Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    It's more like a roar. At first I thought it was just the tires, but it was louder than any tire noise I'd experienced before (and having had a Stratus with OEM Michelin tires, I know what I'm talking about :-)). However, I started noticed a "wobbling" to the sound around 30 or 35MPH.

Anyway, after the 4-wheel alignment, most of the roar is gone and I can't tell whether there's any "wobbling" or not (I'm not positively sure).

Yesterday I rode in the rear seat and opened the trunk access, but the noise wasn't coming from there, at least it wasn't as loud as in the cabin, as I'd have expected it to work as a resonating chamber for any noise coming from the wheels or tires. I'm actually starting to wonder if the rear spoiler has anything to do with it, IOW, that it's actually an aerodynamic noise...
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Interesting problem.

You mentioned that after your alignmnet, the roaring had subsided somewhat. That would indicate that the tire(s)that were out, didn't like what was happening and have been scuffed or scalloped in some way and are now being re scuffed back into position.

Do you know which tires were out and can you say move front to back, go for a spin and see if any thing changes. If the noise is altered, it may be that the skins are the problem.

If the rear was out of alignment and the skin was not re balanced at alignment time then you will have a balance problem and will be magnified when you put in on the front.

good luck
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    Hi all,
    I don't post very often, but I am a daily reader of the posts on this board.
    I'm hearing a whine from under the hood when I have the steering wheel turned to either lock and am making a turn.
    I installed some strut tower braces this weekend on both the front and back strut towers. I haven't had time to check it, but could it be that I'm squeezing some tubes because of the braces? I know that a tube is being squeezed a bit in the back, but I'm not squeezing any in the front and so I;m not sure what it could be.
    I think this topic has been posted before on this board. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    codog2codog2 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the help about the "Service Engine Soon" light. It did turn out to be that the gas cap wasn't on correcly. It even says on the cap failure to tightly seal cap may cause "SES" light to come on
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    well I had my first experience with the headlight flicker. The first time I thought it was because I hit a bump but then it did it 4 more times in a 5 minute drive. I'm off wednesday so I will go to the dealership.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Flicker was fixed on mine with the new alternator, sounds like it wasn't replaced on yours. Get them to check the battery also.
  • Options
    wlarsenwlarsen Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a used 99 with 48,000 miles and wasted no time at all buying the factory manuals. This is a three volume set, and is improved from my 92 Olds Silhouette manuals. Step by step with pictures even. I would recommend spending the money. Price is reasonable compared to a 00 Ford Exploder. They wanted $300 for the set. Go figure. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I wish there were a Haynes or Chilton's manual for the Intrigue. I would like one too. It will probably never get produced though due to the short run of the Intrigue and the 3.5L engine. If you have the 3.8L engine you could probably buy one for the Grand Prix or Regal, or maybe they have a W-body manual that covers them all.
  • Options
    I got a '00 with 36600mls with the 3.5 V6. This engine has run for only about 4 years and only about 300000 of them were made (although orders of magnitude more than many import V6s...).

After wlarsen's post, I've decided on shelling $120 on the factory manuals. He put me at ease about it being user-friendly.

As I have my Bonneville registered with http://mygmlink.com, I'm registering the Intrigue there too and I can buy the service manuals from there (among other sites).
  • Options
    I went to my dealership today and he told me it wasn't that common of a problem and he has only seen it 3 times. I couldn't get in this week so I will see about next week.
  • Options
    If you are referring to your headlight flicker, maybe its because they only have three intrigues in their area. LOL

My experience is three alts., probably looking for a forth someday, however , now it is better than it ever was.

The Gm Customer NO-service hotline told me that all intrigues do this and that it is an operating characteristic of the vehicle. What a laugh, Perhaps they thought i was a little old lady, with a lobotomy.

I asked the girl if gm was so proud of this operating characteristic then why didn't they brag it up in the brochure. Silence. Then she tried to convince me that flickering headlights weren't such a big deal because it was instantaneous. I then asked her if she would like to be driving down the highway in her car at night and have someone randomly reach over and turn her headlights off and on. "That would be annoying" she said. I told her that she now knows how i feel.

Anyway, thats my rant for now on the flickering/blinking headlights and if gm hopes to sell me another car then they better come up with a permanent solution before its time for me to say adios to this car and gm.

Maybe you will be one of the rare lucky ones, like dingdak, and get it fixed right the first time.
  • Options
    FWIW, the Intrigue manual can be found here.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    ...in the 2 years and 18K miles I've owned my 2000. Mine must be fluke.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    even if the STB is just touching the PS line, it seems to cause whine. I know mine did before I fixed it.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Good luck on getting that flicker corrected. I started getting it about a year ago and on the third trip to the dealer for it(first two yielded the could not duplicate line) they replaced the alternator. The problem actually got worse with the new alternator as I can almost predict when it will do it now. Anyway, I just got my car back today and one of the things I had them check was the flickering. In fact, I wrote a detailed note on the problem and their response was "found air pump cycling" and that this was a normal condition and then listed a GM TSB. This car will probably go to grave with a headlight flicker. Anyway, I do have a new tranmission now! I'm taking it easy for a few days until it gets broken in before I do high speed driving or hard acceleration starts. The temps are supposed to drop into the low 40s tonight so tomorrow morning will be the acid test as to if it is fixed.
  • Options
    moonshadow : I've only have the new one for a month. It seems ok but it has not been very cold again since.

lmacmil : We have a 2000 also and we didn't get it until this year and only in extreme cold. I could live with that but I figured I would take it in and get it fixed anyway since my warranty was running out.
  • Options
    Dindak: First i must apologize for mistyping your handle. Just noticed.

I find your conditions interesting as mine would do it at any time: hot ,cold ,wet, dry, January, July, just started, after running for 5 hours, sitting still, around town and whipping down the highway. I say would, because the third alternator seems to be the best, as it is very rare now.

However, it almost always happened at moderate speeds (55-75kpm) just as i crested a rise in the road or when i let up on the gas. It liked to flicker/blink as i let up on the pedal on the curve of an off ramp.

I had studied this extensively with my scope and DVM when the problem was excessive. With a 20 second sweep time i could watch at idle the regulation and it would start up shy of 14 volts and then stair step all the way down to 12.5 volts. Thats with nothing but lights, sitting in the driveway. Then pop, doing nothing, a 0.5 to 1 volt drop, anywhere from instant up to 1/2 second long. Sometimes there was a single negative pulse and other times there was several, the most i saw was probably 4 drops, of varying intensity and pulse width.

There is two problems here.

First the regulation sucks. Although high 13 volts is low, it is still tolerable, but should stay there. This slow progressive drop shows that the regulator is not working or at least not well. This was happening without any load changes such as wipers, blower etc.

Second, the multiple negative spiking is dead wrong. If one was to turn their blower off and on rapidly, this would occur but with consistancy. However, GMs story about the air pump is crapola as the pump should come and stay on, creating a single drop. When i sat in my drive way and monitored the spikes, the air pump did not cycle. On the highway, i was unable to hear if it was the case.

ozznet: Unfortunately, as oldsman has pointed out, gm has latched onto this air pump cop-out because they are unable or unwilling to address the issue. For example, if the alternator can not handle the air pump current rating, then, every car on the highway would be flickering, every time someone turned on their blower motor(30 amps) raise or lowered the power window to the max and held the button(20 amps +), rear window defroster( 20 -30 amps) and the air/radiator fans that are a good 30 amps each on start up. That is just what a alternator /regulator function is. Supply an ample amount of current to the battery and car and maintain the voltage so as not to create excessive fluctuations that would show up in head and dash lights that would and does drive the operator batty.

Anyone can see the loading effect due to a surge by parking your car in front of a wall and turn the blower quickly up to max(40 amp+ surge). Dimming occurs, ever so slightly, but you have to look for it. It is nowhere near what is happening to the intrigue on the fly.

Imagine, blinking headlights is normal. Normal if your looking to create road rage for the guy in front of you. How many cars do you think Gm would sell if they brought out an advertising campaign that promoted flickering headlights on all their vehicles. I guess i'm ranting again, or is it raving, probably both.

Sorry about the long posting but Gm has really got my shorts in a knot with this "blinking" headlight thing.
  • Options
    oldsintrigueoldsintrigue Member Posts: 4
    I guess G.M is covering there asses with this flickering headlight issue. My intrigue does the exact same thing as yours moonshadow.I went to the G.M to the parts department and explained to them my problem. They said they have two alternators now for the intrigue.One was the regular alternator and the other is a cold climate alternator.I couldn t believe it a cold climate alternator. Anyways the part number for the cold climate alternator is 10464469. Can someone check to see if this is true or are they just lieing to me. thanks
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    I don't think I have the flicker - have a 98 Intrigue - but noticed there is a difference in headlight brightness between the "auto on" setting and turning on the stalk switch.

I've sat in the driveway with the headlights on normally (in the dark, of course). Just for an experiment, I turned the switch on manually, and there was a slight, but noticeable brightness!

I have other issues with my car - bought in January, 99 and JUST turned 27000 this morning. Warranty is over with a year now, but too many little things have gone wrong and I think GM should make good as there are such low miles on the car. The No-Service line "tech" told me that low miles on a car is worse than high miles! Where does GM get these people?

Anyone else have the rear stabilizer problems? Replaced the bushings/links TWICE and needs another go-round, but I can't afford to keep taking days off from work to sit in the dealership!

Deke
  • Options
    oldsintrigue : I think the cold weather model is what I got. The service manager seemed to know exactly the problem when I told him it happened in cold weather. So far so good but I will have to wait until next winter to know for sure.

moonshadow : Is your car still under warranty? Sounds like you may have to live with the occational flicker. I can't understand why this is such a problem for some people and not for others. Even more perplexing to me is that it occurs in cold for some and all the time for others. Makes me wonder if the alternator is this only issue here.

Still very happy with the car and compared to some cars, this seem like a minor bug to me. I have seen other cars on the road with flickers before so I know it's not just an Intrigue problem.
  • Options
    the number you posted is the alt. that they used on my car each time. each time the problem became less. The girl on the noservice line told me that this #10464469 is the replacement part for the flickering problem and therefore the problem is resolved as per gm.

Hard to believe that gm is still selling and installing the old part that is known to be defective.

The impression i got from noservice is that i bought the car and i have a curb and gutter warranty. "When you get to the curb, you got her"

dindak. "01 with just under 30000kms,good until 06/100000 with the extended plus, $0 deductible, good selling point. However not sure i will be able to last that long, cause of gm attitude and stupidity.
  • Options
    Mine does the same thing yours does! Cold or warm weather it doesn't matter. In fact, when it is cold such as below 40 degrees it seldomly does it. Turn all the accessories on(seat heaters, rear defogger, heater fan on high, high beams, etc) and it won't do it. I tried explaining this to the dealer and they said it may be the A/C compressor cycling. I shot that down real quick when I said that I keep the "econ" button on during the winter. Also, car A/C compressors are engine driven so they do not draw current like a home A/C unit does. Mine won't flicker when I'm accelerating hard, but ease off to a crusing speed(approx. 2000 rpms) and it has a field day if the outside temps are in the 50- 60 degree range. The TSB they listed on my repair invoice was 01-06-03-001AA. I was behind a cop not long ago and it was doing this. You better believe if I get a ticket for this, I'm sending it to GM to be paid! Alas, this car will probably soon be someone else's problem. Test drove a 9-3 last Saturday and was very impressed. And the model I drove was the Linear. I plan to test the 210 hp Arc model very soon and with the deals people are getting on 9-3 over in the Saab forum, I may cut my losses and lease one. I like my Intrigue and it sure felt good to be back in the saddle again yesterday, but I am to my wits end with dealers that cannot(or will not) fix the problems. Oh and they "could not duplicate" the whining power steering pump which has been present ever since the P/S system lost it's fluid last Christmas. Hell, I have the service manual on this car if GM would simply give me a good alternator, I would install it myself!
  • Options
    One thing i left out, was that about a year ago, out of desperation or depression i went to work and loosened and retightened every ground and Bat+ wire i could find. If this helped improve(decrease) the prob, cant say for sure, however, if my 20 years of electronic experience with industrial machinary has taught me any thing. High impedance grounds can really jerk you around.

I was called into a situation where a $500,000 piece of x-ray equipemnet was ripped out and replaced only to have the same eractic intermittant issues appear. Turned out to be an improperly installed grounds in the power distruibution.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    They were blaming the AC because it has an electrically operated clutch that takes electric power. The idea being that the engagement of the AC clutch could cause your lights to flicker due to the sudden high current draw. I doubt if the flickering you have is caused by this however, especially if you get flickering and have the AC and defrost modes turned off so the compressor clutch will not engage.
  • Options
    When I did have the flicker it definitely got better when I turner the fog lights and rear defroster off. More power suckage seemed to definitely make it worse when I had it.
  • Options
    dindak: Your scenario is completely different than mine. Loading wasn't the culprit.

From what you had said now and in the past, I believe that your problem was an alternator/regulation issue. Oldsman and I seem to have a another cause in addition to the alt., albeit the same result.

Perhaps that is why GM is getting some fixed with the revised alternator. I told the gm noservice rep, the engineers need to get back to the bench and start looking for another solution, as the multiple alternators is not totally resolving the problem in all cars. There has been posts here in the past of people with six or more alts.

Thats like continually replacing a fuse over and over, hoping that the thing is going to repair itself. lol

This is why i wont let them touch it until the tell me they have a secondary solution, since it seems to be better now. However, if it stsrts the multiple rapid highbeam flicking simulation again, then its off to Gm i go.
  • Options
    Have you tried taking it to a different dealer?
  • Options
    Nope, next dealer, is the next town 100 klics away. I'm sure the dealer would love to burn gm for another warranty call, but its up to gm to authorize the repairs now, since as i have mentioned, i was told by them they as far as they are concerned the problematic part has been changed and the car is fixed. My take: apparently, i seem to get enjoyment out of harassing the dealer with non existant problems. Ie. I'm lying. Jokers. As a service engineer, i would have been fired for statements like that.

To get on their case, they will have to take the car and duplicate the problem and we all know how that will end up.

Living with the rare incident now is a lot less frustrating than giving them my car for a couple of days, hoping and praying, only to hear the "can not duplicate..".

Gm is in denial and thinks that i will go away. Then come back a few years later with my loyalty discount and start all over again with another of their miracle products. The only thing that they are right about, is that i will go away.

I really do not understand Gm. Based on my aunts, uncles,parents and actuary tables I'm good for another 40 years of driving and at a new vehicle every 5 years that 8 new cars, trade ins, service, parts and warranty work that the dealers and gm ain't gonna git. I know, I'm getting riled up again.
  • Options
    If they can not duplicate it then I can understand why they won't do any more work. What you need to do is video tape it happening with a date print on the picture. I'm not joking, it worked for me when my temperature gauge went screwy. Video tape hard evidence is hard to dispute.
  • Options
    Never would have thought of doing that . great idea, yet i sure it would be there awhile.

In the early days after the second alt., i captured images of the votages spikes and crapy regulation on my scopemeter memory and showed these to the service tech and Gm rep. They were not overly impressed, perhaps it was over their heads, perhaps they thought it could be of anything. Of coarse, they could have duplicated the effect with their own scopes but hummed and hawed and insisted on test drives. I had the scopemeter right their in the car but they just shrugged it off. I think it is because they know they cant fix it and "can not duplicate" is the best solution to their (my) problem.
  • Options
    Has anybody thought of getting an after market alternator. I realize this shouldn't be our problem and who wants to pay 300 bucks for something that may not work. Just a thought.

I spent 4 hours waxing my car yesterday. Guess what was on my car when I got out of work today?
    Bird crap on 3 spots of my car. Man that pisses me off more that my flickering.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    now isn't that a coincidence, i always get bird crap after a wax job.
    is there a scientific explanation to this?
  • Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I guess our family isn't meant to have Intrigues. My sister was broadsided a week ago and their Intrigue also was totalled. It was very scary. For anyone who dismisses the crash tests, I can testify that they're right. The Intrigue definitely deserves the "very poor" rating for side impacts. We're lucky we didn't lose anyone. The police officer was astounded the rear door performed so poorly. He's never seen anything like it. Luckily no one was in that section of the rear. Anyone who calls the flicker a fluke is up in the night. I know of no Intrigue without the flicker. Even both Intrigues on my brother's used lot had the flicker. So did my sister's and mine before they met their untimely deaths. A colleague at work has an Intrigue and his does it too. He happened to mention that there was another guy who had an Intrigue here at work and has the same problem.
  • Options
    jg28 : Glad to hear she is ok. We totalled our 98 Grand Prix broad siding a car going through a red light. Car performed extremely well in spite of "poor" rating.

moonshadow : Video got my car fixed. Do it!

ozz : I think some one on the board did that and their car was fine, but I'm not sure who.
  • Options
    Just curious, what type of vehicle hit your sister's Intrigue?

Also, I have never noticed a flicker in my '99 GL. I'm still on the original alternator (at 51K miles), but I'm on my third battery.
  • Options
    Maybe its the battery and not the alt. I heard of a couple people replacing the battery and flicker went away.????
  • Options
    does your car have the 3.8 or 3.5 Can anyone refresh me: at what year did they ditched the 3.8 in the intrigue?

From over on the impala and Gp site they seem to be up in arms about the plastic leaky prone intake manifold on the 3.8. We get the flicker and they get the manifold leak. Both are very expensive repairs, maybe it is a design operating characteristic. LOL
  • Options
    A momentary internal short or breakdown of a battery or individual cell would create a excessive load that the alternator/regulator could not handle and maintain. All power supplies/regulators have their limatations.

Even one dead cell would drop the voltage by 2+ volts and for sure would give the result we have. However, i mentioned the battery to the tech and he dismissed that rather quickly as he has been brainwashed by gm engineers that the alt. is the prob.

Sides, i would think that the Gm engineers should have considered this posibility and researched it for the cause. Cheaper and easier to change.

I asked gm noservice to let me talk directly to the engineer but was refused and would only relay my questions and return a response. That response was that the alternator is the cause and is remedied by the new part #. Blinders on, no vision. It is obvious that many people as per jg28 post have not had it resolved and Gm is up to its neck in a river in egypt. De-nile.
  • Options
     oh good , a lighter note!

It is a world wide phenomena.

I have come up with two deductions.

1. Birds are a more highly evolved species than human with an acute sense of humour.

2. Bird crap contains an active substance that is highly magnetically/chemically/gravitationally attracted to the shiny, waxy or dirt free objects.

There is also the phenomena that occurs when you park your new car at the very farthest remote corners of a parking lot, Only to return in just minutes and find it surrounded by the ugliest most abused rust bucket beaters on the road. Also there is half a dozen empty spots directly in front of the place you just came from. hehehe thats what gets me.

Right up there with my murphy's top 5

1. If every thing is going smoothly , then you have obviously overlooked something.

2. If it aint broke, keep working on it.

3. That wrench/socket that you cant find is right in front of you. Probably in your hand or pocket that you have already checked 5 times.

4. Someone holding the light for you will always adjust it for their benefit, which is directly in your eyes.

5. If you TELL someone, that you think you finally fixed that snot problem you've been having. It will come back the next day.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    3.5L became available in '99 model year.
    It was first available on GLS then moved down to the GX as a $500 option. By the end of '99 model year all Intrigues were 3.5L and the $500 was added to the base price.
    My February '99 build date Intrigue had the engine as a $500 option but I think April and later cars had it in the base price.

Had the upper manifold plenum warp in my Impala
    at 16,000 miles. Fixed under waranty.
    GM continues to engineer cost and reliability out of this engine.
    I understand the new Series III in the Grand Prix has an ALUMINUM intake manifold.
    If mine warps again I will sell the car or find a wrecked Intrigue and put the 3.5L in.
    Now that's an engine!
  • Options
    I've heard they have done a lot of good things to the 3.8L in the 04 Grand Prix. I'm really looking forward to testing one.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Keep in mind, folks, that they stopped building these cars and, in a few years, all will be out of warranty and, therefore, not their problem anymore. The "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" routine will continue till it's the problem of Pep Boys and independent mechanics everywhere. Personally, mine was out of warranty when the last flickering problem resurfaced. This after two alternators under warranty. Last one lasted about 25,000 miles. I went to O'Reilly's and purchased an AC/Delco replacement with Lifetime warranty! Took the better part of a day to replace it, but I now know that at least I won't have to pay for another one! I installed the new one at about 60,000 miles and the car now has about 77,000. It will be interesting to see how long this one lasts. I personally believe it is an inadequate voltage regulator... what creates this inadequacy I don't know, but something specific to the 3.5 engine is creating a very harsh environment for that poor little voltage regulator.
  • Options
    Sometimes the aftermarket manufacturers will recognize that there is a problem and design
    a replacement part that solves them.

This is most evident with aftermarket brake rotors which are less likely to warp.
  • Options
    does your car have the 3.8 or 3.5 Can anyone refresh me: at what year did they ditched the 3.8 in the intrigue?

Mine has a build date of 05/99, with the 3.5L engine. The 3.5L became standard equipment in March of '99.
  • Options
    As bad as the alternator issue may seem for some it could be worse. At least Intrigues aren't plagued with brake, engine or transmission problems.
  • Options
    Worst safety problem I had was the crankshaft sensor that would make the car stall out.. almost did it in the middle of a left turn. That would have certainly put the Intrigue precambrian side impact technology to the test.
    My 99 was never afflicted with the 98 practically GM wide rotor problems.
  • Options
    My 01 has been plagued with transmission problems. They FINALLY replaced the transmissin and the shifting and slipping problems are FINALLY gone! Hopefully, this will be the last of the transmission problems, but I probably won't be keeping this car too much longer due to the other problems that they cannot duplicate or insist are normal. The temp is about 60 this evening and I'm going to go for a drive at sundown and see if she still winks(flickers) at other cars.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    our Intrigue has been problem-free since the last alternator change (16,000 miles ago) and that and the crank sensor were the only problems since the original alternator died (35,000 miles). So, to recap, I have spent about $450 in repairs ($220 for the alternator and $230 for the crank sensor) in 40,000 miles (36,000 to 76,000). This is not nearly enough to pursuade us into taking the HUGE depreciation hit on a car we still enjoy driving and that still looks great inside and out. Plus, it's paid for. Spending big bucks fixing a car you are still making payments on is the worst! I just read in "Clik and Clak" this morning about a woman complaining about her 2001 Toyota Avalon needing new front struts and stut bearings at 55,000 miles. She thinks Toyota should pay for it, since she thinks they shouldn't wear out so soon. She's almost 20,000 miles out of warranty! Amazing!
  • Options
    Hope that works for you. You spent a lot of time and aggravation on the transmission issue.
  • Options
    Why did you have to pay $220 for the alternator if you only had 35,000miles? Though I imagine $220 is a lot less than what labour+alternator would cost on the labour intensive 3.5L.