Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    After searching the NHTSA database, I was not able to find any references to open investigations on the engine cradle or ISS (Or for any other GM sedan).

If you take a look at the complaints database, the 2001 Impala only has one entry related to the engine cradle. This entry talks about vibrations felt specially when making turns and the dealer has replaced the cradle several times with no results.

When you dig deep down in these databases once can find a wide array of responses and problems. Often, inept and plain bad dealerships are unable to properly troubleshoot problems, replace numerous unrelated parts galore and typically make the problem worse or help generate other issues.

Interesting to point out that NHTSA currently has an open investigation into possible engine fires involving new Toyota Sienna minivans....not even the mighty Asians can escape serious safety issues.

There is also only one investigation involving the 2000 Impala in regards to sudden engine shutdowns. The investigation was closed back in February of 2000.

The cradle is more an annoyance than a safety problem. But regardless, who wants to put up with a creaky and noisy "New" car??

The frequency of engine cradle related complaints has minimized considerably for the 2001 model year based on the NHTSA data. This soesn't mean the problem has been erradicated, but rather that cradle related issues are less frequent and far in between.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Congrats! I called the service director and left a message about the Bushings, I asked him to ask the front end guy, (they are familiar with "me" and my "cars" on a first name basis) I do not know if they are something that you can see that are broken or not? I would think you can see them in place? Don
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The cone hit and tore up the drivers side front qtr. Really did a number on it. I was going about 70 or so when I hit it. The only thing I can figure is the base of those cones are pretty hard. I hit it with the front tire, so it probably shot it like a projectile directly into the quarter panel. The guy at the body shop was pretty shocked from the amount of damage as well.

On another note. I was bored today so I checked out the local library and found "Roger and ME". Just got done watching it. I found it to be pretty interesting. I was in high school in northern Indiana at the time, but I sure don't remember that plant closing and all the hoopla that circled around it. I was probably to busy chasing skirts.
  • Options
    The cradle may not be a safety issue, but I would think a steering shaft would be. I'm surprised that isn't on there.
    I mean, if the lubrication dries or leaks out over time, which appears to be the reason for the ISS clunk, then continued use of the defective part could lead to steering failure.
    Now, obviously, most dealers are installing replacements. However, they eventually fail too. Considering that GM has come up with a temporary fix involving drilling and re-lubricating the existing shafts, you'd think they would at least release an official TSB. I have a feeling they don't want to admit to any problem with the ISS, officially, as they would be admitting liability for possible future lawsuits and recalls involving the ISS or any steering problem, probably.
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    You made some reference about 40 posts back (#6914) to a loose strut.

A while ago, I had a slight vibration at high speed shortly after having rotated the tires but NOT having rotated in the prescribed fashion. The Chevy mechanic found that the front wheels were slightly out of balance and one of the nuts on the top of one of the front WHEEL struts was not tightened to the proper torque. Said he had seen the same thing on several other cars.

This may be of interest to others if they feel high speed vibration or hear clunks at low speed when going over "speed bumps" on parking lots. They were my symptoms of the wheel strut problem which was simply and quickly resolved by a very competent mechanic.
  • Options
    bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    I received a letter from Chevy today as a response to my less than perfect answers on the customer satisfaction survey ( the one I had about 4 letters or postcards from the dealer instructing me to give them all 4's or to call them on). Needless to say they(dealer) had already resolved my complaints (just not as quickly or efficiently as they should have). I 'm kind of glad to see that Chevy is at least giving me some support - wanting my car experience to go
    well- call this 1-800 # if you have anything else blah blah blah. It's encouraging that I at the least got a letter in response to the survey. To be fair they say they tried to call but I don't answer the phone on "Caller Unknown" in the caller ID
  • Options
    gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    My apologies if this has already been posted

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/Nov2001/articles/steeringshaft.html
  • Options
    phollanphollan Member Posts: 14
    I have been having front end noises for a few months on my '01 LS (build date 2/01). After 3 visits to the selling dealer out of town, I set up an appointment for today at a dealer nearby. Within an hour and a half they called to let me know they found the problem, but would have to order the parts.

When I talked to the service manager, he said it was cracked cradle bushings. So in a few days I should find out if this is it. I'm even more encouraged to find Teo's sister's car had the same diagnosis, and appears to be fixed.

Anyway, I was given a slip of paper with the part numbers. There are two each of 10402881 and 10402883.

And to bdime, I had Chevy call me about my answers to an earlier survey reply. I don't pick up "unknown" calls either, but they started talking to the answering machine. They seem very interested in making sure these things are taken care of, and that's great.
  • Options
    No mention of drilling/retrofitting grease fitting or replacement part.
  • Options
    macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    I downloaded the entire contents of the site that has all the GM TSB's. Knowing Geocities deletes sites for no good reason whatsoever, I figured I'd better grab everything before it disappears. If the site does disappear, let me know.
  • Options
    macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    A Canadian judge has ruled that a paint job on a car should last for 15 years:

http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/12/12/Consumers/paintjob_011212

I don't think that any Impala owners have reported paint delamination, but this ruling sets a precedent for other vehicle owners with crummy paint.

• Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    If a Canadian judge has ruled that a paint job on a car should last for 15 years, then it doesn't necessary mean that it's enforceable in the US.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Hardly the manufacturers will use different paint for cars to be sold on American market.
  • Options
    I am losing a little faith in my selling dealer, I remember when I bought my car they kept saying "Make Sure when you get your Survey to answer question #4" or what ever question, kinda like who cares about the other 16 or so, just answer faorable towards us on this one question, I finally asked why and the lady said it has to do with the newer GM ordering guidelines, I geuss if they get "X" amount of Positive responses to this one question, it enables them to purchase the most desirable vehicles for their lot from GM to have in stock, But this place had a great thing going, they were $49 over invoice everyday regardless of the unit (except Corvettes) and now I read in the paper they charge Advertisment Fees on top of that, I think it was around $200 for an Impala and a Whopping $550 for the Avalanche, think of that the next time you see a TV Commercial or an ad in a magazine, that is paid for by the comsumer,(I know some places are negotable, but not all) That is why I am glad I got the Big Impala Framed hardboard Posters off the Walls of the dealership for the last 2 years, The salesman of my '00 LS gets them for me, I asked a different salesman for a Corvette Poster and he said they are just borrowed and sent back to the ad agency...yea right.....sent to the dumpster or his place or ebay.... figure If I had to pay Ad fee I am getting some Impala ads... and a Bazillion Brochures... ha ha Don
  • Options
    caslcasl Member Posts: 33
    Lately I've noticed that when the self dimming feature on my rearview mirror is on, it doesn't go all the way to the edges of the mirror anymore. My son commented the other day that it looked like I had a blue stain in the middle of the mirror (that's where the self dimming is still working). Anyone know why this is happening?
  • Options
    Perhaps the Photocell that is sandwiched in the mirror assembly itself has gotten damaged for some unknown reason. Unless the whole rear view mirror was struck against something, I would say that that it perhaps needs replacement under warranty. Before you do that however, make sure that the two light sensor (one in front and one in back of the mirror assembly, little holes) are clean and free from dirt. Also check and make sure the power/data cable (Coming from the overhead DIC assembly in the ceiling) is properly connected to the back of the mirror.

Another thing that can damage these mirrors is when during cleaning, excessive pressure is applied on the mirror itself, thus damaging the photocell inside of it.

Have the dealer check it and replace it if necessary...not a big deal.
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I had aked about 2 months ago if anyone had any issues with there ignition. For the second time, my ignition has locked up, and you can't turn the key to start the car. I am waiting for a tow to bring it back to the dealer that fixed it, but I paid over $600 to fix a problem that seems to be there still... I'll keep you posted
  • Options
    The only W-body cars missing from that list are the Buick Century and the Pontiac Grand Prix. I know that the Pontiac Grand Prix GT and GTP come equipped with the 'Magnasteer' steering system, that probably has a totally different ISS part or set of components. The Buick Century and Pontiac Grand Prix SE come equipped with the 3.1L OHV V6 engine....does this mean that these cars have a different ISS or maybe doesn't have one at all?

Also missing from that list are the N-body cars, the Pontiac Grand AM, Oldsmobile Alero and Chevy Malibu, all of which use either the same 3.1L V6 or 3.4L OHV V6 in the Alero/Grand AM (And Impala Base sedan).

According to the bulleting virtually every other GM midsize and full size sedan (Also the J-body cars)may experience ISS related clunks. It seems that some ex-Impala owners that escaped to cars such as the Buick Regal and Pontiac Bonneville after all, likely will have to deal with the same ISS issues they had with their Impalas!

After reading this tecnical bulleting heads up, I have the following questions:

1) Will every single car on that list ever experience the problem?

2)Is the ISS' lack of sufficient lubrication caused by a inherit design defect or simply the part supplier did not put the required amount of lubricant/grease on each new ISS??

3)Does the ISS lubricant "Dries out" with use, does it get burn or it simply leaks thru an opening in the yoke assembly?

4) Will this be a permanent fix or simply a "band-aid" until GM can come up with a new redesigned ISS part?

I remember reading in the Olds Intrigue forum that GM had issued a "revised" ISS part some time ago, but going by this TSB heads up it looks like the Intrigue's ISS revision did not solve anything.

Night_owl, what's your technical perspective in regards to this ISS "Fix"?
  • Options
    No ignition related problems or issues to report here.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Have any of you Impala owners dealt with the ISS issue after expiration of your warranty? My 2000 Bonneville SE has begun to show possible signs of the malady at 40K. Will have to go to the service window with printouts of the Tech Bulletin in hand when I go for service eventually.

Ken
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I posted this fix on my site last month. After looking at my service manual, I don't see a problem with this fix. I am not too keen on installing a zerk fitting on the ISS. This would involve drilling and tapping a hole into the ISS. This could create a weak spot. On top of that, I'm not sure you could get to it, considering where the ISS is located. I believe it's just a case of insufficient lubrication at the factory. I'll take a better look at it when I get home today and break out the service manual.

p.s. I covered the info that is in the other links you posted on my site also. =)
  • Options
    But...does the ISS TSB repair involve drilling a hole to pump in the lubricant??
  • Options
    This is the description I recieved when I picked the car up:

Plastic bottom body in lock cylinder of ignition switch having plastic flashing falling down and preventing key from going all the way into the housing. Instal key, Impact key and lube cylinder 10 times. Verify repair. ok.

The service manager said it is a common problem on one of the Cadillac models (de ville I think). This seems to fix it for now (I hope). they took car of it all under warrenty from first fix.
  • Options
    I had my ISS replaced at 46000 miles under warranty. You may have to find a dealer that will do it for you no charge. The dealer I took mine to said they had some discretionary ability if it is a common problem.
  • Options
    The service manager told me that they could do a PCM update no charge (52000 miles). He also said something about an 8/80 warranty on the computer, and a few other things. I wasn't really listening, I was just happy they would do my update for free, and I can get rid of the chuggling.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You already have 40K on your Bonneville? It seems like you just bought it. Time sure does fly.
  • Options
    What's chuggling?
  • Options
    Chuggling: When you start the car up, go a short distance, stop to pull out into the street, and your car falls flat on it's face.

Basically severe hesitation that only happens intermitenly
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks like a "driver" to me.
  • Options
    Even if you fixed the sheetmetal, the frame is gonna be warped. Best bet is to part out the car.
  • Options
    There is no TSB on this yet. The fix as described doesn't require you to drill any hole. Take a look at the drawing on my site. Its in the How To section, marked with the "New" icon.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

The ISS is a telescopic shaft and there is a hole in the end already. The syringe is only used to get the grease in there. You could use a grease gun or get a tube of grease that comes in a toothpaste-like tube. So you inject the grease into the opening of the yoke on the right side of the ISS (I am referring to the drawing on my page). Then you use the rubber stopper that comes with the kit (or something similar) and collapse and extend the shaft a couple of times. This will distribute the grease.

I looked at my manual. There is no way you can access the ISS without removing it from the car. So installing a zerk fitting really won't help. If you guys wanted to see what it looks like on the car, I can post some photos of it later.

• Options
    Thanks for the clarification Nathan. If you can post pictures of the actual shaft, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    thanks for the note on post wty ISS fix. I'll have to get into the dealer at some point and see what they'll do for me.

I've put 23K on my car since buying it in Jan when it had 18K on it already. Sure was quick getting to 40k - and now 60k is only a year away.

Ken
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    What a project car! Fix the rear like it says and make DOUBLY sure the frame is straight, THEN:
    Paint it Marina Blue, Black interior, Digital Dash, Silver Ground Effects, Camaro 17' Wheels, Replace the power train with the Cadillac Northstar system, 3' duals out of 50 Flowmasters. Killer Audio and Video systems.

One can dream.
  • Options
    Fix a car with frame damage? Yeah right..
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    It is definitely possible technically to fix a frame damage.

However, it takes unusually high skills and substantial experience to do it properly. With American labor costs it would not pay. The cost of parts probably also would be prohibitive.
  • Options
    It is extremely difficult to try to sell a car with frame damage...been there done that.
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Depends on type of frame, body structure, and how the repair is made.It wouldn't be cheap, but nothing worth doing well is.
  • Options
    People can't even get minor things repaired correctly on their Impalas, let alone frame damage. Then again, it wouldn't be done by dealer techs, but by actual professional, trained, and experienced collision experts.
    I can just imagine that car in a dealer service dept. "We plugged in the computer and couldn't find any codes. It's running per specification" Even better, "All the Impala rear ends look like that."
  • Options
    If you look at the photo of the damaged impala you will see that the rear door is damaged too.
    I think the seller is not being totally upfront.
  • Options
    Ah. But the rear glass is OK! Weird. The glass is apparently stronger than the sheet metal.
  • Options
    they too admit there is some "clunk" when turning Left, (I also felt it on acceleration once or twice) and they ordered the ISS "Lube Kit". I am leaning more towards a ISS problem,than a Cradle problem at this point, But will wait for the the other dealer to update me in Jan,Feb or March on what he percieves to be the Cradle, They never mentioned the Lube Kit at the time and I didn't mention it as it was new info a few weeks ago, Today they also fixed the Ashtray slider, Don't smoke but it got stuck halfway out and went back in but did not fully come all the way out, they just re-installed it and I have access to the Lighter Ports... On the Green hubcaps, they said to wait and see if they improve them mid year as far as total coverage of Silver Paint, I said they ordered me a New Replacment set on day one and when they came in they were worse than the ones on my New car already and sent them back,We then Swapped them with (4) 2002 Hubcaps and now 3 months later they are equally a Putrid. I may call and get a File number as it seems they could blame it me using Acid wheel cleaner, (I never did and use a Lambs wool mit to carefully clean them) He wrote on my recipt "green stains on wheels" but they are not staind, more like not Painted Right. I am tired of playing with these cars, I am going to concentrate on the Holidays coming up. Don

WOOO HOOO Post # 7000!!!!
  • Options
    Crumple zones?