Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rjc8rjc8 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info. I will try that first.
  • janice15janice15 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the early stages of shopping for an Odyssey and would like to ask if you might have any advice. I currently own a '99 Olds Silo minivan. My Silo has had a few quirks, but for the most part it's been enjoyable. The power sliding door seemed to have a mind of its own. Alas, there was recall last spring for the power sliding door and it's only thinking for itself occasionally. As of July, the two year warranty period ended. Of course, at this point the check engine light illuminated and it took five visits to the dealer before this could be remedied. I am also very concerned with the poor crash test results.

So, hence the reason I think it may be time for a change. I visited my local Honda dealer and was able to test drive a 2002 Ody EX, which had a few dealer added options, and a sticker price of $29, xxx. It was a pleasant experience. The salesman also showed me a 2001 Ody EX. The 2001 was purchased wholesale from a Canadian dealer. The salesman indicated that since the vehicle was titled to the Canadian dealer, it has to be sold as used in the US, even though it only has 91 miles on the odometer. This used tag still carries a full warranty. The full warranty is 5yrs/60,000miles for the Canadian Ody. The other difference in the Canadian vs. US Ody is it has heated mirrors. Of course the 2001 seems to have the better price tag, but here's where I need some advice.
    Have you ever heard of this Canadian vs. US deal? What do you think of the 2001 price tag - $24,900?

If we make this purchase, my teenagers will certainly miss the independent sound system controls and headphone jacks. I hope they will get over it, or maybe they will stop asking us to shuttle them and there buddies to far and distant lands

I am going out again tomorrow and I would really appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks.
  • mtempel1mtempel1 Member Posts: 14
    Scroll up in this thread or the Honda Odyssey thread to find many discussions on the pros and cons of buying a Canadian Odyssey. I'm not sure, but I believe the big issue is that Honda will not honor a Canadian Odyssey warranty in the US. Hence, they usually offer some third party warranty (probably the 5yr/60K you mention). I also believe there are other places to buy a Canadian Odyssey, so you may not need to make the decision immediately with your dealer. Anyone else confirm this?
  • cchin2cchin2 Member Posts: 6
    Recently, I receive the following quotation
    from a Canadian dealer. All the prices are in CAN$

The 2002 Odyssey EX at $35,750 includes $850 Freight & PDI. The roof rail & fog light will come to $780.

It seems that it is marked up against the MSRP.
    Would anyone inform me the recent retail price paid?
  • phoenix2001phoenix2001 Member Posts: 22
    If you are in the Toronto area pay around CDN 2,000 BELOW MSRP and with no doc fees.

If you are in the Calgary area, pay around CDN 1,500 BELOW MSRP and also with no doc fees.

I know some people posted as much as CDN 2,050 below MSRP in Toronto. Check the posts, I think the person may even have mentioned the dealer.

Now this was all before September 11th so maybe better prices may be had.
  • bdpeccibdpecci Member Posts: 1
    New 2002 from Rousch in Columbus Ohio. Paid sticker price (including destination charge). Probably not the best deal possible, but I like the dealership and was treated very well.
  • perryc2perryc2 Member Posts: 1
    In August I ordered a 2002 Ody LX from Bronx Honda at MSRP with a promised delivery date of late September. September came and went and the sales manager is telling me that Honda is not shipping LX's now because the EX's are more profitable. He estimates late December at the earliest before one is available. He then offered me an EX which I declined. I think I'm getting snowed and I'm tired of waiting. Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone recommend a Honda dealer in the New York tri-state area selling at MSRP?
  • glance1glance1 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone used the credit union cbs buying service? If so with what results and can you pick the color? Can anyone give me advice. I am on the
    waiting list for the Virginia dealer with approx-
    iaemetely $2500.00 under sticker, but have to wait around 1 year from last September. Could use
    any advice and help thanks. Ordered EX.
  • vblcrazed1vblcrazed1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a 2002 Ody in the N. CA area recently? If so, how much did you pay and where did you buy it from? Thanks for any info given.
  • jpmbgoodjpmbgood Member Posts: 3
    sgreen4, thanks a bunch! We called the Petersburg, VA dealership and validated your claim (MSRP, only). Their processing fee is low, too (only $99). If that's not enough, the fella we spoke to is polite. Quite a refreshing change from what I've experienced over the years (19) with Honda dealerships. Now, if the Honda corporation would only stand-up a brokerage service, the competition would sure transform the dealership act. Anyway, thanks again!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah, I think you're getting snowed. I ordered a 2002 LX in August and have had it for a week now. They had actually predicted late October delivery and I ended up picking it up on October 5.

Route 23 Honda in Pompton Plains, NJ.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Mindy, the dealer in Ukiah sells at MSRP, he's likely out of inventory until December. Most Northern California business I've seen went to the LA/San Diego area for MSRP. There are a few other NorCal dealers at sticker, few and far between, and availability is an issue.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    Just picked up my 2002 RRP EXL wDVD at MSRP. Yep got it from Dennis at post above from raybear. Was a bit of a drive, but the most pleasurable experience at a new car dealership I have ever had. I am excited!
  • dnolsondnolson Member Posts: 1
    Help. I'm interested in buying a 2002 OdyEX, but don't truly need a minivan for another 6 months. Yesterday I visited the local dealer here in Idaho, and they had 5 EX Odysseys on the lot (2 were from Canada). I was floored when they told me they were asking $29995. I came home to do more research and now realize that they are asking more than 3K above MSRP. I was thinking of making an offer below MSRP, and if they're aren't interested than telling them to call if they change there mind (since I have 6 months to spare). Am I crazy? What is a reasonable offer given the high demand for Odysseys? I'd love some other opinions.

Thanks, Nicole
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Since you don't need the van for about 6 months start doing some research and look for dealers who will sell for MSRP and require the lowest deposit ($100 if you can). Tell them you don't need the van for 6 months, give the deposit and plan to call them in 3 months to remind them to get you in the allocation.

Or just wait 3 months before doing the above.

Good Luck
    In your area the dealers do get over MSRP. I would avoid a Candian car, due to warranty concerns.

You may have to travel just to get sticker, but wait a few months and see if supply catches up with demand.
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    or wait a few weeks and pay $700 less? I was on the waiting list for an EXL-RES at Pacific Honda in San Diego, at $685 over MSRP. From this board, I found that I could get one at MSRP at Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, which is about 125 miles from me. So I went on their list, too. Today, Pacific Honda called to say the van is in. When I called Spreen, they told me I was 6th on the list (had previously been told I was 2nd), and that the van should be in "the end of this month or the first couple of weeks of next month." I really need the van by Thanksgiving week, as we are driving to N.CA. for the holiday.

Any advice?

P.S. If I decide to wait, I have considered telling Pacific Honda that I can get one within the month at MSRP and see if they'll meet that. I'd rather drive 35 miles than 125!
    Joyce, I know a dealer in SoCal who has one for $200 over on the lot (silver). Another has one in November at MSRP, no promise on an exact date. I never had a problem with Spreen, but it sounds like they're giving preference to local buyers over you.
    I really thought Spreen was a good place, but now I'm starting to wonder. The lady I'm dealing with, though, seems to be a little bit of an airhead, so maybe it's just her. But I keep thinking, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

P.S. Who has one on the lot?
    No way kiddo! I'm holding it for my own customer! If he doesn't call me back I'll tell you.
  • larrychowlarrychow Member Posts: 13
    Where did you get the price of C$979 , as I am looking for one here in Vancouver BC Canada. I looking at a 2002 Honda Odyssey..
    Anyone else with a good price here in Canada??
    Sorry, that one just got sold.

Jim Maze up in Palmdale told me he has an EX-L w/ DVD available. You can try him. (661) 265-6000, tell him Ray sent you. I don't have any other customers for him so you should go there, he's a good guy.
    Guess what, raybear? I went into Pacific Honda today and told them I could get MSRP at Spreen in Loma Linda. They met the price, much to my surprise. (In fact, we were so unprepared for them to accept the offer that we took two cars. Now we have to go back tonight to pick the other one up.)

As for Spreen, it turns out I was the one who was confused. I was 6th on the list overall, but 2nd on the list for my color choice. Veronica has been very nice every time I talked to her.

The granite green is a nice color. It's almost like gray, not at all the color I thought it was. I like the darker leather, too.

Now, a question. What is the internet rate for 7/100,000/$0 HondaCare warranty for an EXL-RES? I've heard it's more because of the DVD system. Are the quotes around $900 with the DVD?

P.S. Thanks for all the tips and leads. I'm sure someone will be jumping on the EXL-RES in Palmdale!
    Glad Pacific went for it!

There have been a few posts regarding the Hondacare warranty, I'm sure someone here can give you a recommendation. I just do cars.
  • ritc2ritc2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm starting the search in southern New England (eastern CT, RI). Anyone out there have any idea what I can expect to pay, and who are the good/bad dealers?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's that message again with the warranty link:

billg7 "Honda Odyssey" Feb 8, 2001 7:27pm

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I knew the warranty info was in here somewhere, but couldn't find it!
    I checked with a coworker. He says you can expect MSRP, at least in Connecticut.

But watch those doc fees, $249 is common, some try for more.
  • sugsrisugsri Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone.Iam planning to buy a Honda Odyssey.Iam in Atlanta.Can anyone help me with the prevailing rate in this area?

I was also talking to a few dealers yesterday.Most of them gave me the MRSP rate.However when I called up Ed Voyels,he gave me a rate of 25890 for LX and 28500 for EX.However he told me that this is the selling price (which according to him is 1200 above MSRP).I was a bit confused with this.Are we not to pay the MSRP alone?IS the so called selling price different from the MSRP?

Can anyone let me know the best dealer in this area too who gives a good rate?I do not mind driving some way to get a better deal.

Lastly is it worth paying almost 2K more for the EX?
    How good is the navigation system?

PS:I can wait on buying the vehicle if it is going to reduce the price.

Any help is appreciated.
    Scroll up in the Honda Odyssey thread to about October 4 and read about my shopping experience. I bought at the dealership that you mention in your post.
  • num1momnum1mom Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone recently bought an Odyssey in Oregon. It seems that most dealers I've contacted want around $1000 or more over MSRP. In reading some of these recent posts, it seems that most people are paying just MSRP. I live in a smaller town and wonder if that is the reason they are charging more money. Possibly if I go to the big city of Portland, they may agree to MSRP.
    Thanks for the reply.However the dealers (Ed Voyles and Curry Honda) are not willing to sell the vehicle without the "package".Curry Honda quoted me 28235 with package (without th taxes,tags,titles etc)and a total of 31000 incl everything .I live in Dekalb where the tax is 7 percent.Ed Voyles quoted me 30855 incl package and taxes,tag and title.

These are the prices incl destination charges.Of course all these prices are for the EX model

Curry Honda's package consists of the cassette player (which I wanted anyway),acid rain protection,warranty against acid rain for 5 yrs,cross bars,cargo tray,mud guards,fender well trims

I was trying to get a quote without the package but they refused to give me a quote.Guess Iam stuck.Any tips or comments on these prices?

Thanks for all your help.
  • djwhitakerdjwhitaker Member Posts: 20
    I am in the Atl area too and will be buying an Odyssey sometime in the future. I have been watching these boards for some time, and have not heard too many stories of folks getting decent prices in Atlanta (decent meaning around MSRP), MTEMPEL1 being an exception (and good for you, MTEMPEL1!).

I believe there are some dealers within a few hours drive that people have gotten MSRP or lower. You might do some further investigating before you buy here in Atlanta. Personally, i will be willing to drive 3-4 hours to save $1500! I think i've seen the Honda dealer in Athens GA advertising in the AJC for around MSRP -- and that's only an hour away.

As for waiting, we are waiting a bit (til next spring), hoping that the increased production from the Alabama plan will cause prices to drop. Probably a bigger factor though (IMO) is whether the economy continues to do poorly, which nobody can predict.

Good luck, Please post anything you find out for us other poor Atlantans.
  • qduqdu Member Posts: 4
    I've talked to quite a few dealers here in northern and central Ohio. Most of them are willing to go $500 BELOW MSRP, however, having the right color on EX-L might take some time(late Nov.)

Any way, price dropping to $800 - $1,000 below MSRP is quite possible within one month or two, as dealers are getting more allocations. I'll keep you posted for the price I will pay, as I'm currently on several dealers' waiting list - earliest comes next week.(I was simply asked to put down some refundable deposit - which never runs on my credit card). Hope it helps.

John
    Thanks a ton for your tips.I too would not mind driving 4 to 5 hrs to save 1500.

By the way one question.When all of you talk about paying MSRP and just document fees,you are meaning MSRP plus taxes plus tags,titles and the document fes right?Probably is a stupid question but pardon me.This is going to be my first vehicle.

I travel a lot and take a lot of things with me all the time and need that space (which is one of the main reasons Iam going in for the Odyssey).I have used a Montero Sport,Chevy Trailblazer as well as Isuzu Rodeo.I used to fold down the 2nd row of seats in these vehicles to get the space.Now my question is "Will I get the same space as a Montero Sport (with the 2nd row of seats folded ) if I just fold the 3rd row of seats in the Odyssey?(The 2nd row of seats are still not removed or folded in the Odyssey)" Iam a bit hesitant to remove the 2nd row of seats just in case I need them sometime.

Thanks a lot again for your tips Mtempel1,djwhitaker as well as Jemson.This board is awesome.Very very helpful.
    Keep at it and wear em down. I guess my experience in Atlanta was due to timing, although we bought at the beginning of the month. If you wind up having to buy one of the packages, go for one where you actually receive something (like splash guards, crossbars, etc.) and not for the mystery package (like paint and carpet treatment). When I tried to negotiate the paint protection, they immediately removed it, making me think it may never have been on in the first place.
    I don't know how much space is available in any of those vehicles you mentioned, but the Ody with the third seat folded and the middle seats in place has plenty of room. Again, don't know how much room you need.
    Best of luck and please post your experience.
  • djwhitakerdjwhitaker Member Posts: 20
    You are correct: everyone pays destination ($440), doc fees, tax, tags, and title fees. When people talk about paying MSRP, they are talking about MSRP plus all of those other things.

Regarding space for hauling, yyou should check out the April '01 issue of Consumer Reports for dimensions in terms of how much stuff you can haul. i don't know if you will get an answer as specific as you need (2nd row seats folded in a Mitsubishi vs. 3rd row seat folded in Ody), but you will get a good sense. i can tell you flat out that they recommend minivans over SUVs for hauling stuff (and hauling people). plus if you fold the Ody's 3rd seat, you can still seat 4!

good luck. let us know how things turn out.
    Diane, I had a search for an Odyssey in Oregon last week. The Portland area came in up to $1500 over MSRP. We did better in southern Oregon and part of Washington.
  • ponch49ponch49 Member Posts: 17
    Larry, I dealt with Waterloo Honda in Ontario. Ph: 519-746-4120 (business manager). Again, I paid $970.00 Cdn plus tax for the 7 year/160kms comprehensive warranty without roadside assistance. I wanted added security for the power sliding doors on my EX. Thoroughly enjoy my 99 Odyssey but with the enhancements on the 02, I'm finding it hard not to upgrade.
    I'll be giving them a call about the warranty if the local dealers can't give me one for same price. The delivery time for a Honda LX is about 1week for C$31400 here in Vancouver Canada
  • uniblabuniblab Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,
    I have been following this and other Odyssey boards for the past 2 years and have learned so much info. I joined the UBS waiting list for an Odyssey in June 2000 and yesterday I picked up my 2002 Redrock Pearl EX from Brown's Arlington Honda, 15 months later. I paid 24,668 which includes destination. The MSRP is 27,190. There were no processing fees, no dealer add-ons and no surprises. I'm glad it's over and that I was able to learn so much from everyone on the forum.

Best regards,

Steve
  • dschmitt1996dschmitt1996 Member Posts: 9
    The key to buying in Atlanta is to look elsewhere. Sugsri, I had the same experience with you -- the appearance package was mandatory.

Did a lot of searching, and ended up with Mike Patton Honda in La Grange. Did everything over e-mail, fax, and phone, and they even drove the car to Atlanta for me. The deal was good -- $250 under MSRP. Some deals I found were $500 under MSRP, but they were further away and wouldn't deliver. I figured it was worth it to save a day's drive, and to deal with a Ga dealer who knew the state paperwork.

Car arrived on time, as promised, no hassles whatsover. Highly recommended.

I worked with Chris Assaf. She's the internet sales manager. (706) 882-0600. Tell her David Schmitt referred you, please.

Good luck!
    Could you please tell me the name of the company supplying the warranty so I can check around to see which dealers offer that specific warranty ?
    Thanks.. Larry Chow
    I am on the waiting list for $2500.00 of sticker at the same dealer. Did you get to pick the color before hand? Did they keep you posted on your status? Does anyone else have any info on the UBS experience? Uniblab is there anyway for you to call me or vice versa? I would like to discuss the UBS service with someone in more detail?
    Thanks..........
  • robgrantrobgrant Member Posts: 5
    Could you please tell me the dealer where you got the LX quote @ $31 400 from? I assume this is without freight/ PDI and for an '02 Odyssey. I live in Victoria and am looking for an EX.
    Thanks.....
    Try Quinella Auto New Car purchase plan, His Victoria # is 250-658-6580. I have and many others have purchased vehicles from him. Let me know how it goes. I plan to keep my vehicle for a long time which is why I am not going for an EX. Afraid of the auto sliding doors giving me trouble in the future, however want the auto air .
    PS.. price that I quoted before is complete less local/fed taxes
    I called Waterloo Honda (Errol) and I need your "real name" on the contract. They will give me the same price (YEAH!!) but need your name. My e-mail address is larrychow@hotmail.com if you don't want to put up on here.
    Just called Robert @ Quinella. Thanks for the contact. I take your point about the power doors on the EX.
    You got a GREAT price!
    '02 EX-L $36,440 Canadian = $23,139 USD (roughly).

Thanks again to Larrychow!