Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    30,190 is the correct price. This includes the destination charge. Honda News says so at the bottom of the page.
  • ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    Sam Swope Honda here in Louisville is quoting MSRP plus tax, license, and fees for internet sales. That's pretty much what you'll find elsewhere here in the area.
  • phoenix2001phoenix2001 Member Posts: 22
    I just got off the phone with a partner of a Canadian Honda dealership. He said that Honda is imposing CDN 3,000 penalties for each dealer caught selling an Odyssey to a US resident. No reason to doubt his sincerity since he was discouraging me from a sale.

So WTF is Honda doing and why? I understand there may be a big fight over allocations between Canada and US so I guess Honda Canada is trying to keep as much production for itself. Still, what happened to NAFTA?

Canadian 2002 MSRP has not come out but the partner has heard rumblings of CDN 1,500 over last year (about $1,000 vs. the $350 US increase in MSRP). In any case it might not really matter since you can still negotiate deals of CDN 1,500-2,000 below invoice for 2001's. Still looks like a gross $5,000 savings vs MSRP in the US.

Now here's a twist on the warranty issue. A Canadian resident who buys, registers and pays taxes on his Canadian Odyssey in Canada and subsequently moves to the US or is just vacationing in the US will have his warranty honored at any US Honda dealer. Makes sense since Canadian residents do move to the US from time to time and vice versa.

So yes, you can buy a Canadian Odyssey and subsequently register it in the US. But there are a lot of hoops to jump through. And Canadian taxes will have to be paid which can be much higher than your state's sales taxes (you will not need to pay your state sales taxes unless the Canada tax rate is less than your state rate).

Hmm, something to think about...
  • lenoblelenoble Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

Last week I ordered a 2002. There are four dealers near me. Two were
    $1500 over MSRP, the others sold at MSRP.

Barry
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The market in Canada is very different than in the US. Smaller market size, higher tax burden, less disposable income (?). As such, the product is priced differently than in the larger US market.

NAFTA has nothing to do with pricing or allocations - just duties. AFAIK, there is no tariff paid to the US government if you import one yourself.

Honda can do anything it wants with respect to the validity of its warranty. Many manufacturers invalidate the warranty of products used outside the market the product was destined for.

From some of your other posts, I sense you don't want to pay MSRP. Neither did I. But is the issue the money or paying MSRP? For me, it was MSRP. I knew I was going to spend $25K+. But once I shopped around and drove the competition, I realized that at MSRP, the Ody is a real value.

Good Luck
    I think the Ody is worth alot more than MSRP. But how each individual perceives value is besides the point since in my situation I need to shop for the lowest price possible and have some time to be patient.

One of the aims of NAFTA is the creation of a single market for the free movement of goods, prices and labor. Stupid stuff like this is just keeping open an artificial division. I think Californians would be quite outraged if Honda increased MSRP by $3K for California only but lowered it by $1K in Kentucky and placed restrictions on interstate warranty service.

Still, I think Honda Canada has some valid reasons for reserving such a high quota for Canadian vehicles, i.e. their plant is located there and they probably received some tax breaks in exchange for certain concessions, maybe this is one. It just seems like (actually it is) a restraint of trade to place these restrictions.
    I agree with you - everyone has their own perception of value. Luckily, you have the luxury of time. I wish you the best of luck in attaining your goal of the lowest price possible. That was my goal as well and MSRP was it at the time.

Yes, NAFTA's goal is the free movement of goods, services, and labor. But even today, that isn't the case. Since the governments of Canada, the US, and Mexico are still independent and each still have their own agenda and laws, NAFTA is not a complete success.

As for the example of Honda having different prices in California and Kentucky, it's apples vs oranges when comparing US and Canada. CA and KY are states under a common government and Honda can't invalidate interstate warranty claims under federal law. Since Canada is another country, albeit as a partner in an economic trade zone, Honda can have different rules there. As for different prices in different states, in reality there were market based price differences between CA and KY earlier this year but those were dealer created. Honda sets an arbitrary MSRP and lets the market reach the actual price.

Why do you think that Honda Canada is reserving product for their market? AFAIK, Odysseys are not languishing on the lots in Canada. Can anybody confirm this?

Canada is still a distinctive market seperate from the US and most Canadians appreciate this. Pricing has to be geared to the most local market possible. This pricing difference does not apply only to the Ody. For kicks and giggles, I ran the numbers on Accord EX-L 4 cyl Auto. In US, MSRP is US$23,790 - in Canada C$29,150. Based on exchange rate, Canadian Accord would run you about US$18,800. Are people rushing up to Canada to buy Accords?

Once again good luck in your quest.
  • nickv2nickv2 Member Posts: 5
    I am buying an 02 Ody EX. In SoCal, I have gotten prices of msrp + $700 at two dealers and msrp + $500 at one in San Diego. My issue, though, is about the warranty. I want the 7 year, 100K mile, extended warranty and have gotten prices of $1695 down to $1095. ALL of the dealer sales people, when asked, say the warranty is handled by "finance" and it is hard to get them pinned down on details. In no case have I been able to learn what kind of coverage is included. Any pointers to details about Honda warranty? Any info re "deductibles?" Dealers are quoting 30-60 day wait for delivery...
    Thanks, Nick
  • flxomacflxomac Member Posts: 13
    I have a sense that dealers are less agressive about charging huge premiums over msrp for 2002, and will stick with just msrp if you do not give in. best advice is to shop around, and look to Pennsylvania if need be. some dealers still trying to sell new 2001 ody, but at msrp. anyone knows this is not a deal, given what the 2002 has to offer for $350 more. I have two dealers come back to me with msrp offers on 2002 EX. I will call two more and see what shakes.
    I think dealers are a bit nervous about the local economy, i.e. layoffs, high personal debts, lower consumer confidence, and leftover 2001 models (Accords, Civics), and looking to build their waiting lists. Just my opinion.
  • rodeodawgrodeodawg Member Posts: 19
    My local dealership has called me twice practically begging me to get on the waiting list for a 2002 Ody and have mailed me the new brochure (and all I did was visit a few months and look at one). I get the sense that the local dealers are trying to keep demand high, in order to keep the prices high.
  • txjimtxjim Member Posts: 11
    Well, it appears to be a first for this board. I did get one at $500 under msrp. A dealer in houston quoted me msrp over the phone. When I told him I live 3 hours away and got that same deal 3 minutes away, he agreed to $500 under and a quicker delivery date. (early oct he says) This larger dealer gets a larger allocation, I guess.

Still need to get the detials like dealer ads,(if any) doc prep fees, etc. But I travel to houston a few times a month anyway. So flying there and driving back to austin is no big deal.
    Hmm, I better start buying all my cars from Canada if they are so cheap. Seems like Canadian MSRP is consistently lower than invoice for US cars.
  • mbc1263mbc1263 Member Posts: 4
    www.hondawarranty.net

This web site used to quote the Honda warranty online. They also used to have a comprehensive list of parts covered. Now it looks like it's been changed so you have to submit your contact information to get a quote. As of a month ago, the Odyssey 7/100, $50 deductible was something like $905, and $0 deductible was about $175 more. (Not sure if I'm remembering exactly.)

I got the 7/100/$50 plan for my '01 Accord LX for $765 - the dealer matched a quote from the above source with no hesitation.

You can buy the warranty from any Honda dealer up to 24 months/ 24,000 miles after your purchase without any surcharges. So don't let that hold your deal up.
  • bluewolvesbluewolves Member Posts: 1
    I just paid 26,300 for a 2001 ODY LX with the following add on:
    Roof rack with crossbars, CD player, Splash Gaurds, Fenderwell Trim, and cargo tray.This seemed like the best offer I could do in my area (50 mile radius).
  • banubanu Member Posts: 2
    Hello Folks,

I plan to buy a Honda Odyssey EX 2001/2002 and I am looking for dealers in the Dallas area. Do you know what the wait time is ?. Also, what is a good price to pay ?. Any advice / experience in a recent purchase would be of great help.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards, Banu
  • barry92barry92 Member Posts: 3
    txjim: I'd like that deal in the Houston area for $500 below MSRP -- can you specify which dealer you spoke to?

Thanks
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    If you're dealing with Russell Smith I got the same deal on an '01 last year. They gave me in out the door price with the quote. I'd think you should be able to get the same.

The only problem I had was they called up and said "your van is here we can only hold it three days before we release it to the next person on the wait list." So, I had to wait another week because I couldn't get down there at that time.

Otherwise, easiest vehicle purchase I've done.
  • mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    A word of advice: Don't go to Honda Cars of McKinney. It was less than honorable, shall we say, in terms of dealing. I paid more on the accessories than necessary. It's parts department cannot believe why the salesperson charged me more for some of the stuff that they have in stock.

Always check pricings on add-ons with parts first. Even better, buy from places like H&A Accessories to get good pricings, unless it's something you cannot install yourself.
  • txjimtxjim Member Posts: 11
    I guess I should have posted that info...
    I spoke with Chris Strimple at David McDavid. Number is 1800 948 1964- you can say you spoke with Jim from Austin and see if it helps you any. As I said he didnt come down the $500 right away. Let us know how you do. I did give him a credit card deposit over the phone and I did tape recorded the call saying the price and the fact the deposit was refundable at anytime. Just in case he isnt there when the car comes in. Was that too much?
  • bk5001bk5001 Member Posts: 7
    As a very satisfied customer of Lundgren Honda at Auburn MA ( http://www.lundgrenhonda.com), I would say that they are perhaps the BEST car dealership of ANY make in the country.

They are very upfront about their prices on all cars and have always sold Odyssey at MSRP without any add ons (perhaps the only dealer in the country that puts invoice prices and their sale prices side by side on its web site and on a big board in its store). I don't really know any one directly there - but they are great place to do business with, and get your after service (serve free breakfast to customers) and always wash your car. I have met no other dealership like theirs.

Check it out if you live near-by.

-- bk5001

ps: Only relationship I had with them was they serviced my 2000 Honda Accord SE. I moved to this area after buying car at a different dealership.

• jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    This topic has been kicked around quite a bit. There aren't substantial taxes for importing a Canadian car to the US. See MPV board, someone walked us through the steps. Fortunately, Mazda doesn't fine it's Canadian dealers and they even honor the warranty in the US. Honda is another story and for sure you won't get the Warranty honored. Two big taxes are GST which you get refunded once you register car in the US. Then there is PST Provencial Sales Tax - I am told you can get this refunded, but in any event you couldt buy it in Alberta where there is no Provincial Sales Tax. I checked a few cars and there are big big savings by importing from Canada to the US, e.g. Mazda MPV, Honda Odyssey, Ford Focus (ironically mfg in Mexico).
  • gowenlockgowenlock Member Posts: 11
    We are considering getting an Ody soon. Usually it's easy to negotiate your car price but then you get nailed by the finance people for all these extras. Since the Ody is selling for MSRP, have dealers been good about rolling things like the documentation fee into the retail price? And if not what is a reasonable price to pay for things like the documentation fee? Thanks for any help.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Linda, doc fees and prep charges vary from State to State. What's reasonable in Florida won't hold water in Oregon. Call a few dealers and ask about the doc or admin fee to get a feel for the charges in your area.
  • jrm2002jrm2002 Member Posts: 6
    NEW Honda Owner!
    Just picked up my 2002 EX Today. The first in the area I am told although I cannot confirm this!
    Paid MSRP 26,750 plus destination 440.00 and
    395.00 dealer Fee. Only additionals were sales
    tax,transfer fee, small amount for the usual battery fee and tire fee about 6.50 total.
    I cant Thank everyone on this site enough for
    all the Information made available that assisted in my purchase. Especially the Hosts.
    Thanks again, jrm2002
    Can anyone recommend a decent dealer in Calgary? I can haggle, I just don't want a dealer who does bait and switch or other crap. Thanks.
    Yea!!! I just got called and I am picking up my 02 EX Redrock Pearl Ody tomorrow. Am paying msrp+$700 and that includes a "required" interior/exterior protection package and a cargo tray. From a Los Angeles dealer off of the internet. Took ONE week from placing order. He said I was the first to order the Redrock Pearl. Yea!!! First new car in 9 years. Boy, am I excited!!! Now, let's see....hmmmm....what mods... Ok, leather steering wheel cover, yeh, wood dash inserts, yeh, new stereo speakers, yeh,, yeh, yeh!!!!!
    Nickv
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    I got it from the only Honda dealer in Alhambra, CA -- 10 minutes from the Union Amtrak Train Station in downtown LA. "Fred F."-internet contact- picked me up and drove me to the station. Great service!
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    ojc:

Goudy Honda Price is High! You should try Metro Honda in Montclair.
  • barry92barry92 Member Posts: 3
    Txjim -- thanks for the advice. I ordered a 2002EX in granite green today from Chris Strimple at David McDavid. Number is 1800 948 1964. Gave me $500 off MSRP without me even asking for it! Said because I was a referral, I'd get this price.

Thanks again.
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    Better than 700 over MSRP in LA is great! How much better?
  • tiny6tiny6 Member Posts: 6
    I'm on 3 waiting list's in Southern California for MSRP. Metro was the only one that didn't require a deposit. My RedRock Pearl EXL-RES is being made September 20th and I should have by Oct. 3rd. Can't wait.
  • janicesjanices Member Posts: 2
    We are trying to get a 2002 GG LX. We've also got our name in a Metro Honda at MSRP. I know there is a dealership in San Juan Capistrano selling at MSRP but there is a 3 month wait (too long for us as our current vehicle won't last that long). Can you tell me the other dealerships and contact name for the other MSRP dealerships and what your wait time has been?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    I was on 2 waiting list for my 01 EX both @ MSRP. Metro Honda (no deposit) and Spreen Honda ($200.00 deposit). Metro called me 1st time was 2 weeks after, I was out of town so I didn't call back until next day. 01 EX was sold to the other on the waiting list. 2nd phone call I got was another 2 weeks later. I went and picked up my 01 EX GG. Total waiting time was 1 month after I was on the waiting list. Metro told me I could get my Odyssey sooner if I don't care about the color.
  • janicesjanices Member Posts: 2
    Where is Spreen Honda located? phone number? We have a list of Honda dealers from the LA Times, but they aren't in the list.
  • ody4meody4me Member Posts: 4
    Spreen Honda is in Loma Linda, 909-799-7070. I'm working with Veronica in their Internet dept. $200 deposit taken over the phone. Hope to get my 2002 EXL-RES GG or RP in a few weeks!
    Janices:

Here is the address for Spreen Honda
    Spreen Honda
    25050 Redlands Blvd
    Loma Linda, Ca 92354
    (909)799-7070. Call Kathy Thomson.

I heard Valley Hi and Robertson Honda also has good price.

Valley Hi Toyota Honda
    14612 Valley Center Drive
    Victorville, CA 92392
    (760) 241-6484

Robertson Palmdale Honda
    455 Auto Vista Drive
    Palmdale, California 93550
    661-265-6000

But I didn't call either one of them since, they are on my 2nd tier of dealers (73 miles away).
    There are a number of dealers who sell right at MSRP. Our friend bjk2001 lists three of them here, there are some others.
  • chunglauchunglau Member Posts: 48
    Anyone has gotten close to MSRP for the '02 Odysseys in Northern California (Bay Area, Santa Clara county, etc.)? Best I know is $800 above MSRP from University Honda in Davis, and there is at least a 2 month wait.
    One dealer in the region is at MSRP but has a wait. You may have to go far north or to SoCal to get one at sticker.
  • ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    I can't believe what I'm seeing. Used 1999 Ody EX with nearly 50k miles where dealers are asking for just under $25k!!! I can't believe people would pay that price. For another $1k-$2k you can get a brand new 2001 or 2002 if you don't mind waiting.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    02 Odyssey, anyone know of MSRP at any dealers above LA and below Ft Bragg...central valley, Fresno, Placerville are fine..got tired of waiting for a 01 and now actively going after a 02.
  • viskhaviskha Member Posts: 35
    I just heard from a dealer selling a 2001 Odyssey (with Navigation) - it has 17,000 miles and is Honda "certified" and comes with a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. He is asking $28,972 - that is MORE than the original cost of a 2001 brand NEW van! (I realize many areas are selling over MSRP - but with 17K miles??).
    WOW!!
  • edcardedcard Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 Granite Green EXL-RES Odyssey from Maroone Hollywood in Florida. Paid $30,190 (MSRP + $440 Destination charge) + tax.

I e-mailed all the local dealers two days ago, requesting specific information (price, availability, etc.). Maroone was the first to respond with all the info I had asked for, but at first they wanted to add a $500 "Dealer Fee." Since the salesman had mentioned that they had just received two vans, I decided to go with my wife to see if she liked the colors as it will be hers. She liked it, they dropped the $500 fee, we bought.

I did get other comparable quotes from dealers in Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, so if you are looking in South Florida take the time to e-mail.
  • edwinfongedwinfong Member Posts: 25
    When I bought my 2000 Ody, Mel Rapton in Sacramento was selling at MSRP as
    well as the dealer in Merced. However at that time, the wait was several months
    on a list. You can get their addresses and phone numbers from the Honda website.
    Good luck on your search.
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    Deals are coming if one waits till full production in the plant in Alabama. Every dealers I talked to right now only ask for MSRP, nothing more than that. One of them in my area takes $440 off MSRP with free protection package too.
    Cars are going to become more plentiful with the new models arriving.

I'm seeing MSRP well to the north of the Bay Area and just outside Los Angeles. One dealer in San Diego County, one in Imperial and one in Kern County are quoting MSRP or close enough to it.
  • vish_1998vish_1998 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for 2002 LX model, any one has recent experience in or around Dallas area?
    So far got , MSRP offers .
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the tip on Spreen Honda. The best price we could find in the San Diego area was $685 above MSRP at Pacific Honda. All the other dealers were at least $1000 above that. I called Veronica at Spreen tonight, and she confirms MSRP for an EXL-RES with about a thirty day wait! Will I drive 200 miles to save over $700 (with tax and lic.)? You bet!

Since I have always dealt for my vehicles from invoice, this is difficult for me. But if this is the best I can do, I'll take it.

Raybear, if you know of a better price in San Diego, please let me know.