrozen, could you give me your opinion on trade-in value for my 2011 Mustang GT Premium in zip 75035? One owner, automatic, black with red stripes over brick red interior with 45K miles. Has all adds that year but nav and glass roof, so equipped with comfort pkg, xenon lamps, 19 in wheels and backup cam. Garage kept in excellent condition. Tires have 4K on them. Listed for $38K, paid $33K. NADA trade is $19,600 and they are currently hitting me at $18,500. I always sell my vehicles myself but the plan is to surprise my wife with a '15 GT for Christmas so I don't have an opportunity to jack around on Craigslist like I usually do without raising suspicion as its her car. Most of what I'm seeing retail is in the $21-23K range asking but not sure what they are actually going for. Any help is appreciated.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    js06gv said:

[..] the plan is to surprise my wife [..]
    so I don't have an opportunity to jack around on Craigslist [..]

Great idea for a romantic surprise and all, but is it REALLY worth the $2,000 difference between trade-in and street price? Could be a little less, could be quite a bit more, depending on a lot of factors.

Find a cutesie way of telling her on Christmas, and take her shopping. Also, depending on where you live, that car may be a bear to sell in winter..

Of course, it's your wife, your car, your money.. but I wanted to throw that out for perspective.

After I sprung a leased Cruze on her in 2013, my wife said never again to buy a car for her without her test-driving it... two years on I want to give it back and she wants to milk it to the last drop. 200 miles left, and two weeks... guess she has gotten used to it.
    The two main objections: Black interior (no likey) and no rear wiper (really). Go figure.

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    Their offer is damned high. They can pick one up at auction for less. Yours must glow in the dark and be front-line ready.

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Thank you for the help. I figured a loaded up Premium would be worth a little more than all the base model GTs I keep seeing out there, but I guess those options are only meaningful to me when I'm paying for them on the front side!

Forgot to mention in my original post that they are at invoice less $1,500 on the new one (another loaded Premium with some Ford rebate and another for competitive lease). So you would say good deal overall?

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic