Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Very interesting article overall, especially for the prasing of the GP's underpinnings.

However, I've never seen statistics about cracks and rattles. I'm quoting them here for posterity:

"The GM staff also handed me a sheet of paper containing J.D. Power scores for the "squeak and rattle" criterion for "premium mid-size" sedans, as reported by actual owners of actual cars — numbers I had not seen before.

Best-in-class was the Buick Century at 3.62 problems per hundred cars, followed by Chev Impala at 3.63, a projected number for the 2004 Grand Prix of 4.50, and the Buick Regal at 5.29.

The 2003 Grand Prix (built in Fairfax, Kan.) came next at 5.58, followed by Honda Accord (5.86), Chev Monte Carlo — also an Oshawa car — (6.24), 2003 Nissan Maxima (6.51), Nissan Altima (8.60), Volkswagen Passat (10.31) and Toyota Camry (12.12).

So much for the myth of Japanese or German quality superiority."
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I have owned a Nissan Maxima SE. A Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Currently own a Chevy Impala LS.

Mr. Lutz needs to know that seat fabric, all by itself, is enough that I would NEVER buy the current Grand Prix.

I have also test driven the current GTP with comp group. And a Mazda6.

I'll be buying the Mazda6 for many, many reasons, from handling to the interior to overall performance.

I doubt Mr. Lutz will be calling to ask my opinion, though.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    johnclineii : Why don't you write Bob then?

ab348 : Fabric is fine, the pattern is the bad part. You should write Bob also.
  • Options
    dindak: I already have written Mr. Lutz. I doubt sincerely he will ever see the correspondence. You see, I don't write a column for a major Canadian newspaper. Rather, I was just going to buy another one of Bob's cars. Until, that is, I saw those hideous seats.
  • Options
    Well, vote with your wallet and be down with it. Have you taken a 04 for a spin or are the seats so ugly that you won't even bother? Just wondering.
  • Options
    Obviously, you don't read my posts. I figured. Go back and read 2027. The dealer was VERY excited about me taking the car out overnight, actually for several days. A couple of hundred miles later, no sale. I actually preferred my 98 GTP in many ways, from the automatic climate control to the interior to the handling. Yes, the handling.

I have also test driven an 04 Maxima SE (the one Lutz and the writer should have compared) and several 03 Mazda6's. I am waiting for SIRIUS to be available in the Mazda6, then I will buy one.

I don't post here just for you. I am not going anywhere. And my opinions are just as valid as yours. Actually more so. See, as I have stated several times, I have driven the car. I also have owned its predecessor.

The changes I see that Lutz has made to decontent the car are the ones that sadden me the most. A car is more than an engine.

Even Lutz concedes they could have done better with the interior. It's not just the hideous pattern on the cloth seats (this is not a cost issue--this is a MAKE THEM BUY LEATHER issue). Nope, the back seat is just unlivable. Totally uncomfortable for anyone over the age of about 11. Why do away with the coupe then turn the sedan into what amounts to a 2 + 2? (Actually a Jeep nut friend of mine answered that one, this is just like the seats...They need a serious back seat? Make them buy a Bonneville, a car that otherwise is not selling well)

I have other choices. Mr. Lutz needs to realize that. I strongly suspect he has his minions read this forum, so I am posting here. Letters can be ignored and answered with polite sounding tripe. Public opinions change things.

Dindak, I am sure you are a fine person. But, you come across as being GM's self-appointed apologist. My point is not to bash the car or GM. Others here do just fine at that, ad nauseum. But, you need to at least drive the car before you rush to its defense on every slight criticism.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I love leather.

The other day a friend of mine let me drive his new F150 Harley Davidson edition. It had great leather inside and it had the most awesome leather smell I have smelled in any car.
  • Options
    I'm very sorry I missed one of your posts. I can't read / remember everything.

I have NEVER said that you points aren't valid and I HAVE also criticized parts of the new GP. Just because I defend some parts of the car that you don't like, does not make me this evil GM loyalist you are making me out to be.

I just think that if you dislike the car so much, make you point be known and move on with life. I want to hear more about what owners and others like and dislike about car itself, not the seat patterns all the time. My hope is GM does change the seats for next year and makes other improvements also. That said, over all I think the car is a winner in terms of performance and value from what I have seen so far. When my exams are over I plan to test for a final assessment but until then my 3 times in the car will have to do.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    vs. the GTP.....that test is a ringer right there. The Maxima SE should have been the one they compared it to. That 'test' loses a lot of credibility right there.

Let's cut to the chase....the reason the writer in the star backpedaled so much on his impression of the Grand Prix was because of all the pressure from the locals because he panned the car that was assembled right in the backyard. So, they had to concoct some positive press to appease the local apologists. Can't have a brand new 2004 built in the backyard that someone can badmouth! I suppose having a particular car built close by exempts it from scrutiny in the minds of many.

The whole point of the that test was merely to show the Grand Prix turning faster lap times, which it did. Put the SE max in there and the gap narrows. They did not attempt to proclaim either was the better overall car, because that'd be the Maxima.

Funny how they quickly mention the Grand Prix is not as refined but don't seem to make any light of it. As if refinement has no bearing on a car purchase decision or any part in determining what makes a car a class leader. But then again, GM ignores refinement quite often in comparison to other makes. Of course then, they would not want to dwell on it.

Actually reading through a lot of those Toronto Star articles made me sick. GM cheerleaders all the way. They praised the Cavalier of all cars and said something as ludicrous as The Ion could very well be GM's best small car. WELL NO DUH, the Ion is the only new GM small car in like 7 years! It better be! All the articles were like, the car is cheap so that makes it a good car. Very few articles seems to give examples of the reviewers having any sort of high standard on the performance or refinement and quality aspect. All cars start and run and have seats. They didn't seem to much other criteria than just the basics.

johncline- I would encourage you to take a Saab 9-3 Linear out as a comparison to the Mazda6, the 6 is a really good car, but I thought the Saab had a little more Verve, no turbo lag, and was a nicer ride overall for not too much more dough. Its chassis felt tighter also. One step up even is the Vector or Arc if you can foot the bill. But I can see why you are going with the 6....cheaper than the Max, and its refined all the way through for the most part (as long as you skip the cloth). If I can actually get a new car soon I may look to the 6hatch or wagon as a first option when it comes out. Not having driven the Max yet, I can't speculate on it but the price is dangerously close to the a4/3SERIES strippers.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    First off on the Maxima what has happened in the styling department in the last 2 generations of Maxima? The 00-03 Max's the front end and back end didn't match at all. The 04's have that grille on the front that doesn't do anything for me. The best looking Max's were the 97-99 models.

I'm surprised the 04 Grand Prix's back seat is tight. My family has owned 3 Grand Prix including an 02 now which I can fit in the back seat fine. I 23 and about 5'6. Did GM actually take out room in the back seat for the 04 Grand Prix's?
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Regfootball, The guy who wrote the article is actually one of the most respected and well known auto journalists around, he is no flunkie or push over. The Maxima he brought down was what Nissan gave him and in terms of HP they were evenly matched. Don't dismiss the test just because it's the easy thing to do and you disagree with the results. In terms of price, these two are very close also.

Nice to see we are still on the seat discussion. How dull.

Johnclineii, how is it you think the GP has a cheap interior but yet drive an Impala which has one of the cheapest interiors I have ever seen? The 04 GP is light years ahead of the Impala!
  • Options
    I think the back seat is lower due to the flat folding feature so it seems like there is less leg room because of the seating position.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I have gone through numerous posts on this board and everybody's upset with Bob Lutz and his use og quality interior materials. I thought Lutz was upgarding quality of interior materials for GM models not cutting costs.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,136
    Quoting Dindak:

"Fabric is fine, the pattern is the bad part."

Sort of like a doctor saying, "The operation was a success, but the patient died."

Went back to my friendly Pontiac dealer this weekend to see if they had any with parchment cloth interiors and see if that was any better in the uglycloth (TM Regd.) department. No dice, they have dozens of 2003s but only the same 4 '04 GPs they have had for weeks. The only new thing they received since I was there last were 2 identical '03 Bonneville SEs (they almost never have these in stock, so why they have 2 the same is a bit of a mystery). The nicest thing about them was the color, a shade called Steel Blue metallic I have not seen on any other GM car. Unfortunately for $34K Cdn they had bolt-on plastic wheelcovers and the seats, while nicely shaped and not upholstered in uglycloth, had some of the crudest-looking seam stitching I have seen in ages. Who makes GM's seats these days, the former Lada factory in Russia?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    probably.....those seats are the ones Daewoo factories rejected.

Just like the center stack in the CTS are the dell factory rejects of computer cases.....

that flunkie who wrote the GP article for the Star may be well respected but still its obvious the local pressure he's under to backpedal from dissing the car. The fact that he came back to write a 'retraction article' and caved under pressure from a GM celebrity is total 'journalism for sale'. Of course he's gotta try and come up with a new positive article......he needs a paycheck like everyone else, I can see the local paper threatening to cut the cord if he doesn't appease the locals, many of whom actually build the car.
  • Options
    Reg : Jim Kenzie is a free-lance writer, not on staff. If you knew his stuff, you wouldn't say what you just did. He was very harsh on the GP initially I thought, but oddly enough not a word about the seats??

;-)

ab348 : Bonneville is an ok car, not good value and kind of big for my tastes. I can see why it doesn't sell well. A GXP version with a DOHC V8 is suppose to be on the way but it will be pricey. I'd take the CTS for the same likely cost of that.
  • Options
    I think you're ignoring the fact that the Maxima not only lagged behind the GP in every test he performed but it also failed miserably in the brake test.

No, a car is not only an engine, but it's not only an interior either. A car that can't brake in uneven pavement has no place in my garage.

Then again, I don't mean that the GP would be my choice, a judgment that I'm withholding until I test-drive one, when the local dealers have them, that is. :-/
  • Options
    freelance=needed a paycheck.

just looked at an ad for the 2004gp in the paper. compared its performance results to a bunch of cars, including an 03 Maxima. The track numbers for a comp group GTP lap time nearly identical (within like a tenth of a second i think it was) to an 03 Max SE. So the whole lap time thing is almost moot anyways. If a last years version of the Max with a beam axle can equal a 'competition group' IRS racing suspension of the NEW grand prix, then what does THAT mean?

So throw a superchager on the Nissan mill, then we'll talk. Oh wait, IT DOESN'T need a supercharger to get out of its own way and make respectable power.
  • Options
    On smooth pavement, even in twisties, a rear beam axle is not that bad. It gets really awful on uneven pavement. I'd never get a car without 4-wheel independent suspension...
  • Options
    He works for LOTS of web sites, papers and magazines and TV shows up here. He has no big need for the Toronto Star. I wouldn't expect you to know that though.
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    I work for the auto shipping company that brings all the cars off the G.M. assembly lines in Oshawa.
       I have literally driven thousands of the Impala,Regal,Century, and now the 2004 Grand Prix. Sincerely I have not noticed the unsightly upholstery fabric that you mention, because when I ride on them they are covered in plastic. But let tell you with my eyes closed I know that I am on a Grand Prix seat, nice firm support that grips your butt. I believe that the seats are also made in Canada by Lear Seating. The egress from the backseat is terriffic, because the doors open so wide.
      If I can be of help let me know, but I will tell you the truth about my impressions of any of the Oshawa built cars, even though my livelyhood depends on their sales. That said we drive a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and a 2003 Camry ES.

Jeff
  • Options
    checking out the 04 GP on the lots again today, from looking at it, that backseat seems REALLY confined, and low. The batmobile...er.....Grand Am GT right next to it almost appeared to have a more pleasing backseat. Of course the Bonneville and Aurora have no backseat either so I guess GM typically has been shaving backseat room in their recent designs now.

The interior door panels and upper dash I can maybe cut a little more of a break on than previously. The real problem is the natty hard plastic on the center stack and steering wheel hub. That's the cheap looking stuff. Leather wasn't great and the cloth was rather mousy looking. Maybe the impression of the plastics would be improved if the DESIGN of the interior wasn't so.....not even a word for it. No theme, no reason or rhyme......just a stylistic mess. At least the gauges are big and legible and not up in the center of the dash.

Carrying that theme to the exterior I can see where the biggest flaw is.....yes its even lower and wider looking, but man, its just a real unpleasant looking car overall (IMHO). Just totally nasty and rather disturbing much the way the Ion is disturbing looking but possibly more so.

Panel gaps did appear to be quite improved in the trunk area FWIW. Actually, the interior and exterior appeared quite well assembled, much more so than the protoypes at the autoshow. I think its fair to say they did improve the car in that regard.

The black GTP with light leather had marked to to 29,800....yikes, 30k for this car? NOT! Not even with all that hp.

A great excuse for GM lovers to go buy an Impala.....or hell a Saab 9-3 Linear or Arc would be a sweeter experience overall.....the Saab has a bigger rear seat for crying out loud.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm not sure I understand your remark about the Aurora and Bonneville having no backseats either. What is your gold standard for a backseat, a Lincoln Town Car? I can't comment on the new GP as I haven't tried the rear seat, but both the Aurora and Bonneville have roomy and comfortable rear quarters. Next time I look at one of the new GPs, I'll be sure and test the rear seat just for you:)
  • Options
    Truthfully, very few Maxima shoppers are going to consider the GP and very few GP shoppers will consider the Maxima. While both are close in price and performance, each go about it in a different way. The Pontiac is more performance oriented, the Nissan a bit more luxury car oriented. While I'm not really shopping either car, the GP gets my nod as the new Maxi is just plain ugly IMO. And as I stated before, a loaded 04 Maxi is pushing(probably exceeding) 30K which is getting into RWD CTS and G35 territory. The GP is starting to get a bit pricey as well, but my guess is they will discount them. Aside from the cheap cloth, this is GM's biggest mistake with the car as they should price it lower to begin with and not have to worry about the rebates and discounts. Speaking of cheap cloth, I still don't get it. Not long ago when I had my Intrigue in for service, I got a base model Intrigue for a loaner and it had cloth seats. While the cloth was not as plush as GM used to use in the old Delta 88s of yore, it was pretty nice material and did not have any funky patterns to it. Why can't Pontiac use a fabric like that in the GP? Oh well, I'm a leather person anyway.
  • Options
    Don't forget the Maxima SE which is far more about sport than luxury. More buyers than you think cross shop Maxima and Grand Prix GTP. Maybe that's why the new Maxima looks the way it does! :)
  • Options
    I really liked the old Max and looked at it when we bot our Intrigue. The new one as oldsman says is just ugly. Nissan has done a good job with some other models but the Max is odd. GP looks much better.

I also think there will be some cross shopping though maybe less than in the past as the Max seems to be going a more route.
  • Options
    30k for a GTP and 30k for a Maxima...oh yeah, they will be cross shopped.
  • Options
    your intrigue had a bigger backseat than the newest Aurora.....GM must figure on making rear legroom an option these days so they can charge extra for it.

Regal, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Aurora....none of these cars have luxuriousy spacious backseats.
  • Options
    What are you doing spending so much time in back seats?

;-)
  • Options
    what are you comparing the rear seats to?

I only know one family of cars this side of Lincoln Town Car that has really large rear seat area - Chrysler LH cars.

I myself used to drive a '99 Chrysler 300M and yes the rear seats there are limo-like.
  • Options
    I think reg is spending way too much time in the backseat of cars:) I'm not going to argue here, but I have spent time in the rear seat of a current generation Bonnevile SE and found it very comfortable. I'll admit, with 3 back there it would probably be a bit uncomfortable, but unless your looking at a Cadillac Deville, Lincoln Town Car, or Chrysler LH sedan the rear seat of ANY car is pretty much most comfortable if kept to two people. Room wise, the Bonne and Aurora have MORE legroom than the Intrigue. Unless the front seats are pushed back all the way. The Intrigue is roomy, but I've tried the back seat behind the driver's seat with the driver's perch where I(at 6 feet tall) keep it and just barely was not touching the front seat with my knees. Had it been any further back, my knees would have been touching it. I guess I'm going to have to go test drive a new GP just so I can get the facts on the rear seat:)

johnclineii, from a certain angle the rear of the new Maxi resembles the new GP. My problem with the new Maxi is the front of it. BTW, the best looking Maxima was the 89-94 generation. Not a bad sedan in it's day at all. IMO the new Altima(V6 model) has taken on the role that the Maxi used to play. Remember when Nissan billed the car as a 4DSC "four door sports car"?
  • Options
    ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    For someone shopping for a midsized performance sedan in the high $20k low $30k price range, the comp GTP will be cross shopped with cars like the Maxima. All the cars I looked at (see post 2024) provided various combinations of performance vs. luxury in this price range, as do several smaller sedans that I didn't test. Back in 1998 when I got my GTP, nothing came close to its power in its price range (low to mid $20s). The Max was the closest, but was short by 50 HP and 75 ft-lb torque, and you could tell the difference. Today, all the cars I looked at are competitive with regards to performance. Everyone will have different preferences in the performance/handling vs. luxury debate, and will make their decisions accordingly. But without a sizable performance advantage, the GTP will need to improve the quality and refinement especially in the interior to compete in this price range.

oldsman01, I used to own a 90 Maxima SE, and I agree that was a great sedan both to look at and drive. I still miss that car.
  • Options
    And I had a 92 Maxima SE 5 speed which I also miss. And that 98 GTP.

Now you see why I had such high hopes for the 04 GTP!
  • Options
    I have a Bonneville and an Intrigue and the Bonneville has a far more spacious read seat. However, the cab-forward Stratus I had more leg room than both, though less hip room than the Bonneville.

Now, I got my Bonneville SLE for about $26000, how come a GP is got for almost $30000??? Even if this figure is MSRP, it's way bloated. I think that the GP is a darn good value when it's in the low-$20000 range, "puhlease"!
  • Options
    Price a Bonneville lately? An SSEi with destination charge is over $34,600 US without any additional options! Even an SE is more than $27,300. Sticker prices on GM cars have gone up markedly, in part to allow those generous rebates!

SLE's now START at more than $30k!

The Grand Prix prices are not out of line--not if you look at transaction prices and not sticker prices!
  • Options
    The Bonneville prices have gone up indeed! Anyway, I'm glad to see that the Edmunds' "True Market Value" for a GT2 is around $23000 and the GTP, $26000. That's what I expected, although maybe a couple of grands more than how I like it. I guess the price will be right in a couple of years, unless they go the way of the Bonneville's... ;-)
  • Options
    bonnes advertised in this weekends paper for 21k.
  • Options
    greg328greg328 Member Posts: 2
    For what it's worth, here's my experience. I grew up a Mustang/TA guy. In 99, I realized it was time for a 4-door to better handle my family...but I didn't want to give up my Ram Air TA. I sadly bought a 99 GTP and as time went by, absolutely fell in love with it. When I got the early brochure in the mail on the 04 GP's, I was very disappointed with what I saw. Then I just happened to see a GTP at a local dealership and took it for a drive. Seeing the car and driving it made me do a 360, and now I own one.

That said, I would not buy a GP with the cloth. I don't normally have a preference between cloth & leather, but the cloth in these 04's is ugly. The leather looks very nice in either color. GM conspiracy or not, the cloth is a flop. Otherwise, I like the interior. I know it's not for everyone, but to each his own! If you don't like the interior, go buy something else and quit wasting your time here. Come back next year and see if things change! What I'd personally like to see is the small tray that the old GP's had in the center of the back seat. My kids can't eat back there now or drink a soda without a 99% chance it will be spilled. I also miss the rear-view mirror's auto tint or whatever it was called. I didn't get much out of the dual climate control, but I know some did. Those things aren't enough to make me buy something else, but GM should not have eliminated those options. The back seats are low, and could get uncomfortable on a long trip, but my wife and I have our Tahoe for that, so it's not an issue for us.

I am one that considered the Maxima over the GP. The main reason I didn't give the Maxima more thought is that I'm 45 minutes away from a Nissan dealer. Not driving all that way for service.

Bottom line is, there's no car that will please everyone. Yes this car has some areas that could be improved upon. That's why there's 2005 and beyond. GM's in the car business to make money and they are good at taking it from many of us. Maybe they're over-priced, and maybe they're not. There are many things we buy every day that are over-priced, it just depends on who you ask. It doesn't matter. If you can't afford the asking price, don't buy one. I've read quite a few negative posts on this car here and can't believe all the crying about the little things. Get over that and enjoy what this car does ON THE ROAD! I did, and it's special. After all, a car is meant to be driven, isn't it?
  • Options
    Glad to hear something other than banter about plastic knobs, cloth seats, and rear seat comfort. Keep us posted on the new GP. In fact, if you get a chance sometime, sit in the back seat and report back on how it's comfort rates:)

ctl1, you've got a good point on the GP's price and performance versus the competition. In 97 when the last generation came out, you'd have to spend way over 30K to get nearly anything else with the same level of performance. As I mentioned earlier, both the GP and the new Maxi can creep into luxury car territory when loaded up with options. For little more than what a loaded GTP comp-g stickers for, I can get a Saab 9-3 Arc or Cadillac CTS. My guess is the GP will be discounted as they have always been. I'd personally like to see GM price their cars at a "resl world" price and not have to fool with the discounts and rebates.
  • Options
    Hey a 360 degree turn puts you facing in the same direction when you started turning :)
  • Options
    greg328greg328 Member Posts: 2
    You're right ruski! Make that a 180! I was half asleep when I wrote that last night.
  • Options
    johnclineii : I still can't see how the interior (aside from seats) is better in a old GP or your Impala.

greg, I have the cloth and it's ok in my opinion. More importantly the seat are very comfortable for long highway trips. Over all I think this car in GT form is one of the best 6 cyl sedans on the road in terms of handling, power, ride and quality. No regrets.

As for the Maxima, it was a fair bit more than my GT and I really didn't want to spend any more than C$30K.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,136
    I wonder what type of uglycloth (TM Regd.) the seats in the Grand Am replacement will sport? Hey, maybe I better start buying futures for "hard shiny plastic" on the commodity exchange...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “The four-door concept features awd and a supercharged 3.5-liter V-6 engine producing 285 hp."

“GM will add more standard equipment to the redesigned car and will try to raise the transaction price”

This article raises a very interesting issue. (actually several.)

Clearly the Grand Am has for years slotted below the GP in Pontiacs hierarchy. With the possibility of AWD and a (small) hp advantage over the 2004 GP, and much more distinctive exterior styling, (like it or not) where would this leave the GP RE: the GA? Is this why it will be re-named? Will it actually slot between the GP and the Bonne? Will it be priced higher than the GP? And what will the interior look like? What interior materials will they use?

And what will 2005 bring for the GP? Dual A/C?

And will the 2006 Bonne be related? Or based on the new RWD Caddy CTS?

So many questions . . .

Should be interesting times ahead!

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who is not currently in need of a new car – and looking forward with interest to 2004 and beyond . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Hip Hip Hooray! They should have done the same for the Malibu though. Pleasing driving dynamics and the old bu are an oxymoron.
  • Options
    Not sure why ditching the Grand Am name is necessary. For God's sake Lutz, build a good car and people will come regardless of name. But as others have mentioned, will this GA replacement actually overshoot the GP? Will it ultimately replace the GA and the GP? A 285 hp V6 and AWD sound pretty interesting. It's no secret that aside from Cadillac, the GM division that Lutz has embraced most tightly is Pontiac. Should be interesting to see what the division serves up in the next few years. While the 04 GP is not a bad car at all, my guess is it was 3/4 complete when Lutz arrived on the scene so this is why we don't see alot of his influence in the car.
  • Options
    I guess giving it a new name will erase some of the plasticy stigma that Grand Am carries in many people's minds (including mine). Grand Prix name doesn't carry that image nearly as much.

The G6 looks way cool, hopefully it will get the full Lutz influence. You are right, the GP was likely mostly done when he arrived. I know he scrapped the Regal which is why it's not coming until next year.
  • Options
    orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I have written several divisions of GM, Ford, Chrysler and others with problems with their vehicles, suggestions, gripes.... I cut and pasted a typical response I get via eMail. (I once got a letter with business card of the factory Quality Manager from the GMC factory that built a pick-up I bought some years ago, when I provided them a list of issues...) Maybe it's a real person, maybe it's not, but if they are willing to respond, then at least someone is reviewing the eMail.

So for those who may want to send their feedback on the 2004 GP, you might get something like this:

"Thank you for contacting the Buick Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate
    your suggestions for the future products of Buick.

We are interested in your suggestions and appreciate it when customers like you
    take the time to write to us about them. We value the opinions of our customers
    and we always take them into consideration as we plan for future models.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to assist you.

We have documented your concern under Service Request #1-102633842. To contact
    us, please e-mail us again or call our Buick Customer Assistance Center at
    1-800-521-7300. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through
    Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ms. Jade Brown
    Customer Relationship Manager
    Buick Customer Assistance Center"
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    To weigh in I just came off a 24 hour test drive of the new GTP having owned two GTPs and a Regal GS in the past, my curiosity peaked with the 2004.
    I have to say, although a pleasant experience in my drive, GM missed the mark. Yes the new GTP has clean lines but once you get inside it ends there. I found the interior dash/console package quality to be extremely low end value (I kept thinking about the Camaro/Firebird interior) and how will this look after 3 years. The instrument cluster layout is fine. I would have liked to see the TAP shift not on the steering wheel but on the stick as it should be.

I question why no 5 speed auto tranny and in this day of powertrains is a supercharger still in? Should GM go the way of normal aspiration, you would think after all these years of the 3800 engine they would get higher numbers without supercharging?
    As far as pricing wait until the fall when GM throws incentives on the hood and you can talk down to invoice pricing, wont be long..right now I was offered a $500 rebate and 5.9% financing.

Next inline is to see what Buick and Chevy do........as I see it this GTP model run will be VERY competetive with the likes of the Mazda 6 and others.
This discussion has been closed.