Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I also have the Wintersport M2 on my 530i and love those tires. Very quiet on dry and handles very well. In fact some Germans I see on the road drive on them year-around.

As ddblue put it, the all-seasons are a compromise at best. Also, remember that your AWD with all-seasons will get you moving with less difficulty, but when it comes to stopping, it is no better. I have a 1989 325ix that gets moving quite well, but I drive slower in it than the 530 as it only has the all-seasons. I know from experience that it does not stop well, to the tune of $1,200~.
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Did you get a full set of the snow tires, or just the rears? And did you get a whole extra set of wheels for them?

FWIW, my A4 Quattro has done superbly with its original Goodyear Eagle-II's and also with the Dunlop Sport SP's that are on it now. But I am leery of going RWD with non-snow-specific tires in the winter.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "but when it comes to stopping..."

Stopping was never an issue, getting stuck is. This is what AWD should help tremendously with.
  • Options
    bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    bmw sort of led us to believe that the performance package would be limited production but it's available for '04.
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    congratulations on your purchase! i didn't get the cold pkg just the folddowns. i use my fold down split-seat option alot. skiis, bicycle, large ikea purchases... someday maybe i'll sleep in it too.
  • Options
    ddblueddblue Member Posts: 117
    My two cents:

- It's recommended that when you replace tires, they should all be of the same tread and rubber compound. Mix them up and you can drive okay, but during emergency situations, the car will get squirrely (translation: dangerous and tough to handle). You will compromise your own driving skills and the handling characteristics of the car. Better to plunk down an extra $300 for two new tires than paying the the dentist to get your front teeth removed from your forehead. Seriously, it is NOT worth the money you save to compromise your own safety.

-If you change only two tires, they should only be new tires of the same kind as the opposite two (only front two or back two, not two from one side, especially if the original tires you keep on the car will have significantly less tread than the new ones you're putting on).

- I definitely purchased new wheels. I actually bought upsized (18" x 8 wheels) for upgraded performance tires (Kumho Ecsta MX, which are amazing and inexpensive). I bought the Dunlop Wintersport M2s and put them on my original SP, style 44 wheels (17 x 8). I didn't want to pay the $100 each time to mount and balance the tires twice a year. It's easier this way, and I can change the wheels out myself at home.

Sure it costs more to add wheels, but in the long run, it saves you money on aspirin (for the headaches you get when you have to lug tires to your local tire shop and carry the dirty ones back home after they gouge you for mounting and balancing).

***IMPORTANT NOTE: Very few tire shops have high-speed balancing machines. These are quite expensive ($15K), so most places like Merchant's do not have them. Getting your tires balanced on a high speed balancer (Road Force Balancer) is important b/c when you reach higher speeds (60+), you may encounter wheel vibration if the tires are balanced without the high speed balancer. I think this is essential for Bimmers. Ask around and find out if your local tire shops have a high speed balancer and get it done. I've had two friends (540i SP and 528i) go to places without the high speed balancer, and they've had to get their tires rebalanced three times. They ended up paying 100 bucks each time. Ugh. Save yourself the headache. I did mine once, and I've had zero problems.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    When (month) should I change my tires and which ones are recommended... FOR WINTER... Dunlops M2 or the other Bridgestone ws50 that tirerack.com recommends?

ksso
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Um, BMW never said the ZHP package was limited. In fact it was just another option when ordering a 330i. Now you can get it with the SMG.
  • Options
    How in the world would you know if BMW NEVER said that the car would be limited production.

This is a direct quote from BMWcenternet which only a BMW dealer can access.
     "On sale Apr '03 Limited numbers planned-With production of the 6-speed beginning in march, 330i sedans with the performance package will begin appearing in US BMW centers in April '03. The package is not offered in markets outside North America. Given the experiences of relatively rare BMW performanc models such as the 2002tii in the seventies, it's not difficult to imagine that a 6-speed 330i with performance package could be a much sought after collector vehicle at some point in the future."
    Now when the terms "limited numbers", "collector vehicle", and "rare" are used than one might say that you are dead wrong. I'll say it. You are dead wrong.
    That wasn't even my point, however. My point was that with all these huge discounts going on that even the Performance Package 330's were not beyond the unusual depreciation that will occur because of these discounts. These cars were probably going for a premium in certain markets like san diego.
  • Options
    They never told consumers it was a limited model - ie set to only sell X number total and never more. Once it was on the market it was listed as an option. I don't care what they talked about prior to releasing the car and in the background with the dealers. Once the ZHP was available it was nothing more than an option. They fed dealers a line that in turn the salespeople would use to shill the car to easy marks.

And the car was certainly not going for a premium in San Diego. I bought my 330i ZHP in San Diego. The car, like all i series in San Diego, was discounted in May and beyond. Which isn't a shock as there's a 325i on every street in this city.

I guess it's just me but I'm under the distinct impression BMW would produce 1 million M3s if they thought 1 million buyers exist for the product. BMW's all about attracting the most sales possible - thus the reason you can get a ZHP with an automatic in 04 models. They saw that people wanted the package but some buyers needed to have the car handle the shifting, so BMW adjust the product and releases it with options for non-manual drivers.

Limited edition isn't in the vocab of BMW in 2003. They're about market share. Heck, they've got the X5 now and that ugly X3 on the way. The 1 series is fast approaching. The bloated, nasty 6 is coming. How much longer before we see a Banglized BMW pick-up or minivan?
  • Options
    at one point there were mad rumours of bmw and honda marrying... wow, what will happen to all the warriors on here if that happens??? but back to my point... if bmw is rolling out so many different cars, and so is honda/acura, atleast we know that marriage is not happening in any forceable future... but never say never... on one hand americans were busy pouring down french wine into gutters and on the other hand nissan/infiniti cars were posting sales records (how nice renault name is so well hidden behind nissan/infiniti's corporate badge, despite the fact that renault design influences show up in every new nissan out there)... but back to my original point, bangalized or not, if the BMW cars keep driving well enough, we'll keep buying them, good, bad or ugly... heck with worsening quality numbers of BMW, we still seem to be buying those for the pleasure of the drive and the perceived "elitist" feeling.. hehe
  • Options
    We haven't even seen the "bangalized" 3 series yet. A lot of clients trade in Nissan products for 'bimmers.
    BMW with Honda would be a sure sign of the apocalypse. Mini and Rolls Royce do nothing in my mind to diminish the brand name. Can the same be said with mercedes along with mitsubishi and chrysler. Are those durango trunk latches on that E and doesn't that dash sort of resemble a galant? Mopar-Benz?
  • Options
    apocalypse?
    When ford bought Jaguar... the predictions were nothing short of apocalyptic.... Both had a history of bad workmanship... guess what, Jaguar actually is rated pretty high in quality of workmanship lately and as a S type owner, i can vouch for good build quality. We have had a good experience, so far with wife's bmw too, no complains there.
    Reminds me of my dad... he would make a point to buy german engineered products, one because he was an engineer himself and two, because in his experience or perception german engineered products lasted for life. He rarely bought anything Japanese... right down to ball point pens.... if he was alive today, he would squirm miserably...
    with all due respect to your years as a bmw seller,i'd just say, suprises happen in this world, a bit too often
  • Options
    Although, this is my twelth year selling cars it's only been a year and half with BMW. I bought a 5 series my first day on the job without knowing a thing about the cars (i.e. rear wheel drive). I started selling toyotas and can appreciate the Japanese products. I drove the Jag at the mid-ohio speedway at the 5 series launch along with a GS lexus and e-class benz. And the 'bimmer definitely ranks first as a driver's car. I'm sort of what I would consider a "peoria car snob" but I'm learning everyday.
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    Have a 2001 325xi. Taking it in for Maintenance
    "Inspection II" tomorrow AM. Car has 29,000 plus miles on it. My service advisor at Erhard BMW in Bloomfield Hills, MI has advised a "wheel alignment". The car does not pull, or shimmy or show any signs of unusual handling characteristics. Is a wheel alignment desirable at 30,000 miles? Should it be done? Or, is my advisor suggesting I spend $199 for the benefit of Erhard BMW? I don't know if this is something that should be done at any mileage mark routinely? Appreciate your input. Thanks.
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    There is no fixed mileage for wheel alignment. In fact if you hit a pothole hard or hit the curb with substantial force during parking, you may need one even with 1,000 miles on your car. If the car doesn't pull on highway, no uneven tire wear and no vibration at high speed, I won't worry about the alignment.
  • Options
    abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    Wouldn't the wheel alignment still be under warranty maintenance with the car still under 30K miles ?
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I agree with rhmass. I'd do wheel alignment when I buy new tires, though.
  • Options
    to abcnyc: Wheel alignment apparently is not part of routine Inspection II Service maintenance or warranty. I think it's a "push" on the part of the dealership.

to rhmass & brave1heart: Thank you for your input. Negative for pull, tire wear or vibration. Good idea, braveheart, to get wheel alignment with new tires. Appreciate the advice. Thank you all again.
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Had a wheel alignment done on my car before it hit 1000 miles. No didn't hit a pothole. It was pulling to one side from the day I bought it and when I saw signs of uneven tire wear I got the alignment done. I was first told that alignment is not covered under warranty and then saw a posting on bimmerfest that it is valid for the first 1200 miles and finally when I got mine done the service adviser said it was valid for the first 3000 miles.
  • Options
    Check your warranty/service manual that says inspection II is due at 60,000 miles. Inspection I is due at 30k and should be covered under your Full Maintenance Warranty.
    Additionally, if a car is pulling upon initial test drive don't buy the car unless it's fixed.
    I would have it taken care of at no charge for my client and wondered why in heck it was ever delivered that way.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Well amid the postings of mergers, limited editions sales and what have you not I wanted to make a comment about the exterior refreshenings for the '04 models.

I was behind a beautiful triple Black '04 325CiC this morning. The LED taillights definitely update the look of the 3ers rear end. I dig them!

The new 5 spoke wheels for the SP equipped models are beautiful! The lady I was following in the convertible had 'em!

The new headlamp treatment modernizes the E46 w/o disturbing the styling too much. You can definitely tell it is an '03 BMW. However it is not like MB or AUdi where the "untrained eye" has trouble telling an A4 & A6 apart or any of the various MB coupe models (CLK, CL).

This 325CiC was moving and seemed to have no trouble gaining speed to upwards of 80 mph. Not to shabby for a 3600lb (w/ Steptronic) car with "only" 184 hp:) Gotta love the Inline 6!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Have you had you transmission issue resolved yet?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    No. I've got a 80-90 mile roundtrip drive to work daily (leave at 6:30 am, home around 6:30 pm) so finding time to dump off the car AND get up to the office is sorta impossible. Once I find another car I can tolerate I'll just drop the bimmer off one night and let them keep it until the car's fixed.

Got locked out of second gear yesterday for a few miles. :) Sorta weird, eh? And my blasted tilting mirror seems to tilt and stay tilted quite often lately. Oh well, that car's a freakin' blast anyway.
  • Options
    you'er BMW dealership in San Diego doesn't provide loaners?

I totally understand leaving early and coming home late. When I bring my car in for service, I use the dealership's night drop and the service manager leaves the keys to a loaner with the receptionist for me (sales floor is open until 8:00PM).

• Options
    I've heard they do. haven't tried. it's not on my list of priorities right now. finding a second car so I can take the train to and from work is more important right now. unfortunately, I keep running into people who are suffering from delusions about the worth of their vehicle or people who freak when I suggest I'd like to take the car to dealer for an inspection. i'm about ready to throw down for a late model used car from a lot just so I can get this over with and so i can stop putting 600 miles a week on my bimmer.
  • Options
    theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    Wow, having just learned what SMG was today and reading a glowing review of it in the 2002 M3 I'm floored to discover that on bmw's website you can build an '04 325i with SMG for $1500! (as long as you get the sports package too.) There's not much info on this board about SMGs - does anyone have any experience with SMG, say from a test drive of the M3 version. I think it sounds great because it could solve the age old dilemma of rush hour driving with a manual.
  • Options
    oh wait, her's is mystic blue, not triple? black...

I personally like the changes made to the 04 convertible... and the 5 spoke SP wheels though not charming and traditional in its BMW-isqueness, they are damn easy to clean on both sides with a good wheel brush.

ksso
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    SMG in the 3-series is different from SMG in M3. Different hardware AND software.
  • Options
    The SMG is amazing, flat out freakin' amazing, in the M3. In the 325.......I don't know. I don't think that anyone has driven them yet as dealers should not have 04's with that option yet. It probably would be more suited for the 330 in my opinion. A scaled down version of the sequential manual gearbox has been available in the roadster and there is probably feedback about that out there somewhere. But, I can tell you that the SMG in the M3 incredible.
  • Options
    Just kidding you... but this is one surefire reason for bmw and honda to marry.... think of what the baby would be if the parents were a bmw 3 and a honda s2000

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/100600/articl- e.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews.graphic.19.*

ksso
  • Options
    ksoman - BMW already makes a car that's the marriage of the 3 series and an S2000. It's called an M3. And it has room for four.
  • Options
    ummm... you missed the point...

and however amazing m3's are, they are not s2000's, and again, i'm not getting into apples and oranges comparisons... because you can't compare a golf glove with a boxing glove...
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    One of the local BMW dealers here in the Portland, OR area has all (15) of their 03 Z4s at $5K off MSRP. I know this discussion is focused on the 3 series but I thought this was an interesting footnote on supply and demand. The same dealer has done $3K off 03 325s also.
  • Options
    Generally, the typical Honda customer is a bit too "cautious" to step UP to a 'bimmer. I like honda's and appreciate other japanese makes also. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting my wife to part with her RAV4.
      Check the F1 standings to see how honda is doing. apples and oranges here again, fellas. The only person driving a more sophisticated transmission than an M3 SMG driver is named Juan Pablo Montoya.
       The current dealer market allowance on a 3.0 Z4 is $5,000. So, that's still a full sticker deal at 5 g's off. That car stands on it's own. Porsche Boxster sales are off about 70% since the introduction of the Bangle Roadster.
       Buying a car cheap is not the trick. It's buying the one that's best for you and the total cost of ownership will reflect any trumped up discount or rebate. Current '03 330 dealer market allowance is 3 g's.
  • Options
    Does that mean the Z4 is taking Boxster sales or that sales are going to other makes? Are Z4 sales up much over 2001/2 Z3 sales?
  • Options
    except we didn't step up into acuras... we went with a bmw and a jag...

despite criticism of bangalism of the z4, i have seen huge number of z4's on the streets... i dont know if they sell less or more than z3... just that the death of the z3/z4, as predicted by bangalism alarmists didn't fruition as expected...

ksso
  • Options
    I have seen quite a few Z4s in the Chicago area for the past couple of months. Most of the drivers appear to be women over the age of 40. I have not seen too many men or women under 40 driving this car. Not sure what that translates to, but it seems that it may be purchased as more of a status symbol than a driver's car. I have seen only one with a manual transmission (out of maybe 10 that were parked).

It's just my opinion, but true Bimmerphiles seem to be steering away from this car perhaps due to the design. The car handles MUCH better than the Z3 due to the updated chassis, but it is harder to look at than the Z3.
  • Options
    to bmwseller: Sorry. I stand corrected. you are absolutely right. It was Inspection #1 @ 29K plus miles. There was no charge for the "maintenance program" as you stated. And, I got loaner and a chance to drive a 325i with a couple of thousand miles on it. Nice mover. Really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    I'm glad that everything went smoothly for the inspection 1. Full Maintenance on the 'bimmer is nice. That warranty pays for scheduled maintenance AND unscheduled maintenance (i.e. brake pads, windshield wipers). Don't try that in a Mercedes or Lexus.
  • Options
    Guys get the 3.0 with 6-speed manual. Black or silver, maybe sterliing gray. Professionals that are 40 to 55 years old. Guys that probably grew up on muscle car like corvettes. For a good # of them it might even be their first BMW.

Gals go with the 2.5 and an automatic. Red or white, maybe silver. Usually have had 'bimmers before but not necessarily. Probably have had convertible before and might even be trading in a Z3 or Miata.

By the way, how can you tell if a Z4 is a manual transmission is driving by?
  • Options
    but seems like everybody is driving it, so there's no individuality left... and something similar holds true with the 3... oh well... they call it inclusive eliticism... oh wait.. i'm part of the game... haha

anyone notice the article in ny times a day or two ago talking about how high end brands are cutting into the middle and upper middle class volumes??

ksso
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    ddblue & bmwseller... My neighbor bought her Z4 a few months ago she loves it. Silver exterior. Automatic. 2.5L I6. Non-Sport. She is a professional, a bit over 40, married, with 2 kids. Her treat to self. Their 3rd car. Her other vehicle is a Honda Odyssey minivan.
  • Options
    phauolphauol Member Posts: 24
    My 2003 X5 front tire sidewall has a dime size puncture on the driver side after 6000 miles. It is a little bit odd as I can't remember I have touched anything and it is also unusal to happen on the driver side. I called the dealer and asked if it can be covered under warranty as defect from manufacturer and they don't think so. The tire is still so new and I have put on another 100 miles without any problem. Do you think I should change it?
  • Options
    Punctures can happen unnoticed anywhere... I am not sure the originals come with hazard warranty, but a dime size for that rubber is huge... I dont see a point of keeping potentially unsafe tires on a vehicle, specially a 4 wheel drive. If for nothing else, I'd change tires for peace of mind, in pairs..
  • Options
    the one out of ten that I saw parked (see my parenthetical).
  • Options
    p9ap9a Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2004 325xi with 5-speed, moonroof and harman-kardon.

Invoice price - 29315(27050+695+955+615)

The best offer I got so far - 30,750. (including mats etc) - Is this a good deal?

The dealer said that in addition to invoice, he has to pay training, mktg etc whic is another 500.

Thanks.
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2001 BMW 330xi with approximately 19,000 miles. I have had the oil changed once, at approximately 14,000 miles. Prior to changing the oil, the yellow oil indicator lamp would come on when I turned off the engine. My service advisor indicated that it probably was just a little low, and they added some oil.

This now is happening again, after only about 4,000 miles. The advisor once again has said to just bring it in. He said that they tend to use oil somewhat early on in their life.

I've never had this problem with any other car. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    phauolphauol Member Posts: 24
    for your comment, I think so too. But the tire is still considered as new and though the puncture is dime size, the hole is not exposed and some rubber is still protecting the tire, do anyone think that I should still keep it for a while? Thanks...
  • Options
    unboringguy - I don't believe it's out of the realm of possibility for a car that has a higher performance threshold than other cars to use some oil every 4,000 miles. Where most other manufacturers recommend you bring the car every 3,500 miles 8 oz of oil every 4,000 miles doesn't seem excessive at all.