Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    "Maybe it has something to do with how fast I drive - 80/90mph?

For some reason my tires only last 10K miles too, and I do NOT peel or smoke them. But I do take corners a bit more aggressively than normal people."

Taking those corners at 90mph can sure wreak havoc on tire milage.;-)
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't think that too much HP is a problem. I could be that the tranny isn't smooth enough.
  • Options
    king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    I personally think that technology has come a long way and that engines can and should reflect that. I don't think that we've hit a ceiling on horsepower that we could get out of engines. Look at cars like the Acra RSX which produces 100hp per litre (2.0 litre car). I had a 2003 Acura CL type-S and it was a lot of ponies but i think that it's possible to engineer even more out of our cars. I just feel that if they are gonna produce more power they just gotta also enhance other aspects of the car such as handling and traction...etc..
    just my two cents.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I hope I'm not experiencing early symptoms of a failing tranny!
  • Options
    mhuang100mhuang100 Member Posts: 7
    varmint- Thanks. The pics I saw are differnet! If you live in NYC, just go to a japanese bookstore near Rockefeller Center (on 48th st). There are 5 pics (REAL pics, very clear) about this new vehicle (front,rear and side view). This article is talking about 2004-2005 new cars
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Actually, the G35 competes with both the TSX and the TL. Same with the 3-Series, C-Class, X-Type. The ES300 is for the TL while the IS300 is for the TSX. By the way, the TSX is a pretty good value, considering that the MSRP for a TSX is only $28,990 for a Navigation System and an Automatic.
  • Options
    troyota1troyota1 Member Posts: 1
    If you have seen the spy pics as I have, are you wondering why Acura went back to a central handbrake instead of the current foot brake. In my humble opinion, the hand brake looks unfinished. Cleaner is better, especially in a beautifully finished interior like the new TL.
  • Options
    anyone seen the TL in any color other than Silver on Silver wheels? I'm getting tired of the same old pics circling around.
  • Options
    should cost less than the BMW.
  • Options
    The beige, red, and blue TL are pretty nice- the tan interior looks like it would look just a little better than the black interior.
  • Options
    The handbrake on the center console looks a little out of place- otherwise, sign me up for a dark blue, red, or beige with the beige interior, the navigation system, and the Sportronic Automatic Tranny!
  • Options
    courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    these pictures have been on the net for a long time, months ago. anyone have new ones? where are the fog lights? is it the same old engine tweeked to give a few more horses? hope it is smoother on the pickup. i own a 2001 which is very sensitive when accelerating, somewhat jumpy.
    lets pray they fix the transmission problems. mine is fine but problems are numerous. anyone know if they have replaced it with a new one or just re-worked the old? the hand brake is a big mistake, why not leave the foot pedal?

so far, not to impressed, maybe driving it will change my opinion.
  • Options
    skynet2500skynet2500 Member Posts: 5
    I bough the 10000 miles warranty for about $1500. Can anyone comment on how useful it is? Later I found that GEICO offers the same warranty for only $60 per annum.
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Since the hand brake is on the right, let's hope that this is a Japanese console that they stuck in these test cars. I think that we will still have some surprises when we see the production units.
  • Options
    anacuraanacura Member Posts: 1
    first msg to this board. new 2003 3.2 tl. compared to my old 94 camry the tl tranny seems jerky especially downshifting from 60 kmh (35mph)and down. is this normal for tl? or do i have problems?
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Based on my experience with Honda automatic transmissions, your tranny will get smoother with miles.

Until about 5000-6000 miles in my 98 Accord, I used to feel a slight jerk between shifts (especially 1-2, and sometimes 3), and accelerating during cornering (I'm a leadfooted driver) would leave the tranny wondering.

And then there was a noticeable difference. The only time 1-2 shift is felt if I accelerate hard and force the transmission to shift past 3000 rpm. The other shifts go unnoticed and in the situations when the tranny appeared confused have not come back. And now I have about 90K miles.

So, give it about 7500 miles, and you should notice a difference.
  • Options
    wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6256&n=158,178&- amp;sid=178

Just surfing the web when I found this. I have nothing to do with the pictures or the writing. I just found it while surfing the web.
  • Options
    ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    These are about a month old and there are many more, I you look on page 14-15 you have a better link.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I agree with the handbrake assessment. It looks generic in an otherwise stylish dash. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer it to the foot brake in my 2001 TL. It's just the look of the thing that bothers me.

Has anyone been able to determine the angle of the brake handle? The S2000 has an e-brake that is angled away from the driver (pointed at the passenger's side of the dash). It means that the pull action is up and toward your body. Very nice. I was hoping that the TL would use a similar design, but I'm doubting it. Has anyone found a pic that gives a real clue?
  • Options
    As much as I dislike the handbrake I believe the pictures are accurate. Since the cupholders are right next to it it would interfere if it were on the driver side. I still want to know if it has fog lights? Is the engine the same as the current one tweaked somewhat to increase horses? Is the transmission the same one reworked or completely new? I am still not sold on the design, waiting for the all important test drive. Hope it has at least 280 horses, some posts seem to think it has 270. Why am I concerned it is the same engine as the current type-s with an additional 10 horses. Am I the only one or does it look like a glorified TSX? Oh well lets wait and see !!!!!
  • Options
    Edmunds spy picture which was recently released showed the same PICTURE as The Car Connection did.
  • Options
    showed only the Silver exterior and the black leather interior. IMO, the Beige, blue, and what appears to be a Maroon, look a little better than the Silver. The Beige interior looks better than the Black- probably just because I prefer Beige interiors over Blacks. Gray interiors would be fine too. Just not too dark.
  • Options
    your tranny will either live a long and happy life or it will break.

P.S. the tranny in my TL-S is only getting worse with age.
  • Options
    stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    The engine is a tweaked 03 TL-S engine. I would imagine the transmission is the same. Fogs haven't shown up on spy pics, but could be a dealer installed accessory. The design follows the same theme as the TSX.
  • Options
    If the engine is the same as the 03' type s then they have just lost a sale. I own a 2001 with no significant problems but it is a bit jerky on the pick-up and there are to many transmission problems out there. And no fog lights? The hand brake is a big mistake, should have kept the foot pedal. Looks to me like the car is going away from the near luxury to being a sport car. Take it from someone who owns one, if the engine and trans. are the same, stay away. I hope i am wrong.
  • Options
    bobshiftrightbobshiftright Member Posts: 16
    With a manual transmission and 3 pedals, a handbrake is essential anywhere that the terrain isn't as smooth as a pool table.

Mercedes-Benz tends to offer cars with manual transmissions and underdash emergency brakes. That, combined with the awkward action of their manual transmissions leads some to conclude that they really want buyers to specify the automatic in their cars.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Mine is getting better with 8,000 hard driven miles!!!!!!
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I would hope that they'd take advantage of the improvements that were introduced in the 2003 Accord V6... mostly the 3 rocker VTEC, which broadens the power band and eliminates the "turbo" feel at 4000 RPM. As well as the vastly improved automatic transmission... shifting smoothness is dramatically improved. I'm comparing the 2003 to my 2000 EX V6, which I liked a lot, but the shifting was pretty rough at times.

There's no jerkiness at all with the new drivetrain.

And with the market segment that the TL is competing in, I'm amazed that anyone would complain about a handbrake. The TL has always been both entry level lux and on the sporty side, but the current gen was designed with an automatic transmission in mind, hence the footbrake. But now, with the greater availability of a manual, staying with a footbrake would be a big mistake, IMO, mainly for the reason cited by bobshiftright.
  • Options
    I agree that aesthetically it may look a wee bit awkward. But I give Acura a bit thumbs up for going back to a handbrake. I HATE the footbrake in the current TL/CL, especially the push-on/push-off design.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Not to be contrary, but... I also own a 2001 model, yet have experienced none of the transmission problems that have plagued others. And I'm a big fan of both the base and Type S engines. Power is good and strong, and delivery is smooth enough.

Any issues with throttle tip-in are issues with the cable-linked throttle, not the engine. The new TL is rumored to use a drive-by-wire system like the TSX. That should cure any problems at the pedal.

On the handbrake, I'm another who thinks this is necessary with the manual transmission. I can appreciate the desire to have an unobstructed console, but the 6MT version makes the handbrake a necessary compromise.

I believe that Acura has always tried to be the affordable performance & luxury marque, but they've failed since the Legend. The cars were neither luxurious nor sporty. The last TL and the MDX have been the best showings. The new TL, TSX, and rumors concerning the RL show signs that they are serious about getting the mix correct. The 6MT and HPT package are two of those positive signs.
  • Options
    I agree that aesthetically it may look a wee bit awkward. But I give Acura a bit thumbs up for going back to a handbrake. I HATE the footbrake in the current TL/CL, especially the push-on/push-off design.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    First of all, there WAS one spy picture that showed a new TL with fog lights. It was the one with the really cool looking drilled wheels.

As far as handbrake, I like the foot-operated one in the current TLs and don't like the idea of going back to handbrake. It's a terrible obstruction in the center console and doesn't do anything useful for those with automatic transmission.
  • Options
    I love the current CL type-S and i know that i can get the CL for under MSRP. But my dilema is that i also like the new TL comming out soon, but i don't believe that i'll be able to get a good deal on the upcomming TL. So my question is wheather to getta decked out CL type-S with navi, spoiler, chrome rims, etc. for $30 grand. Or Wait for the TL and pay aproximately $5 grand more? Especially with the rummors of the upcommig TL having the same engine & tranny...that makes me wanna just go buy the current CL for a great price.
    Any Opinions would be appreciated...thanx.
  • Options
    As far as fog lights, the pics I saw of the cars on the street in Ca. there were no fog lights, time will tell. As for the transmission, if it is the same one reworked I will go elsewhere. As for the engine, I also need to see some changes to sway me. Personally I still hate the hand brake, why is it needed? Most of the cars are automatics.
    I am one who feels they are going away from the luxury feel to a sport feel. Not sure if I care for it yet. Lets hope the price is not more than 33k without navigation.
  • Options
    If it were me I would go with the 2004. There is not the going to be a CL in 2004 and the price should be less than 35k. If you are willing to wait 6 months you can probably get it for 1k over invoice or 31K.
    just a thought !!!!
  • Options
    the TL sounds like another winner just waiting to win comparison tests and kill the ES300.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Personally I still hate the hand brake, why is it needed? Most of the cars are automatics."

Yes, for this generation, mostly because manual transmissions were only available on higher priced specialty models (Type-S). With this generation, it looks like you can get a manual on any TL, so I'm guessing there will be quite a few more TLs with one. So the changes make sense, since the handbrake is such a necessity for the manual and is entirely functional with an automatic. Besides, there are lots of precendents... many other cars (Accord, Altima, Camry, Maxima, A4, BMW 3 and 5 series, Lexus IS) come with handbrakes with either manual or automatic.

It's not likely to change, so I guess you'll either have to get used to it or look for alternatives... but as I noted above, many of the likely alternatives have the same feature.
  • Options
    Is Acura going to make the RL too have the same styling from the TSX, except larger headlights or some other differences? The styling is cool but does everyone want an Accord? or is it just me... i love the current styling of the RSX/TSX they are very nice and i think that they will do very well. Honda should have brought the European Accord to american when they redesigned it. I am not really interested in there current styling, and sales have been down! UH-oh.
  • Options
    If you have not seen any decent pics of the 2004 TL yet here's a great link .....
    http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName- =albuq16
  • Options
    I don't know what's your beef with the engine. The engine in the current TL is quite good.

However the transmission is crap.

And why do you like the foot-operated parking brake so much? Is the hand-operated brake sticking in the way of your purse?

king_george, those are the pictures of NY Autoshow concept car, not the real '04 TL.
  • Options
    give it some more time
  • Options
    The handbrake, being on the passenger side of the console, actually would not interfere with the driver at all. And when released (in the down position) should also have minimal interference with the passenger. Besides, the passenger doesn't have to worry about driving, so he should be able to maneuver a cup of coffee over the handbrake into the cupholder without too much difficulty!
  • Options
    Tell you what, I am going to wait around for this transmission to blow and when it does, I am going to say, I should have listened to my old buddy and pal Ruski.
    But for now, I am going to beat those 260 horses to the ground.
  • Options
    Good pictures??? that is the concept version from the New York Intl. Auto Show. I felt i should've waited for a CTS when I traded in my 99' Lexus ES300 for it. Now the CTS has a standard 255 hp coming in! Anyway, hope the TL is worth looking at. The concept version wasn't really my idea of looking at. The TSX which was a few steps away, you could sit in... Don't get me? The 2004 TL is exactly the TSX except bigger and the headlights are more grownup. Probably more luxurious features will be offered in the TL, but it is pretty much the same.
    Hope the transmission is changed.. because I sure have a problem with it.. on top of the engine... I tested one out before buying my CTS.
  • Options
    Are you saying that when you test drove the TL you had a problem with the transmission and engine.
    Explain to us the problems you had before you ventured off in Caddy Land.
    Did the transmission suddennly down shifted on you or better yet, did the engine fall out of the car?
    I can tell you this for sure, the Acura is a far better car than the CTS- IN MY OPINION.
  • Options
    I don't know if you don't like Caddy or something, put I don't like the transmission. Before I ventured off in Caddy Land as you like to call it, I test drove many vehicles. i test drove the 7-series from bmw (too confusing idrive) acura tl (i hate the transmission) infiniti m45(don't like the styling).
    If you don't like Caddy, which you probably don't because of your comments, that is okay. I don't care, because I personally do like Caddy. Please don't fight with me..I am telling you.. I didn't like the transmission in the TL. In my recent post 'transmission problems' which I said... I admit that I made a mistake.. i should've said I don't like the transmission and I prefer the Caddy too in styling.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    What are you smoking??? 2004 TL for $1,000 over invoice just 6 months after introduction? That's insane! You obviously don't know your history. The current model TL sold for MSRP for well over a year after introduction. Then you could get up to a $1,000 off for another year or two.

If Acura applies the same principles that they've applied to pricing for the last four years, the 2004 TL will be priced very competitively at the MSRP. And it is not going to sell for anything below MSRP for at least a year.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes it is in the way,,,, it serves no purpose, but whatever. If it does bother you so much that I dislike it to bad. I guess your panties got all ruffled, to bad little baby, go pout somewhere else.
    The tranny does suck and yes the engine is o.k. but the throttle needs to be reworked.
    Just tell me if it is the same tranny and engine.
  • Options
    When I purchased my 2001 in October of 2000 I paid $27300. It was an easy negotiation and I got the wood shifter thrown in. It was an easy negotiation. The market it not the same as back then. As inventory builds they will discount with 6 months, be patient