Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• Why didn't gm get rid of buick first!! This line is nothing but a dying one with all the old folks that drive them!! They could have taken the new Rendevous and slapped on some Olds badges!! This would have increased the sales!! Why go through all of the trouble to make great reliable cars and then give them the ax? Oh well the bean counters have spoke!!
  • that's scary. It did take me more than 2 sec. to decipher which car was which. I am not bashing GM I have a '00 gm product just to let you know, but why can't they build some more exciting looking cars. I would never buy a chrysler, but, man, they have some great looking cars. aside of the corvette, and eldorado (and that design is old), gm has all mundane looking cars. ford is going through the same thing as GM, good cars, but they need a winner in the style dept. too.
  • robnisrobnis Posts: 78
    Maybe since Olds is going belly up, they can offer some big rebates of the Aurora at at least put back the orignial 4/50 warranty. I think I could be persuaded to buy one then!
  • Man, I can't take a day off from reading this thread without Henry acting up. First of all, to zinc1: I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way, I was just taking advantage of the set-up! Plus, I was merely trying to balance out the comments on the two cars' aesthetics. Most of the time you hear bad things about the 2K1's so my innocent joke had no one person in mind, definitely not zinc1 who sounds like a nice person. Second, Henry .... tsk-tsk-tsk ... did you not get enough hugs when you were little? Perhaps too many? Do me a favor and lay off, would you? As originally stated I'm only here to exchange info on Aurora's not Aurorians! You started it, I didn't and "Oldsmobile Aurora 2" is still around to prove it. You made assumptions and bad jokes, then didn't get it when _I_ made a joke. Let's just make this the last one-on-one since I doubt anyone is interested in this kind of activity. If you have something personal send it over to my personal address, it's listed.
    Zinc1: who's Stratos? is there another demetri here? take care.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I believe you responded to my first post without reading the second.

Such is life.

ZINC - I was wondering why so many new people were posting to this thread.

ANYBODY - Is there a way to make the type on this NEW AND IMPROVED board larger??
  • You can adjust the font size from your browser. In Internet Explorer 5, just select "Text Size" from the View Menu. I'm pretty sure Netscape would have a similar feature. This works for almost all web sites too, not just Edmunds.
    Has anyone ever had this happen?

I take my Classic in to the dealer and when he takes a code from the car, the code conditions always have me going faster than I actually was going. The computer has said I was driving as fast as 137 mph when the error code was registered. Now aside from Zinc1, I do not think of any us drive that fast. Certainly I was NOT doing 137 mph but the car thicks I was. Does this type of false speed indications have an effect on the car?

Please note, that these false speed readings predated my Caddie performace chip installation.

Henry

P.S. Thanks for the font advice.
  • Anyone have their struts/suspension worked on?

My '97 feels bouncy on the road, so I had the dealer
    check out the suspension. They said that the struts
    (all 4) were worn and needed replacement. They
    quoted me over $1k to replace them.

Is this common? Is this because of the auto-level?
  • This new system of messaging is weak. It's obtrusive and
    very annoying. It makes me "log" in so I can post a message,
    yet when I click on the log-in link, it says I am already
    logged in. *DUH* It's called a cookie and the old message
    board used them. Tell your message client to work out the
    kinks BEFORE they release the software to us users. Thanks...

*sigh*
    I replaced all four shocks/struts on my 95 Classic. However, I replaced the front struts with KYB structs for better performance in the curves (helped to minimize the body roll). I then replaced both load leveling shocks in the back. The car drives so much better now. I remember the rear GM shocks were over a hundred a piece. I cannot give you an exact price for the suspension job because both of my cars were done around the same time and I do not remember which numbers went with which car. I would just suggest that you try the KYB's in the front. I used the GM shocks in the back because every mechanic/store I went to said to stay with the factory shochs for the load leveling system. You can get regular shocks in the back and defeat the load leveling system. I chose not to do this since the load leveling was a featurte of the car that I paid good money to have.

Any word on what the new values on our Auroras are after the annoucement of the end of GM (I mean Oldsmobile)??

COMPUTER TIME AGAIN -- Now for another trip off topic -- Any suggestions on scanners/printers. My problem is that I need a scanner that will take legal size paper as a scanning source. All the "flatbed" scanners I have seen take only letter size paper. the only exception is XEROX. However, the Xerox scanner/printer does NOT scan in color. The best I have seen is the HP scanner/printer/copier that does great color, but not legal paper. The "fax style" scanners are not good since I may need to scan in pages from books. Any suggestions???
  • Heya...OK...Merry Christmas and all that politically incorrect
    stuff...Anyhow...Might I suggest HP for your scanner and LexMark
    for your printer.

HP makes the 4P scanner that is 11"x17". It's the only one I know
    that is GOOD and has QUALITY scans. The only problem is that it's
    not called the 4p anymore, so you will have to research it. I own
    it, but it's not the newest model. My colleague here bought a new
    HP and loves that it is 11"x17". I love mine because it is a
    QUALITY piece of hardware.

Lexmark makes an EXCELLENT line of printers. I have the Z52 Lexmark.
    What makes it unique is that you can purchase a special color ink
    cartridge that "reprograms" the printer so it prints PERFECT photos
    and the highest quality prints I've ever seen. The color cartridge
    that comes with it is "OK", but you need to get the high quality
    cartridge for the best prints. You really have to see it to understand

(The printer itself is a two cartridge printer. 1 color. 1 black)

(And it is inexpensive!)
    When you get the chance, post the link to your Aurora pae again. I bought a new computer and i need to get everything back again. For some reason all of the bookmarks in my browser did not transfer over.

VWBUS -- I tried to find the scanner you talked about, but no one had it, or knew what new model would have taken its place. I have decided to compromise on the HP G85 because it does everything I need, except for the legal sized scanner. I am just going to wait for the price to come down. This printer has a color fax in it that I do NOT NEED and don't want to pay for. They want $799.99 for the thing. I am sure by January- February, it will be cheaper. The XEROX is not a bad second choice for me. It's just that the machine itself looks flimsy (the Xerox is no 'Roara when it comes to consrtuction).

EVERYBODY -- I was told that the 4.0 northstar was in the seville SLS is this true???
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    The 4.0 liter V8 is unique to the Aurora only. The Seville SLS has a 275hp version of the 4.6 liter Northstar V8.
  • OK...Seems as if no one but Henry, Zinc and
    myself are writing to this group. Oh well...

I'll go off topic slightly and recommend to all
    of you Netscape/IE5.0+ users that you should
    save your bookmark/address book files often.
    You can do this by opening your bookmarks and
    choosing "Edit Bookmarks". A new window appears.
    In that window, click on "save as.." which is a
    submenu of "File". The same is similiar to address
    books as well.

Once you have saved your bookmarks and address
    books as actual FILES, they are now "copied".
    Save them to floppies or CD's. (Or on the web)

If you ever have a meltdown, you at least have
    these very important files backed up. I store my
    bookmarks and such on the web. If you ever need
    them, it's easy to download them! No more having
    to restore your bookmarks...

Nuff Said...
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Its just not the same. There is really no new blood in the intrigue thread either. Its kind of sad in a way and it is hard for me to be excited about olds products any more, when you now there will be no new products and no new options.
    I am beginning to wonder if there will even be any 2002 Oldsmobiles produced (bravada excluded).
    I am still checking in almost daily. Lets keep it going.
    I think the new format is putting up a lot of barriers and i think that we will see more interest after the holidays.
    The aurora so far has proven to be far less troublesome than the intrigue, which has multiple problems that do not appear to be solvable. Not major problems, just annoying.
    I for one always have troble finding the conference from the list of topics. I liked it better when they had numbers. I do not feel I should have to "go on the ritual hunt" [you Trekers know where that is from] every time I want to check the board. B-O-R-I-N-G!

VWBus -- thanks again for the computer info.

ZINC -- Have you noticed any change in the number of hits to your site since the olds annoucement was made?? ALSO, great work on the site, it just keeps getting better! I like the little car going across the top.
    Hmm, without new aROARas coming out, this may well become the maintenance board for the car. Looks like the joke made back on "Aurora 2" may come to be reality.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I think bz4 means the 2001 has had less problems off the start than the 98 Intrigue when it was launched. The 99+ Intrigues have been very good.
    Yep, I meant the new Auroras.
    Saw a 2001 Aurora 4.0 in silver with chrome wheels yesterday. It was drizzling but the sun was still out, it was really a dazzling looking car the way the sun was hitting it. Too little to late i guess.
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    what a shame. i really was "considering" a 2001 4.0. i have looked at/drove the acura tl(nice, but boring), the infiniti I30( a nice pkg, but a few quality issues), the lincoln LS (no storage, cheap looking interior, and yes a 99 caddy sts.

in the wash post, i saw the "pitty" warranty 5yrs/60k
  • 2001 Aurora Owners - Please tell me how you like your cars - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Any problems? Would you do it again? Does the no-more-Olds news affect your decision to "do it again"?

Thanks, John
  • Hello,
    I've read through "AURORA 1,2,&3, but its like walking into the middle of a long conversation. Can anyone tell me if I shuold buy a 98' aurora i'm looking at on a car lot. It has the V-8 and the other few options. Seems like a great looking car but have yet to drive it, don't want to look to star struck. Any tips as to what I should be looking for, would be greatly appreciated.
  • etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    I think it was Robnis or someone who was considering an Aurora, but didn't like the shorter warranty on the 2001s. For now(I don't know how long they will be doing it) Oldsmobile is giving you 5 years and 60,000 miles. That better than Cadillac's warranty. I don't know if they are offering it yet, but I'd say soon you will be able to get a 2001 with 0.9% financing. If anyone is conseidering a new Aurora right now, I'd say go for it. Sure, the Olds brand will be gone soon, but any Cadillac dealer will be able to service the Aurora with no problem and parts will always be available.
  • Does anyone know the particulars of this promotion? The Olds website does not provide any details.

Thanks, John
    I don't get it, I made a detailed posting of things to look for and it is not here now. Oh well, I guess i am left with just agreeing with Zinc.

I ain't gonna post it again.

H - N - Y.

Sorry
    Could someone please explain to me why the location of this topic keeps moving????
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    The Sedans topics and the other groups are sorted by "last posted to".. so the most recently posted to topics appear at the tops of the lists. I think you can change this in your preferences.
  • I recently purchased a 97 Aurora with approx. 45K miles and have started having a couple of problems. First, when I put the car in reverse, it makes a loud grinding sound when I start backing up. It doesn't happen every time -usually only when I'm driving clients to lunch...

Secondly, the brakes pulsate very noticeably when I apply pressure to them. The pulsating is usually worse when the car has not fully warmed up but never fully goes away. I recently had the brakes checked and they are wearing well and nothing out of the ordinary was reported.

Am I uniquely lucky with these problems or are there other sufferers out there?

Thanks - Paul
  • Grinding noise.... possibly the load leveling shocks.

Pulsating brakes.... my dad had this problem on his 97. check the rotors. they may be warped or need to turned. if you see anything but a clean silverish surface on the rotor, they are no good/need turning. to see if they are warped, take them to a mechanic.