Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Living in SC it is a trip for me to get to a CART race. Homestead is over 550 miles away and i think that race was dropped? I much prefer road racing to roundy round. Those people that killed in the stands during the IRL race didn't stand a chance. With road racing there are more runoff areas and you are a little further from the action. I would like to attend Mid Ohio, Elkhart Lake and some of the other famous tracks like Laguna Seca. How do you feel about the street circuits?
    Which CART races have you attended and what were your favorites?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I live near Toronto, so I renew my Molson Indy tickets on an annual basis. I have also been to the Michigan 500 and the Cleavland OH race at the airport. While the street courses are great, nothing was more exciting than the Michigan 500 this past year because there was sooo much passing. That being said, not all ovals are as good. The NASCAR race in Charlotte I attended was not nearly as exciting as the Michigan 500 either. I am a racing freak, so anything is better than nothing. Also like F1 a lot.

Do you go to a lot of NASCAR then??
    Sent off for the F1 tickets last year, then promptly lost the package and didn't do anything about it. History was made and it sold out and i couldn't go. Oh well.
    I talked to this guy from Scotland and neither he nor any of his friends like NASCAR. He said it was too competitive. The europeans are into the technology and the British put their whole being into destroying their opponent. That is why F1 is so popular over there.
    I like the technology, which is why I watch every f1 race and every CART race.
    I would like to see NASCAR go into more technology such as fuel injection ,DOHC motors etc. But that is not what it is all about. It is about the drivers and keeping everything equal and the have been HUGELY sucessful at it.
    How about a high winding Aurora motor in a Monte Carlo stocker, that would be something.
    CART needs to promote its drivers and rivalries more. This is what the average spectator comes to see. Except for Andretti and Zanardi there are no big draws in CART.
    When Mansell was racing ,that is when CART was really doing well, But that was 6 years ago.
    They need some serious help, and until the owners relinquish some control it will not get any better.
    Most F1 races turn out to be dull. CART is probably the only really competitive open wheel series out there. IRL is ok, but it's always ovals and half the drivers are unknown. I would like to see GM get into CART again with Chevrolet and into F1 also with Opel.

As for NASCAR, I like it a lot also but the races are not near here for the most part. Closest is Michigan which is 4 hours away and sold out months ahead. NASCAR doesn't need to change as they are booming.

CART does need to promote better for TV. Attendance wise, some races like Toronto and Laguna are great, but in Michigan the stands are half empty which is sad because it's probably the best race around.

Anyway... bottom line is, I love racing in general. ;-)
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Can I ask how much the 98 Aurora was? I am in the market for a car this year to replace my (ancient) Grand Marquis and am leaning - one could say toppling- towards a 2000 preowned Impala LS but the Aurora is a very sweet car and a low mileage 98 would be very acceptable if affordable (under 20K) alternative.

Ken
  • joeoldsjoeolds Posts: 39
    Ken
    Got the 98 for 18K. It was by far the best deal I found. The dealership had 2 98s one with 48K miles the other with 19K. The salesman told me they had put the wrong one in the ad, and that they meant to advertise the one with 48k, but they would still honor their ad thru that weekend. Carfax report told me they had had this car since July and had put 2K on it. F&I guy said since they had the car so long they needed to move it. Whatever the case they would not budge on their 17,995 price. Next closest deal I found was a 98 with 23K miles for 19,995. Never drove this car, or tried to negotiate, and think its still in town. If your not afraid of buying cars over the internet a friend of mine bought a 99 with 13K miles for 16,100 plus 700 freight. The car must have been sold new in Canada because everything is in Kilometers. Hes happy with it. Buying a car without inspecting and driving scares me. Hope this helps you in your decision
  • i havent been to the ovals, but i have been to Toronto once and Watkins Glen twice. the indy cars were cool(this was before the split) but the methanol burning gave me a headache by the end of the day. my complaint about road races is that you dont see much of the race. but it is cool to see cars flying down the straights and 150+ mph!
    The michigan CART race was amazing! Andretti and Montoya just inches from each other, passing and repassing. WOW! One of the best races ever.
    bz4: Ya... the big downer of that Michigan race was the stands being only half full. We may try to make it to the Chicago race this summer as my wife's best friend lives there and we have a place to stay.

redskin: Love the smell of racing. I think I should have gone into engineering so I could get a job with a racing team. Unfortunately I was better in business . :-(

Back to the Aurora..
    Sounds like you got a super deal on your Aurora. There are definitely bargains to be found if one is patient, flexible and ready to move quickly when the right buy comes along.

BTW, your vintage collection sounds very interesting. I always have thought that the early 70's midsized Olds was one of the nicest looking cars ever produced. My personal favorite is a 72 Cutlass Supreme convertible. Never owned one but always admired them. I did have a 74 Cutlass coupe - first new car. That 350 4bbl was great!

Your wagon is a very interesting car - I loved those vista windows in the roof - early precurser to sunroof - look what BMW and Subaru do with 2 today! With the woodgrain on the side and the unique top windows those were very distinctive cars.

Other GMs during that period were nice too. My all time favorite personal car was my 73 Buick Centurian conv (replaced Wildcat in 71). I absolutely cherished that car for about 7 years before it rusted away on me (I was 2nd owner - bought it in 82)

Have a great day!
  • Looking at the engine specs on the Northstar (dimensions), it doesn't
    look like a proper fit. You'd need one VERY LARGE shoehorn to get
    that Northstar V8 into Auroras very limited engine compartment.

The bolt patterns differ slightly as well. You would need to cut into the suspension (not to mention, REDO the entire suspension because of
    the weight differences)

I would say that it is not cost effective to place a Northstar engine into the Aurora. You wouldn't get THAT much more out of it.

There are MANY alternatives to juicing up the 4.0. Have you ever thought about an NO2 system? Just replace that silly transmission
    "power" button with an NO2 switch. Get an upgraded air induction system. They are an inexpensive alternative to an engine replacement.

I was at the LA autoshow this past weekend. I saw some juiced up old school impalas there. NICE. I asked the boyz what shop did the work.
    They stated that they belonged to a shop and when I mentioned I owned an Aurora, they had ALL kinds of suggestions for me. They
    wanted my business too! I was told I could squeeze out around 355HP from the little 4.0. The cost was around $6k out the door.

Hmmmm....(This did mean removing some of the weight from the vehicle for modifications...No Air, etc...Poo Poo)

I pick luxury over speed anyday...The two together ain't bad,either!

The end
    I though the 4.o was a destroked or debored 4.6 and that it had the same exterior dimensions. Please correct me if i am wrong.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    The December 1996 issue of MT had a Borla modified Aurora in which nitrous oxide was used. It cut 0-60 times to 5.8 if I'm not mistaken. Basically the NOx, a Borla exhaust, and some suspension mods were all that was done. I'll post more when I dig the article up.
    From the December 1996 issue of Motor Trend, here are the stats on the Borla NOx Aurora: 317 HP @ 5500 rpm and 337 lbs-ft torque at 4750 rpms. At the track it did 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.4 at 98mph. The mods also helped bring 60-0 braking to 118 feet and improved skidpad to 0.82g. Brembo cross drilled discs with four piston calipers were added to the front while the stock rears were retained. The transmission shift points were reprogrammed and the wheels were upgraded to 245/45 17s on Crager rims. The NOx and Borla cat back exhaust top it off, Total cost of the mods was estimated at $9550 including labor. Certainly not cheap, but an effective way to surprise a few 540 and GS400 owners.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    The 2001 Aurora service manuals are now available from www.HelmInc.com . The are expensive ($120), but comprehensive, so I ordered a set that should arrive in a couple of weeks. When they arrive, I will see if I can find out why the sound system is on all the time (the source of previously discussed hiss).
  • I am planning to move on from my Intrigue to an Aurora. I would like to get some feedback from the owners of the new 2001 Aurora. Is there much of a difference in the engines aside from the performance numbers? Which engine is less noiser?
    What are your recommendations?
  • daddyfdaddyf Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 1995 Aurora and was amazed at the corrosive rust colored fluid all over the top of the car after turning on the washers. I flushed out system and have not had an issue since.

Have noticed a hesitation from idle in traffic, feels almost like a fuel line or pump. Any suggestions discussion group? Thanks!
    If you can afford it, go with the V8. In addition to the better performance, you get 17" wheels with a slightly different design which I think looks better. My father has a 95 Aurora and I have driven several Intrigues with the 3.5 liter V6 and while I cannot comment on which is quieter in the new Aurora, I will say that the V8 sounds better if you do hear it. IMO, nothing beats the sound of a good DOHC V8.
  • daddyfdaddyf Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Aurora with 44 thousand miles and am looking at warranties. Can any of you suggest a company? I hae a quote from warrantybynet for 2, 3 and 4 years. After reading about all of the transmission, electrical etc. problems, I am convinced to buy a warranty. Am thinking of 4 year/50k will still have under 100k.
  • daddyf: I've checked most of the on-line car warranty offers. The best one seems to be www.warrantydirect.com. They do a very good job of explaining the subtle nuances of the different types of warranties and tell you what to look for. DO NOT buy an extended warranty from any of the car dealers. Check with warranty Direct and you'll see why. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I too thought the Aurora engine and the Caddie were the exact same thing (i.e. engine block) except for the liter size. Where did you get your spec information? If you have it handy, can you include a copy in the mail you are sending me? I will give a copy to my mechanic.

Henry
    I would be interested in reading that article. Is it something you can fax me?

Henry
  • joeoldsjoeolds Posts: 39
    I just bought a 98 Aurora, and have been checking the different warranty options. The diamond coverage with warrantydirect.com is a little more costly, but there is no exclusion for "excessive oil consumption, or gradual loss of performance" as in the warrantybynet contract. I would recommend getting copies of actual service agreements emailed to you, and visiting with the service manager or owner of shop you normally do business with to see if they have had any experiences with said companies on claims. I plan on purchasing a plan from warranty direct in the next week or so. I hope it is the right decision. Good luck
    Super pics and layout. Got to say though, that I don't think I could experience what you've endured on that Aurora of yours and retained anything close to a positive attitude about the car. It is a strikingly beautiful piece of body sculpturing though.

I have not yet looked back into the posting history on this car - I hope your experience is not typical for Aurora.

Question - do all 95 and up Auroras require premium gas? What about the new 2001 3.5L?

Ken
  • smuvejsmuvej Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a base (no options) 2k1 Aurora but have misgivings about Olds going under (resale value) and quality. I'm picky, but 3 of the 4 cars I test drove had a subtle dash rattle. Otherwise, I really liked the car. I haggled them down to $25,895, including destination, but I'd rather not pay more than $25k for any car. Anyway, I wrote to the salesman today stating that I'm going to hold off for now (and look at other makes/models) unless they're able to sell a brand new 2k1 for no more than $25,000. What do you think - is $25,000 a good deal given the possibility resale values may plummet now that the division is closing?
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Looking at buying a 1995 Aurora with 47,000

only needs new drive belt and tires and rear brakes...

no sunroof or heated seats... very clean

$10,080 figure $600 to get it top shape...

please email if this is good deal... [email protected]

Thanks
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Anyone guess what Aurora with 100k miles ,1995 will be worth in year 2004 ???

if I pay $10 now can I get back $6 k 3 years from now?
    tpken :The new 3.5 Aurora's run on regular fuel. Same engine as the Intrigue.

smuvej : $25K would be a great deal. Offer and see what happens. Resale should be ok on Aurora, it will likely be around for a few more years. Oldsmobile is the second eldest name in automobiles. Everyone knows the name.
  • you're too cheap to drive an Aurora. You want a car for $25,000 with no haggling? buy a Grand Am or a base Park Ave.
    That is too much money for the car. I own a 1995 Aurora ATS. The car should be in the 8-9k range maybe even lower depending on the condition and the local market. I like my car, but i would not pay over 10K to have it. Not becuse I don't think it is worth it, but because the market price for the car is not that high.