Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    When I talked to the Svc Director about the Shim Fix, he said it only lasts until the shims wear out??. I geuss if there is any movement, then the Shims move too, or limit movement (never really stops?) until they too wear and start moving and the noises return? He told me of GM working on a plan for these newer and older for that matter cradles and the inherit noises,pops etc, and said sometime in the new year GM and the Aluminum Cradle Company "Plant Leasions" (Actual mechanics with experience working on these cars in conjunction with designers) hope to come up with something for this tiring quagmire. He got this from calling the GM Service Headquartes in Detriot about my Base '01 making noises around 3k miles over a month ago...... Don
  • Options
    bob1951bob1951 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have a copy of the ISS Technical Service Bulletin #01-02-32-001A?
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    looked at plenty of new cars & trucks today.

GM had the silver Impala LS Sport there. The car's rear tail light treatment looks better in person than in pics IMHO.

We chatted with some folks that over heard us talking about the LS Sport and some of the differences from our 2K Impala to the 2002 cars.

Of all the cars that my wife sat in to see how they "felt" she like the C class Benz sedan the best. And it's a RWD car too!
  • Options
    There's actually a TSB topic here in Town Hall. You post with the make, model, year, and TSB number. Some guy answers with the full TSB. Very cool.
    I forget the exact name of the topic. You can do a search for "bulletin" or "TSB" or something. You'll find it.
  • Options
    woo_bywoo_by Member Posts: 28
    price and reviews...:)
    tirerack.com had it for $49 a tire
    and the list of reviews on their site for the sz50's was impressive! -> mainly users commented on the incredible grip on the road...
  • Options
    shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    Most of you seem to be in warm climates but I live in the vastness of North Dakota where the winters can get a little cold.

When I have my heat on (floor only), I get quite a bit of air from the dash vents. Enought to feel it blowing on me and get my headlight switch hot. Anyone else have this? Doesn't seem quite right to me so I plan on taking it in anyhow, I'm just curious.

Thanx
  • Options
    lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    Hope you all have a happy new year celebration but don't be drinking and driving those Impala's around. Designate a driver or take a cab to the party. Or you could do as I have to and work all night on the graveyard shift.
    Have a good time.
    LRCobra
    aka:Silver Bullet
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    My Imp today has 8.5K miles and ZERO problems. The Car is exactly 8 months and 6 days old today...
  • Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I was driving at night on an old two lane road and every 2 seconds having to switch between high and low beams. Made me think, they did such a good job with bringing back the ignition in the dasboard, I really wish they would put the dimmer switch back on the floor too! Its not like we need the other foor for the clutch or anything, so why not?

Happy New Year!
    gw
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Right in my own home town in Maine - as part of the Olympic Torch Relay Team parade of Chevrolets that preceeds the torch runner.

We were fortunate to see the flame go by just a mile from our house. Actually the parade of 'Official Team Sponsor' Chevies was every bit as impressive! They had an Avalanche, the Silverado 1500 crew cab, the Silver Impala LS Sport, a bright yellow Monte Carlo, a Corvette (is it Z06???), a couple Trailblazers and a pair of vans configured like airport shuttles to carry the team of torch bearers. Quite a sight!

Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2002 for all Impalaphiles!

Ken
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    All GM cars have flow through ventilation. So there is always outside air coming through. There may be a few instances when it is not but i am not sure what those are.
  • Options
    What your resolutions will be?
  • Options
    blueheartblueheart Member Posts: 24
    My you all have the health you need to enjoy you Impala. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I was over reading the GM daytime running lights discussion. Some serious GM bashing going on.

dranoel "GM petitions for mandatory daytime running lights" Dec 31, 2001 6:38pm
  • Options
    mcland1mcland1 Member Posts: 2
    Own Impala for over 2 years now. 2000 LS loaded. Great car, much better then any Honda, Toyota or Ford. Why, just the right mix, it's the best driver's car in its class. Goes fast, brakes well. Roomy inside, five stars, big trunk, folding rear seats.

I like to drive decisively. From A to B ASAP without annoying anybody on my way. Problem is that all 2000 Impalas have cradle "flexing". GM says its not a problem, at least not a safety problem. Well, it's a matter of opinion. Try to go over 75. Steering wheel shaking, vehicle not feeling solid.

Overall impression - great vehicle for most people, but if you can afford more, spend more. If you have to stay within the $25K limit, then there is no better choice as long as you do not go over excessively the speed limit.
  • Options
    "Try to go over 75. Steering wheel shaking, vehicle not feeling solid."

The engine cradle has nothing to do with vibrations felt at the steering wheel at highway speeds. Rather, tires that are totally out of balance are the most common cause of vibrations symptoms at high speeds. Other causes could be tires with the improper amount of air pressure, tires out of round, suspension components worn out (Shocks, struts, etc), tires that have failed to be properly rotated at the required intervals, damaged tire rims or a car that has not been aligned properly at the 4 wheels.

As you can see there is a host of causes behind the vibration which are totally unrelated to the engine cradle.

The engine cradle makes clicking noises when turning the front wheels at low speeds. If you also feel clunks and steering looseness the Intermediate Steering Shaft is another known cause for these symptoms.

Trust me, the Impala is an extremely solid built car free from body flexing or other noises. I have taken mine to 105 MPH with zero vibrations and no problems...car feels on rails!.

My suggestion is to have your car's tires checked for the problems listed above. Your 75MPH steering wheel vibrations are NOT cradle related.
  • Options
    Looks like you beat me to the first post of 2002.

Happy New Year to all the impalans!
  • Options
    My impala turns 7 months old today. 12,500 miles already. Lots of miles. No problems to report so far, but i did smell antifreeze yesterday morning. Could not find any leaks but my curiousity is definitely up.
    Haven't installed a new tire yet. Still riding on the spare. Time for another oil change and a tire rotation.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    My 2000 Impala LS has about 12K miles on it. I've been driving this car for 10 months. I have to admit, the Impala has exceeded my expectation. I thoroughly enjoy every mile on this vehicle. It's such a fun, smooth, comfortable driving machine. zoom zoom!

As of today, absolutely no problem. No cradle issue or the ISS. However, I do get very slight hestitation going at the speed of 10-15 mph. This happens only in early morning when the engine is cold. The ocurrence is maybe once a month. No big deal to me since I warm the engine up before driving to work in the morning. Good to know that there is a PCM software upgrade for it. Will take it in on the next oil change.

Originally, I bought the Impala because I accumulated $3,700 in GM Card points. I never intended to buy GM products when I had my GM Card. I've always been a big fan of foreign cars. I hated domestic cars due to quality image.
    Since I was in the market for a new car, I didn't want to waste my points. The only two vehicles on my domestic short list was the Impala and Tahoe. At the time when fuel was $2 per gallon, I ditched the idea of getting a Tahoe.

Here I am today, happy as hell for picking the Impala LS. In fact, my LS drives lot better than my previous Accord. The LS also drives better than my father's Camry, and my sister's Q45.

GM has a crown jewel on this baby. They should practice Kaizen (continous improvements) and furhter enchance the quality and appearance on this already fine vehicle without the increase in cost.

My wish list (in no particular order):
    1) Bigger glove compartment.
    2) Reduce the size of the rear view mirror for better front view.
    3) Of course, MORE HP!
    4) Quiter engine at startup. I hate the "clank" sound of the engine when turning the ignition.
    5) Improve on the leather. Mine is cheesy. What's up with half leather and half vinyl?
    6) Moonroof should be standard on LS....at least for the west coast region. Honda has EX package that includes moonroof (take it or leave it).
    7) Optional 17" wheels
    8) Color match side moldings. I hate those black moldings! Uggh!

Oh, the rear light treatment has grown on me. I really like it now! It definitely looks different. Perhaps, they can make better use of the other 2 round lights (reverse lights). Have ALL 4 round lights lite up when applying the brakes.

That's about it! I'm not asking for much since the car is already great!

Happy New Year to all!!
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The audience for this car does NOT want a MANDATORY sunroof. Quite frankly, if a sunroof were mandatory, I would not have bought the car.

Why do you want to insist that others pay for that which you but not they want?
  • Options
    this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    "I like to drive decisively. From A to B ASAP without annoying anybody on my way. Problem is that all 2000 Impalas have cradle "flexing". GM says its not a problem, at least not a safety problem. Well, it's a matter of opinion. Try to go over 75. Steering wheel shaking, vehicle not feeling solid."

I suggest you get your Impala into the shop and have the front end alligned or the tires balanced. There's no way the cradel is responsible for what you're having. I regullary drive my 2000 Impala at 90-95 and max out to 107 on occasion and the car is solid as a rock.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    If you're lurking on this site can you drop me an email please? Hunterdano@aol.com Merci!
  • Options
    have you guys seen the GM "Overdrive" commercial?
    The CTS and other caddy's are prominently displayed as are the new Chevrolet SSR.
    "I'm your vehicle baby" is the backgorund music.
    Much more upbeat than the normal GM commercial.
  • Options
    B4z::: Happy new year!

No I haven't seen the new GM commercial.

In regards to your antifreeze smell, have you checked for leaks under the car? Is the coolant level at the reservoir normal?

Yep, I would have the car checked just in case.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Ok, here's a new one. I was washing my car yesterday and broke out the 0000 steel wool to take care of the windshield wiper streaks. As the blades get old, they leave residue on the glass. I noticed it a while back but never got around to cleaning it off. Well, looks like the blades actually wore away the glass, leaving small grooves. I guess sometime this year I'll take the car down to the dealer and have them polish the glass or replace it.

That being said, has anyone tried the PIAA silicone wipers?
  • Options
    Wiper refill blades should be replaced at least every 6 months. I will have mines replaced on the next oil change.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The wiper blade inserts cost $3 (or $2?) at Pep Boys, $6 for pair, and it tooks about 2 minutes to replace them with a pair of pliers. Or you can buy complete wiper blades for $7, $14 for pair, and replace in 30 seconds without any tools.
  • Options
    How can you rise the wiper arms in the Impala without having to open the hood?
  • Options
    If the selector is set to floor only, than nothing should be eminating from the dash vents, regardless of flow thru.
  • Options
    Do not know about Impala. With Regal and Malibu it is turn ignition. Not necessary "On" to start engine, but as to let radio, etc. to work from accumulators. If I remember right, with Malibu it is one click of ignition key, while with Regal have to turn ignition key to other side.

Than start wipers, and when they are pointing vertically, turn fast ignition "Off". The wipers would stick on the windsheld: could not retract without electrical power.
  • Options
    Thanks Yurakm!
  • Options
    You are welcome!

The last time when I checked, there were 3 brands of wipers available at Pep Boys. The own brand, Bosch, and Trico "Exact Fit", or "Perfect Match" or something of this kind. The Trico wipers are in dark-red or reddish-brown packages.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/new/

I used Bosch, but later switched to Trico: they are better and more convenient to replace. I believe also, that it is Trico who produces the OEM GM wipers: the same design.

Buick Regal uses 22 inch long blades; the model 220-1 if I remember right. Probably Impala uses the same.

220 means the blades are 22 inch long, 1 is the first modification. There are 4 modifications of the Trico blades, for different fasteners. Regal and Malibu use hooks.

There is a thick handbook in the wiper asle at Pep Boys, listing what size and modification of the wipers (and inserts) fit different makes, year and models of car.

The first time I spent probably 10 minutes to find the book, to find the size and type of blades in the book, and to find them on the shelf. Plus 5 minutes to understand "how to"... The next times it took seconds, except waiting for cashiers.

Put a paper towel under the wiper arms when removing old wiper baldes, as a precation to not scratching windshield.
  • Options
    9 months of usage. Approx. 7500 miles.
    - Loose drivers seat
    - Uneven and Rough idle
    - Intermittant Auto Door Locks
    - Poor Radio Reception and Rear Defroster
    - New. This just in. Pulsating steering wheel and brake pedal when applying medium pedal pressure at highway speeds.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The blades still wipe the window clean, it's just the grooves in the glass that bothered me. I also use Rain-X, which is really neat. I just read about the PIAA wipers and wondered if anyone tried them out yet.
  • Options
    Sounds like warped rotors.
  • Options
    You guys probably aren't going to beleive me, but i got 9 years out of a set of blades.
    This was when my Camaro was always garaged and I kept RainX on it.
    With the RainX, I hardly used the wipers and since we have pretty good weather down here they were hardly used.
    They finally just fell off, when the rubber disintegrated.
    The wipers on my impala are already starting to do funky things.
  • Options
    For safety, it is recommended to replace the wiper blades every 6 months or so. Its cheap, easy and the safety and visibility benefits are tangible.

If your "new" Impala is over six months old, head over to your nearest "Pep Boys" auto store and get some Trico OEM wiper refills.

Gary: It sounds like your dealer has been overtorquing your wheels. I have close to 9K on my Impala and I have no vibrations at the steering wheel from any speed when I apply medium to full pressure to the brake pedal. I always request the dealer mechanic to torque the wheels by hand to 100 pounds of torque as per specification....and no problems so far.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Back when I had my SVT Contour I replaced the stock Goodyear Eagle GSC's with Firehawk SZ50s. The SZs are great performance tires. Far superior to the Eagles. I got about 35k out of the GSC's and was told by TireRack that the SZs would last a lot longer. Unfortunately the SZ's were bald after 20k (6mos of mainly highway miles). That was my only complaint with them. Watch tire wear and try not to use them in the winter, they're useless. Anytime there was over an inch of snow on the road, I could let the clutch out with out touching the gas and sit still while the front wheels were spinning (even while new). I ended up replacing the SZs with BFGoodrich Comp T/As, once again no comparison, but they were better in snow and last alot longer. I can't even imagine the difference between the SZ and the General TigerPaws, must feel like the car is attached to rails in comparison.
  • Options
    impalay2k_mimpalay2k_m Member Posts: 10
    Happy New Years everyone!!

Boy oh boy..up here in Canada, (at least in my area we have not gotten any SNOW! )

Our family has a '00 Impala LS with about 25000km on it. Everything has been pretty good until recently. Some of the dreaded bugs of the first year model is starting to show up!

1) Whenever I turn left I feel a clunking/vibration. And for some reason, I feel this vibration more when I am accelerating or going slow. Could this be the ISS issue? or the cradle?

2) I have seen some of the previous posts on the BAD AMP issues that plagued the '00 Impalas. I have the 104 amp and I'm in the process of trying to get the dealer to put in the 103 amp that has better bass.
    I've cited some of the documents on here stating how others have gotten their dealers to change the amp. But my dealer (Applewood Chev/Olds) is giving me the run around saying that "GM USA" is different from "GM CANADA" and that the policies in replacing parts is different!
    Can someone help me convince my dealer or GM Canada to do something about the subpar sound that this amp is producing??
    I was wondering if any Canadians in here successfuly gotten their bad AMPS replaced??

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I kind of thought it might be the rotors beginning to warp. It's not bad yet. But, I have a feeling it will get worse, especially with the above average amount of rotor warping I've read about on the Impala.
    I know it's not nearly as bad as the Malibu, but it does seem a little bit higher than normal.
    Another thing I've noticed is when I'm coming to a stop, when the wheels are moving slowly right before the complete stop, I can hear a fluctuation in the pitch, and feel a slight diffence in pressure, from the pads as they rub against the rotors.
    It's reallllllllll subtle, but it's there.
  • Options
    Has anybody else had the following problems? I know that I have mentioned them before and that a few of you have already responded, or have even emailed me directly, and I thank you. But, I'm hoping to get your responses relatively close together on the forum, so I can copy, paste, and print relatively easily. I would like to take the printout with me to demonstate that I'm not the only one, and that these are real problems. Hopefully, I can finally get this taken care of! :-)

-Loose driver's seat track.
    -Uneven and/or rough idling.
    -Intermittent auto door locks.
    -Poor radio reception.
    -Loud Snapping/Popping from dash area during summer months. (Sounds like stone hitting windshield.)
    -Pulsating/vibrating brake pedal and steering wheel when applying brakes moderately at higher speeds.
    -AC taking a long time to adequately cool the car when the outside temp is above 90 degrees.

Feel free to email me at gpenovich@hotmail.com directly, as well, if you wish.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I have that loud popping in the summer. It scared the crap outta me the first time I heard it. It is very loud. I was also thinking baout the A/C taking awhile to cool things down. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but my girlfriend commented on it also. So I guess thats 2 things I can confirm with your problems.
  • Options
    shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    My thoughts exactly. As soon as I get some time off work, I will head to the Chevy Dealer. Last time I was there, I was armed with all the info from here to have my amplifier replaced. I'm sure they will be happy to see me again!
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    -Uneven and/or rough idling.
    -Intermittent auto door locks.
    -Pulsating/vibrating brake pedal and steering wheel when applying brakes moderately at higher speeds.
    -AC taking a long time to adequately cool the car when the outside temp is above 90 degrees.

I have experienced those 4. I just had the PCM update, and I no longer have intermitent hesitation. I do get a power surge now though, has anyone else had that happen? You are accelerating just enough so the car doesn't have to downshift, and the tach jumps, like the engine is surging forward (minor bucking).

I have a black Imp, I have to believe if it is 90 degrees outside, the inside must be atleast 110. It would take any AC time to cool that down. I do feel the AC is a liitle under powered though.
  • Options
    A/C's definitely aren't as good as they used to be. My intrigue's was about the same as the impala's. There is almost no instance in the summertime when i can run it on the lowest setting. It always needs to be on #2. And i don't like the blower noise.

What i do to help with things is once the car starts to cool down i turn it to recirc, so that i am not trying to cool the outside air, just the air that is inside the car. It helps a lot.
  • Options
    Loose driver's seat track?. Nope, my car was built during 4/01 and I have the new non-adjustable seat tracks. The seat is steady as a rock and no problems even under hard braking or acceleration.
    -Uneven and/or rough idling.? Nope. I use Chevron 89 Octane Supreme and no problems with idle or performance.
    -Intermittent auto door locks.? Not a problem here either. Door locks operate normally at this time.
    -Poor radio reception.? Radio antenna engraved in the rear glass, do I need to say more? The 3 or 4 stations that I listen to come in strong, so no problem here either.
    -Loud Snapping/Popping from dash area during summer months. (Sounds like stone hitting windshield.)? Easily solved by the dealer by greasing the holding plastic tabs. Mine did it for the first two months and it stopped after that, no longer an issue.
    -Pulsating/vibrating brake pedal and steering wheel when applying brakes moderately at higher speeds?. Not a single problem here. Applying slight brake pressure say at 70MPH or 90MPH does not transmit any vibration to the steering wheel. Brakes are quite after 9K hard drivem miles. During each tire rotation I request the dealer to tighten the wheel nuts BY HAND (Not using the impact wrench) to 100 pounds feet of torque to avoid damage to the rotors. No rpoblems here either.
    -AC taking a long time to adequately cool the car when the outside temp is above 90 degrees?. Well I live in hot and muggy South Florida where summer temperatures (Even unti a few days ago) were hitting high 80's and even into the low 100's. My A/C cools down the car very quickly and efficiently in about 5 minutes or less, no problems in that area either. Remember that 134a based car A/C systems are not nearly as good as the R-12 systems before 1994. I suspect you have a slow freon leak somewhere in the high pressure pipeline (Rubbing against something) and therefore the reduced performance of your A/C system. If your dealer has a competent refrigeration mechanic, they can easily spot a bad/rubbing line that has developed a slow leak. No problems in this area and quite satisfied with the performance of the A/C which beats the weak and lousy A/C's found in the Honda Accord.

My 2001 LS has 9K+ plus troublefree miles and has a build date of 4/01.
  • Options
    blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    After 13 months and 27K miles, my Impala has been trouble free, aside from the bad amp and warped rotors. Dealer replaced the amp. Mileage is good, ride solid, a great road car.

Dealer repaired rotors last week. He said they were required to machine them if they had nothing done to them previously. He made it sound like if they warped again, that they would replace them. The machining cured the vibration during braking.

Still happy with the Impala and our 02 Monte Carlo SS, which is now about 4 months old with 4500 miles and no problems or noises of any kind. Only complaint with the Monte is only having one cup holder in the console by the glove box. The second one in front of the shifter is not as secure and only accessible if you remove the ashtray.
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Although I have NOT had the problem of warped rotors, does anyone know what causes them?
    What are rotors anyway and are they on all four wheels?
  • Options
    While I believe that you are experiencing some of these irritants with your car, I think the other 50% of the issues is made up for what appears to be a very incompetent dealer. Some of your issues are not major and can be easily solved. For instance the seat tracks, the popping plastic trim piece at the bottom of the windshield and the poor performing A/C are prime examples of minor items that haven't been troubleshooted and fixed accordingly.

The poor radio reception can only be solved by installing a metal radio antenna mast. Perhaps a retractable aftermarket power antenna can be installed if the reception truly bothers you. I don't know if Night_owl has looked into this possibility before.

The intermittant power door locks could be caused by either a faulty power door lock actuator module or a problem with the firmware or controlling unit in the dashboard. I am sure this is an easy fix as well.

My suggestion would be for you to switch to a different dealer even if you have to drive 100 miles to get to a better one.

I am not familiar with California lemon laws, but the only problems that MIGHT qualify you to seek relief under these consumer laws are the vibrating brakes (if proved to be unfixable by any means) and the engine hesitation (Again if proved to be unfixable after 2 or 3 attempts). The other items will probably help build a case but they will not be considered if you decide to sue under Lemon law.

The brakes I believe are the by product of overtorqued wheel nuts. Overtorquing can cause warping of the brake rotors, guaranteed. I have 9K+ miles on my car and you have 7.5K miles on yours, so if the problem were widespread, I would certainly be complaining about vibrations at the steering wheel, but I am not experiencing this particular problem.

For the engine, try switching to a higher octane or different type of gas. Since California is a different world :) I am not sure if the formulation of the gas sold in that state is affecting the performance of the engines there....most of the Impala owners with problem hesitations happen to live in California (Sweetpolly comes to mind). Check and see if there is yet another PCM update for your car.
  • Options
    Duraflex: Warped rotors are either caused by poor quality dics that fail to properly dissipate heat when applying the brakes and thus warping the surface of the rotors faster than normal causing undesired vibrations at the steering wheel when applying the brakes and decreased braking performance.

The other most common cause is overtorquing of the wheel nuts when the tires are being rotated, replaced or re-balanced. Most shops use impact air wrenches that tend to overtorque the wheel nuts and this in turn helps to warp the brake rotors. This is the reason why (As per a GM bulletin from last year) all wheel nuts should be torqued BY HAND with a manual wrench to 100 pounds feet of torque for the Impala to prevent premature brake warping.

I have been following this practice and I have had no problems with my brakes as of yet.