Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    Thanks. I had asked my salesman, and was told that they could not add the PDC after they received the car, but I'm beginning to realize how little salesman sometimes know.

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    First...Costco sells gas?

Anyway, I was strolling throught the lot of a BMW dealership this afternoon becfause I had some time to kill before a dentist appointment (Yes I know I'm a loser:) What originally drew me in was the Imola Red 330CiC ZHP, wow! So after I wiped the drool from my lips, I proceeded to check out some of the beautiful 325Ci SP coupes on the lot.

Now I always think of the 325Ci as my next car unless some unforseen circumstances arise, like I win the lottery or get a huge pay raise (last time I asked my Dad for a raise, he sent me to work upstairs). The car would be lightly optioned out for me with just SP, hot seats, Xenon, and metallic paint (which I know I'd have to order). The 325Cis (plural) I saw on the lot all had MSRPs hovering right below the $40K mark with every option except NAV! For that kind of dough I'll take a lightly optioned 330Ci thank you very much. I guess people don't know!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    add a moonroof to the aforementioned 325Ci above:)-

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "...and realized that I couldn't see the rear end of the car."

My bro who got his '02 325xi through Euro delivery program had the same problem. So I told him to add a little marker antenna(some even claims having anti-static feature) at the right-rear end of the trunk lid, from those fancy Japanese car accessory store, or a factory rear spoiler can do.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    scottlp... Check out the latest BMW Accessory Catalog. They used to sell PDC system.
  • Options
    todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    Greetings everyone, I am pondering the purchase of a 2002 330ci convertible with approx. 18,500 miles on it. It is equiped with premium package, sport package, xenon lights and harmon kardon and possibly more that I am not aware of. It is in excellent contion and I know the current owner, so I know that it has been well cared for and well-maintained. No wrecks and it has never been in the shop for anything other than maintenance. My questions are as follows: (1) Was 2002 a good year for the 3 series convertible? (2) Is there anything I should pay especially close attention to while inspecting/driving the vehicle? Also, the vehicle is currently on lease, which is due to expire in a few months, at which time the lessee (my acquaintance) will assign me his right to purchase the vehicle at lease end for approx. $28-29k. Does this sound like a good deal? Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated....
  • Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Corner markers on a BMW? What's next -- curb feelers??
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    that "anti-static" 4-5"-long marker I got for my Corolla's trunk corner looks pretty factory-ish like a short black antenna. It was about $20, & not just a quick solution, but mounts w/o glue or damage to the paint.

& it works even better than the rear spoiler b/c you can't really tell where exactly the right corner of the spoiler ends.
  • Options
    ss2u2ss2u2 Member Posts: 17
    Todd53, For what it's worth...I have a 330cic, 23k/sp/pp/xenon/heated seats/slushbox, june 02' build. Only non-scheduled maintenance-replace wheel well liner(hit parking barrier), replace secondary oxygen sensor, check tran-software patch fixed steptronic hesitation. The car runs fine and is great fun to drive. Convertible top insulation is fine for sound and heat(Chicago winters). Check tires, my rears (contis) have 5k left, fronts 10k. You also may need winter tires, depending on where you live. Mine does very well with 4 snows. Since you know the owner and checking the Edmunds emv,IMHO that is a very good price. hope this helps!
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    You are right about the engine noise. I might have had my expectations a little too high as well. Also, intakes seem to make a bigger difference in low RPMs and the Shark is more capable in mid-range and above. Because of that, it is probably easier to feel the CAI difference on a first somewhat limited drive.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    the way they save money on the gas is by putting "fillers" and diluting the gasoline with ionized water.

Do not use Costco gas, you could damage your engine!
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Most states have laws that control gas quality. Why would a company like Costco risks lawsuits over gas? I have used Costco gas off an on for several years. None of my engines were damaged. I used to tow a trailer checking in at 5500 Lbs over a pretty good mountain range on Costco gas.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Do not use Costco gas, you could damage your engine!

ROFL. Yeah, and if you let a baby sleep in a house with a cat it will suffocate the child.

What other great urban legends can we pull out?

Don't ever blink your lights at a car driving without lights on! It's a trap that gangbangers use to determine who to kill as an initiation.
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    LOL. Right up there with exploding cell phones at gas stations.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blsharkattack.htm
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Though most phones won't explode at the gas station, electric devices capable of static are still a necessary risk if a minor one in gas stations. (.0001% risk)... that's lower than crossing a street.

ok costco gas, i've a theory about costco gas, i've filled it up and never had trouble, BUT:
    consider this, you can only use Costco or AMEX or ATM/Debit cards to buy Costco Gas. That straight gives them about a 5-8 cent advantage due to the underlying CC processing charge agreements that Costco has with AMEX. Given that on any day, costco gas is about 8-10 cents cheaper than the nearest average gas station (not the most expensive one in town, there are always some jokers), that essentially means, Costco earns the same $/gallon as any other gas company for the gas I buy, they are basically getting no discount for their bulk purchase, they are only getting a CC processing discount that they pass on to me... .kinda lame
  • Options
    seems like the car is learning the moonscape, its growing lesser noisy... or maybe its the warming weather and the wet april that is causing the wet atmosphere to lubricate the creaky joints????

hahahaa
  • Options
    Costco earns the same $/gallon as any other gas company for the gas I buy, they are basically getting no discount for their bulk purchase, they are only getting a CC processing discount that they pass on to me... .kinda lame

That's lame? I'd think you as a consumer would be happy a corporation is passing on ANY savings to you.
  • Options
    true, but the general assumption the people make is "bulk buying" is what gives you the savings at costco...
  • Options
    Those people who still warehouse equal bulk buying may not be shopping there much. I have a costco and sam's right near my house. I stop into both for little everyday items all the time - a salmon to grill up for the night, fresh veggies, a gallon of milk, etc.
  • Options
    jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    I check into the BMW site almost day and I am amazed at the totally useless discussion/comments which people are having on this forum. This is supposed to be about BMW 3 series; not cheap Costco gas etc. Stick to comments about BMW. If you want to discuss cheap gas then go to a cheap gas forum, do not waste time for people that are genuinely interested in hearing about real BMW issues.

FYI...I have had my BMW 325i for 1 year and am just loving it. Best car I have ever had. It's not perfect but then what is. My 2 cents (Canadian) worth.
  • Options
    What does bulk buying gas have to do with the BMW forum. If you can afford to buy a Bimmer, then you can afford to pay for the gas. If not, then buy a Ford Focus. People who own BMW's are not generally interested in cheap gas or shopping at Costco. I know I would'nt be caught dead at a Price Club or Costco Gas station; not that we have any in Canada yet. (thank God).
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I would never put cheap costco gas in my bmw . . . it is not done . . . simply not done.
  • Options
    eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    I just got the car with premium and M sport package with SMG (only has about 70km or 50 miles on it). I was driving with SMG in drive mode and sport mode turn off, when I put on the brake going down a hill, the instrument panel briefly had all the indicator lights on for about half second, then when the car came to a full stop I noticed the SMG is in the manual shifting mode. Does anyone had a similar problem? Should I bring it in to BMW for a check?
  • Options
    What does bulk buying gas have to do with the BMW forum.

Who mentioned bulk buying of gas?

If you can afford to buy a Bimmer, then you can afford to pay for the gas. If not, then buy a Ford Focus. People who own BMW's are not generally interested in cheap gas or shopping at Costco.

That's a plain ignorant statement. I see people who buy BMWs and then put regular gas in the car, so obviously the price of gas is important. Additionally, many people who appreciate and can afford the finer things in life often are the best with money. It's silly to say that a BMW buyer shouldn't purchase his gas from Costco. I can pay 2.41 a gallon at the local Arco/Exxon for premium unleaded for my ZHP or I can go to Costco, which is not out of my way and save $2-3 a fillup.

I know I would'nt be caught dead at a Price Club or Costco Gas station; not that we have any in Canada yet. (thank God).

Gosh, I wish I had read this earlier. Then I could have told the guy filling up his M5 behind me this week that some dude who owns a 325i thinks it's beneath BMW owners to buy gas from Costco.

Is it beneath a BMW buyer to haggle the price below invoice and then whip out the BMC CCA discount too?

Maybe you bought the car for what's on the hood. to each his own.

And your rant did add something to the BMW discussion - the kind of snobbery that gets BMW drivers a bad name.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "If you can afford to buy a Bimmer, then you can afford to pay for the gas. If not, then buy a Ford Focus. People who own BMW's are not generally interested in cheap gas or shopping at Costco."

I buy gas at WAWA. And so do people with $120K cars.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like you had some sort of electronics glitch that was sort of like getting a power-hit on your PC -- it caused the systems to "reboot". I doubt that it is related to the SMG system, but the processor that controls the SMG might have reset and returned to a default mode or something.

In any case this is NOT good. If it happened once, you can count on it happening again IMO. But it might not be easy to find the problem unless some sort of fault code happened to be stored.

This is one of my biggest fears about the electronicization of late-model cars: difficult-to-find gremlins in the works.
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    "If you can afford to buy a Bimmer, then you can afford to pay for the gas. If not, then buy a Ford Focus."

Hmmm, maybe you should've said a Mazda Tribute instead of a Ford Focus - but then you'd be dogging your roots. It's a telltale sign of those who finally can somehow afford a nice car all of the sudden want others to think they are Daddy Warbucks and immediately start judging others based upon material assets.....so sad.

I believe this is where BMW has developed the snobby stigma. Those with money actually aren't the snobs and could care less about what others are driving; they buy for what they like. Unfortunately there are a few that can squeak into a 3er or even other models, and immediately gauge self-importance on what you drive, what you wear, where you shop etc...the american nouveau riche

I realize that many may disagree with my opinions and I welcome any criticism - I am open to debate. I think this is a very relevant topic considering the amount of snobbery associated with a BMW badge. I apologize to jchandra for using you as a scapegoat here but your remarks were an extremely good intro into the topic.

take care
    frank
  • Options
    All I was saying in my comments if you cared to read the whole statement was to keep the discussion about the BMW 3 series and not wander all over the place and discuss price of gas and snob appeal etc. I like to have an intelligent discussion on things that matter.

At least my comments generated some good replies and that's what I was aiming for. Some how I had assumed that BMW owners were a bit more intelligent and informed about real issues and not argue over what and where you buy gas.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmm, I think maybe all assumptions are kinda dangerous and not necessary -- whether we are assuming BMW owners are snobs, or assuming they have some level of intelligence, or buy whatever price of gas or whatever.

Why don't we just talk about the cars and leave all these generalizations behind?
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly! Lets discuss real issues and leave personal opinions to ourselves.
  • Options
    "My thoughts exactly! Lets discuss real issues and leave personal opinions to ourselves."

Actually we pretty much stay on topic, without people, ceptin' the hosts, being hall monitors. You're more than welcome not to comment when you find a post that doesn't appeal to you. :)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    DITTO

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, anyone want to get back to talking about the car?

:-)
  • Options
    jopajopa Member Posts: 2
    i am considering buying a new M3, but how does it stack up to a 911 coupe or even a clk500?
  • Options
    jopajopa Member Posts: 2
    i do know that the m3 is much more affordable (even with tons of upgrades), and I will use it as a weekend car, but is there anything else that I need to consider? wear and tear...ride comfort...etc?
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I was in the market for an M3 at certain point, but ended up with a ZHP with no regrets. It's now coming on coupe and cic versions. It has a better ride than the M3. The M3's ride is harsher than on the Benz, I don't know compared to the Porsche (you would have to to test drive it); however, I've been reading on several boards that the Mercedes' reliability has declined. A Benz out of warranty is turning out to be an expensive proposition. I think the 911 is the dark horse although its rather pricey.
  • Options
    Actually Blue is right on bull's eye on his comments. If you are wiser with your money, you'd be driving two nice fancy cars instead of just one...
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Given the price of today's gas, especially in California, the question of economics does beg some consideration.

Does buying the higher grade gas (regardless of vendor) really save you in the long run with better mileage and cleaner engines? I suspect the answer is yes.

But consider that Europe has the 3 Series in DIESEL. These engines have a lot of torque and power, and generally get significantly better mileage than the gas-powered brethren that we have to drive.

Jeep is bringing its diesel Liberty here next year. Do you think BMW should start bringing its diesel 3er's over here?

As for where you buy gas, I have a 325xi. Yes it is more entry level for BMW's, and it is no ZHP or M by any stretch. Am I cheap? I don't think so. My wife sure doesn't think so. But we were thoughtful in our choice even though we could have gone with a 3.0l.

We have purchased basic cruddy regular at a no-name place, high grade at Costco and Sam's. Even at Costco and Sam's, we've had no problems. The problems seem to be using the lower grade - slower acceleration, lower mileage. So it is worth it to put in higher grade, regardless of where you fill (for the most part).

-Paul
  • Options
    I really don't think it's a good idea to run regular in your E46 except in an emergency where that's all you can get. Yes, the engine control will retard the spark and valve timing so that the engine doesn't knock (which is also why your power goes down), but it is not good for it in the long run. It makes it run hotter and keeps it running in a mode that is only supposed to be temporary.
  • Options
    Anyone ever seen any sort of cover or whatever that would fit over those ugly cupholders? I don't plan on using them except on very rare occasions, and they certainly look like dirt magnets -- especially with the sand-colored interior.
  • Options
    Check out the ZM3 Turbo M coupe videos.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/video/default.cfm
  • Options
    You can order a replacement insert that creates a cubby hole of sorts with a retractable top. A friend of mine has it in his 325i. Personally, I like the cupholders more and they're not "dirt magnets". But then again my car is cleaned often.
  • Options
    When I went to the dealer yesterday (Erhard BMW, Bloomfield Hills, MI) to pick up the 325i that I had ordered 8 weeks ago, my wife had not been to the dealership before so she came in with me to take a look at the cars in the showroom. Right in the center of the showroom was a Steel Blue/Sand 325i just like mine, so we started looking at it. "Hey, it has the sport seats like mine", "Hey, it has a manual tranny". "Hey, this IS my car!!".

So is that cool or what? After filling out the paperwork and signing the (big) check, they opened their main doors and I drove my new Bimmer right off the showroom floor! I think they made a lifetime customer with service like that :-).
  • Options
    muzzy325imuzzy325i Member Posts: 19
    I ordered an 04 330i (on 2/17)(SMG, Sport, NAV, Silver Gray) to replace my 01 325i (5 speed). It arrived at the NJ prep center on 4/6/04. It was scheduled for delivery to my BMW Center for 4/11. I have been calling gettig the run around from my sales guy, first he said that it was just waiting to be picked up by a truck, then he said that it was on Maintainence Hold for a defective part in the BMW assist set-up (I don't even have that option on my Car). I think I'm getting jerked around, can I call BMW myself and get the real story.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    That is very cool.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Nice touch. My sales rep did the same for us except they backed the car out of the showroom themselves. Also, my salesperson gave us the following without even asking:

1) 2 BMW keychains
    2) 1 kid size BMW for my 2 yr old (retails at $100)

ofcourse the floor mats were free and included in the price of the car (I cannot believe that people think that they have to negotiate for this).

Too bad the salesperson left because she would definately get my repeat business.
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    My dealer did the same thing. There were 2 M3s, 1 Z8 and my 325i on the showroom floor. I spent 10 minutes looking at the Ms and the Z before I even noticed my car. But that gesture definitely impresses the customer.
  • Options
    jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    can anyone with a 325 tell me what they are getting for gas mileage. i have a 2003 325 manual and get 17mpg city if i'm lucky. shifting around 4k. i'm not using the computer but rather taking total mileage/gallons. i'm not really concerned i just think that bmw's est of 20mpg can only be obtained if you drive very conservatively
  • Options
    muzzy325imuzzy325i Member Posts: 19
    I consistently get around 23-24MPG in my 01 325 manual. That is a mix of city/highway. It is not hard driving but also not babying the car. I do get considerably less MPG when its cold out (Chicago Winter). I have put 70K on my car in 3 years and this is what I have seen over the life of the car so far.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I get 22mpg as a long-term average and this is mostly city/highway at 60/40. On pure highway driving, I get close to 35mpg even though I take the speed way up there. Unbelievable!!