Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    $31,695 sounds about right. I put the price between $31,490 and $31,990.. Thats $4500-5000 more than the TSX. I think thats a significant step up in price, and still protects the new TL as being the price leader in the near-lux segment.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I tried to e-mail you about the post but the address in your profile bounced back as invalid. I tried modifying the address, and it hasn't bounced back yet, so the answer may lie in your e-mail :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Merc1 - I expect that they are dropping the 3.2 designation because the engine displacement will be constant. In the past, when we had a 2.5 and a 3.2, there was a good reason for it. That may no longer apply. The next RL will probably lose the 3.5 from its name, as well.

Of course, maybe they are just cost-cutting by trying to save on ink. ;-)

Kyfdx - If AWD or a Type S were in the works, I would expect higher. However, I think it's pretty clear that those options are not going to be part of the initial line-up. So a starting price of $31,695 + dest. seems like a reasonable boost above the previous model without insulting the buyers who liked the value of the out-going design.
  • Options
    swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    After doing some additional research, I found out there were some issue with the info posted in #210. As a result, I understand why you did what you did.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks for understanding :) Wish all members could be as easy-going!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    It may be a new body style, but the car won't have very many features the current one doesn't and it likely will only have about a 20HP boost. The car is Acura's main offering, and as such will need to be their biggest seller. I'll be shocked if it goes over $32K, and if it does, I predict discouting will start soon afterwards. I would compare its sales mission to what the 2003 Accord achieves for Honda.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    20hp boost? Over the TL or the TL-S? Everything I'm reading reports about 50hp over the current base model.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Yeah, I'd bet a nice tidy 275hp to start, enough to get bragging rights over the Maxima & G35. Then they can go to 285 or 295 as part of a mid-cycle makeover or a Type-S variant.
  • Options
    pokuipokui Member Posts: 4
    I think that the hiccup is a sign that the tranny is going to fail. My first tranny had this problem and it progressively worsened and total failure of the transmission occurred. I am now on my fourth transmission. The last one installed was an 2003 transmission with computer chip. (My car is a 2002) I was happy when Honda decided to give me the 2003 tranny and it worked like a charm for four months, now it is beginning to show the same signs that the first one had before it failed.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    mine has been hickupping since new. And when the new tranny was put it, it was hickupping too from day 1.
  • Options
    You're on your FOURTH tranny?! Do you drive particularly hard?
  • Options
    I've read the speculation about horsepower.. On Edmunds and other places, but I just don't see it happening. I don't really see the need for anything more than the current TL-S has, for them to sell to their current constituency. Honda has never been known for having the highest horsepower numbers out there. I can't imagine picking a Maxima or a G-35 over the TL on the basis of 10-20 horses. I think the typical Acura buyer will be plenty happy with current TL-S powertrain.

IIRC, the TL-S stickers for just under $32K. My guess is the new TL won't be any more than that. That would follow Honda's usual M.O. of offering upgrades to the current vehicle w/o raising the price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Wow, I didnt think that Edmunds would edit out my last post. I thought the website that I referred you to was outstanding. The information explained the bobbling problem. HOST, please advise what about the information is not accurate.

First Transmission. Bobbled from the beginning. Shifted from fifth to third on the fwy. Service said they could not duplicate. Transmission total failure 4k mi. later.

Second Transmission. (remanufactured) Grinding noise and hesitation when shifting through gears. When accellerating the rpm would go to 6k without any accelleration. They replaced immediately.

Third Transmission (remanufactured) Grinding noise and lack of responsiveness. Long hesitation when attempting to accellerate while coasting. Car would gasp and buck.

Fourth Transmission (new 2003, Mine is 2002) - Ran like a charm and I was totally happy for three months. Now I am getting signs of the same problems of hesitation and dropping out of gear while travelling at 70 mph. Hard engagement when going from drive to reverse and back again.

To answer question, no I do not drive the car hard. Except on on-ramps. AND I think that the transmission should last more than 3K even if driven hard.

Good Luck. If you want copies of my records, I can show you what happened.
  • Options
    I got this from one of those "friend who has a friend" chains. So, take it with a big fat grain of salt.

A while back, there was an interview with one of the head honchos at Honda. The interviewer asked what this guy thought of the horsepower war that Nissan had started in the family sedan segment. This was before the 2003 Accord had been released. The Honda guy (I think it was Colliver) responded by saying, "we've been holding back".

My friend had a similar discussion with his "friend" about Honda engines. According to this guy, Honda engineers have been itchin' for an excuse to go ballistic with the V6 engines. He reports that the engine guys jumped for joy when Nissan crossed the line in the sand. It gave them an excuse. That's their attitude.

When you take a look at what they've done recently with the 3.0 in the Accord family sedan, it makes you wonder what they might do with a larger engine in a more sport oriented car.
  • Options
    I've got a guy I work with that visits the Honda plant in Marysville every day. I'll see what he can scope out. He doesn't have any "in" with anyone important up there, but we'll see what the little guys have to say.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tsxfan19tsxfan19 Member Posts: 28
    what are these hiccups that are mentioned several times on this board...is it when you're driving, and depress the accelerator, and the car downshifts abruptly?

if so, I hope this isn't an indication of transmission failure...I don't have a TL, but I talked my friends mother into a 99 SatinSilver TL w/navigation last august...still under warranty, but only until the 5th :-/
  • Options
    TSXfan - The 99 had the 4 speed auto, not the 5. I don't believe it was included as one with the problem. FWIW, my wife's 2001 has 50K on it and no problems with the tranny.
  • Options
    thanks for clearing that up...I knew that the 99 has the 4 speed automatic, but she drives the car hard, and I was afraid that she'd loose faith in Hondas had the transmission failed. :-D
  • Options
    I don't see the traditional "Honda" moonroof controls to the left of the steering wheel...that's odd :-/
  • Options
    2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    Great pictures. I like the interior, especially the hand brake! Rear view and rear fender a bit odd - too much like a CTS if you ask me. Great front. Very agressive.
  • Options
    new interior of the TL is hot!

Can't wait to go to the Acura dealership (when it arrives) and play in the car!! :-D

btw, is that an electronic brightness control for the gauges?
  • Options
    Since the Host did not get back to me about the link I posted that explained the hiccup. What was the explanation that they gave you for removing my post.
  • Options
    The hiccup is when you are travelling along and cruising at 70 and all of a sudden there is a short loss of power. Believe it or not, this hiccupping occurred most often when heading into a head-wind. It is a loss of power. I was told by the technician that replaced my first tranny that it was the first sign that the tranny would eventually fail.
  • Options
    ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    It looks very much like a 95-96 Accord (I have one of them, I just looked out the window). Rear has the most similarities, and also the profile. I think the 2003's were little distinct. Interior is nice, but is it worth the price differece it is going to have initially (6-7K overall including higher financing) compared to current deals on 2003's. If anyone wondering about the missing chrome, it usually appears in the 2nd or 3rd year (they need something to change from year to year). I am running for an 03 before they are all gone, I was just waiting for this, and may be $2,000-3,000 cash incentive begining 08/01.
  • Options
    Yup, my first impressions were: rear side profile -- 94 - 97 Accord, with a hint of BMW 3 & 5-series. Front -- TSX; rear -- Protege. The car looks small, not much bigger than the TSX. Interior looks more cramped than current Accord. Dunno if that's good or bad. I've always thought the current TL is too big, but the new one seems to lack...road presence, for lack a better term.
  • Options
    What impressed you that much about the hand brake, other than the fact it is now console-mounted where it belongs?
  • Options
    What is so great about having the hand brake in the center console, I thing it just clutters the area, IMO it is good to have it out of the way as a pedal.
  • Options
    thanks for the hiccup explanation, I've never experienced this while driving the Acura...is the hiccup problem only on the 5 speed transmission?
  • Options
    my hickups usually occur while driving at a steady 45-50 mph, NOT changing pressure on the gas pedal. Just cruising along - all of a sudden it feels like engine died. Then goes back to normal.

Once it happened at 80. I just had crested a small hill (overpass).

Also once I had it really severe - it acted like the engine was going to die three times in a row. I actually had to pump the gas pedal to keep it going.
  • Options
    hmmm... that's a weird looking Diamante.

Also has weird Camry-like door/fender molding.
  • Options
    No car with any sporting intention should have a foot-operated parking brake. For one thing, you couldn't have one if the car is a manual. So why bother with 2 different parking brakes for auto/manual? Aesthetically, a console-mounted brake looks sportier. And the one in the current CL/TL is especially a pain in the rear to use. It requires an unnatural and awkward leg-lift to engage. You have to do warm-ups to avoid pulling a groin muscle!
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    What? No one said it looks like a Saturn? People like to say everything looks like a Saturn.
  • Options
    The hood looks like it really tapers towards the front. Kind of makes for a small hood opening, don't you think?
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The front end looks great but the back end what happened? It just looks very bland. There's no look to the back end of the car. Interior looks very nice though.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I have to agree with all previous comments about the back; I don't like it at all. But the sides and the front are VERY nice compared to the current model.

I don't see what people are raving about with respect to the interior, it's not that much different from the current one. What puzzles me is the number of buttons on the steering wheen. I counted at least 18 (including 2 for each "rocker" button). That's WAY too many functions.

Also, the seats look exactly like the current 2003 TL-S ones.

The wheels are HOT!
  • Options
    I counted 13, 14 at the most
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    You're right. What I thought were more buttons on the steering wheels are the ones on the center console. It's the angle and fuzziness of the shot that confused me.
  • Options
    yeah...the picture is fuzzy, because I initially thought there were more buttons too. :-)
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Is a new auto tranny coming with the 04 or is it the same one that has been causing so much grief for many owners of the current gen?
  • Options
    The rear looks quite short. I wonder if some trunk space is lost compared to the current model.
  • Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    But I have a few nitpicks though.....
    -what's up with that long grove atop the glove compartment, or is it a wood trim?

-where are the fog lights?

-the center of the steering wheel is still a bit big. I like the small ones with just three spokes like those on the BMW 3 & 5series w/ sportpackage.

-the rear lights could use a little rearrangement. As of now they look out of place compare to the elongated headlights.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    It looks like the groove is the brushed aluminum trim.

To me, this car looks to be Nissan's biggest nightmare... everything the Maxima should have been.
  • Options
    Talon95 - Good comparison.
  • Options
    exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Official release date is Oct. 3. Exterior is 5 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower. Interior room should be the same. HP 280 according to a factory rep. At first 6 models: Base 5sp auto w/ Nav and without, 6sp manual w/Nav and without and the “Sports” version with bigger wheels and tighter suspension (I am not sure about the transmission and nav on this version). Type-S maybe two years from now. All FWD, no AWD. It will start at 34K

Hope it helps.
  • Options
    34k start seems too high, and Oct. 2nd seems too late IMO. My guess is early September. Acura web site shows 2.9% ending on Sept. 2, I know it can be extended but it should have some meaning. Also, according to their web site special lease ending on 7/31 (for 2003's). Late date, higher price in sales person language means "BUY NOW" (you may never come back to this dealership). Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I have seen some Maxima's around. It has a nice interior. There is no standout on the exterior of that car. The back end has no look to it. It looks like a hatchack. The front end tries to stand out but the headlights are very small and the grille doesn't add any kinda look to the car. To me Nissan did right with the current Altima(the front end and back end match up well.) I know some people don't like the tailights but its either a love or hate with the tailights.) Maybe Nissan didn't want the 04 Maxima to hinge into G35 territory so thats why the exterior looks so "funky".
  • Options
    the taillights come too close to the red sidemarkers on the rear fenders.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I must say I've waited to see this car for quite some time, only to be letdown. What is with the "floating sill" look below the doors? The interior looks just like a TSX times two, which doesn't do much for me, though I like the TSX's interior. The parking brake looks out of place, imo. That side "character line" is the only thing that keeps the car from looking like the current Accord from the side. The whole car looks kinda cheap inside, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can actually "see" the car in person, with a different color interior.

M