Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• I was thinking of a few things ...
    a) trunk lid spoiler; saw one in the dealership and it makes the car look really sharp! Too bad though they wanted $1800 for it ... are they insane? The spoiler option for the 98 intrigue cost me less than $100!!! Spoilers4Less sells one for under 80 but unpainted. Sportwing sells a custom-made one painted (colormatched) for around 250. Check it out.
    b) K&N air filter; it's just that I'm not sure if the Aurora's filter is worth replacing. A car so "peppy" should have a pretty decent filter right? In any case, they're only around $40.
    c) fuel ionizer (via magnetic fields); you've probably seen them, they are sold under a bunch of names one being Super Fuel Max. It costs around $100 but if anyone's interested we can get 12 of them for $250 (for potential distributors!). They claim it aligns the fuel's molecules to enhance combustion. This would work great with the K&N filter.

So, any thoughts on the above items? Has anyone altered their cars? Any other ideas for add-ons?

DCC
  • Re: Fire! Help!...Jim...I took my '97 Malibu
    back to GM and told them where to put it...
    They said they wouldn't take it back, but once
    I filed for arbitration, they immediatly took
    the car back.

Now your situation is a little different, although
    I am certain that the fire was caused by poor
    manufacturing...I hope you realize that you cannot
    have this car anymore. You don't WANT this car
    anymore. It stinks and it's been damaged at an
    early age. (Oh...AND it's a GM) So with that,
    march back to the dealer and politely ask them
    to return the car (exchange it) for another
    one. If (when) they balk, simply call the
    GM 800 customer care number. If (when) they
    balk, simply file arbitration in your state.

YOU ARE COVERED BY YOUR LEMON LAW...A Fire at
    this early stage is NOT your fault (unless you
    parked it on a pile of dry leaves!)

NAIL THEM...I MEAN IT...
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Ditto! The longer you wait the more likely GM will take advantage of you. You are the one making payments and you have the right to drive a new car. If the give you problems go to arbitration and call NHTSA. I have procrastinated on getting GM to buy back my intrigue and i will be the loser because of it.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The press is always quick to do that, but GM officials deny any such plan. I also doubt they would kill a division as they are introducing new models (Bravada in 2 months).
    A fond farewell to a great marque.
  • If GM does indeed dump the Olds line, does this
    mean our Auroras are even MORE valuable (down
    the road, of course) ??

Well...I'm a proud owner of an olds, but thats
    because I have their top of the line car. If
    I wanted any other type of car, it wouldn't be
    an Oldsobile. I don't really find any of their
    cars appealing...

:(
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    VWBUS, you not only have a top of the line Olds, you have an entry level Cadillac. Us Aurora owners should not be too disadvantaged by the change since Caddie can service the car. It will be the body parts that will be hard to find. Start buying those parts now. Thw center console will be my first purchase. A $700 "investment" for the future, but not a big expense considering the car.
    The part about ending Olds that I do not understand --- everywhere I look there is an Alero looking back at me. The cars are selling, so what is the problem?? The article said Olds has a reputation for lackluster design.

Well the Classic certainly changed that, but the car is NOT branded as an Oldsmobile. My 95 does not have the Olds nameplate anywhere on it (except the radio).

However, "the kids" must agree that the 2K1 can be looked at as lackluster compared to the Classic. I still say the 2K1 looks too much like a Taurus.

As far as the Auroras being more valuable.

Surely you jest!

(The only thing falling faster than the value of my car is my investment in Priceline.com.))
    In case anyone is interested, I decided to buy a Gateway computer with the Anthon processor. Thanks for the input. By the way, just landed my first NEW client, guess I can afford the YUGO I always wanted.

((So much for cars no longer being made being valuable.))
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Pontiac next? Nah! In your dreams....I think Buick needs to watch out, they could well be next. In the end the only divisions remaining will be Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac.
  • I ran to this thread as soon as I heard but I guess everyone knows. First I thought about the "rare" model hype and then came to mind the worries of servicing. I wonder which will prevail if any. All I know is I want to "zing" zinc1: "Who wants an ugly car that breaks down?": well, take a look at this thread and all the "Classic" owners! OUCH! I can't tell you how sorry I am to say this but really, how can you attack the 2K1 and fall in love with the 95+? I am so tired of people referring to them as bloated Saturns or Taurus's. The car looks great. It doesn't share any features "exactly" with any other car so let's not insult it. Let's all stick together and calm each other's fears (especially 2K1 owners like yours truly) now that our cars' resale values just dropped by half! Now I know how Apple stockholders felt a month or so ago. Take care folks.
    Tom Brokaw's announcement of a 5 year phase out seems to be awfully long and drawn out. At least we will see the new Bravada.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    I can't see people wanting this car knowing the brand is outta here, when they could just buy a Trailblazer or Jimmy. Will it be different enough as an Intrigue is to an Impala or Grand Prix? An Alero to Grand Am?
    Bravada looks very good, and is very different inside and out from it's GMC and Chevy cousins. I know it would have done well, but with this news today sales may suffer. Hopefully people will see how good Bravada is and buy it!
    What do people here think will happen to Aurora? My guess is it will become a Buick or just die. If it dies, GM will loose the only hope it has of competing with cars like the 3.2TL. I pray they have the sense to keep this car going cause it really is a gem in the GM line up.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    I think the Aurora is doomed. It's the slowest selling of all the models based on the G-body. It certainly doesn't fit into the Buick or Pontiac lineup. Some people have suggested that it looks like a Saturn (at least in the front), but people interested in $30,000+ cars aren't shopping at Saturn dealerships.
  • headlights look like the aurora's from what ive seen.
  • making this list were the '95 Aurora and '98 Intrigue. check it out at the last link that Zinc posted.
  • play the violins, olds is done. after the slowest year in sales in decades, and with an unrecognizable marketing approach, and a new aurora that does'nt know what it wants to be, olds. has to bow. they needed some spark over there that they never got, and certainly a new designer or 2. I'm not a chrysler fan, and would not buy one, but, they sure have 1 up in their design studio. they needed one of those guys in on the new aurora. where did they ever come up with that design, is it a small car trying to look large, or a large car trying to look small. It looks like an eclectic mess to me, and for 30K? and the "it's not my fathers olsmobile" slogan cofused people more about the divisions image. oh well, maybe something better will be around the corner, and I think as zink said, buick better be on their toes, I think the ax is still swinging.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    This is a sad day for car enthusiasts and Olds fans indeed. I was a bit surprised, I thought Olds would have tried a different marketing approach. Heck, I have a lowly Political Science degree and I could probably market Oldsmobiles better than they have been the past 2 years. The Aurora should go to Buick to replace the aging Park Avenue(and come only in 4.0 version). I still think this is a bad move. And I'll agree, the next division to go will be Buick if things don't turn around there soon.
    DCC are you a little sensitive about the appearance of your 2K1?

Want to "zing" someone?

Who was it that said:

#565 of 636: b4z: speaker hissing noises ... (dcchristopher) Sun 12 Nov'00 (01:16 PM)

. . .[Henry] I am flattered that you have been looking out to get me but please, I am only here to exchange info on the Auroras.
    My intent in quoting you in the above post was not to "zing" you. People on this thread like their Auroras, that is, depending on whose garage its parked in (i.e. yours or the dealer's).

Zinc was not calling any Aurora ugly, but was making a reference to the other cars in Olds recent line up. Did you really think a Cutlass, or Delta 88 looked sharp?? Maybe the Cutlass did in 1984 (the last year it changed its look) but not for the 90's.

The Aurora can't go anywhere except back to Caddie, the place it came from in the first place. But I doubt Cadillac would take it.

Finally, the 2K1 does look like a Taurus and the Classic looks like a Saturn on steriods.

That's Life!
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I would venture to say that Buick and Pontiac buyers do not have as high a standards for their 'machinery' as did the newest Olds buyers.

Pontiac fans are more turned on by body cladding and multi colored tail-lights than "true performance". Its an easy sell to push average cars on these buyers. Just make the cars look more like a Batmobile and make the exhaust louder. Throw a couple hood scoops on it while you're at it.

Buick fans are more interested in a comfortable cushy cruiser than in a vehicle that can match the world's best for vehicle dynamics or assembly quality. As long as they get a solid feeling car with a pushrod engine that makes no noise on its low rolling resistance tires...as long as the seats are as soft as the living room sofa.

In fairness to Buick, their vehicles are pretty solid and reliable.

Which is why Olds was unfortunate. Forced to seek new markets Olds had to court buyers used to higher standards. And they had to try to play at that higher level. GM just is not set up to do that and hence, Olds fell. But the Aler, Intrigue, and especially Aurora made their mark for being perhaps GM's best.

I don't think Buick or Pontiac will move to embrace any of Old's customers, because GM is

too stupid (they don't care if they lose that many vehicle sales)

and

they don't want to play on the higher ground with the Germans and Japanese.

In the meantime, the Aurora is perhaps GM's best. Albeit in 2k1 form not as distinctive as in the past but of a better quality and a bit too high pricetag.

I can't believe the Bonneville lives on.
    zinc: Wow, nice car. Perhaps it will be a Chevy or a Pontiac some day.

You know, if Pontiac would cool off on the cladding I might be a little more interested in their cars. The only one I like is the Grand Prix which somehow escaped the "clad".

As for the Aurora, Buick is most likely to get it, followed by Cadillac. I think it will be one of the last Oldsmobiles to die (if not the last). Perhaps if I'm lucky I can get one before they disappear.
    What is up with all the gray same sized buttons all over the interiors of Pontiacs?
    Nice picture Rex!

Now that would have been a nice looking car!

So Olds can make a car that loks good, they just don't do it that often.
  • I doubt cadillac or buick would want to pick up the aurora, that is a big part of olsmobiles demise, so I don't think they would have any desire to pick up a nameplate with negative baggage attached to it. the new model was not received well, and to keep it alive it would at least need some attractive desireable traits to have another division want it. the original aurora had something going for it, it was sexy and attactive in an unusual kind of way, but, they really blew it with the new one, it's just down right bad!!
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    da da da da da da da da
    da da da da da da da da
    da da da da da da da da

batman!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Is that a streched Sunfire?
  • dobie110: I solidly disagree with your statement
    about the "negative baggage" with the Aurora. The
    Aurora has quite the following. They sold many
    units of the 2k1 and Buick will gladly take the
    engineering diagrams and incorporate them into
    the buick line...When I look at the NEW Olds
    logo, it reminds me of quality and the solid feel
    I get when I drive my car. They made a good change
    to the line, but it was just too late. Competition
    got to stiff and Olds got the axe. The Aurora may
    die off, but the "idea" behind it will never die.
    GM has a good thing. They know it and they will
    use the "technique" in another GM car someday.
    Making concept a reality is a big thing these
    days. That's what works for Chrysler