Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    lponz7lponz7 Member Posts: 25
    I picked up my 325i last week. While washing this weekend, I noticed a little nick in on the edge of the trunk lid. It's not very obvious, but definitely into the paint--Klasse won't take it out. So two questions: (1) am I being obsessive by asking the dealership to repair, and (2) is this type of minor touch-up feasible--I don't expect them to paint the whole trunk lid. Thanks.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    lponz7 - This happened to me a few years back. Noticed a significant dent on the inside of a truck tailgate after I had the vehicle for a few days. Dealer said I caused the damage and wouldn't repair it. The lesson for all is to look VERY closely at all interior and exterior surfaces at time of delivery and say something then. Otherwise it is your word against theirs.

By the way, after reading several days worth of postings from being away on a business trip, I think blueguy is also away, and his 15 year old son is posting with his sign on :)
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    By the way, after reading several days worth of postings from being away on a business trip, I think blueguy is also away, and his 15 year old son is posting with his sign on :)

Yeah, I won't even tell you what I caught him doing with my credit cards. He's now locked back in the root cellar. I swear, the other kids hear those pathetic pleas for food and water and they always let him out. I need to sell some of them on ebay...
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Hmmmm. Never argue with a teenager. They'll beat you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Having years of experience securing IT systems, you can't even get into my computers or networks without a biometric device. :)
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    What are the latest numbers on the money factor and residual on a 2003 325i?
  • Options
    honda_autobahnhonda_autobahn Member Posts: 25
    Heard a rumor from my salesperson that we may finally see 2004 pricing on the sedans this week. Anyone else heard that or is it too soon?
  • Options
    Having years of experience securing IT systems, you can't even get into my computers or networks without a biometric device. :)

i tried that...darn kids lopped off one of my fingers. i woke up when they with hovering over my eyes holding pliers. sheesh, kids nowadays. ;)
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I am driving my friends 325 here in AZ and there is no gas (some pipeline broke causing a shortage). Regular is easier to come by than 91, if at all. How much harm (if at all) would be caused by a tankful of regular unleaded instead of premium?
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    One or two tanks of regular aren't going to hurt anything, all the electronic engine controls will keep the timing retarded. 89 octane would be a better choice if you can't get 91.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I could not agree more. Who needs anything else when you can transport 4 people in luxury without sacrificing performance.

I drove from DC to Philly this weekend (150 miles each way)and was amazed that I got 33.7 mpg with an average speed of 70 mph (which included many tollstops, delays, and several bursts upto 95mph). And I had a huge smile on my face through the duration of the trip.

Add to this that you can throw in a stroller and plenty of bags for a weekend trip, and you do have the Perfect Family Car. I feel no need to get anything different or bigger.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Hi folks - I've been lurking on the board for awhile. I just bought an '01 325i 5-speed (Titanium Silver w/ Black leather). I can't stand the wood trim! Is it possible to have the OEM aluminum trim installed? I know there are plenty of aftermarket options, but I'd really like the official BMW trim if that's possible.
  • Options
    orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    Thanks for the link. I found another afterward, Paintscratch.com that I'm trying out. I'll post with results. It seems that they'll send the touch up paint in three layers: Primer, Base Coat and Clear Coat.

Mydealer got back to me and said because of some CA law they stopped shipping touch up paint to all 50 states. I'd love to know if that's just a line or what. It seems easy enough to mix up some and just put it in little jars, they have to do it for auto body work.
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    There's about a dozen different interior trim options (I think more) in Europe and other parts of the world. It would cost at about $450 to $500 for the replacement wood trim sets. I know of a person who did do just that during an ED. The price may vary more depending on the trim material, etc.
  • Options
    scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    orkwis - it's actually true. You can't get official BMW touch-up paint anywhere because of a company-wide recall.

parnola - a couple of options: check out mail order pricing through some of the classic discount mail-order dealerships (Cutter, Center, Pacific, Crevier, etc.) If you are a member of the BMWCCA (and you should be - a nominal membership fee gets you a lot of priveleges, including a $500 rebate on new or CPO 3-series cars after a year of membership), check out the ads in the back of Roundel and call up the listed dealers (well, except Peter Pan... god I hate those guys).

A brand new, OEM trim set can run upwards of $400, but on black leather does tend to look spiffier than the wood trim IMO. The trim I believe that you are looking for, the silver metallic trim, is called Matte Chrome, and will run quite a bit less than the new Brushed Aluminium which you might mistake it for.

The second option is to lurk on the "For Sale" boards at Roadfly.org or E46fanatics.com, waiting for someone to put their old trim up for sale. You can save some money this way, but be forewarned, the crowd there is painfully young and it shows. Also, the competition for Matte Chrome Trim is intense - lots of people who have wood trim want to swap it out, and so don't expect to have a massive amount of bargaining power.

Finally, a note on installation. From reading the boards, my understanding is that the dashboard pieces are very straightforward and easy to install. If you have a coupe or convertible, the armrests are a bit more challenging. The sedan door trim is different than the coupe and convertible pieces, and the center piece for convertibles is different from sedans and coupes. Make sure you order the right set for your car.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    The swaybars sound great. I may move them to the top of my list (above the UUC short-shifter). Unfortunately(??) for my 40th b-day, my wife bought me a Yamaha TTR-250 but, since she doesn't work, I have to pay for it so my play money is gone.

BTW, after talking about it for a LONG time, we're finally heading up to Boston this weekend. We're planning on spending Friday in Salem and then the rest of the weekend in Boston.

If you're interested in doing a Shipo type car trade for a day or two, let me know. I'd like to check out those swaybars. The downside is that we'll have the wife's Odyssey so you'd definitely be getting the bad end of the deal. hahaha! But it is good practice if you and the Mrs. plan on adding a couple more wee ones to the pack. ;-)
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Thanks for the info on the trim - now I can begin my search armed with much more information. I appreciate it!
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I was wondering what is the first letter or number in the VIN that I can tell where the vehicle is made. I heard that some are made in South Africa. Can anyone here tell the difference in their vehicle if its made in S Africa ir Germany. Thanks
  • Options
    Looks, to me, like the the 4th,5th, and 6th digits would give that information. If they are AN3, then it's SA built.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php
  • Options
    hardy21hardy21 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had experience buying a Factory Executive BMW? I find it hard to believe that any BMW execs would be driving 3-series so are these really demo cars, salesman's cars, etc.? Any info would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    The "N" gives it away. I don't think there is any noticeable difference between a South African built and a German built 325i is there?
  • Options
    My SA built car's quality was so bad that the front bumper fell apart the minute I drove off the dealers lot. Just kidding.

No, there is no difference.
  • Options
    I always thought it was the first numbe or letter. My Mitsubishi and Lexus both started out with "J" which it meant it was built in Japan.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    that faq is in need of some updates, some 2004 letters and numbers are not matching their code list... (not position, just code list)

ksso
  • Options
    That's believable... for all I know it hasn't been updated since I found it back when I was shopping for my car (2000). Sorry if it created any confusion.
  • Options
    I am looking into an 03 325Ci. I was wondering what are the benefits of the sports package. I know you get the clear corner and turn signals, chromed tips, and bigger rims and higher rated tires. What are the benefits of this package for a grand. Is the ride rougher? I know I can get these answers at the dealer with a test drive but I hat going to the dealer unless I'm ready to buy. Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    SEATS!!!! The sport seats, IMHO, are far superior to the standard seats (some may disagree, though).

While the suspension tuning is the same between sport and non-sport (true for 325Ci only, not 325i), the larger diameter wheels/tires will stiffen up the ride. The reward would, obviously, be superior handling. The only way to know for sure which is more desirable to you would be to drive them both on your roads, in your style.
  • Options
    #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    We are off to France tomorrow on a 2-week vacation. We'll have to catch up with each other next time around. I'd love to drive the van and find out what it takes to drive it on 2 wheels :o) BTW, whenever your budget allows, get the sways first and then the shortshifter. You get a lot more out of the sways!!

Just got back from a 2-day driving school at Watkins Glen tonight. I had a great time - this is one unbelievable track!! I burnt through my front street pads in a few sessions and ended up putting in racing pads. They pull the cheeks off your face under hard braking. I think I'm not going back to street pads even for street driving.
  • Options
    make a point to drive through the riviera... all the way into italy!
  • Options
    indigo320indigo320 Member Posts: 3
    I am deciding between these 2 models have owned 1981 320i and 1991 318is 5speed,been very happy with my BMWs but every winter put 4 snow tires and extra weight in trunk, which helped with traction..Now with the new traction/stability control in 325 is that helpful,or is worth extra money for 325xi?
  • Options
    I just saw one on the outskirts of madrid... zipped right past my slow taxi cab... more to follow...

ksso
  • Options
    Riez.
    My dealer gave me a VIN# and the 11th digit is a 'P'. Does anyone know where it is being built. He said it is built in Germany but doesn't know which plant.
  • Options
    Try this link and let us know what you find

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
  • Options
    The new 5 has been out for about a month or two in Germany.
  • Options
    Tenet, Web site doesn't tell me what plant it is from.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    memphis10... Don't know what "P" equals. Data I have, which I got from bimmer.roadfly in 2002, indicates:

A= Munich
    B= Dingolfing
    D= Dingolfing
    E= Regensburg
    L= Spartanburg
    N= South Africa
  • Options
    honda_autobahnhonda_autobahn Member Posts: 25
    I have seen 3 or 4 so far in Germany. Much nicer in person than in the photos. Very large. Not so sure how nice those flame sides will look after a few door dings. No protection. Check out www.bmw545i.com. This guy has the US Option and color sheets posted.
  • Options
    I test drove a 325Ci today. Man, can that car handle and accelerate!. I loved it and was ready to buy although they didn't have the color I was looking for. It was in Silver and only had premium package,leather, and steptronic. What I was looking for was it in steel blue or topaz blue with prem. pack, step, leather, and xenons. Anyway, it had 28k miles and they were asking for $27,800. I was thinking about taking it but changed my mind. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Is BMW continuing with the special sport edition of the 330 i? And if so is it going to be available with the SMG? Also, does anyone know if you can order the sport seats as a stand alone option?

I'm looking for real world experience with the SMG option, so if anyone has it, I would appreciate your feedback. Is it better than step or annoying in the "auto" mode? Do you find yourself really using it in "manual" or keeping it in "auto" anyway?
    It seems to be making its way into more models so I was wondering on the pros and cons.

Thanks
  • Options
    brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    My wife and I are off to Europe to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Do any of you young autobahn BMW roadrunners know the driving time from Frankfurt to Bern? I have rented a BMW in Frankfurt and plan to head for Bern via Basel the first day. Is the best route the A5 to Basel?

Thanks.
  • Options
    The distance is about 265 miles. From Frankfurt to the border should be just under 3 hours or so. You will need to pay for a vignette at the border, I forget but it was about 40 euros, or Swiss franc. Basel is just over the border, and another 1 1/2 hour from the border to Bern. There are numerous speed cameras and police in Swiss, and they are very strict, so be careful.

Since there are still people on vacation until the first week of September or so, traffic may be heavy in certain areas. www.viamichelin.com has an excellent route planner.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    330i performance package model (ZHP) is the only 3-series that WON'T be available with SMG (oddly enough). Originally only available with 6-speed manual, it will also be available with the steptronic this fall. Supposedly, all other 3-series will have the SMG option available. Sport seats are not available as a separate option... only available with the sports package or the ZHP option.
  • Options
    could a CPO ever have been in an accident? I found a really good deal on the and was trying to find out if there is something wrong with the vehicle.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    run the VIN through carfax. It will tell you if the car has been in a major accident. Also do a visual inspection. check to see whether the tolerances between body panels is consistent. If you want extra knowledge, pay a european car body man to inspect the car for you at his shop.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I went through carfax and they found 2 records in their database. Of course I have to pay $20 to get the report.
  • Options
    I went through carfax and they found 2 records in their database. Of course I have to pay $20 to get the report.

If you're looking to buy used cars, just get the unlimited carfax option for $25. Money well spent. and you can use it to help others. :)
  • Options
    As many of us know already, Carfax is not always accurate and sometimes not only does it not have everything, but also contain incorrect data. The accident I had back in 99 was not listed when I ran my car last month. It did go through the insurance, involved another party, and not insignificant repair cost.
  • Options
    mrman_3k3mrman_3k3 Member Posts: 17
    Hello all. I have been trying to read up on these forums about the 3-series which seems like an excellent car. My Father is in the market for a new sports sedan and the three finalists are the 330 with the PP, the 325 sport, and the Infiniti G35. Now we are not sure yet if we should lease or finance and which car would give us the best deal, but I wanted to get people's opinions on each of these cars. I have not test driven the 325 but I am worried that the torque of the engine will not give you that great kick in the pants feeling that you get typically when a car has 200+lbs-ft. So any opinions, comments, etc would be appreciated.
  • Options
    hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    Just to muddy the waters a little more for you....
    The 2003 5er's have incentives for few bout another week. You can get a 530 for about $3000 BELOW invoice and a 525 for $2500 BELOW invoice. This puts them in about the same price range as the 330 sedans! Bigger car with very little loss in handling... Check some of prior posts on the 5er prices paid area...#299,302,307,359
    Good luck.
  • Options
    I have a 325 and compared to the 330 I do not feel that there is a very significant loss in power/performance. I believe that it is all about one's driving style. I drive my 325 hard and love the ability of this car to really move. Sure, it is always nice ot have a faster car but after I recently drove a 330 and was glad I didn't fork out the extra 5-6K. I'll just save my money for an M someday.
  • Options
    but I wanted to get people's opinions on each of these cars. I have not test driven the 325 but I am worried that the torque of the engine will not give you that great kick in the pants feeling that you get typically when a car has 200+lbs-ft. So any opinions, comments, etc would be appreciated.

Night and day, my friend. I would not buy a 325i. I loved the handling but the car lacked the punch I wanted for 30k+. The G35 was a great deal of fun and for 30k (msrp of about 33k) it was a hoot. Once I tried a 330i with manual, I was hooked. Then I got into my 330i with the Performance Package (ZHP) and it was all over.

Someone else wrote: I have a 325 and compared to the 330 I do not feel that there is a very significant loss in power/performance. I believe that it is all about one's driving style. I drive my 325 hard and love the ability of this car to really move.

Obviously, he didn't drive a ZHP. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds vis-a-vis the 325i's 7.5 or so. That's not a big difference? Performance in terms of handling was also markedly different. Every magazine comments that the ZHP is the closest thing to an M3 sedan that BMW makes in terms of raw performance and handling. The car flat out cooks.

Yesterday I took a quick trip up to Temecula from San Diego. The speed limit on the 15 is 70 mph. I was running between 90 and 110 up there. 80 miles covered in 50 minutes (there's a checkpoint for contraband of some sort right outside Temecula that slows you down to a crawl for 5-10 minutes). The ZHP was smooth as silk, quiet and scary solid. I haven't pushed much past 110 yet but it's still got plenty of room to keep going. Oh and I averaged 26.5 mpg.

Drive a ZHP and a 325i back to back. And when I say drive them, I mean shift the ZHP at 6300-6500 rpms. Take it through real corners. The 325i will feel like a dog after that.

Still, if you're after more luxury and performance, I'd say 30k or so on a G35 is a shrewd move. And if the power of the 325i doesn't bug you that much, go test drive a 6 speed TSX - for my money at 26k it's nearly as good a handler as a 325i, but with better reliability, a better engine, better interior appointments and a much better tranny than any BMW 3 series (the one thing I hate in my ZHP is that cruddy, binding, harsh 6 speed).