Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    Every time I see the New Nissan Maxima I want to GAG! It's just so UGLY. As for the Nissan Altimas, the Nissan nameplate on the front grill doesn't look right to me. The clear taillights make the family-oriented Altima look cheap, too.

Like all of you, I'm looking forward to test driving the new TL. I've seen some nice exterior images on www.hondanews.com. Where can I see images of the interior? Anyone know?
  • Options
    swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    This info comes from a highly reliable source.

List of Important Dates for the 2004 TL...

July

Week of Jul 21-First dealer MOVE allocation for October arrival
    Week of Jul 28-TL concept site live on acura.com

August

TL Ride and Drive registration
    Week of Aug 25-Second dealer MOVE allocation for November arrival

September

Week of Sept 1-TL mini site live on acura.com
    Week of Sept 10-TL Ride and Drive begins
    Week of Sept 15-TL brochure(Initial delivery)

October

Oct 1-3-National Dealer meeting, SF, CA
    Week of Oct 6-TL on-sale
    Week of Oct 6-TL main model section live on acura.com
    Oct 22-TL preview party night (Big Wednesday)
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The all-new TL coming in October is caught on camera at vtec.net. It's a production ready car with no camoflauge. Many photos are there showing both the exterior and interior.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I don't know why the issue of Maxima's looks come up, but I will weigh in, since it did. I think the new Maxima is the ugliest vehicle since the Aztec. Yesterday I saw one in color mustard or orange and it made me physically sick! I think Nissan designers need to be sued for causing pain and suffering to people who posses any taste.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Come on now, its not that bad.:)

I saw one in black and it was not that ugly.

Note- I am not a Nissan Fan, but the car is not that bad when fully equipped.

A Memo to Nissan- spend some more time on your interior furnishing and layoff the horsepower hype.
  • Options
    brianatcalbrianatcal Member Posts: 9
    I think the new TL looks great all around. I was driving behind a brand new Accord and saw some key similarities in overall shape (rear quarters, windshield/pillars, etc.) Also, I noticed that the new Honda Inspire is based on the new Accord, no longer the U.S.-based TL.

So my question is, is it likely that the TL and Accord share the same basic chassis and size (ala ES300 & Camry)?
  • Options
    stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    The exterior colors are:
    Anthracite
    Nighthawk Black
    Abyss Blue
    Redondo Red
    Desert Mist
    White Pearl
    Silver Metallic

Interior colors:

Carmel
    Parchment
    Ebony
    Quartz

But does anybody know the color combinations are or what Abyss Blue paint looks like or the carmel or quartz interiors?
  • Options
    tsxfan19tsxfan19 Member Posts: 28
    The headlights on the tl gives off the scowling appearance... very aggressive looking to me! I like it!!
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    From the pictures I have seen...the new TL looks pretty good. I am ready to see one in "person".

I will be comparing the TL to the Infiniti G35 sedan, to decide which one to buy.

Looking in Huntsville Alabama...............
  • Options
    2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    Saw the latest photos. Here's the summary for those that don't want to wait for the link to load:

1. There are definitely two brake specs. Brembo on the 6 speed and a lower spec on the automatic.
    2. No AWD.
    3. 6 DVD/CD changer in dash. Will Acura offer a video monitor for the back seat?
    4. Mobile phone controls in steering wheel but non of the controls look like they are illuminated (could this be?).
    5. LED rear lights.
    6. Sunroof controls and OnStar (?) controls mounted up high.
    7. Potential evidence of the adaptive cruise control "sonar" on the front bumper.
    8. No rear-view camera.
    9. No rear park control evidence.
    10. Evidence of blue "ambiance" lighting in the overhead console...a la TSX.
    11. Camel interior comes with Walnut wood trim.
    12. Leather seating surface is perforated.
    13. Standard rubber is 235/45R17

Love the more aggressive tires (the current 215/50R17s are too narrow). Big question is the High Performance Tire option? Same tire size (just summer tires instead of all-season) or 18"? Most people are leaning towards the same size tires which would be too bad.

And yes, I love the hand brake because no performance car (or one that pretends to be a performance car) should have a foot brake. Especially one that you release by pushing it again. I know it is more space efficient, but please. If I wanted functional, I would have bought an Odyssey.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Especially the interior of the new TL.

Looks VERY BMW-ish. I love the Camel interior trim!

Just wish I could afford one!
  • Options
    msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Save your money and get the Acura. I have a loaded G35 and the finish is cheap. The brakes need replacing before 10K, the seats rock off their tracks and there are a host of other problems that Nissan/Infinity will not fix unless you really go after them.

The only good thing about the G35 is that it is blazing fast. Mine blew an '03 Acura TLS away and they are both 260 hp. The G35 is RWD, so that may explain it. Other than that, I think the Acura beats the G35 in all categories.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Now that I can see it clearly, I'd have to say I love it! I think it's the best-looking sedan Honda/Acura has ever put out, right up there with the old Legend. It's definitely the best-looking sedan currently in its class -- blows the Maxima, ES, G35, Passat, etc away.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    As far as I'm concerned, there are no sedans more beautiful than Audi A4 through A8.
  • Options
    stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Is the interior there Parchment or Carmel (possibly camel)?
  • Options
    shammieshammie Member Posts: 1
    I had a G35 for a short while. 2 Things. The seats are extremely uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5'9" snd weighing more than 165 lbs. The seat bolsters contain the controls for the seats. You are sitting on top of hard plastic raher than the supple leather. Their entire line is designed like this except for the Q45. In addition, they badger you to fill out an "excellent" for their surveys. You are basically black balled if they find out you told the truth about their Nissan grade sales people with better silk ties. Acura is far superior
  • Options
    Those are beautiful cars, along with the MB E & S Class. But the TL doesn't compete in that segment.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    And the A8 is also a great looking car.

But I am disappointed in the restyling of the A4... I wish they had done something a bit more edgy than simply cloning the A6 styling.

As for the TL, I agree that this is the best look for a Honda or Acura sedan in years. I particularly like the 3/4 front view.

I'm sure the press will criticize it for being too conservative, but I've gotten past the point of caring what the press thinks about Honda's and Acura's approach to styling. Give the stylists too strong a mandate about "making it edgy", and you get the freak show on wheels called the Maxima. Give me sleek and understated any day.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The new pics above are better, but the car looks too much like an upgraded Accord inside. The first picture of the car from the side is kind of promising as far as the exterior goes, it almost has a BMW 3-Series profile. I just can't stand the lower door/sill treatment! I wonder if Honda is upset about these pics leaking out like this or did they look the other way so someone would be able to get such good pics....

M
  • Options
    pwjone1pwjone1 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone seen a spec on the back seat room for the new TL? I liked the old 3.2 TL well enough, great front seat, but it seemed like Acura copied the euro sedans a bit too closely, and managed to have a back seat without a whole lot of leg room. The new Accord seems to be OK, but if the TL cuts back on the rear seat room similar to what the 3.2 TL did, things could get pretty cramped.
  • Options
    crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    I, too, am concerned about back seat room on the 04 TL. According to sources, the 04 TL is 5" shorter than the current generation TL. However, on the acura-tsx.com message board, one seemingly informed poster stated that the interior will be larger. So how they make the interior larger while shrinking the exterior is a mystery. If you compare the size of the rear door, you'll notice the 04's door is considerably shorter than the '03.
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Does anyone know if there is a way to order a 2004 TL brochure, or at least submit your name and address so that one will be sent when it is available?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I agree with those above on the rear seat room. I currently drive a 91 Integra. It's been very, very good to me. But now with 3 kids, I need a 4 door, and if I get a 4-door, it MUST have comfortable rear leg room. I've always been an Acura fan, but I can't afford the RL right now. The TL is the right choice for me, but I want to make sure there's adequate rear leg room.

I dropped by a local Honda dealership, asked to see a new Accord, and promptly sat in the back seat. I think it's comfortable enough for me (much better than in the past Accords). I posted a question (#270) earlier about whether the new Accords and new TL share the same chassis, because they have key similarities that I've heard from other folks on the thread. If they share the same chassis, is it likely that the TL's rear seat room will follow the Accord's closely?

-Brian
  • Options
    I'm not sure if the new TL shares the same platform with the Ameri-Accord or the Euro-Accord. But regardless, I don't think it's a guarantee that the rear legroom will follow form with the Accord. The current TL is also based on the Accord platform but legroom is noticeably less.
  • Options
    I heard that the TSX is very much based on the Euro-Accord (can anyone confirm?), so I assumed the new TL might be based on the Ameri-Accord.
  • Options
    TSX is not only based on the Euro-Accord, it IS the Euro-Accord.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    There used to be several version of Honda's mid-size global car platform. The last Accord and TL were each built on slightly different versions of this basic platform. The old Accord actually had more rear seat room than the TL. This was mostly due to the fact that the TL has a lower roofline and the front seating position is raked back a bit more. That compromised knee room, even though the linear measurements are similar.

It appears that the new Accord and TL now share exactly the same platform. I'm hoping that the new TL also shares the same noggin' space. If so, the two should have similar rear seat space.
  • Options
    Any conjecture as to curb weight? The car is 5" inches shorter, so hopefully they can bring weight down to under 3,200 lbs.
  • Options
    ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    This car is too much Accord like, in looks inside and out. If Acura is supposed to be a different class, then it should look different too. Just upgraded Accord for additional $8-9k. No, that is not justified IMO. I know people can list a host of items which are different than Accord, but looks and size are very important to distinguish. I thought TL had it right by using slightly different chassis (if anyone has any doubts please go to the internet and check wheelbase before saying they are same, because they are not, up to the current 2003 model). ES300 and Camry always used the same base and this was not the case with TL and Accord, and I thought it was a good thing, because these cars are supposed to be different.
  • Options
    I don't think the exterior looks anything like the Accord. The interior....hmm...maybe a little. Actually the interior looks more like the TSX. Hell, the whole car looks like a bigger, more hunky TSX!
  • Options
    As an Accord owner, I agree... I don't think the exterior on the TL looks anything like the Accord.
  • Options
    ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    I meant older Accord 95-96 model.
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It looks very little like the Accord inside or out. It looks like a larger TSX.
    I think people are stretching and working their brains hard to try to find negative things to say about it.
  • Options
    Only maybe a bit in the C pillar. Generall I see more BMW than Accord in the TL.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I kept thinking all day that the '04 TL's nose looks a lot like the last generation Accord.
  • Options
    tsxfan19tsxfan19 Member Posts: 28
    I was thinking the same thing about the new TL looking alot like the last generation Accord...to me, it shows a family trait...I like that idea.

Yeah, people are going to find something to complain about...I don't like everything about the car, but I don't think it's that bad.

just my couple of cents
  • Options
    I doubt curb weight will fall below 3,300 lbs. Given that the TSX weighs more than 3,200, it's hard to imagine that a larger car, with (supposedly) more creature comforts will be less offensive on the scales. I'm expecting that weight will be similar to the current model.
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Thanks for the pictures! WE think it looks GREAT - as stated above, like a bigger TSX. My wife LOVES her fabulous new TSX, and if the TL really looks like the pictures, this will be my next car for sure. I just hope that they don't price it out of reason. $32K for non-nav is just right for me. I just wish Honda would get out of their stubborn opposition to White with Black interior - my favorite combination.

Regarding rear legroom - our TSX is several inches shorter than the Accord we traded in, but the interior is nearly exactly the same, and even larger in some measurements. The trunk is the same. How? It is higher! You sit more upright, saving length. Surely this is the same with the TL. Shorter, higher and more compact. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Any of you have any tidbits, hearsay, rumour, etc about whether Navi will be offered on the new TL in Canada?
  • Options
    leomaccord1leomaccord1 Member Posts: 21
    Awesome! Interior shots are impressive, nice to see Honda take interior styling cues from Audi and apply them to the TSX and TL. It's a shame they didn't carry over the 17's from the TL-S which were pretty handsome. Only other complaint is the use of the square exhaust tips which I think look kind of cheap and remind me of the ones used on Pontiacs. Would have loved to see a set of quads like the new Maxima. I know, minor details... Overall, this car is incredible and I look forward to rowing those 6 gears and putting this thing through the paces. Kudos to Honda on a job well done!
  • Options
    I actually prefer the ones on the new TL over the ones on the current model.

But yes, quad round exhaust tips would be bitchin'
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I personally think the quad pipes make the car look cheap.
    Look at the M5 Bimmer, the quads look totally out of place.
    Thank you Acura for not doing that.
  • Options
    The quads look CHEAP? On the M5? The BMW M5? The meanest SOB in all of sedandom? I'm speechless!
  • Options
    king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    We've gotta great look at the interior/exterior of the new TL but as much as i'm lovin the new look, I still wanna know the specs. If anyone has any final news on the engine (3.2 ??), horsepower, Torque, etc ....please post. :)
  • Options
    3.2 liters with an offical 270 horsepower. Speculation suggests that it is under-rated by about 10 hp. That would be consistent with other recent engines, but I'm not making promises.

This from recent Acura brochures for the TSX and RSX. In the back of these brochures, they list a quick summary of each Acura product. According to the same source, the MDX is getting a 5 hp increase.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    leomaccord1, do you mean you want tips like these? -

• Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    or any other vehicle other than the TSX. To me it looks good. I would also have like to see the current dual pipes or the quads. Anyways, where are the foglights? I don't see any!
  • Options
    phataccord92phataccord92 Member Posts: 1
    I don't think this car looks anything like an Accord of any generation. I think it resembles an Audi in the rear, a Passat in the side and a TSX in the front. I only have a few concerns. I haven't fell in love with the side markers yet and, I hear they aren't offering a Type-S option. Can this be true? I am reading 180hp is the suggested power output. Do we know anything about torque numbers?
  • Options
    "I am reading 180hp is the suggested power output. Do we know anything about torque numbers?"

Where are you reading this? Everywhere I've seen says 280, not 180. Given that 225 HP was the lowest rating of any model of the previous gen (I think), I doubt that they'd go lower than this.
  • Options
    I'm thinking that 180 was a keystroke error.

Phataccord - Read up a few posts. Published output is expected to be 270.

There is no Type S. That model may follow in 2 or 3 years when sales of the base model start to falter from old age.

Regardless, everything I've been seeing suggests the base model will be as good as the current Type S, only with the option for better tires and a 6 speed MT.