Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I installed my own CD changer this weekend, which cost about $380 total and took less than an hour. The '04s come with all the brackets and other pieces in the trunk already installed; the only thing you need from the dealer is a pair of L-brackets that cost about $12.

The CD unit that I went with is the Alpine CHA-S634, which mounts perfectly in the intended place (Alpine makes BMW's changer units). The big difference between this unit and the one that BMW sells is that it also plays MP3 CDs -- you could probably put 100 songs on a single CD. It is compatible with CD-R and CD-R/W discs, multisession, etc.

Of course, the radio doesn't know anything about MP3s, so it just shows the track number instead of the song name or anything. I'm not sure what happens if you go past track 99 :-). MP3 is not up to regular CD audio quality, but in a car I don't think most people would notice.
  • Options
    muzzy325imuzzy325i Member Posts: 19
    The bad news is, on Saturday I had to get rid of my 01 325i (5 Speed). It was my first BMW and I loved it.

The good news is that I my 04 330i, SMG, Sport Package, Nav, Silver Gray, Black ette, that I ordered on 2/17 was ready to be picked up!!!!
    I'm trying to go easy on it right now, but comapred to my 325, this car is tigher, the steering is not overboosted and the added power os 3L is awesome!!!! I have noticed a nice difference between the feel of the letherette on my 330 compared to my 325. I don't know if it is the Sports seats ( a must have) or they changed them slightly over the years, but I noticed that the texture is a bit more soft and tacky but the seat are still firm and very comforatble. I'm still getting used to the SMG, but it is a great alernative to a auto, I wanted the ZHP but the wife did not want the 3rd pedal. The SMG can shift faster than I could and does the REV matching on the downshifts, which is very nice. I have not tried the Sport mode yet, but I will .... I will post some reviews once I have driven it a bit more.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    What kind of ramps do you use to raise the car so that the front bumper won't scrape? I found a set of Rhino ramps for $30 at Auto Zone, which leaves ~ 1" of space from the front skirt and it works great for my car. Because its slope is not very steep, though, it raises the car by 6 1/2inches while regular ramps would raise it by 8-9 inches (assuming you could drive on them) and they would give you more room to work under the car.

My car is a 325i with the sport package.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,432
    Wouldn't a couple of 2 X 12s laid crossways in front of regular ramps (extending 24" out in front of ramps) give you enough of a boost for your front lip to clear it?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Warped rotor – there is NO WAY that a car with only a few thousand miles on it that has never seen track use or even autocrossing would have warped rotors. It’s hard to warp the rotors even on the track! New brakes need to be bedded-in and what probably happened is that your car’s brakes were never really broken in properly and the pads left uneven deposits on the rotors. This usually results in slight vibrations under braking. Ask me how I know ;o) Here are instructions from a reliable website that helped to almost eliminate the squeal from my Hawk HP Plus street/track pads and improved the pedal feel. Use your common sense with these directions – I am not a lawyer.

The procedure is:
    - 60-45 mph gentle braking ~ 5 times in a row to warm up the brakes
    - 60-10 mph hard braking without coming to a complete stop ~ 8 times in a row to deposit consistent pad material onto the rotors
    - drive around using the brakes as least as possible for 10 min to cool them off.

leatherette seats – The longest trip I’ve done in my ’01 325i SP with leatherette seats is Boston – Mont-Tremblant (1-hr NW of Montreal). That was 7+ hours. At the end of a two-day driving school, I drove to Albany (4 ½ hrs) and had no back pain at all. That said, seat comfort is very subjective and the sport leatherette seats may not work for you. One thing that is not subjective, though, is that the manual seats give you at least an inch of extra headroom compared to the power seats set in the lowest position. For taller people and/or drivers that need to wear a helmet for driving events, this makes a HUGE difference.

headlights – I guess it would be good to have a warning, although I’d strongly prefer that these warnings be programmable. I find the ‘low temperature’ warning and the ‘key in ignition’ beeps pretty irritating.

<<<At least driving in the rain meant I had to do my first car wash>>> Driving in the rain counts as a car wash in my book :o)
  • Options
    eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    Just wanted to know what everyone's opinion on getting an oil change when the car reach the 2000km (or 1200 miles) break-in mileage. Is it better to wait for schedule maintenance to do it?
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I bought some Rhino's when I realized I couldn't get my car on the higher steel ramps I currently owned. After buying the rhinos, I discovered ramp extenders at Walmart. Here's a pic from griot's but I know the one's at walmart were cheaper... around $15, I believe.

http://www.carnaubawax.com/search.jsp?searchtext=ramp+extension
  • Options
    Well...see... I use the 2 X 12s because they match the decor of the concrete blocks in my front yard!! LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    Waste of money
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    My 03 warns. I think it shuts them off anyway. I am not sure because I alwaus use the auto setting.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Interesting how there is no chime in my car (MY 2001) but the 2003 and 2004 have it. Can anyone confirm if they have the warning sound on their 2001 or 2002?
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Is it "really" that easy to install? If I go to Europe to pick up the car for European Delivery, could you easily install it in a parking lot in less than an hour?
    What tools would you need to pack in your luggage besides the changer itself and the L brackets?
    I have an iPod I'd rather use than MP3 CDs, but I suppose installing the AUX unit for an iPod would be more involved (requiring dash disassembly etc.). Better suited for the dealer to install.
    I could use a cassette adapter to play the iPod temporarily, but I think you lose the cassette when you order the navigation system with HK stereo.
  • Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Love the car so far....I am taking it in tonight, will see if they replace the rotors and pads.
    Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    Well....the car has only 300 km and it was doing it in my test drive prior to purchase when the car had 25 km. Dealer promised to have a look and correct. Obviously they just cleaned it but did not solve the problem. I think what has happened is when the car was on the lot for an extended amount of time the corrosion settled in on the rotors and when I took it for a test drive the rust scored the rotors.
    I am taking it in to the dealer tonight and will post tomorrow.
    Thanks for your response.
    Regards,
    Webby
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Man, you really nailed it. That sure is a "Big Brother" wort. According to BMW, the Assist includes a built in GPS so They can track your vehicle anywhere, and it comes with an emergency feature that should there be a collision it immediately dispatches a 911 ambulance/police/rescue ensemble to your coordinates. Imagine this thing going off by mistake and having the entire world show up unannounced? Good thing I was lucky enough to avoid it.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Clean off your wheels really thoroughly, dry them off, then wax them. Waxing your wheels will help repel some brake dust and make it easier to get off. Put a coat on now, and then before the Michigan winter hits again. This will also help save your wheels' clearcoat from salt & brake dust corrosion.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    I replaced my Pirelly SnowSport with the OEM Goodyear Run Flat tires which come with BMW Sport Option. What a difference.
    The Pirelly Winter Tires are silent, quick, soft and so comfortable. A joy to ride on.
    The Goodyear Run Flats are super hard, noisy, unstable and remind you to bite your tongue at every pothole, crack or joint. If you are lucky to live in a smooth roads area you will not notice much difference in handling except with the generous noise. But here in Quebec where potholes are as abundant as maple syrup in Spring these tires are really bad.
    If you are considering such option you should test drive these tires on rough roads before your decision otherwise you will regret, I did.
    I lowered the air pressure to 27 psi (instead of the recommended 30-33 psi)the difference is barely noticeable. The steel sidewalls are so hard that even lower pressure won't help. Any one tried lower than 27 psi? I am not sure the tire will keep its integrity at high speeds at lower pressure.
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    So the 2-series coupe coming to America is doomed, 'cause there's no room for the spare. I'll just toss a compact temporary in the trunk & run on normal tires.
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Thanks white. does this maximillian imports have a website so i can order online?

And yeah i also find the leatherette seats uncomfy for longer rides, im not sure why. My dad's 2002 325i came w/ it and now he traded it for a new 645ci, a great ride although i still find i-drive a chore to operate.
  • Options
    Do they need the optional lumbar?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    At least the tire manufacturers are trying to improve them for everyday use. But, as jean7of9 found out, there are some compromises inherent to run flats. And like he said, thorough test drive is a must to see if you can live with them. Too bad BMW is making them so available/mandatory on so many models, esp. those with the much-to-be-desired Sport Pkgs!
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Yes, they have a website. Do a google search. I've already gotten in trouble for helping out someone by posting a "commercial" website here. It's against the rules. ;/
    Biggest problem I have had with my 04 325i is the accelerator pedal angle. I have to literally hold my foot up at anything less than 80 mph. I finally fashioned a heel pad to effectively increase the angle. Thank goodness BMW still sells manual seats. I have it down as far as it will go, the front of the seat up as far up as it will go, and as little recline as possible and still provide adequate headroom. I would have ordered a 330i if they didn't make you pay for power seats (which I didn't want for obvious reasons) and the HK stereo, which isn't close to being worth the extra bucks. I definitely would have liked the 3.0 engine, 6-speed and bigger brakes. Too bad they don't sell a "stripper" 330i for, say, $3,000 more than a 325i.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out the Rules of the Road (link at top) - they do a great job of explaining the, uh, well, the rules. :)

We don't have any problem with links to "commercial" websites provided the poster has no interest in the site - that would be solicitation. Otherwise, just about the only other links that are off-limits are those that go directly to other automotive message boards. (Yes, the "other message board" policy has lightened up.)

If anyone has any question about this or any of our policies, feel free to drop me an email. I'll be glad to work it out with you.

Sorry for the interruption - back to your regularly scheduled conversation. :)
  • Options
    Though we all hate "big brother watching", this tracking functionality can really save lives in case of a bad accident when precious minutes matter.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine driving home late one night was about a block from home in a quiet neighborhood in his new 7 series when he had to make an quick maneuver to avoid an animal on a narrow single lane road that was lined with peoples front yards on both sides. Given the lack of road, my friend went right off the road and head-on into a tree while getting wedged between 2 other trees. He crawled out of the back of the car and discovered that amazingly he was OK except for a few bruises and minor cuts due to shattered glass. Of course all air bags went off etc. While he stood outside collecting himself, BMW assist called his home since no one was answering the car phone and advised his family of an accident and gave the address in front of where it happened. Just prior to that call the police, fire, and rescue were notified by BMW and arrived within minutes.

Now imagine if my friend was unconscious, this application of technology could very well have saved his life.

Another lesson: After hearing his story, I decided that for the safety of my family, I will always keep purchasing BMW's or something as safe....even if it costs $15K more that the alternative.

Safe driving everyone.
  • Options
    I will start with the things I like, then on next post with what I dislike.
    - At 15000 km (9275 miles). A joy to ride. Since I have it I seldom drive my very comfortable E320 4matic. With the 3 series I always take longer routes when time permits.
    - Excellent responsive 3.0 liters engine with linear acceleration at any speed.
    - Excellent brakes under difficult condition.
    - Excellent stability under difficult conditions. Once on the way to a Snow Mobile trip, I drove 100 km (62 miles)on free ice with Pirelly SnowSport. I never felt once having lost any control. All stability and control systems worked like a Symphony.
    - Steering is precise and responsive.
    - Leather Sports Seats are comfortable and supportive on long or small trips.
    -Park Distance Control is precise and helpful for tight spots.
    -Excellent Dealer service, equal to MB or Lexus.
  • Options
    I may awake a wolf pack in this posting. That is why you should know that I bought the 03 330xi with all available options which brought the price up to the level of my MB E320 4matic. At this price level I expect a lot.
    - Ingress & Outgress (getting in and out of the car) is tight. Front door should open wider.
    - Run Flat Tires, post # 26236
    -Steering very hard for parking manoevers, it feels almost not powered at low speeds.
    -Two Pulls to open door (this is a BeerGarten Design).
    -Navigation System does not allow scanning of digital map, not even neighborhood of location.
    -Paid big price for DVD Navigation System and got Navigation CD in it instead of Navigation DVD. They changed that for 04 models in Canada.
    -Clock does not synchronize with Nav Satellites.
    -Windshield washer lever activates also headlights washer. This is dangerous under stormy and slushy conditions because it empties tank earlier. With half pull I can activate windshield washer only but still need to activate wipers separately. Another BeerGarten Design.
    -Trunk opening button concealed under steering wheel with difficult access. Think BeerGarten.
    -On cold days temperature gets priority when driving below 3 degrees C. Bad for cold countries in Winter. Specially on multiple short trips. There should be a setting for preference by driver.
    -No storage space.
    It is obvious the design engineers created lot of things to impress their other design colleagues, such as the re chargeable light in the glovebox. I experienced this in my long career in High Tech. They should have let consumers drive the car extensively before freezing the design.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    home in a quiet neighborhood in his new 7 series when he had to make an quick maneuver to avoid an animal on a narrow single lane road

Growing up in a rural area we quickly learned you never swerve to avoid an animal on narrow streets. Sure if you're on some wide BLVD, take evasive action.

On a narrow road, you can try to brake but regardless of what it is - deer, skunk, possum, dog, cat - do not swerve as a tree, fence, cliff, ditch or other car will be far more damaging to your car and your life.

I had many friends learn this the hard way. But it was a darn good way to avoid trouble when I was 17 and had my only auto accident. I told my dad I avoided a deer and admitted to speeding. He knew at the time I was lying but he couldn't prove it - especially with a friend backing up my prevarication. I told my family the truth 10 years later - which was more to avoid the constant inane references to Bambi and such - and everybody was shocked as it had become truth through time.
  • Options
    >Clean off your wheels really thoroughly,
    >dry them off, then wax them.

Is there any particular type of wax to use? Would I use the same stuff that I would use on the rest of the car?
  • Options
    What I'm finding is that I'm having trouble getting a comfortable driving position. Not because of the seats themselves, but because of the number of adjustments. I've never had a car with this many power adjustments, and it's hard to tell exactly what to try (do I move it up or down, or should it be tilted more, but when I tilt it I have to move it forward, and what about the seat back?). Thank goodness for the memory feature! I can actually save more than one position and then get back to them if I don't like the new one or want to compare with how I had it set before.
  • Options
    >Is it "really" that easy to install? If I go to
    >Europe to pick up the car for European Delivery,
    >could you easily install it in a parking lot
    >in less than an hour?

Yes, I could. If you pay my ticket to Europe, I'll gladly install it in any parking lot of your choice :-).

Seriously, though, it might be a bit much for that. In addition to the CD player there is a Soundgate adapter and an I-bus to M-bus cable required (this was all part of the $380 that I paid). Toolwise, I needed a couple of small screwdrivers (mainly for prying out the plastic rivets that hold the trunk liner in place), a Phillips screwdriver, and a small socket & drive for the mounting screws. You also need some large tie-wraps and maybe some electrical tape to hold things in place and tidy up the wiring. So it basically depends on your level of handiness. The hardest part is getting the trunk liner piece out of the way and then back into place.
  • Options
    memphis10memphis10 Member Posts: 161
    The trunk space on the 3 series is too small. I can get my golf clubs in without having to get the driver and 3 wood out of the bag. That's the single standard of measure on deciding trunk space (at least for me). Just 1 more inch of space on the side is all I am asking for.
  • Options
    I would do that but I guess it was his reflex action.
  • Options
    Mine is always how many cases of beer I can fit. So far, no problems.... Maybe you need to change hobbies?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My 5er has an appliqué attached to the inside of the trunk lid that shows how to fit not one, not two, but three golf bags. So far anyway, there has yet to be a single golf bag back there. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Two pulls to open door are needed only when the car is locked with the central locking button or programmed to automatically lock all doors when it reaches 10 mph. Keep in mind that this is programmable and you can easily have you dealer change it if you'd like. Mine is programmed to lock all doors automatically when it hits 10 mph and in retrospect I think I should not have automated this because you end up having to pull on the lever twice to open the door.

The doors open wide enough for me - don't they go almost 90 degrees?!

Completely agree on the runflat tires - avoid those at all costs. It's a marketing ploy.

Trunk opening button - my 325i does not even have any. I don't think I need it - I like the trunk button on the remote.

Temperature display - 3 degrees C is what makes the most sense because under that level, the roads might be frozen. How would it help you if it were set to, say - 10 C?!

No storage space - the door pockets and glove box are plenty big compared to other cars that size. And how much junk do you really need in the cabin - BMWs have traditionally been spartan by design and I wish they'd keep them that way.

Small trunk space (whoever posted that) - look, it's a compact sports sedan, not a grocery hauler. You can't have a 107.3" wheelbase in a 176" long car with perfect weight distribution (even the driver is right smack in the middle!!), rear leg room at least as spacious as the E39 5-series AND roofline tall enough to accommodate 6+ ft passengers in the back AND have a 15 cu ft trunk. Oh, and a battery in the rear for weight distribution. Oh, and a FULL-SIZE spare tire. You need a longer car for that and to me, the E46 is already a tad too big for a sports sedan. Don't forget that BMW is the Ultimate Compromise Machine, not Ultimate in any single category. FWIW, I can fit my long box with floor jack and stands, large Craftsman toolbox, small air compressor, huge plastic container with all my junk in it (incl. helmet), large cooler with food for 2-3 days with a smaller cooler inside it and in the trunk for driving schools. That still leaves the whole rear seat to fit 4 track tires if I wanted to. The reason why I can do that is because the trunk is well designed for its size and not obstructed by much of anything.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    What's the big deal about pulling a handle twice? Honestly, I prefer that to my 03 Protege that requires I physically unlock the car before the door will open.

It's one simple motion in my BMW - which I only drive two days a week so it's not like this is pre-programmed from constant use. Stop car, pull handle twice with my fingers, door opens.

The rest of it, I don't mind any of the other things mentioned. I don't like the bad manual in 3s and the lack of low range torque in my 330i is starting to bug me but otherwise...
  • Options
    Could not agree more !...1 inch would do it.
    Obviously they co not care about golf but smoking is very important to them!!!!
    Still love the car!!
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Hmm, maybe an ICELink for my Apple iPod would be a much more simple installation.

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=vie- - - - - w&id=375&Itemid=79
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    yup...just use the same wax. Just don't use the applicator on the wheels and then the paint.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    - My door opens about 65 degrees. With the position of the seat behind the B Pillar getting in and out is not really easy. MB C Class, Jaguar and Infinity G-35 did a better job in ingress and outgress.
    -I did ask for the programming of automatic door locks which I consider a basic security feature. All my other cars have this feature, none requires pulling the lever twice for opening the doors. MB went one step ahead to open all doors when driver door is opened. This feature is programmable.
    - My remote key functions only when outside the key hole. Opening the trunk when sitting behind the steering wheel requires turning the engine off then taking the key off the keyhole. That is very stupid when a trunk button is there waiting and paid for. Except that trunk button is above the engine cover release lever. "I must open the door to reach it". I was not challenging its function but its odd placement. Most cars have it in driver door. MB have it between the front seats. I am sorry you do not have a trunk remote on your 325i because most cheaper cars have them. Please bare in mind that in the past I have driven porsche's without door levers or radio and Renault Gordini without seats or door levers on Le Mans race track in free amateurs racing. Just a cable to open the door to save weight for racing. I did not complaint then. It is different with 330xi fully equipped, I did not buy it for its racing ability , but because it is the most luxurious in its class when fully equipped.
    -On cold days (that is every day for six months in Quebec)the outside temperature jumps into the control panel and supersedes the clock which is my preferred setting. This is repeated every time I start the engine on multiple trips. When you know your surrounding weather and temperature you do not need this annoying beep every time you start the car. After it kicks the clock away I must press the lever four times to get the clock back to control panel. BMW could have cured that by adding a separate fixed temperature LCD in the control panel. All its competitors did that. An easier and cheaper solution would be adding few lines of software code in the program to let the outside temperature flash for 5 seconds before reverting to previous setting. I also have another clock reading on the screen when NAV is on, however the font size is so small I need my reading glasses on to read it.
  • Options
    asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    I agree with 7of9 that the trunk open button is quite hidden. Perhaps this is why I never used it in my year of ownership. I typically engage the unlock, using the button next to the hazard button. This unlocks the trunk as well (but does not open it). I walk back to the trunk and hit the button above the license plate to open the trunk. Yeah, it is one more step to unlock and then open but I got used to it. I have a trunk open on my remote but I hardly use that either -- I unlock all from the remote(I have it programmed to unlock all during the first press) and press the button above the license plate to open.
  • Options
    Thanks, you saved my [non-permissible content removed], literally, by letting every one know about this new '04.5 offer that the least-expensive base 2WD 325i can be special ordered w/ these nice supportive sport seats for only $550 w/o suffering from the $1400 Sport Package's lowered firm suspension.

Back in '02, my doctor bro in Chicago chose the $1100 Sport Package on his Euro delivery AWD 325xi just for these manual sport seats w/o lumbar & had to give up the 4-spoke std steering wheel, which he prefers. At least the Sport Package for the AWD does not give up the lengthy-spring comfy suspension.

By the way, the "height-adjustable power lumbar for both front seats" is also no longer exclusive to the $39k 330i Premium, which is way less comfy riding than the base 325i due to both the mandatory 17" wheels(forced by the std large brakes) & the low-profile-tire-matching lowered sport suspension. Because the lumbar, too, can now be had for $450 on the special-ordered base 325i!

So today at the Hermosa Beach dealer, we just ordered another 325i SULEV auto w/ $995 beige leatherette pwr seats w/ memory, $550 sport seats & $450 pwr lumbar for both seats. That's still a bargain compare to my bro's $1100 Sport Package & $1450 beige leather, plus the AWD option in order to keep the suspension from being lowered. &, still, he doesn't got memory pwr seat or lumbar! Hey hey hey, see if the leatherette sport seats w/ lumbar beats the leather sport seats w/o lumbar? Any one wants to take a vote? I prefer the grey interior, but, unlike the Mercedes C-class, it's only available w/ leather for the U.S. 3-series.

W/ so much left-over change in the pocket, we decided to toss in the $475 Green-grey metallic. I can't imagine people spend so much for a 325i w/ the $3100 Premium Package, $1450 leather & $1400 Sport Package, or a 330i w/ $3300 Premium/leather Package & $1200 Sport Package, which tops over $40k even w/o auto!

Over this past weekend, the sales person was too lazy to let us modify our original order of beige-leatherette White 325i SULEV auto w/ pwr seats, as it just ended up into the production line today. So the dealer had to order another one for us today & ended up w/ both 325i sedans w/o moonroof arriving at the dealer toward the end of June, but we're only getting the green one.

Another interesting special-order option is the $400 pwr rear sun shade, which we didn't go for.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    creakid... Besides the great seats and steering wheel, one major beauty of BMW's Sport Pkg (at least on the non-AWD models) is that it dramatically improves handling without much degradation in ride quality. A real win-win. That is one huge reason the automotive press has consistently raved about the Sport Pkg in the E39 5 Series and E46 3 Series. [Too bad the E60 5 Series Sport Pkg comes will other electronic gadgets.]
  • Options
    The access in and out.. I think the door opens wide enough, but I agree that the B-pillar makes it harder to slide in, and with the bolster on the sport seat only adding to the problem. I'm sure this isn't a problem with the coupe (no B-pillar), and its a small gripe.. maybe I'm just getting too old. LOL

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mark_325imark_325i Member Posts: 29
    "Windshield washer lever activates also headlights washer. This is dangerous under stormy and slushy conditions because it empties tank earlier. With half pull I can activate windshield washer only but still need to activate wipers separately."

Simply unplug the connector from the resevior to the headlamp washers for the three seasons that the washers are not needed.
  • Options
    "Is there any particular type of wax to use? Would I use the same stuff that I would use on the rest of the car?"

Klasse AIO and SG. Forget about WheelWax -- crap.
  • Options
    "On cold days (that is every day for six months in Quebec)the outside temperature jumps into the control panel and supersedes the clock which is my preferred setting."

RTM. Dealer can program trip computer not to do this.
  • Options
    What is a 325 SULEV???
  • Options
    Super low emission vehicle..

IOW ... California emission equipped.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks. Thats what I thought, but the way it was written out, sounds as if it was a special type of 325. Aren't they all SULEV?