Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    no, its the Russian flag. I should know, I live here in Brooklyn with alot of "Ruski(s)" :)
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    Just picked up my Red/Parchment 6-spd on 11/21/03 and cannot be more thrilled with this vehicle. I must say that I was a little leery getting the red, but it was the only 6MT that my dealer had, so I decided to go for it. Honda's used the color on other models in the past, but I think it really comes to life on the TL. At 40, I guess this is my midlife crisis machine. :) Does anyone know what the two notches are on the inside of the front door pockets? It looks like they're there for some accessory, but I can't figure out what. BTW - I'm a little disappointed with all of the nitpicking I've read on this board. At $33,000, this car is pretty well perfect.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Granted that McGuire's is the popular make for wax at this time, but many people buy for the popular name. Zaino products are far superior in shine, protection and durability.

Here's a photo of our 2 Acuras taken today after washing. The TSX was last polished in July, and still looks incredible!

Mirror Signal Lights - Amazing - it IS in the brochure! When it comes to safety, more is better. Other drivers REALLY see the TSX's turn signals quickly. The TL shoulda had 'em

Outside Trunk Release Easy enough to do, all my Audis had them as well as the TSX

Auto On Lights My Toyota had this- it was welcome, I was never one of the brainless driving at dusk or night without my lights on!

DRLs Again, My Solara had these. I know they prevented several near accidents over the years, but only Canadian TLs get them. Why?

I'm not complaining, but it seems strange that a car that is obviously so well thought out wouldn't have these obvious features.

What's up with this, Honda?
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    I was told, by the Acura salesman, that the notches in the front door pockets are for sunglasses since the space for them was removed from the overhead area.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I believe DRLs are required by law in Canada. Not in the US.
  • dukapaduka1dukapaduka1 Member Posts: 3
    the notches in the door pocket will enable you to put move the coin holder from the armrest console to the door pocket.
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Hey, don't fret over your choice. If it makes you feel any better I'm a bit older than you and the Red/Camel is what I'm looking at right now. I like the Anthracite too though. Not sure the Camel looks as good in that color car.
    Enjoy the car.....
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for posting the photos. Very nice!
    You probably already have done this but could you comment on the difference in ride between the TL and the TSX?
    Have you kept factory tires?
    Thanks!
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    Thanks. I'll check that out. Not sure why you'd want your change down there, though.
  • sampy111sampy111 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone see the incoming calls caller id information? I can't figure out how to get the incoming phone number to display on the screen.

I have a nokia 3650 from AT&T wireless. Does anyone else have this phone and if so do you have the same problem?

Thanks
  • gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    Can someone explain to me why some feel it's a negative to have a car that doesn't have it's lights on all the time? My last car had this "feature" and I was having to replace the headlights every 10k miles. I realize the law in Canada requires it. If one's wipers are on, one's headlights need to be on in the US- that's our law. If it's a sunny day why would one want to have the headlights on- it's makes no sense IMO. 30 minutes after sun rise and 30 minutes before sundown is another law in the US regarding headlights.
  • mmm17mmm17 Member Posts: 31
    I have an 04 TL, if you want day time running lights, just leave the headlights on all the time and the auto off function will trun them off when the ignition is turned off. IMO, daytime running lights are not useful. If anything, they are harmful, many times I see a Camry on ES330 driving at night with just it's DRL's on because the drive sees some headlights beams infront of them and think they switched on the lights. Dangerous stuff those DRL.
    In my Solara the DRLs were separate bulbs OR the headlights running at reduced level. They were NOT at full power. I never replaced one in 5 years. I didn't like them at first, but after seeing many drivers take a second look and stop before pulling out in front of me, I began to appreciate them.

Maybe there is a way to get our fog lights to be on during the day?

The problem with just turning on the lights during the day is that the display is then dimmed so then you have to push the MAX button.
    Hi! The TSX and the TL have similar rides, but the TL is more "cushy" due to the longer wheelbase, and the car is a little quieter than the TSX. If you were to close your eyes, the cars would be very similar, as intended.

So far, I have no complaints about the Turanzas. They are smooth and quiet. I am sure that there are better tires, but I find these satisfactory (so far).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    had a chance to take a 6 speed for a ride today. Overall, a very impressive powertrain. Pulled like a freight train, any speed in any gear. Biggest problem was not getting a sensation of speed, or when to shift. Without looking at the tach, you couldn't tell if you were doing 1500 RPM or 4000. Frankly, 6 speeds are almost overkill!

Clutch and tranny action were excellent. Light and positive. i recall earlier comments about the clutch take up (too high? too low?), but it felt good to me. Tranny was nice and tight.

Compared to a G35, the TL felt "lighter" (the controls/clutch/shifter).

Handling was impressive, but I noticed a harsher ride than I expected. Not sure if it is normal (don't recall it from when I drove an auto), but it is possible that the tire pressure was too high.

Very quiet car. Except for a little tire noise, it had Lexus-like quietness.

never did get the seats quite adjusted right for my back, but with all the options, I assume the sweet spot is in there someplace. Actually, from a showroom comparison, I find the TSX seats to be a little more comfy, but the TL does have a lot of thigh support, but it did make for a slightly awkward left leg (clutch) angle.

Given the power on this car, it almost seems like the AT is a beter choice, expecially with the manual feature, but the 6 speed drivetrain was very nice. Brake calipars looked cool also.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The dash lights don't come on with the DRL, so it is *almost* foolproof in terms of driving at night with just the DRL on.

And they run on the highbeam at reduced power, so premature bulb burnout should not be a problem.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    My '01 Camry has DRL and automatic on/off headlights and I'm very pleased with it. With DRL your car would be seen much better, especially in overcast weather. It's nice when I drive into a tunnel or underground parking and the headlights instantly come on! I guess ACURA should add these features as soon as possible.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you folks seen the recently posted review of the 2004 TL? You can check it out via the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page.
  • jackfacsjackfacs Member Posts: 2
    I am going to buy either a new 2004 TL or a pre-owned BMW 530 ...I am considering a 2002 530 with 9000 miles, fully loaded with everything but nav....also a 2003 530 with 7000 miles which is also loaded...can get the 2002 for $37,500...not sure about 2003 but would not pay more than $40,000..do not know about TL pricing but i imagine i would pay in the $34,000 range.....size wise the cars are very similar and i like the redesign of the TL alot better than the previous one....am going to drive them back to back to compare rides....any thoughts/ input would be appreciated
  • rdeyrdey Member Posts: 2
    Some people mentioned programming problem with Homelink. The manual forgot to mention that the car needs to be in ACC when you program homelink. When I did that my Craftsman Garage door opener got programmed. I am yet to figure out how to program my other garage door which is Genie!

I have a black on black with Nav about 2 weeks old. No problems so far. I love the braking - very smooth. The voice commands are cool but too many to remember.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Has anyone seen the invoice (dealer cost) prices for the following accessories/options?

I have looked on Edmunds and KBB, but did not find anything on the following items:

1. Mud/Splash Guards/Flaps
    2. Wheel Locks
    3. Body Side Molding
    4. Door Edge Trim
    5. Trunk Mat

Still trying to decide between the TL and G35s and I am trying to get all my figures together to talk to the ACURA dealership.
    I just turned 1500 miles on my 04 T.L. and have loved every mile so far. The car has been flawless. I am averaging about 22 mpg. Oil life shows 80% remaining,which equates to about 7000 mile oil change.
    Will update at 5000 miles
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Can anyone explain how exactly does the "L" setting works on the auto shiftgate? The way I understand it, it doesn't denote any one specific gear, right? When the car is moving and you drop into L, does it go into one gear lower from whatever gear the car happens to be in? What happens if you shift into L from a stop and accelerate? What's the highest gear it would then go into?
  • sftroysftroy Member Posts: 30
    the notches in the flip out door pockets match the notches in the center console - you can move your coin tray from the center console to either door pocket. That is if your dealer remembered to give you your coin tray - it is a ~$60 accy!!! The sunglass holder is the rubber pocket also found in the flip out door pockets - these too are removable and should have been included (both driver & passenger). I miss the overhead sunglass holder . . .

sftroy

does anyone know how to install the smaller cargo net? Also, with the trunk cargo tray installed, how is everyone using their cargo nets? Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I installed the side cargo net and it works. However, I'm not at all sure that I did it correctly. It is a really odd looking contraption that isn't even symmetrical. I'm not at all sure that i can explain it. But, I think that the long band that is longer than the others connects to a knob up near the hing of the trunk. Then two on the floor of the trunk and the final one on the back wall of the trunk (towards you). This last one is also one of the knobs that I have the other cargo net connected to and therefore there is little room to put this last loop on this knob. I'm not sure that is helpful. If anyone has better ideas I would love to hear them too.
    I don't know if this applies to the TL, but there's one issue with leaving the lights on all the time with my Accord. The electro-luminescent gauges are illuminated at all times, and work best during the day at full illumination. At night, the full illumination is too bright. The Accord supports two levels of illumination, with full illumination when the lights are off and a driver-controlled reduced setting when the lights are on.

If I left the headlights on all the time, I'd have to be constantly fiddling with the instrument brightness, since no one setting would work in all outside lighting conditions.

Given that the TL also has electro-luminescent instrumentation, I assume that it would present the same issue. Or am I wrong about that?
    I think if you wanted to leave the headlights on all the time, you would just have to leave the instrument panel lights on the MAX setting. That should leave it bright enough for you to see the instruments at all times. Just hit the MAX button.
    Again, I don't know if this applies to the TL, but on the Accord, the max brightness, while necessary during the day, is nearly blinding for nighttime use. So if I followed this idea, I'd have to turn the illumination down at night, and back up during the day.

This isn't something that requires a solution for me... it was just a thought regarding a downside of of keeping your headlights on at all times when the instrument panel illumination is tied to the headlights and is always on.
    I love my '04 TL. It handles/performs fantastically, great toys- 5.1 surround sound system (best sound system on planet from the factory), hands-free cell using blue tooth through sound system, arguably best navigation system on the market and the Acura brand was rated number one for reliability by Consumer Reports last month- 4% points ahead of Lexus and Toyota.

Three close friends of mine have 5 series Bimmers. It's a fun car to drive, and handles marginally better than the '04 TL. The interior is richer looking and appears to use better materials and the paint job looks second to none. The BMW's are problem cars: mechanical, electrical and are probably the worst sedans in snow- snow tires do help.

Additionally, even with a BMW certified service contract- why are these low mileage cars being resold? Certainly they're not coming off leases. Are they dealer demos? Maybe someone traded them in for the new 5 series? Personally, I like the old 5 series better.

MSRP w/o navigation is $33,195- great value. You can buy it for less than sticker or get a bunch of amenities complimentary.
    I hope this helps.
    I had no problem installing this. I have the trunk tray so I hooked the small cargo net on the right side where there's a gap- it fits great. Holding it so it looks more rectangular than square, two loops were placed under the trunk tray, one loop on the top of the trunk and two loops on the side wall. I'm not sure if this makes sense. I can be more specific- I think- if needed.

The larger cargo net is another story. I still have to figure that one out. The problem is that the trunk tray gets in the way. The gap on the right allows the smaller net to fit nicely. I'll try it later this week and report back.

My posting pal- torontotl- frequents another posting board I go to. Unfortunately, I'll get chided if I post the link here and they'll remove this posting. Someone has posted 8-10 pics of their cargo nets set-up. They don't have a trunk tray in their TL, so it's not very helpful for me.
  • need4spd01need4spd01 Member Posts: 1
    Here are the photos that gregory28 refers to in message 2007.

They are of a 2004 TL with Nav (no trunk tray) - 6 Total. Hope it helps.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288496233&code=7292884- - &mode=invite
  • rushmanrushman Member Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a 04 TL auto/nav with door edge, body side moulding, and front,side and rear ground effects, this came to 37,124 with install labor, I was able to use two ohio dealers against each other and got it (silver) for 36,000 +tax. Has anyone noticed the paint being soft on the hood, in two months I have about 6 stone chips about 6in.back from the front edge, they are chipped out all the way down to the base metal. This is still a great car, had a 325i before.
    i test drove a cts and was pleasantly surprised.
    i thought it was very nimble and quick and handled much better than the reviews given it by the car mags.but i believe cars are an individual thing and should be bought on the basis of how it fits your individual needs. the t.l. was a much better choice for me. there is something about the ergonomics of an acura which make me feel much more comfortable than in the cts.my suggestion: drive all of your options and select the one that fits YOU
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    The standard tires on the auto TL in Canada are Turanza EL-42s. Tire Rack rates them as acceptable, but not great, particularly in snow. Given that we have 2 cm of partly cloudy on the road this morning in Toronto, that is a concern. I'd be interested in opinions on the factory equipped tires and whether anyone has experience with them in the snow.

Tire Rack rates both the Turanza LS-Z and the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S very highly in all conditions. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on either of these options for the TL? Are there other tire options I should be looking at?

Thanks.
    A fellow TL driver from Wisconsin just experienced his first snow driving experience a couple of days ago. He said he was impressed with his car's performance. We have the same tires that you folks get in Canada.
    Hi rushman - congratulations!

I have seen comments about "soft" paint on other forums for other cars. I think it is a matter of fact that the newer paints may not be as "hard" as previous. This is being driven by tighter air pollution requirements in most countries forcing new formulations for the paints. I believe that most car paint is now water-based!

I insisted that the nose mask (bra) be thrown in with the deal on my last 4 cars, and always use it when driving any distance. I also keep several coats of Zaino polymer car polish on the hood. This polymer cures very hard and adds some protection.
  • gcruzsmithgcruzsmith Member Posts: 22
    kfhmail:

Go into www.acura.com and build your TL. You will see options for interior and exterior accessories. Prices are included in addition to a quick view of what it will look like on the TL.

Splash Guards/Trunk Mat are considered the protection package at $277
    Wheel locks $49
    Body Side Moulding $175
    Door Edge Trim $75

Good luck with the accessories.

I purchased my TL with the protection package, wheel locks and chrome 18" wheels! Hot car! You will not be disappointed with the TL!!

Dealership wouldn't budge on accessories that much - I managed to have them throw in the protection package and give $300.00 off the chrome wheels.
  • boomer24boomer24 Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from my first drive of the '04 TL 6MT w/nav. I have to admit the car looks great - this one was silver/ebony with only 4 miles on it. I went into this with a completely open mind, more or less convinced that I would like this car based upon what I had seen and read. I am looking to lease as the current lease on my '01 325i is up in a month. But I have to be honest, I was a little disappointed.

The first thing I noticed after pulling out of the dealership was the infamous rattle or vibration coming from the dash behind the steering wheel. Not a lot, but enough to be annoying. It was mostly noticeable at low speeds going over uneven pavement. There was also more torque steer and the manual transmission was not as smooth as I expected.

Now I am not a BMW fanatic. But mine has run flawlessly and even performed well with rwd and stock tires during a very snowy winter last year here in the northeast. It handles, brakes and shifts better then any car I have driven thus far.

Bottom line IMO and all things considered, the TL was just not as nice a driving experience as the BMW. And that is what it ulitmately comes down to for me.

Too bad, I even brought a check with me to seal the deal. By the way, was offered MSRP less $1K for the car without even haggling.

Maybe I can still be convinced...
    Thanks need4spd01 for the link to the cargo net pics. I'm going to have to check my side net out, I have it mostly the same but there seems to be something just slightly different with mine. I have the larger net installed in a different spot in my trunk than the guy who did the pics in the link. Mine is located closest to you when you open the trunk rather than the mid trunk area. I like it here to put grocery bags in and so that it doesn't obstruct other larger objects going into the trunk. However, the larger net is great in it's flexibility and reconfiguration that you can do with it.

Cool to see other members from other Acura TL boards here too gregory28. I will check out my nets and take a few pics and post them in my gallery tonight if anyone is interested to see them. They are on that other TL board that I guess I can't mention.
  • carter98nccarter98nc Member Posts: 4
    Hello fellow TL enthusiasts! Just wanted to share my Acura experience. I picked up my 04 6 speed with Navi today -Anthracite with Ebony interior. I purchased it from Hendrick Acura in Charlotte. The service there was Outstanding!!!!

I dealt with a fellow named Ian who knew his stuff. He setup my bluetooth phone (Nokia 3650). Works nice! Nav is sweet! I won't buy another car wihtout it. Handling and ride are excellent. The only thing I would add would be the ability to play MP3s and maybe make this baby rear wheel drive.

To those thinking about getting one - get it now!!! Also be aware (at least in this part of town) getting a TL with Navi and stick will be difficult as the waiting list is somewhere into early next year.

Loved to share so more but gotta get back on the road!!!!
    Sorry to post again, but Acura really should give instructions on how to install the side cargo net. I think I have it right now. I went to my TL and checked out my cargo net and compared it to the installation that was done in the imagestation posting. I think we both had it wrong. His installation leaves an opening towards the front of the netted area that could allow things to escape. As well there is a triangular section that partially blocks you putting things into the side net. I reconfigured mine again so that the square part of the net acts as the side wall of the section of the trunk. Then the triangular section acts as the front section to fill in the area by the wheel well preventing things from escaping if you brake hard. I have posted pics at the acura tl board that gregory28 and I also post on.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Does the 04 TL (automatic) share the same (or substantially the same) engine and transmission as the 03 TL-S? I am a bit concerned because I have heard horror stories about the trannies in the TL-S.
  • jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    Anyone here about the 0-60 on the automatic? Motor Week just reported a 6.3 0-60mph on the MT.
    Just swithched out the OE EL42's for Potenza S-03 Pole Position, better grip, firmer ride, looks hot with an agressive tred design, the rubber is also super black, well worth the switch.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree with gregory28's assessment with one exception. I personally find the RWD 5-series steering and handling (especially with the sport package) to be head and shoulders above the FWD TL. I myself have a Maxima SE and, in my opinion, it and the TL are the best handling FWD sedans out there. But they are no 5-series.

That said, there are a lot of reasons why the Acura is the more practical choice. If you only find the 5-series to be a "marginally" better handling car, I'd lean to the Acura.
  • 95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    Engine is pretty much the same with an increased compression, cold air and some other small items. It is not the same transmission as last years so do not worry about the transmission problems (though that only affected 2% of all the cars so not as prevalent as people would have you believe)
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    No brainer. 530 is twice the car. Handling, acceleration, braking. No comparison. Drive one and you will see.