Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    lampetlampet Member Posts: 2
    Bought my first BMW, 99 528i, last week with Continental tires on 16" stock wheels. Am thinking of upgrading to 17" or 18" wheel, but have a few questions (please pardon the many questions, just trying to get the car ready for an enjoyable ride).

1) Other than looks, is 18" not worth the price for a 528? 2) Would 17" be the best for the 528, looks, price, handling, etc. 3) Would buying OEM replica from Ebay a good way to go? 4) Would snow tire be necessary in the Washington DC region with light snow in winter or would all season suffice with the wider wheels. 5) Any recommendations for tires for the 528. Appreciate your response.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    Avoid 18" wheels.. The price of tires is astronomical... I'd rather find used OEM wheels than the replicas.. The main complaint about replicas is yellowing finish and excess weight.

I think the 17" is the best choice for handling, cost, looks, etc...

If you can't find used OEM wheels, then tirerack has a nice selection of aftermarket wheels.

I can't comment on your snow situation in DC.. You'd have to make that choice yourself... But, since you already have 16" stock wheels, I would get winter tires for those, and buy summer tires for your new wheels..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    since I have "wintered" in DC is get snows if you want to be sure of getting to work. Snow clearing equipment in the DC Metro is minimal and they do get one or two significant storms every winter and it's often the slippery wet snow you get when temps are near freezing.

If you have the luxury of staying home or using mass transit you needn't bother.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Go with the 17 inchers. Looks will be great, and ride quality will not be too compromised. Cost for both wheels and tires would be significantly less. I would probably find a high quality aftermarket wheel/tire combo from someplace like the tirerack, or I would look for takeoffs. I would definitely get dedicated 3 season tires and dedicated 16" snows on either the original wheels or on steelies. If the originals are in excellent condition, and you want to take the time, you could sell them to defray some of the cost - If you are like me they will probably end up sitting in the garage until the end of time. lol. I use 16" Borbets with snows on my 540, and it was never stuck last year.
  • Options
    lampetlampet Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your response and recommendations. Greatly appreciated. I'll go with 17" for 3 seasons and find snow tires on for my 16".
  • Options
    pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Our weekend trip up the coast was not as long as that of dabimmer, but our e39 530i 5-speed averaged 32.3 mpg for the trip. The car still has the original Pilots at 34K miles. May even make it to lease end. However, they are very noisy.

Off topic. I use a Passport 8500 radar detector. On the way back to LA from up north, on the 101, the "Ka" on the detector went off. I quickly slowed down, and about 1/4 mile later, there was CHP just sitting there waiting to ruin someone's day. But not mine. After we passed the CHP cruiser, the detector went back to ready mode. I sped up. Suddenly, the detector went off again. I quickly slowed down again. Now the detector was at full siren. We looked around. Nothing. Where is the CHP? The detector continued to stay on full siren. Where is the cruiser? Suddenly it dawned on me. I looked in the rear view mirror. Yes, I found him. Right behind me. However, I was now going the speed limit, and the cruiser soon went around me. Moral of the story #1: I believe that the Valentine One has arrows indicating the direction of the radar source. Now I think that the arrows are a great idea. Moral of the story #2: Look often in rear view mirror.
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Yes, the entire trip was a great one ! Wonderful weather going and coming and we lucked out in Denver with temps in the low 80's for most of the 3 weeks. Did you make it up to SF again this vacation?
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Sad to say that my 530 and I didn't get to go on any road trips this summer, but we did make many trips to the hardware store for paint supplies! Not quite the same thing, but I do have a nicely painted kitchen. Actually, my boys and I will be heading to Scottsdale in the 5 during winter break. I think I will be picking up a radar detector for this trip after reading pen101's post. Did you use one for your trip? And if yes, what model/make do you have?
  • Options
    cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I think you're getting good advice and you've made a good decision. I live in Northern Virginia (State Bird: Freezing Rain) and drive 50 miles r/t each day. Just ordered a 2005 545 with SP and I'm going with 17 inch wheels and Dunlop M3s for winter. I pick up the car in two weeks in Munich so it ought to get back here in early November and I'll put the snows on shortly thereafter
  • Options
    boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I'm interested in the current 530i. I'm just wanted to ask owners of the current "bangelised" 5 series what made them want to buy one, and whether or not I should wait until the 530i receives the all new 3.0 sixer with 190kw. Thanks.
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Well, enjoy your newly painted kitchen. It makes a nice difference ,doesn't it? No I don't have a radar detector but maybe should have one. If you research this pass it on here on this board. Enjoy Scottsdale when you get there.
  • Options
    quint1quint1 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking at a 1997 525 with 163k on it for $6,800. I am not sure what maintenace has been done as of yet. What questions should I be asking? What's going to break down first? I commute about 25 miles each way. I would love to own a bimmer for the cost of a 1999 accord with the same mileage. Any thoughts? Buy it or run away?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ummm, for starters, there is no such a thing as a 1997 525i (at least not in the USA). In 1997, there were only two models, a 528i and a 540i. The question is, which one are you looking at?

Assuming that it is a 528i, and assuming average condition, average maintenance and average equipment (auto, sun roof, leather seats), $6,800 is probably a fair price, but no steal.

Regarding what will break down first; that's almost impossible to say, your guess is a good as mine. If you are a handy do it yourselfer type, and your local independent BMW shop gives the car a clean bill of health, it's probably a good deal. Otherwise, I might be inclined to take a pass on the car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    thanks -- I stand corrected. It is, in fact, a 528i. Its at a BMW dealership. Is there any sort of a check list I should make sure they have taken care of or anything like that? It sounds like there are not any real known issues with this model....
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, well actually there seem to be some issues (mostly interior trim and OBC issues IIRC), however, since I never had a 5er of that vintage, I cannot offer any comments of substance. I suspect that if/when the likes of div2 reads this thread that he will be able to offer great advice regarding what to look out for.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Does anyone here even own a current 5 series?
  • Options
    rnairrnair Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 04 545 6 speed manual with cold weather package. It is my believe the sports package is included in the 04 model. The dealer did not place the order in time and altered the order to an 05 model. In 05 the sports package is an option and he wants me to fork out the difference. They inform me that the sports package was made an option starting in Jan 04. I cannot find any documentation to that effect.
  • Options
    One point... Even if you buy it for the same price, you won't own that BMW for the price of a '99 Accord.

At 168K miles, even if the parts weren't more expensive (and they are), the extra maintenance and repair of a car with 168K miles, will eat you alive..

You'd be better off spending $8K more for a '97 or '98 with low miles, in the long run.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I can't say for sure... but I think they are wrong about the '04.. I think all the way until the end of the model year, the sport package was standard on the six speed model..

For '05, there is no separate six-speed model. The automatic is standard now, and the six-speed appears to be a no-cost option.. So, the sport package is an additional option on top of that.. However, the sport package is a required option with the 6-speed manual. The total MSRP with six-speed and sport pkg appears to have gone up about $800 over last year.

So, the price is not that much different, just a different way in arriving at it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    I own a '04 545. What went into my purchase decision? Same things that go into any car purchase decision really. I liked the way the car looked (though I didn't when they were initially launched), needed a bigger car than the 330xi I had at the time, I LOVED the way the car drove (I don't know how the 530 compares, but I've heard others complementing) and I was able ti work out a good deal for it (though IMO when buying cars this expensive the word "deal" takes on a new meaning). Also my 330xi was manual and because of the congestion around Chicago I felt that I'd be happier with an automatic (I know, what a horrible thing to say!). So far I'm very happy with it. I haven't had any problems (besides for two recalls), and it's just a blast to drive. Plus the trunk in it is huge (which is good because I didn't get the split folding rear seats because I took a car that was on the lot rather than ordering one). In fact, there really isn't anything about the car that bothers me. I got Silver Grey Metallic which I think is a great color for the car (plus it doesn't show dirt as quickly). Good luck with your purchase!
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm not as pessimistic as kyfdx, but 168K IS a lot of miles. I would not even consider buying the car unless
    1. It has a full service history
    and
    2. It has been thoroughly inspected by a qualified BMW technician.
    It sounds like it might be a good car for someone who has the ability to DIY a lot of the maintenance and repairs. If you have to take it to the shop for every little glitch then it's certainly not the car for you...
  • Options
    I think you are right -- I don't want to get sucked into a money pit. Found a 97 528i with 114k on it for $8,999 -- that's probably going to be a better deal for me. I am looking at it this week!
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My wife's work sled is a 1997 528iA with 108k on the clock. In the past couple of years the only non-scheduled maintenance has consisted of a windshield washer pump($31), the fuel filler door hinge($12), and a couple of tail lamp bulbs($4). I wish that BMWs weren't so darned expensive to maintain-those repairs are killing me... :0
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply rich545. Just another thing, is the iDrive easy to use? If you've tried the toyota/lexus versions of the sat nav would you rather that than iDrive? Or is the iDrive fine to use.

Would you possibly have any photos of your 545i for me to see? Thanks.

The only dilemma is just that it seems a bit expensive, so I'll be waiting for the GS and the A6 to see what deals they come out with.
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 4
    for the E39. I never owned a BMW prior to getting a '99 528iT recently, but it has been eye-opening in the sense that I never realized the complexity of the electronic systems on this car. The ASC/ABS controller, for example, is used for far more than you might think. The ASC controller can make the transmission slip, for example, either on purpose or due to a fault. Even the outside temperature sensor is used by the A/C system. So, while the I6 engine and drivetrain are relatively reliable, there are certainly lots of other things that can go wrong. So, when people advise you to get a full service history (and that means a decoded service history that shows what was actually done to the car), they are not kidding.

That said, these are wonderful cars - just make sure you find the "Ultimate Driving Machine" rather than the "Ultimate Money Pit"!
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Quint1… If you are shopping high-mileage cars see if you can find out about the previous owners driving habits and itinerary. A car with high mileage and mostly highway driving is not nearly as worn as one that has been driven in local traffic.

Boomsama… As long as you are not yet sold on the 5, are looking for bargains and are cross-shopping the GS you may want to consider the 04 RL—bargain city and reliable. As far as iDrive, it's easy to use. However people take to it differently. Spend some time with it in dry dock and decide for yourself. Finally most people buy BMWs because of the ride quality. If you cannot differentiate it in this area from the cars you are cross-shopping then stay away from it. There are luxury sedans and there are sport sedans and never the twain shall meet. There are plenty of luxury buyers who do not like the stiffer BMW ride. However this ride is the number one priority for people who are passionate about BMWs. Personally, I can't see a decision between these cars coming down to luxury features, especially since the dust has yet to settle on the added "technology" in these new cars. BMWs are nothing without their driving dynamics. If you can appreciate this, then they are bargains.
  • Options
    The thing is, should I wait for the new 3.0 engine to be put in the 530i?

Also, could anyone please supply me with some links to some reviews of the 530i? Thanks.
  • Options
    For the following reasons I would wait:

1 - Both the 525 and 330 engines will be getting a fairly significant increase in torque and horsepower.

2 - I recall reading that active steering may become a stand-alone option. Currently, if you want the sport package you're stuck with active steering.

3 - You would think that by the third model year, bugs will have been worked out. In an era of rapidly changing technology I never cared to be the first in the pool of new products. There's just too much dust that has to settle. We are already being raked over the coals with computer products. I see no reason to succumb to this in the automotive arena unless it just turns you on for some reason.

Online reviews: Just punch in—BMW 530 reviews—on Google or your favorite search engine and you'll get plenty.
  • Options
    2.5 and 3.0 engines get the power upgrade. It would seem to follow that all platforms using these engines... 5, 3, X3, Z4 ... inherit the upgrade.
  • Options
    I actually find iDrive to be simple and no more distracting than the traditional radio/CD changer/climate control set up. In fact, I prefer it, but I realize there are plenty of people that don't. I just happen to like new technology in my cars. The only other iDrive-like system I've tried is in the Lexus LS430 and I found it more difficult to use than iDrive (this is in an '03 model so I don't know if it has changed). More importantly though, the Lexus drives like a boat which is not appealing to me, and much more important than iDrive. I don't have nav or satellite radio (though I will be adding sat radio soon) so I can't comment on that. I agree with a lot of what designman said except about being "stuck" with active steering. It does take some getting used to, but after you've driven it for a while you'll realize how unresponsive traditional steering feels. I actually feel stuck with standard steering now when I drive a car without active steering. In fact, I almost feel unsafe because regular steering doesn't turn as quickly at low speeds or get as tight at high speeds. There is a full review of the 530i on Edmunds.com:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/5series/100344931/roadtestart- - icle.html?articleId=101320&tid=edmunds.e.roadtests.content...- - BMW*
    As far as posting pictures, my 545 looks just like the one on BMWUSA's website (same color even) so I'll spare everyone here and just post the link:
    http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/545iSedan/gallery.htm. It is definitely expensive so I understand that concern. Mine came out to about $63,000 US (I got it for about $60K though), and that's without split folding rear seats, rear heated seats, parking assist, nav or sat radio. It does have premium sound, sport package, the cold weather package, and the rear sunshade though. If you go to the website and build a 545 with everything it's about $70K US whereas the 530 with everything is about $65K US. If it was me and I was choosing between the loaded 545 and loaded 530 I would go with the 545 because it is much faster and to me that's worth the $5K more. But some people do actually prefer the less agressive engine in the 530.
  • Options
    When may the updates for the 530i and the 525i be available?
  • Options
    Are the sports seats just the normal seats but with adjustable thighsupport?
  • Options
    Argh, triple post. Are the iDrive functions available at all times while driving, unlike toyota vehicles where functions are disabled when the car is moving?
  • Options
    Don't know about the first question regarding updates to the 525 and 530. I believe that the sport seats are a little different than regular seats (I haven't sat in regular seats though). I think the sides of the seat wrap around more and there are more possible adjustments. All iDrive functions are available at all times. I don't have nav, but I believe you can use it while moving. I know what you're saying though because my inlaws Lexus makes you stop to input new destinations into the nav system. Drives them crazy. I know why they do it like that obviously, but no one seems to like it much.
  • Options
    Sport seats have larger side bolsters on the back and seat, plus the extendable thigh pad..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    So what are the comfort seats then?

And one more thing rich545 :), How do you find the ergonmics of the car in everyday life? e.g. using the doorhandles from the inside, and also the power window switches which seem to be strangely placed.
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Comfort seats do not have the adjustable thigh support. They do include an adjustable lumbar support(horizontal and vertical) and the upper seat back is adjustable separately from the lower seat back. The side bolsters are normal.
  • Options
    The ergonomics are fine. I don't mind the door handles or window switches. Honestly though, I really don't put much importance on stuff like that. The window switches open the windows and the door handles open the doors. So they do what they were designed to do. As it is with most new cars, you get used to where everything is and then it feels wierd when you're in a different car. I know some people don't really like the cup holders either, but they hold every size cup I've put into them securly so that's all I really care about. You really need to just go drive the car though because how I feel about all of this may be different than how you will feel. The fact is that I LOVE the way the car drives, like how it looks and like the size of it. The seats are really comfortable, and the sound system is awesome. Those are the things that really matter to me. I remember hearing that when VW's only came with a manual shifter they had a slogan something like "Soon it becomes automatic." I have found the same to be true about the 545. Soon active steering, the iDrive and the ergonomics become automatic.
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I bought 17" BMW wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. That was 4 years ago and then moved them from my '99 528 to my "03 530.
  • Options
    How do you find your 530? Does it have "enough" performance? Or would you rather have opted for the 545?
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I'm getting used to the new style and test drove a 530i with 6 speed, SP, PP, Cwp, Xe's and a few other frivolous options. It seemed great, but the salesperson would only give about a 4 mile test drive. "They don't want too many miles on test cars!" What!?! I really need to see if I can live with the SP on some harsh roads, as my commute is 55 miles each way. Plus, it was an '04 and they were only giving a $2000. discount off of list. I don't think Westcheter BMW does too many good deals. They have to build that new multi story dealership, you know. Hmmm. I've seen others online $4500.00 off of list, which might still be too high for an '04.
    Anyway, I have to find another dealer and may just wait for the '05's, or order one if I can find a good deal in the NY metro area.
    I know that BMW is upgrading the motor soon. Any idea when? Anyone hear that it will be in '05, or is it still in the future?
    Thanks

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    i heard that it might be in the near future as it's already in the 630ci and to be in the next 330i.

It seems like the new R6 engine takes about 0.7seconds off the 0-100kmph time compared to those that have the current 170kw engine.
  • Options
    maccarmaccar Member Posts: 10
    I am considering buying a 2003 530 at an auction. Has anyone purchased a car this way? Obviously, a significant savings, but no recourse if there are problems with the car down the road. How does BMW handle timing of the warranties, i.e. model year or date the car went into service? Just trying to decide if the potential savings outweigh the potential unknowns. Thanks
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I can't think of any reason why a car sold @ auction would not retain factory warranty coverage assuming the title was good (not salvage).

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    Exactly.. Just get the VIN #s before the auction, and have them checked out by a BMW service department.. They will be able to tell you if any issues, and what the warranty expiration will be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Would CarFax have the same data, i.e. date of warranty expiration?
  • Options
    They might... but, it might be wrong, also..

The BMW service advisor can print a vehicle history report that has ALL the info, including the service history and what options came on the vehicle.. You just have to schmooze a little bit.. Tell them it is a private party sale, that you are bringing the car there for service (which will be the truth.. its free).

I wouldn't buy a used BMW without getting that report.. I bought mine used from a broker, and I had him get the report from his local dealer, and fax it to me.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Having never purchased a BMW and not wanting to sound dense, is the person I want to contact at the dealership called the "service advisor"? Is there another title or will this suffice? Thanks
  • Options
    Yes.. service advisor is it.. When you call, just ask for the service department.. A service advisor will answer.. I usually start out by telling him that I need his help.. If they aren't too busy, they will usually be glad to. Last year, when I was shopping, I had a success rate of about 80%.. If you get shot down one place, just try another.. be polite and succinct and have that VIN# ready.

Long distance minutes are cheap... bad BMWs aren't...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bmwdonbmwdon Member Posts: 2
    Are you going to buy the stick or the automatic. 530i stick is fine