Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    codog2codog2 Member Posts: 13
    I live in metro-Boston and we got quite a dose of heavy rain this weekend. I did not drive the car in the rain however, I noticed that the the front passenger side floor was wet when I got in. The part that really sucks is that I had the same problem fixed 2 years ago.

Anyway, I searched the bulletins here and found out there is a TSB about this entitled

"00-01-38-012 DEC 00 Evaporator Case - Water Leaks to The Interior"

Does anybody know what this says, or where I could read it (other than subscribing to ALLDATA). Does anybody know how to correct this problem?

thanks for any input
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    vcjumper : No ideaon the ISS, has a $0.00 beside it on the invoice so.. My guess is it's somewhere around C$50. Basically it's just labor. I too liked the Mazda 6 best of all the new sedans I saw (I think I will test one in the spring for fun). Accord was a disappointment to sit in, interior looks better in the commercials. Still don't like the Altima much (interior, taillights ect.), but I'm sure it drives well. I'm thinking our next vehicles will be an Equinox as my wife is pregnant again and we need a kid hauler. Will keep the Intrigue and sell the Alero.

oldsman : I will be watching VERY closely to see the results of the alternator change. The flicker for me only occurs in very cold weather so I will test it right away as we just went back into the deep freeze last night. I think you get a year warranty on a replacement part correct?
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I had the exact same problem as you with the wet front passenger footwell. I have a 99 GL 3.5. It also happened in torrential rain that we in the DC area experienced just this past weekend.

On the web, I plugged in the TSB # into Altavista and found the following:

Carpet Wet On Passenger Side of Vehicle (Clean Evaporator Case Drain, If Plugged); 1999 - 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 2000 Chevrolet Impala

The TSB is the same for all the w-bodies, I assume.
  • Options
    sunsessionsunsession Member Posts: 45
    Evaporator Case - Water Leaks to The Interior

File In Section: 01 - HVAC

Bulletin No.: 00-01-38-012

Date: December, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Carpet Wet On Passenger Side of Vehicle
    (Clean Evaporator Case Drain, If Plugged)

Models:
    1999-2000 Buick Century, Regal
    1999-2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    2000 Chevrolet Impala
    1999-2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1999-2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

Condition

Some customers may comment that the carpet on the front passenger side is wet.

Cause

This may be caused by foreign material plugging the evaporator case drain.

Correction

Inspect the evaporator case drain for plugging.

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

2. Remove the rubber elbow from the evaporator case drain tube by pulling the elbow straight off.

3. Insert a 9 mm (11/32 in) drill bit, or any other similar-type instrument, into the evaporator case drain to clean out the material that is blocking the drain. (The distance to the other side of the evaporator case is 130 mm (5 in)).

4. Re-install the evaporator case drain rubber elbow. A small amount of silicone spray on the inside of the rubber tube will allow it to be slipped into place very easily. Be sure that the rubber elbow drain hole is open.

If the evaporator case drain was not plugged, a water leak test will need to be performed using normal water testing procedures.

If no external water leak was found and the vehicle returns for the same type concern, the evaporator case will have to be removed from the vehicle and the foreign material removed from the evaporator case.

Parts Information

No parts are required to perform this procedure. If the rubber elbow is missing from the vehicle, install a new elbow. The addition of this rubber elbow will result in road and wind noise reduction at highway speeds.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    We're getting lots of sleet here in Dallas. I forgot how much fun it is to drive the Intrigue on icy roads. Traction control and ABS work great. Wish I had PCS, would be interesting to see if it would help prevent sliding sideways on the ice. Anyways, I did notice that my headlights flicker when the ABS kicks in. But they don't do it any other times.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I'm sure PCS works great, but on my car I still haven't used it (at least I don't think so--does a symbol show up on the dash like when Traction Control kicks in)? If I haven't used it this winter, I don't know when I will! The Intrigue has been excellent in the ice and snow, really remarkable for a non-AWD vehicle. The brakes have improved (don't forget my car only has 4000 miles on it) since they were new and now feel great.

For all of those who were bashing their Goodyear RS-A's, you might find it interesting that the US Capitol Police use those tires on their squad cars--I noticed going to work today. I think that says a lot about their durability and traction.
  • Options
    mfletouva : I think the Goodyears are good tires, perhaps there was a bad batch on some Intrigues, who knows. I've had good luck with the brand in the past and I expect to get 100K kms out of my OEMs.

redline : Both our Intrigue and Alero have the ABS/TC and I would never get a car with out in the future. I realize we have more snow / ice up here, but even on wet roads they are well worth having.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    The same low trac light comes on for both traction control and PCS. However, turning traction control off does not turn off PCS.

Find an icy slippery empty parking lot, pick up some speed and cut the wheels hard in one direction without touching the brakes. If you get the low track light and your rear end does not swing out, then your PCS kicked in. I like to play in a parking lot at the beginning of each winter season to get a feel for a car and to refresh winter driving techniques in a control condition.
  • Options
    redline : Both our Intrigue and Alero have the ABS/TC and I would never get a car with out in the future. I realize we have more snow / ice up here, but even on wet roads they are well worth having.

LOL my wife won't let me take her Envoy XL out on the ice! It is RWD, but it also has a locking rear differential and traction control (plus ABS). I really wish she would let me take it out to play, but she won't let it leave the garage! I'm eager to see how it handles the ice. By the way, there is about 3" of ice on my driveway. My neighbor tried to drive up his in his Cherokee and just slid back down.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info sunsession
  • Options
    My buddy e-mailed me today and said he stayed home because of the ice storm you had in Dallas today. Sounds pretty bad, but nothing compared to some of the ice storms I've seen up here. That said, we are a little more prepared for this kind of stuff than you are.
  • Options
    a4naxenta4naxent Member Posts: 9
    I have 83000km on my 98 Intrigue and figure I'll most likely make it to 120km before the wear bars start to show. However, I would go with Michelins for replacements. Winter traction starts to drop once you get past the half wear point with the Goodyears. I rotate mine once a year (about every 18Km). Also had the Goodyears on my Bonneville and they lasted 130Km and still were not quite down to the wear bars. The guy that I sold the car to drove another year before buying new ones.
  • Options
    Yeah, I stayed home yesterday and I'll most likely stay home again today. I don't have any chains for my tires, and I'm not sure the Dunlop SP Sport A2s on my Intrigue will do so well on the ice. The major highways in Dallas are parking lots, nobody is going anywhere. I wish I had some ice skates, I could skate around the block.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Speaking of A2's.. How do you find yours noise wise and other factors like wet handling, dry handling compared to oem?
  • Options
    I was told by a mechanic that I would soon need to replace my front brake pads and rotors on my 98 Intrigue (130k miles)

Has anybody changed thier own brakes on an Intrigue? Is it pretty straight forward, or should I let a mechanic do it? (He quoted me $250 for the front pads and rotors). I've done other cars in the past, but never one with anti-lock brakes

thanks
  • Options
    Ya, sounds like it's best to stay home. Is it that cold down there that the ice didn't melt yet?
  • Options
    Ya, sounds like it's best to stay home. Is it that cold down there that the ice didn't melt yet?

The temperature finally got above freezing this afternoon, so the roads are pretty clear here now. I could have ice skated on the roads this morning, it was very smooth and slick.

I was told by a mechanic that I would soon need to replace my front brake pads and rotors on my 98 Intrigue (130k miles)

Geez, 130K miles on brakes, 83,000 km on tires, I don't know how you guys do it. I needed new tread at 32K miles and now I need new front brakes at 50K miles.

Speaking of A2's.. How do you find yours noise wise and other factors like wet handling, dry handling compared to oem?

The A2's handle a little better than the Eagle LS's. The main advantage is price, they will save you about $80 for a set. IMO they have better wet traction too. They were very quiet when I first put them on, but I think I have something wrong with my suspension or the front end needs aligning because now they are loud. My service guy says they are "chopped", but I don't know how because I've only put about 15K miles on them, and they are rotated every 7500 miles. I keep 31 psi in them too. Visibly it looks like the tread is wearing a little unevenly, not really on the outside or inside, but each tread has more wear on the rear vs. the front. It might just be my driving style, I tend to push the car hard into corners.
  • Options
    You have to stop squealing out of your driveway every morning,

;-)
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    You're darn right I would but ONLY IF ::

someone could somehow guarantee me, a top-notch finish, with NO PROBLEMS initially, on-going, and long term. Then YES under those conditions I would give the Intrigue another shot.

But I would NOT pay the asking full MSRP, which full loaded was exceeding the $30k mark, and simply does not have the track record to command the sort of pricing.

Right now in a sedan, the Mazda-6 has my attention, good looks & price very reasonable. I'm also looking forward to seeing what new the Acura '04 TL will look like. But my guess is the price is going to take big jump up [like into the mid 30's] bridging the price gap between the RL, and moving away from the Accord. And Acura will more than likely lose some "value" orinted customers.

But I'm thinking/leaning towards some type of cross-over vehicle, giving me a little more life-style versatility.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    JGriff: "giving me a little more life-style versatility."

Uh, what are you trying to tell everyone??
  • Options
    Ya.. Mazda has a fantastic track record. Ha!

Honda RULES!
  • Options
    Hooray! jgriff is back!
  • Options
    rjs200240:: I'm just referring to having a more all-purpose vehicle. Coupes & Sedans have their limits [pros & cons], and most SUVs & trucks are too big & use way too much gas.

A cross-over sport-wagon kind of thingy, we will just have to see what the future holds.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    You may want to check out the Cadillac SRX for that next cross-over vehicle. From the initial reviews and pics I've seen, I'm very impressed. And SUV type vehicles are usually the last thing I consider. The Mazda 6 is a pretty nice overall package and if your wanting to stay in the mid 20s, it's hard to beat. I'm leaning more toward a Saab 9-3 or Cadillac CTS for my Intrigue replacement. I've driven a 6 twice and was impressed, but it lacked some of the feature that I would like to have in a car or have become used to with my Intrigue.
  • Options
    most SUVs & trucks are too big & use way too much gas.

But not the Honda Pilot/MDX, right? You will be disappointed in me jgriff, I bought an Envoy XL and not a Pilot. ;-)

By the way, my Intrigue is still going strong at 50K miles. It's had a few minor problems, but not as bad as my Aunt's '99 Accord EX V6 that needed a new transmission after two years.
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Are the problems found in the earlier models like the crankshaft sensor and the ISS still around in the 2002 model? Are they more reliable?
    Thanks for your imput cause I am probably going to buy one in a couple weeks. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Well, I've had mine since June, and put 7800 miles on it. Not exactly enough miles to determine reliability by any rate, but I haven't had a single problem so far.
  • Options
    oldsman : jgriff would never buy GM, he's a Honda man.

redline : I was very disappointed with the Pilot. The MDX is a real nice truck, but the Pilot is dull looking and the interior / dash was nothing special. People will buy cause it's a Honda, but it really isn't anything special. I can think of 5 other SUVs I would buy before the Pilot. My first choice if I could buy today would be a Trailblazer LTZ.
  • Options
    dindak::: GM trucks as a whole are pretty good. I would buy a GM truck way before Ford. Toyota trucks are getting expensive.

Pilot:: you're right very dull. Hate the gear shift on the column. Makes it more MiniVan like.

MDX:: Is great, except it is getting down right pricey. That was my 1st choice when they first came out. The pricing was around 33-34 up to 38. Now they start out at 36 and maxs out at 42-44.

I like the setup & pricing of the Mazda Tribute, but dang it got Ford's hands/input all over it. And they had a bunch of problems from the get go. I can't really tell if they have clear up the Q&A issues.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The Chrysler Pacifica looks pretty interesting. Anyone know when they are supposed to hit the streets?
  • Options
    TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    Depends on what you're hauling and on what surface. If you go up and down dirt trails, then a truck-based SUV, like the Envoy, Trailblazer, 4Runner or Explorer would be a better choice. If you never leave the pavement, the MDX, Pilot, Rendezvous, etc. which are not built on truck, but minivan, platforms will provide a more car-like handling and ride.

I've driven the new Trailblazer, and while it's got a great engine, the handling and braking never let you forget you were driving a truck. It's also noticeably jittery on the highway. Since I don't go up mountains or haul bags of feed, I'd rather have a more car-like ride and better handling.

And there is no improvement in performance on snow or ice in a truck-platform SUV vs. a car/minivan platform-SUV. That's about traction, not a heavy-duty supension.

I've read the "crossover" Volvo C90 and Volkswagen Toureag are good alternatives to the truck-based SUV's, too.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    I just turned over 14000 miles today and I am still very happy with my car. I have had a couple of issues to date: I had the "GL" emblem replaced twice due to flakeing paint and had the crank sensor and fuel pump regulator replaced. My local service department was impressive. No headlight flickering here. I have been very happy with the car overall and have nearly 4 more years of bumper2bumper warranty.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Haven't done my Intrigue brakes yet but when replacing the pads, it doesn't make any difference if the car has ABS or not. You shouldn't have to break the lines, just flow clean fluid in the master cylinder and out the bleed screws.
  • Options
    Pacifica looks good (I sat in one at the Toronto auto show), but it' pricey. I think it will hit the street in the spring.
  • Options
    hobasilhobasil Member Posts: 7
    Hello everybody,

I came across a 1999 ex-opp white Lumina for 5 thousand Canadian. It has the 3800II, 4t65e transmission, recaro seats, stiff suspension, H rated tires(max speed 130mph) and the odometer says 147k km (92k miles). After taking it for a drive last week I found no apparent flaws such as pulling to one side, engine whine or rough shift points. To my surprise when I check the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid, it is showing bright pink fluids which indicates the fluid is fairly new.

What do you have to say about this folks? The price is right and the car is in relatively good shape, I know it would be hard pressed to find a late model vehicle in the 5000 dollar (CDN) price range, and this one has the 3800II in it which is a big plus. I have always enjoy the power the 3800II outputs, and its smoothness and reliability. Anyways, I would like to take the car home next week unless somebody comes with a convincing reason for me not to.

This is my first time car shopping, I would appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance.

Basil
  • Options
    TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    Do yourself a favor and take the Lumina to a reputable service center and have them put the car up on the rack. Nearing 100K miles, you want to have the front end and steering system thouroughly inspected. Tie rods, ball joints, etc. are bound to show some wear at this age, and you'll want to know how much.

Pep Boys, and some of the other chains, will do the above, and will also plug the car into a computer and do a complete diagnostic, electrical check and compression check on the engine, take off the wheels and inspect the brakes, exhaust, etc. all for about $89. Well worth it.

Several years ago, I was very interested in a used Mazda RX-7 that looked and drove flawlessly. I had it put up on the rack, and the mechanic pointed out to me where the frame had been bent and repaired - it obvioulsy had been wrecked and the owner flat out lied to me when I had previously asked if it had been in an accident. I never would have known that it I hadn't had it looked at "bottom up".
  • Options
    achongachong Member Posts: 5
    Can someone please tell me where the spark plugs are located on the 3.5L engine. Thanks.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    It has been almost 2 years since I returned my Intrigue but I would imagine that since it is a DOHC motor that the plugs are in the center of the valve covers. I guess it would be pretty easy to pull off the plastic engine cover to find out.
  • Options
    Well, our Intrigue is now 3 years old and I guess that means we are officially off warranty. Hard to believe it's been this long, it seem like just yesterday we brought it home. Very satisfied with the car over all. We have had the following warranty work done :

1 ) Replaced the temperature gauge
    2 ) Replaced the alternator to fix the headlight flicker
    3 ) Lubed the intermediate shaft

Nothing major at all, just small things really. Other wise it's just been oil changes, tire rotations and gas. I will have the 4 wheel alignment done this weekend (dealer wanted to charge me $99, LOL). Anything else people recommend in terms of maintainence?

Thanks to all in this forum for comments and information. We will probably start to loose some people here as people move on and sell their Intrigues. It's sad because I would have definitely bought another in a few years. Today I'd more likely be looking at a Mazda 6 than another GM. Hopefully GM will bring another good sport sedan to the market in the coming years (are you listening Buick Regal design staff?).
  • Options
    We will probably start to loose some people here as people move on and sell their Intrigues.

I have never thought about that, but I guess you are right. Since they aren't selling them anymore the only new people here in the forum will be the used buyers.

Sounds like you have had pretty good luck with your Intrigue. Mine has been a little more problematic, having replaced two batteries, a crankshaft sensor, trunk shocks, front strut, and the ISS. I think the General has some quality control issues on some of their parts, but overall I've been pleased. Luckily I have not yet experienced any lights flickering.
  • Options
    Flickering was all in very cold temps. I doubt you will ever get anything that cold down there so you don't have much to worry about.

One thing I did forget to mention was the rattles that are completely still absent from the car. Driving down bumpy old downtown roads, the only rattles I ever hear is junk in the dash cubby. It's a nice little thing as every car I have had previous to this has developed one rattle or another by this point.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I had this on my Intrigue and it was unfixable. My IMpala started to do the same thing and thanks to "sunsession". The caliper pin kit has completely gotten rid of the noise.

MY dealer told me that this was the first one they have ever installed. Wish it was around when I had the Intrigue.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. You have solidified my decision to buy a 2002 Intrigue next week.
  • Options
    Is it a leftover new or a used one?

The 2002 would likely be the best of years to get. You should be able to get one at a steal of a price also (new or used). I was very tempted to buy another one at the end when they were getting rid of them all in the fall.
  • Options
    Its used. They have between 20-26k and you can get them for about 20,000. Thats sticker price anyway. I just found out my car is leaking anti freeze again so I might be buying one this saturday
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    "I'm back"...hey all fellow Intrigue-ers, I am finally back, after relocating to Vegas from Chi-town, and spending 4 months looking for job (lost mine in telecom of 23 years near Chicago). I am in Gaming technology now, and will again have time to jump in here (ALL my online time went to looking for employment). My 2000 GL "typeR" is still running great, the ISS fix is holding up. I can really enjoy the mid and top range here on the 215 and other freeways, and of course I can now keep the car clean and detailed nearly all the time (but gotta what the sun's effect on the interior). Glad to back (and employed). -ketch
  • Options
    ketch : Nice to hear from you again. I'll have to look you up next time I'm in Vegas ( I would like to go this fall). Glad to hear the Intrigue is holding up for you also.

ozznet : $20K for a GL or a GX? Are they off lease/rentals? Good luck with the purchase.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Just returned from the annual new car show. Mazda 6 was pretty nice... a little narrower than Intrigue, but I was positively impressed with most everything about it. They had two on display: loaded sport (sunroof, heated leather, bose, 5-spd auto, etc.) and base 4-banger (cloth, manual tranny, etc.). $5,000 price spread between the two. Cadillac CTS... I'm sorry, but that thing is just a joke. Inside and out, can't compare even with the Hyundia or Kia materials quality. Nissan seems to have taken a step backward as well in terms of material quality. 350Z was disappointing... lots of silver painted plastic masquerading as aluminum trim. What's that stuff gonna look like after a couple of years? And ingress/egress was worse than my 01 Formula Firebird (if you can believe that!). Olds had a V-8 Aurora, Bravada, Silouette and Alero on display. My buddy agreed that the Aurora interior was heads and tails better than the CTS. I would have to seriously consider a V-8 Aurora if I were in the market today for a sedan!
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Well, after owning a new GL for 10 months, I sold it to my father.

My reasons are personal, but suffice to say I did not do this because it isn't a sweet car. Anyone who buys one of the leftover 02s will be nothing less than delighted. It was an incredible car for road trips, handled well, and had a great engine to boot. My dad loves the car as much as I did, and even ordered a factory spoiler for it on eBay!

I firmly believe the Intrigue is the best sedan GM has made in the last decade, and they still don't have anything that comes close that isn't overpriced (CTS). Hence, I decided to depart from the GM family. I've owned GMs on and off (mostly on) since I was 17 years old, and it was with mixed feelings I purchased an 03 Nissan Maxima this past Saturday.

I've always tried to buy American when possible, even spending more on American-made items even when a cheaper foreign alternative was available. In today's car market, show me a fire-breathing FWD or AWD domestic car that is reasonably priced, tightly screwed together, and is appealing both inside and out. Chrysler and Ford quality scare me (not that they really have anything even if the QA was there), and GM just has nothing for me right now. The CTS is nice, but underpowered and RWD (which doesn't cut it where I live, even with dedicated snows). It's more than $5k over the Maxima even with my GM discount, and IMO isn't as nice a car.

I'm sure that GM will get its act together in the next 5 years or so, and eventually I will come back as a customer. I do take solace in the fact that Nissan does buy a lot of American parts for their cars (from plants close to me in West Michigan), and employs a lot of American workers in other states. Plus Nissan isn't a "true" Japanese car company any more - 44% owned by Renault, with a Brazilian (I think) president.

I'll still read and participate in the Intrigue board, so let's discuss. Did I do the wrong thing by leaving GM, and is my perception about Chrysler and Ford wrong? Should I have bought a car I wasn't completely satisfied with, just to buy American?
  • Options
    perna : I can't imagine what personal reasons there could be to trade a 10 month old car for a new Maxima, but they obviously weren't money. Maxima is a nice car, but at this point I think I would have bought a Mazda 6 ahead of it as I find the Max is getting a bit pricey now. That said, you may have been able to deal on the Max so who knows. Good luck, sorry to see you go.

white : Still love the CTS like crazy and I disagree on your assessment of the car. That said, I think it's a bit pricey, I wish it was a few Canadian $ Gs less. I think it will be a better value when the new V6 comes in a few months. Of course the car is selling very well anyway so GM likely doesn't care about my opinion on the price.