Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

It's Time to Play "WHO AM I"?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    They are okay, but having driven a few, I'm not sure they have ALL arrived. The JD Power ratings are not very good overall. Kia is "right up there" with Suzuki and Jeep, so that tells you something.

But I agree, they'll get better and then we can pick on the Chinese and Indian cars.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I cut the Tata Nano some slack because, let's face it, it competes with donkeys for that price.
  • Options
    But it might have the 50,000 nanosecond warranty!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I'm thinking of another car brand that offers a bicycle by the same name. The bike folds up in case you want to jump out of an airplane with it.

The same company has a perfume in case you get sweaty riding the bike.
  • Options
    stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Well, I know Peugeot made bikes for a long time. OTOH I think I've seen a BMW folding bike. . .
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Quite a few do. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW I think all have bikes. I know Hummer and Ferrari has perfume too.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I don't even want to know what Hummer perfume might smell like. :sick:
  • Options
    stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited March 2010
    I can smell it now. The generic rip-off version is called Gymsox.
  • Options
    It smells like burning brakes I think. I was going to buy a folding bike for my car but when I got on it, everyone told me I looked like a Shriner. That hurts.
  • Options
    HUMMER was the brand I was thinking of.

TruckTrend
  • Options
    Join a canoe club and get a discount on this new car.

What brand am I?
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Subaru :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    :)

American Canoe Association members are eligible to participate in the Subaru VIP Partners Program. VIP Partners participants can save up to $3,300* off the MSRP.
  • Options
    That would be GREAT for someone shopping for a new car that just built a house on a flood plain! :)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803
    a new car that just built a house on a flood plain!

Wait, the new car just built a house?! I want that car! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    You know, when I wrote that, I was going to go back and change "that" to "who", because it was careless, but then I said "Ah, no one would notice".

Little did I know. :surprise:
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803
    Hahahahahahaha; thanks for the laugh, at any rate, Shifty! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Nothing gets past folks here. ;)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yawn....

My automatic transmission pan was held in place by ONE bolt?

What am I?
  • Options
    Chevy Vega, and it was not intentional! LOL
  • Options
    Nope, try again!
  • Options
    Civic CVCC?

An educated guess, knowing who is asking the question.
  • Options
    Nope!
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Boy, that sounds like something VW would do with the old Beetle...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    early 60s Buick Special like this one?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716
    AHHHH! The Attack of the Fender Skirts continues!!!!
  • Options
    Bingo!

And what a POS of a transmission it was.

One of the worst ever from GM unless you count the Turboglides.

Good Job!
  • Options
    Slim Jim from Pontiac, also sucked. :surprise:
  • Options
    Ah, yes, the Roto Hydramatic. Another lousy transmission from GM.

You know, I don't think Ford or Chrysler ever made any "bad" transmissions, did they?

The Fordomatics, Cruisamatics, Powerflites and Torqueflights were app pretty good as I recall.

I suppose we could pick on the Fluid Drive clunkamatics but they did hold up pretty well.
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Might as well add Buick's Dynaflow to the list of bad transmissions. Although totally different from Chrysler's Fluid Drive, the same caveats apply; slow, inefficient, frustrating, even, but durable.
  • Options
    I don't think I would put the Dynaflows in the "bad" catagory.

Yes, they were pretty lazy but they never seemed to break.

Chevy's Powerglides were pretty tough but when they went to the aluminum ones in 1962, they would start to slip between first and second.

But, back in the late 60's an overhaul on a Powerglide was around 200.00 and most rebuilders would put in heavy duty clutches and they wouldn't cause trouble after that.

" You'll slip and slide with Powerglide"
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "You'll slip and slide with Powerglide."

Wasn't that saying also applied to Dynaflow, even though it didn't rhyme?

How about "steady and slow with Dynaflow."

Incidentally, I agree with your comments. I mentioned durability as a positive for Dynaflow.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yep, that description certainly applies to the Dynaflows!

At least the Powerglides from 1953 on would start in first gear and shift by themselves to second.

I knew a kid who would abuse his dad's 1956 Buick Century to no end yet it never broke.

He would take off from a light by flooring it in drive and without lifting his foot off of the gas, he would drop it into low at about 30 MPH.

The rear tires would let out a chirp, the front end of that Buick would bounce up in the air and it would take off! At about 50 MPH, he would put it back into drive.

I don't remember it ever breaking.

That Buick surprised a lot of people and whipped a lot of cars nobody thought it could.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,958
    You know, I don't think Ford or Chrysler ever made any "bad" transmissions, did they?

Oh, yes they most certainly did.

I know of 1 of each off the top of my head.

I believe the code name for Ford's was something like CDA4? It was attached to the 4-cyl in the mazda 626. It wasn't IF it would fail, it was WHEN. And the answer was typically around 80k.

Chrysler's was the 4-spd they used in all their minivans. I know SOME didn't fail, but definitely a large number did way before 100k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Yeah, you're right.

Since this is a Classic Cars forum I guess I was thinking of some of the older cars.

I didn't know about the Ford transmission but those Chrysler transmissions were really bad. Ford also made an oddbakk transmission called (I think) the FMX that weren't much good.

In the 70's, GM had a weakling TH 200 transmission that they started out putting in the smaller Chevys like Novas but they they got brave and started putting them in the Impalas and Carpices.

The transmission shops just love them and made a lot of money!
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Those transmissions Ford put in Windstalls for 95 were a piece of work. They were fine while they lasted but had this aluminum piston inside that was not up to the task and would invariably fail. By 96 they had replaced that piston with a stainless steel one.

Up until the moment that piston bends it was a nice enough transmission. It was the same one they used in the Taurus and wasn't really up to the bigger heft of the van.

After my experience with the Windstall my advice to anyone buying them was to 80K on it and not another inch. That's when everything started falling apart.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    and I'm not a Smart car, was sold in NA, and I'm newer than 1960...what am I?

Altho I will confess I haven't read from the beginning of this thread so I guess there is a good chance this has been guessed already.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716
    edited January 2011
    Renault Le Car:
  • Options
    I didn't know that but I do seem to remember that when I worked for Sears years ago there was some oddball car that used ONE bolt to hold on the wheels. It was right in the middle of the rim.

We had to use an adapter on the tire machine and wrestle them onn and off like a bicycle tire. Seems like those were used on Simcas or Citerons or some other wierd car.

Anyone?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok I'll give you that one, but it was an old Renault 12 I was remembering.
    A BIL of my best friend had one that he beat the living daylights out of :(

edit - Found a pic of a 12, but i could have sworn his had round headlights, and more square-like distinct trunk quite cantilevered out back.
    Musta been a 10.
  • Options
    Maybe an old MG?
  • Options
    Both of my MG's that I had had knock offs so, yeah, I guess you could say it had one bolt but that's not what I was talking about.

These had a small hold and they used about a 3/4 inch bolt.

Maybe it was a Renault? The French did some strange things.
  • Options
    Could have been. So I guess we should commend them for upping the fasteners to 3 from one, haha
  • Options
    To change my rear tire you had to take off my fender. Who am I?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If it was a bike, then both the Honda Gold Wing and ST.

But since I'm pretty sure you meant car, I'll go with a Metropolitan?
  • Options
    Nope, not a Metro. 50s-60s foreign car.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "The rear tires would let out a chirp, the front end of that Buick would bounce up in the air..."

That was considered neat, back in the day. Only a few American cars could do that.
  • Options
    Citroen DS?
  • Options
    Well, those Buicks used the old lever shocks in those days and they were no doubt worn out which would make the bounce even higher.

Still, it was something to watch. I can't imagine the shock to that driveline!
  • Options
    Gold Star! Yes, the Citroen DS require fender removal to change a rear tire. On the positive side, that was only one bolt I believe, and the car jacked itself up. :P
This discussion has been closed.