Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    www.impalalovers.org

of course that isn't too specific about the millenium impala's. Although I still like looking at the 66 Impala and the 67 Impala, and lot sof other years too.

Your site is awesome no matter what the name, and Google always spits it out one of the top listings when you type in Impala anyway.

Have a good one
    GhostWolf
  • Options
    impalamomimpalamom Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Teo, I'll try that. I figured one of you guys would have an idea!
  • Options
    impalalovers is an excellent choice! I often frequent jag-lovers, which is a hugely popular site for..well...that's obvious.
    imapalovers would immediately impart a similar level of accomplishment, just by the domain name! Of course, as you say, it doesn't specify that it's the "millennium" Impala.

Nathan - How about adding a message board to your site? I believe there are a number of message board servers and software out there. I believe one is called EZ Board. I'll inquire with the webmasters of some of the forum sites I visit, and see what they use.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I got back from taking Both of my cars in today, they Lubed the ISS on the '01 and I had the oil changed and had them check my seat on my 2k LS, they said they had a few Impala owners come in about the seat track and said it was due to the fact it is power and needs some play, a typical explanation to say the least,All in ALl they were REALLY COOL Today, I geuss when you have BOTH of your cars in front of them and you bought them BOTH There and your Wife with you they seem to listen a little harder? then I inquired about a future transmission flush/change, he reccomended it @ 30K..I have 24.6k,sometimes I feel a little bump or chuggle in the shifting around 40-45 mph, was there a module that corrected this or was that juust 1-2nd gear harshness? This would be up in 4th gear range or maybe the lockup engaging? I thought it went into overdrive well over 55 mph?
    Also they found the snafu with my foglight, the plug was faulty, that explains it coming on when I turned the bulb to see the P/N that time, they replaced the socket and the Bulb works fine, I was only set back $21 for the oil change,

AND......I FINALLY got some concensus on my Inferior Hubcaps and they are re-oredering me a New Set, I checked out a 2002 on the lot and they were actually shiny silver, this time if they come in and are greenish, I am demanding an I.O.U in writing for Future a set of Acceptible bolt on Hubcaps, maybe next year they will change the style and the paint process? (other models have nice "Thick Painted" Silver Covers ie Cavalier,Malibu etc,even other GM Models are better like Grand Prix's... whats up with the Base Impala's?) I wish they offered a Chrome Set like the 1995 Lumina could be had with...Are You listening GM? They would look soooooo much better than Dull Silver...mainly on darker colored cars like my Navy Blue....JC Whitney offers a Chrome "look-a-like" set but they lack the Bowtie in the center and just pop on/off and I bet are made from recycled milk jugs or something..for $60.00.... anyway.... I am happy today! Everyone Have a Nice Weekend...... Don
  • Options
    On the way home from work last night my "low fuel" light came on, since I reset it after my last fill up the other day I was going to wait 'til this morning for my not-so Scientific Evaluation, well here it is..

On the way to the dealer this morning I stopped to refuel, the moniter said I used 14.2 Gallons, I refueled to the first click..the pump read....14.172 gal....then the next click read.....14.625 gal...the next click....14.667 gal... I then rounded the cash amount to $15.25 and the toal gallons read 14.818 when I put the gas cap back on.. so all in all, Mine is Really close..on that first click.14.172 gal pumped - vs - 14.2 gal used on my readout... the gas was $1.02 per gallon....Enough of my boring Non-Scientific Experiment ...My Wife was waiting/laughing in her Impala while I wrote all of this down in the Cold, she said I was Crazy...but I wanted some hard figures to share with you folks... there you have it... Don
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Mediumfry - there is a link on http://townhall.edmunds.com/ that says "!Announcement - Letter from the Town Hall Manager". It's just below the Win $500 icon and just above the Town Hall Chat icon.

Essentially, Jonah Brown is explaining the addition of advertising banners to the top of the page and the additional links on the left sidebar. Also the chat schedule is changing - decreasing - and he's explaining that as well.

To all - I saw in another discussion where a member took my last post seriously. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear to anyone here that I was joking about any requirement that "Impala" appear in all posts.

B4z had noticed the changes as they were being rolled in and garypen replied - tongue-in-cheek - that including "Impala" in each message would now be a requirement. My post was just meant to be tongue-in-cheek back at gary.

Again, I'm terribly sorry if there was any confusion over that. :(

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    With the inaccurate moniters with newer built cars, my LS was built 11/99....I would have to say it is faulty/inaccurate and should be addressed by the dealer,(some how?) since some seem to be really off kilter for some of you newer owners regarding the gallons used and MPG.

Question.....How is the Direction Compass on these off calibrated ones? The Compass can re-set by choosing the proper zone within the re-set function --or-- driving in a circle 5 times to re-calibrate... Don
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Compass recalibration instructions are provided in your owner's manual.
  • Options
    I wanted to now if the Compass worked well on the ones with the off calbrated other functions. I listed the 2 ways to re-set the Compass.

Nathan... that pic of Dura's reminded me of the one I did on my pag with the 6 taillights.....

http://community.webtv.net/dman4ford/00IMPALALS

and my other page.

http://community.webtv.net/VARIOUSPICTURESOF

• Options
    colneljcolnelj Member Posts: 3
    My compass works fine - only the amount of gas used is off.
  • Options
    lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I had trouble with our dash lights and will have to replace the headlight switch. The rheostat on the back of the switch broke and won't let the dash lights come on. The interior lights work when we open the doors though so probably isn't the same problem
    LRCobra
  • Options
    How many posters here have Impalas over 30K miles?

Share your story.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    NewImpala
    ChevyImpala
    ChevroletImpala
    ImpalaLovers
    MillenniumImpala
    ImpalaInside
    ImpalaUncovered

Although I like using Chevy or Chevrolet, I don't want to get into a trademark infringement issue. NewImpala won't be applicable in a few years when they change the platform. MillenniumImpala is too hard to spell. =) ImpalaLovers is pretty cool as well as ImpalaInside and ImpalaUncovered. Any other recommendations?

Gary, someone suggested a message board once and I did look into it. However there have been other attempts at Impala message boards and none of them are as active as the Edmunds one.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    How about SimplyImpala? MyImpala? TheImpala?
  • Options
    Hahaha.. I just got my first flame. The same old "the last REAL Impala was built in '96"

And it's an AOL e-mail address...
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Interesting comment about using the word Chevy or Chevrolet in the name. I don't think it would be a problem. One cannot copyright domain names, simply lease them. It's free advertisement for Chevy no matter how you slice it. But you may have to add a disclaimer saying that the site isn't the "Official" Impala site just to be safe, but that may be a can of worms you don't want to open 8^)

Reminds me of people that bought domain names just in hopes that someone or some company with $$$ would want it and but it off of them. Quite smart.

I kinda like Impalalover. Sweet and to the point. Another would be ImpalaWorld.

RR
  • Options
    How about:

Y2KImpalasociety.com?
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I like impalaworld.
  • Options
    Impalaspeed.com
  • Options
    bigroomycar.com
  • Options
    macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    I know other people have tried to set up their own forums with individual forums, topics, and threads. - Probably because the way this discussion has turned into a massive 7000 post mess which is at sometimes impossible to follow. Setting up your own forum is hard enough, either you have to find web space to put it there or go with one of the "free" forum providers that bombard you with popups and advertising. Then if the provider goes bellyup, you lose all your posts! Plus you have to have somebody operate and moderate it. Let's let edmunds continue to do their job, but perhaps we could delete some of the unused threads and add more to categorize it and make it easier to read?

As for domain names, I don't think it matters what domain you pick, you are going to end up with the hits from the "classic" Impala searches.

I personally like IMPALAHQ.COM - short and easy to remember
  • Options
    brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    You mean to tell me that you have replaced TWO sets of rotors (not turned, but totally new?) and still have the original pads???!!! What is up with that? Has GM gone to aluminum rotors? My experience has been a minimum of three pads per set of rotors. Another guy mentioned BAER. Is that the way to go.....don't even get factory rotors? With 19,000K on my 01LS I am noticing some pulsing and I will inspect the pads this weekend to check for percent remaining.

What should I use to clean/recondition my leather. I wear blue jeans a lot and I am noticing a blueish hue to my drivers seat.

www.impalamala.com
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    00impala,
    You realize that by topping your vehicle off like that, it can and often does affect the EVAP system and cause the check engine light to come on? Just a thought.
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Bige, I had the rough idle/die once in my 24000 mile history for my Impala. Somewhere around the 5000 mile mark. Never tripped a SES light or anything. I discounted it as a bad slug of gas or a water droplet. Maybe some manufacturing residue from the tank. I'd try some Isopropyl fuel treatment if it persists, to rule out water as the problem, and if that doesn't fix it, take it in.
    I don't think once is worth worrying about.

Pat, thanks for the reply. Sometimes it's tough to see body language and tone of voice when reading plain text. However I wasn't totally sucked in, and even if I was, I would encourage the joking around. That's why I put "Impala" at the beginning of my post. Maybe someone laughed at that?? Anyway, I don't mind looking like a dork every now & then, as long as it doesn't become a habit!

Garypen, I am quite familiar with Nathan/NightOwl/Hawaii.rr/NewImpala
    Just placing my vote...
  • Options
    Never "Top OFF", I just went about .40-.50 cents upward from the click, Is that Dangerous? I would consider topping off as putting another 2 gallons in or whatever it will hold and having it splash out and go down the side of the car, I have never done that..,and.. I have Never had a "Check Engine" light come on in 2 years and 24,000 miles, as a foot note, I turn my gas cap about 10 times to assure it is sealed...Today I was trying to see where it would stop, some pumps are touchy and activate that first click way too early and the tank will still hold a few gallons...I knew by the numbers and the gallons used, what range I was in, I was waiting for it to click off when the pump read 14.2 and it sure did @ 14.172! I don't think alot of people are aware of the possible down fall of "Totally" topping off,as you mentioned.... well from the looks of some cars that have yellow stains going down the quarter panel from the fuel door...Thanks Don
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Our 2k Impala had 46k miles on it when we traded it off in november 2001. The cradle noise reappeared after the cradle was replaced and we were tired of dealing with the problem.
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I had 2 sets of rotors warp, the dealer replaced them under warrenty no questions. The pads didn't need to be replaced. If you are experienceing pulsation, chances are your rotors need to be turned of replaced.

I also have a 99 LT Blazer, it has 64,000 miles, and I have had no brake work done on it yet. (I think it needs pads now though, lol)
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    Most of the posters have heard my Impala issues.

But you asked: I have about 55,000 on my 2000 LS. I have had all the "normal" issues:
    Cradle pop, had re welded within 2 months of taking delivery with no re-occurance.
    ISS had replaced around 45,000 miles (warranty). No re-occurance.... YET.
    Brake rotors, had replaced 2 under 36,000 miles, haven't had an issue with them again.
    Engine "Chuggle", had the software upgrade 3 weeks ago. It took care of that problem, but presented me with another: My Impala now surges when moderately accelerating. I will bring it back in for that.
    I have also replaced my ignition lock cylinder 2 times.

My DIC seems to perform remarkable well compared to alot of the posters here. I am always within .5 gallon each fill. I just wish I was enjoying some to of the 30 mpg that others get. I only get about 22-24mpg in mixed driving. Of course my car always has some extra weight in it for work related items.

I am not thinking about getting rid of this car, I still love it even with the issues I have come across. The secret to happiness with a new car that has warranty issues is to find a dealer that will take care of you, the car, and the issues with the car the first time. There don't seem to be alot of reputable service departments that car about us as consumers. I found one in NH that has taken great care of my Impala, and I didn't even buy it from them.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Each time I post this, I get ignored, because reliability isn't popular, I guess. I have a 2000 Impala. At 77,000 miles it got new brake pads and rotors all the way round. (It had had the rotors turned at about 65,000). It had had NO unscheduled maintenance before then.

At the same time I got it a tune-up, tranny change, fuel filter (fourth one), etc. It immediately began missing badly. Turned out THAT was failure of the brand new #1 AC/Delco spark plug. Went another 1000 miles and turned on the check engine light and then missed so badly it barely made it back to the shop. New spark plug wires needed was the diagnosis. $238 bucks, 60 for the wires, the rest for 2.5 hours labour, and apparently now good as new. Still, I wish they had changed the wires when they changed the plugs.

The dealership has always been honest and competent, so I figure they didn't realise they needed to change the wires the first time.

I hate it when you take a well running car to the dealer and then have problems because you did. Then again, this could have been, but probably was not, a coincidence.

The dealer always provides me a loaner and tries hard, so I gladly go back and recommend them (and the Impala) highly. NO ISS problems, at least yet! No cradle problems, at least yet.

Would gladly trade for a V8 Impala, especially RWD. Any ideas when what is coming out SS-wise, if anything?
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    At 77,000 miles, it sounds like you're doing pretty well with your Impala.

IMHO, I think that changing spark plug wires somewhere up around 50,000 to 70,000 miles (or 5 years - whichever comes first) might be a good idea for people who do NOT garage their cars or live in particularly HOT or COLD climates AND have symptoms of an ignition problem. The rubber insulation on the wires can break down and deteriorate over time.

It's an easy visual inspection to make. Look for small cracks in the rubber. Performance will also be noticeably affected if even just one wire has a problem. On one car I owned, only a single spark plug wire had to be replaced because it alone deteriorated. The other five were good until I sold the car at 128,000 miles. That car was garaged daily and the climate was mid Atlantic. On another car, I had to have all the wires changed at about 50,000 miles living in the same place and keeping the car garaged.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Interestingly, my Impala, like some dogs and cats, is an outside Impala. I am not sure if it is litter box trained, but it must be, as I have seen no puddles below it except in summer, when it does seem to have a number 1 problem! :)
  • Options
    My DIC is super accurate on long trips where i am not turning the car off. Around town i have seen it be as much as 4-5mpg off. Always on the optimistic side of course.
  • Options
    You were not ignored. I think your previous post got you into the highest mileage Impala hall of fame. I was shocked at your mileage, especially since I look at my 17,000 and think that I'll soon lose the factory warranty. Which is both a good and bad thing. I am itching to try out some mods. =)

Has anyone here ever registered a domain name? I have some questions about the process that none of the FAQs address. Namely, since I already have the site set up and hosted, how to I point the new domain to that site without using re-direction.

I'm leaning toward ImpalaHQ, ImpalaWorld, ImpalaMods, ImpalaNuts, and ImpalaFans. Also in the running is BetterThanCapriceInWolfsClothing. (small dig to my personal flamer)

Wanna start that discussion again? Which is better '00-'02 Impala or the '94-'96 Impala?

Replacing or turning the rotors at this early date should not be necessary. Unless you do a lot of heavy braking, ride the brake, or someone overtorqued the lugnuts. If I were to replace the rotors, I would probably go with Baer rotors that have been cross drilled and grooved.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I just got 15% window tint all around, it looks real tight, and since I live in Florida, it really helps cut down on the heat inside. I'll post some pictures soon.
    Nathan, I personally like ImpalaWorld.com Keep up the good work on the site.

Chris
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    You're looking for trouble.....
  • Options
    Tell that guy that pror to the "Caprice in Wolfs Clothing" the last TRUE Impala was made in 1985, that was the last year it had exclusive Taillights, Grill etc, for 1986 the Entry level Base Sedan was replaced with the name "CAPRICE" and the Classic went on the up level car. 1985 WAS the last year for the Entry level "Lower than Caprice" Full sized Chevrolet.
  • Options
    Efective Dec. 21, 2001 all trim levels on the impala were increased $135.00.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    yea I'm still young, I'm always lookin for trouble, I just need to put some blue neons under my car now.....
  • Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    For the first time I had to drive my Impala down a dirt road, and it was wet and muddy. I went to the car wash, and found out that the mud flaps deffinately do make a difference.

Here is what happened, I sprayed the fronts wheel wells and the there was a thin layer of dirt all the way around but it came right off, the majority was collected in the mud guards.

On the rears I kept spraying and spraying and huge chunks of mud kept falling out from the top of the wheel well. This was true for both sides of the car.

I really thought that GM would have come out with the rear ones by now. Besides that the car would look a lot better with 4 instead of just 2 up front..

A little side note, Chris.. I can't believe you went with 15% all the way around! I wanted to go 25% all the way around but in Arkansas they make you have a tiny sticker in the drivers window that tells the percentage of the front windows. So if I ever got pulled over, its an automatic ticket.

A side not to RR: (trying to think of a way to relate this to the impala but I can't).. sorry about the Bears game. At least they had a good season.. maybe next year..

ghostwolf
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    You know, Jag-lovers.com could be a site for someone who loves Judge Advocate Generals' or for that matter wasn't there some show called JAG on tv recently? You never know what people will be fans of. One time I did a web search for Scully National Lease (a company that leases trucks) and I could find nothing because of all the sites that mentioned Dana Scully from "The X Files" ...

Teo I have over 30k miles (34700)and I have run down all the problems I have had. I have an appointment on wed. for all the stuff they need to look at before my warranty runs out. It turns out the clicking I have been hearing might actually be one of the bowtie caps that covers the spoked LS wheels. The big "nut" part on the left front wheel actually moves a bit and it
    clicks, this might be causing the clicking sound I hear. I'm going to move the cap to another wheel and listen again. This might be the perfect time to order those Impala caps and replace them...
  • Options
    spkirkspkirk Member Posts: 10
    Just to add my 2 cents worth in. I drove my father-in-law's 2002 Impala LS with all the bells and whistles today. The 3.8 V6 has lots of power. The heated leather seats are very comfortable. The sunroof is nice and so is the stereo. I especially like the overhead information center. The car has 450 miles on it and as far as I can tell, it is a solid performer. I have not been a GM fan myself over the years, but, I think that they have something good in this car. So far there are no squeaks, rattles, or any imperfections that I can tell. I just wanted to add a little praise for the car here. It is a really nice American car.
  • Options
    You mentioned engine "Chuggle" and a software upgrade. I pesonally would welcome a "Surge" while accelerating moderatley. My 2001 seems to "Drop back" while going from 1st to 2nd. Can you tell me what upgrade you had?

To all..... I have a white Impala and the windows done 35% on the front and I think 25% on the rest. The tint against the white really looks great, although I don't really like the different shades on this particular car. It just doesn't look consistant. I wish Texas would allow 25%. That's the darkest I would go.

Any of you guys complained to On Star about their Cell Phone rates? I would love to be able to use that feature to talk on the phone, but they just want too much!

Does any one know if there is a setting that will allow me to turn on my fog lights during the day without actually pulling on my light switch? Some times before dusk I want my fogs on, but they won't come on until it's dark, unless I pull the switch.

I really like the idea of putting the wheel weights on the inside...Great Idea!

I also installed the door visors, out of neccessity. On this car, you can't even crack the windows during a rain and not get flooded out. I miss the sleekness, but don't miss the water dripping down my door panel.

I agree with spkirk. My dad is hard core Ford, and when I brought this car to him to check out, he said that of all of the GM products he's seen, the Impala LS, with leather and sun roof, white with grey interior, was the best thing he has seen or driven that GM has done (for it's class).
    Thanks for listening......Brett in Texas.
  • Options
    The other day I was at Lowes, putting some 8' long 1 X 2's in the trunk and a guy walked up and said; "Where the hell are you putting those?!" Thought I was performing some magic trick! Those fold down seats are just one more reason why I love My Impie. : )

P.S; I'm 42. Is that too young? I don't really see any "younger people" driving these things. LOL
  • Options
    Spence - You should always replace the pads when replacing rotors.

Fry - I misinterprated your comment about this forum. I thought when you said "what are we talking about here?", you meant Nathan's site. Sorry.

Nightowl - I still like Impalalovers or NewImpala. But, how about these...Impalarama? Impalaville? Impalatown?

Hunter - I just meant that Jag-Lovers is the most popular site for Jaguar enthusiasts. Soooooo, I thought ImpalaLovers would be kinda nice, as I'm sure it will be the most popular site for 2000+ Impala enthusiasts.
    Ooh Ooh. How about Impala2000? It sounds Roger-Corman-cool.
  • Options
    The other day I was at Lowes, putting some 8' long 1 X 2's in the trunk and a guy walked up and said; "Where the hell are you putting those?!" Thought I was performing some magic trick! Those fold down seats are just one more reason why I love My Impie. : )

P.S; I'm 42. Is that too young? I don't really see any "younger people" driving these things. LOL
  • Options
    shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    Night Owl

I have a domain registered (shrubsplace.com) but my hosting company took care of the registration for me. If you already have a host, ask them. I'm not sure how to do this without a redirection.

Forrest
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I'm 21!! I love my Navy blue 01 LS! However my girlfriend LOVES to point out other Impalas as they drive by. Her favorite saying....."Hey look it's an old person driving that car!" I just tell her that I have a good sense of taste for my age. We FINALLY got out first real snowfall of the year here in Lancaster, PA. I ABSOLOUTLY(sp?) love this car. The anti-lock brakes are amazing. I have driving ABS cars before(names I dare not mention here) blue oval and the ABS on the Impala stop that thing incredibly fast. I am amazed how fast my 3500 LB car stops on snow/ice. Now the traction control, don't even get me started, this is freaking awesome. I mean it makes driving in snow/ice a bazillion times easier and safer. I took the car to a local industry before they plowed their lot. I spent about 10 minutes playing in the snow to "test" the car out. All I can say is, man I love my Impala!
  • Options
    I am 30, wife is 25 and we own a '01 Impala LS.
  • Options
    I'm 65, my wife is 18. For some reason, she prefers to stay home helping the pool man clean the pool, while I'm out driving my Impala.I can't figure out why.
    I keep plenty of those Bee Gees CD's, like the kids listen to nowadays, in the console.
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but i think you can pull the light switch out one notch which will turn the parking lights on. Then the fog lights will work. Anyone?