Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    emiura, you're right that Trooper's one-model availability helped to keep the insurance premiums lower than they should have been. For at least a couple years, all Troopers were "S" models. The Performance Package and Luxury Package didn't have their own model or trim level designation according to Isuzu, and the insurance companies weren't smart enough to realize this. I got quotes from my agent on S models and also on the newer (2000 etc.) LS and Limited models, and there was a difference in the insurance premiums between these models. However, all 1998 Troopers were considered "S" models, so a stripped-down Trooper cost the same to insure as one with the Luxury Package.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I just made a couple hundred mile trip this weekend in my 97' Trooper and checked my mileage. Its the first long trip since getting my 50/50 dino and synthetic oil mix installed. The weather was excellent, dry about 65 degrees, no wet spots on the pavement. I drove about 68-70 mph for the most part. Just a couple stops along the way and very little in town traffic. The RPM meter showed about 2800-2900 most of the time. The mileage came out at 20.013 mpg. I was impressed!

I also recently tried my varied "grade" of fuel test. A tank of 91 octane to compare to the usual 87 octane I use. There was no improvement in mileage during this tank of fuel. Supports what you read about pouring money down the tank on higher octane fuel, unless of course, you're getting "pinging" with the lower octane.
    bsmart
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    You guys that change your own oil, do you also grease joints or take it to service for that?
  • centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    On my 1999 Trooper I could only find 3 existing fitting locations, all on the driveshafts (I forget now whether it is 2 on the front and 1 on the rear shaft or the other way around). I also couldn't find any sites that had plugs awaiting the installation of zerks. When I first got the vehicle I posted on the ITOG and outdoorwire sites and got feedback that 3 fittings is the total to ever be greased.

Therefore to finally answer your question, I do also grease these fittings every 3rd oil change.
    central, thanks for the info.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I don't do this myself yet, but probably need to start doing it. I've told the dealer to do it once or twice. Who knows whether they actually did...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sean, "Cooked" his engine when we were 4x4ing in the Pine barrens (see pics on http://isuzu-suvs.com)

Isuzu Japan it is rumored that they will be converting all thier plants in japan over to med duty and bus assembly. The 2003 Trooper *may* and I stress *may* be produced in IN where they make the rodeo and Axiom now.

-mike

• emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    There is a webpage with pictures of grease point locations. I don't do it myself, so I haven't confirmed it, so please use it as reference:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~uw7a-mrn/top/bighorn/fig6/fig805.htm

Translation for each pic:

1. On universal joint between rear differential and drive shaft.

2. Between rear shaft and transfer.

3. On universal joint between transfer and front shaft.

4. Between front shaft and differential.

...Eiji...

emiura, good info on the grease points. thanks.
  • hutch66hutch66 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1998 isuzu trooper, and all of a sudden I seem to be having trouble starting the engine. the problem usually happens after I've been driving for awhile. when I go back to start the engine it will just turn over for a few seconds before it fires up. is this a common problem. if anyone can help please post some suggestions.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I could be a lot of things. When was the last time you had a 15k, 30k, 45k, etc. service? fouled plugs, clogged injectors, timing could be off? There could be a vacuum issue, when the engine heats and expands, it could lose vacuum causing it to take longer to fire? If you haven't had a service in a while I suggest going to get that done first. Do you have a reputable dealer? If not you could ask here and someone may no a good dealer near you.
    I noticed something with the locks today on my '99 trooper that I had not previously noticed. I unlocked it and did not open the doors. Within a minute or two it automatically relocked. There was no beep and it did it more than once. I even put the key down because I thought that while in my pocket it may have been tapped. Is this normal?
    GPM, it's a safety feature. Basically if you unlock the doors with the FOB and don't open one, the system is smart enough to re-lock the doors so that an intruder doesn't take your car if you in-advertently hit the button in your house to unlock the car and never make it to the car.

-mike
    I recall someone once posted about the left and right side of their trooper being not the same height and posting about the fix. Does anyone know that post or have the answer to leveling the two sides. My one side seems to be about 1/2 inch or so higher, although its real hard to be sure if you're not on level pavement.
    The only way I know to level the truck is from the front end. I think you can crank or uncrank the sway bar? I took mine to the dealer and had it done during an oil change, no charge.
    Come to the Isuzu Owner's Chat tonight, if you are an owner, or interested in buying one! 10pm-11pm EST this evening.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    1999 Trooper S. Does anyone know how to set the beeper on the clock so that it beeps on the hour. Mine beeps at 3 minuets after each hour. Thanks for the help
    My clock doesn't beep at all? I am going to have to check my manual. I have a 99 S.
    Mine doesn't beep either, 2000 LS.

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I think you have a wristwatch 3 minutes slower than the clock in your trooper. It must be your watch that is beeping because the clock in the Trooper does not!
    Hey guys, my clock beeps each hour. The only way it beeps at the top of the hour is if I run it 3 minuets slow. You will not hear the beep if your radio is turned on. Thanks anyhow
  • crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Well, wheels13, I think I may have the answer to your problem. According to Encarta:

The [minuet] was performed by one couple at a time, with the order based on social hierarchy, while others watched and waited their turn.

So, it would seem that your clock thinks it holds a higher position than you in the social hierarchy, and that's why you have to manually set it back. You need to have a long talk with that clock and explain to it that YOU are the top dog, and that YOU go first, and that THE CLOCK should beep on the hour.

Now, does that help?

- Sue, who's just pulling your leg, and who has no idea if her clock beeps or not because the radio is ALWAYS on. ;)
  • justdrivinjustdrivin Member Posts: 17
    I bought a 2000 S with 8,000 miles on it. I found a plastic bag with 2 remote door openers in it and tried them without success. I replaced both batteries in one of them, but it still does not work. Is there any kind of set up I need to do to get them working? They match the type pictured in the manual... did the 2000 S come with these? Thanks for any help with this.
    I just can't get off this clock thing? You say it beeps 3 minutes after the hour? so the clock reads 12:03? So you set it back 3 minutes and it now beeps at 12:00? If it beeps on the hour, i.e. 12:00, the clock doesn't know if it is fast or slow, it just knows 12:00? If it beeps, and that is if, it should beep at the exact time each time? The clock doesn't know how you set the time relative to anything else?

My truck's clock doesn't beep. Now if yours beeps consistently no matter 11:57, 12:00 or 12:03 on the trucks setting, it really sounds like you might have a digital watch in the glove box or ash tray?
    The 2000 S did come with keyless entry. Bring the car back to your dealer and say "hey it doesn't work" It should still be underwarranty, and probably just needs to have them re-programmed to the car.

The beeping IMHO is a watch under the seat, or in the glovebox, etc. Change the clock so that it reads 3 minutes earlier. If it beeps on the hour, then it's a different clock, not the one in the dash. :)

-mike
    Alright I am getting a little concerned. I have a 2000 Trooper and lately when the engine is cold and you start the vehicle the engine will sputter for about five seconds and almost die out. Then when you put the car in drive it will sputter again. Does anyone have any ideas why or has anyone else experienced the same problems.

As far as the beeping clock goes, I checked mine last night on the way home from work and it did not beep. Just curious though does the person who posted the beep messsage have an aftermarket stereo. There are some car stereos that will beep on the hour. If not there definately has to be a watch lost somewhere in the car.
    I get a jumpy idle for a few seconds maybe 10 seconds. And if I put the car in gear it can be jumpy on startups, especially on damp mornings. But if I start it and let it idle for 15-20 seconds all it well. I wouldn't be concerned unless it stalls, or contiues to sputter more than 30-45seconds.

-mike
    Paisan it never did this before last week so it definately is not NORMAL. The engine is really struggling to keep running at startup so there definately has to be something wrong. I posted messages on this site as well as on ITOG and the VMAG Forums site. Hopefully someone will know something. If not to the dealer it goes for a diagnosis.
    Perhaps it's bad gas, if it just started to happen?

-mike
    Intake manifold gasket?
    Would cause the problem more than just on startup, from the descriptions posted on here and elsewhere. It would continue at all times. But It's not out of the question.

-mike
    Thanks for all the help on the keeping clock problem. It was a very small electronic personal organizer with a clock set to beep each hour. I sure got a lot of help from this site and even learned how to spell minute.(sue) Thanks again but things like that become a problem when your car runs so quietly.
    It's funny, on the Durango and Exploder boards people are having problems like blown up engines, brake rotors warping, transmissions, etc...

Here we were all consumed for a day or 2 about a beeping watch! Those are the type of problems that make me happy I have an Isuzu.

-mike
    I opened two used oil filters from my 1999 Trooper and measured the paper filter element. The FRAM filter had an element 2 1/4" x 42" or the of area 95 sq.inches. The original TROOPER filter had an area of 2" X 65" or 130 sq.inches and was built far better then the FRAM.
    Fram is known to be crappiest of oil filters. I suggest OEM or Purolator (which is the OEM manufacturer) or Mobil One.

-mike
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Yep, years of oil analysis have shown me that the following filters are better then OEM for getting the dirt out. Mobil 1, Pure One (made by Puralator) and Amsoil/Hastings. Frams, regardless of how they package them are crap from their $2.99 specials to their $9.99 7000 miles piece of crap.
    We have had 1 major engine problem... :-)
  • tommcnabbtommcnabb Member Posts: 15
    I've used just about every kind of filter on every type of car, but since I have a brand new 01 Rodeo, does anyone suggest "genuine Isuzu". If so, where do I get them? Is the dealer the only place?
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Order Isuzu filters from St. Charles Isuzu...I don't think they even charge shipping, and you get 'em for less than $4 each.
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Just a generic question for any car...how often should you have to refill with coolant/water?
    Depends on the make/model, the owner's manual will dicate exactly how often. I usually do it at least 1x ever 70-100K miles.

-mike
    My 99 is on the road again. At least so the dealer tells me. They have been road testing it. I get it on Saturday. Wohoo! I am glad my 99 will be back in action seeing as they are going to stop making the Japan based Trooper.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    What was the major engine problem that you experienced?? Looks like the dealer has it under control. Whats this talk about a non-Japan based Trooper in the future? When is this supposed to take place, and just what is going to change?
  • vivayovivayo Member Posts: 32
    I'm curious if anyone else has had this amber warning light come on? My '01 Trooper only has 2,200 miles on it. Last weekend, we went out early Sunday morning to a fund raising event at an area high school (cancer walk). It is a 45-50 mile drive from the house. We were there a couple of hours and just as we were leaving, it started raining. We got in, started up, and the amber ABS light came on. I shut down, restarted (twice), and it was still on. Since it was 8:30AM Sunday, and the light is amber - not red, I decided to drive home. I tested the brakes a few times in the neighborhood around the school before I got on the highway and they worked fine. The light stayed on the entire trip home. It didn't come on later in the day when we went out, and it hasn't come on again since - my wife has driven it every day this week. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any known problems with the ABS?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    There aren't any known ABS problems with the Troopers. My opinion is that moisture got in the ABS circuit due to the rain caused the abs sensor to go whacky, and turn on the ABS light. I had a similar problem with my Trooper, except it wasn't the ABS light, it was the TOD speed sensor. In heavy rain, after driving for a bit, the speed sensor would go whacky, causing the TOD check light to come on. Took it to the dealer and they pulled the computer code that showed there to be a problem with the speed sensors (most likely the same sensors used for ABS) they replaced them, and I haven't had the problem since.

-mike
  • spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    Try this one on for size:

I full throttle the gas pedal while the truck is either standing still or moving as long as it's still moving in first gear. As my truck attempts to change between 1st and 2nd gear (while maintaining the full throttle) I get this massive vibration, jerking and banging sound coming from the rear as if the trans is slipping in and out of 2nd gear. It's actually sort of scary. It does this both with TOD on and off.

I need to take it back to dealer for this one. I noticed this the first time I drove the truck home and did the full throttle thing. Foolishly, I never did anything about it.. like took the troop back to the dealer. I actually forgot about it until a few days ago when I did the full throttle thing again. Now..... it aggravates me.

Has anyone tried this? Has anyone had this type problem?

Steve P.
    I've stomped mine to the floor from a stop or slight roll without any problem. I had TOD on. It just took off and wound out in 1st like normal. Maybe you have a problem with your limited slip diff.
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    My 2000s started doing the same thing 6-8 weeks ago. It even stalled on two different occasions - just after I started it. It turned out to be the gas I use. I almost always fill up at the same gas station, and was surprised to find, after I filled up at a different station, my problem immiedatly went away.

David
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    One time some years ago I got a tank of gas that fried 3 consecutive oxygen sensors before anyone figured out why...what a PITA that was!
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Sunday I had the unfortunate experience of backing into another vehicle (at a very slow speed) in the Lowe's parking lot.

I had a bunch of deck lattice in the vehicle with me, and had NO mirror visibility. (If Isuzu would put a freakin' rack on the roof, this wouldn't have happened...) Stupid me. Anyway, backing out REALLY slowly, there was a BUMP, so I jumped out and I had hit a Honda CRV. It had a grapefruit sized dent in the corner of it's bumper (black plastic, NOT painted thank goodness). Trooper: No damage visible! I was really surprised, as I haven't heard too many positive things about the stock bumpers. No scratch, ding, dent or warp. There must be metal frame behind the plastic trooper bumper, because the CRV's internal frame was about 5 inches away from the bumper material, allowing it to dent. We were able to pop out his dent right there, with virtually no residual damage.

I guess this is a credit to the Trooper (2000 Ltd 2WD), that their bumpers aren't total crap after all. If I had one of those extra protective bars installed, it probabably would have cut into or done more damage to the CRV. Just a thought.

Trooper Wins!

Andy
    Nashville