Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S70

Comments

• lgammilllgammill Member Posts: 18
    I picked up my car from the dealer yesterday. There was a software upgrade for the new transmission (action code 593, I think)! So thanks for the input VovloScott. It will take a few days for the transmission to "readjust" per the dealer, so I will keep you all posted.

Also, regarding the seats -- the dealer ordered new back rest frames for both front seats. Parts are on special order, and I don't know when they will arrive. Hope that fixes the problems with my seats!

lgammill
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    anyone know of a good body shop in NJ .. north/central area for volvo repairs?

re s70 2000 tranny's..mine has been fine so far.. but, does that action code 593 apply to all s70 auto 5 speeds, even if your not experincing problems?

thanks
  • kalajiankalajian Member Posts: 43
    Joe, I bought a 98 V70 T-5 two weeks ago, with 60k on it. If you have no a/c on the car you are considering buying, you could be looking at a major expense if you need to replace the a/c evaporator. Check Volvospeed for the magnitude of this job. It could cost a lot to fix ($1000 plus if you take it to a shop to do the work).

My car had the following problems (none of which I was aware of until after I bought it):

1. Bad switch on transmission to shift from s/e/w modes;
    2. broken torque shaft mount on top of engine (this is a common problem and easy to overlook);
    3. Turbo oil return line was leaking (also common problem);
    4. Oil leak from drain plug (existing copper washer was not factory aluminum, and probably hasn't been changed in a while);
    5. At 60,000 miles, car needs a major service, which costs around $500.00. You can tell if the 60,000 mile service has been done by looking at the large fuel filter under the car, just in front of the rear axle. The original fuel filter from the factory is covered with protective black undercoating-when they replace the filter for the 60,000 mile service, it won't have any undercoating on it. You'll also need a transmission service at this mileage;
    6. I paid $20,700 for my car. I live in South California. I think I paid right around wholesale book. I 've been shopping for a few months, and these cars don't appear to be widely available at discount prices unless you are buying a base model with no options.

This is my sixth Volvo. Also owned a 88 760 turbo wagon, 86 240 wagon, 83 240 dl wagon, '78 240GT and a 1965 P1800. Still have the P1800 and the 760 turbo. These are great cars, however, they do have their quirks. I think that I have enough knowledge about the cars, and enough ability to keep them running most of the time without having to spend too much on maintenance and repairs. The new V70 is causing me some anxiety though, with all the new computer diagnositic tools needed to service it, my days of wrenching on my cars may be drawing to a close. Good luck.
    dpares,

I don't know if that action code 593 applies to all 2000 volvo s70 automatics. When I called my service manager about it, he laughed at me, and put me through to the mechanic's voicemail. Apparenlty the mechnanic called some service line and they said to install this "action code" (whatever that is; I think is it a software upgrade). In any event, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer about it. I mostly noticed the problem at slower speeds, the car would jerk hard when it downshifted to a lower gear. Kind of like if you are going to fast in a manual and you downshift and get a swift kick. It also sounded funny when it happened. I've only driven the car twice since I've gotten it back, but have not noticed the problem again (yet...)

Good luck.

lgammill
  • cparker898cparker898 Member Posts: 9
    Hello....I purchased a 2000 Volvo S70GLT and have a question.....are the power window switches for the rear doors lighted at night? My front switches are lighted but my back ones are not, and I wondered if this is with all S70's or just my car has a problem. Thanks much for responses!!
    I have a 2000 S70 SE -- I checked last night and my window switches in the rear are not lighted either. Hope this helps!

lgammill
  • ahmnycahmnyc Member Posts: 1
    After one year and 6,000 miles, I just had my 2000 s70 base serviced for the first time. Martin Manhattan Volvo charged over $300, with tax. It included tire rotation and balancing, alignment and other things I would not have expected on the first service. The car had been trouble-free. Was I taken?
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Cparker898, I figured out why your rear window switches aren't lighting up. On the master switch, there is an on/off button which allows the driver to have contol whether the rear passengers can roll the windows up and down. If this switch is off, so are the lights in the rear. If the switch is on, then power is enabled to the switch and it lights up. Just thought I'd pass that along to you.

Scott
  • sjpiercesjpierce Member Posts: 1
    Help I'm looking at purchasing my first Volvo...considering 1998..S70...or S90...never had a Volvo and would like info as the nearest dealer is 75 miles away as a single lady in mid- fifties and travel alone need a reliable car any input would be great shopping this Wednesday...Thanks
  • kanaviskanavis Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 98 or 99 T5 (leaning towards a 99 after reading this topic). I've seen some interesting colors (coral, saffron) in the last couple years on various models, and am wondering if anyone is aware of where color information for past model years may be be found.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • jimthornhillonjimthornhillon Member Posts: 1
    In your earlier posting you mentioned the door panels and evap valves on a '98 Volvo S70. Could you elaborate on the problems with those two items? Also, do you have any thoughts re joemgr's posting Sept. 22 where he refers to "2. broken torque shaft mount on top of engine(this is a common problem and easy to overlook);3. Turbo oil return line was leaking (also common problem);"?
    I have over 85000 k on my '98 S70 T5 and love the car despite its well-chronicled minor deficiencies. (The sockets have been replaced and lamp burnout is greatly reduced.) I plan on keeping the car so would appreciate things to look out for as mileage increases.

Jim
  • kalajiankalajian Member Posts: 43
    I posted the Sept. 22 post re: problems with my 98 V70.

Torque shaft-this is the donut shaped motor mount located toward the rear of the engine, on top of the motor, just to the right of center facing the windshield. The part cost under $13.00 at Volvo, but is a pain to install. I did it myself, using a large washer, bolt and nut, to "draw" the piece into the mounting bracket. The volvo dealers use an underhood portable hydraulic press to install, or remove the bracket and use a fixed press to install the new part. My costs for washers and bolt to install it was under $2.50. You can use an aftermarket engine mount from IPD for around $25.00 to $30.00, won't need to press it into the bracket, but it gives a more rigid mount that factory mount which might increase strain on your drive train.
    2. Leaking turbo oil return line. I followed the directions posted at volvospeed.com and repaired this myself. Simple fix, took under 30 minutes, beginning to end, parts cost under $3.00 full retail at volvo dealer.
  • ronydronyd Member Posts: 1
    Is the 160HP adequate for a V70? I have a chance to buy a 2000 leftover V70 with 160HP. Am I making a misktake?
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 1999 Base S70--168hp. I find the power more than adequate in most situations (90%). This includes pulling out into traffic on city/county roads, merging onto highways, and highway speeds of 70-80+mph. No, the base model won't win any races from a stoplight, and growls unhappily when I have to put the whip to it, but for me, not required that often. Yes, there are times when I'd like more power, e.g. when I travel to the mountains, and was thinking that next time around I'd like the light turbo. BUT, I get 31-32 mpg at 70+ mph, even when we went up to the mountains this past weekend, and 23+ around town. The new S60 will be available in a few weeks, and if I do trade, it will be for an S60 base model with the value package, not the turbo. There is another reason for looking at a turbo model; a tighter suspension. Although it will ride harder than the base model, it will handle and accelerate from a stop better. BTW, I am also looking at the Mercedes C240; without all the techno-goop, about the same price as the S60. It has a V6 that is about the same hp (around 170), and drives very nicely.
    I have a 2000 S70SE .. real nice car and very adequate as far as power is concerned... only thing is I never have gotten clost to 30 mpg on mine.. my trip computer say an average of 25.4 and doesnt change much .. I do mostly highway driving .. are you getting 30 with an auot or 5 speed?
    I am getting 31+ with the base automatic (1999). I have 22K miles on the car now, and noticed a steady increase in mileage once above 10K. Normal around town and highway driving yields an average of 24-25, but on a straight shot trip, 31+. An example would be a trip to Charlston/Kiawah (South Carolina) from Charlotte, NC is 3-4 hours, 65+mph (speed limits from 65-70), all highway, no traffic lights. I keep it on cruise control at 70-75, and the car just hums along. Same thing with a trip to Asheville from Charlotte; same straight shot, no lights. I do have the oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles, and use Exxon Premium (93) only. My S70 seems to like this treatment. ONe more thing.
  • mjhalliganmjhalligan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone with a 1998 volvo s70 had trouble with headlights, taillights, directional lights, etc. I have had the car (new) since aug 98 and I have just replaced my 16th light!!! Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #127:

mjhalligan, this is a well documented issue discussed here and on the BrickBoard (www.brickboard.com) at length many times in the past. The '98 70 series cars shipped with bad turning signal sockets. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for the replacement of the sockets. Once the sockets are fixed the turning signal issue is fixed. Have you been replacing bulbs yourself or has your dealer? If your dealer has been doing all these replacements you should change dealers immediately.

If you use DRLs your headlights will burn out prematurely due to excessive use. I've been using them for years and don't expect much more than 14 - 18 months of use before I replace a set. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • unhappydriverunhappydriver Member Posts: 1
    I have the exactly the same problems with my 1998 S70. We are at the dealership every couple of weeks. If its not the tail lights, its the headlights. If its not the dummy lights its the back door locks. We have had two cd players and probably 8 turn signals replaced (haven't had turn signal problem in several months). We are going to try and sell the car.
    In the 2001 Consumer Reports buying guide, they list the 99 & 2000 S70 as a "used car to avoid", but on the frequency of repairs, it seems to fair quite favorably. Any comments on why Consumer Reports thinks the S70 has such poor reliablity and does not recommend as a wise purchase?
    I have a 2000 S70SE with 8500 miles..so far, no problems what so ever.. I know people with 99's and they have quite a bit of trouble with them... but seems what ever was causing those problems does not exsist on mine... so far, a great car!
  • burger5burger5 Member Posts: 7
    Thought if I spent a little extra cash I would have the pleasure of owning a reliable car, it's been nothing but a huge disappointment. The first year my S70 was in 14 times. The dealer in Chicago suburbs, was rude and not accommodating. Because it went in for something different almost every time it didn't fall under the lemon law. I have tried all the way up to Volvo USA with no response. Now it's been in 18 times and I'm going to take a loss and sell it. I will never be a consumer of a Volvo product again, and thankfully I have educated many friends and family on this disappointing and unreliable vehicle so they won't have to go through what I have.
    Burger5 - What year was your S70.....I'm sorry to hear of some reliability problems. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a 99 or 00 S70 in the spring, so the feedback is quite valuable to me.
  • mtomlinmtomlin Member Posts: 1
    My wife has owned a 98 S70 T5 (auto) for over two years now. The turn signal bug has reared its ugly head several times, but to my knowledge the last visit to the dealer remedied it for good. Also, the stereo had to be replaced (no charge) about three months ago. Other than that, the vehicle has been trouble free and a pleasure to own. It rides nice, handles wonderfully, and delivers inspiring performance when driven aggressively. My only complaint is the poor performance at the bottom end. Turbo lag is definitely an issue, and a problem that I thought was left behind with the turbo technology of the 80's. Does anyone out there know of a fix? I'm no stranger to performance tuning and tweaking (restored a '68 Camaro..450HP,1/4 mile:12.5 sec, 0-60: 3 to 3.5 sec) and if it were my car, I'd do whatever was necessary to get the boost in down low (nitrous oxide injected into the compressor housing comes to mind first), but this is my wife's car and she won't tolerate much down time for "performance mods". Has anybody come up with a practical remedy?
    22K miles on it. For the most part, they have been trouble free. The car rides and handles nicely, although a bit underpowered (turbo would have fixed this). Dealership is GREAT (University Volvo Charlotte). I had the turn signal problem, but that was fixed under warranty. Plugs were replaced for "hotter" plugs...this fixed the hard start problem (only every once in awhile). I enjoy driving this car every time I get in. I must confess that I am looking to replace it with something that has a little more power, and there are many cars on the list...at the top are the S60 2.4T and V70 2.4T. I rented a new V70 XC wagon for a week on a business trip to NY and NJ last week. The car had 99 miles on it. All I can say is WOW. This new generation is comfortable, powerful, an overall pleasure to drive. The visibility and drivability of the wagon are unmatched by anything else I've test driven, including Audis, Infinitis, Lexus, Subaru.
  • eklndeklnd Member Posts: 4
    I've driven Volvo's for over 10 years now, the last one being a 1998 S70. It has been an absolute nightmare. I am on battery number 3 and was stranded each time. (the battery just dies!) I have replaced headlights, tail lights and turnsignals more times than I can count. I told my service advisor that he should start a "Volvo bulb of the month club". Thank heavens this car was leased and it goes back next week. I decided not to buy a Volvo again and bought an Acura 3.2TL a couple of months ago. It's a wonderful car and is head & shoulders above the Volvo. (and costs less too!) Save yourself alot of grief and don't buy an S70.
  • burger5burger5 Member Posts: 7
    My nightmare - the S70 is a 1998 now has 39K miles. Like the above comment I too have been stranded. 2 batteries later I haven't had the problem in over 8 months - knock on wood!
  • theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    I have a '00 S70 SE w/3200 mi. I am finding that I sometimes have to try to turn the key twice in order for the car to start. It just doesn't seem to want to catch. At first, I thought that I wasn't holding the key long enough (in comparison to the Accord EXL that I traded in), but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone had any similar problems. Thanks for your help.
    I haven't experienced any problems with my car... no starting problems at all.. and its pretty cold here.. As for the 98 S70 problems, I understand that the entire year was a nightmare for Volvo.. I think the 2000's are a much better car (or at least hoping they are.:).. But i'd stay away from a 98' Volvo no matter what model..
  • duke996duke996 Member Posts: 1
    This is my second Volvo with this chassis. The first was a 95 854T which saved my wife's life after a 70mph closing speed head-on collision. It had only 30,000 miles on it, but it was worry free. It was my favorite car EVER. I then bought an old 83 240 while waiting to see if the insurance company would repair the 854T. Sadly, no the roofline had a buckle in it and too costly. The 240 was dog slow but also relatively easy to fix and "cool" in it's own way. After two more (looking for 240's in better cosmetic shape) I got a pristine '93 240 with 168,000 miles. Eventually at 210,000 miles I gave it to my mother-in-law (it still runs like a top) and made the mistake of getting in this S70 GLT. First the familiar wonderful smell of Volvo leather, the seats made for PEOPLE, the blood red exterior paint and the damn close to 854T performance.

At 46000 miles, no problems to mention. Hell ever had a Chrysler Cirrus? Now there's some serious problems!

Volvos Rule! Now if I can just find a '96 850R with no miles, life can end happily.
  • ianrosdaleianrosdale Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

Would you like to have a place where you can talk about your 70-series Volvo? This message is for all Volvo owners, Volvo enthusiasts, prospective Volvo owners, or car enthusiasts in general. The best Volvo enthusiast site has just opened up on the internet, and we need your participation. Building a great Volvo community is what this site is all about. This site includes the 40 series, 60 series, 70 series, 80 series, 200 series, 700 series, 800 series, 900/90 series, and all other Volvo models throughout the years. This new site will only be great if it has a lot of people using and visiting it. Please register and become one of the first to be a part of the newest, best Volvo enthusiast site on the internet. This new site is called SwedeSpeed! I hope to see you there! Please visit us at:

www.SwedeSpeed.com

-Ian Rosdale
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I just saw a big Volvo station wagon (it had a 70 in its name) that had a full passenger side muffler/exhaust w/ bumper cutout, but the driver side had a removable exhaust cutout (with the cutout still in place), no exhaust, and what appeared to be a muffler, just like the other. Would this be a fake muffler to balance out the looks, and if so, why stop short of an exhaust? What gives?
  • avalon8avalon8 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 S70. Not only have I had to replace bulbs on a continuous basis and the battery when the car was 1 mo. old (covered by warranty) but now (out of warranty of course) my rear window will not close- cannot be fixed without replacing the entire master circuit, the window washer fluid tank always shows empty floater stuck-must replace entire unit, radio bulbs are out-must replace entire radio to fix. How absurd!!!
  • joemgrjoemgr Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 S70 which I bought used 3 months ago. Last week the CD player stopped the automatic intake and playing of CD's. The unit can expel discs with no problem, and the radio works fine. When I took it to the dealer, he said a tech hit the reset button, and that should last a while, but he ordered a new unit for me in the meantime (no charge for anything so far). Can someone tell me where this reset button is? I can remove the player easily, but I can't find the reset. Thanks!
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    JoeMgr, once you remove the cd player, remove the plastic strip on the right side and you'll need to use a flashlight to see the small button inside the stereo. Save yourself some time and get a technician to show you where it's at. Resetting them usually does the trick, so I wouldn't bother replacing the unit until it breaks for good.

Scott
  • citizenscitizens Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a leftover 2000 S70GLTSE. This
    is my first Volvo and I'm really enjoying the ride
    comfort(seats in particular). Bought it after my wife was rear-ended and our Chrysler New Yorkerwas totalled(bought it mainly for the safety
    factor as my wife was injured). I now have 4,000 miles on the car and there is an annoying rattle
    coming from the front dash(mainly when going over
    bumps in the road, manhole covers etc). Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem. It seems to get worse as the weather gets
    colder(New England) and as mentioned is almost like a metallic sounding rattle.Has anyone else experienced this noise or problem and if so what is that annoying sound.Thanks
    fety
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #147:

citizens, I can think of 2 things to check. First, the next time you hear the squeak open you glove compartment door and see if the noise goes away. If it does then it is the lock mechanism and is a quick fix for the dealer. The other possibility that I know of is a thin sheet of plastic that may be in between the dash and the window at the base of the glass. It is used as a part of the process of installing the glass and sometimes an installer may not remove it which eventually leads to squeaking. You'll probably have to get a flashlight and shine it down at the base of the glass (try from outside the car first and then inside). If you find a relatively small piece of plastic film (translucent) you can extract it with forceps or similar device. I hope your squeak turns out to be one of these simple causes.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com

p.s. - I just remembered that there is the possibility that your rear-view mirror is loose. Check your mirror and see if it has any play in it.
  • chefdavechefdave Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 1998 T-5 since October of 98. I have enjoyed excellent customer service until just recently. The car has just turned over 54,000 mile and all of the sudden everything has started going wrong with the car. It started with the battery suddenly going dead - no weakening or anything, just suddenly would not even turn the engine. $200 later, battery is replaced and everything is OK. Two months later here is the list: Front right strut has "broken" loose from the frame and rattles terribly $500 to repair, started smelling oil burning on the engine block from time to time - Turbo is "blowing" oil and has to be replaced $1600, front left headlight reflector and bulb has come loose from the main housing - the entire assembly must be replaced - $400, drivers seat is creaking and has loosened - did'nt even bother to get a quote.
    The dealer from whom I bought the car has changed ownership and the new policy seems to be rape, pillage and plunder. Because the car is 4,000 miles past warranty - no help from Volvo. Looked into selling the car - my $38,000 car is now worth less than $19,000 in the market. My Chevy Suburban has held its value far better. Volvo buyers beware!

I am ruined for life on VOLVO!
    We sure have had a lot of positive and negative responses for the reliablity of the S70. I am still thinking of purchasing a 99 in the next few months, so I hope I'm making the right decision! Out of all the cars out there, I think the styling is the best!
  • colsonscolsons Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I also have an 1998 S70. We purchased it in late '97 and have the same problems with the bulbs, battery, radio, and spedometer. We have 95,000 miles on it and drive it daily in the cold midwest (rain, snow or shine). I do have to say that besides some of the minor issues (they really are minor if you think about it) above, it is still a Volvo, the safest car on the road. I would not trade for any other brand. Bulbs, batteries, radios are nothing; look at the safety and the engine of the car. Volvos last forever. I'd buy another one.
  • marnowitzmarnowitz Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am buying a 1998 automatic sedan S70 GTAS with 35K miles. Extras include leather, winter package, CD player, tracs system, power seat
    on drivers side, sunroof, alloy wheels. This is a leased vehicle.
    The offer on the table is $20,500. Do you think this is a good
    deal? After I do this deal, I'll come back and let you know
    what happened. Txs, Mitch
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Anyone has a problem with the turn signal that does not blink or just stays on? Had it replaced once by the dealer but the problems seems to start again.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
  • sagamesagame Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my 98 S70 (base model) for close to two years; bought it used at 18K miles. Aside from the fast-blinking signal lights (which have been permanenlty fixed), the only other disapointment I have is the "softness" of the supension system. The front & rear shocks have a feel of bottoming out when you drive over a speed bump at slow speed. The lean on curves is also too much. The car has been like this since the beginning. Here are my questions?... Does anyone feel the same way about the S70 suspension? Are suspension systems on GLT & T5 models tighter than the base mode? If so, what would it take to "upgrade" the suspension? Are there better after-market systems that are designed for the S70's.

Thanks.
    Shum
  • dla1967dla1967 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 Volvo S70 GLT on 9/4/99 and I believe I made a good purchase. As of 12/29/00, I now have 10,600 miles and it has been reliable, but with a few small problems. I've had the emissions software updated and the oil filler grate replaced as part of Volvo service campaigns. Last month (11/00), I had the front left turn signal go crazy. I took it to Volvo and they replaced the bulb AND socket on both front turn signals (under warranty). They said the socket shorted. And today I just saw on the NHTSA's website that they are issuing a recall (NHTSA ID 00V405000) The NHTSA website is great for everyone and its "www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems" A hint, though-- when putting in model name, don't put trim level, just "S70" for instance. Edmund's has a link to it as well.

Anyway, I love the seating, roominess, acceleration, stereo, brakes, handling, safety features, and the low insurance rate. Also, its very comfortable on long road trips (like the 500+ miles for Atlanta, GA to Dayton, OH).

I hope this passage isn't too long, but I wanted to help anyone who currently has one or is thinking of buying one (the 2000 S70 is the last one though--replaced by 2001 S60). And hopefully, I won't have the many problems that the 98' owners have had!
  • shyattshyatt Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Volvo GLT has great pickup (without hesitation) and drives beautifully. However, issues with numerous light bulbs, switches, the battery (dead without warning in traffic within the first year), speakers, antenna, windshield washer motor problems (on both sides), and problems with the leather (coming away from the doors) I am convinced not to buy a Volvo again.

My father has a '98 T-5 and has had most of the same problems that I have had. He's also experienced some of the other issues (stereo needing reset, turn signal not blinking) that others on this site have listed. Its too bad because our last Volvo lasted 15 years with minor problems and a sticker price that was a fraction of the new ones.

In all fairness, service of both vehicles has been wonderful. The dealerships have been great. However, with a warranty about to run out, I fear the financial burden that I am about to face if these "irritations" continue.
    I have a 2000 S70SE ..The right blinker now goes twice as fast as the left. I posted it on www.Brickboard.com and got a good response. Basically its a defective socket. Check Brickboard for the details...once in the site, select the S70 forum... posted it last week so its not too far back.

Good luck
  • littleedlittleed Member Posts: 2
    I FOUND A 2000 S70 WITH 8100 MILES ON IT. IT HAS LEATHER, SUNROOF, CD PLAYER, CLIMATE CONTROL, MEMORY AND POWER SEATS, AND WOOD GRAIN FINISH. THE ASKING PRICE IS 25,000.00 IS THIS A GOOD DEAL? IF NOT, WHY?
  • highlander4highlander4 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else encountered problems with the instrumentation panel display shutting down?? I have had my 98 S70 in to the shop at least 6 times to try to get it fixed, and each time they are not able to replicate. The display has completely blown now (have no clue on MPH, RPM, engine temp, gas levels). The one positive thing is that it is also no longer tracking the miles on the car. I have an appointment at the end of the week, I would just like to know if anyone else has encountered this so that I can ensure that it actually gets fixed before it goes out of warranty.

I read through all the comments, and have had many of the same problems: replacing bulbs (7 - a cheap fix), on my third radio (under warratny), have had problems with the windows not closing, and the sunroof. Also had noises coming out of the central air vent and panels coming loose (specifically the mud flap over the front drivers side tire.

I have always had Saabs prior to this, and if not for the body design change, would have stayed with them. The ride is better in the VOLVO, but more problematic.
    Well, I finally purchased my S70. A 2000 GLT SE with 6000 miles on it (dealer demo) I picked it up for $25,500. Opinions on deal? I was quite happy with the price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no burned out bulbs!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I have been looking for a new(er) car, and was considering a '98 -'99 S70. Really love the seats. My mechanic (sho is looking for the car for me) recommended against the '98 and up purely because of the electrical problems. According to him, they switched to a fiber optic set-up in '98 (Mercedes uses this also), and that caused the bulk of the problems.

Even so, I was considering a left over 2000 S70GLT SE at one point. Hopefully they resolved many of the problems by then, and if not, you have 4 years of warranty coverage to find out.

25.5 K sounds like a strong price. Sticker for the one I saw was around 34K, and they were asking 29.something (new, no miles, and only showed up at the dealer in November or so).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.