Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    As many 3ers as I see here in NYC, I still think they're all handsome looking cars. I've never seen a 330Ci that I haven't liked. They are just downright beautiful cars (in my mind).

Yesterday I saw an '04 That was Silver Gray w/Black Interior (No PP), SP, & 6 Speed Manual. Beautiful looking color combo. I've never seen the coupe in that color. The titanium accents w/ the Black interior look sharp for anybody who decides to go sans Premium Package.

Last night I saw a Black/Black 330Ci w/ the optional Style #71 18" wheels. Now I know that the 18's will ride a little rougher than the regular 17" SP wheels, they add unsprung weight, and with the condition of our pothole covered, busted up, beloved NYC roads I have no business driving a car with 40 sidewalls in the front and 35s in ther back (YIKES!), but the wheels really give the car an even more striking and aggressive look. With the new headlight treatment the 18" wheels make the car look almost like a 2 Door E39 M5.

Just one man's opinion!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    somedaysomeday Member Posts: 14
    Hello all,

I have recently seen two silver 330i's in sf bay area with their black trim replaced with silver body trim all around the car. I think it was more than just the black painted over with silver. It made the silver car even more striking. I am wondering if anyone on this board has had it done and what it cost.

thanks
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    My snows are going on Thanksgiving weekend (Boston).
  • Options
    motenor1motenor1 Member Posts: 35
    Just got back from the dealer in Berkeley CA and they have one recently-arrived 04 325i sedan SULEV? Dealer said that SULEVs are only made in steptronic. Is this true? Are they more expensive than non-SULEVs?
  • Options
    bruce330ibruce330i Member Posts: 5
    Live in Minnesota and heading towards my first winter with the 2003 330i w/Sport pkg. Plan on ordering a dedicated set of winter tires and rims from Tirerack, and would like to order same size as what's currently on the car (front: 2245/45, rear: 245/40). A lot of the tire sales people recommend going to a more narrow tire for winter use. I plan on getting the Blizzak LM-22.

I like the look the car has with the wider tire, and I can live with the increased cost with the bigger tire and rim.

Has anyone else done this, and with what type of results?
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Having spent some time in Minn during the winter, I would lean towards better snow/ice traction. As you probably know, you are better off with a narrow tire. You get better traction in the slick stuff, less surface area to hydroplane in standing water, and they cut through deep snow better. A narrow winter tire may not look as good as stock but I like to avoid bodyshops as much as possible so I can live with it.
  • Options
    hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I went with the 15" wheels and LM-22s for my 330i. The car handled fabulously in Chicago's winter. I know that wasn't your exact question, but I can tell you that on dry pavement, the difference in ride was relatively unnoticable (as far as Winter driving goes).
  • Options
    rpadillarpadilla Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2001 330i with the SP, and I bought Michelin Alpin Sports at 225/45 all the way around (the wider snows were not available for the back). They fit the rear rims fine, although the lip of the rim hung out a bit more. I know that you are supposed to have narrower tires to get through the snow better, but I haven't had any problems with that setup. I don't know if the Blizzak LM22s are available in the wider rear rim size, but, my guess is that they are not.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    hgeyer - 15" wheels on a 330i? Are you sure? I've only ever heard of one 16" wheel that fits over the disks on 330's (sold by TireRack)

bruce - I put 225's all the way around on my 330Ci... Dunlop Wintersports. They handle very well when the road is dry. In the snow, however, I often wished I had gone with a narrower tire. They weren't necessarily bad (I never got stuck or ended up in a ditch or anything), but I never felt they were getting the bite that a 205 would have gotten.
  • Options
    fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    I have the same question as mxpro738. Will the winter tires wear more quickly? It seems reasonable to assume that they would, considering the softer compound rubber. I have 40 mile commute and am concerned I will wear the tires out on the highway...cost/benefit decision between having the security of winter tires but potentially incurring more frequent replacement of winter tires. I have a 2003 330xi, which also is a consideration...do I really need the snows?

Haven't been to this board in awhile...forgot what I was missing. Great information and a good bit of "banter". Interested to learn your opinions on the winter tires. Thanks.
  • Options
    My snows lasted 2 winter seasons, and I live in a area where 40 miles of driving is light in any given day. I actually sold them to my dentist as I went to ultra-high performance all-seasons (Michelin Pilot Sports A/S) once my summer tires wore out, and they were in excellent condition. Since you will only have them on for 4-5 months a year, I wouldn't worry about treadwear until about the 3rd season, especially if you doing a lot of highway driving.
  • Options
    My commute is 42 miles each way. I'm hoping to get 3 seasons out of mine. At the end of the 3rd winter, I'll probably just leave them on until I hit the wear bars. The 3 seasons is only a guess, though, since most (all?) winter tires are made with dual compounds and when the 1st, softer one is worn off, they lose much of their effectiveness. I have no idea how long that takes.

As for "do I really need the snows?"... probably not. I've made it through a couple dozen winters without them in various front-wheel drive cars. If your car was RWD, I'd say definitely get them. By getting winter tires, however, you would transform acceptable into awesome. A good friend of mine, with an A4 quattro, never used winter tires until they sold his wifes Passat. Since he had a set laying around (already mounted on wheels that fit his car) he decided to give them a shot. He claims he will never go through a winter again without them.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    If I had all wheel drive, I wouldn't bother with winter tires. (I do have it, and I don't bother)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Good luck.
  • Options
    bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    Our first 2004 325 sedan arrived last night.
  • Options
    wrjohnsonpghpawrjohnsonpghpa Member Posts: 53
    Does anybody know of any problems that I'd have if, when my original all season Conti's wear out, I bought a set of double spoke composite 17" wheels (i.e., no. 71s) that I'd outfit with a higher performance summer tire?

I'd then plan to put snow tires on my original star spoke (no. 45) 16" wheels. I have a 2002 325i without the sport package/suspension.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    As long as your new wheels have the proper offset and the tires have the same OD as the OEM tires you should be fine. The Tire Rack site has a very helpful wheel/tire comparison/fitment page. Check it out. Remember that the reduced sidewall height of the 17" tires will likely translate into increased ride harshness as well as a greater propensity for bent wheels. FWIW, if your purpose for going with a Plus One setup is to improve the performance of your 3er your money would be much better spent on several BMW CCA Drivers Schools.
  • Options
    gone2vegasgone2vegas Member Posts: 3
    I live in the Boston area and I'm considering purchasing a 2001 325i. My only concern is how does this rear wheel drive car perform in winter driving conditions? I realize I would have to put on some snow tires and I don't want to purchase the 325xi. Mind you, I'm used to driving front wheel and 4 x 4 vehicles. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Is there any potential problem with having tires that outperform the non-sport suspension, as in wr's case? I would imagine if there is a problem it would only be at the limits of handling, but what if he decided to start doing some autoX or driving schools?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Excellent point; I agree that any problems would likely be encountered at the edges of the handling envelope. I also remember a late '70s Car and Driver comparison test between an E12 528i and another 5er that had been fitted with an Alpina suspension as well as Plus One tires and wheels. C&D then fitted the Alpina tires and wheels to the stocker. The stocker was then able to post lateral g, slalom, and braking numbers that were extremely close to those of the full-tilt Alpina sled. Of course the Bimmers of 25 years ago had no "Sport" options so the stock suspension tuning was much more aggressive than the softer non-Sport cars of today.
  • Options
    mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    My 02 330i is making a rubbing sound mainly the first mile or 2 , sounds like the right front. Also a clicking/ ticking noise when making sharp right turns. Been to dealer twice and they cannot consistently hear it. They changed the tire with my spare and stated it resolved , but did not. Any thoughts to steer them in the right direction.
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    You will be fine in winter with your 325i
    equipped with a set of good snow tires such as Arctic Alpin. We have never got stuck in a RWD 3 series so equipped for previous winters in Boston area.
  • Options
    Most likely lower control arms. I had the exact same creaking and this is a common problem with the E46. I hope your car is still under warranty. Mine was just out of warranty and the repair was ~ $800 but it took care of the problem.
  • Options
    mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for the advice. Yes I am under warranty, 17k miles/ 22 months old. Unfortunately I need a loaner as this is my only car and my dealer needs about 3 weeks notice to get one, and all you get is a rental from enterprise. Last time I got a Mitsubishi Mirage with 50K miles, smelled like the last driver smoked a carton of Marlboro in it and the oil light was lit all day. Some "free loaner" they promised when I purchased the vehicle ....
  • Options
    My $800-loaner was a VW Eurovan shuttle bus :o) I understand how incovenient that can be but the key thing is to get the dealer to replace the lower control arms.
  • Options
    with bravehart... dont make the fear of a loaner keep you away from what's more important...

and just for the record, my wife called me and said we had our first "issue" with her bmw... something behind the right rear passenger headrest is making a nasty nasty squeaking noise, to a point where she was ready to scream just to keep from having to hear that noise......

heh
  • Options
    gcole1717gcole1717 Member Posts: 2
    I have been the very happy owner of a 1988 BMW 325 (2-door) but, now that it's time to give it to my nephew, I'm trying to determine whether I should get the SP for my soon to be purchased 325 sedan (4-door, stick). Was the ride/handling in the older 325's more like the current SP's handling or should I stick with the standard package? I know I should go out and drive them both in order to figure this out (and will soon) but I am curious what others think. Also, do the other features in the SP make it worth going for?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    gcole1717... Get the Sport Pkg. Only way to go. BMW should make it standard for all their cars.
  • Options
    the sport package on the sedan is a must. But, keep in mind, that if you live in a snow state, you will probably have to get a set of snow tires, and possibly another set of rims to mount them on. I have a 2001 330i WITH the sport package, and I don't regret making that decision.
  • Options
    The sport package may make life very difficult in some parts of the country with broken road surfaces... considering all said and done, that's where our daily commute is.

Purely for its value, SP is a big WOW. I noticed you had a 88 325... you might want to step up to a 330, cars have gotten heavier, you won't get the same power/weight ratio with a newer 325... though personally we are satisfied with the 2.5's power

ksso
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    especially for you because you are moving from a 88 325. I think the 325 with SP will be close to the feel of your old car. I feel that BMW has softened the suspension in order to have a broader audience. When I test drove a 2003 325, it was not close to the 1994 325 I was used to.
  • Options
    silvergray330isilvergray330i Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my brand new 2004 330i.

Silver gray with black leather is a very striking color combination.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Congrats on your 330. Here are a few virtual coins for the front seat for good luck. (If your car is like mine you won't need it.)
  • Options
    bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    I don't know one driver who doesn't like there 330. congratulations!
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I've seen several "programming" options mentioned on this board for things that the service dept. can set up for you, such as whether the lights flash or not when locking, etc. Is there a full list of these options posted somewhere? I'd like to know in advance what settings are possible so that I can hand the service dept. a list of requests before taking delivery on my car.
  • Options
    refer to bmwusa.com, they had a comprehensive list. If not ask your sales person, they have a complete printed list..
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    TO: brave1heart - what type of snow tires do U have on your 325i?
    To the general audience: I have a 2001 325xi. I have 205/55R16 ContiTouringContact CH95 4 Rib, 91H rated tires on the car now. Have been happy with the comfortable ride, year round traction I've had. Is there a more desirable "all-season" tire that I should consider? Thanks.
  • Options
    buffagmbuffagm Member Posts: 21
    Maybe someone here can help...

Tomorrow I am taking in my '03 330i with 9k miles to the dealer to check out a slighty squealing clutch and a rattling passenger side speaker. Since I've had the car for <1 year, I can't have them perform the 1 year service yet and I have already had the oil changed at 6k. My question is, is there any thing else that I have them check out? Maybe problems you have encountered that I might have missed? Perhaps have them rotate the tires right to left? Thanks for any replies.
  • Options
    BMW doesn't recommend any tire rotations. Some owners do a standard front->rear rotation to even out tire wear (when they do not have staggered tire sizes) but I don't think anyone has recommended a left->right rotation on any vehicle since radial tires came into existance.
  • Options
    I recently purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and I love them! I have a '01 330i, PP, SP, blah blah blah, and I decided to go with these tires instead of the snows (which were Michelin Alpin Sports, BTW), and I think they are a great set of tires. Of course, I don't get the same "grip-tion" as the OEM ContiSports I had, AND, the Michelin PS A/S are kind of pricey, but, you just can't go wrong with a set of Michelins. Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    scipio1scipio1 Member Posts: 142
    When my cars were in for various maintenance visits at Rusnak (btw, they are now my favorite service dealer, love em), I got a Porsche Boxster (tiptronic) as my Enterprise loaner. Well, I paid $50 extra for it, but I figured it was money well spent.

The funny thing is, coming from the M3 cabrio, I felt the Boxster was a little underpowered. Just not that exhilerating, unfortunately. I think that, if I were to buy one, I'd have to get the Boxster S to be happy with it. However, that exhaust note is head-and-shoulders better than the M3's. If you override the automatic, keeping the Boxster at high revs can be quite fun. brrrrrrRRRRRRRR

:)
  • Options
    Kominsky, you are right except it has to do with what's called directional tread patterns, not that they are radial...

Aldubya,
    Dunlop Winter sport M2 seem to be the favorites on this board.

ksso
  • Options
    dpsladedpslade Member Posts: 1
    got a 2003 330i with the performance package...best car ever! Looking to add a passenger side visor DVD player for my wife to watch movies (we drive long distances)....anyone know anything about this? curious as to: what it costs? where does the actual DVD player mount? Is there someplace in the NY/NJ area that does this?

thanx!
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I doubt you'll find anything from BMW for that. :)

You may want to check Crutchfield's web site. I just got a catalog from them and they might be able to do something, but in the visor, I'm not sure about. headrest, yes, visor, no clue.

-Paul
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Looking to buy a radar detector. Any recommendations. I have never had one so any advice on what features to look for would be helpful. thx.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try using the Search This Discussion box on the page bar. There was a lot of conversation about radar detectors here a while back - probably in several different groups of messages.
  • Options
    mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    V1, of course. Hard wired.
  • Options
    hard wired or not. Unequivocally the best radar detector I have ever owned.
  • Options
    mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I have an &#146;02 325i and an iPod that I would like to plug directly into my stereo rather than use an FM transceiver.

I&#146;ve read that the &#146;03 & &#146;04 models have an auxiliary input for this purpose. Could someone give me some details on the aux input and whether there is any hardware I could purchase (from BMW or others) to plug in my iPod.

-murray
  • Options
    michaelm77michaelm77 Member Posts: 2
    Any opinions re- 2003 vs 2004 330i? I have an opportunity to take a 2003 SP, PremP, Auto, CD changer at $800 over invoice. Don't know if I could get the same deal on an '04, but should I try? Or go with the '03?