Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I think he meant 35,000 miles ago, i.e. 41,000 actual miles.

Oldsman, glad to hear your tranny problems may finally be solved. It's a real shame it took this long, though.

I was at my Olds dealer yesterday for a PCM reprogram (an emissions recall), and while waiting I noticed they had all those dealer training videos on a shelf in the waiting room. There were ones on Intrigue comparos with other cars. Plus, the Intrigue from like 1999 to 2002. I didn't have time to watch them, as I watched the 2002 Aurora first, and would have watched the 2001 Aurora comparo second (they didn't list on the video what they compared it with). I found that pretty cool, as that sort of stuff is dealer-only (in fact the tapes were marked "not for customers"). Now there is more Olds stuff I need to find and horde... Has anyone else ever seen those, or have a line on where to find some? I've never seen them on Ebay, and I asked the dealership if I could put a tag on them in case they pitch them, but to no avail.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Does anyone know how many shortstars were produced? I'm guessing around 300,000 units. They went in Intrigues from mid-99 to 2002 and 2001-02 Auroras. With numbers like that, I think parts will be around for some time.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    The driver's door on my wife's 99 Intrigue sticks fairly severely. It opens a fraction of an inch easily and then it takes much more force to get it open. Once beyond that well defined sticking point, it opens easily again. I tried lubing the hinges and latches to no avail. I thought it may be door sag, but the door does not appear to drop as it it opened. Anyone run into this? Suggestions?
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    The FIRST alternator was replaced at 35,000 miles. I had to replace that one at approximately 60,000 miles. Since it was out of warranty (replacement parts are covered for 12 months/12,000 miles) I had to pay for the SECOND replacement alternator. I installed it myself after purchasing it for $220.00 (brand new, not rebuilt, AC/Delco unit, lifetime warranty).
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I know you have had transmission problems but you are the exception. GM builds great transmissions so typically GM cars don't have issues in that department. Glad to hear you are all fixed up now.

Have you decided between the CTS and 9-3?
  • Options
    thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    I first had a hard shifting problem (reprogrammed), than approx. $2K worth of trans work (bad bearing let loose). Now the trans is occasionally shifting hard with 1 to 2 shift slow (always) and most of the time shuddering. This is at 34K miles on a 2001 GLS.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    If it's like mine, it's the door trim at the top catching on the 'B' pillar. I had the problem on the passenger door repaired twice by the dealer under warranty. A few weeks ago I noticed the driver door doing the same thing. I put a block of wood against the trim and tapped lightly with a hammer. The trim moved about 1/8" and that fixed the interference. For some reason, the trim seems to migrate rearward and eventually hits the B pillar.
  • Options
    tandertander Member Posts: 21
    Anyone having problems or know of solutions to 3.5 oil leaks? My '99 GL barely has 40 k miles. Dealer tells me its a just a couple gaskets and will replace them. Im concerned it will recurr, especially because it was one of the first 3.5 (built 10/98). Is the 3.5 aluminum block a throwback to the notorious Chevy Vega motor?
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I don't think the 3.5 is a throwback to the Vega motor, more like a chip off the Northstar V8 block. It's probably the best thing about these cars and will probably outlast the rest of the car.

rjs200240, I haven't seen one of those videos but one time when I had a dealer loaner there was a cassette in the console on the product(in this case an Alero). I popped it in and it was basically sales training as it mentioned all the cars features and what is standard v. optional on the competition.

dindak, I'm leaning toward the 9-3. I can get one equipped as I like for several grand less than the CTS and since I am probably going to lease, Saab seems to have a better money factor on the 9-3s than the CTS does. And I'd kind of like something different for a change. Oh and when the lease is up in 3 years, the CTS will have not only the more powerful V6, but the optional 6 speed manual and the even more powerful V series available. Unless Cadillac prices the car in the stratusphere or they start having problems like the Intrigues have, it will be off to a Cadillac dealer for me when the 9-3 lease is up.
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    The driver's door on my wife's 99 Intrigue sticks fairly severely. It opens a fraction of an inch easily and then it takes much more force to get it open.

There is a permanent fix for this, check with your dealer. Like Imacmil said, it's probably the trim at the top of the door migrating backwards. I believe my dealer applied some sort of adhesive and I haven't had a problem with it moving since.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You used to post a lot 2-3 years ago. Right?

We had 1 gentleman about 1.5 years ago who lived down in Florida. He bought a brand new Intrigue that was using oil.

After much wrangling with the dealer they finally came to the conclusion that the block was porous.

They gave him a new engine.

There have been some oil consumption problems but that is typical of the Northstar/shortstar.

If it is just gaskets that is good.
    looks like your extended warranty will pay for itself.
  • Options
    How is our friend in FL who is on Intrigue number 3? Haven't seen him here in a while.

Well, I just finished a 3 page letter which I am writing to GM. It is basically explaining just how dissatisifed I have been with this car and the dealership service departments I have dealt with. Anyone think it will do any good? I don't expect them to offer to buy the car back or anything like that, but with my car being in the shop a total of 45 days within the past 15 months, I do feel they owe me some sort of compensation. Especially since I can't even sell this car for what I owe on it. And they better not even think of offering me an extension on the warranty.
  • Options
    He is doing well. We correspond weekly. Which reminds me i need to email him.

The 2002 that he bought has out of round tires that he has had a hard time resolving. They have replaced tires etc. but there is still a vibration.

He suspects there might be a transmission issue since the vibration is in the 40-50 mph range.

I don't know what kind of luck you have with new cars, but if the car has any issues the car I buy will have those issues plus a few more.

My intrigue had every problem that previous owners had plus a few that were unfixable.

My Impala has had every issue also.

So I am scared to buy another car because it will be troubled.

The Impala has been a better car than the Intrigue though......knock on wood.

What can you do? Go Japanese?
  • Options
    tander : 3.5L is solid. Nothing is 100% though.

oldsman : Did you test a 04 GP? New 9-3 is pretty nice, I sat in one at the Auto Show.
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    I think I will go Japanese with my next car assuming I have the money. Not that I plan on selling this car anytime soon. The warranty is good till 2006 so not till then at least unless it turns into my grand am.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    To this car, almost her fourth birthday and 130,000km later. Maybe since its paid for.
    Washed her tonight first time this year while GF watched Trading Spaces.
    Have to pick up a clay bar for next time, the front end is pretty rough.
    Car buffs can probably tell what one of the cars is in the background but the one closest to mine I doubt it!
  • Options
    The grass always looks greener..

vcjumper : Always liked that color. Wasn't available for 2000.
  • Options
    we are on the subject of our next cars, I am leaning towards the G35 coupe or maybe the convertible 350Z (that would be a stretch). I'm also interested in the WRX STi, but I've never really enjoyed driving a stick in traffic. The CTS V-series is a little tempting, but I'm afraid it will be priced a little high.

Back on topic... Has anyone had to replace any suspension components on their Intrigue yet? I want to go with some aftermarket struts when the time comes, maybe something with adjustable stiffness.
  • Options
    navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    I suffered from the same affliction many years ago. It went away when I discovered there were other manufacturers of automobiles in this country.....besides GM. Honestly though, for someone afflicted as badly as you are with car issues, I probably would go Japanese, and probably straight to Toyota, if you can stand the boredom. (Although, if an Impala can do it for ya, even a Camry shouldn't bore you to death). Anyway, IMO, you stand the best chance of very few issues with a Toyota right now.

I had a friend just like you. Whatever he bought, he had trouble with, and he's not a car guy, he just likes a nice car, but has no patience with problems of any kind. He gets beside himself when something goes wrong. He finally got fed up with Detroit iron, and bought a Japanese high end car. Alas, he discovered that even though initial problems were few, as the car aged, even the Japanese cars need replacement parts. He finally quit complaining though.

One of my employees recently bought a new Altima. Had a major paint flaw on the hood, which the dealer repainted, but of course, it doesn't exactly match the rest of the car now. Also had some mechanical issue, I don't remember what.

The message boards on Honda aren't encouraging presently, especially Accords. Mazda seems to be doing well with the 6 at this time, but I know nobody who has one. Everybody loves their Camry. I wouldn't drive one, but lots of people do. Best of luck! Move on though, and relieve your pain!!!!
  • Options
    Camry is about the ugliest sedan on the road with the new update (as opposed to just boring). Don't tell people who had the sludge problems that Toyotas are trouble free either.

Honda seems to have lots of little issues with the new Accord. Nothing special in terms of looks but they apparently drive pretty nice.

Best sport sedan now seems to be the Mazda 6 though I have heard good things about the 04 GP also. I'm sure the redesigned 03 Intrigue would have been juicy also, but that never got off the ground.
  • Options
    Until the Japanese can build some decent looking sedans, I won't be going that route. While the new Mazda 6 is decent, I'm still not sold on the taillight treatment. Anyone seen one of the new Maximas yet? All I can say is the current model is a beauty compared to that one. I may go euro on my next car as I really like the Saab 9-3. Never thought I'd want to own a Saab, but now that they are going "mainstream" as the Saabphiles say, I am warming up to their cars alot. I guess my problem is I have tastes that lean toward cars I cannot afford as there are not that many new cars that I can afford that I really like. My short list of potential replacements for the Intrigue are the Saab 9-3, Cadillac CTS, 04 Grand Prix, and Mazda 6 pretty much in that order. A low mileage 00 or 01 Cadillac STS would probably fit in that mix somewhere as well. Chrysler has abbsolutely nothing that I like and Ford really only has the Thunderbird and Lincoln LS V8, both of which are out of my price range. Honda, Toyota, and Mitsu again have nothing that appeals to me and while the Nissan Altima is somewhat attractive from a performance standpoint, the rear end and the cheap looking interior sway me away. Which leaves the Mazda 6 which I will say is not a bad sedan. Strangely, I've seen very few of them on the roads so far. I hope the 6 doesn't become Mazda's Intrigue sales wise because it is heads and tails above the Camccord.
  • Options
    because my 21 year old wanted to also. It was the 5 speed, was quite nice and very peppy. Seems a little smaller than the Intrigue but if I was in the market (which I am not) it would be on my list. Haven't driven any of the others in that group yet.

We also drove a Murano and the wife fell in love. Much more refined than the '96 Explorer, hot engine and doesn't ride like a truck. My first time driving a CVT and very odd not to feel any shifts. Of course at almost $35K, it ought to be nice.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Just curious why you would consider a Saab 9-3 and Cadillac CTS and not a BMW 325 or 330? I know the 330 is a little pricier than either of those cars, but the 325 isn't. Don't be fooled by the horsepower numbers they publish either. 330i is rated at 225 hp, but, according to the mags, is actually as quick or a little quicker than 260-hp Acura or 280-hp Infinity. I drove a 330Ci (2-door) on Friday... wow. Only possible fault I could find (other than the sticker) was that is was on the small side, though not uncomfortable at all. Quality of materials and assembly on the inside was exquisite. Great performance (and I'm currently driving a 310-hp Firebird). I'm sold... just have to sell the wife on that $39,000 sticker! Since I have my own business, I could lease one and write it off, which reduces the effective cost substantially. And they currently have killer lease deals going (relatively speaking, of course).
  • Options
    Considering a '98 Lexus LS 400 w 90K miles for 19.9K.
    Or may just refinance the Impala.

If I could have just 1 thing in an automboile it would be a super rigid body structure.

If the car had a stiff supension then I could live with it because there would be no creaks, or A pillar movement, or console movement, or dash movement, etc.

The Impala is stiffer than the Intrigue but it has some of the impact harshness over small bumps that the Intrigue had. Just not as bad.
    These impacts are directed right into the structure which is simply not stiff enough.

I am not saying it is flexible, just not good enough.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Twenty grand for a car with 90 THOUSAND miles! I know its a Lexus and all, but...for that you could pretty much have anything midsize NEW.

I guess I need to cross my fingers my Intrigue doesn't have the flickering lights problem. I'm at 5100 miles, not a single mechanical problem yet. I am wondering a little bit about the headliner, it seems to be sagging--hanging down a little bit--in the rear compartment. It isn't really noticeable, but has anyone else seen this? I don't know if its worth getting fixed. It's an '02 so it has the upgraded material. Also have an mild on and off rattle type of noise coming from somewhere in the back--but for some reason it seems to be going away, I only notice it once every few weeks now. Strange...

Vcjumper, I LOVE that color. My 1997 Malibu was that color and it looked great. I used to get compliments all the time (esp. from girls) that they loved the color. I can't for the life of me understand why GM nixed it. It appeared on the Intrigue and the Alero for a few years but was gone by 2000 I think. I ended up getting a dark blue Alero cause it was the only thing I liked and then traded that for my Red Intrigue. I do like the way the Intrigue looks in red, particularly with the spoiler. A lot of people on this board don't like the spoiler, but I think it looks great on the Intrigue. I particularly appreciate how the brake light was integrated to the spoiler--unlike the Alero.

Have to say, I really like the new '01-'02 wheels over the old style.
  • Options
    Thats not a bad price for the Lexus, but I would be curious on maintenance(of any high end luxury car) costs as they age. If luxury is the route your going, look for a low mileage 2000 or 01 Cadillac STS. Probably not quite as refined as the LS400, but you could probably get one with alot fewer miles(and some warranty left) for the price of that LS.

White6, other than the M3 the 3 series does nothing for me. They are as common as Camrys and Accords here in the more affluent part of town. And while the Saab does border on being a bit small, the 3 series is smaller still. Also, with the Saab as well as the Cadillac, I can get the cars at GMS pricing(which is really the only way I can comfortably afford them right now).
  • Options
    I sincerely hope your Intrigue remains trouble free and that you or anyone else doesn't have to endure what I have. I absolutely loved this car when I bought it(and still do when I'm driving it) and I even bought the service manual as I thought it might be one I keep long term. Unfortunately, the problems and the dealers inability to correct them once and for all have got me seriously considering a new ride. BTW, knock on wood but the new tranmission shifts like a Cadillac. I can now safely accelerate into traffic and not have to worry about it slipping. Such a nice feeling to have the car driving nicely and safely again, especially since I'm still making payment on it. I'd be curious to see how much GM has paid in warranty claims on my car alone. Any takers on how much the new transaxle cost?
  • Options
    Drove my Dad's 02 Aurora yesterday for a bit.. The modern rigid chasis does make a nice difference on rough terrain.
  • Options
    oldsman : I think you take the cake for biggest lemon. Too bad because my car has been nothing short of a wonderful experience.

lmacmil : Mazda 6 is definitely a bit smaller which is not a good thing with a family hauler (which is what we use our Intrigue for). That's why I would probably go 04 GP if I was buying today. The back seat is a bit small but it's just for my daughter. I like the CTS a lot but that's too much for me right now.

Washed up the Intrigue on Sunday an she still looks great compared with anything on our street.
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    Koni has some adjustable struts for the W-body. However, these are specially configured struts only found at PFYC.com. I emailed PFYC about the Koni struts, telling them of my apprehension, as I could not find any other resellers of struts for w-bodies. This is what they told me:

"The Konis are specially modified for us by our supplier at out request. There is no Koni part number for them. They take an existint Koni strut and adapt it for use in the W-body and we are the only ones that have it. They are covered under warranty by our supplier so there are no worries there."

I want to get them for my 99 GL, but I can't quite afford them just yet. I am going to lower my car with Eibach springs, so I want a stiffer ride. Check out PFYC.com and click on the Intrigue Store link.

It's a risk, but you can get a refund if you find they don't fit.
  • Options
    blackjack1073blackjack1073 Member Posts: 2
    My '98 Intrigue with 95000 miles started having transmission problems yesterday. When the tranny is cold everything works fine. When it's warmed up, though, it doesn't shift smoothly.....there is a distinct clunk as it moves automatically thru every shift point going up thru the gears to OD. Also, in the lower gears, while its moving up to OD, I can hear a whining from the tranny that is tied to the rpms. Once at road speed and everything is locked up there is no noise and it runs smooth. Also, at road speed, there is no indication on the tach that there is any slippage. Can anybody help before I go to the dealer like a lamb to slaughter.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    When was the last time you had the tranny fluid flushed and its filter replaced?
  • Options
    When a tape is inserted into the car player, it seems to have some problem lowering the mechanism and then raising it to eject the tape. The tape would end up stuck in the mechanism as it would remain in either the up or down positions. I successfully removed the tape using a pair of pliers.

Has anybody else had this problem? I'm afraid it's a bad gear...

BTW, how do I get the radio enabling code and how do I disable this feature?

TIA
  • Options
    Don't just rush off to the dealer and say fix it. Get at least one othere estimate from an independant shop (but not a chain). Ask around, there are probably plenty of people you know who have had tranny work done. If you find a couple of people who were satisfied with the same shop, they're probably OK.
  • Options
    bjl3bjl3 Member Posts: 22
    Hey guys,

When is it recommended to change the fuel filter? My 99 is now at 39800 miles. Still runs and looks great. Like many of you here I still have not grown tired of the car. The looks are still pretty fresh compared to what else is out there right now. Although my wife is wanting an SUV type vehicle next ( she drives the intrigue). With two little ones it does make sense. That is a couple years off from now. In November I picked up a new 2003 Silverado ext cab. Finally we have two newer, reliable vehicles. Not a good one and a beater. Love the new truck- thats for another board though. Still love driving the intrigue as well. Glad to see people are still frequently on this board. I read here often, just don't post much. Thanks for the filter info. I know you guys can provide.

BJL
  • Options
    I had my fuel filter replaced recently just before 50K miles. This was the first time I replaced it. For $129 my dealership offers an emissions service that includes new fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter, and throttle body cleaning. The throttle body cleaning helps with the sticky gas pedal I would get every once in a while.
  • Options
    If you stop the car and turn it off and then restart it does the tranny problem go away? If so, that is exactly what my 01 began doing around 12,000 miles. It would literally slam into each gear and there was a loud whine that varied with engine speed. It could be something as minor as the pressure control solenoid or as major as a rebuild. My transmission was rebuilt twice under warranty for this and the problem would still show sporadically. On the third time into the dealer they replaced the pressure control solenoid and while the harsh shifting didn't reappear a new problem developed and just last week GM finally replaced the transmission. Since your out of warranty, I'd check a reputable transmission repair shop(one that has a nationwide warranty) because dealer service costs are through the roof.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    My front right DRL / turn signal light went out today after 71K miles of service. I must comment that the front headlight assembly is a very well designed and easy to take apart.

The bulb itself is Sylvania part # 4157. I went to 3 stores this evening (Kmart, Walmart, Ace hardware) and they do not carry the bulb. They all had # 3157 which I think is a clear version of the same bulb. I guess it will be a trip to the dealer tomorrow unless someone on the board has already replaced this bulb and can suggest where I might find it.
  • Options
    I've gone through 4 (3 in 1 week) but it ended up being a faulty socket. Got all of them from the dealer, pretty cheap.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I wish you a lot of good luck in getting any kind of positive response/compensations from GM other than the standard phone call and "we're sorry" line. That was the best I ever got towards the end of my 18-month ordeal.

IMHO your best bet is working at the dealer level [which I'm sure you've tried your best]. GM corporate structure has way too many levels, and seems to do their best to avoid addressing customer issues, at that was my personal experience.
  • Options
    blackjack1073blackjack1073 Member Posts: 2
    The good news is that the shifting problem was corrected by having the tranny serviced and the "computer settings changed". The bad news is that the whining was the power steering pump. It was low on fluid (fluid was still showing a little on the bottom of the dipstick) and it's not an easy thing to check. I put in fluid but there is still a slight whine. Can permanent damage be caused if you are low on p.s. fluid?
  • Options
    Yes, too low PS fluid can starve the pump from lubrication and damage it. AFAIK, unlike on some imports, the lack of fluid doesn't cause damage to the steering rack though.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    Oldsman01,did they finally address your laundry list of problems with your car? Glad to read your transmission is finally done. I saw a black '02 GLS with chrome wheels, sunroof, spoiler, and two tone leather interior in our neighborhood over the weekend. It must have just been waxed, because it was SHARP. Reminded me of the description of yours. Beautiful weather here. Have been able to drive with all windows and sunroof open and enjoy hearing that 3.5 sing when I press the pedal! :)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I purchased a replacement bulb from the dealer today for $11.39 plus tax. Not exactly cheap but at least I didn't have to buy 4 of them! Vcjumper, you must have much better pricing in Canada, maybe I will stock up on my next trip back home.
  • Options
    I think driving with low P/S fluid will cause the pump to whine as mine suffered a P/S loss last December and I only drove it a couple of miles and ever since it has had a whine which the dealer says they cannot duplicate.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    ian did you stumble on your keyboard and inject an extra 1 in that price.

I have not priced that bulb but i will, because i have never paid a $12 price, $20 Canadian for any bulb.

I have a complete headlight assembly that was cracked up in a fender bender. All the bulbs intact. I thinking i am rich.

The whole assembly, complete with bulbs, was around $330 Canadian.
  • Options
    Sorry to report that the bulb is eleven dollars and thirty-nine cents ($11.39) each in U..S. dollars from my GM dealer. A little pricey for a small two filament auto bulb, in my opinion.
  • Options
    From what I remember I chatted with the guy for a bit after he found out we had the same name.. Gave me 25% off.
  • Options
    Anyone thinking about putting the Dunlop SP Sport A2's on their Intrigue might want to reconsider. With 14K miles on mine they are extremely noisy and badly cupped. I had 2 garages look at them and could not find any problems with alignment or the suspension. I had an alignment done right before I got the tires, and have rotated them every 7K miles. I check my tire pressure weekly too. They are wearing quickly as well, and I don't think they will make it to 20K miles!

When I first got them I was very impressed with how quiet they were, and now they are just deafening, like big truck tires. They still handle well and grip the road good, but I don't think I can live with them much longer. I'm going to see about getting them replaced under warranty, maybe they will prorate this 50K mile guaranteed tire.