Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    After 32,000 KM my 2001 LS had its Intermediate Steering Shaft replaced today. Two months ago, the aluminum cradle had shims added.

My dealer said that EVERY SINGLE IMPALA WILL eventually have to have its ISS replaced. He said he is telling drivers to bring in their car before the warranty runs out even if there is a little play and lumpy feel in the steering shaft.

He also said GM is losing so much money that it has told dealers to try to grease the ISS first and if it happens again to replace it.

My dealer felt the ISS was so bad it had to be replaced.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Well, if it happens....

I hope that the ISS on my car (If it needs to be re-greased eventually) will only need to have this operation performed at least once while I keep it under warranty.

GM until when!!!????
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    about people who's warranty runs out but had the ISS lubed before hand? I should still be entitled to a new ISS to be replaced under warranty. I haven't pressed the issue with my Service Manager but you can bet your sweet Mango I will! Teo and Gary, you two slay me...
    LOL! but the problem is that even if you get a new ISS it will crap out 12K miles later! ARRRGHHHH!!!!
    OK, but aside from the Intrigue and the Imp and don't see much mention of the ISS in other GM sedan forums. According to the notice posted in Nathan's site, the ISS problem affects the Buick LeSabre, Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Century, et al.
  • Let's not forget the IRS problem which effects owners of all those models, and more.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    In Hawaii, all cars start out $5000-$7000 ABOVE MSRP. The first dealer I went to wanted $32K for a LS, no leather, no sunroof. Then he came back and said that the sales manager slashed the price $600 and that he had never seen them do that before.
    What!?

What's the minimum salary in Hawaii??

Like $20 per hour??
  • Can someone grossing $800/wk afford a $32K car?
    Could, but would be tight. More likely a $20K car.
  • You know, you not only saved a few thousand by choosing an Impala over a CL. You saved about $10K by choosing an Florida Impala over a Hawaii Impala.
    Imagine..a Hyundai Accent or Kia Sephia must be like $20!!!!

The Impala is definetely a luxury car over there.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Merely LIVING in Hawaii is a luxury over there. Housing costs on average about four times what it does on the mainland. And salaries are, for the most part, LOWER than here. The weather is great, the scenery ideal, and there is NO shortage of people who want to live there. HIGH supply of labour, fixed demand=low salaries. Low housing supply, high demand=high costs. Sad, but true.

Another factor, no competition between dealers, means high mark-ups, there is no competing market place for new vehicles.
    What really gets me is that it dealers say that costs so much more to do business in Hawaii. The transportation cost is the same for a car in Hawaii as for one in Texas or Florida. The amount of inventory they keep is so much lower. I was at a Nissan Dealer and they only had one Quest van on island. I am really jealous of you all. There are only two Chevy dealers on Oahu, one Lincon dealer, two Ford dealers, and the Toyota dealers are all owned by one company. So our options are VERY limited. That's probably why the prices are so high.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Would not be less expensive to "import" car from the mainland?

When we immigrated in 1996, there was two cars with Hawaii license plates, parked next to our car on the lot of our apartment complex. Hamden, Connecticut.

A friend told me it costs about $1,500 to ship a car to Russia by sea from the East Coast of USA or Canada. Hardly it would cost more to Hawaii.
  • shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    To get my 2000 LS withOUT leather required a dealer trade from a dealer in Lima, Ohio.

Lima! I bought mine in Alliance Ohio but it has leather.
  • heavenboundheavenbound Member Posts: 39
    2000 Impala LS built 12/99.
    mileage 19,500 at replacement on 1/29/02.
    clunk started at 18,000 miles.

It felt like new as I drove it off the lot.
    I hope GM does something to take care of this problem. The Impala is selling good, but if this becomes a weak point like on the Intrigue sales will probably start going down.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I live a stone's throw from Detroit, two throws from Oshawa, and pay the same for freight as anyone else. The cars should cost the same. The markup is (I guess) based on supply and demand, but it sounds really close to unethical. You could likely fly from Hawaii to mainland US, buy the car, and have it shipped to Hawaii and save a bundle.

I thought they only had beans in Lima, OH.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I hope that's doctored and not close to reality. Looks more like a Aztek to me. Yuk.
  • markbbbmarkbbb Member Posts: 1
    Just came across this message board. I have a 2001 Impala LS. So far I have had the brake rotors turned at 18k and rotors replaced at 23k. The car now has 25k and they need to be turned again. I drive 90% hwy. miles. This does not seem possible. My last car was a Nissan and did not touch the brakes until 135k. Have other Impala owners been experiencing the same brake troubles as I have. So far warranty has covered but fast approaching that magic 36k cut off. Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Mark
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    My 01 was made 11/00. Took delivery on Jan. 25th, 2001 in Oklahoma, although I live in Texas, my dealer in OK located what I wanted in Texas. He had it picked up and brought to OK. (fortunatley it didn't get totaled!) so I could drive up from TX to OK to make the purchase. I then drove it back to TX! My LS has everything (Sun roof/Leather) but the heated seats. Bottom line.......Paid $23k even. I have 20,000 mi. on it now with no ISS problem yet. I am experiencing a small amount of pulsing, but no rotor issues yet. feels like it will be soon. I ran over a plastic bucket that had blown out of a pick up in front of me and it rolled under my passenger side kick panel. Blew out every clip holding that ground effect on. Guess the price for those babies.......$4.32 EACH! @ 6 per side. Injection molded plastic.
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    How do you wash it? Could it be that if these rotors were made of somewhat lesser quality materials, that the heat-to cool shock could be warping the rotors. The wheels allow instant access to cooling water from a car wash if you were to drive it for a time B-4 you get to the car wash. Also, I have noticed that they are not just discs. they are all the hub. Greater mass.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Finally got some substantial snow here in IL overnight. Took 20 minutes to get the Impala out from under the 6 inch blanket but when she was uncovered, she handled the mess like a champ. Busted through an 18 inch wall of the stuff like a hot knife through butter. And traction was great. No slippage at all!

They can keep their 4x4's.

RR
    Today I got a free oil change, 27 point inspection, and free car wash, interior vacuum and detail....looks like a million bucks!

Car is pristine and continues to excel at near 11K miles and ZERO problems. Brake pads/rotors look excellent. Tires are wearing nicely and evenly. Next rotation due in 3K miles. Cold A/C that effectively cools down the cabin in under 5 minutes, even if the exterior temp is at 90F plus humidity. Solid, a blast to drive!
    Any TSB's out there for the dash separating above the radio? I have noticed it for some time, but I am scheduled for a lube job, tire rotation, etc. Two birds with one stone would be cool.

I'll check your site, Nathan....

Thanks!
    RR
    Nope I haven't seen it, RR. However, tell them to check the holding clips/screws for the dash top. Should not be rocket science if you can show them where exactly the separation is taking place.

My dashboard looks pristine and even the heat hasn't been able to messed it up.
    ...the gap is in plain view. I will mention it to the Serv. Dept.

Before I do, though, I want to look at an Impala they have on the floor. If that one looks the same, forget about it - I'll live with it.

Steve
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    My dash is doing the same. It's not a huge space, but i do notice it.

I did have a handsfree package for my cell phone installed, including a bracket thats right beside the radio, so they would probably just say that it's being caused by that install.

I've decided to just live with it (unless something else in the dash needs work).
    Brad
  • >>>Car is pristine and continues to excel at near 11K miles...<<<
    >>>My dashboard looks pristine and even the heat...<<<
    >>>Solid, a blast to drive! <<<

You've sold your soul to the devil, haven't you? Genie, maybe? Magic mirror?
    Gary, the car is running like a champ....what else can I say?
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on an Impala LS? I have a small fishing boat that I used to haul with my old Taurus wagon (sold it) and am thinking about putting a hitch on the Impala.

I would like to do the job myself, including the wiring if it is not too difficult. If anyone can share any experience or advice, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    ...You probably have the exact same thing as me. I remember reading that others had the dash separating as well. I will bring it up and see what the service dept. says. I am checking out a new dealership for the first time - hope it goes well.

It isn't a show-stopper, ya know.

RR
    There was a time that it would be cheaper to do exactly that, fly on over to the contenental US, buy a car and ship it back. However, under pressure from the car dealers here, our lawmakers passed a law stating that sales tax must be paid on new cars being shipped to Hawaii. So you would pay for plane ticket, buy the car and pay that state's sales tax, pay to ship it back, then pay the Hawaii sales tax.
    Have you seen any Hawaii 5-0 era Mercurys still in use in Hawaii??
  • If you purchased the car to be shipped directly from the mainland dealer, you shouldn't have to pay that dealer's state sales tax.
    Hmm interesting. They should look nice against the Navy Blue color. Enjoy!
    A number of people have had problems with brake rotors. There has been no "fix" other than shave the rotors or replace. Typically, over torquing the lug nuts or overheating the brakes (riding the brake, lots of braking) cause warped rotors. If this ever happens to my car, I would replace the rotors with aftermarket ones.
    I noticed that gap, but I noticed it after I did that How-To article on removing the radio. So I thought it was always there or I didn't align the trim plate. I have not seen a TSB on this.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I have a class II hitch on my LS that I use for my bike rack only. I had it professionally installed, but didn't even ask for wiring since I don't plan to tow a trailer. Took them less than an hour.

The only issue I have with it is the receiver is quite far under the bumper. I had to get a fairly long draw bar to attach the bike rack to. Other than that it's great - very unobtrusive.
    Brad
    Petrie installed a Draw-Tite tow hitch on his Impala. Go to my site and a link to his site is on my Links page (Petrie's Launchpad). He took photos of the install and gave a few reasons why he chose Draw-Tite over Hidden Hitch.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

How did you know what my other car is?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Have you got a Black Grand Marquis like Steve McGarrett drove?? Come to think of it - he would have loved the Marauder I bet!
    When you do that, you have to pay a "handling charge" to the dealer selling the car, the shipping charge to Hawaii, another handling charge to the dealer receiving the car, etc... I looked into this when I was shopping for a car. The best deal I got was through one of those internet shopping programs, and that offer came from a dealer from another island. I ended up getting the car through a friend as a fleet purchase.
    heh, no. I have a '95 Saturn SL1, '69 Camaro, and the Impala.
  • 69 Camaro....mmmmmmmmm.
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    What is the name of the company in Florida?
    What color is that beauty? It had to be one of the best looking designs GM ever produced.
    It's black. I am a glutton for punishment.
    When it's polished to a sparkle, black is outstanding - and then it rains - everyday there right? Hope you have cover for it.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    http://www.autoznet.com

They were $59.99 for the Chrome I will know if I am keeping them the minute I take them out of the box. I hope they are in fact better than some $19 Walmart el cheapo's....They should be if they are $60 a set....I like them because they might have a better finish than the OEM's and I hope the Chrome is not like that of a Wrigleys Wrapper...
    Click to enter then click on "CHROME" Wheelcovers,16" they are towards the bottom, they show a pic of the Silver "painted" one for reference. I got the Chrome Picture from JC Whitney, Search Wheelcovers and you will find them there, but they are more $$ and exorbanant/SLOW shipping is always a JCW thing....Don